PDA

View Full Version : Is this an unusual high-rsik/high-reward draft?

Patler
04-17-2013, 09:35 AM
It just seems to me that this draft has an unusually high number of players who might be risky picks for one reason or another, but are proven performers or athletic/physical freaks with enormous potential. For example, you have:

Good players with long-term and/or short-term medical concerns, such as Lattimor, Jarvis Jones, Lotulelei and even Barratt Jones. I'm sure there are others.

Unusual athletes with very limited football experience, such as Hunt, Ansah, Warner.

Then there is the usual collection of very good players with legal/personality risks, and the hard to project but otherwise impressive players from small schools or schools without top flight programs and competition.

I get the impression there is an unusually high number of player who have the potential to be high impact players, but carry significant risk for one reason or another. The first two rounds could be filled with players who can make their GM look like a genius or an idiot.

Pugger
04-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Besides the lack of decent QBs I don't know if this class is any different than other years. :cnf:

red
04-17-2013, 10:56 AM
i think it looks like a big boom or bust draft because of the massive lack of quality prospects this year

i don't know if there's a single guy in this draft that makes me think "oh man, that guys awesome, i hope to god we somehow get him"

for me this whole draft class makes me go "meh"

maybe this pushes those question mark guys a little higher this year then they would be in years past. or maybe its because teams have had recent success drafting guys with big character risks, so teams are thinking maybe those types of guys aren't undraftable

run pMc
04-17-2013, 11:09 AM
I don't think there's an unusual amount of boom or bust players. I think it's an increase in the media coverage, plus a late-April draft seems late to me for some reason. Every year there are players taken in the early rounds who are risks or projects. As for it being a 'meh' draft, I don't know if I go that far, but I think it's a draft without a Luck/RGIII-level superstar (likely to be considered a once-a-decade draft class). I see it as a draft where good, solid depth can be found and added to shore up roster holes.

Guiness
04-17-2013, 12:50 PM
And there's Okoye with even more limited football experience - read: none!
Intriguing, but it takes a special kind of body type and mental toughness to be able to withstand the punishment the NFL throws at you. This guy played some rugby, but that was in U18, how can you know how a guy will react the first time Iupati gives him a forearm shiver in the chin strap?

smuggler
04-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Somebody is going to take someone in rounds 2 that's going to be better from anyone taken in round 1. That's a higher liklihood in this draft than in many others.

Except not really because of Chance Warmack.

woodbuck27
04-17-2013, 01:24 PM
i think it looks like a big boom or bust draft because of the massive lack of quality prospects this year

i don't know if there's a single guy in this draft that makes me think "oh man, that guys awesome, i hope to god we somehow get him"

for me this whole draft class makes me go "meh"

maybe this pushes those question mark guys a little higher this year then they would be in years past. or maybe its because teams have had recent success drafting guys with big character risks, so teams are thinking maybe those types of guys aren't undraftable

I've been seriously studying the prospects for eight weeks and moreso over the past two. I'm for obvious reasons for me moreso focused this year. I generally agree with Patler. There're more prospects that can let me use the term:

'Suck you in'. There's many prospects that are well 'something else', out of the ordinary'.

There's alot of players that look decent in one pick area. For one reason or another the BPA may not exactly fit. ie You already have that position player. I know that TT and MM seem to collect TE's. What's that all about?

I'm looking at every pick as where you target a certain position and player. Damn if everyone was true to BPA phosophy? Why have a draft?

Determine the entire pool of draft eligible players. Hire some creditable think tank to rank the top 300. Let the rest manage best they can, as UFA's. We get the #26 ...#55 ...#88 etc. ranked player.

BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE is .... JUST THAT.

I know .... everyone has his unique board. Everyone isn't going to trust a DraftTek. :idea:

It's not like 'Fantasy football'. A teams draft team has to pay tremendous respect to due diligence. That job is fricken' enormous. Having determined that fact. There's little to excuse if a GM screws up. Do your homework .... ace the test ... your draft will, over time, more than pass.

It's not any different than any other year as it's simply another year. Again.... It's in the work and quality of your Scout/Draft team.

red ...I see plenty of players that would certainly help out the Green Bay Packers. Huge upgrades.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
04-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Somebody is going to take someone in rounds 2 that's going to be better from anyone taken in round 1. That's a higher liklihood in this draft than in many others.

