PDA

View Full Version : D J Smith waived

Old School
04-24-2013, 06:42 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/204569671.html

pbmax
04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
From Wilde at ESPN Wisconsin:

Smith’s agent, Lamont Smith, told Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette that the Packers told him that the team “indicated there was something they needed to create some (salary-cap) space for,” but the Packers’ cap savings in cutting Smith is negligible. His 2013 base salary was just $550,000, as was Saine’s.

Spotrac agrees with him: Year: 2013, Base: 555,000, Pro-Ration: 25,788, Cap Number: 580,788, Dead Money if cut: 51,576

red
04-24-2013, 07:21 PM
this shocks me

that little dude had skills

and thats bs, they don't save a damn thing cutting him or saine. their calary cap number is just gonna be taken up by someone else making the minimum amount

pbmax
04-24-2013, 07:39 PM
ESPN's NFC North blog thinks the injury must be more severe than previously understood. But its an ACL, not a dual fracture in his leg with nerve damage. Those things have a pretty well-known timetable now.

Whatever the reason, it might help explain/be the result of Brad Jones new contract. Could Brad Jones future as the dime linebacker have cost DJ his job?

red
04-24-2013, 07:45 PM
honestly, i would rather have an injured smith than jones

in smith i saw a guy with starter potential in the future

in jones, i see a guy that makes me cringe when he comes onto the field

Joemailman
04-24-2013, 07:54 PM
I think Smith's agent wants teams to think the reason he was cut was something other than the knee.

RashanGary
04-24-2013, 08:02 PM
I think Smith's agent wants teams to think the reason he was cut was something other than the knee.

I think Smith's agent wants teams to think it's something other than him not rehabbing with the effort the team expects.

My hunch, and it's just a hunch, is that Smith didn't work-out like they wanted him to. Both he and Saine got the ax after health check-ins. The Packers seem to be patient with injuries, but they weren't with these two guys for whatever reason.

Guiness
04-24-2013, 08:03 PM
This was not a cap move - not at that much money. Add his dead money to a rookie contract and you're pretty much at his salary.

I don't think it's injury recovery - maybe they didn't like what they saw when he started last year. It would've been a pretty low risk move to bring him into camp, unless they saw no reason to.

Patler
04-24-2013, 08:13 PM
I suspect they looked at his knee, figured he wouldn't be ready for training camp, maybe the start of the season, and figured there wasn't much reason to hang on to him. When he is healed and ready to go, maybe they will reconsider.

red
04-24-2013, 08:15 PM
if it really is somehow cap related (even though it isn't), might i suggest cutting the most worthless player on our team who has a cap number of about 1.8 million this season

RashanGary
04-24-2013, 08:24 PM
I suspect they looked at his knee, figured he wouldn't be ready for training camp, maybe the start of the season, and figured there wasn't much reason to hang on to him. When he is healed and ready to go, maybe they will reconsider.

The only reason I lean away from this is how much they said they liked him last year. If they really like him as a player, and I think they do, I think he would have had to push some (poor work ethic) buttons to get canned the way he did.

pbmax
04-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Poor rehab effort seems contrary to the kids attitude about playing and practicing. He made a crowded ILB field as a 6th round, undersized pick.

But concerns over health did not prevent the Packer from keeping Sherrod. I think this has to do with roster spots as Patler said. They now have probably until September to try someone else out. Two else's, actually (Saine).

rbaloha1
04-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Poor rehab effort seems contrary to the kids attitude about playing and practicing. He made a crowded ILB field as a 6th round, undersized pick.

But concerns over health did not prevent the Packer from keeping Sherrod. I think this has to do with roster spots as Patler said. They now have probably until September to try someone else out. Two else's, actually (Saine).

how does this effect your vodoo analysis?

KYPack
04-24-2013, 09:07 PM
this shocks me

that little dude had skills

and thats bs, they don't save a damn thing cutting him or saine. their calary cap number is just gonna be taken up by someone else making the minimum amount

He was a plugger, Red. But he had big time cover issues. They must want Manning and Lattimore getting reps (along with Frenchy).

They might have some ideas about taking a kid at ILB in the draft, also.

rbaloha1
04-24-2013, 09:10 PM
He was a plugger, Red. But he had big time cover issues. They must want Manning and Lattimore getting reps (along with Frenchy).

I liked him since he was feisty at the point of attack. Lack of height presented problems in coverage.

Manning and Lattimore certainly deserve shots.

pittstang5
04-24-2013, 09:30 PM

Yes, A.J. Klein. He needs to be a Packer.

