PDA

View Full Version : In The 1st Round TT Should Have Taken....

Joemailman
04-14-2013, 10:33 AM
2005: The Pick: Aaron Rodgers

Comment: Like a lot of people, I wanted a defensive player. Over the years though, I've kind of decided this pick was okay. :D

2006: The Pick: A.J. Hawk

Comment: With Mario Williams going #1, I was torn between Hawk and Ngata. Ngata would have been better.

2007: The Pick: Justin Harrell

Comment: Obviously, anyone would have been an upgrade. I wanted Dwayne Bowe here. I stand by my pick.

2008: The Pick: Traded out of the 1st Round and took Jordy Nelson in the 2nd.

Comment: Although the Packers got nothing for trading down (TT picked Brian Brohm with the extra pick they got), I'm okay with this pick. Not a lot of impressive players were taken late 1st and early 2nd round.

2009: The Pick: B. J. Raji

Comment: At the time, I wanted Orakpo, who would have been a fine pick. However, since TT probably wouldn't have traded up to get Matthews if he had drafted Orakpo, this worked out.

2010: The Pick: Brian Bulaga

Comment: As Bulaga started to slip through the middle of the 1st Round, I was praying he would slip to the Packers. He did, and it was the right pick.

2011: The Pick: Derek Sherrod

Comment: Although I haven't given up on Sherrod, Jabaal Sheard or Brooks Reed would have been good picks here. However, if Sherrod becomes a quality LT, the pick will be justified.

2012: The Pick: Nick Perry

Way too early to judge Perry, but Harrison Smith and Doug Martin had outstanding rookie seasons. Because I'm a homer, I'm sticking with the Perry pick (for now).

Comments?

pittstang5
04-14-2013, 11:33 AM

Comment: Like a lot of people, I wanted a defensive player. Over the years though, I've kind of decided this pick was okay. :D

Comment: With Mario Williams going #1, I was torn between Hawk and Ngata. Ngata would have been better.

Comment: Obviously, anyone would have been an upgrade. I wanted Dwayne Bowe here. I stand by my pick.

Comment: Although the Packers got nothing for trading down (TT picked Brian Brohm with the extra pick they got), I'm okay with this pick. Not a lot of impressive players were taken late 1st and early 2nd round.

Comment: At the time, I wanted Orakpo, who would have been a fine pick. However, since TT probably wouldn't have traded up to get Matthews if he had drafted Orakpo, this worked out.

Comment: As Bulaga started to slip through the middle of the 1st Round, I was praying he would slip to the Packers. He did, and it was the right pick.

Comment: Although I haven't given up on Sherrod, Jabaal Sheard or Brooks Reed would have been good picks here. However, if Sherrod becomes a quality LT, the pick will be justified.

Way too early to judge Perry, but Harrison Smith and Doug Martin had outstanding rookie seasons. Because I'm a homer, I'm sticking with the Perry pick (for now).

Comments?

2006 - Vernon Davis and Hawk were the two main players the Packers were slated to go for. I wanted Hawk, glad we got him at the time. I don't want to start a Hawk debate, but he's been a good player for the team. He's solid, assignment sure, very little injury history, he's taken a pay cut...twice to help the team. He's not huge playmaker or world beater. He wasn't advertised as such when he was drafted. He was touted as the "Safest" pick in the draft - Has he lived up to that, I think so. In retrospect, is he worth the # 5 pick, probably not, but he is what he is. Looking at it now, still glad we got Hawk over Davis.

As for Ngata, well, yeah, I'd rather have him NOW over Hawk, but didn't he have some kind of injury concern at that time. I can't quite remember, but there was something with Ngata.

Bretsky
04-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Comments?

FIRST OFF, GREAT IDEA FOR A THREAD; I'm a bit less forgiving than you are :)

2006--Ngata over Hawk.....no brainer...

2007- Justine Harrell....pretty much anybody over this dud. Tons of good players picked ahead of him and tons of busts in that round picked below him. Everybody knows I loved My favorite Meachem. Bowe is a better player.....Bowe it is. Heck, anybody over Justine

2008- Jorday Nelson- I'm fine with Nelson....I did like Desean Jackson better, and when we were picking I was pounding the table for Brandon Flowers...a solid CB. Rather than BROHM we should have picked Jamaal Charles in round two. That would have been a WOW trade then

2009--BJ Raji- Pretty well documentated I wanted Michael Crabtee.....the light switch is starting to turn on for the Dirty Crab. Rodgers to the Dirty Crab would be a nice combo. Raji was less than impressive last year. I'd probably stick with Raji....but I'd call myself undecided here