Except not really because of Chance Warmack.

There isn't as much value in the top of R1, so a poor year to have a top ten pick compared to most years. Part of that is in a bad QB crop. There are some good prospects for OL. At mid round we'll see some solid WR's start to come off the board that should make an impact, or look like less risk. There's 4 DB's I like (but who knows); that won't move until the mid first round.

It's as usual and 'at best', a 50/50 proposition before Round 5. Then it get's worse.

This draft might be very good for picks #15 thru #130 depended on your homework.

PACKERS !

red
04-17-2013, 01:54 PM
red ...I see plenty of players that would certainly help out the Green Bay Packers. Huge upgrades.

GO PACK GO !

i've been doing a little research too, but i don't see guys that can be "huge upgrades". if you we to combine this years players from guys taken the last 2 years and put them all in a big pot and have one big super draft, i think there wouldn't be a lot of this years guys taken in the first round

no QB's are worth a first round pick
no running backs worth a first round
theres one maybe two Wr's worth a first rounder, and i'm not excited about those guys
maybe 1 TE worth it, but he doesn't excite me at all
theres 2 maybe 3 LT's (joeckel, fisher, johnson)that i would think would be an upgrade for us, the others, i'm not so sure would be able to beat out Newhouse
2 decent guards (warmack, cooper), and i'm not sure if either is better then the two we have
1 center (jones), who would be an upgrade IMO, but has an injury red flag

1 bigtime D-lineman in the draft (Star Lotulelei), but also has a major health red flag. the rest i have serious doubts about and none of them look better then a mike neal or worthy
i see no OLB's that i like more then i liked nick perry last year. not even dion jordan
the ILB's are not impressive at all IMO, and the top two have major red flags (teo, ogeltree)
i don't think any safeties are worth wasting a first rounder on, where the hell is the speed?
1 maybe 2 ok cb's, but not better then what we already have

i read the mocks that say guys are "big, quick of the snap, strong as shit, very fast, etc etc." then i go watch video of those guys, and i see none of it

for me, this is a depth draft

smuggler
04-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Warmack would certainly be an upgrade over Lang. Perhaps we could shuttle Lang to center in that scenario. If he for some random reason fell to 26, we would certainly take him.

Cheesehead Craig
04-17-2013, 03:20 PM
i read the mocks that say guys are "big, quick of the snap, strong as shit, very fast, etc etc." then i go watch video of those guys, and i see none of it

for me, this is a depth draft

Could you imagine what would happen if Kiper and McShay said this was a "meh" draft? ESPN might just shut down from the outrage and both TV and radio sports talk shows would go ballistic. That would be awesome.

sharpe1027
04-17-2013, 03:42 PM
There are plenty of players that are risky, but I do not see why they offer a higher of reward than other years. There are always risky players with high potential, but usually there are better options that push the risky players lower in the draft. Not so much this year.

woodbuck27
04-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Because I forced myself to attempt this Draft mock this season and that task is difficult. I can't post 'no way' to you on the 'more truth than not' of your analysis red.

I've focused on our picks: #26;#55; #88; etc. It gets confusing when the view of a board looks different from one major NFL site to another. Yet because of that I had to really study it all. Look for some common sense >>> direction.

Forgetting 'the best board' and focusing on a board. I see players that look the part based on the focus in the philosophy I hope to see for the Packers. I want the team ro play meaner on 'D'. I see the Green Bay Packers as too soft.

A really nice place to visit >>> their locker room; but where's that Old Packer sense of urgency gone to red?

Is that answer in the next paragraph?

I havn't looked to see if the news on Clay Matthews includes his $$$$new contract terms$$$$ and frankly all 'that', new news, scares the hell out of me. After Clay Matthews and Aaron Rodgers. What's left over for the 'lunch pail crew'?

When I look at the players that appear to be valid targets in certain rounds. I look for football players. The fricken stars can exit stage right. We can't afford their desires. Looking at the TRUTH and today it's times a changin' and doing so too fast.

