PDA

View Full Version : First Round Follow-Up: Who Blew...It, and the nfc North

Fritz
04-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Okay, I'll start with the usual disclaimer: I thought Nick Collins and Clay Matthews were stoopid picks. That tells you what I know. But hey, that ain't stopping me from tossing out judgements on the first round.

So who pooped the bed so far? Well, to me, the Bills started with the right idea - trading back - but then they picked an erratic QB who was ranked by most as maybe, maybe, the third best QB in the bunch? That smacked of desperation, and desperation moves do not get you to the SB. More woe in Buffalo.

The Bears didn't necessarily poop the bed, but they sure wetted their Depends. Yes, Jay Cutler is on his back more than Lindsay Lohan, but Kyle Long? Hmm. Coulda had themselves a great tight end in Eifert, but they went for a guy with baggage who is a tackle...or is he a guard? Or neither?

The Rams - they gave up the farm to get a guy who may be the next Percy Harvin or may be the next Tedd Ginn Jr. Now they did recoup some of those picks later; nonetheless, they are banking on this kid, who is a risk due merely to size concerns. And then, speaking of risk, they took another one in Alex Ogletree. Guys in the locker room better keep track of their wallets, their wives, and their motorcycle helmets when he's around. And the police better keep track of him when he leaves the strip club, too.

No wonder the Rams suck.

And no mention of skids on the sheets would be complete without mention of Jerrah Jones. Nothing like trading up into the first round and giving up picks in order to draft a guy you very very likely would've gotten in the second. Way to go, Jerrah. And given your eye for talent, Frederick will be to centers what Felix Jones is to running backs.

Anyone else who should be on this list? Or is there a team here that doesn't belong?

QBME
04-26-2013, 06:52 AM
The local media here in Chicago are having a field day. Another "surprise" pick from alleged draft guru Phil Emery. The morning drive guys on the local sports radio station are apoplectic. I really enjoyed the drive to the office this morning.

Fritz
04-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Dontcha love it?

I'm in Detroit, and the locals are all over the map. The story here is that Detroit really wanted one of the big three left tackles, and once they were gone, Detroit was trying desperately to trade down and get out of the pick. But they had no takers, so they went with Ansah, whom they coached in the senior bowl or the north south bowl or whatever it was.

Some here think he was a desperation gamble. Some are hanging their hats on Bill Pollian's analysis that he's the next Bruce Smith. Others are glomming on to the Jason Pierre-Paul comparison.

Me, I think they wanted a left tackle badly and did not get what they wanted here.

And I wonder: in three years, how much difference will there be between Datone Jones and Ziggy Ansah, and which one will be the better player?

Joemailman
04-26-2013, 07:27 AM
Cowboys took Frederick about a round early. But I'll bet Jerry thinks they outsmarted everybody.

Fritz
04-26-2013, 08:10 AM
I wonder if the Giants blew it a little bit, too. But I don't know too much about Pugh. I wonder if they wanted the linebacker from Georgia, but when the Steelers took him they went to plan B.

run pMc
04-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Cowboys took Frederick about a round early. But I'll bet Jerry thinks they outsmarted everybody.

Agree with this. Also think Kyle Long should have been taken in R3 or R4. He's a project and I don't think Cutler/CHI can wait that long. With all the top rated OL gone I'd have expected them to go D to replace Urlacher.

I actually like what the Rams did -- it's a gamble, but with Ogletree we'll find out if Jeff Fisher learned anything from coaching VY and Pacman. With a creative OC, Austin could do some real damage. He's got quickness and speed and gives Bradford someone to throw to.

Speaking of gambles the Ziggy Ansah pick is a big one at #5. I can see how DET would want to trade out of that and be forced to pick. Still, they could have taken Milliner or Warmack, or reached for Fluker and moved Riley Reiff to LT. They have holes, and I'm not sure if Ziggy was the biggest need. I suppose losing Vanden Bosch, Avril, and Sammie Lee Hill probably made them go this route. I think the JPP comparisons are reasonable, but that's no cinch. DET's pick has boom-or-bust written all over it.

