PDA

View Full Version : Woodson still unsigned

Guiness
05-09-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm a little surprised he's still on the market. I think he could help a team at safety. Is he asking too much I wonder?

I didn't get the impression he burned any bridges in GB, I wonder if he might be back yet?

pbmax
05-10-2013, 12:04 AM
The way Woodson portrayed the end on NFLN today, it seems like the Packers are saying goodbye for good. They did not make a salary reduction request but let him know ahead of time of his release. That plus the statement makes the local guys think he is not on the Packers radar right now, and Woodson seems to agree.

But stranger things have happened (Tauscher, Ruettgers, Grant) and no one has gotten injured yet.

packrulz
05-10-2013, 05:18 AM
I can't understand why they don't at least make an offer, he might take it. He can still play close to the line of scrimmage, and is a good blitzer. Anyway, Wood is a class act, I wish him well.

Fritz
05-10-2013, 05:39 AM
He'd be taking a spot from a youngster. And his attributes no longer outweigh the negatives, not even on the cheap. I'm surprised the Lions haven't signed him.

Patler
05-10-2013, 05:58 AM
The guy will be 37 in October, has had two broken legs, two broken collarbones, recurring turf toe problems since midway in his years at Oakland, has had recurring shoulder problems since Oakland and has lost considerable speed.

It's time to focus on your wine business, Charles.

Joemailman
05-10-2013, 05:58 AM
I think Woodson lost enough speed that his style of play became a liability. He was really victimized by SF. He doesn't have the speed they want at Safety, and Hayward has the nickel spot.

smuggler
05-10-2013, 06:30 AM
It was clear he was never more than a marginal S. He liked the slot, but we have Heyward there, as Joe says. If another team needs a slot corner, that's his best bet.

hoosier
05-10-2013, 07:49 AM
I think Woodson lost enough speed that his style of play became a liability. He was really victimized by SF. He doesn't have the speed they want at Safety, and Hayward has the nickel spot.

He may be all of that, but don't forget that he is also tough.

Pugger
05-10-2013, 07:57 AM
It is rather telling that he is still unemployed. The only team I heard that showed any interest was SF but they didn't sign him. Unless some team gets desperate for secondary help in the future Woodson's playing days may be over.

Fritz
05-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Apparently Chuck is saying now he's open to joining a rebuilding team.

He's starting to look the like the former prom queen who shows up at the thirty-year class reunion and no one recognizes - or wants to dance with that overweight, red-nosed, varicose-veined drunk woman who's throwing herself at everyone.

KYPack
05-10-2013, 08:57 AM
CW.

All the respect now, but his time is done.

CB, he probably didn't have the speed for this job 2 years ago, let alone now.

S Again the speed issue. I think (Oh no!) that we are committed to the young boys. Charles would take valuable practice reps from the kids we have in place.

"Rover" DC created this job to keep Charles in there. I don't think Capers really liked the idea and felt it weakened the D.

Slot corner is Hayward's job now.

Also Charles would be a reserve DB that wouldn't have any ST duties.

It's unfortunate, but it adds up to gone.

rbaloha1
05-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Fall back guy that may have to wait until August.

More effective as a rover but a bad example for younger players.

IMO still can be a box safety with occassional blitzing. Yes, I own a C-Wood jersey.

Fritz
05-10-2013, 09:41 AM
I wish CW would recognize this, for it's getting unseemly now.

Patler
05-10-2013, 10:09 AM
I still remember seeing Willie Mays stumbling around in the outfield for the Mets, and missing routine fly balls because he lost his legs. Mays was one of the best, most fluid and most graceful defensive outfielders ever to play. A guy who made hard plays look effortless. But, he wouldn't retire, and he became a defensive liability.

I know they have the right to play as long as someone is willing to pay them. But it is always sad to watch the great ones become average, and in some cases less than average just because a team is willing to pay for their name and reputation.

Just retire Charles. You have nothing left to prove.

rbaloha1
05-10-2013, 10:18 AM
This is not close to Willie Mays.

Recall in the playoffs C-Wood stuffed AP one on one which showed he can still play. Against the niners, CW did his part by playing Davis mano to mano effectively.

Niner players wanted CW after they lost Gholson.

Keep going CW -- it may take longer than originally expected.

Cheesehead Craig
05-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Apparently Chuck is saying now he's open to joining a rebuilding team.

He's starting to look the like the former prom queen who shows up at the thirty-year class reunion and no one recognizes - or wants to dance with that overweight, red-nosed, varicose-veined drunk woman who's throwing herself at everyone.

So, how is your sister?

Patler
05-10-2013, 10:35 AM
This is not close to Willie Mays.

Recall in the playoffs C-Wood stuffed AP one on one which showed he can still play. Against the niners, CW did his part by playing Davis mano to mano effectively.

Niner players wanted CW after they lost Gholson.

Keep going CW -- it may take longer than originally expected.

One play here and there doesn't mean much. For me, all the times he was late getting to where he needed to be, the times he couldn't break up passes he was almost there for, etc. showed last year that his time was ending.

Quite frankly, long before they released him, I was hoping he wouldn't be back in GB next year.

The problem is with old guys, especially really old ones of which Woodson is now one for football, things can change very quickly. I can't remember who it was, but one of the retired NFL greats one time talked about what off seasons do to you, even if you continue conditioning. He said you can leave in January thinking "I can still play this game", then September rolls around and everything seems different.

In 2011 Woodson wasn't nearly the player he was in 2010. I thought in 2012 the difference from 2011 was even greater. 2013 could very well be the year he is put out there on reputation, then unceremoniously benched in favor of someone unheard of.

rbaloha1
05-10-2013, 10:43 AM
One play here and there doesn't mean much. For me, all the times he was late getting to where he needed to be, the times he couldn't break up passes he was almost there for, etc. showed last year that his time was ending.

Quite frankly, long before they released him, I was hoping he wouldn't be back in GB next year.

The problem is with old guys, especially really old ones of which Woodson is now one for football, things can change very quickly. I can't remember who it was, but one of the retired NFL greats one time talked about what off seasons do to you, even if you continue conditioning. He said you can leave in January thinking "I can still play this game", then September rolls around and everything seems different.

In 2011 Woodson wasn't nearly the player he was in 2010. I thought in 2012 the difference from 2011 was even greater. 2013 could very well be the year he is put out there on reputation, then unceremoniously benched in favor of someone unheard of.

That one play highlights the guy can still play in a some type of role. Watch the niner game.

No doubt skills are diminished but the anticipation is still there along with the ability to throw around his body to make plays. Remains an effective blitzer.

Probably does not return to GB because he does not agree with Capers schemes and calls and youth requires reps.

Patler
05-10-2013, 10:54 AM
That one play highlights the guy can still play in a some type of role. Watch the niner game.

No doubt skills are diminished but the anticipation is still there along with the ability to throw around his body to make plays. Remains an effective blitzer.

Probably does not return to GB because he does not agree with Capers schemes and calls and youth requires reps.

Anticipation helps, but a gambler who has lost his quickness and speed is a sitting duck to be beaten.
Throwing ones body around isn't so good for a brittle ancient one, and CW is both brittle and ancient.

I really expect that regardless where he signs, he will play very little.

woodbuck27
05-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Pride is the slave of humiliation.

Charles Woodson should be enjoying the start of retirement. Looking forword hopefully for him!? The HOF induction ceremony.

Not signing on anywhere for possibly a severely crippling injury.

If he wants to be a coach and feels prepared to do so. Offer as a coach.

rbaloha1
05-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Anticipation helps, but a gambler who has lost his quickness and speed is a sitting duck to be beaten.
Throwing ones body around isn't so good for a brittle ancient one, and CW is both brittle and ancient.

I really expect that regardless where he signs, he will play very little.

Whatever the role CW can still make plays. The lack of throwing your body around gives you Hawks which makes your defense average at best.

CW still has the respect of players. Current niners wanting him speaks volumes.

Cheesehead Craig
05-10-2013, 11:40 AM
I think CW won't get picked up until TC or pre-season (if at all) and that may be as a replacement for an injured player. I love CW, he's a great blitzer and is willing to get in front of a RB, not to mention per all accounts a hell of a guy. However his pass coverage skills have declined. I have seen him blow too many coverage assignments and he freelances/gambles too often, IMO and doesn't have the speed any longer to make up for those.

At some point in every players career, there comes a time when the game passes them by whether it's due to age, injury, or simply that their skills have declined. I think Woodson's time is here. He may have one more season left, but the way he's been hurt over the past few years, it's going to be tough for a team to sign him. I think the fact that no team has signed him yet speaks volumes.

Guiness
05-10-2013, 11:45 AM
"Rover" DC created this job to keep Charles in there. I don't think Capers really liked the idea and felt it weakened the D.