I do see some football players red. If I could have some of these players and there's lots more. I've strengthened the Packers:

red if you can spare the time and enjoy talent watch these fellas ** highlighted below amonst many I've studied. I've watched so much video I'm going fricken blind. :shock:

RB's not deep .... Johnathan Franklin, UCLA; In the right place 'early' maybe? Montee Ball, Wisconsin... every pick is like GOLD. My plan would be to draft a RB late.

WR's (Very talented and deep) ** DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson and ** Justin Hunter, Tennessee,Keenan Allen, California; Robert Woods USC; Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech;Ryan Swope, Texas A&M; Chris Harper, Kansas State;

OT Terron Armstead, Arkansas - Pine Bluff and his measurables (a check). If he's available at #55 then I hope that TT seriously considers him.

ROT DJ Fluker, Alabama

** DE/OLB DaMontre Moore Texas A&M; ** DE Margus Hunt who is at all really interested in the NFL and ignoring this awesome athlete. The GM that has the balls to take this fella is IMO smart..very smart as he could certainly be something very special. Prospects like margus hunt seldom come along. That will be the biggest Buzzzz in the draft when he's picked and good luck to the team that gets him. I just hope it's not an NFCN team other than the packers and it's NOT the San Francisco 49ers. I can't believe the haul that team could come up with if they nail this draft.... Also... SMU; 3-4 DE Sylvester Williams, North Carolina and Cornellius Carradine, Florida State

DT's Jesse Williams, Alabama,

ILB Kevin Minter, LSU; ** SILB Jon Bostic, Florida

CB's are solid early in this draft. Desmond Trufant, Washington; Jamar Taylor, Boise State; Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State;Jordan Poyer, Oregon State

Solid FS's.... Eric Reid, LSU; Phillip Thomas, Fresno State; Darius Slay, Mississippi State;D.J. Swearinger, South Carolina; Bacari Rambo, Georgia; TJ McDonald, USC and .......... more

SS's Jonathan Cyprien, Florida Int'l; Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse; JJ Wilcox Georgia Southern and ** Shawn Williams, Georgia etc.

I've looked at some talent available in this draft red.

GO PACK GO !

red
04-17-2013, 04:52 PM
do like hopkins, don't like hunter

i thought the discussion was about top end players

hunt (who i think i introduced to this site months ago), bostic, and williams are all second round or later picks. hunt maybe a second, bostic and williams go even later. hunt is so raw that it will take seasonS for him to become a real NFL contributor. to me williams is not the type of safety we need. i want speed at that other safety position. there are no speed safeties this year with any talent

as for moore, like i said before, there is no OLB that i like better then perry. not jarvis jones, not jordan, not moroe or mingo

Smeefers
04-17-2013, 04:53 PM
From everything I've read and heard, this draft is line deep. There's a ton of good OL's and DL's out there. I know it's no splash in the pan QB, but if they're deep there and we can improve there, then I'll be happy. You win the games on the line of scrimmage yada yada yada.

Freak Out
04-17-2013, 05:28 PM
If there is a ton of good OL's then we better grab a couple.

woodbuck27
04-17-2013, 05:52 PM

hunt (who i think i introduced to this site months ago), bostic, and williams are all second round or later picks. hunt maybe a second, bostic and williams go even later. hunt is so raw that it will take seasonS for him to become a real NFL contributor. to me williams is not the type of safety we need. i want speed at that other safety position. there are no speed safeties this year with any talent

as for moore, like i said before, there is no OLB that i like better then perry. not jarvis jones, not jordan, not moroe or mingo

You like Nick price better. OK TT might consider drafting a hybride DE/OLB... Damontre Moore and that will give Nick Price a shot at playing DE. Imagine the packages with him and Damontre Moore and Clay Matthews.

red I'm referring to the entire draft. I'm referring to possible additions to our off season roster that will certainly / hopefully help improve the final roster.

Check ... on ILB SS Jon Bostic and SS Shawn Williams and in round three.

TT will have a decent shot at one of these fellas at Pick #88.

Shawn Williams, Georgia 5' - 11" 213 lbs... is fast and plays quick. 4.42/40 (2nd in top 10) and 25 Rep's ( 2nd in Top 10) and hits like a truck. I'd love him in our secondary.

