PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Camp News

pbmax
05-11-2013, 11:04 AM
I am sure it has another, more formal name but it cannot possibly be a better descriptive than Rookie Camp.

And just to keep everyone on the same page, Rookie Camp is when we fall in love with the undrafteds and tryouts for the first time and then cannot believe T2 and M3 are so dunderheaded when they don't bring them to camp. Clearly several of these players are better than the draft picks and will likely end up starting by Week 4.

pbmax
05-11-2013, 11:09 AM
The new narrative: Packers did not get bigger perhaps, but they got more athletic, specifically, basketball athletic. Perhaps the 49ers game was not simply an indictment of the D line but of overall team speed and athleticism?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packer-rookies-bring-basketball-backgrounds-to-the-field-tg9tgrb-207024061.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Datone Jones (DE), JC Tretter (OL), Charles Johnson (WR), Micah Hyde (CB) and Nate Palmer (OLB) fall into this group.

Iron Mike
05-11-2013, 11:21 AM
The new narrative: Packers did not get bigger perhaps, but they got more athletic, specifically, basketball athletic. Perhaps the 49ers game was not simply an indictment of the D line but of overall team speed and athleticism?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packer-rookies-bring-basketball-backgrounds-to-the-field-tg9tgrb-207024061.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Datone Jones (DE), JC Tretter (OL), Charles Johnson (WR), Micah Hyde (CB) and Nate Palmer (OLB) fall into this group.

From now on, refer to him as "Napalm," plz. :)

pbmax
05-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Running Back review, Angelo Pease makes the run of the day. Franklin did nothing spectacular and Lacy dropped a swing pass and tripped over a TE.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/free-agent-back-pease-draws-notice-at-packers-camp-tg9tgrm-207019151.html

Tyrone Walker, WR from Illinois State stood out at WR and fielding punts.

Illinois State and Greendale native Ben Ericksen had agreed to sign with the Packers as an undrafted free agent, but it appears a medical issue resulted in the team not signing him.

Patler
05-11-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm getting dizzy from the spin.............

gbgary
05-11-2013, 11:26 AM
From now on, refer to him as "Napalm," plz. :)

would be a great nickname.

pbmax
05-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Jones is at 285 and feels comfortable there in the NFL. Charles Johnson likes the post route and screens, but ran more traditional routes while at Eastern Kentucky for a year (he's prepared!). Micah Hyde said they ran more Cover 2 at Iowa but so far he has been familiar with the Packer coverage calls they covered.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/207023421.html

Here is the list of tryout players at this minicamp. One UDFA was not signed due to a medical issue.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/207009521.html

pbmax
05-11-2013, 11:38 AM
McCarthy reviews Rookie Camp and finds that BJ Coleman was a level above the rest. Lacy had some missteps but was smooth running which is what they saw on the Alabama tape. 40-50% of this camp is orientation (this is a Muskie; this is a Northern Pike) and the other 50-60% is football. Franklin will get a chance to catch punts though he hasn't in this camp. Jones terminology was same with Nike Nolan's defense as it is with Capers.

Schedule different this year, veterans are n town and had practice with them in morning. That must make for a busy day.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/206998251.html

pbmax
05-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Its Dougherty versus McGinn, Green Bay versus Milwaukee. Athletic (and TALL) versus Bigger, Stronger and Harder. The 49er game taught the Packers something but everyone is confused about what the lesson was. Low pad level always helps though.

http://www.packersnews.com/proart/20130510/pkr01/305100418/jones-should-great-fit-against-read-option-scrambling-quarterbacks?pagerestricted=1

Here is a picture of the taller, longer, stronger, heavier, faster, mobile-lier, laterally quicker, knee-bender and tougher Datone Jones.

http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20130510&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=305100418&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Jones-should-great-fit-against-read-option-scrambling-quarterbacks

Frankly, the fact that Dougherty asserts that Jones was draft to help CHASE quarterbacks like Kapernick makes me think Dougherty has been sniffing glue. His position coach at UCLA* is quoted in the article as praising Jones' talents in helping UCLA defend the spread option attacks they faced in the Pac10, but he values his penetration and disruption, not his pursuit of read option QBs going wide. Ignoring Pete and taking the position coach at his word, you might be able to construct a vision of a defender who will help to disrupt Kapernick's pocket and then be fast and mobile enough to corral him before he escapes.

Which would make Jones's contribution to anti-49er defense the ability to keep CK from scrambling from the pocket for big gains, which were the biggest problems in the first half.

* I thought the coach was sniffing glue with Pete because while UCLA gets to face Oregon's spread offense, there aren't TOO many read option or pistol attacks in the Pac 10. But he specifies read options they faced: Houston, Nebraska and Arizona St. But my point holds, Jones was a backfield disrupter here not a chaser.

woodbuck27
05-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Running Back review, Angelo Pease makes the run of the day. Franklin did nothing spectacular and Lacy dropped a swing pass and tripped over a TE.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/free-agent-back-pease-draws-notice-at-packers-camp-tg9tgrm-207019151.html

Tyrone Walker, WR from Illinois State stood out at WR and fielding punts.

Obviously RB Angelo Pease is the man to look to at RB.

Maybe TT can trade either Eddie 'Not Too Fast' Lacy or Johnathan 'better as a Mayor' Franklin.

