PDA

View Full Version : DEAR TED....PLZ TRADE DOWN .....Nice Article

Bretsky
04-17-2013, 09:36 PM
CLEARLY THIS DUDE HAS BEEN READING US AT PACKERRATS
An interesting read...even though it could have been much better/more detailed

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/a-good-draft-for-thompson-to-trade-down-569g54f-203490801.html

wist43
04-18-2013, 02:13 AM
Yeah, I wanna trade down...

I don't argee with some of what Dunne said in the article though. He says we have no one glaring need, then goes on to talk about offensive players. We have a huge, glaring need at DL and ILB. I'd like to get rid of Hawk and go in search of a playmaker in the middle.

For my money, I want to come away from the first three rounds with at least 2 of these guys - Brandon Williams, Sylvester Williams, Jonathan Hankins, Menelik Watson, Brian Schwenke, Brian Winters, Hugh Thorton, Margus Hunt, Kevin Minter, Kiko Alonso, Sio Moore, Eric Reid, DJ Swearinger... it's a long list. Lot of depth thru the 4th round.

I don't like some of the guys Dunne pointed out in the article. He likes Justin Pugh and Terron Armstead, I don't like either one of those guys. Too soft. Every guy on my list is a tough SOB - we need to get tougher... there's no getting around it, we routinely get rag dolled by power teams.

I like Le'Veon Bell, Christine Michael, and some of the WR's; and I'd be okay with a RB in the mix as long as we came away with some of the guys on my list.

This is a deep draft... I'd love to see us trade down.

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 06:34 AM
I don't see a trade back to the Cardinals or Bills working.

The Arizona Cardinals will get second pick of QB litter at pick #38; the Buffalo Bills the 3rd pick of litter at pick #41.

The next best bets for a show of QB need are the Jacksonville Jaguars, St. Louis RAMS and the NY Jets. In my analysis the NY Jets have a greater need at both FS and SS and after that a DT is on the NY Jets shopping list. DE (and maybe coversion to OLB) Margus Hunt is a NY Jet 'ish' sort of pick.

A look at DE Margus hunt and any Green Bay Packer Draft scenario as it is at present Vs trading down.

The NY Jets did workout DE Margus Hunt and surprizingly to him, at OLB. Margus Hunt is a flexible choice at both sides of the DL and maybe at OLB? Well maybe at TE? He's such a specimen; so strong and athletic the team that picks him will determine excellent use of him.

With that man's wingspan and pure athleticism he can be used all over on both sides of the ball. He's clearly renowned for blocking kicks and therefore valuable for ST's and doing that in the NFL.

Picture Margus Hunt in a QB's face on 3rd and long; any passing down. How brave does a GM have to be to snap this man with incredible upside. Any prospect that is compared to a JJ Watt has to get your serious attention.

***I can see the NE Patriots, San Francisco 49ers or even the defensive minded Baltimore Ravens all over Margus Hunt. At #26 the NY Jets jump all of them. ***

The San Francisco 49ers are poised at pick #31 to go next best Safety after FS Kenny Vaccaro comes off the board. The 49ers will get either FS Kenny Reid or SS Matt Elam and the Baltimore Ravens get the one that's left over at pick #32. SS Johnathan Cyprien might be snapped up before the NY Jets get back to their board and pick #39.

Do we want to trade down (our #26) >>> the NY Jets, 2nd round #39?

Pretend that your Ted Thompson in this exercise. If I do that too much I hate myself. ;-)

*** In reality how much does Ted Thompson value Margus Hunt? ***

If very much .... you need not read on ! Why? Because you'll have to hope he's available at that #26 Pick and really celebrate picking Margus Hunt there. Will picking Margus hunt satisfy the Green Bay Packers NO. 1 need in this draft? See below or 3-4 DE, our NO.1 need?

Would you take that risk? Vs one more pick in a good pick range in this draft? Go to option 'B' instead?

Option B.

TT trades down ie maybe? with the NY Jets:

In that scenario... We get the NY Jets 3rd Rd. pick #72.

To square up the Jets get our 5th rd. Compensatory Pick #167 and 6th Rd. pick # 193.

If this scenario, the Packers end up with: Picks # 39;55;72;88;122;159 and 232.

Essentially no Rd. 1 pick for 2 pics in each of Rd's 2 and 3 ...or 5 picks not 4 in the better buffet of this draft.

Better quality over quantity. Better focus in Rd's 2 and 3 with 2 picks in each.

Looking at this based in our Four TOP Primary Needs:

#1) 3-4 DE or DE/OLB

#2) Safety (SS)

#3) LOT or OL Versatile

#4) 3-4 OLB (See #1 above)

@ #39 :

for value ... OG Larry Warford, Kentucky or 3-4 DT Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State or FS's Phillip Thomas, Fresno State and Darius Slay, Mississippi State and the BPA WR (maybe Robert Woods USC) or RB (maybe? RB Giovani Bernard, North Carolina)

It depends upon how TT places his value on any position.