Joemailman
04-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Manning is someone who could really open some eyes in training camp. Wasn't healthy last year due to a virus, but showed some real physicality late in the year on special teams.

smuggler
04-24-2013, 10:04 PM
I'm a bit disappointed. I wonder if things might have been different for him if Duane Brown hadn't cheapshotted him in the knee last season..... I also wonder if this means anything with regard to Arthur Brown. They play similar game style-wise.

smuggler
04-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Another thought is that both players are coming back from injury and will not be making FA trips..... Not anytime soon. Could this be mere cap gamesmanship? A long shot in myriad rationale.

Carolina_Packer
04-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Well, I trust there was an acceptable reason why the team did this. If they thought it was for the best to keep him on the team, he would have stayed. They need all the good football players they can get, and they aren't in the habit of just cutting talent for no reason.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2013, 11:03 PM
I liked Smith's potential, so this is disappointing to me.

Bretsky
04-24-2013, 11:06 PM
I liked Smith's potential, so this is disappointing to me.

Just a year ago we were debating if Smith has the upside to take Hawk's spot and perhaps even let Hawk go after he did. Either we overrated him....or the injury is really bad

We kept Hacks around like Frank Waldo when they were hurt. There must be more to this than we know

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Just a year ago we were debating if Smith has the upside to take Hawk's spot and perhaps even let Hawk go after he did. Either we overrated him....or the injury is really bad

We kept Hacks around like Frank Waldo when they were hurt. There must be more to this than we know

Looking back at the injuries we've had at ILB (Barnett, Bishop, Smith), it does make you appreciate Hawk's availability, if nothing else.

woodbuck27
04-25-2013, 06:04 AM

SS ILB is a T-5th priority after 3-4 DE; Safety (SS); OLB and OL ie Tackle. I think that TT will try to go ** SILB in this draft.

He might add OLB as well.

It won't be **Kevin Minter, as he has other priorities early, like DL. The word is that TT always goes BPA.

Other good choices later in the draft are: Trevardo Williams, Conneticut; Jonathan Bostic,Florida (I like this guy); Kiko Alonso, Oregon; and maybe Brandon Jenkins, Florida State or AJ Klein, Iowa State.

Trevardo Williams, Connecticut plays every down (he's 6' - 1" - 241 lbs.), with a motor that never stops. He's always thinking SACK. I have him in my Mock. The Mock I'll never present, as it's gotten to too late.

GO PACK GO !

Fritz
04-25-2013, 06:16 AM
The recent narrative coming out of the JSO, which they claim is coming out of Lombardi Drive, is that the team is nearly paranoid about injuries now. So in that story, Smith and Saine will take too long to rehab and no one will really know how they'll do, so the team is cutting ties in order to bring in more untested but healthier talent. An article this morning in the JSO suggested that now the team will be hyper-vigilant about taking any players in the draft with an injury history. The slightly odd part about that is that neither Smith nor Saine had a college injury history.

I don't know if McGinn has a better inside source these days and we're getting the real scoop (they admit they're too soft, they're paranoid about injury now), or if he's just whipping the readership into a frenzy. Check out these three paragraphs from one of his pieces this morning:

"Ryan Pickett, 33, and entering his 13th season, is nearing the end. He reported two weeks ago overweight and out of shape.

"B.J. Raji will be entering his contract year, but you sure wouldn't have known it by his conditioning. He has looked as sloppy as Pickett, and at this juncture his employment beyond this season is uncertain.

"The coaches have seen Johnny Jolly, too, and he's every bit as beefy as the others. For Jolly to have any chance to contribute after three silent seasons, he needed to report in tiptop shape so he could focus on football. That didn't happen, not by a long shot."

Smeefers
04-25-2013, 06:29 AM
It's exactly what happened with Abdul Hodge and Brandon Chiller. The guys were going to be out for too long. Second stringers do not get afforded the same opportunity starters and potential starters do. We may have been kicking around the idea that Smith could snatch up the starting role, but as long as Hawk was there, you had to know it wasn't going to happen.

pbmax
04-25-2013, 07:51 AM
It's exactly what happened with Abdul Hodge and Brandon Chiller. The guys were going to be out for too long. Second stringers do not get afforded the same opportunity starters and potential starters do. We may have been kicking around the idea that Smith could snatch up the starting role, but as long as Hawk was there, you had to know it wasn't going to happen.

It might explain why near starters Sherrod, Zombo, Green and Quarless stuck around and these guys didn't. But Bishop isn't a certain recovery and while Jones played admirable for a 3rd stringer (and covered better) he is no lock to start either. So Smith is really in the same spot as Zombo and Quarless.

Timing might play a part as all four above were expected to take part in some part of this years camp (though Quarless wasn't last year).

pbmax
04-25-2013, 07:56 AM
The recent narrative coming out of the JSO, which they claim is coming out of Lombardi Drive, is that the team is nearly paranoid about injuries now. So in that story, Smith and Saine will take too long to rehab and no one will really know how they'll do, so the team is cutting ties in order to bring in more untested but healthier talent. An article this morning in the JSO suggested that now the team will be hyper-vigilant about taking any players in the draft with an injury history. The slightly odd part about that is that neither Smith nor Saine had a college injury history.

