PDA

View Full Version : Pick the Packer's Mt. Rushmore

pbmax
05-12-2013, 11:17 PM
PFT is doing a series on four players or coaches to be on the Mt. Rushmore for each team in the League.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/12/nominate-your-favor-packers-for-the-green-bay-mt-rushmore/

That is the link for the Packer nominations.

Most common is Lombardi, followed by Lambeau. Next is Starr then probably a rough tie between Hutson and Favre.

However, some substitute others for one of those and select Nitschke or Reggie White. Saw one vote for George Calhoun and one for Bob Harlan.

Patler
05-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Lambeau
Lombardi
Starr
Harlan

Harlan was the man behind the facilities upgrades that made GB a respectable place again. He brought in Wolf and TT. He recognized mistakes in Sherman as GM and Jones as President to be, and saw that they were corrected. He modernized the stadium.

swede
05-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Lambeau
Lombardi
Starr
Harlan

Oooh I wanted to trade Harlan for Nitschke, but without Harlan Green Bay would have been 80's bad through the 90's.

Patler
05-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Actually, for what the Packers are, it should be:

Lambeau as a founder
Lombardi for coaches
Starr representing players
A nondescript human form representing the owner/fans.

swede
05-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Actually, for what the Packers are, it should be:

Lambeau as a founder
Lombardi for coaches
Starr representing players
A nondescript human form representing the owner/fans.

You mean this guy?
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/midwestfavrefan/09000d5d80448389_gallery_600.jpg

Brandon494
05-13-2013, 12:11 AM
As much as the guy has pissed me off the past few years #4 has to be on there.

swede
05-13-2013, 12:12 AM

You mean the Viking quarterback?

That's an odd choice.

Patler
05-13-2013, 12:24 AM

If Lambeau, Lombardi and Starr are givens, leaving you to pick one from:

Harlan
Wolf
Favre
White
anyone else

would you pick Favre? My picks would be in the above order, top to bottom, first to last for the final spot on Mount Packer.

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Lambeau
Lombardi
Hutson
Starr

Tough choices. You could make an argument for Favre, White, Wolf, Harlan, and Nitschke. I'd pick Favre as a slightly better player than Starr, but Starr won more and he also has a reputation as one of the finest individuals to ever walk the planet. For a Mount Rushmore of the franchise, I want Bart representing the Green & Gold. To me, Hutson is a no brainer (the Babe Ruth of WRs, great two way player, classy, and the Pack won several championships in his time).

gbgary
05-13-2013, 12:33 AM
If Lambeau, Lombardi and Starr are givens, leaving you to pick one from:

Harlan
Wolf
Favre
White
anyone else?

ed west

pbmax
05-13-2013, 12:58 AM
ed west

Ed "Toolbox" West

and

Chastin "Toolbelt" West

both legendary Packers. One had a very short yet brilliant time with Green Bay.

Guiness
05-13-2013, 02:08 AM
Ed "Toolbox" West

and

Chastin "Toolbelt" West

both legendary Packers. One had a very short yet brilliant time with Green Bay.

Taco Wallace in a horse race over those two!

Lambardi and Starr are the two shoo-ins for me. Since it's something that immortalizes the honorees, Lambeau - the stadium is named after him! I like the mention of Harlan, but he's not exactly a household name. Can we put a list on the mole hill, representing the season ticket waiting list?

Patler
05-13-2013, 06:02 AM
Since it's something that immortalizes the honorees, Lambeau - the stadium is named after him! I like the mention of Harlan, but he's not exactly a household name.

Washigton, Lincoln and Jefferson have pretty significant structures in their memory, but are on Mount Rushmore too.
Not sure how much of a household name Teddy Roosevelt was at the time he was selected for Rushmore. Not saying he wasn't, just don't know. I don't think he was the status of the other three, anyway.

smuggler
05-13-2013, 06:21 AM
Not my Mt. Rushmore, but here are some suggestions:

Blood McNally, Ray Nitschke, Don Hutson, Forrest Gregg

RashanGary
05-13-2013, 06:40 AM
I'll be fine with Favre in the Packer HOF. I do think he'd belong on the Mt. Rushmore of Packers, if you went on play alone.