@ #55 some of these fellas should be around 'for value':

maybe? 3-4 DT Jonathan Jenkins, Georgia; TE Zach Ertz, Stanford; WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Techand maybe? LOT >>> RT/G Menelik Watson, Florida State.

@ #72:

maybe? 3-4 OLB Jamie Collins, S. Miss.; maybe? FS D.J. Swearinger, S. Carolina;
WR Terrance Williams, Baylor; OG Brian Winters, Kent State; 3-4 DT Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern or LOT Reid Fragel, Ohio State; SS Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse or WR Chris Harper, Kansas State or Centers Travis Frederick, Wisconsin and Barrett Jones, Alabama should be here.

I doubt that many of these fellas 'above' will be available at Pick #88.

@ #88: Some tough men are here:

Maybe? SS ILB Jonathan 'Jon' Bostic, Florida; maybe? FS Bacarri Rambo,Georgia; maybe? 3-4 OLB Trevardo Williams, Connecticut; WR Stedman Bailey, West Virginia; Center Brian Schwenke, California; 3-4 DE William Gholston, Michigan State; SS Shawn Williams, Georgia or FS TJ McDonald USC.

@ #122:

SS J.J. Wilcox, Georgia Southern; SS ILB Kiko Alonso, Oregon; TE Gavin Escobar, San Diego State; ILB Sean Porter, Texas A&M; 3-4 DE Quinton Dial, Alabama......

GO PACK GO !

Smeefers
04-18-2013, 07:58 AM
I pretty much agree with the article. There's only a few guys who start with us who, if went to another team, might not start. CJ Wilson, Dujan Harris, Newhouse, EDS, MD Jennings and Perry. 6 out of 22 isn't that bad. All of those guys would be considered good back ups, just not good starters. If we can pull even one starter out of the draft, I think we're sitting pretty. With our injury problems, I would like to have more depth in or OL and DL and at the outside linebacker position. The more I think about it, the less I see a need for a good RB. A better line would make our existing RB's better and I doubt TT is willing to spend a high draft pick on one if there's a chance to improve our line instead.

When I think of glaring need, I think of Jarrett bush starting as a cornerback. I don't see any of our starters as that bad. Yes, we can make improvements at positions and we lack depth at positions and that is what I think this draft should aim to address.

wist43
04-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Wood, I don't think TT would draft Hunt... I'm not expecting that at all. Hunt is very raw, and I can't see TT investing a high pick in such a project. Somebody will though.

I could see TT taking Menelik Watson early though. Watson is as much of a project on the offensive line as Hunt is on the defensive line. Physical ability is there, but he'll need a couple of years.

1. Sylvester Williams (has grown on me - can't play over the nose, but he's a good player)
2. Brian Winters (good size, very tough - might be more suited to the right side though)
3. Sio Moore (move him inside - guy is just a good football player)
4. Hugh Thornton (strong hands, very tough, long arms, good feet and balance - really like this guy)

I'd be very happy with those 4 picks.

run pMc
04-18-2013, 01:02 PM
If we can pull even one starter out of the draft, I think we're sitting pretty.

I assume you mean starter in 'rookie year', and not 'eventual starter'. Barring injury, the only places I can see a rookie starting on this team are at C, DE, or S.

IMO to make this a good, solid draft there should be 3-4 guys either starting or in key subpackage roles by their 3rd season (i.e., 2015-16 season)...so TT will need to find contributors at other spots besides the 3 mentioned above (DT, WR, TE come to mind immediately).

Smeefers
04-18-2013, 01:25 PM
I assume you mean starter in 'rookie year', and not 'eventual starter'. Barring injury, the only places I can see a rookie starting on this team are at C, DE, or S.

IMO to make this a good, solid draft there should be 3-4 guys either starting or in key subpackage roles by their 3rd season (i.e., 2015-16 season)...so TT will need to find contributors at other spots besides the 3 mentioned above (DT, WR, TE come to mind immediately).

Yep, a rookie year starter is what I mean. I don't even know if that'll happen. We have a very established team. I think we're looking for guys we can groom into high caliber talent. Of course, there is the caveat that if a no brainer falls into our lap, we take him and I don't care what position he plays.

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Wood, I don't think TT would draft Hunt... I'm not expecting that at all. Hunt is very raw, and I can't see TT investing a high pick in such a project. Somebody will though.

I could see TT taking Menelik Watson early though. Watson is as much of a project on the offensive line as Hunt is on the defensive line. Physical ability is there, but he'll need a couple of years.