Too bad if Capers liked it or not, wasn't that the position he played when he won DPOY???

rbaloha1
05-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Why should any team sign Woodson now?

Speed is diminished but how does he cover Vernon Davis mano to mano?

Guiness
05-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Another note on this, I read an article a while back - can't remember where, I might've been slumming at Bleacher Report - that was talking about vets with big cap numbers, and it brought up CW and his $10million, and went on to say he was a warrior, you just have to pay the man.

Shows what the talking heads know...no one is going to pay him $10million, no one is likely to pay him $1million the way things are looking.

rbaloha1
05-10-2013, 11:53 AM
C W will be forced to play at the NFL minimum -- a huge bargain to play on third down.

Patler
05-10-2013, 12:51 PM
C W will be forced to play at the NFL minimum -- ...

I wonder if his urge to play is that strong.

Fritz
05-10-2013, 01:02 PM
So, how is your sister?

She's fine. She was never the prom queen, though. That was your dad.

Doh!!!:whaa:

Bretsky
05-10-2013, 07:21 PM
I wonder if his urge to play is that strong.

On the NFL Network today they were saying CWood is not open to playing for a rebuilding team. He just wants to hang on.

It's kind of sad......I think over the past couple years his coverage skills have really diminished and he needs to be a guy out there with the freedom to roam and take gambles in a defense like he used to in Green Bay.

Ted saw that and with our pish posh/aka inconsistent pass rush he realized GB was better moving on.

At first this had a cheap deal from Hoody Genius written all over it..........now it looks like the NFL GM's have watched the tape and have minimal interest due to dimished skills

woodbuck27
05-11-2013, 07:01 AM

He wouldn't have had to if the 49ers had signed him.

http://boltbeat.com/2013/05/10/poll-time-who-should-play-strong-safety-in-2013-woodson/

Poll Time:

Who Should Play Strong Safety in 2013…Woodson?

Friday May 10th, 2013 at 4:11 PM

By: MC Boltman ... San Diego Chargers

"...** the word is out that Charles Woodson changed his mind and not necessarily “needs” to play for a Super Bowl contender anymore; i.e. he is open-minded to jump on a team´s roster which is in “rebuilding stage” **.

Well, sounds like he´s turning his head south (…SoCal). Does Charles Woodson make sense for the Chargers?

Woodson was selected by the Oakland Raiders with the fourth overall pick in the 1998 NFL Draft.

In 2006 he went on to play for the Green Bay Packers and spent the past seven years with the team. He was voted eight times to the Pro Bowl and named seven times to the All-Pro team in his career.

Woodson also won the 2009 Defensive Player of the Year award, but he has seen his play decline in recent years. " See LINK above for the entire story.

Comment woodbuck27:

There are conflicting stories out there now and that.... maybe? Charles Woodson is exactly like:

So many aging Pro athletes 'and once - upon - a - time' terrific stars' and simply now at his age ... hanging on? For some reason I cannot imagine a man like Charles Woodson hanging on for what Ted Thompson 'even' might offer him as the season progress's and the Green Bay Packers (Lord Forbid) find themselves hard up against adversity and Defensive Back.

I don't pull for adversity.Therefore I don't see Charles Woodson back in the Green and Gold.

Will he play again in the NFL? That's reasonably, as a best guess:

Maybe!?

Now.... if he offered as a coach/player coach 'with a bonus clause'. I'd love to see Charles Woodson get a chance with our Packers; and if his price was reasonable.

Why do I imagine that Charles Woodson might price himself; rather too high right now!?

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
05-11-2013, 07:11 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1636392-oakland-raiders-3-free-agents-the-raiders-should-target#/articles/1636392-oakland-raiders-3-free-agents-the-raiders-should-target

Oakland Raiders: 3 Free Agents the Raiders Should Target

By: Clarence Baldwin Jr (Featured Columnist) ... Sat. May 11, 2013

Is a return to Oakland in the cards for future Hall of Famer Woodson?

PACKERS !

KYPack
05-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Too bad if Capers liked it or not, wasn't that the position he played when he won DPOY???

He played CB in 2010. That said, they would rotate him in different covers, with Wood playing as a rover. I really don't know how much of that was by design and how much of it was Wood getting a read on an offense and putting himself in position to make plays.

So ya go from 2010 Wood plays corner and "roves" to 2012 (after his return from injury) Wood plays safety and blitzes/roves.

He has lost a couple steps, really can't play corner or slot corner, he's even too slow to play safety effectively.

There still might be a team that has nothing at safety, that could use Wood as a stop gap safety and a mentor to a young backfield, but it ain't the Packers.

pbmax
05-11-2013, 10:37 AM
I can see Dom being of two minds about the rover.

While Woodson was undoubtably effective in the role, the DBs, as they have since Woodson arrived, often seemed to get themselves out of position or have communication issues (this goes back to Wood's first year with the Packers with Sanders as DC).

As his skills and availability declined, the reward clearly began to outweigh the risk. I also think Wood's example at times encouraged a little too much risk taking in the back.

rbaloha1
05-11-2013, 12:37 PM
On the NFL Network today they were saying CWood is not open to playing for a rebuilding team. He just wants to hang on.

It's kind of sad......I think over the past couple years his coverage skills have really diminished and he needs to be a guy out there with the freedom to roam and take gambles in a defense like he used to in Green Bay.

Ted saw that and with our pish posh/aka inconsistent pass rush he realized GB was better moving on.

At first this had a cheap deal from Hoody Genius written all over it..........now it looks like the NFL GM's have watched the tape and have minimal interest due to dimished skills

Incorrect -- CW is willing to play for a rebuilding team.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/206877631.html

woodbuck27
05-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Incorrect -- CW is willing to play for a rebuilding team.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/206877631.html

That's certainly the sensable approach. Get your foot in with bonus clauses and then try your damnest to turn it on.

That man should still be able to shine with his peers.

I certainly did with mine even when I was over 40 years of age....still making 'ALL STAR' games and winning MVP awards and Championships. Being able to outrun, out hustle and out muscle, athletic early 20 year olds.

It's all in the heart, mind and spirit. In a rightful realistic pride. It's got alot to do with confidence and preparation and how to go about that to deliver timing and consistency.

There's nothing that excited me more to getting it done than a silly nay sayer.

Charles Woodson is certainly aware that there are 'over the top' too many of them.

Stun em' Chuck. Make them eat their words. Your merely the underdog.

Just do it ! Show them how 'you' >>> do it !

PACKERS !

swede
05-11-2013, 04:01 PM
There's nothing that excited me more to getting it done than a silly nay sayer.

Advice to Canadian horses: keep your tail down and learn to say moo.

Pugger
05-11-2013, 06:36 PM

He can't cover decent TEs or WRs now because his speed is diminished and why he is still unemployed.

rbaloha1
05-11-2013, 06:56 PM
He can't cover decent TEs or WRs now because his speed is diminished and why he is still unemployed.

Vernon Davis is not decent? Despite what Woodson and Whitt says Woodson has lost speed -- it is a known fact.

Why did the niner current players want Woodson? Why sign him now? Wood is a fallback guy. Plus he may not always play team defense.

IMO best role is a 3rd down Polomalu. Unsure a d-coordinator would allow this.

Pugger
05-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Vernon Davis is not decent? Despite what Woodson and Whitt says Woodson has lost speed -- it is a known fact.

Why did the niner current players want Woodson? Why sign him now? Wood is a fallback guy. Plus he may not always play team defense.

IMO best role is a 3rd down Polomalu. Unsure a d-coordinator would allow this.

I didn't say Davis isn't decent. I was implying Woodson couldn't cover an average NFL TE let alone one of VD's caliber. Niner players might have wanted Woodson but it is clear Harbaugh and company did not and Charles is still looking for work. I suppose his best bet will be to hope a team will get desperate because of injuries to their secondary and they will give him a call later in TC.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-12-2013, 08:45 AM
If they are going to sign a free agent safety I would rather they sign Kerry Rhodes than Charles Woodson.

rbaloha1
05-12-2013, 09:21 AM
I didn't say Davis isn't decent. I was implying Woodson couldn't cover an average NFL TE let alone one of VD's caliber. Niner players might have wanted Woodson but it is clear Harbaugh and company did not and Charles is still looking for work. I suppose his best bet will be to hope a team will get desperate because of injuries to their secondary and they will give him a call later in TC.

Woodson was a big reason Davis had only one catch for 44 yards and stuffing AP during the playoffs. The niners went for Craig Dahl, 27 year old free agent and drafted Eric Reid in round one.

CW can still play but unfortunately is going to have to wait.

Patler
05-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Woodson was a big reason Davis had only one catch for 44 yards and stuffing AP during the playoffs. The niners went for Craig Dahl, 27 year old free agent and drafted Eric Reid in round one.

CW can still play but unfortunately is going to have to wait.

