PDA

View Full Version : Pack hosting RFA NT from the Steelers

smuggler
04-18-2013, 08:22 AM
The guy's name is Steve McLendon.

He played in limited action backing up Casey Hampton last season and knocked loose a fumble and tallied two sacks.

PFF had him graded at ~+8 over 200 or so snaps. He's kind of similar to the DT (Desmond Bryant) from the Raiders that ended up signing for big bucks.

The Steelers offered him the minimum tender (no compensation) and have only $800k in cap space. If we offer McLendon a contract, they have until Friday afternoon (before the draft) to free up cap space in order to match it.

I say we pull the trigger. In the worst case, we just cut him in camp.

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Finally ..... some real and worthy action.

smuggler
04-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Coming out of school he was 306. I'm not sure what kind of bulk the guy is sporting now. Perhaps he'd be more of a DE candidate in our scheme, but he was effective rotating in for Hampton at DT last season for the 'Burgh.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=79325&draftyear=2009&genpos=DT

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Coming out of school he was 306. I'm not sure what kind of bulk the guy is sporting now. Perhaps he'd be more of a DE candidate in our scheme, but he was effective rotating in for Hampton at DT last season for the 'Burgh.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=79325&draftyear=2009&genpos=DT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McLendon

and ... here's the intriguing angle >>> the Drama:

Please read all including 'the comments' that are interesting.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/18/4236940/reactions-to-steve-mclendon-talking-to-packers-social-media

PACKERS !

smuggler
04-18-2013, 09:18 AM
The fact that it distresses the Steeler fans makes it even sweeter. Even if he ends up going back to Pittsburgh, it's worth it, IMO.

smuggler
04-18-2013, 09:36 AM
I have a few questions about the RFA process...

The Steelers have offered two other players RFA tenders. That's consuming some of their cap space. Can they pull those tenders? I was under the impression that an RFA tender was guaranteed. I suppose if the offer sheet isn't signed, it wouldn't be guaranteed yet.

The other thing is, when exactly is the Steelers' deadline to respond? All RFA compensation is supposedly handled in this year's draft, which is this coming weekend. Our deadline to sign him to an offer is midnight tomorrow morning. So the Steelers have one business day to make a cap move to try and match the Packers' offer? That seems a bit crazy.

pbmax
04-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Steelers have 5 days to respond to an offer. He is not eligible for compensation because its a low offer. And if he has not signed it, its not guaranteed and the Steelers can pull it for some time yet.

smuggler
04-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Well, my thinking was that they would pull their offer sheet to one of Redman, Dwyer, or both. Thus they would have more cap space to sign McLendon.

From what I have read on McLendon, he played last season at 325# and was noticably more effective than incument starter Casey Hampton. That's not saying much, since Hampton is apparently done.

It would be really nice to pick up a quality rotational guy or even spot starter on the cheap, given Raji and CJ Wilson are both going to be FAs next year and Neal will be an RFA, I believe.

red
04-18-2013, 10:11 AM
i say, why not

don't cost nothing to try

i don't know a single thing about the guy, but if the pack feel that he's worth a look, then go for it

Cheesehead Craig
04-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Have to borrow Woodbuck's joke:

Does TT know he's in town?

smuggler
04-18-2013, 10:28 AM
That's good. I hadn't heard that before, but it's good. Heh.

Pugger
04-18-2013, 12:02 PM
I wonder if we'll make him an offer....?

swede
04-18-2013, 12:09 PM
I think if we were planning on signing him the trigger would have already been pulled. What else is there to find out other than how little the guy will take, and if you lowball him much less than 2 mil the Steelers will keep him.

How often have we heard about the visit and then signed a guy days later? Like...never. Woodson, maybe.

How often has it been that the first thing we knew about the Packers' interest in a player was reading that we had signed him already? Like...always.

Smeefers
04-18-2013, 01:36 PM
I think if we were planning on signing him the trigger would have already been pulled. What else is there to find out other than how little the guy will take, and if you lowball him much less than 2 mil the Steelers will keep him.

How often have we heard about the visit and then signed a guy days later? Like...never. Woodson, maybe.

How often has it been that the first thing we knew about the Packers' interest in a player was reading that we had signed him already? Like...always.

shit.

Smeefers
04-18-2013, 01:38 PM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2013/4/18/4239644/packers-free-agency-2013-steelers-re-sign-steve-mclendon

Double shit. Steelers resigned him.

smuggler
04-18-2013, 02:18 PM
It boils down to collusion. The league's teams almost never makes RFA offers, even when it's in their best interest. The result is that the deal the Steelers struck with McLendon is well below market value.

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 02:35 PM

See there you go. Is it wise for the welcoming committee to be composed of one man? Ted Thompson!?

I suggest 'a welcoming committee' that looks something like this:

http://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120714/640/sexy_women_with_tiny_waists_and_huge_breasts_640_0 2.jpg

With a Limo driver that looks like this:

http://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120714/640/sexy_women_with_tiny_waists_and_huge_breasts_640_0 9.jpg

The Packer 'Liason and PR Officer' back at the Hotel; looks like this:

http://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120714/640/sexy_women_with_tiny_waists_and_huge_breasts_640_2 2.jpg

That's alot better than anything I can imagine from here. I mean loosen the guy up a wee bit before Ted and Tea:

http://search.espn.go.com/ted-thompson/photos/8

Now maybe? I'm a tad out of date here. . . but back in the day. It was cool. 8-)

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 02:46 PM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2013/4/18/4239644/packers-free-agency-2013-steelers-re-sign-steve-mclendon

I'm trying to suggest something; and more and more convinced I'm ready for the:

https://vintage45.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/the-64000-question.png

Fritz
04-18-2013, 03:55 PM
See there you go. Is it wise for the welcoming committee to be composed of one man? Ted Thompson!?

I suggest 'a welcoming committee' that looks something like this:

http://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120714/640/sexy_women_with_tiny_waists_and_huge_breasts_640_0 2.jpg

With a Limo driver that looks like this:

http://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120714/640/sexy_women_with_tiny_waists_and_huge_breasts_640_0 9.jpg

The Packer 'Liason and PR Officer' back at the Hotel; looks like this:

http://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120714/640/sexy_women_with_tiny_waists_and_huge_breasts_640_2 2.jpg

That's alot better than anything I can imagine from here. I mean loosen the guy up a wee bit before Ted and Tea:

http://search.espn.go.com/ted-thompson/photos/8

Now maybe? I'm a tad out of date here. . . but back in the day. It was cool. 8-)

Now I know why they call you "Woody"!

That was one your best posts ever.

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Now I know why they call you "Woody"!

That was one your best posts ever.

The blondes...are some of my cousins. Cute girls. Smart girls too; all finishing High School. They mix well with all culture; really love people.

They demonstrate advanced PR skills. We just need 'Red Cards' and here's a bonus.

They're all keen Packer fans and verrrrry convincing.

Fritz
04-18-2013, 04:06 PM
You all have some skilled plastic surgeons up there in the north woods, my friend.