Warning !! Please turn you volume down. This fricken music on the S. Williams sucks. On the Jon Bostic video maybe slightly better. These men can ball !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTI_QZm7RHo

ILB (ss) Johnathan Bostic 6 - 1" 245 lbs ... is a player: 4.59/40 (1st in Top ten) and 22 Rep's (3rd) says speed and power at ILBer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Jiwv9sSpY

I'm out of here MFerrr Goin' wild......slam bam niggasss goin' wild. Honey honey...Sweet ... Honey child...Same ole attitude .... ain't diggin' tha new shit... I'm outta hearrr goin' wild. Honey child.... goin' wild. I'm splitin' from this MFing crowd. F' ing up the gang .... Goin' wild !

Boy Ohh Boy!!! That's not going to impress Gershwin.

woodbuck27
04-17-2013, 05:54 PM
If there is a ton of good OL's then we better grab a couple.

LB....We need one on the outside and another on the inside. Depth concerns. Attack and defense.

Bretsky
04-17-2013, 08:57 PM

Eric Reid runs between a 4.4 and 4.5 and he's 6 1" and long with a 40....yes...40 inch vertical. Future Pro Bowl and exactly what we need in GB

Bretsky
04-17-2013, 08:59 PM

Lots of homerjuice for Perry.....I hope you are right. He's still not that good of a fit for a 3-4.....as everybody stated before the draft last year but most have conveniently forgot that vantage point

red
04-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Lots of homerjuice for Perry.....I hope you are right. He's still not that good of a fit for a 3-4.....as everybody stated before the draft last year but most have conveniently forgot that vantage point

he played the exact same hybrid position and in fact was clays replacement at USC

and he did a damn fine job of playing it

Patler
04-18-2013, 05:10 AM
I thought the issue with Perry was more that he had said several times that he didn't think he wanted to play OLB in a 3-4. Some also questioned his effort, He might not be what the experts see as a perfect fit for it, but many good ones aren't for one reason or another. Perry has enough athletic ability to do OK at it. Lots and lots of NFL players are not perfect fits for their positions.

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 07:55 AM
I thought the issue with Perry was more that he had said several times that he didn't think he wanted to play OLB in a 3-4. Some also questioned his effort, He might not be what the experts see as a perfect fit for it, but many good ones aren't for one reason or another. Perry has enough athletic ability to do OK at it. Lots and lots of NFL players are not perfect fits for their positions.

Yes... I'm thinking that this draft can allow options that accomodate Nick Perry's wishes to play rush DE.

It really comes down to communication between TT and DC Dom Capers and some common ground on 'Defensive Philosophy'. Get the 'blue print' then find the materials to fit more perfectly towords finalizing the Project.

That focus or goal of 'the Project' is 'simply and only' one ideal.

The Super Bowl and winning the Lombardi Trophy ASAP ... again.

GO PACK GO !

Cheesehead Craig
04-18-2013, 10:15 AM
I've never quite understood why NFL players say things like this. Play the position you were hired to do. Now I understand in a case like Kampman where he was asked to totally change his position, but in Perry's case he played a hybrid position in college so why start whining about it when he is asked to play it in the NFL straight out of college? Just looks poorly on the player. I'm not arguing about guys who want to be paid and schemed like a #1 WR or RB, just guys who whine about doing their basic job.

red
04-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Yes... I'm thinking that this draft can allow options that accomodate Nick Perry's wishes to play rush DE.

GO PACK GO !

what? in our system?

no

our system doesn't use rush DE's. and he's about 40 pounds to lite to play DE in our system

the only way we can allow him to be a rush DE is to trade him to a 4-3 team

pbmax
04-18-2013, 10:23 AM
I've never quite understood why NFL players say things like this. Play the position you were hired to do. Now I understand in a case like Kampman where he was asked to totally change his position, but in Perry's case he played a hybrid position in college so why start whining about it when he is asked to play it in the NFL straight out of college? Just looks poorly on the player. I'm not arguing about guys who want to be paid and schemed like a #1 WR or RB, just guys who whine about doing their basic job.

I don't think he stood up much at USC. Matthews played an Elephant end where he did do some standing up. I don't know if Matthews and Perry actually played a different spot in the USC defense OR if the difference was just the frequency of hand on the ground. But the most common complaint is natural feel and money. DEs make more than OLBs as a rule. Unless they can sack the QB like Matthews, Ware or Suggs.

