10 Yrd Dash: 1.61
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 29
Vertical Jump: 31 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.32
3-Cone Drill: 7.32

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsb5fGAdsK8

National Football Post:

STRENGTHS - Jones has the ideal height, weight and frame for a 5-technique DE, and displays excellent quickness off the ball. He is very proficient and violent with his hands, which allows him to beat blockers with a variety of rips and swims. He also displays good short area quickness on stunts and spin moves, and at times appears un-blockable when his motor runs hot. He does a good job of sniffing out screens early and fighting off cut blocks with his hands.

WEAKNESSES - Jones lacks the speed to be an edge rusher, and struggles to consistently finish and close once out in space. At times, he appears to take plays off, content to let blockers tie him up at the LOS and drive or seal him off the ball when he is clearly physically capable of controlling the LOS. When he gets too high off the snap, he limits his COD ability and makes himself an easy target for blockers.

SUMMARY - Datone Jones was a frustrating player to evaluate at times because he has the physical gifts to be a dominant interior lineman against both the run and pass, but does not give consistent effort on every down. He displays excellent instincts off the snap, which allows him to penetrate interior gaps and wreak havoc into the backfield. He clearly possesses the natural strength to control and shed blockers at the LOS, but too often stands up at the snap and allows his man to get into his framework and dictate at the POA. His versatility will attract both 34 and 43 teams, but he is a natural fit at DE in a 34 and in a 43 could excel at LDE on run downs and slide inside to rush the passer on 3rd down. While his hot and cold motor is a concern, the reality is that he has the talent to be an impact player in the NFL, which is why I would use a first round pick to select him.

CBS Sports:

STRENGTHS: Well-built athlete with long arms and good strength, throughout. Flashes an explosive initial burst off the snap to penetrate gaps. Uses his hands well at the snap to rip free from blocks, showing a variety of pass rush techniques (swim, rip, club), as well as enough power to simply bull over offensive linemen into the backfield.

Keeps his head up and locates the football quickly, showing good awareness and effort in pursuit. Has the upper-body strength to lock-out opponents and seal the edge. Stout enough to slide inside to defensive tackle, especially on obvious pass rush downs. Enjoyed a breakout senior campaign and may be just scratching the surface of his potential.

WEAKNESSES: A classic 'tweener who until his senior season hadn't ever lived up to expectations. Lacks the sustained speed and flexibility to turn the corner as a traditional 4-3 defensive end. Lacks the bulk to handle full-time duties as a traditional defensive tackle. Has a tendency to stand up as he comes off the ball, losing out on the leverage battle. Uses his hands well initially but tires quickly and struggles to disengage once his opponent has locked on.

COMPARES TO: Robert Ayers, DE, Denver Broncos -- Like Ayers, Jones has flashed talent throughout his collegiate career but has been racked with inconsistency. His versatility and big senior season could push a team to gamble on his upside early.

ESPN:

What he brings: Jones blew up at the Senior Bowl and has risen quickly since then. He is a little light, but he plays with leverage and has very active hands. He can win with first-step quickness in the run game and disrupt in the backfield, but Jones must play with better pad level as a pass-rusher. However, he flashes the quickness to win inside and outside as a pass-rusher. How he fits: The Packers really need physical defense ends in this base 3-4 front to set the edge against the run. It seems as if they are playing more nickel and dime schemes with four-man fronts. That requires a player with versatility. Jones is a natural fit at defensive end in the 3-4 and would probably move inside in the four-man front as that one-gap penetrator that they really like. With defensive linemen Ryan Pickett and B.J. Raji in the last year of their contracts, and inconsistency and injury concerns behind them, this unit needs that depth and versatility that Jones brings.

Overall Football Traits:
Production 2 2008: (10/2) 15-0-0 2009: (13/13) 30-11-42010: Medical redshirt 2011: (14/14) 41-6.5-3 2012: (14/14) 62-19-6.5 Career: 5 PBU, 4 FF, 1 FR

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Adequate height and good bulk for a versatile DE. Has a strong, muscular build. Ran a fast 10-yard split (1.56) but below average 40-yard dash (4.80) at the combine. Has good-sized hands (10') but shorter-than-ideal arms (32.6).

Durability 3 Took a medical redshirt year in 2010 due to a broken right foot injury suffered in summer camp. Had surgery to insert a screw that now holds together his fifth metatarsal. Returned in 2011 and started all 28 games during last two seasons at UCLA.

Intangibles 1 High marks in regards to football character and work ethic. No significant off the field issues to our knowledge. Has a good working knowledge of NFL teams and their schemes. Shows great passion for the game. Gives great effort in the weight room and studying tape. Parents are Shondra Hall and Anthony Jones. Has four sisters and one brother. Grew up in Compton, CA.

Defensive End Specific Traits:
Pass Rush Skills 2 Good snap anticipation and initial quickness. Shows ability to consistently penetrate as an inside pass rusher. Also very effective speed-to-power moves as an outside rusher. Relentless in pursuit. Shows good closing burst and explodes through the quarterback when he has a clean shot. Only average lateral agility and athletic ability for LDE. Has a little bit of tightness in torso when bending the edge. Can struggle to be effective when reached. Has quick hands and flashes some violence, but has shorter arms and will struggle to get off of blocks if he doesn't win with initial move.

Versus the run 3 Has a thick trunk. Can set the edge. Quick first step. Quick and violent hands. Does a very good job of locating the ball, disengaging and pursuing. Will make a lot of plays when working down the line and pursuing from behind. Strong upper body (29 reps on bench). However, anchoring versus the run is not his strength when playing inside (as a five-technique in 3-4 scheme).

Versatility 2 Played 5-technique and shade NT in UCLA's three-man front in 2012. Needs to be used properly because he does have some tweener traits. Most effective rushing the QB from the inside but can provide pressure from the edge, as well. As a run defender, his best fit is LDE in 4-3 scheme. Would need to add bulk to frame in order to play three-technique in the NFL and don't think he fits very well as a two-gapping five-technique, so would only fit as a 3-4 DE if scheme calls for one-gapping five-technique.

