PDA

View Full Version : Packers (WR) Charles Johnson

Packgator
05-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Here is a "pre-draft" article about Charles Johnson (WR) with some interesting comparisons. The Packers took Johnson in the 7th round (pick 216).

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/03/is-this-man-the-next-miles-austin-or-marques-colston/

By: Jon Moore

Is this man the next Miles Austin or Marques Colston?

Every few years a player comes out of nowhere to take the NFL by storm. It’s become a fact of NFL life. Consider Kurt Warner, Antonio Gates, Vincent Jackson, Victor Cruz, Miles Austin, and Marques Colston; one minute they’re as anonymous as the clerk at your local grocery store, the next minute they are plastered on TVs across the country. The question isn’t whether or not it will happen again. The question is, “where will the next guy come from?”

Here’s a guess: Elsmere, Kentucky.

That is the hometown of 2013 wide receiver prospect Charles Johnson. Over the last few years, Johnson has been difficult to track, both on the field and off. After his high school playing days in Elsmere, he spent a year at Eastern Kentucky before getting suspended and transferring to Antelope Valley Community College in California. He ended up at Grand Valley State in Michigan and has done nothing but dominate for the last two seasons. (GVSU was the proving grounds for Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly and Tennessee’s Butch Jones).

We’ll get to the production in a second. The real reason Johnson landed on anyone’s radar was his pro-day where he skyrocketed (literally) into elite company. If you combine his Vertical Jump and his Broad Jump numbers, you get 172.5”. Fewer than 8% of wide receivers eclipse the 170” figure and even fewer do it at 6’2’’ and in the 215-225lb range.

You don’t need me to tell you how good Julio or Dez are. They’ll probably be among the first five wide receivers drafted in your fantasy football league.

In case you’re curious about Stephen Hill, I’ll point you to this article about his likelihood of following in the footsteps of fellow Georgia Tech wide receivers Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas.

But back to Johnson—HOLY COW! What an impressive workout! But what if I told you that his production was equally amazing? Consider how he stacks up to other wide receivers that came from similarly obscure college teams:

Miles Austin, and Marques Colston have all posted elite seasons in the NFL. As you can read here, I think Brian Quick will soon join that class of premium receivers. So the only riddle left to solve is Grand Valley State WR Charles Johnson.

I was so intrigued by his workout that I actually visited the GVSU website to watch game recap highlights. On at least two occassions he showed ball skills that left my jaw on the floor, in addition to the many other ‘good’ catches. He certainly passes the eye test.

Johnson is a physical freak and a dominant producer. The third, and maybe most critical, piece of the equation is where he will get drafted. Yes, it would seem that a troubled past landed him in Allendale, Michigan rather than SEC country, but given his measurables, don’t you think somebody will take a chance on him? If and when that happens, Johnson will move near the top of my rookies-to-watch list. The ingredients are there. All he needs is a chance.

rbaloha1
05-08-2013, 10:53 AM
TO without the attitude.

hoosier
05-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Don't jinx him.

Tony Oday
05-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Another punk kid that will have to grow up fast to make it.

Packgator
05-08-2013, 02:04 PM

What makes you think he's a "punk kid"?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/johnson-fueled-by-fathers-fight-rp9s2qv-206534061.html

pittstang5
05-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Three WR spots are pretty much locked up. Probably two left. There's Boykin and ? This guy has got to absolutely suck in order to not make the roster.

Joemailman
05-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Three WR spots are pretty much locked up. Probably two left. There's Boykin and ? This guy has got to absolutely suck in order to not make the roster.

They finished last year with 7 WR's on the roster. I could see them possibly going with 6. Jeremy Ross showed some promise as a returner (despite the muffed punt vs. SF) so he could be in the mix. I have no idea how good of a receiver he is. I know some one who follows Maryland football closely and is convinced the Packers got a steal with Kevin Dorsey in the 7th round. Maryland had their top 3 QB's get hurt last year, which pretty much shut down their passing game, but Dorsey still managed to catch 4 TD passes on just 18 receptions.

pbmax
05-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Don't jinx him.

God he sucks something awful. Waste of a roster spot.

rbaloha1
05-08-2013, 09:06 PM

Overly harsh given father's health. Not a punk.

bobblehead
05-08-2013, 09:35 PM
I don't get excited about fast 40 times. I recall everyone excited about david clownly and aaron rouse, while bitching about James Jones.

He is an athlete, but if he had the rest of the tools he wouldn't have been a 7th.

rbaloha1
05-08-2013, 09:57 PM
I don't get excited about fast 40 times. I recall everyone excited about david clownly and aaron rouse, while bitching about James Jones.

He is an athlete, but if he had the rest of the tools he wouldn't have been a 7th.

Most receivers from this level are drafted in lower rounds.

mission
05-08-2013, 10:02 PM

Have you seen his youtube stuff? He's not just a track guy, he can really attack the ball out of the air. Great ball skills = enough upside to make the squad.

Joemailman
05-08-2013, 10:06 PM
He certainly has ball skills. The big question with Johnson will be his route running. He didn't have to rely on this at GVS because he was so physically superior to the DB's trying to cover him.

mission
05-08-2013, 11:18 PM
He certainly has ball skills. The big question with Johnson will be his route running. He didn't have to rely on this at GVS because he was so physically superior to the DB's trying to cover him.

No doubt about that. Hopefully he puts in the effort to get better here. In the meantime, send him deep in 4-wide and see what happens.

hoosier
05-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Have you seen his youtube stuff? He's not just a track guy, he can really attack the ball out of the air. Great ball skills = enough upside to make the squad.

