PDA

View Full Version : Ross and Boykin Versus Drafting Early

Fritz
04-17-2013, 06:23 AM
Driver's retired, Jennings is a Queen. Some pundits have the Pack taking a receiver in the first two or three rounds.

And yes, I am a fan, but I'll put this out there anyway: does anyone think that Ross and Boykin, plus maybe a mid-round draft pick, have enough talent to take up the slack and maybe even develop into 2nd or rd receivers?

What are their strengths and weaknesses?

3irty1
04-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Driver's retired, Jennings is a Queen. Some pundits have the Pack taking a receiver in the first two or three rounds.

And yes, I am a fan, but I'll put this out there anyway: does anyone think that Ross and Boykin, plus maybe a mid-round draft pick, have enough talent to take up the slack and maybe even develop into 2nd or rd receivers?

What are their strengths and weaknesses?

At this point I'd consider Ross a returner only. I only say that because he wasn't even much of a receiver in college. Boykin on the other hand is already a player IMO. His biggest weakness is his lack of straight line speed. But he's got sticky gigantic mitts and plays bigger than 6'2". Like all TT wide receivers, he springs out of his cuts and doesn't have a problem getting open. He also does an excellent job beating press coverage. I'd say his game is comparable to James Jones and he might be the insurance policy should we lose Jones to free agency. You can't ask for much better in a 5th receiver. A move-the-chains guy like that is exactly what's needed should the WR depth be tested.

Looking at the WR roster without Jennings its obvious that the thing we are missing the most is pure speed. Jordy is the only guy we've currently got that has the ability to get behind a defense for a big play so I look for us to add another guy like that. Aaron Dobson from Marshall, Kenny Stills from Oklahoma, or Josh Boyce from TCU all feel like Ted Thompson type WR's who have homerun speed. I particularly like Dobson, I feel like he'd be something of an insurance policy against both Jordy and Finley since he's got the best qualities of both.

Patler
04-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Not that he is a real burner, but I think Jones can beat coverage deep, too. He did it routinely in 2010, but then seemed to drop the ball as often as he caught it. A handful seemed to be clear TDs if he had caught them. In 2011 & 2012, he didn't seem to run those same routes as often.

However, I would like to see the Packers draft a WR high in the draft. I think a guy like Boykin can be useful, but they need better than him to replace Jones or Nelson if either leaves in the next couple years.

Pugger
04-17-2013, 08:42 AM
But I don't want one taken in the first. TT has a track record of finding gems later on in drafts. I'd prefer we address a different area of need early.

Patler
04-17-2013, 08:51 AM
It really doesn't matter to me at all what round TT uses for any position. It would be nice if everyone he picks in the first 4 rounds have the potential to address weaknesses, but they may not. Anyone after the 5th round is likely to be a bit of a project anyway.

red
04-17-2013, 11:02 AM
the problem i see is that jones will be a free agent after this season i believe, and cobb might be looking at jennings type money in another year or too (would TT pay him)

so even if ross and/or boykins can be a real player, we still need to get another 1 or 2 wr's and start grooming them for the future. keep in mind, it usually takes a year or two or even three for wr's to get up to NFL speed

imo, you're looking at drafting our #2 WR for the 2015 season right now, so i would have no problem taking one in the second or third round

woodbuck27
04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
But I don't want one taken in the first. TT has a track record of finding gems later on in drafts. I'd prefer we address a different area of need early.

Yes your correct.

run pMc
04-17-2013, 11:31 AM
With Jennings gone, they could use someone who can play the X outside and beat the coverage.
Jones or Nelson can play out at the X position, but I don't know if Ross or Boykin could do that. I think you keep Cobb in the slot or move him around.

I thought GJ played faster than he timed, had very good quickness and ran good routes. Drafting someone who could replace those attributes would obviously be nice but is probably asking a lot. I wouldn't be surprised at all if TT drafts a WR within the first 3 rounds. IMO the urgency for a WR doesn't kick in until Jones and Finley hit free agency next year (or, God forbid, a rash of injuries hits the receiving corps) but it makes a lot sense to draft and develop someone now so they are ready to step up.

woodbuck27
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
It really doesn't matter to me at all what round TT uses for any position. It would be nice if everyone he picks in the first 4 rounds have the potential to address weaknesses, but they may not. Anyone after the 5th round is likely to be a bit of a project anyway.

