PDA

View Full Version : Bears to cut Carimi?

Guiness
05-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Bears could cut Carimi, two years after taking him in Round 1

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/13/bears-could-cut-carimi-two-years-after-taking-him-in-round-1/

Probably just hyperbole, would they really cut a 1st round choice after 2 years, one of which he was injured for?

Patler
05-13-2013, 06:51 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/13/bears-could-cut-carimi-two-years-after-taking-him-in-round-1/

Probably just hyperbole, would they really cut a 1st round choice after 2 years, one of which he was injured for?

GB could end up doing the same with Sherrod. He could be a victim of numbers.

Bossman641
05-13-2013, 07:44 PM

Yes. He has been a huge disappointment. They have shifted him to guard...tall guards are an oddity.

George Cumby
05-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Schadenfreude moment. Is it wrong to feel so good?

Guiness
05-13-2013, 08:36 PM
GB could end up doing the same with Sherrod. He could be a victim of numbers.

He could, but I really doubt it. He really hasn't played due to injury, and you want to at least give a first round draft choice a chance to see the field, otherwise why would you have drafted him? If he's healthy, he gets a pass this TC, unless he really stinks the joint up.

If he isn't physically ready, I think they still give him another year. The Pack seems to be very patient when it comes to recovering from injuries. Remember Chris Johnson, the CB? He was kept around for 2 years without seeing the field, and he was a 7th round pick.

Who's at that position? Newhouse, Sherrod, Bulaga, Barclay, Bakhtiari, Datko. Ya, that is pretty crowded, and who from that list do you really want to see go? If all are healthy, I really don't know. I think Datko has the toughest road to hoe, but then who? Barclay was a UDFA who got some starts last year - was he ready, or was in purely due to injury?

MJZiggy
05-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Schadenfreude moment. Is it wrong to feel so good?

No.

Patler
05-13-2013, 09:49 PM
Who's at that position? Newhouse, Sherrod, Bulaga, Barclay, Bakhtiari, Datko. Ya, that is pretty crowded, and who from that list do you really want to see go? If all are healthy, I really don't know. I think Datko has the toughest road to hoe, but then who? Barclay was a UDFA who got some starts last year - was he ready, or was in purely due to injury?

Had Datko not been injured, I wonder which was the better prospect? It seemed both were considered 1st/2nd round types at the end of their Junior years. Looking at the combine #s for Datko and Sherrod:

Advantage Datko
Height - 78/77
20 yard - 2.91/3.01
10 yard - 1.76/1.81
vertical - 29.5/28.0
broad - 100 in./97 in.
20 yard shuttle - 4.54/4.63

Advantage Sherrod
weight - 321/315
40 yard - 5.18/5.19
arm length - 35.38/33.88
3 cone drill - 7.43/7.71

Guiness
05-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Had Datko not been injured, I wonder which was the better prospect? It seemed both were considered 1st/2nd round types at the end of their Junior years. Looking at the combine #s for Datko and Sherrod:

Advantage Datko
Height - 78/77
20 yard - 2.91/3.01
10 yard - 1.76/1.81
vertical - 29.5/28.0
broad - 100 in./97 in.

Advantage Sherrod
weight - 321/315
40 yard - 5.18/5.19
arm length - 35.38/33.88
3 cone drill - 7.43/7.71

Sure, based on the numbers it seems to be a push, or even advantage Datko. You well know that's only a piece of the puzzle.

A lot of guys slide in their senior years for a lot of reasons - which usually prove out. My argument was that you give your first rounder ample opportunity to succeed. I just don't know how long the Pack will consider draft status as important, normally I'd say by third year it doesn't matter, but this guy really didn't have a first year, and no second year at all.

RashanGary
05-13-2013, 10:09 PM
That's the really intriguing thing about Datko, Guiness. He had shoulder surgery, something very serious for a lineman. His strength was down. The Packers took him in the 7th round, probably very aware that he would not be ready to play in 2012. He was under-drafted.

Sherrod on the other hand, like you said, didn't get a rookie offseason because of the CBA, then went out part-way through his rookie season. It will be 18+ mos away from live football by the time he takes a snap. In hindsight, with the injury he has, I don't think anyone would take Sherrod right now with a 1st round pick. Could you picture the 32nd team in the league trading their first round pick for Sherrod? Would we trade Eddie Lacy?

Datko is probably worth more than a 7th right now and Sherrod probably less than a first. The question is how much in each direction.