I think that puts him over the postdraft praise threshold, and we can now safely say that at best he will be a tease, and at worst will get cut after the third preseason game.

pbmax
05-09-2013, 09:21 AM
I think that puts him over the postdraft praise threshold, and we can now safely say that at best he will be a tease, and at worst will get cut after the third preseason game.

He's horrible and should be cut before it infects the rest of the team. Let the Vikings or Seahawks sign him.

George Cumby
05-09-2013, 09:34 AM
The stench of his play is so overwhelming it can be detected by the ISS.

rbaloha1
05-09-2013, 10:02 AM

This is a guy that can not be hidden on the practice squad.

hoosier
05-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Well, at least 67% of posters seem to understand which way the wind blows. :-)

rbaloha1
05-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Well, at least 67% of posters seem to understand which way the wind blows. :-)

Another apocalyptic post:smile:

bobblehead
05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Most receivers from this level are drafted in lower rounds.

Shit, now that you are defending this guy I am almost certain he flops and is cut before the final 53

rbaloha1
05-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Shit, now that you are defending this guy I am almost certain he flops and is cut before the final 53

Keep posting your prophetic posts:laugh:

run pMc
05-09-2013, 01:09 PM
My first impressions are that he's a developmental pick. Probably gets stashed on the PS and gets a shot at taking Jones' spot next year when his contract is up.
Has decent highlights, but all the CB's played off him with big cushions. Didn't see him have to play hand-to-hand combat against press coverage once...and rounds some of his routes. Has a lot of potential (upsiiiide!!!) and he's huge (6-3 225) for a WR so is worth a R7 flyer.

I know even less about Dorsey, but has good measurables. Am guessing they doubled up on R7 flyers in hopes that one of them turns out.

smuggler
05-09-2013, 04:17 PM
He seems like a real smooth athlete, but I don't think he's particularly sudden. Perhaps he can develop into a deep threat, but his short routes look like they'll probably be bad.

Guiness
05-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Well, I'll tell ya one thing after watching that video...I'm happy the Pack didn't draft any of the CBs playing against him!

Cheesehead Craig
05-09-2013, 11:08 PM
I like that he consistently catches the ball with his hands away from his body. Not one of those guys that let's the ball come to him and uses his body.

pbmax
05-10-2013, 12:05 AM
I like that he consistently catches the ball with his hands away from his body. Not one of those guys that let's the ball come to him and uses his body.

That was luck and the fact that stickum is legal at GVU.

MadScientist
05-10-2013, 01:19 PM
One negative thing that jumps out on the film is just how many steps he takes to stop or make a cut. In the NFL that will get you covered, even if you have Jarett Bush covering you. Just take a look at some clips of Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones, and the difference is stunning. I hope he can learn to do it right in camp, otherwise its PS or cut.

Brandon494
05-10-2013, 02:10 PM
One negative thing that jumps out on the film is just how many steps he takes to stop or make a cut. In the NFL that will get you covered, even if you have Jarett Bush covering you. Just take a look at some clips of Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones, and the difference is stunning. I hope he can learn to do it right in camp, otherwise its PS or cut.

You don't say? :razz:

woodbuck27
05-11-2013, 10:46 AM
God he sucks something awful. Waste of a roster spot.

I read the sarcasm.

This fella has the meaureables and I saw 'good feet', to have a solid shot at a PS shot, at least.

I suspect that he'll be a TT/MM and Packer fan 'Pet' and hang around... post last roster cut unless he lays an absolute egg.

a) Noone seems 'in the least concerned', over Greg Jennings departure; and his role as 'a decoy' on our 'O' when healthy. Plus his solid route running abilty, mentorship and leadership.

All that gone and forgotten !?

b) Thinking of James Jones career season last year and (possible last season) this season.

c) Jordy Nelson's hammy !?

d) The two other guys (Ross and Boykin) and little NFL game experience in 2012.

I see 'at least' potential for sudden trouble at WR. I hope we won't be desperate for Rookie WR Charles Johnson.

PACKERS !

Carolina_Packer
05-11-2013, 09:18 PM
I read the sarcasm.

This fella has the meaureables and I saw 'good feet', to have a solid shot at a PS shot, at least.

I suspect that he'll be a TT/MM and Packer fan 'Pet' and hang around... post last roster cut unless he lays an absolute egg.

a) Noone seems 'in the least concerned', over Greg Jennings departure; and his role as 'a decoy' on our 'O' when healthy. Plus his solid route running abilty, mentorship and leadership.

All that gone and forgotten !?

b) Thinking of James Jones career season last year and (possible last season) this season.

c) Jordy Nelson's hammy !?

d) The two other guys (Ross and Boykin) and little NFL game experience in 2012.

I see 'at least' potential for sudden trouble at WR. I hope we won't be desperate for Rookie WR Charles Johnson.

PACKERS !

Yeah, Wood, if we NEED him, we might be in a bit of a tough spot. Making the team will be incredible, not because he's bad, but because the receivers are good. If he makes the team and makes a positive impact and is not just a game day inactive most of the time, that will be something for a 7th rounder. That said, if he wants to go ahead and be the WR version of Alfred Morris, I would not object. :-)

3irty1
05-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Yeah, Wood, if we NEED him, we might be in a bit of a tough spot. Making the team will be incredible, not because he's bad, but because the receivers are good. If he makes the team and makes a positive impact and is not just a game day inactive most of the time, that will be something for a 7th rounder. That said, if he wants to go ahead and be the WR version of Alfred Morris, I would not object. :-)

A 7th rounder in a very deep class signed to a team that lost 2 WR off the 53 last year. Its hardly incredible if he makes the team. Especially when he adds the kind of speed and ball skills that can make an impact with a 5th WR's targets.

Pugger
05-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Well, I'll tell ya one thing after watching that video...I'm happy the Pack didn't draft any of the CBs playing against him!

:lol: