the_idle_threat
08-23-2006, 02:02 AM
Dropping the ball

Rookie Rodgers hasn't caught on

By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 22, 2006

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/aug06/cr822.jpg

Green Bay - Time grows short for Cory Rodgers, the Green Bay Packers wide receiver who is on the verge of a distinction that no rookie would ever want.

A fourth-round draft choice from Texas Christian, Rodgers has done next to nothing as a receiver or returner. Despite a signing bonus of $465,120, it's possible that Rodgers could be the odd man out at the position when general manager Ted Thompson picks his 53-man roster on Sept. 2.

"No, I'm not worried about that at all," Rodgers said Tuesday night. "If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I come to practice every day just thinking that I'm here."

It isn't often that players drafted as high as the fourth round don't hang around with their original team for at least one season.

The last Packers draftee in the first four rounds who was released during his first training camp and never spent any time with the club in any category was nose tackle Rollin Putzier. That was 18 years ago. Vice president Tom Braatz and coach Lindy Infante drafted him in the fourth round out of Oregon and then let him go on Aug. 29, 1988.

Last season, only four rookies in the National Football League who were drafted within the first four rounds were waived in camp. The list included two third-round choices, Carolina defensive tackle Atiyyah Ellison and Denver running back Maurice Clarett, and two fourth-round wide receivers, Craphonso Thorpe of Kansas City and Fred Gibson of Pittsburgh.

In 2004, the only selection in the first four rounds who was out of football by the start of the regular season was defensive tackle Anthony Maddox of Jacksonville.

Certainly, the economics of the sport impact job security for premium draft picks. When teams pay that kind of money, they generally will give a prospect every benefit of the doubt to prove they were wrong in the draft evaluation process.

By most accounts, Rodgers rates right up there with offensive lineman Daryn Colledge as the most disappointing among Thompson's 12 draft choices this year.

"But I wouldn't say that," Thompson said. "He's working hard at it and we'll see. That's why you go through this whole process. You try not to jump to any conclusions and see how it pans out."

The release of veteran Marc Boerigter left the Packers with 10 wide receivers. Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson and rookie Greg Jennings are locks. Veteran Rod Gardner appears to have the inside track on the No. 4 job.

At this point, Rodgers would seem to be battling free agent Ruvell Martin of Saginaw Valley State for what is expected to be the fifth and final spot.

Moments after making Rodgers the 11th wide receiver taken in the draft, special teams coach Mike Stock pronounced Rodgers as his first choice to bail out the team's sickly punt and kickoff return games.

But it wasn't long into the off-season that Rodgers started his bad-hands routine fielding punts. The words of an NFC special teams coach before the draft came to mind: "He's erratic catching the ball. He's not disciplined how he does it. He carries the ball loosely."

Rodgers' fumbling ways continued day after day in camp. Then he muffed one Saturday night against Atlanta on a play that was brought back by penalty.

At this point, the Packers seem ready to go with Charles Woodson and Jennings on punts.

All Stock would say Monday when asked if there still were hope for Rodgers as a punt returner was, "We'll see. We'll see. We'll see."

When Thompson said, "He's got to catch the punts better," it was about the harshest criticism the reticent GM would ever offer.

The problem for Rodgers is he seems to be even further away from being able to contribute on offense.

Coach Mike McCarthy doesn't give playing time to people who don't know what they're doing. That's essentially why Rodgers didn't play a single snap against Atlanta after receiving eight or nine in San Diego. He has been taught to play only split end, another factor limiting his role in the offense.

"It's the depth of the route or when to come out of it and how to pivot, that kind of thing," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "I think he knows what to do. It's a matter of getting the right technique. In this offense, the passing game is all timing. If you're too late or too soon or you come out of it the wrong way, you're not going to be there for the quarterback."

Rodgers, who scored 14 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, gave up his junior year to enter the draft. Jimmy Robinson, the veteran wide receivers coach, said the underclassman factor shouldn't be underestimated.

"That's a tough climb for a guy," Robinson said. "He's trying hard to take the coaching. It's a gradual thing. It doesn't come easy sometimes to some guys."

Moreover, Rodgers lacks great size (6 feet, 192 pounds) and speed (a 4.59-second 40-yard dash at the combine). Described by Thompson in April as "a very, very competitive guy," Rodgers has dropped too many passes and flashed only a couple of times on long sideline routes.

"I have no regrets," Rodgers said. "This is my first training camp and I wasn't expecting to come out here and be the most dazzling. People don't get to come in as rookies and get to have quick impact like Greg Jennings. I'm just here waiting for an opportunity."

Rodgers' career in Green Bay was only a month old when he was involved in an incident in Fort Worth in which he ended up pleading guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge. He was placed on 15 months' probation, fined $500 and ordered to perform 80 hours of community service with at-risk youth after the season.

Did the misdemeanor offense distract Rodgers? Is it one reason why he appears to have underachieved in the first month?

"No, not at all," Rodgers replied. "It's something that happens in life. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. That can happen to anybody. That was just a learning experience."

Now Rodgers has 10 days to convince the Packers that he wasn't a wasted draft pick.

Tony Oday
08-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Wasted pick. Should have fired his arse when he got in trouble!

woodbuck27
08-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Wasted pick. Should have fired his arse when he got in trouble!

Can you figure this fella? What in the name of....

Why the struggle to field punts at this stage in TC?

I sense he's going to be cut.

oregonpackfan
08-23-2006, 01:31 PM
I agree that Corey Rodgers appears to be a wasted pick.

I stated from before the draft that the Packers should have picked WR Mike Hass from Oregon State. Winner of the Fred Biletnikoff Award as the nation's best receiver, Hass broke virtually all the receiving records not only for OSU but many records for the Pac-10.

Hass is known for having incredible hands, running quick, sharp routes, and being the "Go-to" receiver in clutch situations.

Hass is also a very intelligent player on and off the field. He earned his Civil Engineering degree in just 4 years as well as being a Division 1 football player. The article states that Rodgers has struggled learning just one receiver position. I am confident Hass could easily learn all the receiver positions the Packers have in their playbook.

The Saints chose Hass in the fifth round. He was drafted relatively low because his timed 40 yard dash best was 4.55. I believe another factor is his low selection is that Hass is white. Many scouts and coaches have the bias that few, if any, white players have the speed or talent to play WR at the pro level.

I do think the selection of Greg Jennings was justified ahead of Hass. At the same time, I think Mike Hass has a much greater chance of making it in the pros that Cory Rodgers.

Am I biased towards Mike Hass? You bet! I have watched him start and excell for the Beavers the past 3 years. He will surprise many people as a pro player.

Meanwhile, the Packers appear to have squandered a 4th round pick on Rodgers.

Oregonpackfan

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2006, 01:45 PM
I would have liked Demetrius Williams--although I'm not sure how he's doing. I also had Hank Baskett ranked higher.
:D

Homer Jay
08-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Please tell us, how is Mr. Haas doing in trainging camp this year?

Patler
08-23-2006, 02:01 PM

He's not listed on their 3-deep chart at either WR position for the Saints, but he is still on their roster.

He has 3 receptions for 28 yards in preseason, which puts him behiind Jamal Jones, (a name from Packer past) who has 4 for 41 yards.

Homer Jay
08-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Maybe Haas would have been the answer, but winning the Biletnikof award doesn't assure anything. There have been starts like Randy Moss who have won it, but let's remember that Charles Rogers also won it. My point is I haven't seen anything making me believe it was a mistake not to draft Maas. Sorry to hijack the thread.

red
08-23-2006, 02:16 PM
did he have this dropping problem in college? i never remember hearing anything about it.

if he didn't, then maybe its just due to rookie gitters and it should go away in time.

if it is something he had a problem with, then shame on TT for taking him to be our return guy when he has problems even getting the ball

this was the big question mark for me out of this draft. it just didn't make sense to pick another wr right there. the one thing i could buy was that we picked him to be our return guy, but if he has troubles with that then it was a bad pick

but time will tell

Cobra Kai
08-23-2006, 02:30 PM
It seems to me that Wolf picked a guy (Joey Jamison) in the 5th Rd to be a return man also and he got cut when he couldn't "handle" the job. If TT is anything like his mentor, he'll make the right decision and cut him (he did with Bragg last year when he sucked). I would guess he'll stay through the last preseason game though and get the axe in the final cut down. There a better possiblity of him being around to sign on the PS if he is cut then...

rbaloha1
08-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Take away his return responsibilities and let him just focus on being a receiver.

The unfortunate thing is Craig Bragg looks like he lost weight making him look very fast and explosive as da bears return man.

Ouch :sad:

oregonpackfan
08-23-2006, 04:52 PM

The Oregonian had an article describing how the Saints coaches were very pleased with his sure hands and his precise route running. He also learned the playbook quickly and demonstrated a strong work ethic.

In the first preseason game, he caught 3 passes for 28 yards. I don't know what he did in the following preseason game(s).

OPF

Tony Oday
08-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Maurice Stoval!!!! I wanted him BAD!

Badgepack
08-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Hank Baskett should have been a Packer :evil:

OS PA
08-23-2006, 06:00 PM
did he have this dropping problem in college? i never remember hearing anything about it.

if he didn't, then maybe its just due to rookie gitters and it should go away in time.

if it is something he had a problem with, then shame on TT for taking him to be our return guy when he has problems even getting the ball

this was the big question mark for me out of this draft. it just didn't make sense to pick another wr right there. the one thing i could buy was that we picked him to be our return guy, but if he has troubles with that then it was a bad pick

but time will tell

I remember an article earlier in the summer talking about how Rodgers used a different technique to field kicks in the past. Something about catching them over his shoulder, and he was effective at that. But now the coaching staff is asking him to square his shoulders to the ball and simply catch it, and he is having problems catching because it's foreign to him.

Kiwon
08-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Cory Rodgers' problems catching the ball makes me appreciate Antonio Chapman's development all the more. :neutral:

Scott Campbell
08-23-2006, 07:22 PM
"I have no regrets," Rodgers said. "This is my first training camp and I wasn't expecting to come out here and be the most dazzling. People don't get to come in as rookies and get to have quick impact like Greg Jennings. I'm just here waiting for an opportunity."

Did Greg Jennings come in as a rookie and get to have a quick impact like Greg Jennings? This comment makes no sense.

How many opportunities would he like? The Packers wanted to hand him the returner job, and he's bobbled it away.

K-town
08-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Did Greg Jennings come in as a rookie and get to have a quick impact like Greg Jennings? This comment makes no sense.

Apparently his ball handling skills are exceeded only by his grasp of common logic and the English language. :wink:

BooHoo
08-23-2006, 08:03 PM

Apparently his ball handling skills are exceeded only by his grasp of common logic and the English language. :wink:

If he doesn't get his act together soon, he will find himself in the unemployment line.

pbmax
08-23-2006, 08:28 PM

but time will tell
McGinn had a quote from a scout that said he was inconsistent and predicted trouble. But it seemed a lone voice at the time.

More troubling (at that time) was the switching of positions.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2006, 10:25 PM
More troubling (at that time) was the switching of positions.

What switching of position?

Bretsky
08-23-2006, 11:18 PM
May have been discussing the switching of how Rodgers fields the ball

Patler
08-23-2006, 11:22 PM
At this point I wish they would let him just to catch the thing anyway he can. I would really like to see him actually run with the ball after catching it!

Bretsky
08-23-2006, 11:33 PM
At this point I wish they would let him just to catch the thing anyway he can. I would really like to see him actually run with the ball after catching it!

Honestly, taking Rodgers in round 4 really surprised me; I was excited about getting a special teams return guru until I started reading about his 4.59 speed, which is nothing special for the NFL....and the fact that he was not too developed as a WR. Didn't really read comments about how he plays faster and when Ahmad Carroll caught him from well behind it was obvious the guy is probably not going to run away from anybody.

The pick still reminds me of Joey Jamison, Wolf's fifth round special team blunder.

B

woodbuck27
08-24-2006, 12:35 AM
Take away his return responsibilities and let him just focus on being a receiver.

The unfortunate thing is Craig Bragg looks like he lost weight making him look very fast and explosive as da bears return man.

Ouch :sad:

I was really feeling that Bragg was going to be OK for us.He wasn't a bad player in College but.... It's maybe the pressure of "the NFL" and Rookie pressure.

I'll have to look in... see how he's doing with da Bears.

PACKERS ! FAITH FANS !!

woodbuck27
08-24-2006, 12:38 AM

Yea. Maybe that. Give him every chance over the next couple of weeks.

PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH !!

Guiness
08-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Mmmm, Jamison...Jameson...Jenna Jameson

What were we talking about again?

woodbuck27
08-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Mmmm, Jamison...Jameson...Jenna Jameson

What were we talking about again?

Ahhhh! Your age is telling Rastak. :smile:

Bring back "the Black and Blue".

NFCN Respect.... AGAIN !!