In exchange find a decent safety to pair up with Morgan Burnett; to challenge and elevate his game!? Toss our exalted TE Jermichael Finley in the mix, and get rid of that problem child.

Get errrr done TT!

packers >>>PACKERS !

pbmax
05-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 14h
Hate to make too much out of one practice but thought Myles White and Stoneburner had strong days.

woodbuck27
05-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Its Dougherty versus McGinn, Green Bay versus Milwaukee. Athletic (and TALL) versus Bigger, Stronger and Harder. The 49er game taught the Packers something but everyone is confused about what the lesson was. Low pad level always helps though.

http://www.packersnews.com/proart/20130510/pkr01/305100418/jones-should-great-fit-against-read-option-scrambling-quarterbacks?pagerestricted=1

Here is a picture of the taller, longer, stronger, heavier, faster, mobile-lier, laterally quicker, knee-bender and tougher Datone Jones.

http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20130510&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=305100418&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Jones-should-great-fit-against-read-option-scrambling-quarterbacks

Frankly, the fact that Dougherty asserts that Jones was draft to help CHASE quarterbacks like Kapernick makes me think Dougherty has been sniffing glue. His position coach at UCLA* is quoted in the article as praising Jones' talents in helping UCLA defend the spread option attacks they faced in the Pac10, but he values his penetration and disruption, not his pursuit of read option QBs going wide. Ignoring Pete and taking the position coach at his word, you might be able to construct a vision of a defender who will help to disrupt Kapernick's pocket and then be fast and mobile enough to corral him before he escapes.

Which would make Jones's contribution to anti-49er defense the ability to keep CK from scrambling from the pocket for big gains, which were the biggest problems in the first half.

* I thought the coach was sniffing glue with Pete because while UCLA gets to face Oregon's spread offense, there aren't TOO many read option or pistol attacks in the Pac 10. But he specifies read options they faced: Houston, Nebraska and Arizona St. But my point holds, Jones was a backfield disrupter here not a chaser.

Now please...don't get the wrong idea lads... but even I'm impressed !

The girls are screamin' >>> Take off your shirt Datone !!

pbmax
05-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 15h
#Packers practice: Eddie Lacy is a large RB. Charles Johnson a natural athlete. Sederrick Cunningham made some plays. It's May 10th.

swede
05-11-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm getting sick of hearing about Kapernick as if everything, everything we have done is meant to counter Tat-boy and nothing else.

pbmax
05-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 19h
The first OL group, from left to right, is: Bakhtiari, Datko, Gerhart, Taylor, Tretter. Gerhart was p. squad last yr. Taylor a rookie UDFA.

But McCarthy says they did not work on position specific work on first day. Players will be moving.

pbmax
05-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 19h
#Packers Nos.: Jones 95, Lacy 27, Bakhtiari 69, Tretter 73, Franklin 23, Hyde 33, Boyd 93, Palmer 51, Johnson 17, Dorsey 16, Barrington 58.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 20h
All told, 57 players are here with 27 on tryouts. As @RobDemovsky reported no Ben Erickson from Illinois St/Greendale

You want to know who "looked" the part in their first action on the field? It was either Charles Johnson or Datone according to reporters Twitter accounts.

rbaloha1
05-11-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm getting sick of hearing about Kapernick as if everything, everything we have done is meant to counter Tat-boy and nothing else.

CK is not Tim Tebow. Dude can throw from the pocket if teams control spread option attack.

rbaloha1
05-11-2013, 01:13 PM
:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::b ang::bang::shock:The continual knit picking does not warrant any responses.

Iron Mike
05-11-2013, 01:24 PM
would be a great nickname.

OK, here's today's napalm bomb:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/LB-Nate-Palmer-is-open-to-position-changes/f0fc2e5c-dfb6-47b4-aae3-98084c7ec461

bobblehead
05-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Ok, going out on a limb here. Just appearances from my perspective. I think Datone looks more like an OLB than Perry and Perry looks more like a DE.

rbaloha1
05-11-2013, 01:43 PM
More expert analysis than the NFL network -- oops I mean Comedy Channel:-)

pbmax
05-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Ok, going out on a limb here. Just appearances from my perspective. I think Datone looks more like an OLB than Perry and Perry looks more like a DE.

His height is playing with your mind. He's 15 pounds heavier at one inch taller. Must be in his legs.

Or could be the lack of even shells. Best pics of Perry I remember were camp shots of him and Matthews together in training camp.

rbaloha1
05-11-2013, 01:57 PM
His height is playing with your mind. He's 15 pounds heavier at one inch taller. Must be in his legs.

Or could be the lack of even shells. Best pics of Perry I remember were camp shots of him and Matthews together in training camp.

DJ certainly needs thicker legs. Gained 100 lbs since high school.

wist43
05-11-2013, 02:12 PM

Jones has a great first first step, very quick off the snap, but he's not natural in space. He has to play with his hand on the ground. Perry's not natural in space either, but he's shorter and little more athletic.

I'm liking the idea of Jones and Perry together on the left side... be interesting to see how Capers screws it up.