1. Sylvester Williams (has grown on me - can't play over the nose, but he's a good player)
2. Brian Winters (good size, very tough - might be more suited to the right side though)
4. Hugh Thornton (strong hands, very tough, long arms, good feet and balance - really like this guy)

DE Marcus Hunt isn't a Ted Thompson style pick. TT surprized us last year in that draft. Maybe TT is growing!? :wink: I'll be shocked/surprized if TT selects DE Margus hunt with Pick #26.

1. ** DT Sylvester Williams is looking now like a bottom of 1st Rd. pick. He's an option for TT at #26 and a possible temptation to trade up for.

2. OG Brian Winters, Kent State. Projected to go at bottom of top third in Round 3.

3. ** OLB Sio Moore is a very possible option as a solid value at Pick #55.

4. OG Hugh Thornton, Illinois is projected to go mid 6th Round....say around Pick #185.

** If TT stands pat, he likely can have both of these **.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 01:57 PM

Yes.

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 03:54 PM

This fellow agrees with your 1. ** Sylvester Williams, N. Carolina:

"** has seen his stock climb of late. He is a good combination of size and speed and can stuff the run and get to the quarterback. He has also been described as a “violent” tackler. That’s enough for me to hear after watching a few seasons of poor tackling by Green Bay defenders." LINK

You don't ...but he likes wide bodied DT Jonathan Jenkins:

" Jenkins, at 6-3 and 359 pounds, is as they say, “a load,” at the line of scrimmage. He seems to be strong against the run and eats up blockers. With Ryan Pickett getting up in age, Jenkins could pick up where he leaves off." LINK

Comment woodbuck27:

Jon Jenkins won't be there when TT picks at #55 in Rd. 2. He's a huge stretch at #26. In my view Jon Jenkins is out of the picture.

http://lombardiave.com/2013/04/18/2013-green-bay-packers-draft-speculation/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Hot%2BTopics

PACKERS !

Fritz
04-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Listening to ESPN radio is bad for one's mind and worse for one's soul, but I did it anyway this afternoon and walked away feeling that maybe there are teams that will want to trade up into the end of the first round, if a guy like Eddie Lacey is still sitting there, or if there's a QB sitting there that someone needs (notice I did not say "wants").

I always remind people you've got to have a partner if you're going to trade; you can't tell Ted to trade down and then blame him if he doesn't unless you know for a fact he had no reasonable offers. But I am hopeful someone will want to dance and TT can trade down and get an extra fourth, or maybe even an extra third.

Looks like lots of second and third round talent is available this year.

pbmax
04-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Listening to ESPN radio is bad for one's mind and worse for one's soul, but I did it anyway this afternoon and walked away feeling that maybe there are teams that will want to trade up into the end of the first round, if a guy like Eddie Lacey is still sitting there, or if there's a QB sitting there that someone needs (notice I did not say "wants").

I always remind people you've got to have a partner if you're going to trade; you can't tell Ted to trade down and then blame him if he doesn't unless you know for a fact he had no reasonable offers. But I am hopeful someone will want to dance and TT can trade down and get an extra fourth, or maybe even an extra third.

Just don't listen to Cowherd. Worse for your ears than staring into sun is for your eyes.

Joemailman
04-18-2013, 05:23 PM

Right. The question is, who is the player that will be available that a team will want to trade up to get? Maybe a guy like D.J. Fluker because there appears to be a dropoff at OT after him. With reports that this draft is strong through 3 rounds, I suspect teams will be very reluctant to give up a 3rd.

Bretsky
04-18-2013, 07:25 PM
IMO.....a LOT of teams are going to want to trade down this year; it would not surprise me if teams take less than usual to trade down.
Charlie Casserly had some nice clips on trading down and noted that GM's that were familiar with each other often strike quick deals the best. He brought up Mckenzie, Scheider, and TT as likely partners. He thinks here will be a lot of last minute....fast trades.....noted TT and Hoody Genius as well doing past deals.

pittstang5
04-18-2013, 07:57 PM
I've heard that the Jets, Bills and Eagles like QB E.J. Henderson who's estimated to go in the 2nd round. If he's still there in the late first and if any of those teams get antsy and want back in the late first to grab him, TT's phone may be on fire.

Bretsky
04-18-2013, 08:35 PM
I've heard that the Jets, Bills and Eagles like QB E.J. Henderson who's estimated to go in the 2nd round. If he's still there in the late first and if any of those teams get antsy and want back in the late first to grab him, TT's phone may be on fire.

EJ Henderson....MLB for the Vikings ?

I'm assuming you mean EJ Manuel....QB for Florida State. I think the Bills are going to grab their QB in round one after they trade down

pittstang5
04-18-2013, 08:44 PM
EJ Henderson....MLB for the Vikings ?