I'm not sure you are right about Woodson being the reason Davis had only one catch. It was discussed a lot as playoffs started that Kaepernick and Davis didn't seem to click on the field. After Kaepernick took over as the starter in Week 11, Davis had only 12 catches in 7 games for 144 yards and 1 TD. His long was 32. Six of his 12 receptions came in one game, the first that Kaepernick started. In four games he had only 1 reception and in one he had none.

Davis pretty much disappeared from the offense in the 7 games after Kaepernick took over.

rbaloha1
05-12-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure you are right about Woodson being the reason Davis had only one catch. It was discussed a lot as playoffs started that Kaepernick and Davis didn't seem to click on the field. After Kaepernick took over as the starter in Week 11, Davis had only 12 catches in 7 games for 144 yards and 1 TD. His long was 32. Six of his 12 receptions came in one game, the first that Kaepernick started. In four games he had only 1 reception and in one he had none.

Davis pretty much disappeared from the offense in the 7 games after Kaepernick took over.

Valid point -- it clearly was an issue and a work in progress. However if VD was open CK would have found him. CW blanketed VD well when mano to mano.

CW can also fill run gaps unlike other current packer rostered safeties.

Patler
05-12-2013, 05:38 PM
CW blanketed VD well when mano to mano.

Just curious, how do you know that? From what I see in games, unless the pass is directed at a player, you seldom know if he was covered, or wide open with no one near. Unless the pass is directed to him, he is seldom even visible in the view broadcast.

Did you subscribe to whatever it was that was supposed to show the full field views?
Is it any good? Worth the money?
If you subscribe, can you call it up anytime, even now?
Or just a limited time after a game?

Cheesehead Craig
05-12-2013, 06:58 PM
She's fine. She was never the prom queen, though. That was your dad.

Doh!!!:whaa:

One of these days... POW! Straight to the moon Fritz!

rbaloha1
05-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Just curious, how do you know that? From what I see in games, unless the pass is directed at a player, you seldom know if he was covered, or wide open with no one near. Unless the pass is directed to him, he is seldom even visible in the view broadcast.

Did you subscribe to whatever it was that was supposed to show the full field views?
Is it any good? Worth the money?
If you subscribe, can you call it up anytime, even now?
Or just a limited time after a game?

How do you not know that?

Patler
05-12-2013, 08:26 PM
How do you not know that?

Is it the same "intelligence" you use that Justin Smith weighs 270 or challenge McGinn's in-depth analysis.

Woodbuck -- is this the arrogant prick you are referring to?

How do I not know what? That Woodson covered Davis ljke a blanket? Very simple, because I never saw it in that game. Not with enough regularity to make any definitive statement about it. Most of the time I didn't see what Woodson was doing on a play. Mostly I saw the QBs and linemen, with cuts to limited frames of wherever the passes went. I have no clue what was going on elsewhere on the field because I couldn't see it. When I did see Woodson, too often he was running and struggling to get back into plays.

I simply asked you some questions about whatever that service is that was available last year, and if it was worth it. I thought you were one of the people on here who said they subscribed. I was hoping to find out more about it.

What about Justin Smith and his weight? All I would know is what is published on rosters. Don't remember discussing it, but maybe. Are you confusing me with someone else? You will have to refresh my memory. When was it?

I've never challenged McGinn's indepth analysis, especially not about the draftable players. I usually save his summaries about positions so I can look at the paragraphs on the top players at each position.

My beef with McGinn has been with the rumors and "inside information" he publishes which far too often is shown to be baseless. I hate the spin he uses to justify rumors published by him and his cronies, even after proven wrong, like the "bigger tougher" and "avoid injured players at all cost" rumors that the draft facts this year simply do not support. As I said several times recently, some readers want to kiss his ass for everything he publishes, instead of thinking for themselves and differentiating between the things he is very good at, at the times he sensationalizes rumors to sell papers.

By the way, if you really want to see an arrogant prick, look in the mirror. You complain that you are the target of unfounded attacks, yet you jump all over me, call me names and the like for a very innocent post.

I guess this is where I should beseach Mad to take action, like you have done time and time again.

rbaloha1
05-12-2013, 08:36 PM
How do I not know what? That Woodson covered Davis ljke a blanket? Very simple, because I never saw it in that game. Not with enough regularity to make any definitive statement about it. Most of the time I didn't see what Woodson was doing on a play. Mostly I saw the QBs and linemen, with cuts to limited frames of wherever the passes went. I have no clue what was going on elsewhere on the field because I couldn't see it. When I did see Woodson, too often he was running and struggling to get back into plays.

I simply asked you some questions about whatever that service is that was available last year, and if it was worth it. I thought you were one of the people on here who said they subscribed. I was hoping to find out more about it.

What about Justin Smith and his weight? All I would know is what is published on rosters. Don't remember discussing it, but maybe. Are you confusing me with someone else? You will have to refresh my memory. When was it?

I've never challenged McGinn's indepth analysis, especially not about the draftable players. I usually save his summaries about positions so I can look at the paragraphs on the top players at each position.

My beef with McGinn has been with the rumors and "inside information" he publishes which far too often is shown to be baseless. I hate the spin he uses to justify rumors published by him and his cronies, even after proven wrong, like the "bigger tougher" and "avoid injured players at all cost" rumors that the draft facts this year simply do not support. As I said several times recently, some readers want to kiss his ass for everything he publishes, instead of thinking for themselves and differentiating between the things he is very good at, at the times he sensationalizes rumors to sell papers.

By the way, if you really want to see an arrogant prick, look in the mirror. You complain that you are the target of unfounded attacks, yet you jump all over me, call me names and the like for a very innocent post.

I guess this is where I should beseach Mad to take action, like you have done time and time again.

Mistaken identity -- greatly apologize.

The NFL web site has various services at it web site to get different views.

Keep being skeptical but Woodson had a very good day covering Davis -- no matter your long post explaining nothing.

Patler, your stuff is generally good.

My bad.

Patler
05-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Mistaken identity -- greatly apologize.

The NFL web site has various services at it web site to get different views.

Keep being skeptical but Woodson had a very good day covering Davis -- no matter your long post explaining nothing.

Patler, your stuff is generally good.

My bad.

No problem.

As for Woodson, one of the JS or GBPG writers this past week had a paragraph within an article on something else, in which he stated, with stats and opinion, about how the pass defense improved as soon as Woodson was out, suggesting that he never fit in at safety. Meant to link it at the time, but forgot, and now I can't remember which article it was in.

I hope he finds a spot if he still wants to play. I have little interest in it being in GB, however.

Pugger
05-13-2013, 07:38 AM
All I know is if Woodson had a good day covering Davis why did we let him walk and why is he still unemployed?

rbaloha1
05-13-2013, 08:12 AM
All I know is if Woodson had a good day covering Davis why did we let him walk and why is he still unemployed?

1. Age
2. Injury history
3. Critical of Capers
4. Free Lances Too Much -- Bad Influence on younger players
5. Made it clear in January he was unwilling to take a paycut

Bottom Line: Even though CW can still play finding the right scheme and coordinator is a problem.

George Cumby
05-13-2013, 09:01 AM
1. Age
2. Injury history
3. Critical of Capers

Bottom Line: Even though CW can still play finding the right scheme and coordinator is a problem.

As much as I like Woodson, I think the bottom line is he can no longer play, otherwise someone would have picked him up by now.

bobblehead
05-13-2013, 10:55 AM
1. Age
2. Injury history
3. Critical of Capers

Rare instance where I agree with you. Thought Wood played well against SF, but wouldn't rework his contract. Now he is looking for the perfect situation, and GB is waiting to see if they desperately need him before offering him anything. It wouldn't hurt either side if he came in after week ?? and lined right up.

Cleft Crusty
05-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Thought Wood played well against SF

this should disqualify you from posting for at least a month. Woodson was done after the Superbowl. The guy broke his collarbone giving everything he had just to make a routine coverage play at Corner. Despite some successes in 2011 due to being a wily veteran, the guy had lost his physical edge. Done and done.

woodbuck27
05-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by rbaloha1

" How do you not know that?

Is it the same "intelligence" you use that Justin Smith weighs 270 or challenge McGinn's in-depth analysis." rbaloha1

Woodbuck -- is this the arrogant prick you are referring to? " rbaloha1

Response to above by Patler:

Woodbuck -- is this the arrogant prick you are referring to? " rbaloha1

Response woodbuck27:

I know 'of course', that you deleted this portion of that post 'in finality'; but all the same, it's on this board and I therefore must address it.

You asked a ? of me and a derogatory desciption of Packerrats member known as Patler.

Patler isn't in my view... an arrogant prick.

Did I specifically post that anyone here at Packerrats is 'an arrogant prick'? I believe I used the term 'prickishness' and from time to time any man that can assert himself... will get right there. That's simply 'a part of being a real man', when that's necessary.