Joemailman
04-18-2013, 04:07 PM
McClendon is staying in Pittsburgh. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/McLendon-staying-in-Pittsburgh.html

Fritz
04-18-2013, 04:22 PM
We just couldn't get Woody's cousins down here in time.

But after looking at those pictures in his post, we did get woody.

red
04-18-2013, 05:01 PM
oh well, didn't hurt anything to bring him in for a look

Bretsky
04-18-2013, 07:14 PM
I wonder if we'll make him an offer....?

Can Ted Close a deal ?

Bretsky
04-18-2013, 07:15 PM

oops.........once again....why do we waste our time discussing FA visits ? lol

MadtownPacker
04-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Ha! You bitches thought you where gonna have a new player to complain about!

mission
04-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Can Ted Close a deal ?

No one ever says a GM has to be a salesman but it's a very good thought... it can't just be about numbers, there has to be a warm-fuzzy feeling and a "I like these guys" kind of vibe. TT is just not that guy. I wonder how much having zero personality has affected his ability to get guys to come to GB. We always blame it on location and not offering enough money, but it could be just as much his inability/unwillingness to offer a reach-around every now and then.

Bretsky
04-18-2013, 08:40 PM
No one ever says a GM has to be a salesman but it's a very good thought... it can't just be about numbers, there has to be a warm-fuzzy feeling and a "I like these guys" kind of vibe. TT is just not that guy. I wonder how much having zero personality has affected his ability to get guys to come to GB. We always blame it on location and not offering enough money, but it could be just as much his inability/unwillingness to offer a reach-around every now and then.

Valid points; some teams bring their guys in and nail a deal down before letting them go to the next location; of course some would argue numbers have already been discussed. But there have been reported times where a player has another trip planned and the team he's with nails him down to a contract before he leaves down. Lately GB brings guys in and then they leave and shortly after sign with somebody else. Happened with Woodson and Pickett...but they came back. I'm not sure I recall bringing a guy in and closing the deal before he leaves. Not that it's always a bad thing....I am probably just stating the obvious

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 10:28 PM

Red Alert ! Red Alert !! Red Alert !!!

Holy Crap let's not go there Mission. Such things really piss off all those posters here that imagine that TT is in the closet...'just' working.

Mae can't get over 'his Red Nose' and those 'Red' cheeks. She says he looks ......'flushed'.

Has anyone ever suggested 'beans' until FA and the Draft is over? Burnout is tuff.

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Valid points; some teams bring their guys in and nail a deal down before letting them go to the next location; of course some would argue numbers have already been discussed. But there have been reported times where a player has another trip planned and the team he's with nails him down to a contract before he leaves down. Lately GB brings guys in and then they leave and shortly after sign with somebody else. Happened with Woodson and Pickett...but they came back. I'm not sure I recall bringing a guy in and closing the deal before he leaves. Not that it's always a bad thing....I am probably just stating the obvious

Maybe it's simply TT and a bad case of 'halitosis'?

I'm so puzzled.

pbmax
04-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Be careful equating his public appearances as indicative of his private interactions. Its not likely the same impression. He had no trouble attracting and getting good performances from his personnel guys. Three of them are now running teams.

woodbuck27
04-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Be careful equating his public appearances as indicative of his private interactions. Its not likely the same impression. He had no trouble attracting and getting good performances from his personnel guys. Three of them are now running teams.

Seriously though pb?

Why can't TT step in there and get it done in terms of an acquisition and few solid FA's? This really isn't any joking matter. I handle it that way as a Packer fan; as it's so fricken' frustrating and so choose that approach. There's no sense in going all Jack Nicholson.

Seriously what's with TT and sealing the deal with more worthy FA's?

Yes people that work close to him say decent things about TT. ie Schneider,McKenzie and Dorsey.

All the same... doesn't TT and the Green Bay Packers Organization at least upon inspection from the outside. Seem to need to look at a better approach to coaxing a decent player to signing as a Green Bay Packer?

The Green Bay Packers !

Patler
04-19-2013, 05:32 AM
PB hit the nail on the head, and many Packer people have said TT is a very nice, friendly and even funny guy in person. They often describe him as a bit of an introvert, but completely honest and reliable. Maybe players don't like honesty? ("Heck, no, kid! I'm not offering a guaranteed roster spot!")

I seriously doubt a player cares much about getting the warm and fuzzies from the GM. The head coach? Maybe. His position coach? Perhaps. A player's interaction with the GM isn't much after being signed.

Patler
04-19-2013, 05:42 AM
As for TT "closing the deal", GB has had that problem forever. There was a time under Wolf when it wasn't the case. but two factors entered into that. The Packers were one of the teams that got an early handle on salary cap issues, so they had money to offer and not as many competitors for the players. Now, most teams have the cap issue under control, so players have options of where they can be signed,

The second advantage that Wolf had is that the Packers made significant upgrades to their facilities that directly impacted the players on a daily basis, to the point that in the '90s it was often said by players that the Packers facilities for players were the best in the league. Wolf mentioned that often as a huge factor in the team turnaround. The creature comforts offered to players on a daily basis. The Packers have continued to improve, but now many in the league offer the same or even more.

Fritz
04-19-2013, 03:33 PM

So you think maybe the occasional ol' reach-around might help?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0wHhT2rF98-TNO9wo74-Krn-jS2vFX1AT_ALGIXKxeezA6_ls

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 06:09 AM
PB hit the nail on the head, and many Packer people have said TT is a very nice, friendly and even funny guy in person. They often describe him as a bit of an introvert, but completely honest and reliable. Maybe players don't like honesty? ("Heck, no, kid! I'm not offering a guaranteed roster spot!")

I seriously doubt a player cares much about getting the warm and fuzzies from the GM. The head coach? Maybe. His position coach? Perhaps. A player's interaction with the GM isn't much after being signed.

This isn't exactly 'earth shaking' news. It's an old story and real. This isn't any attack on the integrity of ther Green Bay Packers honoured and esteemed GM.

This is simply a 'What in the HELL is going on around here' Vince Lombardi ... thing.

Of course there will be a serious division of TRUST between any regular fella worker and a GM (Management). That's just simple common sense...normal. A 'fact of life'.

That's not always there ( I've been hired by the equivalent of GM's in my past) and shouldn't be in the case of TT courting any possible new signing. Too often the same crap gets in our face. A man is coming to Green bay to possibly be a Packer and zippo... ziltch... didely squat...nothing... 'only' no action >>> develops ... that's real. It's just that over and over and over again.

If TT doesn't have the parts (the personality) to deliver a warm and fuzzy feeling to a man that has traveled all the way to Green Bay to possibly work/play for the Green Bay Packers?

Then ... simply get that fixed pronto. If ** that 'in reality' does exist .... fix it ... yesterday.

** PR skills.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 06:26 AM
So you think maybe the occasional ol' reach-around might help?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0wHhT2rF98-TNO9wo74-Krn-jS2vFX1AT_ALGIXKxeezA6_ls

No...The poor fella likely already got that feel good treatment at the closest to Green Bay airport. More certainly got that before his departure from....... wherever.