After the way it went down, him seeking out the Vikings to beat the Packers. His spirit was not with the Packers, it was to beat the Packers. That's a lasting memory of Favre. I just don't think he's a Packer anymore.

Pugger
05-13-2013, 06:57 AM
Lambeau
Lombardi
Hutson
Starr

Tough choices. You could make an argument for Favre, White, Wolf, Harlan, and Nitschke. I'd pick Favre as a slightly better player than Starr, but Starr won more and he also has a reputation as one of the finest individuals to ever walk the planet. For a Mount Rushmore of the franchise, I want Bart representing the Green & Gold. To me, Hutson is a no brainer (the Babe Ruth of WRs, great two way player, classy, and the Pack won several championships in his time).

I would go with these 4 too.

Pugger
05-13-2013, 06:59 AM
Washigton, Lincoln and Jefferson have pretty significant structures in their memory, but are on Mount Rushmore too.
Not sure how much of a household name Teddy Roosevelt was at the time he was selected for Rushmore. Not saying he wasn't, just don't know. I don't think he was the status of the other three, anyway.

Wasn't Teddy chosen because he was in office when the first National Park came to be?

Pugger
05-13-2013, 07:02 AM
I'll be fine with Favre in the Packer HOF. I do think he'd belong on the Mt. Rushmore of Packers, if you went on play alone.

After the way it went down, him seeking out the Vikings to beat the Packers. His spirit was not with the Packers, it was to beat the Packers. That's a lasting memory of Favre. I just don't think he's a Packer anymore.

I don't think #4 belongs there but not because he played/coached elsewhere. Both Lambeau and Lombardi went on to different teams. The only one who didn't was Starr. But these 3 brought more than one championship to GB so that is why I chose Hutson my fourh choice.

Iron Mike
05-13-2013, 07:21 AM
You mean this guy?
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/midwestfavrefan/09000d5d80448389_gallery_600.jpg

No, this guy:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7170/6687336167_c3293702bc_m.jpg

Patler
05-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Oooh I wanted to trade Harlan for Nitschke, but without Harlan Green Bay would have been 80's bad through the 90's.

That's why I picked Harlan. Wolf, Favre and White are always mentioned as responsible for the Packer resurgence, but Harlan was the planner and decision maker who made it all possible, both in facilities upgrades and in how the organization operated. He cleaned up a couple decades of degradation and incompetence, brought in good football people, then got out of their way on football matters. Harlan made the organizational structure one that would be appealing to a guy like Wolf, and he made the facilities into one that would attract and retain coaches and players. He then set in motion a long range vision to keep the team financially competitive for the foreseeable future.

In my opinion, without Harlan or someone with the same foresight and willingness to change, the Packers of the '70s and '80s might be the Packers of today, or the Packers of the '90s might have been a last hurrah for the once-proud organization.

pbmax
05-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Lambeau and Lombardi.

Hutson as a player should be on there. But there are only four spots and his era is represented by Lambeau. I think the era, with limited spots, has to take precedence over being a player.

Same with Starr and Lombardi.

So in a decision I cannot believe I have come to, it has to be Favre for the third position. And since he stuck around to launch a second new era with Thompson/M3/Rodgers, Harlan is the fourth.

Lambeau, Lombardi, Favre, Harlan.

Patler
05-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Starr transcends all aspects of the Packers. He has been a Packer through and through for more than 50 years as a player, assistant coach, head coach, ambassador and fan. To me, there is nor person more a Packer than Bart Starr. He did and probably still would do anything the organization asked of him. His contributions stretch from before Lombardi to the present day.

Favre doesn't even come close in my opinion.

Upnorth
05-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Lambeau, Starr, Lombardi and Hutson from left to right in that order, with Harlan, favre are the start of mount Rushmore jr.

While I recognize all Harlan and Farve have done for the packers, Hutson is arguably the greatest to ever play. That has to be respected.

pbmax
05-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Starr transcends all aspects of the Packers. He has been a Packer through and through for more than 50 years as a player, assistant coach, head coach, ambassador and fan. To me, there is nor person more a Packer than Bart Starr. He did and probably still would do anything the organization asked of him. His contributions stretch from before Lombardi to the present day.