I'm assuming you mean EJ Manuel....QB for Florida State. I think the Bills are going to grab their QB in round one after they trade down

Son of a....

Yeah, EJ Manuel.

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 10:10 PM
IMO.....a LOT of teams are going to want to trade down this year; it would not surprise me if teams take less than usual to trade down.
Charlie Casserly had some nice clips on trading down and noted that GM's that were familiar with each other often strike quick deals the best. He brought up Mckenzie, Scheider, and TT as likely partners. He thinks here will be a lot of last minute....fast trades.....noted TT and Hoody Genius as well doing past deals.

Belichick is low on picks this year. I havn't got down to studying that and any possible deals with TT. That stuff takes time. That stuff diverts me from other stuff I'm trying to do.

PACKERS !

Patler
04-19-2013, 05:58 AM

That is exactly why teams that scout/draft well might have an advantage this year. They might see a very highly rated player still available, and be able to go up and get him relatively cheaply; maybe even pulling off a deal the other team wouldn't accept in a different year.

McKenzie and Dorsey might be in positions that TT was the first few years, it is necessary to bring in a lot of better players, not necessarily star players. They might be willing participants in trades bringing them more picks.

run pMc
04-19-2013, 10:44 AM
I've always been in the camp that trading down for more picks is usually the better move, since it gives you more chances to hit on a player. I'd say having a top 10 pick would be the exception to this rule, but if someone wanted to pay me a ransom for the pick (a la Ricky Williams) or a couple of picks to move 2-3 spots I'd do it.

Even if you're in the top 10, you're looking at a coin flip for whether a player will pan out. (Granted, the odds are usually better if you're in the top 10, but still...)

I think trading down into the upper 30's and picking up extra picks would help improve their depth, and heaven knows GB plays deep into the roster at some positions.
I keep reading how the quality of players between picks 15-40 is supposedly pretty equivalent, and I think they could still get a good player there.

Fritz
04-19-2013, 03:47 PM
It's just that I heard that many of the teams in the middle/end of the draft don't need QB's, so if one or two slip to the end of the round, Buffalo or a team like Buffalo might start licking its chops to get that QB. This could facilitate a trade down.

I wonder how valuable TT sees an early or mid fourth round pick as being this year? If it's a deep draft in many positions, maybe he'll want to trade down even for a fourth.

Hell, I don't know.

smuggler
04-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Maybe a 4th and a 6th or 7th

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 05:59 AM
It's just that I heard that many of the teams in the middle/end of the draft don't need QB's, so if one or two slip to the end of the round, Buffalo or a team like Buffalo might start licking its chops to get that QB. This could facilitate a trade down.

I wonder how valuable TT sees an early or mid fourth round pick as being this year? If it's a deep draft in many positions, maybe he'll want to trade down even for a fourth.

Hell, I don't know.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/4/15/4220870/2013-nfl-mock-draft-trades-lane-johnson-darrelle-revis?utm_source=sbnation&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom

2013 NFL Mock Draft: Trades shake up the top 10

By Matthew Fairburn ... Apr 15 2013, 7:00 AM

" The Buffalo Bills move back into the first round via a trade with Green Bay to secure a quarterback.

Odds are even more trades will go down on draft night, but it's fun to experiment with the swapping of picks in mock drafts. For this mock, Dan handled the even picks, and I handled the odds. Here's the full first round. "

The cost to move up to get a quarterback could be the Bills' second- and third-round picks. But if they hit on a quarterback, no one will ever remember. The question then becomes which of the quarterbacks to take. The Bills can afford to take a quarterback to develop because of the Kevin Kolb signing. Manuel is the choice because he has the best tools. He may not be around at pick 41." Fr. LINK above

GO Ted GO !

Patler
04-21-2013, 07:21 AM
#26 for #41 + #71? Sounds about right.

The Packers would then have #41, #55, #71 and #88.

smuggler
04-21-2013, 07:43 AM
I'd be comfortable doing that.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Johnny Jolly helps the Packer draft.

My top 2 guys for the Pack are Eric Reid and Jesse Willams.

A good late round pick is Zach Line -- a TT type football player.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Johnny Jolly helps the Packer draft.

My top 2 guys for the Pack are Eric Reid and Jesse Willams.

A good late round pick is Zach Line -- a TT type football player.

FB Zach line...Late 5th - 6th Rd. An alumnai of DT Brandon Williams.

What drew you to him or what did you see that's exceptional in him?

PACKERS !

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 11:15 PM
FB Zach line...Late 5th - 6th Rd. An alumnai of DT Brandon Williams.

What drew you to him or what did you see that's exceptional in him?

PACKERS !

Zach Line is a converted lb that June Jones at SMU converted to running back. Very productive runner in the run and shoot. IMO a better John Kuhn.

Solid player that could help the overall roster