All that 'fresh in his mind' and not thrillin'.

Patler
04-21-2013, 07:11 AM
In case anyone missed it, this is how the Steelers gave him the warm and fuzzy feeling he apparently did not get in GB:

A three-year contract worth $7.25 million, with $1.675 million guaranteed.

smuggler
04-21-2013, 07:38 AM
They had to guarantee seasons and dollars to a largely unproven commodity because they have no alternative at NT and couldn't compete for single-season salary. If he's a nobody, we come out ahead. However, if he develops into a good player, the Steelers win.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Thank goodness no one is employed in intelligence.

This would have been a good signing since Raji is not worth the $ his agent shall be seeking.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 09:24 AM
In case anyone missed it, this is how the Steelers gave him the warm and fuzzy feeling he apparently did not get in GB:

A three-year contract worth $7.25 million, with $1.675 million guaranteed.

Yes... I just read that in this LINK Patler. The Steelers reacted quickly and with authority to the fact that NT Steve McLendon was being courted by the Packers.

I'll bet that TT offered as a max. The Vet minumum at max for one season. If so that could hardly compare to the Steelers decent offer. That >>> 'earn as you may go' plan. That TT offers, isn't often going to cut the mustard.

That NT 'obviously' was worth more than a backwards insult of a minumum Vet offer.

Did you read the Steeler fan reaction to him possibly slipping away to the Green Bay Packers? They liked this NT and wern't impressed if Pittsburg lost Steve McLendon.

Secondly the offer he did sign is certainly creditable. This is...the Pittsburg Steelers afterall. Arguably the TOP Organization in the NFL. Your certainly not / hardly going to suggest that TT has it over their GM. Especially given that Pittsburg knew his skills.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-still-too-soft-to-be-favorites-td9klcm-203946331.html

GO Ted Thompson GO !

Patler
04-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Yes... I just read that in this LINK Patler. The Steelers reacted quickly and with authority to the fact that NT Steve McLendon was being courted by the Packers.

I'll bet that TT offered as a max. The Vet minumum at max for one season. If so that could hardly compare to the Steelers decent offer. That >>> 'earn as you may go' plan. That TT offers, isn't often going to cut the mustard.

That NT 'obviously' was worth more than a backwards insult of a minumum Vet offer.

Did you read the Steeler fan reaction to him possibly slipping away to the Green Bay Packers? They liked this NT and wern't impressed if Pittsburg lost Steve McLendon.

Secondly the offer he did sign is certainly creditable. This is...the Pittsburg Steelers afterall. Arguably the TOP Organization in the NFL. Your certainly not / hardly going to suggest that TT has it over their GM. Especially given that Pittsburg knew his skills.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-still-too-soft-to-be-favorites-td9klcm-203946331.html

GO Ted Thompson GO !

I'm not at all suggesting the Steelers made a mistake, that TT knows more than they do, or anything at all like that. What makes you think so or even ask? I made no comment at all, other than to note that it took a decent sized contract to give him the warm & fuzzy feeling that some questioned whether TT can provide. Sort of like God telling White to come to GB, which by mere coincidence had made the best contract offer.

Since some may not have read the story attached to the link, I just wanted it out front that this was a guy thought to be a decent player, and one who would have cost a fair amount to sign. Just wanted the facts on the table. If he had signed the Steelers tender offer, or a one year contract, or a cheap contract, questioning TT's "ability to close" has more credibility. Signing a decent contract to return to a team that likes him, where he is expected to be a starter, shows it might have been a hard sell for the Packers right from the start.

Now a couple questions for you:
How do you have the slightest idea about what the Packers might have offered, or if they even offered anything at all????
Why do you even allude to a "backwards insult".

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Too many thin skinned rats -- no wonder you guys are always cold.

Patler
04-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Thank goodness no one is employed in intelligence.

This would have been a good signing since Raji is not worth the $ his agent shall be seeking.

I think Raji will be a tough signing. Just get the feeling he might be one of those players that will be lost in FA. Might be a better player in a role that gives him more freedom than in a 3-4.

Patler
04-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Too many thin skinned rats -- no wonder you guys are always cold.

?? I don't understand the relevance of your comment.

Joemailman
04-21-2013, 10:28 AM

Why not? Didn't TT's team beat them in the Super Bowl 2 years ago? The Steelers missed the playoffs last year and may well be a team in decline. The Steelers are one of the older teams in the NFL. The Packers only have one key player over the age of 30.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm not at all suggesting the Steelers made a mistake, that TT knows more than they do, or anything at all like that. What makes you think so or even ask? I made no comment at all, other than to note that it took a decent sized contract to give him the warm & fuzzy feeling that some questioned whether TT can provide. Sort of like God telling White to come to GB, which by mere coincidence had made the best contract offer.

Since some may not have read the story attached to the link, I just wanted it out front that this was a guy thought to be a decent player, and one who would have cost a fair amount to sign. Just wanted the facts on the table. If he had signed the Steelers tender offer, or a one year contract, or a cheap contract, questioning TT's "ability to close" has more credibility. Signing a decent contract to return to a team that likes him, where he is expected to be a starter, shows it might have been a hard sell for the Packers right from the start.

How do you have the slightest idea about what the Packers might have offered, or if they even offered anything at all???? Why do you even allude to a "backwards insult".

How do you have the slightest idea about what the Packers might have offered, or if they even offered anything at all???? Patler

How do any of us get such concrete information Patler? All we have is anaysis and speculation. You have to be interested enough /caring enough, to try to read between the lines.

Let's flip that over Patler:

Are you suggesting that that Steve McLendon arrived in Green Bay and didn't receive a concrete offer from the Green Bay Packers?

To go there is to suggest pure incompetence on the part of the Green Bay Packers.

To take that to TRUTH >>>To give us considerable insight into why TT doesn't sign many players, that otherwise might have signed; at least possibly helped the Packers improve.

To take it even further >>>To inform us that as Packer fans:

We shouldn't hope that more FA's will travel to Green Bay to see what's up with the Packers as that's purely a complete waste of time. If that's the TRUTH then the Green Bay Packers and TT are merely posturing when it comes to Free Agency. That TT isn't a real player.

"Why do you even allude to a "backwards insult" Patler

Easy. It's easy to allude to/make such an illusion.

That's exactly what a visit to Green Bay would be, with 'a minimum offer' and more so 'NO OFFER'. That... given Steve McLendon's status... confirmed by Steeler fan comments. That toped by the actual contract the Pittsburg Steelers awarded him.

Does Ted Thompson do his homework, use a practise of fairness over prudence? I don't need a man to visit me to learn I'm going to give him as little as possible. I'd use a telephone for that.

Maybe TT is in some dire need of company?

I'm the type that digs and discovers the resources to be at least decently informed. There's the rub. Likely the truest response to your questions.

Those resources must exist.

The internet provides alot these days. Direct communication skills provides realistically more. You use decent communication skills to nail anything down.

PACKERS !

Bretsky
04-21-2013, 10:32 AM

How do you have the slightest idea about what the Packers might have offered, or if they even offered anything at all????
Why do you even allude to a "backwards insult".

