PDA

View Full Version : Bet I made about the Packers OL

3irty1
04-30-2013, 11:50 AM
I made a bet with a friend of mine about who will be starting at left tackle coming off the BYE week on week 5 against the Lions.

As with most of our friendly bets the stakes are steak.

If Sherrod is starting that game he owes me steak. If Sherrod starts every game this season he owes me surf and turf.

If Anyone but Sherrod starts week 5, I owe him steak. If Sherrod doesn't start a single game next season I'll owe him surf and turf.

I've set up a poll so you can bet on the outcome of my bet.

Patler
04-30-2013, 12:10 PM
If Sherrod doesn't start a single game next season I'll owe him surf and turf.

Does that start have to be at LT? If Sherrod starts one game at RT, do you still owe him surf and turf?

3irty1
04-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Does that start have to be at LT? If Sherrod starts one game at RT, do you still owe him surf and turf?

I think I'm ok if he starts anywhere.

Guiness
04-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Tough Q.

I think you're buying steak. Just don't see him starting yet.

Zool
04-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Injuries will force him to start at some time this season.

hoosier
04-30-2013, 02:20 PM
He has a setback during summer and misses the entire season. Couldn't you and your so-called friend have made the stakes (so to speak) just a little higher? Like maybe surf and turf plus a fifth of one of those limited- production single malts?

RashanGary
04-30-2013, 02:40 PM
You lose :)

Sherrod is a project.

3irty1
04-30-2013, 03:02 PM
He has a setback during summer and misses the entire season. Couldn't you and your so-called friend have made the stakes (so to speak) just a little higher? Like maybe surf and turf plus a fifth of one of those limited- production single malts?

Haha we could have but we usually have a half dozen bets on at the same time. He insisted we add the bit about the surf and turf but I thought asking the question to the forum would be a fun way to gauge everyone's feelings on Sherrod.

hoosier
04-30-2013, 03:50 PM
I have highish hopes for the new #1 pick as well as last year's #1, so I have to hedge my bets and predict that Sherrod will turn out to be Justin Harrell II.

Patler
04-30-2013, 04:00 PM
I look at it this way, the starting tackles will be Bulaga and Barclay.
Bulaga is a china doll, so will miss some games.
Newhouse will sub for Bulaga based on experience, but will be pushed by Bakhtiari/Datko.
Behind Barclay on the right side will be Bakhtiari, then Newhouse.

Heck, I'm not sure Sherrod even makes the team, let alone starts a game! :wink:

Better save up for that surf and turf!

Bretsky
04-30-2013, 04:03 PM
He'll get a mercy start sometime in the season but not by week5 so ur buyin

Patler
04-30-2013, 04:16 PM
He'll get a mercy start sometime in the season...

Week 17, when BJ Coleman starts and Rodgers sits with the bye in playoffs already wrapped up?

pbmax
04-30-2013, 04:17 PM
He wins the job after missing portions of OTAs due to continued rehab and pain mitigation. Comes back ready to go for camp. Wins job.

Guiness
04-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Newhouse will sub for Bulaga based on experience, but will be pushed by Bakhtiari/Datko.

Bold prediction! Scary thing is, it could happen. Someone from last year, or one of the 4th rounders are not going to make the team. With the guys you mention plus Van Roten, there's 11 bodies there.

After read that, the thing I can't get my mind off is the idea of Newhouse on the right side.

3irty1
04-30-2013, 05:25 PM

Holy smokes, sounds like my bet is the perfect segue into our annual "Predict the OL" thread.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2013, 05:33 PM
I have no idea where Sherrod is at with his rehab. He wasn't a complete stiff when he did play his rookie year. Had some good moments and some inconsistencies. He could remain injury prone, but I think he has the talent to be the starter.

Guiness
04-30-2013, 06:19 PM
I have no idea where Sherrod is at with his rehab. He wasn't a complete stiff when he did play his rookie year. Had some good moments and some inconsistencies. He could remain injury prone, but I think he has the talent to be the starter.

