PDA

View Full Version : Are RFA offers not guaranteed upon signing?

Guiness
05-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Are restricted FA offers not fully guaranteed upon signing? I thought they were - the players have so little leverage a that point, for a team to be able to make an offer, have it signed then ask the player to 'renegotiate' is pretty ridiculous.

I'm asking because LeGarrette Blount agreed to a salary cut with NE. He signed an RFA tender with Tampa in March, was traded and NE asked him to take a pay cut. Seems like the teams are definitely getting their cake and eating it too on this - TB protects Blount by giving him a higher tender, then doesn't have to pay then tender after it's accepted!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/09/bucs-bring-back-blount-on-a-one-year-deal/

smuggler
05-05-2013, 08:53 PM
It's guaranteed, but he can change it if he wants. He hasn't been paid it yet, after all. You're thinking of signing bonuses.

If he had refused to reduce, he probably wouldn't have been traded. (If he refused after the trade, they could cut him but would have to pay the whole salary anyway.)

KYPack
05-05-2013, 09:30 PM
I liked the screwing the Eagles gave Cullen Jenkins.

They re-did his deal.

He signed for the vet minimum and put all the rest of his cash in his signing bonus.

Then, at the signing date, they cut him.

Now that's a classic Philadelphia handshake!

Fritz
05-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Yup. Now Packer fans can howl for Cullen Jenkins - or did he sign elsewhere already, I think?

Patler
05-06-2013, 06:42 AM
I'm not sure that Blount signed the RFA tender. I think he and the Bucs reached a negotiated deal. perhaps to facilitate a trade.

pbmax
05-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Yup. Now Packer fans can howl for Cullen Jenkins - or did he sign elsewhere already, I think?

Giants to replace Canty i think.

Fritz
05-06-2013, 07:41 AM
No wonder the Giants always beat us. They're bigger, tougher, meaner, and they sign ex-Packers more often than the Packers sign ex-Giants.

Cleft Crusty
05-06-2013, 08:19 AM
I liked the screwing the Eagles gave Cullen Jenkins.

They re-did his deal.

He signed for the vet minimum and put all the rest of his cash in his signing bonus.

Then, at the signing date, they cut him.

Now that's a classic Philadelphia handshake!

I saw that they re-did his contract last year, gave him a 5 mil roster bonus for 2012, promised a 1mil roster bonus and 1.5 mil guaranteed salary this year. So he loses the 1 mil roster bonus, no? I don't think they restructured this year.

KYPack
05-06-2013, 08:33 AM
I saw that they re-did his contract last year, gave him a 5 mil roster bonus for 2012, promised a 1mil roster bonus and 1.5 mil guaranteed salary this year. So he loses the 1 mil roster bonus, no? I don't think they restructured this year.

They re-did it post SB.

There were all the nicey articles about him doing it to "help the Eagles, etc".

Then they cut him a month later.

You can bet all the agents will bring that one up when other vets are asked to re-do.

The players lost this last CBA re-negotiation big time.

The main thing that happened was hosing the rookies and ending rookie windfall contracts.

A 10 year deal? bad for the NFLPA

Guiness
05-06-2013, 11:17 AM
It's guaranteed, but he can change it if he wants. He hasn't been paid it yet, after all. You're thinking of signing bonuses.

If he had refused to reduce, he probably wouldn't have been traded. (If he refused after the trade, they could cut him but would have to pay the whole salary anyway.)

You're right, he did sign a 1yr deal, not an RFA tender. The deal included no signing bonus, it was mostly (unguaranteed) base salary, more fool him for taking that deal.

Seems there has been a LOT of contracts getting re-negotiated down this year, more than I remember in previous at least.