Not a big fan of EJ Manuel, but at least the Bills traded down to get him.

Finally, Justin Pugh to the Giants at #19? I thought that was a little high for him. He'll probably turn out to be another good NYG OL, but today it feels like a reach.

Cheesehead Craig
04-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Vikes fans here in the Twin Cities are loving last night's draft. Much bragging about how they already have the best draft of any team and now claim their defense is back to being elite already.

Guiness
04-26-2013, 09:28 AM
And no mention of skids on the sheets would be complete without mention of Jerrah Jones. Nothing like trading up into the first round and giving up picks in order to draft a guy you very very likely would've gotten in the second.

Or third...

Minnesota's first day is by far the most interesting, I think. Three first round picks, in a year that was supposed to be really thin on elite talent. Floyd is interesting, if he works out and fits in with Kevin Williams, the Williams Wall might just keep on going.

it's a gamble, but with Ogletree we'll find out if Jeff Fisher learned anything from coaching VY and Pacman

Is Ogletree that questionable? Like Pacman Jones territory? Two incidents so far, although the helmet one looks pretty silly. My question about that is, how is a scooter helmet different from a motorcycle helmet? And is there any video of the 245lb dude riding a scooter???

ND72
04-26-2013, 09:46 AM

I never bother myself with the round too early stuff. If he plays, then it doesn't matter where he was picked.

rbaloha1
04-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Obviously it is impossible to determine today.

IMO Ansah is going to be a typical Lions bust. Watched him play at BYU and the guy does not make enough plays to warrant this type of draft status.

The Vikings think they have another Julio Jones -- hopefully not.

Long is tough to figure-out.

Zool
04-26-2013, 10:17 AM
I never bother myself with the round too early stuff. If he plays, then it doesn't matter where he was picked.

That's my thought. If he starts for 10 years it was a great pick. A guy who sucked 10 picks after him will have been a bad pick. The term "NFL Draft Expert" is maybe the most ridiculous thing in sports.

Guiness
04-26-2013, 10:43 AM

I understand what you mean, but I think the concept of value is relevant. There are other guys out there who should be able to help the Cowboys, and they could still pick up Frederick later.

pbmax
04-26-2013, 11:03 AM
I understand what you mean, but I think the concept of value is relevant. There are other guys out there who should be able to help the Cowboys, and they could still pick up Frederick later.

And it increases the risk of you being right. But being off by an entire round isn't unusual between teams. Remember when Jones had his draft board Tweeted out? He had the Packers third round pick Burnett as a 2nd round grade and Neal as a third.

woodbuck27
04-26-2013, 11:16 AM
I wonder if the Giants blew it a little bit, too. But I don't know too much about Pugh. I wonder if they wanted the linebacker from Georgia, but when the Steelers took him they went to plan B.

That was IMO the biggest shock in round 1.

The organization is so strong that 'of course' they had to get it right. It's all the same a strange move.

The Cowboys have such need on their OL and I'm guessing their thinking starting in the Center. All the same noone would have guessed that move or believed it at first upon hearing of it.

Da BEARS and Kyle Long......whaaaattt ! OK I guess..... :smile:

PACKERS !

3irty1
04-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Patterson has the ability to make the Vikings look really goddamn smart. Of all the WR in the NFL that can't run routes or locate the ball he's by far the best. He doesn't need to be much of a WR because Ponder's not much of a QB. He's a guy who can catch short stuff and then run like a fucking demon with the ball in his hands. A way more physical Percy Harvin out of college. He and Peterson should combine for 2500 bruising yards next year IMO.

Heaven forbid Jennings should rub off on him the way Moss rubbed off on Harvin. Then he might do real NFL WR things as well.

Speaking of which what does Greg Jennings sister have to say about this pick?

Guiness
04-26-2013, 11:35 AM
And it increases the risk of you being right. But being off by an entire round isn't unusual between teams. Remember when Jones had his draft board Tweeted out? He had the Packers third round pick Burnett as a 2nd round grade and Neal as a third.