I think Patler starting by comparing their jr seasons (the last time you could compare apples to apples) is a very fair starting point. Datko was considered a 1st/2nd round pick going into his sr season. So was Sherrod. They're comparable football players as juniors and comparable athletes at the combine. Datko is healthy. Sherrod is not. We'll see, I guess. I would not be shocked.

Patler
05-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Sure, based on the numbers it seems to be a push, or even advantage Datko. You well know that's only a piece of the puzzle.

A lot of guys slide in their senior years for a lot of reasons - which usually prove out. My argument was that you give your first rounder ample opportunity to succeed. I just don't know how long the Pack will consider draft status as important, normally I'd say by third year it doesn't matter, but this guy really didn't have a first year, and no second year at all.

Datko didn't slide his senior year, he was out with an injury. Completely fell off peoples charts because it was uncertain if the shoulder was in fact fixed. I'm surprised that a guy who was on the Outland and Lombardi watch lists, who started at LT for a major program as a freshman and ever since, who dominated as a pass blocker, would fall that far. I'm not sure that Sherrod had the three year credentials that Datko had.

He may never pan out, but hearing that he is and has been healthy for 8 months is intriguing.

Guiness
05-13-2013, 10:28 PM
That's the really intriguing thing about Datko, Guiness. He had shoulder surgery, something very serious for a lineman. His strength was down. The Packers took him in the 7th round, probably very aware that he would not be ready to play in 2012. He was under-drafted.

Sherrod on the other hand, like you said, didn't get a rookie offseason because of the CBA, then went out part-way through his rookie season. It will be 18+ mos away from live football by the time he takes a snap. In hindsight, with the injury he has, I don't think anyone would take Sherrod right now with a 1st round pick. Could you picture the 32nd team in the league trading their first round pick for Sherrod? Would we trade Eddie Lacy?

Datko is probably worth more than a 7th right now and Sherrod probably less than a first. The question is how much in each direction.

I think Patler starting by comparing their jr seasons (the last time you could compare apples to apples) is a very fair starting point. Datko was considered a 1st/2nd round pick going into his sr season. So was Sherrod. They're comparable football players as juniors and comparable athletes at the combine. Datko is healthy. Sherrod is not. We'll see, I guess. I would not be shocked.

I wouldn't be shocked either, the table is certainly set.

They might have been comparable as juniors, but were not as seniors. Was it only because of the injury, or was Datko otherwise exposed as not being a top notch prospect in his final year?

Brian Brohm was rated a future first rounder after his junior year, along with Matt Ryan. Only one was, the other was not, and obviously should never have been. Not saying Datko doesn't have first round talent, just pointing out that just because he was once projected that way means little or nothing.

Guiness
05-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Datko didn't slide his senior year, he was out with an injury. Completely fell off peoples charts because it was uncertain if the shoulder was in fact fixed. I'm surprised that a guy who was on the Outland and Lombardi watch lists, who started at LT for a major program as a freshman and ever since, who dominated as a pass blocker, would fall that far. I'm not sure that Sherrod had the three year credentials that Datko had.

He may never pan out, but hearing that he is and has been healthy for 8 months is intriguing.

Didn't know that. Knew he had a shoulder injury, and it was bad, but don't know the details.

It must've been questionable if it could be repaired if no one took a flyer on him before the 7th.

Patler
05-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Didn't know that. Knew he had a shoulder injury, and it was bad, but don't know the details.

It must've been questionable if it could be repaired if no one took a flyer on him before the 7th.

If I remember correctly, he had first injured the shoulder in HS, and had had a previous surgery or two on it. He said it never felt right since then, but that they had finally identified the problem and the last surgery while in college had really fixed it. He said everything felt normal this time, but that there would be a long gradual rehab to build it back up.

RashanGary
05-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Here's one take on Datko coming out.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2012/round/7/pick/34

That, alone, makes him an intriguing prospect. The part I think has people really bringing him up now (more-so than last year) is listening to him talk about his health. The guy doesn't just feel like he's 100% He feels like he's worked hard enough that he has a head-start on most pros.

Fritz
05-14-2013, 06:03 AM

Given that Sherrod had another surgery in, what, January? And given that he wasn't mentioned at all when MM discussed the recent OTA's and rookie camp offensive linemen, I wonder if the thought is to PUP Sherrod like they did last year? It costs them nothing and gives Sherrod more time to recover. The, six weeks in, they could make the call, based on his health and on the health and play of the current linemen.