Favre doesn't even come close in my opinion.

Patler, I just go where the logic and facts take me. I always try to leave emotion and attachment out of it.

:D

Patler
05-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Patler, I just go where the logic and facts take me. I always try to leave emotion and attachment out of it.
:D

Which is exactly why I don't understand your pick of Favre. Neither logic nor facts support it.
That is so unlike you! :-D

George Cumby
05-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Just to be clear, we are talking Bob Harlan and not Harlan Huckleby?

Brandon494
05-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Damn you guys still mad? And I thought I held a long grudge. Go watch some #4 highlights on you tube and see if they don't give you chills.

Upnorth
05-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Damn you guys still mad? And I thought I held a long grudge. Go watch some #4 highlights on you tube and see if they don't give you chills.

I agree, he was with out a doubt a great great player. One of the top ten all time qb's, but he just happens to be the third best player in packers history, Lambeau made the organization and Lombardi is Lombardi.

Cleft Crusty
05-13-2013, 12:08 PM
For my money, I would like to see Hutson on there, just because he was such an outstanding athlete, and personified the NFL switch to the passing game. But to be fair to the concept, Favre clearly belongs on there. Remember that Hutson ran up a lot of his numbers playing against WWII depleted ranks. In contrast, Favre symbolized Packer football during their resurgence from near extinction and for a stretch of 16 years. Starr is symbolic of the 60s successes, but he should really be up there for his scintillating run as Head Coach and player-personell terrorist. As much as Starr the player was responsible for 60s success, Starr the coach was responsible for 70s and 80s failures in the field. In fairness to Starr however, if there were an alternative universe, anti-rushmore, Dan Devine should be up there in place of Washington.

Cleft Crusty
05-13-2013, 12:09 PM
You mean this guy?

he looks very descript to me

hoosier
05-13-2013, 12:42 PM
If a representative of the Packer renaissance is needed, it should be Wolf or Holmgren, not Favre. What did Bert ever win after Holmey left town?

Cleft Crusty
05-13-2013, 02:07 PM
If a representative of the Packer renaissance is needed, it should be Wolf or Holmgren, not Favre. What did Bert ever win after Holmey left town?

three playoff games, NFC North championships, a whole collection of regular season games, not to mention all those individual QB records.

I suppose you'd put Shula on the Dolphin's Rushmore and leave Marino off then?

Cleft Crusty
05-13-2013, 02:08 PM

What did Holmgren ever win after he left town?

hoosier
05-13-2013, 02:15 PM
What did Holmgren ever win after he left town?

At least he got to another SB. With the Dolphins I wouldn't have to worry about this little conundrum: Shula would represent the 70s and Marino would be the 80s. Only problem is, there is no Dolphins Golden Age or post-80s to represent, so they just get a two-headed Rushmore!

Brandon494
05-13-2013, 02:22 PM

Weak

hoosier
05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
three playoff games, NFC North championships, a whole collection of regular season games, not to mention all those individual QB records.

And a 3-5 playoff record with three very memorable meltdowns. Favre was amazing when he played with some degree of control, but unfortunately that control pretty much went out the window in big games in the post-Holmgren era.

Tony Oday
05-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Tony Mandrich, Brian Brohm, Joe Johnson and Ray Rhodes...

Brandon494
05-13-2013, 02:40 PM
And a 3-5 playoff record with three very memorable meltdowns. Favre was amazing when he played with some degree of control, but unfortunately that control pretty much went out the window in big games in the post-Holmgren era.

Who were his coaches again after Holmgren left?

Cleft Crusty
05-13-2013, 02:42 PM

You put forth a myth that is common on these boards. Favre was a fantastic QB who took a lot of chances and trusted in his physical abilities to cover for a lack of discipline. He did this under Holmgren as well as after, the differences being that under Holmgren, some of those teams were good enough to overcome his errors (like against Carolina in the NFCC game in '96) and some weren't (like at Dallas in the NFCC game the year previously). I'll only mention - but I shouldn't have to - that many of the teams that Favre destroyed with 'meltdowns' would never have been where they were without him. Later, with Holgrem gone, it was a combination of skills diminishment and team diminishment that led to 'meltdowns' in the playoffs. Anyone with an ounce of objectivity knew that the Rams in 2001, Atlanta in 2002, and the Giants in 2007 were superior teams to the Packers. Philly in 2003 and Minnesota in 2004 were even matchups and Favre's meltdowns, that is, his bad errors could not survive bad coaching at Philly in 2003 and and awful defense in 2004.