I don't know if McGinn has a better inside source these days and we're getting the real scoop (they admit they're too soft, they're paranoid about injury now), or if he's just whipping the readership into a frenzy. Check out these three paragraphs from one of his pieces this morning:

"Ryan Pickett, 33, and entering his 13th season, is nearing the end. He reported two weeks ago overweight and out of shape.

"B.J. Raji will be entering his contract year, but you sure wouldn't have known it by his conditioning. He has looked as sloppy as Pickett, and at this juncture his employment beyond this season is uncertain.

"The coaches have seen Johnny Jolly, too, and he's every bit as beefy as the others. For Jolly to have any chance to contribute after three silent seasons, he needed to report in tiptop shape so he could focus on football. That didn't happen, not by a long shot."

I think some of the new guys at Lombardi Avenue are friendlier to McGinn than the old guard. Highsmith is on Twitter a decent bit and they already have had to gag Eliot Wolf once for things he was talking about on his Twitter account.

We'll see if the new source is accurate as the last big prediction, Finley not being retained, failed to materialize.

rbaloha1
04-25-2013, 07:58 AM

Nah other posters think we need a couple of tweaks along with magic fairy dust and the d-line morphs into a dominant line.

Remember it was due Perry and Bishop being out and lack of prep work for getting overwhelmed at line of scrimmage.

Guru Capers will fix it all.

KEEP THE FAITH:smile:

pittstang5
04-25-2013, 08:00 AM

Wow - not good. I had a feeling Jolly would be out of shape. When you're removed from the type of conditioning the the NFL requires and have a history like Jolly does, you can't expect him to be doing the "right thing" and then just pick up where he left off. I'm not as optimsitc as some that Jolly would be able to contribute this year or ever again. I'll be surprised if he makes the team. Even with that said, as a Packer Fan, I hope I'm wrong.

As for Pickett and Raji - Again, I'm not too surprised, but dissappointed. But it's early and they have time to get into shape. I guess you could say the same for Jolly too, I but I have my doubts in his case.

Even before this, I was expecting TT to focus on Defense again in this draft, specifically the D-line. Looks like he might not have a choice.

rbaloha1
04-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Wow - not good. I had a feeling Jolly would be out of shape. When you're removed from the type of conditioning the the NFL requires and have a history like Jolly does, you can't expect him to be doing the "right thing" and then just pick up where he left off. I'm not as optimsitc as some that Jolly would be able to contribute this year or ever again. I'll be surprised if he makes the team. Even with that said, as a Packer Fan, I hope I'm wrong.

As for Pickett and Raji - Again, I'm not too surprised, but dissappointed. But it's early and they have time to get into shape. I guess you could say the same for Jolly too, I but I have my doubts in his case.

Even before this, I was expecting TT to focus on Defense again in this draft, specifically the D-line. Looks like he might not have a choice.

Nah according to other posters its propaganda -- please dismiss McGinn's stuff since the naysayers have inside info.

run pMc
04-25-2013, 08:22 AM
I don't know if McGinn has a better inside source these days and we're getting the real scoop (they admit they're too soft, they're paranoid about injury now), or if he's just whipping the readership into a frenzy.

I think he's working the readers. These guys are all 300+ pounders not svelte greyhounds. Raji and Pickett play a lot of snaps and know how to prepare, and most people don't have high expectations for Jolly after 3 years out of football. If GB is going to take anyone with injuries off their board there won't be anyone left to draft. Football is a violent sport, duh. I go back and forth on McGinn...sometimes he's good, other times he's Chicken Little. This story about injuries is even crazier than his soft/small story.

As for Saine, I'm not too suprised there -- if Starks and Green are healthy, Harris got Saine's roster spot.

Smith was a surprise to me...I thought he could be a decent backup and play ST, and giving up on him after 2 years is unusually impatient...look at Harrell, Zombo or Sherrod in contrast. Smith had size and coverage limitations, but I think Brad Jones' big contract and Smith not being available for camps had more to do with his release. I don't think Smith played Hawk's position, which IIRC has different responsibilities, and if he's hurt he can't compete for Hawk's spot anyway.

D.J. Smith is not going to beat out Bishop or Jones -- TT is letting him go now to give him a chance to catch on somewhere.

denverYooper
04-25-2013, 09:44 AM
I think some of the new guys at Lombardi Avenue are friendlier to McGinn than the old guard. Highsmith is on Twitter a decent bit and they already have had to gag Eliot Wolf once for things he was talking about on his Twitter account.