No skin off the Packers' nose, really, to PUP the guy. Correct?

gbgary
05-14-2013, 06:57 AM
too much positive/non-negative talk from mm to think sherrod will be cut before this upcoming season.

Pugger
05-14-2013, 07:08 AM

Did you see or hear a report on how Sherrod is now? I haven't heard a thing... :?:

Packers4Glory
05-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Datko was a guy I was really excited about getting. I thought he could end up a huge steal in that draft. The preseason kool-aid articles indicate he wasn't quite 100% last yr, but he has a chance to come into camp this yr and show he's healthy and could snipe that RT job. I certainly hope we can find a better answer than Newhouse over there. I'm not sure Newhouse made it off the field yet in SF because he's so slow. I'm hoping Datko or Sherrod work some magic.

Did you see or hear a report on how Sherrod is now? I haven't heard a thing... :?:

I think Sherrod would be undrafted at this point. Datko's value remains unchanged simply for the fact he hasn't proven he's healthy, and in the draft world he might actually an undrafted free agent as well.

rbaloha1
05-14-2013, 07:56 AM
too much positive/non-negative talk from mm to think sherrod will be cut before this upcoming season.

yup -- first round pics are always given more leeway.

Guiness
05-14-2013, 07:58 AM
If I remember correctly, he had first injured the shoulder in HS, and had had a previous surgery or two on it. He said it never felt right since then, but that they had finally identified the problem and the last surgery while in college had really fixed it. He said everything felt normal this time, but that there would be a long gradual rehab to build it back up.

Looked into it a bit, and it seems like his shoulder would pop out.

Joemailman
05-14-2013, 08:03 AM
If Sherrod is healthy and doesn't produce, being a 1st round pick won't help him. If there are no major injuries to O-Linemen in training camp, at least 1 of Sherrod/Newhouse/Datko will be released. There are no guarantees it won't be Sherrod.

Patler
05-14-2013, 08:08 AM
If Sherrod is healthy and doesn't produce, being a 1st round pick won't help him. If there are no major injuries to O-Linemen in training camp, at least 1 of Sherrod/Newhouse/Datko will be released. There are no guarantees it won't be Sherrod.

It's starting to look like it might come down to that, but I would throw Barclay into the pot, too.

Patler
05-14-2013, 08:19 AM
Which ever of Newhouse, Sherrod, Barclay, Van Roten and Datco is not starting and is the least versatile will probably be released.

Absent injuries, you have to assume Bulaga, Sitton. Lang, EDS, Bakhtiari and Tretter are virtual locks for spots in 2013.

Newhouse, Sherrod, Barclay, Datco and Van Roten are probably fighting for 3 spots, maybe 4. Somewhere in the mix you also have to have a back-up center. That could give Van Roten an advantage for one of the spots.

Joemailman
05-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Which ever of Newhouse, Sherrod, Barclay, Van Roten and Datco is not starting and is the least versatile will probably be released.

Absent injuries, you have to assume Bulaga, Sitton. Lang, EDS, Bakhtiari and Tretter are virtual locks for spots in 2013.

Newhouse, Sherrod, Barclay, Datco and Van Roten are probably fighting for 3 spots, maybe 4. Somewhere in the mix you also have to have a back-up center. That could give Van Roten an advantage for one of the spots.

I would say they're fighting for 2 spots, maybe 3. Last year the Packers opening day 53 man roster had 7 O-Linemen. They probably thought Sherrod would eventually become the 8th. I could see them going with 9 this year because they'll be carrying 2 rookies. I can'r see 10.

The backup C position will be interesting. There's been some talk of Tretter being able to play there, but I can't see the Packers going into the season with an Ivy League rookie as their backup. That would seem to give Van Roten a good chance. However, MM has mentioned in the past he thinks Lang could play C. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some reps there.

Guiness
05-14-2013, 08:52 AM
I would say they're fighting for 2 spots, maybe 3. Last year the Packers opening day 53 man roster had 7 O-Linemen. They probably thought Sherrod would eventually become the 8th. I could see them going with 9 this year because they'll be carrying 2 rookies. I can'r see 10.

The backup C position will be interesting. There's been some talk of Tretter being able to play there, but I can't see the Packers going into the season with an Ivy League rookie as their backup. That would seem to give Van Roten a good chance. However, MM has mentioned in the past he thinks Lang could play C. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some reps there.