2010- Bryan Bulaga--I did like Jerrry Hughes, who has been a bust. The correct pick here would have been Dez Bryant

2011- My favorite Sherry......Brooks Reed...no brainer....although in GB with our needs, Sheard also would have been a better pick. SIDENOTE....Round 3.....I really wanted Sam Acho...LB...instead of Alex Green..........still do

2012- Nick Perry--a good example of wagon jumping. Many, including me, noted pre draft how he was not a great fit for a 3-4 and most of the scouting reports noted this as well. When all of the 3-4 pass rushers were snapped right ahead of GB's pick.....GB nabbed him....and everybody jumped on his wagon. I think he still "might" turn out OK, but I'll take Harrison Smith at Safety. Doug Martin is also a no brainer.....if we are saying...who "should" TT have picked....you go with Martin.....but none of us at the time would have leaned that way.

Guiness
04-14-2013, 12:46 PM
2006 - Vernon Davis and Hawk were the two main players the Packers were slated to go for. I wanted Hawk, glad we got him at the time. I don't want to start a Hawk debate, but he's been a good player for the team. He's solid, assignment sure, very little injury history, he's taken a pay cut...twice to help the team. He's not huge playmaker or world beater. He wasn't advertised as such when he was drafted. He was touted as the "Safest" pick in the draft - Has he lived up to that, I think so. In retrospect, is he worth the # 5 pick, probably not, but he is what he is. Looking at it now, still glad we got Hawk over Davis.

As for Ngata, well, yeah, I'd rather have him NOW over Hawk, but didn't he have some kind of injury concern at that time. I can't quite remember, but there was something with Ngata.

I thought age was the knock against Ngata, but he was 22 when he came out - not fully mature, but not a kid either.

Wasn't there a 19yr old DT that entered the draft around that time, and no one knew what he would become? Nigerian I think.
Ok, found him - Amobi Okoye, did enter the draft at 19, taken #10 a year after Ngata.

wist43
04-14-2013, 01:31 PM

Comments?

2005 - The one guy I remember wanting was Justin Tuck. Liked Odell Thurman, with the caveat that he might be undraftable b/c of character.

Didn't like the Rodgers pick at all b/c I wanted defensive help to make one last push toward a SB while we still had Favre. The odds that Rodgers would become the best QB in the league were long, and with more defense we might have been able to get 1 SB with Favre.

2006 - Wanted Davis or Ngata.

2009 - Wanted Raji, was okay with Matthews. TJ Lang is an average starter, but he's in the lineup.

2010 - No complaints with this draft.

2011 - Hated the Sherrod pick. Our defense needed a lot of help, and TT all but ignored it. Setting an NFL record for passing yds allowed futility led to The Great Panic of 2012, i.e. TT all-defense 2012 draft.

2012 - TT's panic draft. We'll see how it works out. I like a lot of the players, but Capers has breathed in too much hair spraypaint and is perfectly capable of making a mess it.

2013 - TT needs another 'panic draft'. This time focused on both lines and LB's.

pittstang5
04-14-2013, 01:34 PM
I thought age was the knock against Ngata, but he was 22 when he came out - not fully mature, but not a kid either.

Wasn't there a 19yr old DT that entered the draft around that time, and no one knew what he would become? Nigerian I think.
Ok, found him - Amobi Okoye, did enter the draft at 19, taken #10 a year after Ngata.

Nah, it wasn't age. It was either an injury or rumor that he failed a drug test. If I get time, I'll research it.

Joemailman
04-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Nah, it wasn't age. It was either an injury or rumor that he failed a drug test. If I get time, I'll research it.

Ngata missed his sophomore year with a knee injury in the 1st game.

3irty1
04-15-2013, 08:42 AM

Comment: I couldn't complain with the value.

Comment: I wanted Hawk. IMO Ngata needed Ray Lewis literally breathing down his neck to become the player we know today. I'm not sure he'd be the same force had we picked him. Hawk was as good as a LB prospect can be. Of course in retrospect there are almost always better options.

Comment: I wanted Lynch and when Buffalo took him right before us I was kind of heartbroken. I guess I would have preferred a trade up. Harrell was a damn fine prospect though, freakishly strong. He could have been a force for us had his back stayed together.

Comment: I wasn't thrilled with this pick. I was psyched when we took Pat Lee and later when we took Jeremy Thompson. Shows what I know.

Comment: I also wanted Orakpo but there were 3 or 4 guys I'd rather have than Raji. Ted played it better than I would have.