Now arrogance is another matter.

I've often issued this caution and not 'only' to others but also to myself. Never confuse 'arrogance' with 'intelligence'. Patler is an intelligent poster.

I've discovered in my lifetime that 'a persons intelligence', can often be a form of frustration to a large proportion of all people. That feeling of being frustrated doesn't make the person frustrating another ...a prick or prickish.

Otherwise I don't want to comment on this. My post here is merely meant as a clarification for you and this board.

Have a nice day.

rbaloha1
05-13-2013, 08:20 PM
this should disqualify you from posting for at least a month. Woodson was done after the Superbowl. The guy broke his collarbone giving everything he had just to make a routine coverage play at Corner. Despite some successes in 2011 due to being a wily veteran, the guy had lost his physical edge. Done and done.

I guess you did not watch the Vikings or 49ers playoff games in which C-wood played. Stuffed AP and blanketed Davis. Again current 49er players wanted C-Wood on their team.

Just becauseCW remains unsigned does not mean he can still make plays in specific roles.

Cleft Crusty
05-14-2013, 06:16 AM
I guess you did not watch the Vikings or 49ers playoff games in which C-wood played. Stuffed AP and blanketed Davis. Again current 49er players wanted C-Wood on their team.

Just becauseCW remains unsigned does not mean he can still make plays in specific roles.

Sure, Woodson can still make a play here or there, just like Driver last year. Unlike Driver however, the Packers don't want him back, even it seems, at a discount. Maybe the Packers player personnel guys know more than 49er players.

Fritz
05-14-2013, 06:27 AM
If Woodson was that impressive against the Niners, wouldn't the Niners, who need a safety, have signed him?

rbaloha1
05-14-2013, 07:58 AM
If Woodson was that impressive against the Niners, wouldn't the Niners, who need a safety, have signed him?

its not the players choice. front office signed a rams 27 yo safety and drafted reid in round one.

rbaloha1
05-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Sure, Woodson can still make a play here or there, just like Driver last year. Unlike Driver however, the Packers don't want him back, even it seems, at a discount. Maybe the Packers player personnel guys know more than 49er players.

this is not dd -- plays at a much higher level when on the field. mentioned other issues. it is not always about the level of play.

recall in 2006, woodson had little interest with many speculating career was over.

cw has something left in the tank in a specialized role.

Patler
05-14-2013, 08:05 AM
its not the players choice. front office signed a rams 27 yo safety and drafted reid in round one.

So the 49ers front office didn't realize how well Woodson had played against them?

rbaloha1
05-14-2013, 08:10 AM
So the 49ers front office didn't realize how well Woodson had played against them?

You weigh out other factors which at the end of the day the front office determines its not worth it.

It's not black and white like you want to make it.

Patler
05-14-2013, 08:24 AM
You weigh out other factors which at the end of the day the front office determines its not worth it.

It's not black and white like you want to make it.

Nah, I've never been one to make it a b/w issue. I just think in Woodson's case he really did not play that well in 2012. You seem to be of an opinion that he did. That's all.

denverYooper
05-14-2013, 10:53 AM
this is not dd -- plays at a much higher level when on the field. mentioned other issues. it is not always about the level of play.

recall in 2006, woodson had little interest with many speculating career was over.

cw has something left in the tank in a specialized role.

Motivational speaker.

rbaloha1
05-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Motivational speaker.

did you watch the playoff games?

are you a motivational speaker?

Guiness
05-14-2013, 11:21 AM

Cleft, ever the voice of reason

+1 to the Packer personnel guys having a better idea. I can't think of too many (non-QB) old FAs that switch teams and go on to play well elsewhere. I would think the evaluation done by their current team is generally a pretty accurate one, and if they decide he's not worth a contract, he probably isn't.

woodbuck27
05-14-2013, 11:38 AM

+1 to the Packer personnel guys having a better idea. I can't think of too many (non-QB) old FAs that switch teams and go on to play well elsewhere. I would think the evaluation done by their current team is generally a pretty accurate one, and if they decide he's not worth a contract, he probably isn't.

Yes but $$THAT CONTRACT$$ was for alot of $$COIN$$.

Charles Woodson would 'reasonably' need to get his head set on a conservative minimum 70-80% reduction in that Packer salary....more.

PACKERS !

rbaloha1
05-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Agreed -- not worth 10 million per year.

Play is another story.

rbaloha1
05-14-2013, 12:31 PM

BTW Packer Personnel do make mistakes -- just ask this board.

rbaloha1
05-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Visiting the Denver Broncos today.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/05/15/woodson-set-to-visit-with-broncos/

rbaloha1
05-15-2013, 11:01 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9274846/charles-woodson-visit-denver-broncos-oakland-raiders-offer-agent-says

Offer from the Raiders and interest from the Panthers.

Amazing the board missed this...:-D

Zool
05-15-2013, 11:45 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9274846/charles-woodson-visit-denver-broncos-oakland-raiders-offer-agent-says

Good thing agents never put out false information about offers from other teams when their player is visiting a different team.

Patler
05-15-2013, 12:15 PM

Didn't miss it. Saw it this morning, came to post it, and saw that you already had.

rbaloha1
05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Good thing agents never put out false information about offers from other teams when their player is visiting a different team.

It is all about commissions baby.

Pugger
05-15-2013, 12:55 PM
It will be interesting to see what kind of salary these teams are offering Charles. I would think he'd prefer Denver seeing that is the only playoff caliber team expressing any interest in him these days.

rbaloha1
05-15-2013, 01:00 PM
It will be interesting to see what kind of salary these teams are offering Charles. I would think he'd prefer Denver seeing that is the only playoff caliber team expressing any interest in him these days.

My guess is incentive based which is what TT did initially with CW.

Patler
05-15-2013, 01:09 PM
My guess is incentive based which is what TT did initially with CW.

Ya, don't know how you could do anything else with his history. A couple broken legs, a couple broken collar bones, a toe issue that seems to be chronic, shoulders that have cause him to miss practices, etc. Might play all 16, might play only 1 or 2 at his age with his history.

rbaloha1
05-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Ya, don't know how you could do anything else with his history. A couple broken legs, a couple broken collar bones, a toe issue that seems to be chronic, shoulders that have cause him to miss practices, etc. Might play all 16, might play only 1 or 2 at his age with his history.

Sounds like a pro football warrior.

Patler
05-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a pro football warrior.

No doubt.

Fritz
05-16-2013, 10:25 AM
I can't believe that Mckenzie would be interested, given that he is blowing up that team. He knows better than taking away practice reps and game time from young bucks he's trying to develop.

rbaloha1
05-16-2013, 11:20 AM
I can't believe that Mckenzie would be interested, given that he is blowing up that team. He knows better than taking away practice reps and game time from young bucks he's trying to develop.

Demonstrates McKenzie believes CW can still play. Plus CW when facing veteran dvision rival qbs Manning and Brees.

Recall Mike McKenzie comments about Shermy -- it will be interesting if CW says something about Capers once signed.

Cleft Crusty
05-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Demonstrates McKenzie believes CW can still play.

do we have the details on the contract offer yet?

rbaloha1
05-16-2013, 11:27 AM
do we have the details on the contract offer yet?

Why would an agent release this stuff when he is still negotiating with other teams? Time is on the side of CW.

Cleft Crusty
05-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Why would an agent release this stuff when he is still negotiating with other teams? Time is on the side of CW.

to increase the value of his client, assuming an actual offer exists. I suspect McKenzie is just doing a favor for an old friend and formerly great player, going along with the fiction of a real tryout and real offer. That being said, I can still see a team signing Woodson, much like I thought Driver might get signed last year by a team like Cleveland, had the Packers released him. If you have a depleted roster at a specific position, it can be OK to bring in a totally spent veteran with a lot of experience to be a leader in the locker room, during practice, run a few downs, etc.

rbaloha1
05-16-2013, 11:40 AM
to increase the value of his client, assuming an actual offer exists. I suspect McKenzie is just doing a favor for an old friend and formerly great player, going along with the fiction of a real tryout and real offer. That being said, I can still see a team signing Woodson, much like I thought Driver might get signed last year by a team like Cleveland, had the Packers released him. If you have a depleted roster at a specific position, it can be OK to bring in a totally spent veteran with a lot of experience to be a leader in the locker room, during practice, run a few downs, etc.

This is an expected response from you.

We shall hopefully find out soon about the "fictional" contract.

Tell you what if you win -- I promise you a date with Lenay Kekua:-?

Cleft Crusty
05-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Tell you what if you win -- I promise you a date with Lenay Kekua:-?

She is certainly too young - and too insubstantial - for Cleft Crusty. Note that my heart probably cannot survive extended periods above 50bpm.

rbaloha1
05-16-2013, 11:46 AM
She is certainly too young - and too insubstantial - for Cleft Crusty. Note that my heart probably cannot survive extended periods above 50bpm.