I'm not sure I agree that what occured hurts the TT's inability to close on a deal theory. I actually look at this as another of many many examples where the Packers dangled an olive branch out to somebody they have have an interest in, and then let him leave only to go to another team. Had TT offered him 3MIL per year for 3-4 years and closed the deal while he was in Green Bay, that would have shredded the argument.

To me it shows GB knew he was a player they might be interested in....and they let him leave.

I don't have the evidencce to suggest what TT may or may not have offered. What I did get out of all of this is the dude is probably a good player who could have really helped the Green Bay Packers....he left GB w/o a deal and the Steelers closed.... and now our hand is more forced to draft a DL next week because the odds are decent Raji is leaving.

Patler
04-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Why not? Didn't TT's team beat them in the Super Bowl 2 years ago? The Steelers missed the playoffs last year and may well be a team in decline. The Steelers are one of the older teams in the NFL. The Packers only have one key player over the age of 30.

Valid points, but maybe just the normal cycle of things for the Steelers. They seem to have been "aggressive" in allowing their roster to turn over this year, but letting older players go. Looks like they could have significant turnover come September.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 10:39 AM
The Steelers had the upper hand.

My bigger concern was TT losing out on Lynch and Moss.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 10:40 AM
I think Raji will be a tough signing. Just get the feeling he might be one of those players that will be lost in FA. Might be a better player in a role that gives him more freedom than in a 3-4.

Too much money tied up with Matthews and Rodgers to waste on a Raji.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 10:43 AM
?? I don't understand the relevance of your comment.

You answered it -- thank you:smile:

Patler
04-21-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure I agree that what occured hurts the TT's inability to close on a deal theory. I actually look at this as another of many many examples where the Packers dangled an olive branch out to somebody they have have an interest in, and then let him leave only to go to another team. Had TT offered him 3MIL per year for 3-4 years and closed the deal while he was in Green Bay, that would have shredded the argument.

To me it shows GB knew he was a player they might be interested in....and they let him leave.

I don't have the evidencce to suggest what TT may or may not have offered. What I did get out of all of this is the dude is probably a good player who could have really helped the Green Bay Packers....he left GB w/o a deal and the Steelers closed.... and now our hand is more forced to draft a DL next week because the odds are decent Raji is leaving.

Could be, or could be that he always wanted to stay with the Steelers, and the Steelers always wanted to keep him; but he wanted to maximize his contract, and the Steelers were hoping to sneak in another relatively cheap year. Or, maybe he had a three year offer from the Steelers already, but since he was a restricted free agent he came to GB to see if they would top it. He seemed to sign awful quickly after the visit to GB; so quickly that it seems the negotiation must have been pretty far along already.

The more interesting question for me is whether the Packers should have been willing to offer that much, or more? Sounds from what others are saying that he shows promise.

Bretsky
04-21-2013, 10:58 AM
The Steelers are way more cash strapped than GB right now. Had he wanted him, I think we could have structured a contract to make that happen. I was surprised they even matched the Patriots offer for the WR Sanders.

When I heard we had him in I was cautiously optimistic. Deep down I believe TT doesn't close deals so he would go back and sign with Pitt once he left town. But I was really hoping we'd add him so we could be drafting from an area of more strength.

Saying we just drafted BPA.......that's all bullshit......and a slogan ever team uses. Players who are best player availalbe at a position of need are often drafted higher, IMO, than who you have rated as the best player on the board.

A lot of these big bodies....seem to bust out or underperform. I have no stats on this....but it would be interesting....to see how many of these 300 plus guys underperform on the DL as opposed to other positions. I could randomly rip off double digts of guys over the past few years who have been great disappointments.

If we can get one we know is a player we draft from a position of strength. I've moved away from going gold or bust in free agency. I was once there as many know and going for the gold in free agency is high risk that most often doesn't reap the reward.

But I don't like being the team with a dozen olive branches who then keep them either.

Patler
04-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Too much money tied up with Matthews and Rodgers to waste on a Raji.

Sort of what I have been thinking for a couple seasons, that it would eventually get to that. If Raji was more consistently at the top of his game they might find a way to keep him. As it is, he might simply cost too much for what he gives them, even if the alternative to him isn't as good.

Patler
04-21-2013, 11:03 AM
I wonder what it would have taken to get him away from the Steelers? How much higher would they have gone? Should the Packers have offered 3 years for $9 million with $2 million guaranteed? Would the Steelers have matched that? From what others have said about the Steelers cap, I'm surprised they did this deal with him. What should TT have expected from them, this much more than the RFA tender?

Patler
04-21-2013, 11:05 AM
You answered it -- thank you:smile:

Well, then it makes even less sense? Is it thin-skinned to reply to questions that are asked?

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Sort of what I have been thinking for a couple seasons, that it would eventually get to that. If Raji was more consistently at the top of his game they might find a way to keep him. As it is, he might simply cost too much for what he gives them, even if the alternative to him isn't as good.

Raji is overrated and gets pushed around too much. This is Raji's money year so the effort could be great. Facade.

This draft is full of large defensive linemen -- no more undersized guys like Daniels and Worthy should be considered.

Expect Jolly to eventually get his starting job back.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Well, then it makes even less sense? Is it thin-skinned to reply to questions that are asked?

Keep going aristotle.

red
04-21-2013, 11:07 AM
if you take a look at this list

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444335-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-35-3-4-defensive-ends

you see that 3-4 lineman aren't the biggest superstars in the league

some of those guys, even top 10 guys, most NFL fans haven't even heard of

do you really need to pay those 3-4 lineman huge sums of money, like i think raji is going to be looking for?

a lot of the guys on that list have contracts averaging 2-4 million a year

Patler
04-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Are you suggesting that that Steve McLendon arrived in Green Bay and didn't receive a concrete offer from the Green Bay Packers?

To go there is to suggest pure incompetence on the part of the Green Bay Packers.
We shouldn't hope that more FA's will travel to Green Bay to see what's up with the Packers as that's purely a complete waste of time. If that's the TRUTH then the Green Bay Packers and TT are merely posturing when it comes to Free Agency. That TT isn't a real player.

Might very well be the case, but I am not sure at all that that would be pure incompetence if it did happen that way, or that it shows the Packers are not serious.

Does Ted Thompson do his homework, use a practise of fairness over prudence? I don't need a man to visit me to learn I'm going to give him as little as possible. I'd use a telephone for that.

I'm the type that digs and discovers the resources to be at least decently informed. There's the rub. Likely the truest response to your questions.

Those resources must exist.

The internet provides alot these days. Direct communication skills provides realistically more. You use decent communication skills to nail anything down.

PACKERS !

Well, if you are founded on research, truth and all the other stuff you claim to be, how can you even suggest that TT was willing to offer no more than the vet minimum? After all, McLendon already had a RFA tender from the Steelers for twice that amount, didn't he? Surely TT knew that he would have to offer more than the RFA tender, unless he hoped that in view of his offer for less money, the Steelers would withdraw their tender offer?

