PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News Mock Draft - 7 Rounds

K-town
04-12-2006, 06:43 PM
The Sporting News Pro Football War Room Seven Round Mock Draft

Round 1

5 (5) Packers Haloti Ngata* DT Oregon
If the Packers can add Ngata to go along with ends Aaron Kampman and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and new defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, the team would have the beginnings of a formidable front. Ngata is extremely quick and will create havoc inside.

Round 2
4 (36) Packers Max Jean-Gilles G Georgia
Jean-Gilles plays with a mean streak and is an aggressive run blocker. He would be a high value pick for the Packers here.

Round 3
3 (67) Packers Alan Zemaitis CB Penn State

Round 4
7 (104) Packers Keith Ellison OLB Oregon St.

Round 5
6 (139) Packers Charles Bennett DE Clemson

32 (165) Packers Kellen Clemens QB Oregon

Round 7
45 (253) Packers Jeremy Bloom* WR Colorado

I like what I've heard about Kellen Clemens (OregonPackFan would no more, obvioiusly), and Jeremy Bloom as a kick returner sounds good.
HATE Ngata at number 5 (Sporting News has us taking him instead of Hawk and/or with Vince Young; Mario, D'Brick and Leinart all off the board).
If you all want, I will post War Room profiles of some of the later round picks.

Partial
04-12-2006, 07:23 PM
I don't like the first two picks because the guard doesn't fit the scheme where as they could get the better fit in davin joseph and an extra third by trading down.

I don't like Ngata at 5. I like Hawk.

Bretsky
04-12-2006, 08:08 PM
If they draft Ngata I'll be as sick as hearing Aaron Rodgers name called last year. Even Oregonpackfan thinks he's lazy.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Hgata would be an absolute joke at #5, if they really wanted Ngata they could trade down at leas 4 spots and still get him.

woodbuck27
04-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Wow ! I went to sleep after the first pick.

Not very good.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 01:06 AM
I agree with the sentiments stated here. I think it's a very real possibility that Bunkley goes before Ngata. Giles doesn't fit the scheme. Joseph would be a better choice for the Pack.

woodbuck27
04-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Round 7
45 (253) Packers Jeremy Bloom* WR Colorado

Something I found on Jeremy Bloom:

BLOOM BUZZ BUILDING

Although he hasn't played football for two seasons, former Colorado receiver/kick-punt returner Jeremy Bloom seems to be building a buzz as the draft approaches.

Making the rounds this week is a DVD of various Bloom highlights. The disc is being circulated by his agent, Gary Wichard, who is known to be a relentless promoter of his clients. (In the interests of full disclosure, Wichard also represents Redskins safety Adam Archuleta, who purchased ad space from us this month for his training video.)

The Bloom DVD, which we reviewed on Wednesday, begins with footage of the moguls skier smoking Will Allen, Ahman Green, and various others in the 100-yard dash during a past CBS Superstars competition. Then, there's footage of Bloom's recent pro day workout, including his 19 reps in the 225-pound bench, multiple examples of very crisp route running, and some impressive ball skills while receiving punts.

The DVD culminates with clips from Bloom's two-year career with the Buffaloes, which featured a touchdown in his first punt return. The thing that caught our attention was that, when he broke toward the sideline he instinctively switched the ball from his left hand to his right hand. There are guys who have been playing for years in the NFL who still fail to move the ball to the outside arm, which increases the likelihood that a fumble will land out of bounds before it can be recovered by the opposing team.

Still, the knock on Bloom is that he has played only two years of college ball, and that he allowed his skiing career -- and the endorsement opportunities flowing therefrom -- to wipe out his remaining NCAA eligibility. This naturally causes some of the old-school scouts to question whether Bloom is fully committed to football.

Some folks (including us) have bashed his stats. But, as it turns out, his numbers compare very favorably to the first two years of Sinorice Moss's career. In 2002, Moss had three catches for 30 yards and no touchdowns. In 2002, Bloom had two catches for 102 yards and one touchdown.

In 2003, Moss had eight receptions for 111 yards and no touchdowns. In 2003, Bloom had 22 catches for 356 yards and one score.

In his two final seasons at Miami, Moss didn't generate dominant statistics, with 20 receptions in 2004 and 37 catches in 2005. Moss averaged less than 500 yards receiving in those two years.

And while Moss has the pedigree (his big brother is Santana of the Redskins), Sinorice doesn't have much experience at all in the return game. How, then, is a guy didn't do it in college presumed by everyone to be a natural at it in the NFL?

We're not raising these points as a knock on Moss. But it seems that the gap between Moss and Bloom might not be as great as previously envisioned.

We're also not suggesting that Bloom will or should be drafted at or about the same time Moss comes off of the board. But it's looking to us like Bloom will most likely be targeted by someone in the back half of round three. Then the question becomes whether a chess match unfolds between two or more teams that might nudge higher up into the round in order to get him.

Hell, at this point we don't rule out Bloom being taken at the bottom of round two. And we can think of at least one franchise holding a pick in that ballpark that needs a return man who can be groomed into a pass-catcher.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 04:39 PM
I think he'll get taken too high. He'll be a good punt returner, but I doubt he'll ever be much of a receiver. I wouldn't take a punt returner any higher than the 6th round.