Comment: No brainier pick. This was the perfect guy for our fit, a need pick, and an amazing value at the time. Every GM worth a shit makes the same choice.

Comment: My draft board at this time was Sherrod, Houston, then Cobb. Didn't want Brooks Reed at all, still don't. We got Cobb in the 2nd, Houston fell forever into the 3rd or 4th round but probably shouldn't have. He's been more productive than Reed. Sherrod filled a need, and was a top prospect at a premium position. OLB was our number 1 need this off season though and nothing serious was done to address it. I'm not going to say it cost us a superbowl but a bookend for Matthews like Houston might have been enough to sure up our defense and make this a 19-0 team.

For me the choice was Perry or Upshaw. Didn't want the guy everyone was pimping in Shea McClellin and was thrilled when he went to the Bears before us. Perry was the right choice IMO. He is a athletic freak and a hard worker. It didn't bother me how stiff he looked in coverage, we need him to set the edge and rush the passer.

smuggler
04-15-2013, 10:43 AM
3irty, I pretty much agree with you wholesale.

Fritz
04-16-2013, 06:11 AM
As do I. I wasn't thrilled with Hawk, but I didn't want that babypants Davis, either. And without hindsight, how many people were really pushing for Ngata? He didn't go til eleven anyway, I think.

So how did ol' Shea McClellin do this year? Anybody know? Lots of Rats had boners (or bulging clitori) for that guy.

smuggler
04-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Not me. I was happy when he went to the Bears. I thought he was a mid-2nd round prospect because he was too small.

3irty1
04-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Not me. I was happy when he went to the Bears. I thought he was a mid-2nd round prospect because he was too small.

My problem with him was that he was only an average athlete and just not that productive in college. 7 sacks playing in the WAC?

Perry only played 6 games but still produced as much as McClellin did in 14 games.

Perry: 6 games played, 18 tackes, 2 sacks
McClellin: 14 games played, 14 tackles, 2.5 sacks

Upshaw has been by far the biggest contributor thus far: 16 games played, 60 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 FF

Joemailman
04-16-2013, 03:56 PM
As do I. I wasn't thrilled with Hawk, but I didn't want that babypants Davis, either. And without hindsight, how many people were really pushing for Ngata? He didn't go til eleven anyway, I think.

So how did ol' Shea McClellin do this year? Anybody know? Lots of Rats had boners (or bulging clitori) for that guy.

There was some interest in Ngata. However, the real debate as I recall it, was between Hawk and Mario Williams. No one thought Williams would be the #1 pick until draft day. I think the expectation was that Bush would be #1.

Guiness
04-16-2013, 05:47 PM
There was some interest in Ngata. However, the real debate as I recall it, was between Hawk and Mario Williams. No one thought Williams would be the #1 pick until draft day. I think the expectation was that Bush would be #1.

You think? The national media was so busy slobbering over his (oops, him - Freudian slip there) that there was not even a second thought about who would go #1 until Houston announced they had Williams signed the night before the draft. The talking heads then shifted gears and talked about what a gift Houston had given the Saints. They were all dumbfounded, I doubt you'll find a single mock draft for that year that doesn't like Bush as the #1 pick.

I wanted a DE, but with Mario gone there were none worth picking there. Tamba Hali looked interesting, and I'd hoped he'd be around for our 2nd round pick, but KC made what was considered a reach at the time, taking him at #20.

red
04-16-2013, 06:49 PM

i really liked the a-rod pick. the favre retirement watch was already in full swing and the guy who was almost the top pick falls all the way to us. how in the hell did all those other teams not need a QB?

bush, hawk and ngata where my 3 favorite players in the draft. when it was clear that reggie wouldn't be there at 5, i was excited to get hawk. if we had known at the time that we would be switching to the 3-4, then ngata would have been a no brainer. however in the end, they took the guy i wanted them to take

this draft was on the same day as my grandmothers funeral. i had to listen to the pick in the car on the way home. when they announced the pick i put my head in my hands and cried for the first time that day. i also remember thinking it was the worst thing that had happen to me in a while. in short, i hated the pick then, and hate the pick even more now.

brandon "fucking" flowers was the guy i wanted, but we traded down and lost him. i wasn't too keen on the jordy pick, and i was pretty bitter over not getting flowers. flowers has become a good CB, but jordy has more then proven he was the right pick

wanted raji all along, very happy with that pick. at the time i don't remember being too thrilled with the other guy we took in the first round. i thought CMIII was an OK prospect but might not have been worth all the draft picks we gave up to get him. oh well

wanted bulaga all along, got bulaga. seems to be a nice pick

sherrod was one of a handful of guys i liked leading up to the draft and i was happy when we got him. this might be my one big draft fail

i really liked nick perry. everything i was reading leading up to the draft told me he was the best pass rusher in the draft. I'm expecting big things from him this season

Fritz
04-17-2013, 06:07 AM
So what was worse, your grandmother's funeral or the Justin Harrell pick?