In any case and to the point, legend and mythology have a lot to do with making a person into 'Rushmore Worthy.' Teddy Roosevelt would probably agree with me.

hoosier
05-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Favre only made one error against Carolina, and it happened very early in the game, so I don't think it would be very objective to say that it was the team that overcame his errors. I'll grant your point that it's not fair to blame Favre for Atlanta. But the Rams loss, who knows what would have happened had Favre not thrown three pick-6s and six picks overall? I know, those weren't all his fault and yeah, he was trying to play catch up, but the Packers were in the game until he started throwing it to the other team. The 2007 Giants were not obviously superior by any stretch, unless you mean that the GB QB apparently didn't want to come out for the second half. In that game and the Philly game, Favre did not single handedly lose the game but he did make the killer mistake at a crucial moment when the game was still in the balance.

Patler
05-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Who were his coaches again after Holmgren left?

Frick, Frack and Mike McCarthy

3irty1
05-13-2013, 03:38 PM
I'll say Curly Lambeau and the bikini girls.

Lombardi and Starr were great great achievers but Lambeau founded the team, created a winning tradition, and his architecture of a public team is the biggest advantage in pro football. Hence the three bikini girls representing the owners and fans. That architecture has cemented football people making football decisions that has been the advantage leveraged by the organization to lead to the whose who of hall of fame players and coaches. I think that advantage is the most worth putting in stone as it will never go obsolete.

Joemailman
05-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Lambeau
Lombardi
Hutson
Stafavrgers.

Cleft Crusty
05-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Favre only made one error against Carolina, and it happened very early in the game, so I don't think it would be very objective to say that it was the team that overcame his errors.

Favre had a fumble and an INT that led to 10 points for Carolina. Yes, the team, which includes Favre, overcame them. How many points did the defense allow after the first 10? How pressed was Favre to score more than 13 points? Favre played well following his early errors, but he made two large errors which a lesser team probably would have struggled to overcome.

Cheesehead Craig
05-13-2013, 04:20 PM

Well put Patler. I still remember his ads for wanting people to donate their cars to the troubled youth center he ran. He just exuded class at all times throughout his life.

Cleft Crusty
05-13-2013, 04:27 PM
The 2007 Giants were not obviously superior by any stretch, unless you mean that the GB QB apparently didn't want to come out for the second half.

Really? Do you routinely consider a team that gets out-gained 134 to 28 on the ground (and 251-236 in the air) to be equal? Maybe the entire offensive line and running backs didn't want to come out of the locker room in the second half - or the first half for that matter. Usually people give the QB some credit for keeping a team in the game when they are rendered totally ineffective in the run game. Sure, Favre had the costly interception, but it wasn't because Holmgren's world-class discipline wasn't available, and it wasn't the reason they lost the game.

Iron Mike
05-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Well put Patler. I still remember his ads for wanting people to donate their cars to the troubled youth center he ran. He just exuded class at all times throughout his life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrGQYqf_SAU

Willard
05-13-2013, 05:58 PM
You mean this guy?
This would require A LOT of granite!

Willard
05-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Lambeau, Starr, Lombardi and Hutson from left to right in that order, with Harlan, favre are the start of mount Rushmore jr.

While I recognize all Harlan and Farve have done for the packers, Hutson is arguably the greatest to ever play. That has to be respected.
This seems like a good foursome. How many other franchises can touch that?

Cleft Crusty
05-13-2013, 06:10 PM
This would require A LOT of granite!

more like soft limestone

red
05-13-2013, 06:48 PM
on pft i voted for lambeau, lombardi, hutson, and nitschke

but i would really have no problem with starr over ray

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Lambeau, Lombardi, Al Harris, Harlan

pbmax
05-13-2013, 07:22 PM
How about this hard to sculpt lineup?