The number of OL they carry into the season will heavily depend on how many TEs they keep!!!

I read Tretter projects to center at the pro level. If Tretter starts taking reps there in TC, and Lang can be the primary backup at the beginning of the season and an emergency backup later, that should be enough.

Patler
05-14-2013, 08:55 AM

I agree, 8 or 9 are the most typical numbers, but a few years back the Packers started the season with 10 O-linemen. Until injuries hit, game day inactives allow you to keep extra at positions of perceived depth (you know - 2 punters, half-dozen FBs, a dozen TEs !) That's why I bumped it up to 9, possibly 10 total.

Fritz
05-14-2013, 09:30 AM
I agree, 8 or 9 are the most typical numbers, but a few years back the Packers started the season with 10 O-linemen. Until injuries hit, game day inactives allow you to keep extra at positions of perceived depth (you know - 2 punters, half-dozen FBs, a dozen TEs !) That's why I bumped it up to 9, possibly 10 total.

This is why I think that if Sherrod's not healthy, there's no reason not to PUP him and thus give yourself some flexibility around mid-season.

Patler
05-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Ya, they'll get him to PUP, IR or something. Just realized that his salary for 2013 is guaranteed, so there is absolutely no reason at all to cut ties with him this year, if there is a way to stash him away.

Guiness
05-14-2013, 10:06 AM
That would be a heck of a start to a career though - IR, PUP to IR, then start season 3 on PUP.

Fritz
05-14-2013, 10:15 AM
That would be a heck of a start to a career though - IR, PUP to IR, then start season 3 on PUP.

I offer us all two words of hope:

Mike Flanagan.

denverYooper
05-14-2013, 10:35 AM

I dunno. That screams Packers. I won't be surprised if they see him as an interior swing guy.

Joemailman
05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
I dunno. That screams Packers. I won't be surprised if they see him as an interior swing guy.

The Center position is different though, because of all the calls at the line the Center has to make. I suspect they signed Saturday last year because they weren't sure if EDS was ready for that yet. I would think they'd be more confident with Lang or Van Roten there. Tretter did have a 33 on the Wonderlic though, so he may prove to be a quick study.

3irty1
05-14-2013, 11:07 AM
The OL is sooooo hard to predict right now.

Guiness
05-14-2013, 11:17 AM
I offer us all two words of hope:

Mike Flanagan.

Ya, I knew he'd get mentioned eventually. A different cap era though I think, I don't think viable players were getting cut then to save a few $$$ under the cap. Although if his contract is fully guaranteed as Patler pointed out, that doesn't matter at all.

So, about this Carimi guy...he skipped day 1 of OTAs. Not sure if these are the optional ones or not?

woodbuck27
05-14-2013, 11:44 AM

They 'only' have 13 potential roster spot winners in the off season camp so far. Hardly heating up.

pbmax
05-14-2013, 12:35 PM
The best center in camp might be that kid from Texas A&M.

run pMc
05-14-2013, 01:17 PM
The best center in camp might be that kid from Texas A&M.

Yeah, Patrick Lewis. Four year starter at TX A&M, so he's no slouch. I think they'll try to keep hush-hush on him and stash him on the practice squad. They've given the starting job to EDS but have done a lot to give him competition: Lewis, Tretter, Van Roten, even Lang supposedly could play C in a pinch. They'll find a C and a backup from that group. Tretter's an Ivy League guy so he's bright and he'll pick up the mental stuff. Unless they fall flat on their face Bahktiari and Tretter will make the team....Cory Rodgers was the last R4 they cut out of camp. Wouldn't be surprised if they trade somebody if they all stay healthy through camp (a la Caleb Schlauderlaff or whatever that guy's name was).

Joemailman
05-14-2013, 01:33 PM
A couple scouting reports I read aren't high on his run blocking. He may need some developmental time due to poor technique. Probably a prime candidate for the practice squad.

http://thefootballexpert.com/nfl-draft-scouting-reports/patrick-lewis-c-texas-am/

Fritz
05-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Wow. Lewis sounds exactly like a prototypical Packer center: smart, good pass blocker, not very physical as a run blocker.

Like Scott Wells and Jeff Sabado and EDS.

And yes, I am baiting Wist.

Joemailman
05-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Reading that scouting report, I'm not sure if his issue is strength or technique. Hard to be a physical in the run game if your pad level isn't right.

