PDA

View Full Version : Evidence of Improvement From Within: Broken Tackles

pbmax
05-09-2013, 01:56 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/broken-tackles-2012-defense

Packers and 49ers do not have trouble with broken tackles in 2012. By inference, I am going to conclude that having a sample size of 1026 plays to review indicates both that a lot of tackles were in the secondary AND there were a lot of big play first downs.

Plus the completely irritating first downs by penalty.

But really, overall, nice fix from Dom and Company on this issue. Not bad for soft and small players. God effort and athleticism there.

Cheesehead Craig
05-09-2013, 02:06 PM
God effort and athleticism there.

God effort? I'm pretty sure God could have stopped the Niners cold. Likely would have caused a turnover every play and returned it for a TD. Or at least have cast them into Hell.

pbmax
05-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Well, I would change it but have come back to find the error too late.

Maybe Godly effort would have been more apt?

BTW, Packers had individual defenders in the top and bottom list for broken tackle rate.

Hawk was among the leaders, and he did it with a high number of solo tackles. Brad Jones was among those with a top ten broken tackle rate.

hoosier
05-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Interesting that there does not seem to be a strong correlation between good tackling (low broken %) and overall team defense. There are crappy defenses that tackle well, and there are (at least reputationally) good defenses that miss a lot of tackles. I suppose if you are a bad defense, it is better to tackle well than to tackle poorly.

pbmax
05-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Interesting that there does not seem to be a strong correlation between good tackling (low broken %) and overall team defense. There are crappy defenses that tackle well, and there are (at least reputationally) good defenses that miss a lot of tackles. I suppose if you are a bad defense, it is better to tackle well than to tackle poorly.

I think tackling might be a second order kind of factor. Big plays might be first order as might QB pressure or run defense. Then tackling becomes an determining factor.

RashanGary
05-10-2013, 01:28 AM
I don't know if we were a bad defense either. I'd say average. Would love to see a jump this year. We're not all that far off from being a good defense. Maybe a really good one if a few things fall right.

wist43
05-10-2013, 01:57 AM
Amazingly, they actually did improve their tackling last year, and at times looked like an NFL defense. At other times they looked completely unprepared and out of position - that's on Capers.

We were completely dismantled and/or manhandled by SF (twice), the Giants, Indy (2nd half); Minnesota ran all over us (twice); NO hit us for almost 500 yds of offense, no turnovers, and only 2 sacks; Detroit outgained us 386 to 288 and held TOP of 37:14; Jacksonville moved the ball on us fairly easily (I was glad I started Cecil Shorts that day on my fantasy teams)... fortunately for us we get to play the offensively challenged Bears twice a year.

Our 2011 defense was a complete and utter disaster; last year was progress I suppose, but there's an awful lot of ugly in there. I concede injuries played a part in that, but that doesn't excuse everything.

I like a lot of the players, as individual players... the big question is how will Capers use them, or misuse them??

All of that ugliness I referenced from last season?? I put almost all of that on the Capers - not the players.

Fritz
05-10-2013, 04:47 AM
Capers = Satan.

hoosier
05-10-2013, 07:53 AM
I think tackling might be a second order kind of factor. Big plays might be first order as might QB pressure or run defense. Then tackling becomes an determining factor.

Yeah, if you are porous, have coverage breakdowns and give the opposing QB all day in the pocket, then you at least have to be able to get off the field on the rare occasions when you actually have someone stopped.

Pugger
05-10-2013, 08:00 AM
The jump in rankings from 2011 to 2012 was big. I think a lot of us view our defense poorly because of what happened against AP and SF.

Fritz
05-10-2013, 08:34 AM
And the Giants, yes.

The defense needs to be better.

rbaloha1
05-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Improved tackling was an emphasis from 2011 - 2012 -- Mission Accomplished.

Now get off blocks and stop modern nfl offenses.

rbaloha1
05-10-2013, 09:51 AM
McGinn oversensationalism :grin:

woodbuck27
05-10-2013, 11:10 AM
And the Giants, yes.

The defense needs to be better.

Yes the defense needs to get better.

An even dozen NFL teams have a better 'D' than the Packers. We saw a huge leap in defensive performance from a 2011 season ranking...31st to 13th ranked in the NFL overall last season. Tackling efficiency has alot more to do with a discussion and study on missed tackles. It would include a discussion on defensive roster talent. Specifically, in terms of athleticism, size, strength and speed. Include how to use the proper angle of pursuit in achieving effective tackling.

It should primarily look at our various levels of competition in the 2012 season. Last season the Packers played some very soft teams. The likes of Arizona, Jacksonville, St. Louis and Tennessee wern't good teams on offense. All were in the botton third of all NFL teams; with a combined 20-43-1 record.

Our competition in the NFCN the Minnesota Vikings were ranked 14th in offense Vs our 5th place ranking. The Bears and Lions 'O's' ranked at 16th and 17th respectively.

The Green Bay Packers 'simply' allowed the Indy Colts game to slip away from them.

The Seattle game was stolen from the Green Bay Packers. All the same... the Packers 'O' stuttered over and over in that game. Aaron Rodgers and company didn't get much done.

This fact must be acknowledged by all from the Packer fan up to the TOP MAN:

Any team that has a solid running game...ie..the Vikings, Giants, Seahawks or 49ers gave our 'D' a difficult time >>> to flat out destroying the Packers. The reasons for that are much to do with defensive strategy to improve the pass rush and stop solid rushing teams. See improved play at OLB, SS OLB and Safety.

Wist43 has told us over and over what the issue is. That issue is a combination of what scheme does our 'D' use. A 3-4 setup or a 2-4-5 setup and that, over the top too often. Dom Capers has our teams defenders, 'stunting' all over the map; instead of simply concentrating on what the oppositions offense is doing with the ball, on that specific down.

We see too often; that 'the head of our defensive snake' is cut off by our DC Dom Capers >>> 'brain rush'.

Why not a simple 3-4 allignment and 'a stand and looksee approach? Rather than excessive stunting, in anticipation of ... what? Allign with strength and patience.

Packers DC, Dom Capers would serve the Packers better by exercising a plan of simple patience and reaction, after >>> determining 'the prong of the attack', chosen by the opposition.

In the case of the 49ers, Seahawks, GIANTS and Vikings. Packer fans that have graduated from watching a game from the scoreboard or from where the ball was >>> to where it is now. Will have been educated to realize that; the Packer Defensive Scheme 'anticipation approach'. Is it's own worst enemy.

Again ... Wist43 'only offers this forum'... correct observation, advice and vision.

GO PACK GO !

rbaloha1
05-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Tackling is about technique and reps.

Poor tackling is an overall NFL problem which some attribute the NFL collective bargaining agreement that decreases the number of days for live contact.

Tackling is not like riding a bike.