Pugger
04-17-2013, 09:35 AM

i really liked the a-rod pick. the favre retirement watch was already in full swing and the guy who was almost the top pick falls all the way to us. how in the hell did all those other teams not need a QB?

bush, hawk and ngata where my 3 favorite players in the draft. when it was clear that reggie wouldn't be there at 5, i was excited to get hawk. if we had known at the time that we would be switching to the 3-4, then ngata would have been a no brainer. however in the end, they took the guy i wanted them to take

this draft was on the same day as my grandmothers funeral. i had to listen to the pick in the car on the way home. when they announced the pick i put my head in my hands and cried for the first time that day. i also remember thinking it was the worst thing that had happen to me in a while. in short, i hated the pick then, and hate the pick even more now.

brandon "fucking" flowers was the guy i wanted, but we traded down and lost him. i wasn't too keen on the jordy pick, and i was pretty bitter over not getting flowers. flowers has become a good CB, but jordy has more then proven he was the right pick

wanted raji all along, very happy with that pick. at the time i don't remember being too thrilled with the other guy we took in the first round. i thought CMIII was an OK prospect but might not have been worth all the draft picks we gave up to get him. oh well

wanted bulaga all along, got bulaga. seems to be a nice pick

sherrod was one of a handful of guys i liked leading up to the draft and i was happy when we got him. this might be my one big draft fail

i really liked nick perry. everything i was reading leading up to the draft told me he was the best pass rusher in the draft. I'm expecting big things from him this season

It is way too early to declare Sherrod a bust. Guys do come back from this kind of injury (see Flanagan, Mike).

Patler
04-17-2013, 09:43 AM
It is way too early to declare Sherrod a bust. Guys do come back from this kind of injury (see Flanagan, Mike).

The difference is that even in his limited time in training camp as a rookie, Flanagan had made a positive impression. Sherrod, not so much, even being around a lot longer as a rookie, albeit in somewhat of a state of flux as to position, and without any rookie program before camp. I didn't have a good feeling about Sherrod even before his injury.

Smidgeon
04-17-2013, 10:13 AM

I think it was about ten picks before the Packers when I saw Rodgers on the board and knew that he'd fall to us. I hung on in anticipation, knowing I was right but hoping I wouldn't be wrong. When he fell to us and TT grabbed him, I was excited. But a tiny part of me was wondering why he fell so far. Turns out there were reasons. But the reasons were correctable with his time as a backup, and it turned out to be a great pick.

I was also excited for Mike Hawkins that year. Shows how much I know.

Once the draft rolled around and we knew Mario would be gone (who I really wanted), it came down to Davis or Hawk for me. I don't think it had dawned on me how a dominant TE could affect the game in the coming years, and I didn't want someone who didn't want to be in GB. So I reluctantly settled for the "safe" Hawk, whom I didn't expect to be a world-beater but was the best remaining from my limited perspective.

This was the year I didn't know quite who I wanted. I think I was leaning towards Lynch and Revis. But with both of them off the board, I wouldn't have known who to covet. So after the draft, I read up on this Harrell kid and ended up being sold. I still think it was a good pick for his talent. He just ran into bad luck with injuries.

I so wanted either Rodgers-Cromartie or Felix Jones. With both of them off the board when GB picked, I had hoped for Brandon Flowers. I was still hoping for Flowers after the trade, but he was taken right before the Packers selected. At that point, I just didn't know who I wanted as my draft research only usually covers two-three guys who sound nice. This was a good year of proving that I don't know a thing about the draft.

Another year proving I know nothing about the draft. I wanted Crabtree from the beginning and remember being very disappointed when TT selected Raji with Crabtree still on the board. This might end up being one where I'm right by accident if Raji plateaus and Crabtree keeps ascending. I was surprised when GB traded back into the first round, but don't remember a thing about how I felt about that pick. Probably so disappointed in missing out on Crabtree still.

I wanted CJ Spiller, but knew he'd be gone long before the Pack selected (I'm noticing a pattern in my draft desires: Lynch, Spiller, Jones--I've been wanting that RB). At that point, I wanted either Bulaga or Pouncey, but with Pouncey off the board when the Pack picked, I was content with Bulaga.