Instincts/Motor 2 Above average motor. Chases plays all over the field. Rarely 'dogs' it. But see too many times on tape where he elects to become a shot blocker when OL get in position and lock out. Shows good overall toughness.

Carolina_Packer
04-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Here are some nice Datone Jones videos from Packers.com

Video 1 (http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Goodell_announces_Packers_pick_Datone_Jones/7389fa77-223f-4bb6-89c3-c73a7a28ae0b) (Jones gets picked by the Pack)

Video 2 (http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/DE_Datone_Jones_wants_to_face_offense_every_play/d7bab4fc-651e-470f-a383-59fed146c450) (Jones speaks at the Combine)

Video 3 (http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/2013_Draft_profile_DE_Datone_Jones_UCLA/a78b592b-4ee2-44dd-b0c9-ad077a07963c) (NFL.com overview of Jones)

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2013, 12:06 AM
I take some of these with a grain of salt, but it's draft day, so it's time to talk up our guy.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/24/4255900/nfl-draft-2013-scouting-reports-datone-jones-jesse-williams-jj-watt-justin-smith

Now, that said, let's make some comparisons. If there's one player in this year's Draft that has a similar style as Watt and may play a similar role as Watt in the NFL, it's UCLA's Datone Jones.

Both Kiper and McShay loves Jones and say he's underrated. (Both Kiper and McShay also says Xavier Rhodes is overrated. Sounds like a bad fit for the Vikings defense.)

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9182206

"Most dominant player every single day at the Senior Bowl."

Steelers fan loves him some Datone Jones.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/1/24/3908162/nfl-draft-2013-film-analysis-player-profile-defensive-end-datone-jones

Jones is an incredible prospect who is getting better every day. While he was an average pass rusher in college, so far at the senior bowl he has shown an exceptional pass rushing ability, dominating every single tackle at the bowl. If he can continue to improve and add strength, he could be the next big thing at 3-4 defensive end. He has all the tools needed to dominate the position and combines them with a great work ethic and a motor that never stops. He is one of my favorite prospects in the draft and will be in the top 50 of my prospect rankings that will come out next week. He is a rapid riser and could be in top 20 consideration by the time the draft rolls around.

smuggler
04-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Seems like he's a little shy in his interview, but I like his focus. Seems like maybe a better #1 pick than Perry last year, but 20/20 hindsight - I know.

As for Rhodes, he's big and can play bump man coverage well, but could really struggle in zone. Only time will tell.

RashanGary
04-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Capers

Good length
Can play DE and sub packages
Athletic player, basketball background
HIgh character, good work ethic
Watching him play, easy to project him in our defense

Athletic and long. Moves with ease, gives us inside rush
Can play DE in the 3-4
Can play the run and pass inside

Important to have some length at DE, was appealing
Big frame, very lean guy, natural progression, he'll be able to put on weight

Always felt liked versatile guys who can play all 3 downs, he can do that

Like to have as much speed as you can, the way offenses are headed, you're going to be spread out, more of a space game. Anytime you cover space, the faster the better.

Comparing Sly Williams to Jones. Williams is bigger. Jones is longer, and with that can play more positions.

Can stem him outside. Move him from being over a guard, to being out in space. More flexibility because you can move him around, like they do with Clay, they like to stem Clay inside. Helps to have a guy who can move outside when Clay moves inside.

Had good interview at combine, good guy, good character, work ethic.

Taller than Cullen, but similar strengths to Cullen, can move around. Can play at times like a big linebacker. You like the basketball background, able to move around.

rbaloha1
04-26-2013, 12:17 AM
One gapper that needs to add more bulk. Good athlete that can penetrate and cause havoc.

Played for a coach that preached toughness. Experienced against option football.

Like the pick.

It is going to be interesting to watch him line-up against nfl tackles.

woodbuck27
04-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Seems like he's a little shy in his interview, but I like his focus. Seems like maybe a better #1 pick than Perry last year, but 20/20 hindsight - I know.

As for Rhodes, he's big and can play bump man coverage well, but could really struggle in zone. Only time will tell.

Mike Mayock had Dee Millner (NY Jets) Grade 93.2 as his #2 CB to someone? Those words from him ... a bit stunning. Nope ! Mayock's been dead wrong before. ie last years draft and Vontaze Burfict >>> The Bengals.

Xavier Rhodes GR. 86.2 and DJ Hayden (Oakland Raiders) GR. 85.1 are next. Then it's now.. the Atlanta Falcons Desmond Trufant at Gr. 84.1.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
04-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Mike Mayock had Dee Millner (NY Jets) Grade 93.2 as his #2 CB to someone? Those words from him ... a bit stunning. Nope ! Mayock's been dead wrong before. ie last years draft and Vontaze Burfict >>> The Bengals.

Xavier Rhodes GR. 86.2 and DJ Hayden (Oakland Raiders) GR. 85.1 are next. Then it's now.. the Atlanta Falcons Desmond Trufant at Gr. 84.1.

PACKERS !

I just saw this:

Maybe it answers my ? RE: Mayock and rating CB:

RE: Pick Analysis: "He's a long, powerful corner." -- Mike Mayock >>> Reacts to >>>

Xavier Rhodes >>> Vikings

smuggler
04-26-2013, 12:40 AM
DJ Hayden would have been the highest ranked CB except he broke his leg (think the NCAA basketball toruney injury) in a practice and that red flag had him ranked lower on a lot of boards. Frankly, Milliner also had injuries (more of them), but they weren't as severe. I feel something like having a guy take out your shin by falling on it falls into the 'freak accident' category, and you shouldn't be labeled as 'injury prone' because of it.