We'll see if the new source is accurate as the last big prediction, Finley not being retained, failed to materialize.

Maybe their new strategy is misinformation rather than no information.

smuggler
04-25-2013, 09:45 AM
look at Harrell, Zombo or Sherrod in contrast.

Harrell and Sherry were both 1st rounders. Investing a 1st rounder dictates more patience, really.

Now, Zombo was a UDFA, but he also played a weaker position. At the time, we had Walden (eww) starting.

denverYooper
04-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Nah according to other posters its propaganda -- please dismiss McGinn's stuff since the naysayers have inside info.

The Packers clearly let DJ Smith go because they were concerned about Bob's spot-on size analysis.

denverYooper
04-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Harrell and Sherry were both 1st rounders. Investing a 1st rounder dictates more patience, really.

Now, Zombo was a UDFA, but he also played a weaker position. At the time, we had Walden (eww) starting.

That and they were (are) positions of need. They can afford to spend a little more time waiting for a planet-sized LTO to heal up.

rbaloha1
04-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Maybe their new strategy is misinformation rather than no information.

where is the misinformation?

rbaloha1
04-25-2013, 09:48 AM
The Packers clearly let DJ Smith go because they were concerned about Bob's spot-on size analysis.

which midgets do you like in the draft?

rbaloha1
04-25-2013, 09:50 AM

bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

pbmax
04-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Could it be that the $1 million in cap space (roughly) saved by these two is needed for Rodgers deal?

I know that two players will still need to be signed to take their spot on the 53, but is it possible that in the interim, that million dollars in space helps them do Rodgers and then buys them time to make a decision elsewhere (Raji)?

smuggler
04-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Cool story, bro.

MadScientist
04-25-2013, 11:27 AM
What isn't here is the context of their conditioning. They are big big guys, so they will likely get out of shape faster than smaller guys. The question is how are they compared to how they have been at the start of the off season workout programs in years past. As long as they are in the range where they can get themselves back into condition with reasonable training, everything should be fine. That doesn't mean that taking a NT with pick #26 is a bad idea. This is likely Pickett's last year, and even Raji too, given the amount of cap tied to Rodgers and Clay.

run pMc
04-25-2013, 12:42 PM
What isn't here is the context of their conditioning.

Agree. I don't think anyone expect these guys to be able to run down Kaepernick in the open field. It's April. They'll be in shape when TC starts.
If this was about Tramon or Nick Perry being out of shape then I'd worry.

Agree with posters who pointed out that mgmt was patient with Harrell and Sherrod because they were R1 picks...I'm hoping Sherrod can come back from that injury, but not holding my breath.
There's got to be more to the story of Smith being released than just for the cap space...the front office and coaching staff obviously know more and are ok moving on without him.

Let's say they know they are in love with Ogletree and somehow know for a fact that he'll be there at 26...would you feel sad if he was drafted and then they cut Smith?

wist43
04-25-2013, 01:10 PM
I liked Smith as a player... even though he is undersized.

We have to get bigger and faster at LB - we have Matthews, question marks, and pedestrian everything else. At least Zombo and Walden are gone - so that's progress. Hawk needs to be replaced next.

The front seven is just a colossal mess.

MadScientist
04-25-2013, 02:27 PM
There's got to be more to the story of Smith being released than just for the cap space...the front office and coaching staff obviously know more and are ok moving on without him.
Here's the quote from the agent:

“I can only tell you what they told us, and that’s they needed to create some space for things they thought was coming,” said Smith’s agent, Lamont Smith. “From our perspective, he was ahead of schedule. If you watched the rehab and the conditioning, he was running and lifting. It was curious to us what caused this.”

Cap space doesn't make a lot of sense, but roster space is limited. I suspect that he may have been released so an extra UDFA could be signed right away. This is supposed to be a strong UDFA year, and given TT's history with them, it makes sense to have more shots at finding the diamond in the rough.

The quote came from this article:
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage?odyssey=refresh

Smidgeon
04-25-2013, 04:09 PM
...aaaaaaand signed by the Chargers.

rbaloha1
04-25-2013, 04:17 PM
I liked Smith as a player... even though he is undersized.

We have to get bigger and faster at LB - we have Matthews, question marks, and pedestrian everything else. At least Zombo and Walden are gone - so that's progress. Hawk needs to be replaced next.

The front seven is just a colossal mess.

Yes, been saying this since the niner debacle. Get ready for the avalanche of denials.

pittstang5
04-25-2013, 05:00 PM
I got it! Smith and saine released because TT is going to trade for some big name tonight

Joemailman
04-26-2013, 10:34 PM
TT has 10 picks tomorrow. I think we know why Smith and Saine were released. They are going to need roster spots.