Al Harris, Mike McKenzie, Jerron McMillan and Clay Matthews.

The Shadow
05-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Lombardi
Starr
Nitchke
Taylor

MJZiggy
05-13-2013, 07:49 PM

He's not dead. He's still exuding class.
Lombardi
Starr
Lambeau
White

George Cumby
05-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Lambeau
Lombardi
Starr
Hutson

woodbuck27
05-14-2013, 12:24 AM
I have to sleep on this one.

I'm thinking four different poses of Favre are out of the question.

I'm a blue collar guy. Now you either take a 'white collar' or a 'blue collar' look at this. In the end it's 'the blue collar guys' that win Championships on the field of play. Of course, the coach selecting him to be on the field that day and preparing him for that, does deserve some credit.

Why mix and match and toss one apple (blue and pale blue collar...Bart Starr) into the mix with three oranges (white collar's and Curley Lambeau, Vince Lombardi and Bob Harlan)?

So you know where I'm going with this.

PACKERS !

mraynrand
06-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Could someone please start a new redundant thread when it's time to vote?

pbmax
06-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Could someone please start a new redundant thread when it's time to vote?

Its a Byzantium process all right.

mraynrand
06-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Its a Byzantium process all right.

Just make sure you start a new thread when the results are in

Guiness
06-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Just make sure you start a new thread when the results are in

And post all thoughts you may have to both...

Upnorth
06-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Who will start the thread to remember to start the redundancy thread? Perhaps we have found a job for Slocum.

woodbuck27
06-11-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm going with the four most dominant 'blue collar' Green Bay Packer players ALL TIME:

I'm going with the four top Green Bay Packer Players as per NFL.Com's TOP 100 NFL Players ALL TIME List:

***NO. 1 - #9 on the NFL.Com's TOP 100 NFL Players ALL TIME List : WR Don Hutson:

Don Hutson's[/B] Career highlights and awards:

8× first-team All-Pro (1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1945)
3× NFL Champion (1936, 1939, 1944)
Rated #9 NFL player of all-time by NFL.com
NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
NFL 1930s All-Decade Team
2× NFL MVP (1941, 1942)
NFL record most seasons leading the league in touchdowns (9)
Green Bay Packers all-time leading Touchdown receptions leader with 99
Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame
Green Bay Packers#14 Retired

***NO. 2 - #20 on the NFL.Com's TOP 100 NFL Players ALL TIME List... QB Brett Favre:

Brett Favre's Career highlights and awards:

11× Pro Bowl (1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009)
3× First-team All-Pro (1995, 1996, 1997)
3× Second-team All-Pro (2001, 2002, 2007)
3× AP NFL MVP (1995–1997)
5× NFC Player of the Year (1995, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2007)
2× NFC Champion (1996, 1997)
Super Bowl champion (XXXI)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
Several Career achievements, honors, and record statistics

*** NO. 3 - #47 on the NFL.Com's TOP 100 NFL Players ALL TIME List MLB Ray Nitschke

Ray Nitschke's Career highlights and awards:

Pro Bowl selection (1964)
3× First-team All-Pro selection (1964, 1965, 1966,
4× Second-team All-Pro selection (1962, 1963, 1967, 1969)
3× NFL Champion (1961, 1962, 1965)
2× Super Bowl Champion (I, II)
MVP of 1962 NFL Championship Game
NFL 50th Anniversary All-Time Team
NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
NFL 1960s All-Decade Team
Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame
Green Bay Packers #66 Retired

*** NO. 4 - #57 on the NFL.Com's TOP 100 NFL Players ALL TIME List: QB Bart Starr

Bart Starr's Career highlights and awards:

Rated #51 NFL Player of all-time by NFL.com
4× Pro Bowl selection (1960, 1961, 1962, 1966)
2× First-Team All-Pro selection (1961, 1966)
2× Second-Team All-Pro selection (1962, 1964)
3× NFL Champion
(1961, 1962, 1965)
2× Super Bowl champion (I, II)
2× Super Bowl MVP (I, II)
1966 NFL MVP
1966 UPI NFL MVP
NFL 1960s All-Decade Team
Packers Hall of Fame
Pro Football Hall of Fame
Green Bay Packers #15 retired

From L >>> R ... My Green Bay Packers Mt. Rushmore:

Don Hutson - Brett Favre - Ray Nitschke - Bart Starr

GO PACKERS !