That's some kind of jumping the gun calling him injury prone! He had a Theisman like moment, the only person who would've gotten out of that without a broken bone is Wolverine!

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Well, Harrell's injuries started out as one injury also, and I'm sure it was legit.
:)

It's more the slow rehab and then the second surgery. Usually when a guy is slow to respond and has a second surgery, the end result isn't pretty.

mission
04-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Thought second surgery was to remove the screws or something ?

Smeefers
04-30-2013, 07:53 PM

Sherrod is a project.

Sherrod was a project 2 years ago. If he doesn't show that he can hold his own, he's done. You don't spend 3 years on a project player, no matter what round you take him in.

gbgary
04-30-2013, 08:19 PM
i think he'll play...but not start. maybe next year if all goes well for him.

Gunakor
04-30-2013, 11:51 PM

Sherrod is a project.

Disagree. Sherrod isn't a project, he was a projected starting LT coming out of college. He doesn't lack talent or ability, he lacks 2 healthy legs. I still think he's gonna be okay once he gets healthy.

I just don't think he's going to be healthy and in playing shape before week 5. So 3irty1 is buying his buddy steak.

RashanGary
05-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Sherrod was a project 2 years ago. If he doesn't show that he can hold his own, he's done. You don't spend 3 years on a project player, no matter what round you take him in.

I know, but he came in that rookie year, didn't have any of hte off-season stuff (cba.) Then he had a shortened TC, then he got injured mid-season without getting much playing time. He has about 1/2 of a rookie year of experience under his belt. That's after coming from shit OL coaching in college. He came in a project and hasn't had a chance to work on much of anything. The guy has been in the tub since he got here.

Really, it will take him until about week 8 of this season before he's really had a year of NFL practice under his belt. As far as I'm concerned, he's still the same guy he was when he went out. Only difference, he's probably in worse shape.

He's a 3rd year rookie.

I look at it like we just drafted him again, except this time we drafted him coming of an injury that he won't be recovered from until sometime before the season starts. Yuck.

RashanGary
05-01-2013, 12:15 AM
I think I'm ok if he starts anywhere.

I don't think you should be OK. If he's as good as you say he is, there's no reason he shouldn't be the starter at LT right now, let alone week 5.

3irty1
05-01-2013, 12:22 AM
I don't think you should be OK. If he's as good as you say he is, there's no reason he shouldn't be the starter at LT right now, let alone week 5.

I didn't say he's any good. At least not in regards to this bet. More than anything I just think he'll win in an unfair fight because he's going to get every opportunity to live up to his draft status. The reason I said week 5 is because it usually takes us a while to actually get our best 5 on the field.... McCarthy seems to rarely get it right in camp and is slow to change. The actual bet was made before the season started so I said after the bye week he'd be starting.

RashanGary
05-01-2013, 12:37 AM
I think he's a pure LT. He struggles with power, and misses run blocks. I'd hate to see him anywhere other than LT.

3irty1
05-01-2013, 12:42 AM
I think he's a pure LT. He struggles with power, and misses run blocks. I'd hate to see him anywhere other than LT.

Agreed. Probably why we never discussed the what ifs of him playing somewhere else. I don't think there is a plan B for Sherrod.

RashanGary
05-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Sorry if I turn into a butt-hole in the Newhouse discussions. For whatever reason, I fight that fight more than I should. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

3irty1
05-01-2013, 01:17 AM
Sorry if I turn into a butt-hole in the Newhouse discussions. For whatever reason, I fight that fight more than I should. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

I've got a soft spot for him too actually. He was one of the first picks I ever predicted correctly in a mock. Thought he'd be a tackle even back when everyone called him a guard.

But rationally, I don't care who protects the blind-side of the franchise as long as someone steps up to do it and clearly I don't have my money on Newhouse. Saw him get beat too many times inside last year.