Not sure I understand what you mean by increasing the risk of being right? Do you mean if others think he's worth it, you risk not getting him?

Fair enough about discrepancies about which round a player is ranked at by a team. I tend to think there's less discrepancies in the first round, which is re-hashed ad-infinitum. Draft board risers always seem to get leaked. Also seems when you see a guy unexpectedly jump into the first round, he doesn't pan out as hoped. Not sure what the Giants are expecting out of Pugh.

Oh well, if nothing else, he's going to Texas and is already rockin' a ZZ Top level beard!

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Heaven forbid Jennings should rub off on him the way Moss rubbed off on Harvin. Then he might do real NFL WR things as well.

Moss left Minnesota LONG before Harvin got there. And I'm not sure Harvin has improved that much. He came into the NFL with ridiculous open field ability, good in the slot but not on the outside. He's going to Seattle much the same player.

pbmax
04-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Not sure I understand what you mean by increasing the risk of being right? Do you mean if others think he's worth it, you risk not getting him?

Fair enough about discrepancies about which round a player is ranked at by a team. I tend to think there's less discrepancies in the first round, which is re-hashed ad-infinitum. Draft board risers always seem to get leaked. Also seems when you see a guy unexpectedly jump into the first round, he doesn't pan out as hoped. Not sure what the Giants are expecting out of Pugh.

Oh well, if nothing else, he's going to Texas and is already rockin' a ZZ Top level beard!

Yeah, that was poorly put, I think I mixed metaphors there. By taking a player who might be viewed as a lower round value early, you are probably lowering the overall available talent added to your team. Similar to trading up. Same number of players in this case, but less upside. So in effect, you put more pressure on your decision to be right because the ceiling on your draft class is lower.

pbmax
04-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Moss left Minnesota LONG before Harvin got there. And I'm not sure Harvin has improved that much. He came into the NFL with ridiculous open field ability, good in the slot but not on the outside. He's going to Seattle much the same player.

Didn't harvin and moss reportedly become good friends when Childress brought Moss back?

3irty1
04-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Moss and Harvin played together under Childress in Moss's 2nd stint with the Vikings.

Guiness
04-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Yeah, that was poorly put, I think I mixed metaphors there. By taking a player who might be viewed as a lower round value early, you are probably lowering the overall available talent added to your team. Similar to trading up. Same number of players in this case, but less upside. So in effect, you put more pressure on your decision to be right because the ceiling on your draft class is lower.

A mixed metaphor? That's ok, I love those! Just the other day my gf said "It's like biting off your nose to spite your face" and I answered "ok, then we'll pair off in threes to shoot the monkeys in the barrel!" She was not amused :mrgreen:

You were agreeing with me - ok, I wasn't sure!

run pMc
04-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Is Ogletree that questionable? Like Pacman Jones territory?

Not quite there...but this is a guy who's had multiple run-in's at Georgia, and then gets a DUI in February. Maybe he's Odell Thurman 2.0, or maybe he stops being an immature idiot and grow the ___ up.
That hit he laid on Lacy in the SEC Championship where Lacy fumbles near the goal line was big-time IMO.

wist43
04-26-2013, 04:55 PM
I thought Patterson was a huge risk - not necessarily a reach, but a risk pick.

He flashed some big play ability, but he has only one season of major college football, and really wasn't very productive - 46 rec, 778 yds, 5 tds.

He's raw, and to me the kiss of death for a receiver - he's a very raw route runner who rounds off his routes. About the 3rd or 4th time Ponder throws an INT b/c Patterson wasn't in the right spot... his targets will go down until he gets it figured out. He needs a lot of coaching.

Fritz
04-26-2013, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers take his running mate at Tennessee if he's still around in the second or third. He may be the better NFL receiver of the two, and how fun would it be if he became just that and the Vikes stunk it up with Patterson?

Sorry Ras. But this is Packerrats, not VikingHelmets.

Bretsky
04-26-2013, 08:21 PM
I think the Vikings did GREAT...but Jones and Lacy is not too shabby

The Bears ....round one.....clueless. Eifert would have been an incredible choice for them there