Cleft Crusty
05-11-2013, 02:20 PM
The pressure on Datone Jones cannot even be measured with existing instruments. Not only is he expected to rush the passer and hold the edge, but he will be expected to replace Woodson in the "W" role from time to time. Also, apparently, the coaches are going to incorporate him as a TE on some running downs - 3rd and short, both for run blocking as well as catching simple passes in the flat - on the same play. ST coaches want him to replacing Ross as a punt returner on critical punts - all to compensate for defects made glaring in the loss to the 49ers. Good luck Datrone! (Note added in proof: after talking to coaches, Clefty can report that currently there are no plans for him to play at left tackle)

Carolina_Packer
05-11-2013, 02:29 PM
My first impression of the kid being interviewed is that I like him. He seems amiable. Check out this interview with Mike Spofford:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Exclusive-video-chat-with-DE-Datone-Jones/ac1f8117-b988-4bc2-892f-16ab9e413d99

KYPack
05-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Somebody post positive stories about Jones, even if they are bullshit.

I need some positive re-enforcement on him bad.

I'm scared to death that the kid is a tweener and it will take , like, 2-3 years for him to find his way.

That, & like Clefty says, they are putting too many scoops on his plate.

swede
05-11-2013, 02:54 PM

I'm scared to death that the kid is a tweener and it will take , like, 2-3 years for him to find his way.

I hated on the guy badly before the draft. I thought he was disruptive but could be handled in the same way a rodeo clown handles a bull: let him charge into the space in which he does no harm. Between what I saw before and what I've seen since, I think this kid is going to be very difficult to keep out of anybody's backfield. I guess the question is whether or not the Packer's want him to be the guy who rips into the backfield on every play, or do they want him to settle down, control gaps, set an edge, and play with scheme discipline. Boy, if they want the kid to be in the backfield he knows how to get there...at about the three minute mark he is by his guy before the big shmoe can even get out of his stance. Datone is sudden. Later he battles Fisher to a draw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpjCaXaPm1A

ps Brandon Williams gets pancaked at about 40 sec in...heh heh.

pbmax
05-11-2013, 03:11 PM
The pressure on Datone Jones cannot even be measured with existing instruments. Not only is he expected to rush the passer and hold the edge, but he will be expected to replace Woodson in the "W" role from time to time. Also, apparently, the coaches are going to incorporate him as a TE on some running downs - 3rd and short, both for run blocking as well as catching simple passes in the flat - on the same play. ST coaches want him to replacing Ross as a punt returner on critical punts - all to compensate for defects made glaring in the loss to the 49ers. Good luck Datrone! (Note added in proof: after talking to coaches, Clefty can report that currently there are no plans for him to play at left tackle)

You need a serious wingspan to rush the passer and set the edge. Good thing he has the wingspan of a Pteranodon at 7' 3 5/8".

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-11-2013, 03:42 PM
I hated on the guy badly before the draft. I thought he was disruptive but could be handled in the same way a rodeo clown handles a bull: let him charge into the space in which he does no harm. Between what I saw before and what I've seen since, I think this kid is going to be very difficult to keep out of anybody's backfield. I guess the question is whether or not the Packer's want him to be the guy who rips into the backfield on every play, or do they want him to settle down, control gaps, set an edge, and play with scheme discipline. Boy, if they want the kid to be in the backfield he knows how to get there...at about the three minute mark he is by his guy before the big shmoe can even get out of his stance. Datone is sudden. Later he battles Fisher to a draw.

3:20

7:35

11:55

15:32

19:45

39:05

rbaloha1
05-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Excellent post. DJ was drafted due to the versatility you described.

Appears to be able to hold the edge or shoot the gap when required. On the other hand, Wilson just offers stalemates.

bobblehead
05-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Jones has a great first first step, very quick off the snap,.

This is the reason I say it besides the "look". When the pack drafted perry and they showed the highlight film I thought he looked sluggish and plodding....like a 3-4 end. Jones looks explosive and athletic to me.

I realize that ted is better at pegging guys than I am, and I am all for big DL that move like LB's, but not so much for big LB's that move like DL.

This is strictly my impression based off of about 10 plays of film on each...no way a prediction or anything like that.

RashanGary
05-11-2013, 06:32 PM
This is the reason I say it besides the "look". When the pack drafted perry and they showed the highlight film I thought he looked sluggish and plodding....like a 3-4 end. Jones looks explosive and athletic to me.

I thought so too. They showed some clips of him doing lateral drills and drills on his feet. He looked more agile to me than Perry as well.

For kicks and giggles, I looked up his combine 3-cone and shuttle. His shuttle is a good notch better than Perry's, his 3-cone almost the same. Perry is definitely more plodding IMO. He's a straight ahead player. Everything is going to play off his straight bull rush. I think Perry can defiinitely set the edge and expand on that bull rush. The problem is, Matthews is our BEST player, and if Perry is as disgusting in space as he looks, that will mean Matthews has to do more of it out of our base looks. Jones, on the other hand, is an athlete. I think he could do just about anything, honestly. He's a big guy who can get bigger, but he's also an athlete who can play in space.

RashanGary
05-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Since we play more of a 2-4 nickle defense anyway, Perry is going to be lining up more as a stand up DE than a LB anyway. Might be perfect for him.

