PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Draft

Smidgeon
04-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Now that the draft is in the books and a couple days have passed allowing tempers and euphoria to calm down, it is time to undertake the completely arbitrary task of grading the draft.

Whether you choose to grade it by best fit for Green Bay or by whether or not you like the players is completely up to you. But remember, please grade irresponsibly. Absolutely no one will use this as evidence against you ever. ...at least not anyone who isn't a Rat.

Feel free to extrapolate beyond the normal letter grades. If you want to add pluses or minuses do. If you want to explain why you're giving the "Trash gut" rating, I'm sure we'll all enjoy the thought out response.

Cheers.

ThunderDan
04-30-2013, 12:55 PM
I have no idea how to grade this draft. I haven't even looked at all the game film highlights that are on the Packers website.

I am happy that we got 2 RBs that have a chance to get our running game back to some level of competence. I am glad we got two DL and OL. It would have been nice to get one of the top tiered S.

This looks like a solid draft class. We will find out in 2-4 years.

ND72
04-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Obviously these are all what if's, and in 3 years it could be a terrible draft. BUT, I'm being optimistic. We got a DE that could be the pass rushing DL guy we've missed. He's got a high motor, physical, and big. Could take some pressure off of Clay or Nick. Then we draft, in my opinion, the best 2 RB's in the entire draft. Cut everyone else, keep Harris, keep these 2 guys. I think Teddy did a nice job with these 2 guys, I'm very excited. Then we also get 2 OL guys that aren't to bad either, and should be very solid backups for us, and maybe even push for a Tackle or Center position. The other guys are question marks...WR's are big fast kids, so you never know. The 2 LB's seem to fit our scheme, so we'll see how they shake out.

I'm happy with our draft.

Smidgeon
04-30-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm going with a B. Not because I know anything about the class, but mostly because I'm not sold on everyone. Last year, I loved the draft. And if Worthy can finally show up and Manning's shortcomings were all parasite related, I may still be right.

I don't love this draft like I did that one, but I'm excited for the RBs. I'm sold on the WRs and Tretter. I just don't know about Jones (hard to separate the Kool-Aid from honest opinion), the OL, DB, or DT (most of what I'm reading on PR sounds like Kool-Aid or venemous rancor). I hope Jones is amazing like I hope for all the picks to turn out. But I'm giving it a B instead of an A because I'm just not sure.

Smidgeon
04-30-2013, 01:10 PM
I have no idea how to grade this draft. I haven't even looked at all the game film highlights that are on the Packers website.

I am happy that we got 2 RBs that have a chance to get our running game back to some level of competence. I am glad we got two DL and OL. It would have been nice to get one of the top tiered S.

This looks like a solid draft class. We will find out in 2-4 years.

Of course nobody really has any idea how to grade it for reals. That's why I encourage the irresponsible side of you to pick a letter at random, then vehemently defend it into the ground. How else does one demonstrate his or her fandom of a professional sports team?

3irty1
04-30-2013, 01:40 PM
I think of all the drafts my favorite was the Steelers.

1.17 Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia #14
2.16 Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan St. #90
3.17 Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon St. #100
4.14 Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse #83
4.18 Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma #82
5.17 Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois
6.18 Justin Brown, WR, Oklahoma
6.38 Vince Williams, LB, Florida St.
7.17 Nick Williams, DT, Samford

That's a group I like a lot. 2nd favorite is probably the Pats although we can't all be on the right side of a hershel walker trade with the Vikings.

2.20 Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss #67
2.27 Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall
3.21 Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers #79
3.29 Duron Harmon, S, Rutgers
4.05 Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
7.20 Michael Buchanan, DE, Illinois
7.29 Steve Beauharnais, ILB, Rutgers

Lots of picks right in the sweet spot of this draft and addressed some needs they've been neglecting for a long long time. Both of my favorite receivers in this draft!

So if those are A+'s I'll give us a B+

Tony Oday
04-30-2013, 02:05 PM
A.

Love a 230 lb back that runs a 4.44 40.
MJD clone as his back up
Pass rushing DE to go along with Worthy, Perry, CMIII and Raji
2 WR that will be the replacements for JJ and Jordy when their next big contracts are up
O linemen....no idea but always nice to have some new blood there.

packrulz
04-30-2013, 02:18 PM
B. TT got 2 of what many considered to be first round caliber players, then accumulated extra picks in the sweet spot of the draft to fill needs. However, Lacy's running style and injury history is a concern, but considering when TT drafted him, he could be the steal of the draft. I wanted an ILB who can cover TE's, but Brad Jones may be able to handle it, and there were some awesome FB & TE candidates this year, but I'm expecting a better pass rush and running game this year.

Spaulding
04-30-2013, 02:47 PM
As already well publicized, the grading of drafts the day after (although fun) mean little to nothing where true value isn't known until a few years out. In the spirit of the thread though since I only know as much as I gather from review of others thus given the reviews on the web I'm going to view the draft as pretty good and rate it a "B."