RashanGary
05-14-2013, 08:54 PM

MM has said in the past, as have many other football people, that championships are won in the offseason. Sherrod had surgery in January. That's not a healthy offseason and will affect his preparation for the season. The last time Sherrod was able to play football he wasn't very good at it. Him not having a good offseason hurts him.

RashanGary
05-14-2013, 09:04 PM

Props Patler,

If the goal was to give a short, sweet, accurate interpretation of the Packers training camp OL situation, this was pretty awesome. If you put one together for each position group, honestly, I think anyone going to TC or interested in TC (people who don't put the type of hours into the Packers we do) I think they'd be getting a rock solid, easy to read, easy to grasp idea of what's happening with the Packers.

I like yours better than the writers because I think you're as good as anyone at having an idea of what types of things a GM weighs *probably comes, in part, from being a good listener. You often bring up things TT, Wolf or others have said in the past.* Your reasoning makes sense, but more than that, the fact that the things you think could happen, do happen a lot.

Patler
05-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Props Patler,

Thanks JH. Very kind of you to say those things. I don't think I have any great insight, I just try to remember that completing a roster isn't always about taking just the best players at each position. Consideration has to be given to side issues, such as

- covering yourself with the fewer players that are available on game day if multiple injuries strike. That means some of your reserves have to be able to play a couple positions in a pinch. Especially true on the O-line, where they like to have only 7 active for the games. You have to be able to finish the game if both guards get hurt, or both tackles. You have to have a plan if two centers go down. Same is true for the DBs. A guy like Bush that can finish a game for you at either CB or safety has added value as a reserve over one who is only a corner or only a safety.

- Your last LBs, DBs and sometimes WRs have to be able to contribute on STs or they won't be active on game days. These are guys who won't see the field on O or D unless numerous injuries occur at the same position, so their ability at their position is of less importance, but they can have impact every week on STs. Again, added value for a guy like Bush.

- If a bunch of injuries hit to the same position, the last line reserve might have to finish the game, but isn't necessarily the guy you will go with the next week as a starter or 1st line reserve. We've seen the Packers go to the street for a player to move in ahead of the guy who is there mostly for STs or because he was versatile enough to finish a game with at several positions.

- Having game day inactives allows you to keep a guy strictly for development. He won't move up if injuries hit. A street FA will be brought in instead. Giacomini was like that.

- The salary cap always matters, but isn't always controlling.

bobblehead
05-15-2013, 09:10 AM

Advantage Datko
Height - 78/77
20 yard - 2.91/3.01
10 yard - 1.76/1.81
vertical - 29.5/28.0
broad - 100 in./97 in.

Advantage Sherrod
weight - 321/315
40 yard - 5.18/5.19
arm length - 35.38/33.88
3 cone drill - 7.43/7.71

For an LT, Sherrod wins the 2 most important though. Arms and 3 cone. The fact that Datko creams him in the 10 yard is a feather for him though. Which one is stronger would be my tie breaker.

bobblehead
05-15-2013, 09:21 AM

By seasons end:

Sherrod Sitton Lang Barclay Bulaga

ITs easy to predict....being right is MUCH harder.

RashanGary
05-15-2013, 09:39 AM
For an LT, Sherrod wins the 2 most important though. Arms and 3 cone. The fact that Datko creams him in the 10 yard is a feather for him though. Which one is stronger would be my tie breaker.

I thought it was the short shuttle that was more important. 3-cone shows agility while running and weaving. Short shuttle shows lateral agility a little more.

So the fat ass can run and weave :) Datko beat him in the short shuttle, showing he might have better lateral/slide agility.

3irty1
05-15-2013, 11:00 AM
I thought it was the short shuttle that was more important. 3-cone shows agility while running and weaving. Short shuttle shows lateral agility a little more.

So the fat ass can run and weave :) Datko beat him in the short shuttle, showing he might have better lateral/slide agility.

They seem about equal at least in Ted's eyes. He typically picks guys that are at least a 4.6 in the SS and 7.6 in the 3-cone if you look at history. Neither of those is particularly easy to achieve for a 310 pound dude.

3irty1
05-15-2013, 11:20 AM
By seasons end:

Sherrod Sitton Lang Barclay Bulaga

ITs easy to predict....being right is MUCH harder.