Old School
05-11-2013, 07:35 PM
I wanted them to let Charles Johnson keep his college number - #4.

pbmax
05-11-2013, 07:38 PM
They had so many bodies they handed out Hornung (5) and Lambeau's (1) numbers for this camp.

pbmax
05-11-2013, 07:43 PM
I thought so too. They showed some clips of him doing lateral drills and drills on his feet. He looked more agile to me than Perry as well.

For kicks and giggles, I looked up his combine 3-cone and shuttle. His shuttle is a good notch better than Perry's, his 3-cone almost the same. Perry is definitely more plodding IMO. He's a straight ahead player. Everything is going to play off his straight bull rush.

Well post the numbers for Pete's sake. Or the website.

Matthews and Perry don't cover out of base by choice. The offense dictates that by where it puts receivers against the base. The 49ers put the FB or TE out wide and stuck a WR in the slot for Perry to cover. The usual adjustment to this is to send the OLB out wide to keep like v like OR to give the LB an especially simply zone task.

Perry was a rookie and they probably did not have many adjustments off that look in for him. It will be better this year with another offseason to learn and prepare.

OS PA
05-11-2013, 08:00 PM
They had so many bodies they handed out Hornung (5) and Lambeau's (1) numbers for this camp.

I wish we would do what some other teams do, and not hand out jerseys until they've proved themselves and made the team. We could just have them wear generic jerseys with position and number. No names, no G.

hoosier
05-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Did Mike Neal give up #95 or are there two of them running around out there?

Bretsky
05-11-2013, 09:04 PM
I can tell you what happened in the Ravens Camp
Listed to Ravens rep on NFL Network
The one guy who shocked them with off the chart skills was Brandon Williams
They loved him coming out and pondered using the pick before on him
But he said he looked way better with both his first step and power than even they expected

It's a good thing we have all this advanced DL talent and had no need for the guy

Carolina_Packer
05-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Did Mike Neal give up #95 or are there two of them running around out there?

Neal is #96

HarveyWallbangers
05-11-2013, 11:04 PM
But he said he looked way better with both his first step and power than even they expected

It's a good thing we have all this advanced DL talent and had no need for the guy

Yes, because a good first day at rookie camp means the guy is going to be brilliant. Make room for Angelo Pease on the Packers roster.

I want you to list all of the players you wanted the Packers to draft in the middle rounds, so we can track how they do. I don't want you picking and choosing a couple of guys out of the 20 liked. List the guys right here. Who are you upset that the Packers didn't draft.

woodbuck27
05-11-2013, 11:22 PM

I think if I'm picking Rd. 3 #88 I'd have been very tempted to grab 'the strong man' DT Brandon Williams.

I think he'll do very well with the Ravens.

The other fella I liked alot was OT Terron Armstead for too many reasons.

PACKERS !

Iron Mike
05-12-2013, 09:32 AM

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/DE-Datone-Jones-is-here-to-win-championships/6b7d46d6-b6b2-4467-83d7-192fe44df0ae

Bretsky
05-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Yes, because a good first day at rookie camp means the guy is going to be brilliant. Make room for Angelo Pease on the Packers roster.

I want you to list all of the players you wanted the Packers to draft in the middle rounds, so we can track how they do. I don't want you picking and choosing a couple of guys out of the 20 liked. List the guys right here. Who are you upset that the Packers didn't draft.

First, to say I'm upset is an over exaggeration. There are real life issues to get upset about.

But that doesn't mean I can't question things and I don't think I'll ever be a in TT I trust robot........

So I'm not upset they didn't take anybody. But I would really questions passing on Brandon Williams and Brian Schwenke.

Brandon Williams
Brian Schwenke
If you want to track most of my comments..........about trading down........those are the two guys I'd be judged by

Others I'd have liked to see GB Draft would be ...........
Jessie Williams-NG Alabama
Barrett Jones
David Quessenberry
Cornelius Washington
Joe Krueger
Davis Bass
Philip Thomas

RashanGary
05-12-2013, 10:56 AM
If you're a football fan, and a die-hard Packer fan, you can't help but see parts on the team that make you worried about next season. As the draft approaches, you can't help but be excited about how many solutions seem to be available in the draft.

For me, I think the last time I panicked about a draft pick was Clay Matthews. I was like, "how can they draft this project who couldn't even start on his college team until his senior season in the first round?" How could they trade up, using all of these picks, to get him?"

Well, thankfully for me, I never got to build up a very strong dilution that I am able to project college talent to the NFL. I sort of fell flat on my face. I still like to get a feel for some positions, and enjoy seeing if what I see goes, but it's pretty much impossible for me to think I know what the Packers should have done. They have a SB Champion GM. They have the best player in the NFL, one of hte best coaching staffs, they're at or near the top of winningest teams since TT took over. They're just a great team, who's still on a great path. If they were the Lions, and were the worst team year after year, I'd probably do it more.

At the end of the day, whether B is right or wrong about what TT should have done doesn't much matter. It's his opinion. TT has his opinion. At the end of the day, all that matters is that TT brings us championships. If he does that, whether or not he does what B thinks is best doesn't much matter.

Patler
05-12-2013, 11:14 AM
I've read several interesting comments about and listened to an interview with BJ Coleman.
What I took from them:

- the kid learned humility over the past year. None of the brash comments we heard a year ago.
- he has some obvious physical tools, beyond what Graham Harrell has to offer.
- seems to have made very good strides in his knowledge base on the offense.
- Graham Harrell will be in a battle to keep the #2 QB spot.