However, I don't know if a label was the reason that Milliner was able to leapfrog him. It was the sheer catastrophic nature of that injury that suppressed his draft stock. Seems he made a near-full recovery as he ran a 4.33 40 and looked very agile in his pro day as well.

RashanGary
04-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Haha, looked at some clips. He's a fuckin beast. Can't wait.

RashanGary
04-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Love the pick. This guy is a stud.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2013, 01:01 AM
I'm actually relatively excited about the young talent on the defense. We'll need some things to fall into place, but if they do, this could be a good defense. I think it's going to come down to Perry and Jones being as good as I think they can be. Bishop returning healthy and McMillan or somebody from this draft stepping up at safety would be helpful.

rbaloha1
04-26-2013, 01:05 AM
I'm actually relatively excited about the young talent on the defense. We'll need some things to fall into place, but if they do, this could be a good defense. I think it's going to come down to Perry and Jones being as good as I think they can be. Bishop returning healthy and McMillan or somebody from this draft stepping up at safety would be helpful.

some pieces are there. we need a big banging safety not one that just plays center field.

mayock mentioned that in the nfl there is no strong or free safeties -- must be multi dimensional

RashanGary
04-26-2013, 01:28 AM
I get what Mayock is saying. Years ago, there were your Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater, Chuck Cecil type players. Now you need guys that are more versatile.

I do think you need at least one true rangy FS type though. Every team in the NFL, at times, wants to play with one safety deep. You need at least one guy who can go sideline to sideline in that look. We have exactly zero of those. I think we need a true FS. Unfortunately, the way things work in the NFL, he also has to be a hellofa tackler too. Not easy to find.

We badly miss Nick Collins. I've become a big fan of Dashon Gholston. Reid might turn into a hellofa player, but the guy they had was a probowler in his prime. As bad as we miss Collins, I sort of hope SF misses their guy just as much.

wist43
04-26-2013, 01:32 AM
I like Jones when he decides to play - from the write-up that 3irty1 posted:

"Jones lacks the speed to be an edge rusher, and struggles to consistently finish and close once out in space. At times, he appears to take plays off, content to let blockers tie him up at the LOS and drive or seal him off the ball when he is clearly physically capable of controlling the LOS. When he gets too high off the snap, he limits his COD ability and makes himself an easy target for blockers...

"Datone Jones was a frustrating player to evaluate at times because he has the physical gifts to be a dominant interior lineman against both the run and pass, but does not give consistent effort on every down."

That's what I saw when I was watching film of him. Lot's to like if you watch his highlight reel - lot's to be afraid of if you watch him playing lazy. His blase', slow waltz, lack of effort act scared me off of him.

That said, I figured TT was going to zero in on this guy. He's got some length, long arms, strong hands, and can hold the point very effectively - when he's interested apparently.

The guy has tools, that's for sure, but I don't trust this pick at all.

woodbuck27
04-26-2013, 01:33 AM
DJ Hayden would have been the highest ranked CB except he broke his leg (think the NCAA basketball toruney injury) in a practice and that red flag had him ranked lower on a lot of boards. Frankly, Milliner also had injuries (more of them), but they weren't as severe. I feel something like having a guy take out your shin by falling on it falls into the 'freak accident' category, and you shouldn't be labeled as 'injury prone' because of it.

However, I don't know if a label was the reason that Milliner was able to leapfrog him. It was the sheer catastrophic nature of that injury that suppressed his draft stock. Seems he made a near-full recovery as he ran a 4.33 40 and looked very agile in his pro day as well.

Mike Mayock is very strong on DJ Hayden. He didn't say good CB...he used the 'GREAT' word.

He'll be a good watch.

PACKERS !

smuggler
04-26-2013, 01:34 AM
I hope adding the extra 20# doesn't mess with his game. If we could actually get some DL talent to stay healthy, we could control everyone's (Raji specifically) snap counts and the "taking plays off" thing would take care of itself.

RashanGary
04-26-2013, 01:39 AM
Awe, shit, Wist. . . How many 6'4" 283lb DL come into the league every year who can hand fight with lineman well. Most guys make a living at that age on pure athleticism, jumping snaps and getting quick penetration. This guy has some skill on top of his raw talent. And every DL (NFL or otherwise) looks hot and cold. They're going against some bad-ass OL. Sometimes they just get stopped. At the end of Clifton's prime (and the beginning of Jared Allen's prime) there were a couple games where Jared Allen looked like CJ Wilson. DL don't win every battle and sometimes the OL just make them look bad, even if they're great. In the case of Jared Allen, I remember games where he looked bad from start to finish. And he's never been bad. Getting two pressures and one sack per game is all-pro.

I'm not a big fan of reading into the, looks great some plays, gets stopped others, thing. I think that's the nature of the game.

Justin Smith came into the league as a 6'4" 264 pound 4-3 DE. . . This kid we got has both talent (size/athleticism) and skill. And he wants to work, he wants to be great. . . . I just don't see him as a scary pick. Nick Perry now, that's another story. To me, that's a scary pick.

wist43
04-26-2013, 01:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8IB-0TktD8

I thought Jones looked okay here against USC. Got turned out of the hole a few times... won't get easier in the NFL.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Scouts contradict each other all of the time. The report wist posted said that he takes plays off--while most reports that I've read is that he's tenacious as hell and doesn't take many plays off. Who knows really, but you can get negative on any player. Scouts are good at covering their asses. When I watch his video, he passes the "smell test." He looks like what you want out of a 3-4 DE prospect. I wonder what Clay Matthews bio read.

wist43
04-26-2013, 01:58 AM
Awe, shit, Wist. . . How many 6'4" 283lb DL come into the league every year who can hand fight with lineman well. Most guys make a living at that age on pure athleticism, jumping snaps and getting quick penetration. This guy has some skill on top of his raw talent. And every DL (NFL or otherwise) looks hot and cold. They're going against some bad-ass OL. Sometimes they just get stopped. At the end of Clifton's prime (and the beginning of Jared Allen's prime) there were a couple games where Jared Allen looked like CJ Wilson. DL don't win every battle and sometimes the OL just make them look bad, even if they're great. In the case of Jared Allen, I remember games where he looked bad from start to finish. And he's never been bad. Getting two pressures and one sack per game is all-pro.