A more object method though would be to look at the past history of TT and his success rate to provide a better idea of the potential success of the 2013 edition. From my viewpoint he's done the following over the years (where I rate busts if drafted in the first two rounds and not panning out):

2005 - 1 elite (Rodgers), 1 pro-bowl (Collins), 1 jury out due to injury (Murphy) and otherwise junk or at best role players
2006 - 1 pro-bowl (Jennings), 2 average starters (Hawk and Colledge), 1 prior good starter (Jolly) and otherwise average or backups/scrubs
2007 - 1 good starter (James Jones), 2 slightly better than average starters (Bishop and Crosby), 2 busts (Harrell and Jackson)
2008 - 3 good starters (Nelson/Finley, Sitton), two busts (Brohm and Lee)
2009 - 1 elite (Matthews), 1 good starter (Raji), 1 average starter (Lang), 1 backup (Jones)
2010 - 1 good starter (Burnett), 4 average starters (Neal, Bulaga, Newhouse, Wilson), 1 prior starter and soon to released (Starks)
2011 - 1 good starter (Cobb), 3 unknowns due to injuries (Sherrod, Green, House)
2012 - 1 good starter (Heyward), many unknowns due to too young yet to rate (Perry, Worthy, McMillian, Daniels, Manning, etc.)

So, running the numbers through the flux capacitor I expect at least one good to excellent starter from this draft and one or two more at least average starters. Factoring in TT's success rate for position tends to reduce the chances of a good running back but increase the chance of a decent receiver, but then factoring in draft position I believe the following will hold true:

Jones - average starter (based on high draft position versus bust with Harrell but good starter with Raji and potential with Worthy)
Lacy - good starter (based on draft position versus marginal past RB's drafting history but where he's exhibited three down back potential if healthy and so if healthy then the good starter rating)
Tretter - average starter at center

Looking forward to finding this thread in a few years and seeing how off I was :)

MadScientist
04-30-2013, 03:25 PM
C - This has the markings of a draft that won't pan out:
1) Jones - I think he will be pretty good
2) Lacy - I think he will make Justin Harrell look like a specimen of perfect health. (I really hope I'm wrong, but the more I read the less I like him).
4a,b) OL projects are only useful if there is a decent OL coach. The Packers didn't draft a good coach, so I expect nothing from them.
4c) Franklin - an upgrade from Harris, but nothing earth shattering.
5a) Hyde - The best we can hope for is a cheaper replacement for Bush.
5b) Boyd - One of those DL guys that stick around for a year or 2 but never amount to much.
6) Palmer - camp body or ST guy
7a) Johnson - Good 7th round flier, maybe the next DD. Will take a year or two to develop.
7b) Dorsey - Worth a shot at that point, but not expecting anything.
7c) Barrington - Yikes, keep him away from anything that has wheels, including the kid bikes at camp.

Patler
04-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Well, per the rankings of :worship:Bob McGinn :worship: they drafted

the #1 RB
the #2 DE
the #5 RB
the #7 OT
the #11 OG

Beyond that, they got:

the Big Ten "Defensive Back of the Year" in 2012.
an OLB prospect that Greene really liked after spending a day with his coach and having the kid visit GB.
a big, very fast WR prospect
another WR just as big and almost as fast,

The draft is all about prospects, kids that MIGHT have the potential to make it in the NFL. It's not an open field, the teams are limited to those players who are draft eligible. Given the limitations of the endeavor, looks like there are some players there to work with.

Patler
04-30-2013, 03:51 PM
4a,b) OL projects are only useful if there is a decent OL coach. The Packers didn't draft a good coach, so I expect nothing from them.

I've forgotten, what day is "Fire Campen Day" on here?

pbmax
04-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Its been pushed aside for Fire Slocum but we bring it back if there is a fifth Wednesday in the month.

MadScientist
04-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Every day should be "Fire Campen Day", but traditionally it is held the day after the first regular season game, during which the OL looks out of sync and totally unprepared for the life in the NFL.

Joemailman
04-30-2013, 04:29 PM
B. I like the RB's, Jones, the WR's and the LB's. But TT didn't draft anyone in my mock draft, so I can't give him an A.

Patler
04-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Every day should be "Fire Campen Day", but traditionally it is held the day after the first regular season game, during which the OL looks out of sync and totally unprepared for the life in the NFL.

There should be a "Fire Campen Season" lasting from then until the bye week. It is usually about the bye week that the O-line pulls their collective head out of their collective posterior head insertion orifice.

gbgary
04-30-2013, 08:11 PM
C - This has the markings of a draft that won't pan out: B...has the markings of a draft that might just pan out. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

1) Jones - I think he will be pretty good. me too...he's got very quick reactions.

2) Lacy - I think he will make Justin Harrell look like a specimen of perfect health. (I really hope I'm wrong, but the more I read the less I like him). god let's hope not. i'm gonna run with the crowd that think he might be oroy.

4a,b) OL projects are only useful if there is a decent OL coach. The Packers didn't draft a good coach, so I expect nothing from them. based on nothing more than what i've heard and read bakhtiari has a chance to be a starter on the left side considering how marginal it was last season.

4c) Franklin - an upgrade from Harris, but nothing earth shattering. harris showed something last season so an upgrade of that is very positive.

5a) Hyde - The best we can hope for is a cheaper replacement for Bush. that's hardly the best we can hope for. i hope is he turns out to be a 10yr pro-bowler. :)

5b) Boyd - One of those DL guys that stick around for a year or 2 but never amount to much.
6) Palmer - camp body or ST guy
7a) Johnson - Good 7th round flier, maybe the next DD. Will take a year or two to develop. would be terrific and he much faster.

7b) Dorsey - Worth a shot at that point, but not expecting anything.
7c) Barrington - Yikes, keep him away from anything that has wheels, including the kid bikes at camp.

let's see how it goes.