Patler
04-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Keep going aristotle.

So, this demonstrates thick skin on your part?
(We could continue this until the draft, it would give us something to do! :lol:)

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 11:29 AM

There you nailed it down B.

Since the season ended we certainly should have been aware that TT had to get a DLman signed to take pressure off of his draft. We had to be aware that BJ Raji and Ryan Pickett looked wasted at season's end.How could we possibly have had hope for our team going deep in the playoffs as the DL stood.

What was TT's reaction?

Nothing >>> ZERO !

Isn't TT aware that Ryan Pickett is near the end?

Isn't TT aware that BJ Raji was wasted at the end of our regular schedule in 2012?

Hasn't TT been aware that BJ Raji and Ryan Pickett needed support?

Let's ignore the other stuff..the New or not BJ Raji contract. The status of DL and Jerel Worthy. The ineffectiveness (in size) of Mike Daniels. The inexperience and unproven status of others on the DL.

TT just did TT and ignored and or procratinated in terms of the obvious needs on our DL. He just went on being TT and FA.

Now the draft is four days away and last Friday finally. TT makes a posturing move to sign a solid candidate to relieve his responsibility; now in the draft. To get a big man for our DL. When that's not at all a priority RE: Draft Needs.

TT has higher priorities than a big DT/NT at at least eight positions.

Ted Thompson is clearly screwing up in terms of this need at DT and Free Agency. He clearly had to secure ' now Steelers NT' Mike McLendon with an offer he couldn't refuse given the manner in which Pittsburg had been treating him.

No .... instead TT made it too easy for Pittsburg to win that one. Somehow Pittsburg was able to accomodate that NT under the CAP. Ted Thompson could have easily done that.

TT"s ignoring og our DL needs inFA is clerly inexcusable. Vet DT's were availoable and should we expect that a DTV drafted this week will get it done this season? That's unlikely to happen.

PACKERS !

Patler
04-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Raji is overrated and gets pushed around too much. This is Raji's money year so the effort could be great. Facade.

This draft is full of large defensive linemen -- no more undersized guys like Daniels and Worthy should be considered.

Expect Jolly to eventually get his starting job back.

Could be a good year for the DL in Green Bay. Raji and Neal are both playing to maximize their eventual offers from the Vikings in free agency, and Jolly might virtually be playing for his life. All three should be at the tops of their games. Pickett, Wilson and Daniels are work-hard guys anyway.

Patler
04-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Ted Thompson is clearly screwing up in terms of this need at DT and Free Agency. He clearly had to secure ' now Steelers NT' Mike McLendon with an offer he couldn't refuse given the manner in which Pittsburg had been treating him.

No ....instead TT made it too easy for Pittsburg to win that one.

No, he needed to make an offer that the Steelers wouldn't match. In view of what they signed him for, what do you think it would have taken for an offer the Steelers wouldn't have matched, and should TT have made such an offer? I really don't know, because I am surprised the Steelers went that high.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 11:42 AM
So, this demonstrates thick skin on your part?
(We could continue this until the draft, it would give us something to do! :lol:)

Thank goodness for golden retrievers.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Could be a good year for the DL in Green Bay. Raji and Neal are both playing to maximize their eventual offers from the Vikings in free agency, and Jolly might virtually be playing for his life. All three should be at the tops of their games. Pickett, Wilson and Daniels are work-hard guys anyway.

Neal is another phony that gets pushed around at the point of attack.

Let the Vikings waste their cap space on these guys.

Patler
04-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Question for the group, and I have no answer for it myself:

If the Packers didn't make an offer to McLendon; and
since he was an RFA with no real option but to return to the Steelers if he had no offers; and
With the Steelers in the salary cap situation that they are in; then

Why did the Steelers agree to a contract that seems to offer no salary cap relief over the RFA tender already on the table?
Perhaps to tie him up for two years, but why now and not later in the league year, after he proved himself a bit as the starter?

The sequence of events just seems a bit odd, especially in view of how quickly he agreed to a multi year contract after being in GB. Makes me wonder if the Packers said, "This is what we are thinking....." and he went back to the Steelers who agreed to do the same thing before a formal offer came from the Packers.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Might very well be the case, but I am not sure at all that that would be pure incompetence if it did happen that way, or that it shows the Packers are not serious.

Well, if you are founded on research, truth and all the other stuff you claim to be, how can you even suggest that TT was willing to offer no more than the vet minimum? After all, McLendon already had a RFA tender from the Steelers for twice that amount, didn't he? Surely TT knew that he would have to offer more than the RFA tender, unless he hoped that in view of his offer for less money, the Steelers would withdraw their tender offer?

"Well, if you are founded on research, truth and all the other stuff you claim to be, how can you even suggest that TT was willing to offer no more than the vet minimum? After all, McLendon already had a RFA tender from the Steelers for twice that amount, didn't he? Surely TT knew that he would have to offer more than the RFA tender, unless he hoped that in view of his offer for less money, the Steelers would withdraw their tender offer?" Patler

I read this Patler:

The cap-pinched Steelers gambled, placing the lowest restricted free-agent tender on McLendon rather than protecting him with the more expensive second-round tender. Fr. LINK available above

Would Ted Thompson not take some advantage of that information in terms of securing this NT? NT's such as he is don't grow on tree's.

Would TT not become very aware of what the Steelers were offering Steve McLendon 'before' he arrived in Green Bay? Know well in advance of his arrival what would seal the deal?

It has to be TT's business to be well aware of such information and fully prepared to seal the deal. To ensure the offer is such to entice that man to sign ASAP. Never.... to leave town at all disappointed.

This is the information that's difficult to determine. The specifics?

That's moot:

a) All we see is TT failing again.

b) All we know is that TT failed.

PACKERS !

Joemailman
04-21-2013, 11:55 AM

since he was an RFA with no real option but to return to the Steelers if he had no offers; and

Why did the Steelers agree to a contract that seems to offer no salary cap relief over the RFA tender already on the table?
Perhaps to tie him up for two years, but why now and not later in the league year, after he proved himself a bit as the starter?

The sequence of events just seems a bit odd, especially in view of how quickly he agreed to a multi year contract after being in GB. Makes me wonder if the Packers said, "This is what we are thinking....." and he went back to the Steelers who agreed to do the same thing before a formal offer came from the Packers.

I think that's right. We'll never know what the Packers offered, but it must have been for more money than his RFA tender. The likelihood is that the contract he signed with the Steelers is very similar to what the Packers offered.

Patler
04-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Neal is another phony that gets pushed around at the point of attack.

Let the Vikings waste their cap space on these guys.

Ya, he sure has been a disappointment so far. It would just be nice if the Packers could benefit from a huge "contract year" effort before he leaves. But, then everyone will be clamoring for the Packers to re-sign him. I don't expect him back either way.

Same with Raji. Probably gets priced out of GB regardless of how he plays. I just want someone more consistent than he has been. Maybe he won't garner the interest I think he will, and will return for a much smaller contract than I expect.