Don't worry -- promise to coach her to go slow and easy. BTW Lenay is in the top 100 of hott:flm:est Maxim women

pbmax
05-16-2013, 11:47 AM

Because that is how they increase offers teams have made, or will make. Contract language (or failing that, a contract demand) leaks for a reason and it isn't because of respect for the media or the public's right to know.

rbaloha1
05-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Because that is how they increase offers teams have made, or will make. Contract language (or failing that, a contract demand) leaks for a reason and it isn't because of respect for the media or the public's right to know.

Good point -- trust CW's agent will get the best offer possible for client whatever methods he desires.

rbaloha1
05-18-2013, 01:31 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/viewart/20130517/PKR01/305170292/Woodson-visit-Raiders-Tuesday

Giants also interested.

Pugger
05-18-2013, 02:41 PM

I suppose Charles would be a good influence in that locker room and that might be the reason why Reggie is bringing him in. If he signs and plays well for somebody in 2013 do we get any compensation? I can't remember...

Bretsky
05-18-2013, 04:06 PM
I suppose Charles would be a good influence in that locker room and that might be the reason why Reggie is bringing him in. If he signs and plays well for somebody in 2013 do we get any compensation? I can't remember...

We released him...no compensation

MadtownPacker
05-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Don't worry -- promise to coach her to go slow and easy. BTW Lenay is in the top 100 of hott:flm:est Maxim womenIs that who is on your avatar?

bobblehead
05-18-2013, 08:27 PM

I'm not convinced he is a good influence. Now I love chuck and his game, but its not for others to emulate. I recall his first season MM was cheesed off because chuck didn't want to do offseason stuff in GB. Granted he always is in shape and is a pro's pro, but example?? I don't buy it unless he has changed since then.

He and Al Harris even made a deal with MM that ONE of them would be available at all OTA's, but virtually never both (unless it was mandatory). Both guys are examples of how to be a pro, but neither one was a real positive influence on the young guys from a "be around the team and work with your coaches" standpoint.

pbmax
05-19-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm not convinced he is a good influence. Now I love chuck and his game, but its not for others to emulate. I recall his first season MM was cheesed off because chuck didn't want to do offseason stuff in GB. Granted he always is in shape and is a pro's pro, but example?? I don't buy it unless he has changed since then.

He and Al Harris even made a deal with MM that ONE of them would be available at all OTA's, but virtually never both (unless it was mandatory). Both guys are examples of how to be a pro, but neither one was a real positive influence on the young guys from a "be around the team and work with your coaches" standpoint.

That was the first public concession he made. He later would turn up for more offseason stuff and McCarthy would return the favor and hold him out of work at times.

At this point, at least with M3, he is probably no more difficult than most vets, plus you get good film study and responsible offseasons.

I would be more concerned with the risk taking on the field as an example for the rest.

Smeefers
05-19-2013, 08:05 AM
I read this in a Vic Ketchman article. He quoted some dude who said "player's play, coaches coach." You don't want a player to be a role model/teacher because it takes away from competition. It can lead to intimidation, the younger guy not wanting to show up the crafty veteran who's taken him under his wing. It's a young man's game, you want young talent to push veterans until they can't justify playing the old experienced guy over the young guy. That's why Woodson is out of green bay, we have three corners that are as good or better than him.

I pretty much agree with that line of thought.

If Oakland doesn't have a guy that's better than him, they should pick him up because he's a better player, not because he can lead a locker room.

bobblehead
05-19-2013, 08:52 AM
That was the first public concession he made. He later would turn up for more offseason stuff and McCarthy would return the favor and hold him out of work at times.

At this point, at least with M3, he is probably no more difficult than most vets, plus you get good film study and responsible offseasons.

I would be more concerned with the risk taking on the field as an example for the rest.

The risk taking was on my mind when I started the post, but I got carried away with the rest. Also, I think the work ethic and being is shape is leading by example...I'm just not sure thats enough in todays NFL.

rbaloha1
05-19-2013, 09:08 AM
I read this in a Vic Ketchman article. He quoted some dude who said "player's play, coaches coach." You don't want a player to be a role model/teacher because it takes away from competition. It can lead to intimidation, the younger guy not wanting to show up the crafty veteran who's taken him under his wing. It's a young man's game, you want young talent to push veterans until they can't justify playing the old experienced guy over the young guy. That's why Woodson is out of green bay, we have three corners that are as good or better than him.

I pretty much agree with that line of thought.

If Oakland doesn't have a guy that's better than him, they should pick him up because he's a better player, not because he can lead a locker room.

CW was moved to safety and is not in GB due to age, contract and not buying into Capers. IMO the best tackler in the secondary and the best secondary player against the run.

A good role model off the field with game prep but a bad role model during the game. Some of CW's "gambling" was due to secondary breakdowns/miscommunications.

Pugger
05-19-2013, 09:19 AM
CW was moved to safety and is not in GB due to age, contract and not buying into Capers. IMO the best tackler in the secondary and the best secondary player against the run.

A good role model off the field with game prep but a bad role model during the game. Some of CW's "gambling" was due to secondary breakdowns/miscommunications.

And loss of speed. He is still a good tackler and plays the run great but he got grabby when trying to cover guys. I know you like to bring up the SF game but he was penalized a lot in other games.

rbaloha1
05-19-2013, 09:27 AM
And loss of speed. He is still a good tackler and plays the run great but he got grabby when trying to cover guys. I know you like to bring up the SF game but he was penalized a lot in other games.

CW and Al Harris were masters of this stuff for years. CW's loss of speed caused him to be more grabby and was flagged for more penalties.

SF game is relevant since it is the most recent body of work.

woodbuck27
05-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Is that who is on your avatar?

Wow ... what a story Mad. Trying to **identify the young lady, 'real or not' in rbaloha1 avatar.

Is to invite yourself into the complicated life of Manti Te'o. His 'love life story' possibly more complicated than trying to uncover the TRUTH in the Brett Favre and Green Bay Packers divorce. When I looked at the Manti Te'o story, I found it difficult to get my head twisted around it.

Not sure if I got this correct?

I discovered that ( possibly !? ) someone named ***Diane O'Meara; her photo is the image of 'the imaginary Manti Te'o online girlfriend'... named Lennay Kekua.

The same 'ficticious' Lennay Kekua, who alledgedly according to Te'o. Had been diagnosed with Leukemia. While fighting this disease was tragically/fatally killed in a car accident. That loss/grief of 'a loving relationship with her' (Lennay Kekua); further complicating the life of Manti Te'o.

A grief compounded for Manti Te'o, as in that same timeframe, Te'o was also grieving the death of his grandmother.

*** Images of a real person named .... Diane O'mera:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=diane+o'meara&hl=en&rlz=1W1ADFA_enCA428&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=h-yYUbKKN6XE0AGUkYCADw&sqi=2&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=800&bih=349

Moses, Jenkins and Aaron. Who could make this stuff up!?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2266491/Manti-Teo-scandal-Fake-girlfriend-Diane-OMeara-slams-hoaxer-identity-theft.html

Manti Te'o (not a Bear, not a Viking) but rather of the San Diego Chargers.

I was hoping he's be in the NFCN but not as a Green Bay Packer. We already have too much drama with Jermichael Finley.

George Cumby
05-19-2013, 10:31 AM

This. CW lost his top gear. He was always physical but the last couple years he was MUGGING guys out there and, IMO, getting away with more than a couple. His leadership will be missed but as Ketchman said (quoting Joe Greene), the team needs Young Lions.

woodbuck27
05-19-2013, 10:34 AM

Cleft... even you can handle her.

http://images.thepostgame.com/sites/default/files/Manti%20te%27o%20maxim2.jpg

All you need is a powerful urge to fantasize.

woodbuck27
05-19-2013, 10:40 AM
http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2013/5/18/4343598/groundswell-to-bring-charles-woodson-back-to-oakland-raiders

Groundswell of support building for Charles Woodson return to Oakland

By Levi Damien ... May 18 2013, 11:39 AM

Since the idea that Charles Woodson might return to the Raiders was first introduced, the excitement has been growing. Now the movement to woo him to come back has become organized.

" Twitter was abuzz with a groundswell of Raider fans preparing to converge on Raiders headquarters on Tuesday in a massive show of support they hope will be impossible for Woodson to deny.
The initial event was scheduled for 2pm but many have discussed noon as when they would arrive. If this event turns out anything near the level of buzz created on Twitter, it should be something to behold." Fr. LINK above

George Cumby
05-19-2013, 02:34 PM
http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2013/5/18/4343598/groundswell-to-bring-charles-woodson-back-to-oakland-raiders

Groundswell of support building for Charles Woodson return to Oakland

By Levi Damien ... May 18 2013, 11:39 AM

Since the idea that Charles Woodson might return to the Raiders was first introduced, the excitement has been growing. Now the movement to woo him to come back has become organized.