Bretsky
05-12-2013, 12:22 PM
If you're a football fan, and a die-hard Packer fan, you can't help but see parts on the team that make you worried about next season. As the draft approaches, you can't help but be excited about how many solutions seem to be available in the draft.

For me, I think the last time I panicked about a draft pick was Clay Matthews. I was like, "how can they draft this project who couldn't even start on his college team until his senior season in the first round?" How could they trade up, using all of these picks, to get him?"

Well, thankfully for me, I never got to build up a very strong dilution that I am able to project college talent to the NFL. I sort of fell flat on my face. I still like to get a feel for some positions, and enjoy seeing if what I see goes, but it's pretty much impossible for me to think I know what the Packers should have done. They have a SB Champion GM. They have the best player in the NFL, one of hte best coaching staffs, they're at or near the top of winningest teams since TT took over. They're just a great team, who's still on a great path. If they were the Lions, and were the worst team year after year, I'd probably do it more.

At the end of the day, whether B is right or wrong about what TT should have done doesn't much matter. It's his opinion. TT has his opinion. At the end of the day, all that matters is that TT brings us championships. If he does that, whether or not he does what B thinks is best doesn't much matter.

Spot on

rbaloha1
05-12-2013, 12:36 PM
First, to say I'm upset is an over exaggeration. There are real life issues to get upset about.

But that doesn't mean I can't question things and I don't think I'll ever be a in TT I trust robot........

So I'm not upset they didn't take anybody. But I would really questions passing on Brandon Williams and Brian Schwenke.

Brandon Williams
Brian Schwenke
If you want to track most of my comments..........about trading down........those are the two guys I'd be judged by

Barrett Jones
David Quessenberry
Cornelius Washington
Joe Krueger
Davis Bass
Philip Thomas

Jesse Williams is someone I also wanted. Going to the Seahawks says something given d-line is already solid.

JW could have been a replacement for Raji. Oh well still a good draft.

wist43
05-12-2013, 01:03 PM

Brandon Williams
Brian Schwenke

Barrett Jones
David Quessenberry
Cornelius Washington
Joe Krueger
Davis Bass
Philip Thomas

I like both Williams and Schwenke... McGinn mentioned in an article that Barrett Jones has a Lisfranc. I hadn't heard that about Jones, but I'm sure the teams knew.

Anyway, I'd add Brian Winters to that list.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/22227151/finding-the-fits-forecast-calls-for-early-winters

This article makes mention of the finesse factor you get by moving college OT's inside to G... something we're all too familiar with in Green Bay - but that's the kind of player the Packers like. TT likely never even considered Winters, Schwenke, or Williams.

Finesse is our identity... maybe we should change the team colors to turquoise and pink??

rbaloha1
05-12-2013, 01:17 PM
I like both Williams and Schwenke... McGinn mentioned in an article that Barrett Jones has a Lisfranc. I hadn't heard that about Jones, but I'm sure the teams knew.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/22227151/finding-the-fits-forecast-calls-for-early-winters

This article makes mention of the finesse factor you get by moving college OT's inside to G... something we're all too familiar with in Green Bay - but that's the kind of player the Packers like. TT likely never even considered Winters, Schwenke, or Williams.

Finesse is our identity... maybe we should change the team colors to turquoise and pink??

IMO the finesse is not an issue on offense due to AR and hopefully the added running dimension of Lacy (speculating you like this pick?)

It is the DEE-FENCE you can identify that was hopefully addressed sufficiently.

wist43
05-12-2013, 02:00 PM
IMO the finesse is not an issue on offense due to AR and hopefully the added running dimension of Lacy (speculating you like this pick?)

It is the DEE-FENCE you can identify that was hopefully addressed sufficiently.

Here's an article on the league's best defensive linemen... notice, not a single mention of any Packer.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22227482/versatile-watt-powerful-ngata-wilfork-best-of-defensive-linemen

I agree, our DL is still a mess... Jones helps, but it won't be near enough.

As for the OL? To me, that's where we are defined as finesse. My God, we can't pick up a 3rd and inches on the ground... all of our guys get pushed back. And that stupid, stupid, stupid FB dive MM always calls does nothing more than serve to launch me into another demension of pissed off!!!

We could have drafted Schwenke, Williams, or Winters... what did TT do instead?? He drafted a lightweight OT... less that 300 lbs!!!! Good grief, if he gets in a game, Ndamukong Suh is going to use his super-long legs to tie him in a pretzel :shock:

Have you seen that guy's build?? He's shaped like a horseshoe with a head on it. I'd much rather have Brian Winters than another finesse player, especially one that looks like the result of a lab accident.

wist43
05-12-2013, 02:16 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22227482/versatile-watt-powerful-ngata-wilfork-best-of-defensive-linemen

There are 54 defensive linemen talked about in that article. The Packers have none even mentioned.

Why the Packers prefer to play finesse in the trenches is beyone me. You'd think they'd get sick of being pushed around all the time. We win games b/c of our QB and skill position talent. In the trenches?? we're well below average on both lines.

Brandon494
05-12-2013, 02:41 PM

There are 54 defensive linemen talked about in that article. The Packers have none even mentioned.