Bretsky
04-21-2013, 12:05 PM

I'd be a bit disappointed if TT said this is what we are thinking verbally. If they had him in would it be fair to assume we wanted him ?

If I wanted him my question would have been what will it take to get this done ?
If the number is right can we get this done ? If he says no then clearly we are a pawn

If we're going from the standpoint of this is what we are thinking it's pretty dam easy for other teams to use us.

If we put nothing down on paper, his agent and the player could tell Pittsburg anything, couldn't they ?

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 12:07 PM
No, he needed to make an offer that the Steelers wouldn't match. In view of what they signed him for, what do you think it would have taken for an offer the Steelers wouldn't have matched, and should TT have made such an offer? I really don't know, because I am surprised the Steelers went that high.

Maybe like Pittsburg Steelers fans the light finally came on Patler. Like the fans the Steelers brass saw that man's true value in him not becoming a Green Bay Packer? I can't tell you just how much I garner by reading that fans side of anything. Maybe the Pittsburg Steelers Brass read the fans appeals...the fans concerns....regarding NT Steve McGlendon.

The fans often know.

PACKERS !

Patler
04-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Woodbuck27;

I don't intend this to be sarcastic, argumentative or anything but honest, because you and I are both on here a lot. Please don't take this negatively:

One of the reasons I "ignore" you quite often is that I simply don't understand you. As a result our discussions become circular. I fear that we have reached that cross-road again! :lol:

I understood you to suggest in an earlier post that you believed TT likely offered no more than the vet minimum to McLendon. That would be something like $715,000. But, McLendon already had a tender from the Steelers for $1.323 million on a one year contract. Are you suggesting that TT wasn't prepared to offer something better than 1 year at $1.323 million?

Joemailman
04-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Maybe like Pittsburg Steelers fans the light finally came on Patler. Like the fans the Steelers brass saw that man's true value in him not becoming a Green Bay Packer? I can't tell you just how much I garner by reading that fans side of anything. Maybe the Pittsburg Steelers Brass read the fans appeals...the fans concerns....regarding NT Steve McGlendon.

The fans often know.

PACKERS !

Any GM who makes decisions based on fan appeals will soon be one of the fans.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Ya, he sure has been a disappointment so far. It would just be nice if the Packers could benefit from a huge "contract year" effort before he leaves. But, then everyone will be clamoring for the Packers to re-sign him. I don't expect him back either way.

Same with Raji. Probably gets priced out of GB regardless of how he plays. I just want someone more consistent than he has been. Maybe he won't garner the interest I think he will, and will return for a much smaller contract than I expect.

No Patler just get here ! Is this so difficult?

Has there been any serious talk and BJ Raji and contract re-newal? Something in that regard that's concrete besides that 'Big Three' prognostications. That 'Big Three' looks like much less than a triangle.

It's not happening. That for good reason and BJ Raji.

Simply cut bait on BJ Raji. Will a end of contract season motivate him? It's too late for that. No wait....TT's and MM's 'love affair' with Jermichael Finley.

There's two so called DLman that are seriously not eligible for longer terms with the Green Bay Packers and $market value$. It's obviously from my seat not working out.

They have got enough from the Green Bay Packers.

Do you go to the grocery store and 'pay a one third/ one half normal price', for moldy bread?

PACKERS !

Patler
04-21-2013, 12:26 PM
I'd be a bit disappointed if TT said this is what we are thinking verbally. If they had him in would it be fair to assume we wanted him ?

If I wanted him my question would have been what will it take to get this done ?
If the number is right can we get this done ? If he says no then clearly we are a pawn

If we're going from the standpoint of this is what we are thinking it's pretty dam easy for other teams to use us.

If we put nothing down on paper, his agent and the player could tell Pittsburg anything, couldn't they ?

Sure the agent could say anything, but do you really think the GMs and contract guys don't talk to each other?
Maybe the Packers put an RFA offer sheet in front of him with all the figures on it, he picked it up and said "Thanks, I'll let you know."

The other side of this is this: I don't know if GMs or capologists perceive any negative impact from either making on the one hand (the Packers) or having to match on the other hand (the Steelers) an offer to a player tendered as an RFA. The Packers and Steelers have a long history of supporting one another, both publicly and behind the scenes. If either did perceive any sort of negative impact from a formally offer/match scenario, an informal approach wouldn't surprise me just because of the teams involved.

After all, when you try to get an RFA away from his former team, you are almost negotiating as much with the other team as you are with the player, since the team has the right to match the offer.

Patler
04-21-2013, 12:28 PM

Has there been any serious talk and BJ Raji and contract re-newal? Something in that regard that's concrete besides that 'Big Three' prognostications. That 'Big Three' looks like much less than a triangle.

Simply cut bait on BJ Raji. Will a end of contract season motivate him? It's too late for that. No wait....TT's and MM's 'love affair' with Jermichael Finley.

There's two so called DLman that are seriously not eligible for longer terms with the Green Bay Packers and $market value$. It's obviously from my seat not working out.

Do you go to the grocery store and 'pay a one third/ one half normal price', for moldy bread?

PACKERS !

See me previous post to you!

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Woodbuck27;

I don't intend this to be sarcastic, argumentative or anything but honest, because you and I are both on here a lot. Please don't take this negatively:

One of the reasons I "ignore" you quite often is that I simply don't understand you. As a result our discussions become circular. I fear that we have reached that cross-road again! :lol:

I understood you to suggest in an earlier post that you believed TT likely offered no more than the vet minimum to McLendon. That would be something like $715,000. But, McLendon already had a tender from the Steelers for $1.323 million on a one year contract. Are you suggesting that TT wasn't prepared to offer something better than 1 year at $1.323 million?

Sure the classic I don't understand you. Don't simply see it...insult it.

Do you understand this Patler?

We don't know what TT offered Steve McLendon?

This was written on April 20, 2013.

Steve McLendon was in Green Bay on Wed. 17 April 2013 and out and signed the following day... Thursday 18 April 2013 to this Pittsburg Steeler offer:

A reported, three-year, $7.25 million contract that contained a $1.675 million signing bonus.

It seems to me that we're not even sure if TT made an offer to this man. Are we sure that TT made any offer Patler?

I'll go with your play Patler.

TT and Steve McLendon are on the phone as that seems normal to expect. TT confirms the minimum tender offer in that conversation or beforehand by available means. TT make an offer above that minumum tender offer.

If that's the case does Steve McLendon come to Green Bay to meet Ted Thompson and leave? He listens to Ted's offer that exceeds Pittsburgs minumum tender offer, on the telephone.

Comes into Green Bay last Wed. to sign the contract.

The 'only' way he comes in and leaves soon after, without signing is if TT lowballed him. The definition of lowballing from a personal perspective...'less than any man expects'.

I might say I get lowballed here. Except for this and posters like you. I've come to accept that I'll always get less that I expect. I handle that by not expecting very much.

I'm positive that any perspective I take opposite or somehow contrary to your's. Isn't always wrong. I don't have to be always the winner. Always the smartest. I just go with this fact.

I'm pretty damn smart.