" Twitter was abuzz with a groundswell of Raider fans preparing to converge on Raiders headquarters on Tuesday in a massive show of support they hope will be impossible for Woodson to deny.
The initial event was scheduled for 2pm but many have discussed noon as when they would arrive. If this event turns out anything near the level of buzz created on Twitter, it should be something to behold." Fr. LINK above

SMH. The Raider Nation is approaching the threshold of patheticism.

pbmax
05-19-2013, 03:49 PM
I fondly remember how the Fire Ted groundswell of fan support campaign ended.

rbaloha1
05-19-2013, 09:01 PM
SMH. The Raider Nation is approaching the threshold of patheticism.

CW is hardly pathetic -- dude still has gas in the tank as evidenced by the interest. Believe your eyes with CW's recent playoff performances.

rbaloha1
05-19-2013, 09:02 PM
I fondly remember how the Fire Ted groundswell of fan support campaign ended.

Not even in the same football field.

RashanGary
05-19-2013, 10:17 PM
CW, if he was healthy for a full season, probably could play SS pretty well. I highly doubt he could play boundary corner.

Unfortunately, all great players cross the threshold from great to good, good to average and average to below. CW is probably somewhere between average and good as a SS, if he's healthy. We'll probably miss him somewhere between a little and not at all. A little if he's healthy all season, and not at all if he's not. They say it's better to cut ties a year too early than a year too late. That's what we're looking at here. He's at or near the end. Might as well move on. The more likely mistake, if you listen to football people, is hanging on too long.

George Cumby
05-19-2013, 10:54 PM
CW is hardly pathetic -- dude still has gas in the tank as evidenced by the interest. Believe your eyes with CW's recent playoff performances.

I didn't say CW is pathetic. I said the RN is approaching the pathetic. Big difference there.

I do think, however, that he is done. He's lost his wheels and he's now become brittle, which, at age 37, one would expect. It's a young mans game and CW is no longer young.

rbaloha1
05-19-2013, 11:11 PM
I didn't say CW is pathetic. I said the RN is approaching the pathetic. Big difference there.

I do think, however, that he is done. He's lost his wheels and he's now become brittle, which, at age 37, one would expect. It's a young mans game and CW is no longer young.

There are age exceptions and imo CW is one of them.

rbaloha1
05-19-2013, 11:12 PM
CW, if he was healthy for a full season, probably could play SS pretty well. I highly doubt he could play boundary corner.

Unfortunately, all great players cross the threshold from great to good, good to average and average to below. CW is probably somewhere between average and good as a SS, if he's healthy. We'll probably miss him somewhere between a little and not at all. A little if he's healthy all season, and not at all if he's not. They say it's better to cut ties a year too early than a year too late. That's what we're looking at here. He's at or near the end. Might as well move on. The more likely mistake, if you listen to football people, is hanging on too long.

CW was missed last year -- who else is scoring defensive tds like CW?

RashanGary
05-20-2013, 12:53 AM
CW was missed last year -- who else is scoring defensive tds like CW?

CW is 37 years old. 2010 Charles Woodson is never going to play in the NFL again. This is 2013, and we need new great players, just like all teams need to continue to add/develop new, great players. He'll never be the player he was 2, 3, 4 years ago. I'm not sure what you're trying to say about Charles Woodson, but if you think he's going to have some great year with 6/7/8 interceptions let alone defensive touchdowns, I think you're mistaken.

Odds are (age/injury), Charles Woodson will not have a great 2013, no matter where he is.

To put it another way, Casey Hayward has a better chance of being 2010 Charles Woodson than Charles Woodson does. 34 and 37 doesn't sound all that different, but I have a feeling you're going to find out it is very different.

I do hope Woodson has a great year. He's one of my favorite all-time NFLers. I wish the guy the best and think he should play. He seems to love it enough to not quit until he has to.

Pugger
05-20-2013, 09:11 AM
I'm still rather surprised Charles left Denver without signing. One would think a 37 year old player would want a shot at another ring - something Oakland won't be providing in 2013.

rbaloha1
05-20-2013, 09:13 AM
CW is 37 years old. 2010 Charles Woodson is never going to play in the NFL again. This is 2013, and we need new great players, just like all teams need to continue to add/develop new, great players. He'll never be the player he was 2, 3, 4 years ago. I'm not sure what you're trying to say about Charles Woodson, but if you think he's going to have some great year with 6/7/8 interceptions let alone defensive touchdowns, I think you're mistaken.

Odds are (age/injury), Charles Woodson will not have a great 2013, no matter where he is.

To put it another way, Casey Hayward has a better chance of being 2010 Charles Woodson than Charles Woodson does. 34 and 37 doesn't sound all that different, but I have a feeling you're going to find out it is very different.

I do hope Woodson has a great year. He's one of my favorite all-time NFLers. I wish the guy the best and think he should play. He seems to love it enough to not quit until he has to.

Please review my other posts about CW.

CW can still play a certain ROLE for a team as evidenced by the interest from around 5 teams.

NO ONE IN THE PACKER SECONDARY CAN CURRENTLY TACKLE LIKE CW.

Pugger
05-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Please review my other posts about CW.

CW can still play a certain ROLE for a team as evidenced by the interest from around 5 teams.

NO ONE IN THE PACKER SECONDARY CAN CURRENTLY TACKLE LIKE CW.

True, but I wouldn't want him to try to cover a speedy WR or TE. What good is your tackling ability if you can't keep up? :-|

rbaloha1
05-20-2013, 09:31 AM
True, but I wouldn't want him to try to cover a speedy WR or TE. What good is your tackling ability if you can't keep up? :-|

How did he cover Vernon Davis mano to mano?:-D

Again its up to a d-coordinator to maximize strengths and hide weaknesses.

CW can play in the box and keep an offense guessing if he is blitzing, remaining in the box or maybe covering.

denverYooper
05-20-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm still rather surprised Charles left Denver without signing. One would think a 37 year old player would want a shot at another ring - something Oakland won't be providing in 2013.

Denver already has one aging former all-pro corner with declining speed, and he's got a few steps on Wood at this juncture. Wood's wheels are just about gone.

rbaloha1
05-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Denver already has one aging former all-pro corner with declining speed, and he's got a few steps on Wood at this juncture. Wood's wheels are just about gone.

Why is Wood still getting interest?

Other teams understand what CW can do which the board continually dismisses -- THE SPEED IS DIMINISHING -- NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. ALL PLAYERS LOSE SPEED AFTER 30.

pbmax
05-20-2013, 10:01 AM
How did he cover Vernon Davis mano to mano?:-D

How did he do trying to chase and tackle Colin Kapernick?

And this has been pointed out before, Vernon Davis wasn't Vernon Davis with Kaepernick at QB. Alex Smith got hurt in their first St Louis game. Here was Vernon to that point:

Rece Rece Rece Rece Scor Scor
Rk G Date Age Tm Opp Result Rec Yds Y/R TD TD Pts
1 1 2012-09-09 28-222 SFO GNB W 30-22 3 43 14.33 1 1 6
2 2 2012-09-16 28-229 SFO DET W 27-19 5 73 14.60 2 2 12
3 3 2012-09-23 28-236 SFO MIN L 13-24 5 53 10.60 1 1 6
4 4 2012-09-30 28-243 SFO NYJ W 34-0 2 28 14.00 0 0 0
5 5 2012-10-07 28-250 SFO BUF W 45-3 5 106 21.20 0 0 0
6 6 2012-10-14 28-257 SFO NYG L 3-26 3 37 12.33 0 0 0
7 7 2012-10-18 28-261 SFO SEA W 13-6 0 0 0 0 0
8 8 2012-10-29 28-272 SFO ARI W 24-3 2 34 17.00 0 0 0
9 9 2012-11-11 28-285 SFO STL T 24-24 4 30 7.50 0 0 0

In the St. Louis game Smith was hurt in the first half, CK completed 3 passes to Davis for 24 yards. And here was Vernon after CK took over full time.

10 10 2012-11-19 28-293 SFO CHI W 32-7 6 83 13.83 1 1 6
11 11 2012-11-25 28-299 SFO NOR W 31-21 0 0 0 0 0
12 12 2012-12-02 28-306 SFO STL L 13-16 2 15 7.50 0 0 0
13 13 2012-12-09 28-313 SFO MIA W 27-13 1 4 4.00 0 0 0
14 14 2012-12-16 28-320 SFO NWE W 41-34 1 10 10.00 0 0 0
15 15 2012-12-23 28-327 SFO SEA L 13-42 1 27 27.00 0 0 0
16 16 2012-12-30 28-334 SFO ARI W 27-13 1 5 5.00 0 0 0

rbaloha1
05-20-2013, 10:05 AM
How did he do trying to chase and tackle Colin Kapernick?