Upnorth
06-11-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't think you can refer to someone with their own private locker room as blue collar. If that is the requirement for you mount rushmore maybe you should remove one name and replace it with someone else...

woodbuck27
06-11-2013, 11:46 AM
I don't think you can refer to someone with their own private locker room as blue collar. If that is the requirement for you mount rushmore maybe you should remove one name and replace it with someone else...

Removing Brett Favre from my list would be like cutting off a thumb.That's not happening.

Patler
06-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Removing Brett Favre from my list would be like cutting off a thumb.That's not happening.

You won't miss the thumb on your off-hand. Go ahead and remove Favre! :lol:

mraynrand
06-11-2013, 12:33 PM
You won't miss the thumb on your off-hand. Go ahead and remove Favre! :lol:

Favre played with both a sprained and broken thumb. If he could get by without it, so can Woody.

woodbuck27
06-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Favre played with both a sprained and broken thumb. If he could get by without it, so can Woody.

What is this ... a Green Bay Packer forum or the MAFIA?

Fritz
06-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Lambeau, Hutson, Lombardi, Starr. And Torrance Marshall.

Guiness
06-11-2013, 03:57 PM

Feeling a little piled on, are you? My only problem with your list is that Lombardi isn't on it. I'm not sure how you can leave off the coach the league named their ultimate trophy after.

NFL record most seasons leading the league in touchdowns (9)

That was a record I was not aware of. I can't see that one ever being broken, RBs don't last long enough and I'm not sure a WR could dominate for that long.

mraynrand
06-11-2013, 04:14 PM

watch your step, Rigoletto

ThunderDan
06-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Lambeau, Hutson, Lombardi, Starr. And Torrance Marshall.

That's who I voted for.

Joemailman
06-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Jamal Reynolds, T.J. Rubley, Ahmad Carroll and Tony Mandarich.

pittstang5
06-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Uuuuuuuummmm, let me think.

Cletidus Hunt...

Crap, he'd take up all four spots.

Let me keep thinking

woodbuck27
06-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Feeling a little piled on, are you? My only problem with your list is that Lombardi isn't on it. I'm not sure how you can leave off the coach the league named their ultimate trophy after.

That was a record I was not aware of. I can't see that one ever being broken, RBs don't last long enough and I'm not sure a WR could dominate for that long.

" My only problem with your list is that Lombardi isn't on it. I'm not sure how you can leave off the coach the league named their ultimate trophy after." Guiness

G. if I add Vince Lombardi I'd have to drop (Packer players) or either Ray Nitschke or Bart Starr and adding Lombardi and 'Curly' Lambeau would mean dropping both. Players win football games not coach's. Winning a particular game might mean winning a Championship.

Vince Lombardi already has been paid ultimate honours. Being a top ranked motivational NFL HC and one of the greatest NFL Legends/Icons in history having the Super Bowl trophy named after him.

The home of the Green Bay Packers is Lambeau Field named after another Packer Legend... Earl Louis 'Curly' Lambeau.

My Green Bay Packer Mt. Rushmore is about the Greatest Green Bay Packer players. They are definitely the four I named and backed up at NFL.Com as the four greatest Green Bay Packers in the TOP 100 All Time history of the NFL:

Again in order, I proudly report that they are from L >>> R:

Don Hutson - Brett Favre - Ray Nitschke - Bart Starr

Guiness: Your comment RE: Don Hutson's NFL record of most seasons leading the league in touchdowns at 9 seasons won't likely be broken. It's also impressive that he was an All Pro for eight (8) consecutive seasons. Don Hutson was in a class by himself when he played. You don't make the Top Ten All Time List of NFL - players unless you played exceptionally.

My four selections for the Green Bay Packers Mt. Rushmore are among the Top sixty (60) All Time NFL players.

Three other Green Bay Packers make that Top 100 List.

Who are they and at what position are they ranked? One is a Tackle, one a DB and the last a DE.

GO PACK GO !

