PDA

View Full Version : GOING TO NFL GAMES- LOSING IT'S POPULARITY ??

Bretsky
04-19-2013, 12:17 AM
A widely debated topic on the NFL Network lately. At the risk of sounding spoiled (my father has had season tix for a long time), I grew up going to a few games a year as a kid and have always had the opportunity to go to 2-3 games a year. If I don't go my parents take friends.

Lately, I've been far less inclined to take the Road Trip to Lambeau.

WHY ???

Tickets are now about $100 per person. My wife and I would cost 200 and the whole family 400. And that would be w/o drive time or any expenses so you can probably add about 200 between gas, food, parking, and beverages. I'd not that we can't afford it, but it's to a point where it's hard for me to choose to.

The in home experience is 10X what it used to be with either the NFL Package or channels like the Red Zone that allow you updated on every game.

The 65" Samsung with surround sound also makes staying home more enjoyable, and I find value in staying home with flexibility all of Sunday as well.

Now in markets like Green Bay, the Packers have 60G waiting and they are always sold out...so they could really give a shit less about the above

But in the Bigger Picture, will the improvements in all of the In Home expierences as well as the rising cost of the tickets hurting the NFL, or at minimum many of the teams who are challenged to sell tickets ?

AND IF IT IS, what are solutions ?????

This camera in the locker room is ABSOLUTE JUNNK imo. I could care less about seeing that. I'd rather stay home and watch the post games. Curious about what others think

Bretsky
04-19-2013, 12:20 AM
I don't think spending excess money to cover locker rooms does much...........my idea.....if I have one....is to try to improve the experience in the Parking Lots before the games.

Perhaps having experiences for kids........brining in past players for meet n greets, pictures, autographs (they could charge for this)......I think doing creative things before the games....that can make the experience as a whole far better

wist43
04-19-2013, 01:27 AM
The economy is down. Even if it isn't affecting you personally, a lot of people who would otherwise be spending disposable income on such things as game tickets are either sitting on that money, paying down debt, or don't have that money at all now due to loss of income.

It's not as noticable at NFL games, as the NFL is the most popular sport in the country - it's very noticable at NASCAR races. It's starting to pick back up a little bit, but going back a few years the stands at some of those races were almost empty. The networks televising the races were careful to set the cameras up in such a way that you couldn't see much of the stands.

It's economics more than anything else.

Patler
04-19-2013, 04:59 AM
The NFL itself raised this topic about 3 years ago at an owners meeting. I think their fear is that a drop in interest due to the economy can become permanent if people realize they don't miss the experience.

Personally, I haven't been that interested in attending NFL or college games for decades. I would much rather watch from the comforts of home, usually on a delayed basis.

But, don't worry about the NFL. They will soon be charging us for watching any game at home. That has been their goal for a long time, and they are inching toward achieving it.

red
04-19-2013, 08:50 AM
the solution is simple, DROP PRICES

tickets, parking, food/drinks etc

i only get to 1 game or so every two years if someone i know can get tickets for face value. otherwise, you're looking at 200-400 bucks for a single ticket on a place like stub hub

thats a lot of coin

also, i can't get drunk at a game. for one, the beers are like 7 bucks each, it would cost like 70 bucks to get drunk. i also can't get drunk because i have a 2.5 hour drive home after the game

so, instead i can sit at home, in my chair, for free. get drunk off a 6er or a twelve pack for under $10, and talk and bitch to you assholes

Cheesehead Craig
04-19-2013, 08:54 AM
the solution is simple, DROP PRICES

tickets, parking, food/drinks etc

What? And miss out on all that revenue? Jerry Jones would roll over in his grave if he heard you talking like that.

ThunderDan
04-19-2013, 08:58 AM
I will go to all three Gold package games as long as I have tickets and am not out of town. Nothing like going to Mighty Lambeau and cheering the boys to victory in person.

red
04-19-2013, 09:07 AM
What? And miss out on all that revenue? Jerry Jones would roll over in his grave if he heard you talking like that.

i don't have any numbers, but i would think the majority of teams revenues come through the TV deals now more then ticket sales

no?

MJZiggy
04-19-2013, 10:01 PM
I'm with Red. If I want to go up to Balto to see them this season, I will pay through the nose to a ticket reseller. It's cheaper to go to the bar.

Cheesehead Craig
04-20-2013, 11:03 PM
It's a serious hassle to go a game both physically and financially. Just isn't what it once was, and we can thank FOX, CBS and NBC for that for making it so damn easy and HD-able at home.

King Friday
04-21-2013, 08:15 AM
The hassle is significantly less if you aren't a fan of a team like the Packers, who have a waiting list a mile long to get season tickets and are usually a contending team. It is still relatively affordable and easy to attend games for many other NFL teams. Like others have mentioned, the NFL teams do not depend on ticket revenue like other pro sports since they have such a small number of home games to build revenue. If a team like Green Bay did depend heavily on ticket revenue, then the Packers would be charging more for tickets because clearly demand exceeds supply among the cheeseheads.

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Nothing replaces attending the actual game.

Prices and the hassles getting to the game just makes it easier to watch it on tv.

woodbuck27
04-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Nothing replaces attending the actual game.

Prices and the hassles getting to the game just makes it easier to watch it on tv.

Welcome back. 8-)

This is going to be an exciting week coming onto and including Thurs. Friday and Saturday.

GO PACK GO !

rbaloha1
04-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Welcome back. 8-)

This is going to be an exciting week coming onto and including Thurs. Friday and Saturday.

GO PACK GO !

It sure it is. My fan club expectations are kind of high though. The behind scenes e-mail stuff is comical:wow:

gbgary
04-21-2013, 08:34 PM
season tickets are for the rich folk. i'm sure most sell some of their tickets to brokers and stay home themselves. the recliner and big hd are fine with me. it's been a few years since i've be to GB. i'd go to a game every year if my Packer buddy, who i go up with, could go but he's pretty cheap so it's been a while. this year he wants to go and i plan on going with my brother, who's never been, that i haven't seen for many years. it will be an even bigger event than usual due to this. i'll probably go to the dallas game too. the boys will be out of it by then and tickets should be plentiful. lol