HOW DID THE YOUNG PACKERS DO CHASING CK?:grin:

And this has been pointed out before, Vernon Davis wasn't Vernon Davis with Kaepernick at QB. Alex Smith got hurt in their first St Louis game. Here was Vernon to that point:

Rece Rece Rece Rece Scor Scor
Rk G Date Age Tm Opp Result Rec Yds Y/R TD TD Pts
1 1 2012-09-09 28-222 SFO GNB W 30-22 3 43 14.33 1 1 6
2 2 2012-09-16 28-229 SFO DET W 27-19 5 73 14.60 2 2 12
3 3 2012-09-23 28-236 SFO MIN L 13-24 5 53 10.60 1 1 6
4 4 2012-09-30 28-243 SFO NYJ W 34-0 2 28 14.00 0 0 0
5 5 2012-10-07 28-250 SFO BUF W 45-3 5 106 21.20 0 0 0
6 6 2012-10-14 28-257 SFO NYG L 3-26 3 37 12.33 0 0 0
7 7 2012-10-18 28-261 SFO SEA W 13-6 0 0 0 0 0
8 8 2012-10-29 28-272 SFO ARI W 24-3 2 34 17.00 0 0 0
9 9 2012-11-11 28-285 SFO STL T 24-24 4 30 7.50 0 0 0

In the St. Louis game Smith was hurt in the first half, CK completed 3 passes to Davis for 24 yards. And here was Vernon after CK took over full time.

10 10 2012-11-19 28-293 SFO CHI W 32-7 6 83 13.83 1 1 6
11 11 2012-11-25 28-299 SFO NOR W 31-21 0 0 0 0 0
12 12 2012-12-02 28-306 SFO STL L 13-16 2 15 7.50 0 0 0
13 13 2012-12-09 28-313 SFO MIA W 27-13 1 4 4.00 0 0 0
14 14 2012-12-16 28-320 SFO NWE W 41-34 1 10 10.00 0 0 0
15 15 2012-12-23 28-327 SFO SEA L 13-42 1 27 27.00 0 0 0
16 16 2012-12-30 28-334 SFO ARI W 27-13 1 5 5.00 0 0 0

IF VD WAS OPEN CK WOULD HAVE FOUND HIM:no:

rbaloha1
05-20-2013, 10:07 AM
WHY ARE NFL TEAMS STILL INTERESTED IN SIR CHARLES WOODSON???:smile:

pbmax
05-20-2013, 10:17 AM
That is Vernon Davis going from averaging just over 3 catches and just under 45 yards per game (3.2/44.89) to averaging one and one half catch and 21 yards per game (1/7/20.5).

Those numbers would be far worse except for the anomaly of the Bears game where a League best pass defense, including #1 versus TEs was pillaged by the 49ers. Clearly there was little film on a CK led attack and the Bears did not know how to react. The result was Davis perhaps having the best pass catching day of the entire year against the Bears D.

If Woodson was in coverage for Davis' one catch in the playoff game, he gave up the second most yards to that point, bested only by the Bears game.

pbmax
05-20-2013, 10:19 AM
[FO]WHY ARE NFL TEAMS STILL INTERESTED IN SIR CHARLES WOODSON???[/FONT]:smile:

They seem not to be, judging by the lack of a contract offer. His agents haven't even leaked one.

rbaloha1
05-20-2013, 10:25 AM
That is Vernon Davis going from averaging just over 3 catches and just under 45 yards per game (3.2/44.89) to averaging one and one half catch and 21 yards per game (1/7/20.5).

Those numbers would be far worse except for the anomaly of the Bears game where a League best pass defense, including #1 versus TEs was pillaged by the 49ers. Clearly there was little film on a CK led attack and the Bears did not know how to react. The result was Davis perhaps having the best pass catching day of the entire year against the Bears D.

If Woodson was in coverage for Davis' one catch in the playoff game, he gave up the second most yards to that point, bested only by the Bears game.

OBVIOUSLY NFL PEOPLE DO NOT USE YOUR CRITERIA FOR EVALUATING CHARLES WOODSON. CHECK THE FILM BROTHER AND DO NOT RELY ON TWIT STATS THAT ONLY QUELL YOUR MIND.

rbaloha1
05-20-2013, 10:26 AM
They seem not to be, judging by the lack of a contract offer. His agents haven't even leaked one.

OBVIOUSLY NFL PEOPLE DO NOT USE YOUR CRITERIA FOR EVALUATING CHARLES WOODSON. CHECK THE FILM BROTHER AND DO NOT RELY ON TWIT STATS THAT ONLY QUELL YOUR MIND.

R U IN THE NEGOTIATING ROOM?

RashanGary
05-20-2013, 11:25 AM
rhalohla1,

There are a lot of people here with respected football opinions. PB is one of them. You are not. Whether or not he's in the negotiating room is irrelevant. We have almost a decade of talking football with PB under our belts and we trust what he says because he's proven himself in this arena. You haven't. Welcome to reality.

rbaloha1
05-20-2013, 11:29 AM
rhalohla1,

There are a lot of people here with respected football opinions. PB is one of them. You are not. Whether or not he's in the negotiating room is irrelevant. We have almost a decade of talking football with PB under our belts and we trust what he says because he's proven himself in this arena. You haven't. Welcome to reality.

Who cares what you say anyway? A legend in your mind.

NOTHING TO PROVE BROTHER

Smeefers
05-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Haha, when RB keeps saying brother it reminds me of south park.

Don't call me friend, pal
Dont call me pal, bub.
Don't call me bub, friend.

Bretsky
05-20-2013, 06:48 PM
A part of me hopes C Woodson goes to sign in Denver, where he'd be a bit of a luxury, and then he goes and wins it all with Monte Ball
The wrong thing to do would be to sign with a somebody like the Raiders; he's not the player he once was and he won't win much if anything with the Raiders

Cleft Crusty
05-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Clefty enjoys the ALL CAPS posts with enlarged letters for easy reading. I don't even need my bifocals.

rbaloha1
05-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Clefty enjoys the ALL CAPS posts with enlarged letters for easy reading. I don't even need my bifocals.

I am here to help brother.:worship:

woodbuck27
05-20-2013, 09:17 PM

Relief for tired eyes.

Why doesn't everyone do it?

I make a motion. It's larger font not paint.

woodbuck27
05-20-2013, 09:19 PM
A part of me hopes C Woodson goes to sign in Denver, where he'd be a bit of a luxury, and then he goes and wins it all with Monte Ball
The wrong thing to do would be to sign with a somebody like the Raiders; he's not the player he once was and he won't win much if anything with the Raiders

Yes the ideal break for Charles Woodson would be a deal with the Broncos.

Pugger
05-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Who cares what you say anyway? A legend in your mind.

NOTHING TO PROVE BROTHER

Evidently you DO because you keep responding to folks in this thread in huge caps.

Pugger
05-21-2013, 12:26 AM
Yes the ideal break for Charles Woodson would be a deal with the Broncos.

I still find it incredible Charles left Denver without signing a contract - if indeed they offered him one. if so Sir Charles is more interested in one last big pay day instead of a chance at another ring.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Manning gave him an endorsement:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/20/peyton-manning-charles-woodson-would-be-a-great-addition/

Also, fantastic image in that article (from L-R: Moss, Woodson, Manning, Leaf)

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/peytonwoodson.jpg

Guiness
05-21-2013, 09:14 PM
PFT is breaking the news that Chuck ends up back in Oakland.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/21/charles-woodson-returns-to-the-raiders/
and it's not a one day retirement contract. His hope to play for a contender didn't pan out at all. I hope he doesn't embarrass himself this coming year. I wasn't so sure he was done when he was first released, but the lack of any interest whatsoever around the league told me that all the eyes that mattered thought he was.

For what it's worth, the fans there really wanted him

rbaloha1
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
:no:So much for the board condemnation and silly stats.:no:

RashanGary
05-21-2013, 09:45 PM

You always root for players who leave the Packers. You bastard :) :)

Joemailman
05-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Also, fantastic image in that article (from L-R: Moss, Woodson, Manning, Leaf)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxfZbj5vf7Y

Tony Oday
05-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Wow thats like getting signed by the Redskins...you know your career is over...

Cleft Crusty
05-21-2013, 10:29 PM
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/455_john_unitas_football_ca.jpg

Fritz
05-22-2013, 06:44 AM
He just couldn't let it go. Too bad. Back in his time, he was great. At that time considered better, far better, than Starr. I don't know for certain what the historians think now, but Starr seems to have crept up in their view.

pbmax
05-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Wow, Reggie opened up the bank vault for him. Did he even have another offer? Its about $1.2 mil more than I thought he would get.

http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=22141&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

One year deal, $700,000 base, $1.3 salary and incentives that could total $2.3 million according to the agent.

pbmax
05-22-2013, 08:57 AM
On Woodson signing with the Packers:

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt 25m
Woodson recruitment in GB was very direct and honest. I was asked "Any black people live up there?" Said "Some, but not many."
Retweeted by Tom Oates

I wonder how many FA visits (or non-visits) that sums up for Green Bay?