" It really doesn't matter to me at all what round TT uses for any position. It would be nice if everyone he picks in the first 4 rounds have the potential to address weaknesses, but they may not. " Patler

"It really doesn't matter to me at all what round TT uses for any position." Patler

Have you studied this draft Patler?

"It would be nice if everyone he picks in the first 4 rounds have the potential to address weaknesses, but they may not." Patler

Wow do you truly mean that? I cannot imagine that you do Patler.

I'll simply try, to head you in the correct direction in terms of mind frame and Packer fan and this draft.

TT had better pick more than just 'prospects' in this draft. This baloney of " I picked the BPA 'on my board' " and that failing!

Isn't going to cut it Patler. This isn't going to be any draft where 'a dolly wog failure' is acceptable or 'just' some rotten luck. Ted Thompson has to get it really together in this draft.

The Green Bay Packers

woodbuck27
04-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Not that he is a real burner, but I think Jones can beat coverage deep, too. He did it routinely in 2010, but then seemed to drop the ball as often as he caught it. A handful seemed to be clear TDs if he had caught them. In 2011 & 2012, he didn't seem to run those same routes as often.

However, I would like to see the Packers draft a WR high in the draft. I think a guy like Boykin can be useful, but they need better than him to replace Jones or Nelson if either leaves in the next couple years.

DeAndre Hopkins and maybe? depended on need for his skills 'Justin Hunter' might be temptations at #26 for Ted Thompson. I've analyzed it and concluded that neither is his best option at #26.

After that and without trading down to the top of the 2nd Rd. Their both long gone and the options are there but not so much as #1 WR's. If TT goes into this draft with the mindset that it's all about Aaron Rodgers and our 'O'. He won't be doing what's best for the Green Bay Packers overall.

Ted Thompson will show us alot of what he is in this draft. It's going to be very interesting.

Good Luck Ted !

smuggler
04-17-2013, 03:06 PM
If there is a willing partner and the offer is rich enough, Thompson is certainly the kind of guy who would trade back.

If the first round pick is supposed to contribute immediately, a WR will probably not be a wise choice. I am not saying that the pick MUST be a band-aid selection, but that's the sentiment I have felt from many other Packer backers...

However, if you could trade back into the mid-2nd and also pick up a pick in the 3rd somewhere, you have yourself 4 picks in the top 90 player prospects. One of which would probably contribute immediately.

run pMc
04-17-2013, 06:21 PM
If there is a willing partner and the offer is rich enough, Thompson is certainly the kind of guy who would trade back.

If the first round pick is supposed to contribute immediately, a WR will probably not be a wise choice. I am not saying that the pick MUST be a band-aid selection, but that's the sentiment I have felt from many other Packer backers...

However, if you could trade back into the mid-2nd and also pick up a pick in the 3rd somewhere, you have yourself 4 picks in the top 90 player prospects. One of which would probably contribute immediately.

I'd be ok with this.

Also, I agree in principle with Patler's comments:

To me, it's less important if Casey Hayward was a 2nd or 3rd round pick than if he can play. The concept of value is where things get a little skewed, and where IMO drafting for BPA that fits your team's system is important. Nobody wants to see their team pull a BJ Sander when punters like Andy Lee are still available 3 rounds later.
Watching football makes me a fan, not a draft expert. I'll still cheer or boo a pick, and that is based on my perception of the player's talent as well as where they are drafted, but really the latter's not that important. Go back and look at the draft from 2008 -- easily half those guys have washed out of the league.

Fritz
04-18-2013, 04:17 PM
One of the things I remind myself of when TT takes someone that seems a stupid pick to me is that he has a hell of a lot more information available to him than I do.

Now if I were a Lions' fan and Matt Millen were still the GM that wouldn't comfort me, but TT is in his element in this situation. It's his strong suit as a GM, so I try to relax and let him do his voodoo.