I'm not a big fan of reading into the, looks great some plays, gets stopped others, thing. I think that's the nature of the game.

Justin Smith came into the league as a 6'4" 264 pound 4-3 DE. . . This kid we got has both talent (size/athleticism) and skill. And he wants to work, he wants to be great. . . . I just don't see him as a scary pick. Nick Perry now, that's another story. To me, that's a scary pick.

Justin Smith is just a badass son of a bitch... I don't get too hung up on size.

As for giving up the edge - sorry, that is not acceptable. Justin Smith would never allow himself to be turned and ridden out of a play the way I see Jones sometimes.

As it said in the write up 3irth1 posted - I didn't write that. Jones does, in fact, have a bit of a history of 'playing down to the competition'. I probably watched more film of Jones than I did anyone else, it was enough to scare me off him. I like his ability, but I'm not sure what we're getting.

wist43
04-26-2013, 02:00 AM
Scouts contradict each other all of the time. The report wist posted said that he takes plays off--while most reports that I've read is that he's tenacious as hell and doesn't take many plays off. Who knows really, but you can get negative on any player. Scouts are good at covering their asses. When I watch his video, he passes the "smell test." He looks like what you want out of a 3-4 DE prospect. I wonder what Clay Matthews bio read.

I didn't post that - 3irty1 did. I was just quoting it.

I agree with the write up though.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2013, 02:01 AM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/profile/justin_smith.html

Justin Smith draft bio (Hard to believe he's almost 34 years old)

Negatives... Too pass rush conscious, which causes him to slowly diagnose the running plays directed at him...Gets sealed off some when trying to display inside counter moves... Dips his shoulder when trying to move laterally, slowing down his agility...Strikes under control, but frequently grabs at ball carriers in run support, rather than wrapping them... Has a hard time disengaging from double coverage and can be controlled when attempting to shoot the inside gaps.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2013, 02:03 AM
Universal praise--which means diddly squat.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/204804611.html

wootah
04-26-2013, 02:08 AM
I looked up the Senior Bowl practice reports of nfldraftcountdown [ http://draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/Senior-Bowl.php ] and these are the excerpts which mention Jones.

Monday:
For a lot of the practice the North team had the offensive linemen and defensive linemen battling in one-on-ones. The defensive linemen that really stood out the most were Texas defensive end Alex Oakfor, Purdue defensive tackle Kawann Short, UCLA tackle/end Datone Jones and Penn State defensive tackle Jordan Hill. All had excellent practices.

Tuesday:
DE Datone Jones played inside and outside today. Dipped past Hugh Thornton on an inside move from the DT position. Was also the only player to beat Eric Fisher off the egde today. Solid day and Jones showed some good physicality when playing inside.

Wednesday:
UCLA DE Datone Jones has at the very least solidified his status as a second or third round pick this week and has probably moved up most draft boards. An impressive physical specimen who profiles as either a left defensive end in an odd front or a five-technique in an odd front, Jones won his one-on-one battles by utilizing an array of different methods including a spin move and edge rush.

Thursday:
UCLA DE Datone Jones is expected to be either a base end or five technique in the NFL but I was surprised by how well he performed in the linebacker drills. Now Jones wasn’t the best of the group but he was far from the worst and did a solid job overall, especially for a guy who is 280 pounds. I doubt Jones will ever be a full-time linebacker at the next level but it may not be as absurd of an idea as once thought.

RashanGary
04-26-2013, 02:13 AM
I watched that full game of Jones above. I don't think he took any plays off. There were times where his job at center was to make sure he didn't vacate the middle of the field, and sort of kept his eyes open for anything developing in the flat. I guess you could see that as him taking a play off, but I see it as him having a different responsibility. Saying a guy "takes a play off" is awful hard when you don't know what he's being asked to do. I thought he looked competitive, quick, fast and strong in that tape. He got pushed out a couple times (twice on double teams, at least once I remember by the RT) We're not drafting Ryan Pickett here. We're drafting a guy who's being asked to play the run and the pass.

He's already competitive with his hands at age 22. He's only going to get better. He's the most polished DL we've drafted since TT has been here, and that includes Raji. Raji had moments where he dominated, but he didn't come out with hands like this guy has. Mike Daniels was polished too, but not nearly the athlete.

wist43
04-26-2013, 02:21 AM
I watched that full game of Jones above. I don't think he took any plays off. There were times where his job at center was to make sure he didn't vacate the middle of the field, and sort of kept his eyes open for anything developing in the flat. I guess you could see that as him taking a play off, but I see it as him having a different responsibility. Saying a guy "takes a play off" is awful hard when you don't know what he's being asked to do. I thought he looked competitive, quick, fast and strong in that tape. He got pushed out a couple times (twice on double teams, at least once I remember by the RT) We're not drafting Ryan Pickett here. We're drafting a guy who's being asked to play the run and the pass.

He's already competitive with his hands at age 22. He's only going to get better. He's the most polished DL we've drafted since TT has been here, and that includes Raji. Raji had moments where he dominated, but he didn't come out with hands like this guy has. Mike Daniels was polished too, but not nearly the athlete.

I said he looked good in that game.

RashanGary
04-26-2013, 02:32 AM
I like this pick a lot. It's my favorite 1st round pick since BJ Raji. I hated the Clay Matthews pick, thought he should have been starting if he was a good player at USC. The Bulaga pick was good, but it didn't get me excited. I didn't like the Sherrod pick at all, thought he was a project. Nick Perry I started hating as soon as I saw him attempt to cover in the preseason.