From memory of USC clips on You Tube, I want to say Matthews was on the right and Perry was on the left side.

sharpe1027
04-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Pass rushing DEs have historically made a lot of money. Therefore, when a player is sized between the ideals for OLB and DE, I think the natural tendency was for the player to sell themselves as a DE.

With Clay's new contract setting a new bar for OLBers, I wonder if this will change the thought process of players in the future.

Fritz
04-18-2013, 04:11 PM
This is what I'm wondering, Sharpe. Maybe Perry saw more $$$ as a DE, but now it would seem that you can make a decent living as an OLB if you work hard and have success.

The guy needs to work especially on his cover skills so that it's not obvious every time he's in that he has to rush the passer because he's too big a liability in coverage.

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 04:40 PM
what? in our system?

no

our system doesn't use rush DE's. and he's about 40 pounds to lite to play DE in our system

the only way we can allow him to be a rush DE is to trade him to a 4-3 team

Nick Perry is 6' - 3" and 265 lbs. Yes ... light for a DE in our 3-4.

Now we're getting somewhere. Was he a sound option as our Rd. 1 pick last year if he thought he was an NFL ready DE? Then there was the negative buzz RE: his inability to defend the pass. Was he a solid option to be drafted for the Packers?

All the buzz was RE: the fact he would be best suited to be better suited as an NFL fit at OLB in a 3-4 system. That he felt otherwise. His value at the College level was that he was a sack artist as a straight ahead rush DE. His inability to defend a pass was noted before that draft.

He was demonstrating progress when he went down Vs Houston last season. As I recall it, that game cost us in terms of adversity RE: other players as well. No bad!

So if he weighs 265 lbs can anything change to make him better suited as a DE?

DE Datone Jones, UCLA is going to be a first Rd. pick come Thursday evening next week.

DE Datone Jones is 6' - 4 " and weighs only 10 lbs more (275 lbs) than Nick Perry?

What if Nick Perry adds 10 -15 lbs of beef and muscle? Is closely monitored to get larger? Would that hurt in any sense red? Would that step lead to him feeling more comfortable and concentrating on a very positive contribution?

PACKERS !

red
04-18-2013, 04:58 PM
nick already gained about 10-20 pounds of beef heading up to the draft trying to show he had the size to be a 4-3 DE. at the combine he weighed in at 271, during that season he weighed between 250-260

as for people saying he said he wanted to be a DE. he's a video from the question and answer session at the combine. he's asked if he would rather be a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. he answers be saying that he would rather be a 4-3 DE with his hand in the dirt, but as long as he's rushing the QB it doesn't matter to him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tys4th-DPXA

in this video from his pro day he talks about he would be find playing either position. he also talks about how he only had a little bit of experience at dropping into coverage, but he did have some

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEfri5AZ1U0

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 11:37 PM
nick already gained about 10-20 pounds of beef heading up to the draft trying to show he had the size to be a 4-3 DE. at the combine he weighed in at 271, during that season he weighed between 250-260

as for people saying he said he wanted to be a DE. he's a video from the question and answer session at the combine. he's asked if he would rather be a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. he answers be saying that he would rather be a 4-3 DE with his hand in the dirt, but as long as he's rushing the QB it doesn't matter to him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tys4th-DPXA

in this video from his pro day he talks about he would be find playing either position. he also talks about how he only had a little bit of experience at dropping into coverage, but he did have some

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEfri5AZ1U0

Nice work.

Yes.... I believe Nick Perry weighed about 270 lbs before the draft.

Let me see...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Perry_(American_football)

Pre-Draft Measurables: 271 lbs

red ...You've got me in a spin over an option of Damontre Moore and #26. If I pick him then LOL Dom and TT have to work it all out on the Nick Perry ?.

Damontre 'Damonster' Moore is a solid option 'still' for my Mock. I simply have to convince myself that DT Sylvester Williams is off the board @ # 26.

Straight up??

Who is your best option @ #26 red?

Bretsky
04-19-2013, 12:07 AM

There were several Net articles out there indicating that Perry was thought to be better suited as a DE in the 4-3. they were articles all of the draft whack jobs read and perhaps take too literally. Several of us commented that we'd doubt TT drafts him because he's thought of as an ideal fit in the 4-3 and much to learn and skills to develop in the 3-4. Those words disappeared once we drafted him.