I remember not really knowing who I wanted here. I wasn't strong on anyone since I pretty much determine who I want based on name recognition via PR, pundits, and mock drafts, and when you get down to the end of the round, there isn't as much of a clear cut rankings of players as you get in the top 10. I think I wanted Ingram, but I was mostly indifferent to this pick. I just didn't know enough.

Overall though, this was a draft where I was pretty happy with all the picks through Round 5. After that, the three 6s and two 7s felt like a crap shoot, so I didn't expect too much.

I admit it. I was drinking the Shea kool-aid in this draft. And I'm glad we didn't get him. I think I'm happier with Perry, even though I didn't know who I wanted when the pick rolled around.

As a side note, this was also the draft I was most impressed with top to bottom. None of them seemed like blind swings like the end of the previous year. They all seemed like they had ability and the potential to be impact players. They still could be.

red
04-17-2013, 11:04 AM
So what was worse, your grandmother's funeral or the Justin Harrell pick?

the harrell pick by far

red
04-17-2013, 11:12 AM

I wanted CJ Spiller, but knew he'd be gone long before the Pack selected (I'm noticing a pattern in my draft desires: Lynch, Spiller, Jones--I've been wanting that RB). At that point, I wanted either Bulaga or Pouncey, but with Pouncey off the board when the Pack picked, I was content with Bulaga.

i wanted spiller too, but knew he would be gone. in fact i spent the whole season watching clemson games just to watch CJ. one other thing that caught my eye was a young freshman RB they had that took some carries away from spiller. he was damn good too.

andre ellington

and i'm starting to see a couple mock drafts having us take him in the second

Pugger
04-17-2013, 01:20 PM
The difference is that even in his limited time in training camp as a rookie, Flanagan had made a positive impression. Sherrod, not so much, even being around a lot longer as a rookie, albeit in somewhat of a state of flux as to position, and without any rookie program before camp. I didn't have a good feeling about Sherrod even before his injury.

Foolishly the coaches tried him out at guard and he is no guard. From what I remember hearing at the time of his injury he was making decent progress at tackle.

Patler
04-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Foolishly the coaches tried him out at guard and he is no guard. From what I remember hearing at the time of his injury he was making decent progress at tackle.

Ya, I already acknowledged the position issue in my earlier post, but I don't think of it as much of an excuse. He wasn't there that long. Besides, it is no different than what Lang, Bulaga, Newhouse and others went through as rookies. Lang bounced all over the place as a rookie, and played pretty well. Bulaga looked to be taking the starting job away from Colledge at LG until a late training camp injury took him out for a couple weeks. Then, as soon as he got healthy, he ended up going in at RT for Tauscher with virtually no practice time there at all. Newhouse didn't play as a rookie, but Tony Moll started at both guard and tackle at different times as a rookie. Moll was no great shakes as a rookie, but I worried less about him, even as he switched from one position to another, than I did about Sherrod when he had to go in.

What I heard about Sherrod in 2011 felt to me more like the typical fluff we see in off-season articles. I also acknowledge that some on here also seemed to see him making a little progress. Can't say that I did, but I also admit to not knowing that much about it.

Just saying all this to emphasize that my concerns about Sherrod have more to do with his performance as a rookie than with the injury he sustained. The injury simply adds to it.

I haven't given up hope for him; and I really, really hope I am wrong in my concerns.

smuggler
04-17-2013, 03:35 PM
If you think Lang played well as a rookie... Well, I just don't know. Even Bulaga was only 'meh' until the end of the 2010 season.

Patler
04-17-2013, 04:01 PM
If you think Lang played well as a rookie... Well, I just don't know. Even Bulaga was only 'meh' until the end of the 2010 season.

As a rookie, Lang came in at LT, when Colledge stunk up the joint in place of Clifton, and Lang played quite well in a couple games. There was a lot of interest in him going into his second year, during which he disappointed by his own admission.

Lang almost seems to be on an every-other-year performance schedule, decent in years 1 & 3, not so much in years 2 & 4. This year should be a good one!

Joemailman
06-20-2016, 07:06 PM

Comments?

An update: :

2013: The Pick: Datone Jones

Comment: Deandre Hopkins should have been the pick here.

2014: The Pick: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Comment: With Shazier and Mosley gone, this was the correct pick. BPA meets need.

2014: The Pick: Damarious Randall

Comment: It's early, but I'm okay with this pick. I might have taken Eric Kendricks though.