Why the Packers prefer to play finesse in the trenches is beyone me. You'd think they'd get sick of being pushed around all the time. We win games b/c of our QB and skill position talent. In the trenches?? we're well below average on both lines.

Its pretty clear you don't pay attention to any other team in the NFL because you act like every team has no weakness except for the Packers.

wist43
05-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Its pretty clear you don't pay attention to any other team in the NFL because you act like every team has no weakness except for the Packers.

Don't be obtuse Brandon... I talk about the Packers weaknesses - does talking about the Packers weaknesses imply that all other teams are without weakness??

Are any Packers talked about in the article? The article was about defensive linemen - should there have been a mention of Jordy Nelson or Aaron Rodgers??

In the name of fairness and protecting everyones feelings - perhaps we should adopt the 'fairness doctrine' of not keeping score??

Upnorth
05-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Don't be obtuse Brandon... I talk about the Packers weaknesses - does talking about the Packers weaknesses imply that all other teams are without weakness??

Are any Packers talked about in the article? The article was about defensive linemen - should there have been a mention of Jordy Nelson or Aaron Rodgers??

In the name of fairness and protecting everyones feelings - perhaps we should adopt the 'fairness doctrine' of not keeping score??

I did not read the article, but do you honestly feel raji is not in the top 54 dl?

rbaloha1
05-12-2013, 03:50 PM
I did not read the article, but do you honestly feel raji is not in the top 54 dl?

raji is overrated -- maybe the article validates this.

3irty1
05-12-2013, 03:53 PM

So Winters is a college tackle being moved to guard, and that's the kind of player the Packers like. Therefore by the transitive property, TT likely never even had Winters on his board.

Am I doing this right?

rbaloha1
05-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Here's an article on the league's best defensive linemen... notice, not a single mention of any Packer.

As for the OL? To me, that's where we are defined as finesse. My God, we can't pick up a 3rd and inches on the ground... all of our guys get pushed back. And that stupid, stupid, stupid FB dive MM always calls does nothing more than serve to launch me into another demension of pissed off!!!

We could have drafted Schwenke, Williams, or Winters... what did TT do instead?? He drafted a lightweight OT... less that 300 lbs!!!! Good grief, if he gets in a game, Ndamukong Suh is going to use his super-long legs to tie him in a pretzel :shock:

Have you seen that guy's build?? He's shaped like a horseshoe with a head on it. I'd much rather have Brian Winters than another finesse player, especially one that looks like the result of a lab accident.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130511/PKR01/305110354/Bakhtiari-could-among-favorites-right-tackle?nclick_check=1

Persian guy is 305. Dude has put on 25 lbs since freshman year. Only going to get larger. Ferguson of the Jets also has this type of build.

Its not uncommon for passing o-linemen having problems with running on short yardage. Your frustration appears to have been addressed with blocking te and lacy.

Williams could have also played fullback in short yardage/goal line situations.

wist43
05-12-2013, 05:08 PM
So Winters is a college tackle being moved to guard, and that's the kind of player the Packers like. Therefore by the transitive property, TT likely never even had Winters on his board.

Am I doing this right?

By homer standards you're doing it right - being obtuse.

wist43
05-12-2013, 05:19 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130511/PKR01/305110354/Bakhtiari-could-among-favorites-right-tackle?nclick_check=1

Persian guy is 305. Dude has put on 25 lbs since freshman year. Only going to get larger. Ferguson of the Jets also has this type of build.

Its not uncommon for passing o-linemen having problems with running on short yardage. Your frustration appears to have been addressed with blocking te and lacy.

Williams could have also played fullback in short yardage/goal line situations.

In terms of body type?? Maybe...

http://www.exploroz.com/images/forum/uploads/A503335_0__TN600x363.jpg?_76880

Somewhere inbetween Brandon here...

http://jerseyal.com/GBP/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/david-bakhtiari-223x300.jpg

And the persian guy...

rbaloha1
05-12-2013, 07:26 PM

And the persian guy...

Dude -- get over your man crush. LOL

RashanGary
05-12-2013, 07:50 PM

And the persian guy...

lmao. Hes all arms and legs, literally.

George Cumby
05-12-2013, 09:57 PM
lmao. Hes all arms and legs, literally.

Short torso, long legs, barrel chest. Is this Wist's favorite body type.:-D

pbmax
05-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Remember that photo of the Packer throwback uniforms that had Nelson and Jones in it. The one that made Jones and Nelson look to be the same size?

One photo doesn't tell you much.

As for actual news Packers sign three rookie practice invitees to the roster:

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 55m
CB Brandon Smith, WR Tyrone Walker, FB Jonathan Amosa, per Bill. MT @PackerReport: #Packers sign 3 tryout players: http://bit.ly/12o83Yd

pbmax
05-12-2013, 10:46 PM
6' 3", 242 lbs Jones versus 6' 3", 217 lbs Nelson. Clearly the Packer roster lies and Nelson is as big as Jones.

http://cdn.wrn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Packer-Throwbacks.jpg

pbmax
05-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Or, ... maybe not.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2010/03/12/s100312_packerspg-horizontal.jpg

pbmax
05-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Rookie Camp Wrapup

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/207119201.html

- McCarthy made a point to mention Kansas State RB Angelo Pease, who was signed. But remember past McCarthy minicamp and OTA faces Nick MacDonald and Allen Barbre proved to be more hype than help.