This guy looks good, right now. He's going to get beat, especially early in his career. All DL do. But he has a feel for fighting in the trenches and has some WOW athletic ability. Just off the bat, looking at some of the drills and things they show online, I think he looks better in space than Nick Perry. Capers talked about liking to give Clay opportunities to attack inside. This guy opens up that playbook because he can switch spots with Clay and not get shredded even if he's asked to play in space.

RashanGary
04-26-2013, 02:36 AM
This pick makes me hate the Nick Perry pick even more. We could have the RB, Doug Martin or the S Harrison Smith. Instead we have a pudgy OLB who covers like a DT. The DE we just drafted looks more fluid and natural in space than the OLB we drafted last year. On top of that, Perry is a big dummy and didn't want to be here. Makes me sick.

wist43
04-26-2013, 02:37 AM
We needed a DE, we still need a NT - I've got my fingers crossed for Brandon Williams.

My take with Jones is somewhat similar to TT's draft last year. I do like Jones's talent; he has ability; and I do see him as a much more natural 5 than Raji. But as with Worthy... what player are we getting?? To me, there were enough red flags with Jones that I had crossed him off my wish list - conceding that he would likely be TT's pick if he were still on the board. If Jones was all that, he would have been a top 10 pick. He dropped to 26, and many had him rated lower than that, for a reason.

Truth be told, I was hoping someone would snag him before our pick, and that we'd trade out of the 1st round. But alas, Jones is a Packer, and I hope the flashes of good play are a glimpse of what he can do consistently on the next level.

wist43
04-26-2013, 02:46 AM
Universal praise--which means diddly squat.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/204804611.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpjCaXaPm1A

Here's the Senior Bowl practice.

RashanGary
04-26-2013, 02:59 AM
Eric Fisher sure makes you wish we weren't starting Marshall Newhouse :) :) look at that guy's combination of power and movement. Yikes.

RashanGary
04-26-2013, 03:14 AM
Your guy, Brandon Williams, looks pretty good, Wist.

wist43
04-26-2013, 03:47 AM
Your guy, Brandon Williams, looks pretty good, Wist.

He's a little short of 6'2", 341 lbs. He's a load, but he's also got excellent movement skills for a man his size. I want to plop him down at NT, and let him eat guards, centers, and snaps.

At least TT seems to recognize how desperate our DL situation is.

Fritz
04-26-2013, 06:32 AM
He's a little short of 6'2", 341 lbs. He's a load, but he's also got excellent movement skills for a man his size. I want to plop him down at NT, and let him eat guards, centers, and snaps.

At least TT seems to recognize how desperate our DL situation is.

I too would like to see TT draft a big man to anchor the middle, but I am hoping that guy can be found in the fourth or fifth round. But I would not complain if your man B Will was a GB pick.

3irty1
04-26-2013, 06:41 AM
This pick makes me hate the Nick Perry pick even more. We could have the RB, Doug Martin or the S Harrison Smith. Instead we have a pudgy OLB who covers like a DT. The DE we just drafted looks more fluid and natural in space than the OLB we drafted last year. On top of that, Perry is a big dummy and didn't want to be here. Makes me sick.

That pudgy OLB is a physical freak. He's exactly what is needed to take the defense to the next level.

3irty1
04-26-2013, 06:46 AM
As for Jones, I like the player and don't understand the fit yet. I'll be interested to see how and where he gets used.

Fritz
04-26-2013, 06:49 AM
I don't understand the hating on Jones after all the talk about how the Packers had the wrong-sized guys for the 3-4 front. He's the classic 3-4 DE size.

It could be fun if these bastards all stay healthy - Neal, Perry, and now Jones in the mix all year long could provide some energy, some burst, to this team.

I had like Sylvester Williams, but as I look at his height and weight, adding him to the mix would be adding another heavier/shorter guy like Worthy. So I understand going in a different direction and getting the classic sized DE.

All day long yesterday I was bummed about what McGinn wrote about how out-of-shape Raji, Pickett, and Jolly were at the conditioning stuff that just went down last week or so. But later I began to wonder: did McGinn or any reporter actually see these guys conditioning and reporting out of shape, or were the reporters given those descriptions by a "source"?

Anyone know?

denverYooper
04-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Doug Farrar weighs in: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/green-bay-packers-select-ucla-dl-datone-jones-030858991--nfl.html

What he brings to the team: The return of a Cullen Jenkins-type player, which the Packers have been missing since Jenkins went to the Eagles. Because Jones has the legitimate ability to play as a penetrating defensive tackle and run-stopping defensive end, and potential to play as an end in certain 3-4 and 5-2 fronts, Jones provides optimal value in Dom Capers' defense.

"I feel like the game is changing," Jones said at the combine. "There’s more versatile defensive linemen in today’s game. You don’t really see every-down defensive linemen now. You see a guy who plays first and second down, then goes and sits down. Then another pass-rush specialist comes in on third down and takes his spot. I want to be a guy who can play every down."

The tape shows, quite conclusively, that he's already doing it

Was it the right pick? Perfect fit -- this is a lock for both player and team. Jones is set up to excel as a potential Defensive Rookie of the Year level.

Bretsky
04-26-2013, 07:26 AM
I like Jones when he decides to play - from the write-up that 3irty1 posted:

"Jones lacks the speed to be an edge rusher, and struggles to consistently finish and close once out in space. At times, he appears to take plays off, content to let blockers tie him up at the LOS and drive or seal him off the ball when he is clearly physically capable of controlling the LOS. When he gets too high off the snap, he limits his COD ability and makes himself an easy target for blockers...

"Datone Jones was a frustrating player to evaluate at times because he has the physical gifts to be a dominant interior lineman against both the run and pass, but does not give consistent effort on every down."

That's what I saw when I was watching film of him. Lot's to like if you watch his highlight reel - lot's to be afraid of if you watch him playing lazy. His blase', slow waltz, lack of effort act scared me off of him.