Guiness
06-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Players win football games not coach's.

Who are they and at what position are they ranked? One is a Tackle, one a DB and the last a DE.

See, I disagree with you there. Coaches win them as well, and I think football is the sport where coaching has the most impact. In no other sport can a coach's impact the outcome more than football.

The other Packer players? Would have to be Forrest Greg and Herb Adderly. Assuming the DE isn't White, it would have to be Davis.

pbmax
06-12-2013, 07:38 AM
RIght now Reggie White is leading Curly Lambeau at PFT. Described as a slim led with 90,000 total votes having been cast.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/12/packers-mt-rushmore-voting-hits-the-home-stretch/

MadScientist
06-12-2013, 09:38 AM
RIght now Reggie White is leading Curly Lambeau at PFT. Described as a slim led with 90,000 total votes having been cast.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/12/packers-mt-rushmore-voting-hits-the-home-stretch/
That is just wrong. Reggie was good and helped the Packers, but no way does he belong in the top 4, not even if it is just players. I'd have trouble including White on Rushmore #2 for the Packers.

Patler
06-12-2013, 09:52 AM
That is just wrong. Reggie was good and helped the Packers, but no way does he belong in the top 4, not even if it is just players. I'd have trouble including White on Rushmore #2 for the Packers.

I agree. White was but a fleeting blip in the history of the Packers. Great player before he came, excellent player while in GB. Morally principled and all that. But here only a short time.

woodbuck27
06-12-2013, 10:03 AM
See, I disagree with you there. Coaches win them as well, and I think football is the sport where coaching has the most impact. In no other sport can a coach's impact the outcome more than football.

The other Packer players? Would have to be Forrest Greg and Herb Adderly. Assuming the DE isn't White, it would have to be Davis.

Any decent coach wins with the skills of a Favre, Nitschke and Starr in their lineup as long as the other components are in place. I'll admit that a HC has to command the respect of his players and that they give 100% and be in top shape. That's where the Packers of the 60's and Vince Lombardi dominated. Lombardi had his team in the best shape to play the gruelling schedule.

As a fan of sports it's always been the players I followed not the coachs. No coach has ever been or will be my hero.

The other Packers that made the Top 100 All time NFL Players list are as you posted Guiness:

T Forrest Gregg (#54) and DB Herb Adderly (#64) and at DE Willie Davis (#86) not Reggie White (#7) that made the Top 100 as an Eagle.

Here's a LINK to the Top 100 List:

http://top100.nfl.com/all-time-100

Green Bay Packers !

Upnorth
06-12-2013, 10:07 AM

I did not vote before, but there is no way White, who was great, earned a top 4 slot with the Packers.

Lambeau, Hutson, Lombardi and Starr.

pbmax
06-12-2013, 10:31 AM
I did not vote before, but there is no way White, who was great, earned a top 4 slot with the Packers.

Lambeau, Hutson, Lombardi and Starr.

Well then, vote!

Upnorth
06-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Well then, vote!

That is why I said before. I decided to participate in one of the internets versions of democracy after reading your post.

ThunderDan
06-12-2013, 11:01 AM

Yeah, they had an interview with John Madded one time and he said that he went to a seminar that Lombardi was leading. Lombardi spent the whole day discussing one play, the Packers power sweep. Madden said he realized right then he had no idea how to coach a football team.

Guiness
06-12-2013, 02:11 PM
where are you seeing the results?

MadScientist
06-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Any decent coach wins with the skills of a Favre, Nitschke and Starr in their lineup as long as the other components are in place.
The flip side to that is would those players become great, and would the other components be sufficient with 'any decent coach'. Great coaches have the ability to get everything out of a player. We'd like to think great players are self-motivated, and to some extent they are, but to really become great they need a coach who hits just the right buttons. I'm not particularly arguing against the 4 you picked, they all deserve it. The Packers need a Rushmore mountain range.

pbmax
06-12-2013, 03:12 PM
where are you seeing the results?

They aren't posting running totals, he just summarized the White/Lambeau vote in another post.

I think voting ends today if I recall another post correctly.

Fritz
06-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Jamal Reynolds, T.J. Rubley, Ahmad Carroll and Tony Mandarich.