- OL switch was to solidify left side first and foremost. Barclay, Lang and Newhouse have all spent time on the right side so he doesn't expect them to be lost. No Sherrod mention in blog item.

- Felt overall this was one of their best rookie camps.

- Changes have been made to Phase 3 OTA. Less team drills, more individual work. M3 did not like how they came out of the newly shortened OTAs last year.

- Coleman in running for #2 job.

- Thinks Kevin Green has done great job as OLB coach not only with top draft picks (Matthews/Perry) but also Jones, Walden, Zombo, now Moses, Palmer and Mulumba.

hoosier
05-13-2013, 08:17 AM
- Thinks Kevin Green has done great job as OLB coach not only with top draft picks (Matthews/Perry) but also Jones, Walden, Zombo, now Moses, Palmer and Mulumba.

Moses had some decent moments filling in for Matthews during his hamstring hiatus last December. Assuming he has enough it in him to hold the edge on the strong side, it would be nice to see him push Perry for playing time.

pbmax
05-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Food for thought from McCarthy, via Wilde at espnwisconsin.com:

“I went through the specifics of our roster, how many first-rounders are on our team. How many second-, third-rounders are on our team, the makeup,” McCarthy said, recounting his speech to the rookies. “Fifty percent of our football team is sixth-, seventh-round draft picks and free agents.

rbaloha1
05-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Moses had some decent moments filling in for Matthews during his hamstring hiatus last December. Assuming he has enough it in him to hold the edge on the strong side, it would be nice to see him push Perry for playing time.

At this point Moses is a one trick pony -- pass rusher -- gets demolished in the run game.

Moses will have a tough time making the roster.

3irty1
05-13-2013, 09:09 AM

I'm a big fan of Moses. He's got the upside to be a player, 1.61 10 yard dash, 36.5" vertical, decent agility numbers too for a 3-4 OLB. Best part about him though is his super physical violent style. You can tell he's Kevin Greene's type of guy--fucking crazy. Only way he doesn't make the 53 is if they take him away in a straight jacket.

run pMc
05-13-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm a big fan of Moses. He's got the upside to be a player, 1.61 10 yard dash, 36.5" vertical, decent agility numbers too for a 3-4 OLB. Best part about him though is his super physical violent style. You can tell he's Kevin Greene's type of guy--fucking crazy. Only way he doesn't make the 53 is if they take him away in a straight jacket.

LOL Yeah guys like this will backup CM3 and play ST. With a full year of Kevin Greene, he might show improvement.

rbaloha1
05-13-2013, 11:00 AM

ST only chance. Does give a good effort and is crazy physical.

Brandon494
05-13-2013, 11:11 AM

One of my friends is roommates with Kevin Greene's nephew who is also a Packers fan. He and his uncle are pretty close and we were talking about Perry last season and he was telling me how his uncle was saying Perry has all the tools in the world but he just can't seem to light a fire under his ass. He then went on to mention this undrafted rookie who he loved...can you guess who he was talking about? :wink:

After losing Walden and Zombo and from what I've heard about the guy he is pretty much a lock to make the roster.

3irty1
05-13-2013, 12:28 PM
One of my friends is roommates with Kevin Greene's nephew who is also a Packers fan. He and his uncle are pretty close and we were talking about Perry last season and he was telling me how his uncle was saying Perry has all the tools in the world but he just can't seem to light a fire under his ass. He then went on to mention this undrafted rookie who he loved...can you guess who he was talking about? :wink:

After losing Walden and Zombo and from what I've heard about the guy he is pretty much a lock to make the roster.

That's pretty consistent with what I've seen on the field. Perry is a freak but he uses only half of his freakness. He can beat a guy with speed, but with that kind of size and strength you'd like to seem him be able to dominate in a leverage battle as well. He looks like a young Shawne Merriman but plays like a young KGB.

pbmax
05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog 2h
Via @PFF_Neil, #Packers LB Dezman Moses drew 5 penalties from opponents in '12. Third-highest per-snap rate in NFL. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/13/neils-nfl-daily-may-13-2013/ …

RashanGary
05-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Food for thought from McCarthy, via Wilde at espnwisconsin.com:

“I went through the specifics of our roster, how many first-rounders are on our team. How many second-, third-rounders are on our team, the makeup,” McCarthy said, recounting his speech to the rookies. “Fifty percent of our football team is sixth-, seventh-round draft picks and free agents.

McCarthy seems to disagree with Wist on the uselessness of late round picks.

RashanGary
05-13-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm not surprised with Perry either. From what I see, he looks more confused than lazy. I'd like to see Perry as a pass rush specialist, maybe play 50% of the snaps. I think he's a giant retard at OLB. Pass rush specialists are valuable though. Bruce Irvin, KGB, Perry. . . You can get big impact out of a talented pass rusher, especially when he's fresh.

Looking at how Moses and Perry play the game, I think Moses should start in base. Just going off the eyeball test though.

We talked about it in another thread as well, but Datone Jones looks as comfortable in space as Perry. Kinda scary.