PACKERS!

pbmax
04-21-2013, 01:05 PM

I think calling Steve McClendon moldy bread is a little unfair. Stop gap is the preferred term.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Any GM who makes decisions based on fan appeals will soon be one of the fans.

Well get this Joe:

In this study your wrong. The fans were entirely upset that the Steelers might lose Steve McLendon. It's all on the record as I found it...reported it.

I posted the fan reaction so posters here would see the value in Steve McLendon from their view. Thusly for us, value this possible signing.

PACKERS !

pbmax
04-21-2013, 01:12 PM
If Steve McClendon preferred to stay with the Steelers, then there are far more reasons than a phantom or lowered Thompson contract offer to explain why McClendon would leave GB without signing a deal. Or the Steelers could have topped the packers offer.

Do you think Jarrett Bush was lowballed by the Titans and then came back to the Packers to sign an even more lucrative deal than his tender?

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 01:13 PM
I think calling Steve McClendon moldy bread is a little unfair. Stop gap is the preferred term.

That reference certainly wasn't in any form meant for Pittsburg Steeler NT Steve McLendon. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance as Packer fan to assess his talents, contributions or services.

It was in reference to present Green Bay Packers that often simply take up space on our DL, Roster and Salary CAP.

pbmax
04-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Well get this Joe:

In this study your wrong. The fans were entirely upset that the Steelers might lose Steve McLendon. It's all on the record as I found it...reported it.

I posted the fan reaction so posters here would see the value in Steve McLendon from thie view and so value this possible signing.

PACKERS !

Because they had NO OTHER nose tackles on the roster! Not because he is Curly Culp revisited. Because he was all that was left since Casey Hampton had been let go.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 01:18 PM

There on top of your possible arrogance. Your disrespect is overwhelming me.

Geeeee. :-D

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Because they had NO OTHER nose tackles on the roster! Not because he is Curly Culp revisited. Because he was all that was left since Casey Hampton had been let go.

When were the Pittsburg Steelers Brass going to realize that as the fans obviously and already did?

The issue was CAP space and clearly such to retain Steve Mclendon.

They darn well knew that if he went to Green Bay and returned for nothing. He would go elsewhere for something more that the Packers GM offered him or not.

I can claim this clearly. It was incumbant on TT to talk to that man before he left to travel to Green Bay and present a verbal offer.

Not anything like.

"Come on up to Green Bay Steve for a visit and a talk. We might be able to do something for you."

Steve McLendon had zero when he decided to check on Ted Thompson and not much more when he left.

PACKERS !

Patler
04-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Sure the classic I don't understand you. Don't simply see it...insult it.

Do you understand this Patler?

We don't know what TT offered Steve McLendon?

This was written on April 20, 2013.

Steve McLendon was in Green Bay on Wed. 17 April 2013 and out and signed the following day... Thursday 18 April 2013 to this Pittsburg Steeler offer:

A reported, three-year, $7.25 million contract that contained a $1.675 million signing bonus.

It seems to me that we're not even sure if TT made an offer to this man. Are we sure that TT made any offer Patler?

I'll go with your play Patler.

TT and Steve McLendon are on the phone as that seems normal to expect. TT confirms the minimum tender offer in that conversation or beforehand by available means. TT make an offer above that minumum tender offer.

If that's the case does Steve McLendon come to Green Bay to meet Ted Thompson and leave? He listens to Ted's offer that exceeds Pittsburgs minumum tender offer, on the telephone.

Comes into Green Bay last Wed. to sign the contract.

The 'only' way he comes in and leaves soon after, without signing is if TT lowballed him. The definition of lowballing from a personal perspective...'less than any man expects'.

I might say I get lowballed here. Except for this and posters like you. I've come to accept that I'll always get less that I expect. I handle that by not expecting very much.

I'm positive that any perspective I take opposite or somehow contrary to your's. Isn't always wrong. I don't have to be always the winner. Always the smartest. I just go with this fact.

I'm pretty damn smart.

PACKERS!

I knew you would take it wrong.

It becomes apparent to me after a couple exchanges with you that I simply do not understand you, nor do you understand me; because our discussions never follow any logical advancement. As I wrote earlier, we just go around in circles. That's on both of us. We just do not communicate well with each other for whatever reason.

But, unlike you, I am not very smart; so I guess that explains it.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 01:36 PM
SM would have been a nice acquisition for the right price.

After June I would cut Hawk and Tramon Williams.

pbmax
04-21-2013, 01:43 PM
They [Steelers, I presume] darn well knew that if he went to Green Bay and returned for nothing. He would go elsewhere for something more that the Packers GM offered him or not.

I can claim this clearly.

You might be able to claim this clearly, but I have no idea what you mean. Please restate more plainly.

pbmax
04-21-2013, 01:46 PM
When were the Pittsburg Steelers Brass going to realize that as the fans obviously and already did?

The issue was CAP space and clearly such to retain Steve Mclendon.

This is sensible. They were trying to get him for a song to help with their cap space. Plain enough.

But then why suddenly sign him for much more than the minimum tender, with a bonus and all? What leverage produced a new Steelers offer?

Patler
04-21-2013, 01:48 PM

PACKERS !

There on top of your possible arrogance. Your disrespect is overwhelming me.

Geeeee. :-D

Well, then maybe you can answer this for me, do you realize that you and I have the same opinion on Raji, that he is unlikely to return to GB because he will seek and likely receive an offer from someone else far outweighing his value to GB?

It is not clear from your post in which you quoted mine whether you were agreeing with me, or arguing with me. I had no clue how to answer. Maybe it was just the first and last sentences that confused me.

Patler
04-21-2013, 01:53 PM
This is sensible. They were trying to get him for a song to help with their cap space. Plain enough.

But then why suddenly sign him for much more than the minimum tender, with a bonus and all? What leverage produced a new Steelers offer?

My point exactly. Not only why, but how was it done so quickly?
There was something more in play than just the RFA tender from Pittsburgh and a bare visit to Green Bay.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 02:06 PM
I think that's right. We'll never know what the Packers offered, but it must have been for more money than his RFA tender. The likelihood is that the contract he signed with the Steelers is very similar to what the Packers offered.

That's a GIANT LEAP in Ted Thompson faith.

Which is it with you?

We'll never know what the Packers offered, but it must have been for more money than his RFA tender. Joemailman

A) We'll never know what the Packers offered?

or

B) It must have been for more money....than....

Please choose just one of the above for us. It cannot be both ways.

It's A) or B) !

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Actually Patler ....let's let it be as it must:

You go ahead imagining that your correct.

Patler
04-21-2013, 02:23 PM

That's a GIANT LEAP in Ted Thompson faith.

Which is it with you?

We'll never know what the Packers offered, but it must have been for more money than his RFA tender. Patler

A) We'll never know what the Packers offered?

or

B) It must have been for more money....than....

Please choose just one of the above for us. It cannot be both ways Patler. It's A) or B) !

How well are you undestanding this?

I make every possible effort to be understood. It could be me and a round about right back at you mister. I'm more sensable than that as your makeup gives no ground. I've observd that in you for some eight years plus.

