PDA

View Full Version : Packer Rats Fold@Home

Partial
08-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Any of you guys involved with the Fold@Home project Stanford has? If not, we should create a team here.

The jist of it is when you are away from your computer and it is idling, your computer acts as one of millions of a computer as a cluster to process protein calculations to cure diseases and better the world. It's a really good program, and if anyone is interested in forming a Packer Rats team, reply in the thread!

SkinBasket
08-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Poop, I got tired of SETI@home, I'll do this.

mraynrand
08-23-2006, 09:28 PM
You guys should sign up. It takes a lot of computing power to enumerate Hamiltonian walks on a cubic sublattice.

woodbuck27
08-24-2006, 08:08 AM
Here's a link:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

SkinBasket
08-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Here's a link:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Someone gonna start a PR team or what?

SkinBasket
08-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Fine. I started the goddamn team.

Team number is 51334.

Team name: PackerRats

Lazy bastards.

Tony Oday
08-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Ok for us tech idiots, me number one here, how and what does this do? Does it affect you at all when you use the computer?

SkinBasket
08-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Ok for us tech idiots, me number one here, how and what does this do? Does it affect you at all when you use the computer?

Essentially it uses your computer when you're not to help process enormous amouts of data. Your machine recieves a packet of data, the client software processes the data, then sends the results back. You can set the client to use less or all of your slack CPU, or you can set it to only run during screen saver (in other words, when you're not using your machine). Running it, I haven't had a noticable slow down to any applications, if thats a concern.

You simply download the small client software, install, select a user name and team if you want to be on one, select how you want it to run, and away it goes. Then you can brag to all your lady friends about how you're helping eliminate suffering in the world.

Tony Oday
08-24-2006, 11:32 AM
My wife gets mad when I brag to my lady friends ;) hehe so does it affect your computer security?

SkinBasket
08-24-2006, 02:22 PM
My wife gets mad when I brag to my lady friends ;) hehe so does it affect your computer security?

If it did, I don't think projects like this and SETI@home wouldn't exist. As far as the port it uses to receive and send the data, it's just as dangerous as playing a game on-line as far as I can tell.

SkinBasket
08-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Am I the only MFer interested in saving the world? Jesus Partial, this was your idea, how about some help here you half a butt puppet.