Brandon494
05-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Give the kid some time, Perry played like what 5 games last season....as rookie.....playing a new position. Unlike Irvin and KGB, Perry is also a stud at run defense which sure would have been helpful in the SF game. I agree I would like to see Moses get more playing time but I believe Perry is more then just a pass rush specialist.

theeaterofshades
05-13-2013, 03:13 PM
any news on how Joe Glendening's tryout went? He is a nice RB from Div II's Hillsdale College and my cousin's college roomate.

Thanks

swede
05-13-2013, 03:18 PM
any news on how Joe Glendenning's tryout went? He is a nice RB from Div II's Hillsdale College and my cousin's college roomate.

Thanks

Not good. The coaches asked him if your cousin was available.

Patler
05-13-2013, 03:23 PM
any news on how Joe Glendenning's tryout went? He is a nice RB from Div II's Hillsdale College and my cousin's college roomate.

Thanks

Didn't see his name mentioned anywhere. Probably not a good sign for a player competing at a position that has 3 holdover veterans from last year, two high draft picks and a free agent player the coach confused for the #1 ranked RB prospect and mentioned two days in a row as one of the real impressive players on the field.

3irty1
05-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Perry wasn't selected because of what he is now. He's a 5,000 square foot chapel ceiling just begging for the right coach to make into a master piece. He's clumsy in space, I agree, but if he's bad that won't be why. He just needs to be able to cover the occasional hook zone, most of his career is going to be spent dealing with offensive lineman. If he fails it'll be because he looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane.

MadScientist
05-13-2013, 04:52 PM
any news on how Joe Glendening's tryout went? He is a nice RB from Div II's Hillsdale College and my cousin's college roomate.

Thanks

from http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/207277871.html

On Monday, Green Bay signed five tryout players to the 90-man roster and released two other players. FB Jonathan Amosa (Washington), LB Donte Savage (New Mexico State), CB Brandon Smith (Arizona State), WR Tyrone Walker (Illinois State), LB Jarvis Wilson (Prairie View A&M) all signed.

Meanwhile, LB Micah Johnson and FB Ryan Roberson were released.

Guiness
05-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Didn't see his name mentioned anywhere. Probably not a good sign for a player competing at a position that has 3 holdover veterans from last year, two high draft picks and a free agent player the coach confused for the #1 ranked RB prospect and mentioned two days in a row as one of the real impressive players on the field.

Who would the free agent be? Pease? What's been said about him, I missed the puff piece!

Patler
05-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Who would the free agent be? Pease? What's been said about him, I missed the puff piece!

On May 12:

--- Again, McCarthy made a point to mention Kansas State RB Angelo Pease as a player who stood out at rookie camp. Pease only had 60 carries last fall for 333 yards and no touchdowns. But in Green Bay, where Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin were the second- and fourth-round picks, the undrafted Pease has caught the eye of his coach.

"I'm going to do it to him again, I thought Pease of Kansas State had a very good weekend," McCarthy said. "He had another run today. I think he's a good young back. ...He’s here for a reason. So that’s a credit to the player and that’s a credit to our personnel department. You’re also practicing in helmets and shorts and that’s why you have to be practical about what you saw today. It really confirms movement ability, athletic ability. Are they systematic? Do they fit what you’re looking for?

On May 10:

Running up the middle, Pease made a hard cut right into a developing hole and burst up the field for a big gain.

"That's a big time cut," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said after practice. "Frankly, I thought it was Eddie Lacy, the way he dropped his weight and hit the hole. Those are things we're looking for."

Your fluff piece:

George Cumby
05-13-2013, 08:05 PM

I cringe at Perry being unmotivated. That's what we DON'T need. Cross our fingers and hope KG shoves a red hot poker up his ass.

Guiness
05-13-2013, 08:55 PM
3:20

7:35

11:55

15:32

19:45

39:05

Thanks. He showed some good moves, even if they are in shorts. He goes up against Fisher at 15:32. Wow Fisher is good.

Did anyone draft Wagner? He's going to be getting some false start penalties this coming year, he was moving early on almost every play.

woodbuck27
05-13-2013, 11:45 PM

Man that was some funny stuff but I sure hope that this fella nor his Mother reads Packerrats:

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site21/2013/0225/20130225__26DCSBUFW_400.jpg

David's Mom say's: He's a nice boy.

woodbuck27
05-13-2013, 11:52 PM

Thanks

Tell your cousin to tell Joe to tell his agent that Canada is nice in the Summer and Fall.

3irty1
05-14-2013, 08:12 AM
I cringe at Perry being unmotivated. That's what we DON'T need. Cross our fingers and hope KG shoves a red hot poker up his ass.

I don't think its that kind of general motivation fire that his ass needs. Perry is a super hard worker and plays with a good motor. He needs a fire under his ass to stop viewing himself as a 230 lb speed rusher.

rbaloha1
05-14-2013, 08:15 AM
I don't think its that kind of general motivation fire that his ass needs. Perry is a super hard worker and plays with a good motor. He needs a fire under his ass to stop viewing himself as a 230 lb speed rusher.

The issue is consistency -- many times SC players do not always play like Clay Matthews or Brian Cushing.

Fritz
05-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Now I wonder what "needs a fire lit under his ass" actually means. Only on Packerrats could such fine parsings of phrase be made!

Since it's the offseason, I'm going with JH's definition.