Patler
04-19-2013, 04:48 AM
And yet others saw aspects of his game that might make OLB a better option for him:

Overview

Many teams will consider drafting Perry as an outside linebacker in a 3-4. As a sophomore and junior at USC he developed into an elite pass-rushing prospect, and has the size and athletic ability to be successful working against NFL tackles. He has late first-round value.
Analysis
Strengths
Perry has a very strong base and balance that helps him keep momentum toward the backfield regardless of his initial move. Perry plays with good leverage and surprising athleticism for his size. He has a good burst off the ball and a natural feel for disrupting plays. He chases laterally down the line well and is a sound tackler when he reaches the ball. He has fluid hips and feet in the open field. He will be reliable even as a rookie to set the edge and defend the run with strength.
Weaknesses
Perry can get tied up on double teams and has trouble in a tight area. This would bode well for a move to outside backer, where he can rush with more space. It remains to be seen if Perry can cover in the flat. He's a thick player but still a bit of a positional tweener, and doesn't quite have the strength of most defenders his size.

denverYooper
04-19-2013, 07:51 AM
And yet others saw aspects of his game that might make OLB a better option for him:

Many of those points would seem to make him a perfect fit opposite Clay, and we saw some of his disruptive ability (he got flagged a couple of times because his hits looked violent -- a la Luck -- but on review turned out to be textbook).

I honestly think that if he has a healthy year opposite CMIII, Packers fans will be pretty happy with that pick by the end of the season.

Smeefers
04-19-2013, 08:00 AM
Many of those points would seem to make him a perfect fit opposite Clay, and we saw some of his disruptive ability (he got flagged a couple of times because his hits looked violent -- a la Luck -- but on review turned out to be textbook).

I honestly think that if he has a healthy year opposite CMIII, Packers fans will be pretty happy with that pick by the end of the season.

Agreed. it's incredibly difficult for a player to come out of college and immediately make a meaningful impact on the field. The speed of the game isn't something that just affects QB's. You also have to understand that there's no easy opponents for this guy. Every team they go up is filled with college all stars. I think the man will grow into his role. Having seen him play, I believe he has all the talent to become a very good OLB.

Patler
04-19-2013, 08:33 AM
I would really have liked to see more of him last year. He was just beginning to be noticed when he got hurt. By year end, he might have made an impact, because he did have a play now and then that made you notice him. Just needs to do it more regularly.

run pMc
04-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Leave Perry at OLB...think of him as being like PIT's Lamarr Woodley, who goes 6-2 265# as an OLB.

Speaking of PIT, if Jarvis Jones is there, I wouldn't be surprised if they take him. If you think about it, their needs mirror a lot of GB's, only moreso: they lost Mendenhall, Harrison, Wallace; Hampton is on his last legs and Polamalu isn't far behind, and they need OL help.

Sorry about the digression...
You can't put Perry at DE in a 3-4 base, and I think GB has better options in nickel-rush packages. IIRC, Perry later clarified that he preferred 4-3 DE because it was what he played most at USC and was most comfortable doing, but would play where ever a team drafted/needed him. I'm hoping for good things from Perry this year, having a full offseason to be healthy and work at OLB.

Carolina_Packer
04-19-2013, 08:51 PM
...It's not like 'Fantasy football'. A teams draft team has to pay tremendous respect to due diligence. That job is fricken' enormous. Having determined that fact. There's little to excuse if a GM screws up. Do your homework .... ace the test ... your draft will, over time, more than pass.

It's not any different than any other year as it's simply another year. Again.... It's in the work and quality of your Scout/Draft team.

Well, because the Packers don't really do much in free agency, it necessitates them being on their game when drafting, probably even more so than other teams. Obviously, nobody is going to get them all right; nobody ever does. There must be a bit more pressure to draft well because it's the team's primary means of infusing talent. There's generally less instant gratification as you might see on a team that picks up more high-profile/expensive free agents. They way the Packers do it, there's more cost certainty. For the Packer players, you're going to be developed, get a good shot at contributing earlier than players on some other teams, and see if you belong before getting a big money deal. That's what keeps them from having a lot of "dead money", and keeps them from making a lot of costly cap mistakes. They'd rather cook than do take out.