PDA

View Full Version : With the 22nd Selection in 95 Draft Packers Select Rashaan Salaam

pbmax
04-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Ron Wolf tells a bald faced lie to the press.

http://gnb.scout.com/2/1286862.html

RashanGary
04-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Cool

Guiness
04-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Don't quite get it, of course. Why lie about a player you were considering? From the article

A GM’s job is not to provide the media with even the slightest detail that might undermine the franchise.

I don't quite see how saying you looked at a player and were interested in them can hurt your franchise.

pbmax
04-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Don't quite get it, of course. Why lie about a player you were considering? From the article

I don't quite see how saying you looked at a player and were interested in them can hurt your franchise.

I think the thinking is this:

1) Admitting the player you had targeted got snatched up feeds into the common fan feeling that you need to "do" something more to get those players. Remember all the "Ted NEVER trade up ..." comments and articles? Those were born of thinking that trading up is always an option and just requires guts and aggressiveness and never needs to be evaluated for value.

2) You set up the players to be compared forever. Might not play to your favor early even if it works out in the end.

3) Telling teams what you were targeting gives them clues about your process.

4) It sends a signal to the roster about who is in jeopardy. In some cases it might be warranted, in others it might be counter-productive.

Smeefers
04-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Wow, good story. Repped for the find.