It's so easy for you and any other here when cornered to simply... insult. Cast shadows about that poster. You must be correct. That's so sad.

For you to ever be open minded? Niiigghhhttt ! Forget that.

That would be acting like some normal person. No you have the POWERS of knowing the unknown.

The likelihood is that the contract he signed with the Steelers is very similar to what the Packers offered

That's even as a presumption...unfounded and well... 'simply' unbelievable.

PACKERS !

Not sure who you are addressing this to, Joemailman whom you quoted, or me, who you referenced when you repeated the quote?

Patler
04-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Actually Patler ....let's let it be as it must:

You go ahead imagining that your correct.

Fine with me. What is it that I am correct about????

Bretsky
04-21-2013, 02:28 PM
my guess is GB talked numbers and we went back and got more. GB certainly would have offered him more IMO than the lowball tag he got from Pitt
Talking numbers and closing he deal.....very different.....who knows it was possible..........but one could argue it's a pattern

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Not sure who you are addressing this to, Joemailman whom you quoted, or me, who you referenced when you repeated the quote?

I simply made an error and should not have directed that to you. That was meant for the poster. That poster was 'in fact' Joemailman not you Patler.

I apologize for that.

Patler
04-21-2013, 02:49 PM
I simply made an error and should not have directed that to you. That was meant for the poster. That poster was 'in fact' Joemailman not you Patler.

I apoligize for that.

No problem. No need to apologize.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Fine with me. What is it that I am correct about????

When I read that post fr. Joe and thought it was from you. I simply decided inside my rebuttal to realize the impending frustration.

I don't like argument.

I therefore decided to allow your way. Walk away scratching my head.

The better side of valour...walk away sometimes.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 03:02 PM

Yes ....the Pittsburg Steeler fans were certainly aware of that. Those fans felt that losing Steven McLendon would be huge. Why?

Because he had experience as a Steeler. He was more that just serviceable.

Ted Thompson needed to be all over that and cut that NT away from Pittsburg. Make a solid offer that made him want to be a Green Bay Packer. You make an offer and observe him. You talk about life and let that man get to know you different ways.

If he's not asking for the pen...up the offer.

It's like buying a big ticket item in reverse. You never pay what the store asks for. You get the salesman liking you and then tell him what you'll pay out. He'll look at that sale price that you set not him/her and calculate his commission and go for that or not.

TT had to know the value of Steven McLendon. Otherwise... why ask him to come into Green Bay. Once he's there you sell him on the Packers and ensure that he signs. TT has to pitch harder.

Too often he fails. It's not as much ...a case of or guess why? It's that...it happens too often. That that's 'a fact'.

PACKERS!

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 03:08 PM
No problem. No need to apologize.

I apologize too.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 03:20 PM
I knew you would take it wrong.

It becomes apparent to me after a couple exchanges with you that I simply do not understand you, nor do you understand me; because our discussions never follow any logical advancement. As I wrote earlier, we just go around in circles. That's on both of us. We just do not communicate well with each other for whatever reason.

But, unlike you, I am not very smart; so I guess that explains it.

Patler is that a condescension? In any case... I'm not buying this:

"I am not very smart". Patler

I'm positively smart enough to make this claim. I'm positive those who really know you would have ample proof to disagree as to the truth of the quote above.

I'm smart enough to know that your smart; or I wouldn't try so hard with you. :smile:

pbmax
04-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Yes ....the Pittsburg Steeler fans were certainly aware of that. Those fans felt that losing Steven McLendon would be huge. Why?

Because he had experience as a Steeler. He was more that just serviceable.

Ted Thompson needed to be all over that and cut that NT away from Pittsburg. Make a solid offer that made him want to be a Green Bay Packer. You make an offer and observe him. You talk about life and let that man get to know you different ways.

If he's not asking for the pen...up the offer.

It's like buying a big ticket item in reverse. You never pay what the store asks for. You get the salesman liking you and then tell him what you'll pay out. He'll look at that sale price that you set not him/her and calculate his commission and go for that or not.

TT had to know the value of Steven McLendon. Otherwise... why ask him to come into Green Bay. Once he's there you sell him on the Packers and ensure that he signs. TT has to pitch harder.

Too often he fails. It's not as much ...a case of or guess why? It's that...it happens too often. That that's 'a fact'.

PACKERS!

Except that there is not one buyer in this instance. McClendon can take any offer he gets and shop it to the other team.

Do you always buy when you shop Buck? Do you always buy at the first store you stop at? Saying no when it goes past your price is generally a good policy. Otherwise you end up beating the price of the most desperate team.

swede
04-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Thank goodness for golden retrievers.

...and Golden, receivers, Richards and Tate.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1866wrim000vwjpg/original.jpg

Free agent walks into a bar. TT says "What'll you have?"

Free agent says, "I'd like to be paid huge cash for my services."

TT says, "We don't serve your kind here."

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 03:38 PM
You might be able to claim this clearly, but I have no idea what you mean. Please restate more plainly.

The Steelers organization had to know that Steve McLendon had made a trip to Green Bay. Today any news travels fast. For the Steelers to not be aware that he was going to Green Bay and when he had returned. Would be simply unbelievable.

On his return they had come around to 'we're not allowing him to try his luck elsewhere'.

It's was time to bring him back fully. Up their offer. To dodge a bullet again wasn't going to be in the stars. He knew their system and he was worth the increase.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Except that there is not one buyer in this instance. McClendon can take any offer he gets and shop it to the other team.

Do you always buy when you shop Buck? Do you always buy at the first store you stop at? Saying no when it goes past your price is generally a good policy. Otherwise you end up beating the price of the most desperate team.

No TT is buying and Steve McLendon is selling.

It's the opposite of you or I shopping for anything big; as in costly.

TT makes a decent and fair offer based on solid assessment of the mans value to the team/his market value. I wouldn't invite the man to Green Bay for a casual talk. I want him and clearly make him realize the $$TRUTH$$ of that on the phone.

I'm very pleased when he arrives and I feel the deal will close. I want to ensure that he's healthy too. That's a matter of the course.

He arrives and we talk about many things. Dogs, cats, his children and his folks etc. Maybe we get into hobby talk. Does he like to garden etc.? Little of that has to do with $$. That's done on the telephone or he's not in Green Bay.

At some point he $$ups$$ or doesn't seem enthusiastic. I decide or not to $$up$$.

I do not let him come and go without either him or I $$uping$$.

He makes the final decision. I'm thinking if he goes I lost him.
Me and buying. I'm extremely good at that. I get ridiculously low prices pb.

People cannot believe how I do that but it's one of my best skills. It gets so bad sometimes that if the store or dealership 'sales manager' isn't keeping up. I'll walk away with a purchase at near cost.

I'm a great shopper in terms of 'the deal'. That 'by the way' works best on the phone. I seldom purchase on impulse. I plan alot. I'm a Capricorn.

Steve McLendon wasn't shopping himself across town. He had to travel a long ways to meet Ted Thompson. To do that he had to be serious about the prospects of being a Green Bay Packer.