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Wow, Reggie opened up the bank vault for him. Did he even have another offer? Its about $1.2 mil more than I thought he would get.

http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=22141&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

One year deal, $700,000 base, $1.3 salary and incentives that could total $2.3 million according to the agent.

It is a total of $4.3 million. Shows the market was bigger for CW than some thought.

Tape does not lie.

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 10:36 AM
On Woodson signing with the Packers:

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt 25m
Woodson recruitment in GB was very direct and honest. I was asked "Any black people live up there?" Said "Some, but not many."
Retweeted by Tom Oates

I wonder how many FA visits (or non-visits) that sums up for Green Bay?

Non issue since willie buchanon.

pbmax
05-22-2013, 10:44 AM
It is a total of $4.3 million. Shows the market was bigger for CW than some thought.

Tape does not lie.

Perhaps not but you can still mis-interpret. 2.3 million of that is incentives and you have no idea if he will get them.

3irty1
05-22-2013, 10:50 AM
According to Spotrac the details are:
Base: 940k
Signing Bonus: 700k
LTBE Incentives: 160k
Cap hit: 1.8M
NLTBE Incentives: 2.5M

NLTBE stands for "Not Likely To Be Earned." The tape does not lie. He makes less than Jarrett Bush.

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Perhaps not but you can still mis-interpret. 2.3 million of that is incentives and you have no idea if he will get them.

No misinterpret -- RM was around when people doubted CW in 2006. TT got the most out of CW through an incentive laden contract.

YOU ALSO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CW WILL GET.

CW is guaranteed $2 million -- not bad for what some people claimed for a washed up player.

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 11:00 AM

NLTBE stands for "Not Likely To Be Earned." The tape does not lie. He makes less than Jarrett Bush.

What his age?

Jarrett Bush makes more than Sam Shields.

How much do you earn?

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 11:01 AM

NLTBE stands for "Not Likely To Be Earned." The tape does lie when you are on DRUGS. He makes less than Jarrett Bush.

Corrected

3irty1
05-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Sam Shield is on a RFA tender after a UDFA contract. Like anyone on a first contract, he has not yet been given a chance to test the market. Bush and Woodson both have.

pbmax
05-22-2013, 11:08 AM
He is currently guaranteed $700,000. If he is on the roster in Week 1, his guaranteed jumps to $1.6 mil.

Still more than I thought by a factor of 2.

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Sam Shield is on a RFA tender after a UDFA contract. Like anyone on a first contract, he has not yet been given a chance to test the market. Bush and Woodson both have.

Blah Blah Blah

3irty1
05-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Don't think Bob McGinn himself could peddle this narrative of yours rbaloha1.

3irty1
05-22-2013, 11:16 AM
He is currently guaranteed $700,000. If he is on the roster in Week 1, his guaranteed jumps to $1.6 mil.

He's worth that in Jersey sales.

pbmax
05-22-2013, 11:20 AM

That's true. Champ Bailey was incredulous Woodson selected the Raiders. I wonder if he was just giving grief or if he knew Wood had an offer.

Wonder what the difference was, because Woodson made it sound like he could not resist going back to Oakland.

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Don't think Bob McGinn himself could peddle this narrative of yours rbaloha1.

McGinn is god.

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 11:22 AM

Keep doubting CW and learn about video objectivity.

BTW can I send you a new CW jersey?

3irty1
05-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Sure you can, I love Woodson. Awesome player who has accomplished everything you can accomplish at every level of football. Heisman, National Chamionship, DPOY, Super Bowl. That's one hell of a career.

There is more reason to be excited about his post playing career though. That smooth baritone voice of his is going to be a welcome addition to the announcing booth and he already makes a solid cabernet. In fact why don't you send me a bottle of that instead.

ThunderDan
05-22-2013, 11:48 AM
What his age?

How much do you earn?

Another reason not to engage with RB.

Cleft Crusty
05-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Woodson made it sound like he could not resist going back to Oakland.

Russian River wineries are where it's at

Patler
05-22-2013, 12:38 PM

Only if $1.78 million is more than $2.02 million.

Zool
05-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Only if $1.78 million is more than $2.02 million.

Math is hard.

Patler
05-22-2013, 01:17 PM

The $940,000 salary is the minimum salary required for a 10 year player in 2013. They couldn't pay him any less.

LTBE bonus of $160,000 - looks suspiciously like $10k/game that he is on the active roster.

NLTBE bonus - not sure what that might include, but based on those things considered to be "likely", it's doubtful he will ever see any of this.

A "split contract" (700k/940k) is unusual for a veteran, but is being used more and more frequently now. Or is the $700 k a true signing bonus and not a split salary?

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Another reason not to engage with RB.

Only making a correction.

BTW what would have happened if articles existed that CW is receiving no interest because of the reasons this thread outlined? Guess what the bws would have been twitting?

Its about what CW can do not what CW can't do...obviously.

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Math is hard.

Another brain fart -- okay ss is $24K better than jarrett bush.

JB still makes more money than much better secondary players.

Zool
05-22-2013, 03:18 PM

Math is still hard.

Upnorth
05-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Math is still hard.

Maybe if it was in a bigger font it would be easier... :huh:

Fritz
05-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Facts - they're so irrelevant.

run pMc
05-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Not to nitpick (ok, I'm nitpicking), but it's $240K more.
JB makes more than Hayward, who is a better CB...but ST aces can make a decent living in the NFL.
IIRC the Titans made him an offer and TT either matched or made a better offer.
My guess is Micah Hyde was drafted to press Bush for a roster spot, especially on ST.

3irty1
05-22-2013, 03:48 PM
JB makes more than Hayward, who is a better CB...but ST aces can make a decent living in the NFL.
My guess is Micah Hyde was drafted to press Bush for a roster spot, especially on ST.

That and you can't compare the value of a guy on his first contract and a guy who has actually hit the open market. Not even if you use big bold font. Not even if you just read "blah blah blah" when someone points out the stupidity of it.

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 04:10 PM

The brain farting continues...:neutral:

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 04:11 PM

Yup just like Justin Smith weighing 270lbs.

denverYooper
05-22-2013, 04:31 PM

Now we're getting to the heart of the matter.

rbaloha1
05-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Now we're getting to the heart of the matter.

As you have clearly demonstrated with your bogus weight stuff.:?:

woodbuck27
05-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Math is hard.

:smile:

woodbuck27
05-22-2013, 10:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/58650/woodson-fans-response-overwhelming

Woodson: Fans' response 'overwhelming'

May, 22, 2013
May 22 ...9:02 PM ET

By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com

ALAMEDA, Calif.

" Charles Woodson had gotten word that Oakland fans had mobilized through social media to hold a rally at his free-agent visit to the Raiders.

Even Woodson was blown away by the reception, which included more than a hundred fans decked out in Raiders gear and costumes waiting at the team facility for his arrival Tuesday.

"It was overwhelming," he said Wednesday. "I think that if at any time I'd ever forgotten what the love was like in Oakland, I was definitely reminded yesterday." ..." Fr. LINK

woodbuck27
05-23-2013, 10:40 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/23/4358820/charles-woodson-oakland-raiders-return

Charles Woodson talks returning to Raiders, role in Oakland

By: Griffin Gotta on May 23 2013, 10:39a  @griffingotta

"Charles Woodson is going back to where it all began, agreeing to a one-year deal with the team that drafted him, the Oakland Raiders, on Tuesday. After being released by the Green Bay Packers in February, Woodson, 36, received a hero's welcome from Raider Nation at the team's facility in his official return." Fr. LINK

woodbuck27
05-23-2013, 04:23 PM
http://www.footballperspective.com/charles-woodson-returns-to-oakland-now-where-does-he-rank/

Charles Woodson Returns To Oakland: Now Where Does He Rank?

By: Chase Stuart on May 23, 2013

In History

"Charles Woodson is back in Silver and Black. Woodson was drafted by Oakland with the 4th pick in the 1998 Draft and had a very good eight-year run with the Raiders. But he saw experienced even more success with the Packers, and the two biggest highlights of his career — winning the AP Defensive Player of the Year Award in 2009 and Super Bowl XLV — came during his time in Green Bay. Woodson has had a star-studded career, beating Peyton Manning for the Heisman Trophy in 1997 and being selected to eight Pro Bowls in fifteen years in the NFL.

Now the real question? Where does Woodson rank among players who returned to their original team?" From LINK above