That said, I figured TT was going to zero in on this guy. He's got some length, long arms, strong hands, and can hold the point very effectively - when he's interested apparently.

The guy has tools, that's for sure, but I don't trust this pick at all.

Lots of great writups on ths guy wist; why you choosing the negative slant ? This pick was a no brainer

Bretsky
04-26-2013, 07:29 AM

AGREE

wootah
04-26-2013, 07:37 AM
If Jones was all that, he would have been a top 10 pick.

The best players on our roster were selected 24th & 26th.

Joemailman
04-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Lots of great writups on ths guy wist; why you choosing the negative slant ? This pick was a no brainer

Asking Wist "Why the negative slant?" is like asking Santa Claus on Christmas Eve "Why the sleigh filled with presents?" It's what he does. ;-)

Watching the video of their USC game, I sure didn't see Jones taking plays off. And he didn't take plays off during Senior Bowl week when he was reportedly the only guy to get the best of Eric Fisher. Maybe he took some plays off against some of UCLA's lesser opponents. I don't know. In the NFL though, you're facing top competition every week, so I don't think that playing down to the competition will be a big problem.

3irty1
04-26-2013, 07:45 AM
We needed a DE, we still need a NT - I've got my fingers crossed for Brandon Williams.

My take with Jones is somewhat similar to TT's draft last year. I do like Jones's talent; he has ability; and I do see him as a much more natural 5 than Raji. But as with Worthy... what player are we getting?? To me, there were enough red flags with Jones that I had crossed him off my wish list - conceding that he would likely be TT's pick if he were still on the board. If Jones was all that, he would have been a top 10 pick. He dropped to 26, and many had him rated lower than that, for a reason.

Truth be told, I was hoping someone would snag him before our pick, and that we'd trade out of the 1st round. But alas, Jones is a Packer, and I hope the flashes of good play are a glimpse of what he can do consistently on the next level.

I think some of the hot/cold will disappear once he's playing with the big boys and competing for opportunity. His motor was going full force during the whole senior bowl week. A bunch of those OL picked at the top all got beaten one on one by Jones and that's the kind of thing we'd both love to see for our 2-gap scheme. He also seems like a pure 5-tech which isn't a thing in a 2-4. So hopefully this is a bit of evidence that we'll be moving away from the 2-4 as a run defense. I suspected that would and should die with the loss of Woodson but you might have something to celebrate as the biggest detractor of it in all of Packerland. Don't panic, what you're experiencing is just your brain releasing serotonin for the first time but its totally normal. If your face feels funny its probably just your atrophy-ridden muscles trying to smile. This is what happiness feels like.

Fritz
04-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Asking Wist "Why the negative slant?" is like asking Santa Claus on Christmas Eve "Why the sleigh filled with presents?" It's what he does. ;-)

Watching the video of their USC game, I sure didn't see Jones taking plays off. And he didn't take plays off during Senior Bowl week when he was reportedly the only guy to get the best of Eric Fisher. Maybe he took some plays off against some of UCLA's lesser opponents. I don't know. In the NFL though, you're facing top competition every week, so I don't think that playing down to the competition will be a big problem.

One positive note for me was that Thompson indicated he had an opportunity or two to move down but decided not to. This suggests that A) the offers were lousy, or B) Thompson didn't want to lose out on Jones.

So I'm going with "B" and am going to think Ted really liked this pick.

I feel about this one better than Nick Perry last year, but not quite like Bulaga, which was a total no-brainer.

run pMc
04-26-2013, 08:05 AM
Assuming he's any good, he'll play 5-tech DE and some snaps as an inside rusher. Jones should help the defense.
I like the pick, but I'm not wowed by it. It feels like a bit of a no-brainer to me...they didn't have a classic 3-4 DE on the roster and Jones is the closest thing to that.

DJ Hayden would have been the highest ranked CB except he broke his leg
IIRC Hayden was the guy who tore his artery and almost died...didn't hear about a leg injury. Some were saying he's the best CB in the draft but the deal with his heart probably took him off some team's boards.

Fritz
04-26-2013, 08:11 AM
I agree. I like the pick okay, but I don't feel like Ted got a big steal, like I think Minny did with Floyd.

pbmax
04-26-2013, 08:22 AM
If you guys had heard Capers last night, I am thinking he sees the field far more often in 2-4 than 3-4. But we'll see. Camp will tell us the plan.

Fritz
04-26-2013, 08:29 AM
If you guys had heard Capers last night, I am thinking he sees the field far more often in 2-4 than 3-4. But we'll see. Camp will tell us the plan.

I don't think he's being Wist-ful.

MadScientist
04-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Some quotes from Jones himself:

"I hate losing and I’m happy to come to an organization like Green Bay, with a winning tradition. To be able to play at Lambeau Field is crazy. I’m so hyped up right now already. I just want to play."

"I look back at it, the game has come a long way. One thing I do know, the great pass rushers have one thing in common - they play nasty, they play physical, they play hard."

This guy gets it and sounds like a 'Packer Person' from day 1.

3irty1
04-26-2013, 10:08 AM

We'll still use the 2-4 more than the 3-4. Every single 3-4 team does just as every 4-3 teams uses their 4-2 nickle more. What I think we'll move away from is the nickle as a run defense. The look where Pickett and Raji are the down lineman and Woodson is playing more of a LB role. I don't see the appeal to that anymore without Woodson. No matter what you think about Capers, he's a good enough coach to bend the scheme to ft the players and not the other way around. Hayward is awesome but he's no Woodson in that role.

rbaloha1
04-26-2013, 10:16 AM
There is a lot of love for this pick.

Already told TT he will play at whatever weight they want which is 295.

This is a base 3 down end -- not strictly a sub package player like Neal.

Due tochanging nfl offenses you need players with multiple skill sets which Jones appears to possess. The, no-huddle, up-tempo and spread options which limits substituting is forcing a redesigning of defenses. The packers recognize this.