Subtract TJ Rubley and Jamaal Reynolds, add Rich Campbell and Bruce Clark.

woodbuck27
06-12-2013, 06:08 PM
The flip side to that is would those players become great, and would the other components be sufficient with 'any decent coach'. Great coaches have the ability to get everything out of a player. We'd like to think great players are self-motivated, and to some extent they are, but to really become great they need a coach who hits just the right buttons. I'm not particularly arguing against the 4 you picked, they all deserve it. The Packers need a Rushmore mountain range.

I had the privilege of seeing Brett Favre, Ray Nitschke and Bart Starr play. All three were very special Green Bay Packer players and are obvious picks for me.

I cannot even imagine how good this 'my choice for greatest', Green Bay Packer player was:

Don Hutson was something else as a WR and a pioneer in that phase of the game. He is still regarded as one of the very best WR's and players in NFL history.

At the time of his retirement he held most receiving records:

Most seasons led league, scoring: 5 *

Most consecutive seasons led league, scoring: 5 *

Most points scored in a quarter: 29 *

Most touchdowns scored in a quarter: 4 *

Most touchdown receptions in a quarter: 4 *

Most seasons led league, touchdowns: 8 *

Most consecutive seasons led league, touchdowns: 4 *

Most seasons led league, receiving touchdowns: 9 *

Most consecutive seasons led league, receiving touchdowns: 5 *

Most seasons led league, receptions: 8 *

Most consecutive seasons led league, receptions: 5 *

Most seasons led league, receiving yards: 7 *

Most consecutive seasons led league, receiving yards: 4 *

Most receptions, career: 488

Most receptions, season: 74

Most receptions, game: 14

Most receiving yards, career: 7,991

Most receiving yards, season: 1,211

Most receiving yards, game: 209

Most receiving touchdowns, career: 99

Most touchdowns, season: 17

Most touchdowns, game: 4

Note: * = remains an NFL record.

Remarkably and as of the end of the 2012 NFL season, Hutson among other records share or otherwise; still holds the following eight (8) prominent pass receiving and scoring records:

** Most seasons leading league in pass receptions (8)

** Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receptions (5)

** Most seasons leading league in pass receiving yards gained (7)

** Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receiving yards gained (4)

** Most seasons leading league in pass receiving touchdowns (9)

** Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receiving touchdowns (5)

** Most seasons leading league in scoring (5)

** Most consecutive seasons leading league in scoring (5)

Source: NFL Record and fact book.

Don Hutson ... 'the GREATEST Green Bay Packer player' of All TIME.

I can say that I was privileged to see six of the TOP Seven All Time Green Bay Packer players play.

GO PACK GO !

Joemailman
06-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Subtract TJ Rubley and Jamaal Reynolds, add Rich Campbell and Bruce Clark.

Not Bruce Clark. You have to have actually been a Packer.

woodbuck27
06-12-2013, 08:11 PM

I want to come back to this in respect of you Guiness:

On the day of the 100th Anniversary of The Great Vince Lombardi's Birthday I recorded the Special of him that was featured on NFL Access. I became a Green Bay Packer fan as I was then (being very young) 2 years prior to his arrival in Green Bay. That stemming from being a Milwaukee Brave fan. It was awesome for me and another friend back in the 60's to pull for the Green Bay Packers. I have to admit that like the great Montreal Canadians player from * 'the Punch line' and later revered HABS HC ** Toe Blake ... *** Vince Lombardi was a huge influence on all it took to get his team to win. Men like Vince Lombardi and Toe Blake refused to accept losing.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_line_(ice_hockey)

** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_Blake

*** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Lombardi

I accept your criticism of me leaving Vince Lombardi off of my four choices. In any case Guiness, I decided to vote for the four specifically greatest Green Bay Packer players. Those choices were too obvious to me, separating the Green Bay Packer player from the rest.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
06-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Here is the Official Result of the fan vote to make the Mt. Rushmore of Green Bay Packers:

1st ... 96% of fan votes ... Vince Lombardi

T-2nd ... 68% of fan votes ... Bart Starr and Brett Favre

3rd ... 40% of fan votes ... Reggie White

GO PACK GO !