In college, TAMU showed how to beat a traditional pro style defense.

woodbuck27
04-26-2013, 10:34 AM
AGREE

When TT was making a final decision on his pick at #26. He had two solid (and 'in my view' unexpected) options on the board. It might have been or could have been a head scratcher!? There's an easy way to avoid that in a pinch.

I analyzed TT's pick options:

Those options were:

a) 34 DE Datone Jones (lighter than our current DE's)

b)34 DT/43 DT Sylvester Williams. A Big DT ... STRONG and effective DT.

Maybe it got complicated for TT and maybe? not?

Why maybe? complicated? Complicated because our priority need looking at the roster was for a 34DE. Yet there is another issue (s).

DE Datone Jones didn't look likely to me.

Even though I Mock'd him in Rd. 1 #26. The best fit for us and priority need for a 34 DE. Looking at just the roster and forgetting all else.

What... 'all else'?:

a) The fact we have a need for more 'BIG' on our DL.

b) Add that we have five (5) DLman in a final contract year.

c) Add that BJ Raji and Ryan Pickett need help....a rest more often.

d) Add that another 'Big DLman' means more plays 'possibly' for BJ Raji.

There's more that TT is aware of. (-;

In my analysis of Round 1...

I had DT Sylvester Williams going to the Minnesota Vikings at Pick #23 or #25. I never imagined that DT Sharrif Floyd would slide down to the Vikings. When he did, they optioned him and left DT Sylvester Williams on the board.

DE Datone Jones got to Pick #26 because DE Bjoern Werner slide to the Indy Colts. I had Datone Jones going to Indy. Add this into the analysis:

Some unexpected prospects slipped up into Rd. 1 ie OT Justin Pugh to the Giants at Pick #19 and OG Kyle Long to the Bears at Pick #20.

I don't believe that TT expected that avalanche of DLman. When it was in his face he did the thing that covered need and BPA. He drafted The higher graded DLman Datone Jones with a Grade of 85.6 over Sylvester Williams with a Grade of 80.6.

He went with BPA 'Need'. = 34 DE Datone Jones.

Thus today DT Sylvester Williams is a happy Denver Bronco. My early pick to go to the Super Bowl from the AFC next year.

GO TED GO !

wist43
04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
I like the pick more now too, but... no telling how much of a mess Mr. Spraypaintedhair can make of it.

Now he has a different shaped toy - he couldn't figure out how to use Worthy, Daniels, and Perry. 280 lbs DE/DT?? Give Capers half a chance and he'll have Jones lined up over the nose in his new "Jell-O package", and out covering the slot receiver in his new "Puddin' package".

On the bright side, it seems TT sees the urgency of the mess he's created in the front seven and is throwing more spitballs at the problem.

woodbuck27
04-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Some quotes from Jones himself:

This guy gets it and sounds like a 'Packer Person' from day 1.

I hope it works out very very well.

rbaloha1
04-26-2013, 10:38 AM
We need the right bigs. The current fatties may not be around after next season.

Jesse Williams -- move up and get him. Also sends a message to current fatties to sign up for Jenny Craig today.

wist43
04-26-2013, 10:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOic2NiRkj0

The 2nd half of the Stanford game is one of the games that gave me pause about Jones.

He gets a sack early in the 3rd quarter, but even on that play he looked like me playing soccer when I was a kid - I'd only run if the ball came close enough that I didn't have to chase after it.

Then again, soccer is a eurotrash, communist plot... and doesn't warrant much athletic exertion.

rbaloha1
04-26-2013, 10:44 AM
I like the pick more now too, but... no telling how much of a mess Mr. Spraypaintedhair can make of it.

Now he has a different shaped toy - he couldn't figure out how to use Worthy, Daniels, and Perry. 280 lbs DE/DT?? Give Capers half a chance and he'll have Jones lined up over the nose in his new "Jell-O package", and out covering the slot receiver in his new "Puddin' package".

On the bright side, it seems TT sees the urgency of the mess he's created in the front seven and is throwing more spitballs at the problem.

Reacting to changing nfl offenses.

woodbuck27
04-26-2013, 10:46 AM
We need the right bigs. The current fatties may not be around after next season.

Jesse Williams -- move up and get him. Also sends a message to current fatties to sign up for Jenny Craig today.

I don't like the 34 'D'.

rbaloha1
04-26-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't like the 34 'D'.

I like it due to the blitz packages.

woodbuck27
04-26-2013, 11:04 AM

The 2nd half of the Stanford game is one of the games that gave me pause about Jones.

He gets a sack early in the 3rd quarter, but even on that play he looked like me playing soccer when I was a kid - I'd only run if the ball came close enough that I have to chase after it.

Then again, soccer is a eurotrash, communist plot... and doesn't warrant much athletic exertion.

Hey wist43...Good thing you didn't try to mock this draft and do so with integrity.

It wasn't a picnic this year. I looked at scores of prospects. I mean Mae and I actually acted like Internet Scouts. I produced scads of paper and printed alot.Analyzed so so much.

There isn't one site I've discovered that covers it all and when someone designs that site. That person will fork in the $$$$$ dough$$$$$

That person will become very rich because of the traffic. I'd love to be a consultant...for even 5% Royalties.

It seened that almost ever prospect had this or that wrong. My mock is the best I could do after actually having decided to stop. One change flipped another pick and that #26 pick was 'the devil'. The Rd. 6 and 7picks are solid and easier to determine but Picks #26, #55, #88, #122, #159 and #167 were difficult.

It's that integrity part and then things started changing rapidly. The board shifted. ie CB DJ Hayden moved Fr. Rd 3-4 to Rd. 1. There were lots like that but to a lesser degree in terms of moving.

I'll in the next few days try to make a more informed opinion on DE Dayton Jones; but it looks to me like TT made his best choice taking him.

I wasn't so sure last night. I was doing a balancing act between him and DT Sylvester Williams.

It's the sucky position we're in on our DL. The fact that DE Daytone Jones comes to us 'light' for TT's preference for size and DE and our ' so called ' 3-4 D.

GO Ted GO!

3irty1
04-26-2013, 11:04 AM
I don't like the 34 'D'.

Did you just come out to us?

woodbuck27
04-26-2013, 11:06 AM

Excuse me !!?

Did I offend you?

What kind of post is that in terms of any meaning?

PACKERS !

3irty1
04-26-2013, 11:06 AM

Repped!

3irty1
04-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Excuse me !!?

Did I offend you?

PACKERS !

34 D's is like the perfect bra size!

Joemailman
04-26-2013, 11:12 AM
I don't like the 34 'D'.

I do.

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/58/648e5ad963c342999d65e4ece31e093c/l.jpg

woodbuck27
04-26-2013, 11:19 AM

Opps! Sorry I'm a tad wasted doing that fricken' mock.

Ohh Dear I fell into that one...and I prefer 34C.

34-26-34. Zingers !!!!!

woodbuck27
04-26-2013, 11:20 AM
I do.

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/58/648e5ad963c342999d65e4ece31e093c/l.jpg

OK .... You won me over ... but be cautious......you'll arouse Fritz and Bretsky.

Fritz
04-26-2013, 11:26 AM
OK .... You won me over ... but be cautious......you'll arouse Fritz and Bretsky.

It did just that, Bucky.

wist43
04-26-2013, 11:38 AM

Great White Buffalo... she was short, cute, long black hair, 105 lbs, and 34D's.

rbaloha1
04-26-2013, 01:11 PM
nice draft pic. any asians or latinas worth drafting?

ThunderDan
04-26-2013, 01:39 PM

He gets a sack early in the 3rd quarter, but even on that play he looked like me playing soccer when I was a kid - I'd only run if the ball came close enough that I didn't have to chase after it.

Sorry Wist, I just don't see what you do. He was constantly double teamed and he still ended up in the backfield or stalemated the double team on the LOS.

rbaloha1
04-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Sorry Wist, I just don't see what you do. He was constantly double teamed and he still ended up in the backfield or stalemated the double team on the LOS.

yup. splits double teams. still makes plays in the fourth quarter.

hope jones gets to 320 plus since he could be a very good nose tackle.

pbmax
04-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Which one of you nutbags is named Rick?

Fro GBPG Mailbag: http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130426/PKR0101/130426045/Mailbag-Not-everyone-likes-Packers-first-round-choice

Rick, Upper Michigan: If the Packers lose out on Lacy, I hope someone at the Press Gazette has enough guts to question Thompson on it. He was there for the taking . What is it about Ted Thompson that when he has a glaring need to be filled, he does just the opposite of filling it? I don’t understand this at all. Another 1st round pick WASTED!!! This guy would have been available in the 3rd round according to most of the draft pundits . I hope someone has the guts to call Thompson out on this. You reporters for the Press Gazette have kissed his (expletive) long enough!!!!!

wist43
04-26-2013, 03:29 PM
yup. splits double teams. still makes plays in the fourth quarter.

hope jones gets to 320 plus since he could be a very good nose tackle.

Good grief rb... don't you start too!!! NT??

He's 280 lbs, and gets turned out of the hole from time to time at DE - like Raji, Jones's strength is his quickness... why would you want to turn him into a fat guy and negate his greatest strength?? He's strictly a 5-technique in a 30 base, and he's a versatile DT inside on passing downs.

Capers is entirely capable of screwing this pick up like he does everything else - don't encourage him.

What will putting weight on do to him??

wist43
04-26-2013, 03:36 PM
As 3irty1 said, Jones running hot and cold may be behind him now... so maybe it was a maturity issue.

As long as Jones runs hot, I'm very much okay with the pick... I just had my doubts about his on/off switch, and the fact that he was a tweener. That said, he's very stout for a 280 lbs guy.

From here, it's just a matter of how big a mess Capers can make of the kid.

rbaloha1
04-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Good grief rb... don't you start too!!! NT??

He's 280 lbs, and gets turned out of the hole from time to time at DE - like Raji, Jones's strength is his quickness... why would you want to turn him into a fat guy and negate his greatest strength?? He's strictly a 5-technique in a 30 base, and he's a versatile DT inside on passing downs.

Capers is entirely capable of screwing this pick up like he does everything else - don't encourage him.

What will putting weight on do to him??

okay capers is fraud.

first jones needs to get to 295.

second raji is out of here.

in the absence of jesse williams type maybe jones needs to beef up in the future.

lets not forget how much weight guys like eric fisher and lane johnson put on a relatively short period of time.

my idea about jones is based on the future and gradual weight increase with his already long frame.

rbaloha1
04-26-2013, 03:50 PM
As 3irty1 said, Jones running hot and cold may be behind him now... so maybe it was a maturity issue.

As long as Jones runs hot, I'm very much okay with the pick... I just had my doubts about his on/off switch, and the fact that he was a tweener. That said, he's very stout for a 280 lbs guy.

From here, it's just a matter of how big a mess Capers can make of the kid.

initally i wished the packers stayed away from this type of player. after more examination i am on-board assuming jones gets to 295 -- which appears to be plan as per TT.

Fritz
04-26-2013, 05:11 PM
initally i wished the packers stayed away from this type of player. after more examination i am on-board assuming jones gets to 295 -- which appears to be plan as per TT.

I feel okay about the pick. Which means he'll probably be a good player.

pbmax
04-26-2013, 05:13 PM
I feel okay about the pick. Which means he'll probably be a good player.

You and me both brother. Understanding a Thompson draft is weird. Only Raji and Matthews previously made that work and that required a complete overhaul of the D.

Willard
04-26-2013, 05:16 PM
I do.

Is this Manti's new girlfriend? Mahalo for posting!