That line you've got would be awesome but I don't think MM will walk back his decision of moving Bulaga. Would be nice though because I'd like to see him get paid as a RT instead of a LT after this season, and its hard to imagine a happy ending for the Sherrod saga that doesn't end with him at LT. I like Barclay best long term as a guard but I'd be surprised if our best 5 involved him at guard this year rather than EDS at center and Lang at guard. I have a feeling it will go more like this:

Bulaga, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Bakhitiari

EDS is going to be hard to keep out of the lineup IMO but after this year he'll be a FA and Tretter can step in. Bakhitiari is my pick to win in an open competition between Sherrod, Datko, Barclay, and field. He's got pass blocking feet and a RT attitude. This would be a really tough and nasty line.

swede
05-15-2013, 12:06 PM
That line you've got would be awesome but I don't think MM will walk back his decision of moving Bulaga. Would be nice though because I'd like to see him get paid as a RT instead of a LT after this season, and its hard to imagine a happy ending for the Sherrod saga that doesn't end with him at LT. I like Barclay best long term as a guard but I'd be surprised if our best 5 involved him at guard this year rather than EDS at center and Lang at guard. I have a feeling it will go more like this:

Bulaga, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Bakhitiari

EDS is going to be hard to keep out of the lineup IMO but after this year he'll be a FA and Tretter can step in. Bakhitiari is my pick to win in an open competition between Sherrod, Datko, Barclay, and field. He's got pass blocking feet and a RT attitude. This would be a really tough and nasty line.

I like this, but a lot rides on the back of Bakhtiari as a rookie. I think Bakhtiari/Barclay/Tretter get the real looks at RT. Newhouse will be gone and Sherrod is on the 53 nominally backing up LT but actually being a game day inactive.

Patler
05-15-2013, 12:12 PM
I think people are dismissing Newhouse too quickly. As the only experienced LT on the roster, in view of Bulaga's injury history, I think unseating Newhouse from the roster will be more difficult than people think.

swede
05-15-2013, 12:20 PM
I think people are dismissing Newhouse too quickly. As the only experienced LT on the roster, in view of Bulaga's injury history, I think unseating Newhouse from the roster will be more difficult than people think.

Sherrod then? We can't keep two tackle only guys, can we? Neither show the ability to run block. Newhouse has topped out all potential but he is more versatile. The whole offensive line shuffle comes about because we know Newhouse isn't that good and we don't know for certain that Sherrod will be healthy, and if he is healthy we don't know for certain that he will be good.

Picking two offensive tackles was a message to somebody; I thought it might be to two offensive tackles already on the team.

ps. I am sorry for contributing to the jacking of the "laugh at the Bears" thread. I will post any other stuff to our own O-line thread.

Patler
05-15-2013, 12:25 PM
I could see them keeping 10 O-linemen, including both Sherrod and Newhouse.

3irty1
05-15-2013, 12:50 PM
I could see them keeping 10 O-linemen, including both Sherrod and Newhouse.

I'd like to see Newhouse traded. I feel like he's probably a backup here on a line with too many backups of which he has the most value. If he could bring a draft pick that would net us something while preventing the cut of another quality player.

smuggler
05-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Would we get much more than the 5th rounder that we invested in him? Probably not. He's a good dude, too, the kind you don't usually like to trade. Maybe that's part of the draw for another team, but I don't think we'd get a reasonable return on him. :/

bobblehead
05-15-2013, 07:46 PM

He has better explosiveness, the three cone is for lateral movement and balance. For the LT protecting the blindside I want the agility. For drive blocking I will take the 10 yard and SS. I think both project to LT, but if I had to choose, Sherrod is LT, Datko is RT (based strictly on those numbers). Numbers dont' always tell the story though.

Fritz
05-16-2013, 09:13 AM
I am rooting for both Sherrod and Datko, but I think Datko actually has a better chance of contributing this year. In fact, I believe he'll win the right tackle job, and I think Sherrod will be PUP'd and then Ir'd, unless there are serious tackle injuries by week seven.

The problem with this thread is that as fun as it is to make fun of the Bears' apparently dumb first round pick of Carimini, our own first round pick at left tackle hasn't done much, though it in my opinion is more due to injury.

RashanGary
05-16-2013, 09:29 AM
There could be some big surprises this year, and definitely in the coming years. Who knows if the high potential duo of Sherrod and Datko could pan out and unseat Bulaga some day (both far superior athletes than Bulaga). Barclay and Bakhtiari could take Langs spot some day. Lang, Tretter or Van Rotten could take EDS's. Datko, Barclay, Bakhtiari, Newhouse, anyone could have the RT.

It's a big cluster fuck right now, really. There are some things you can narrow out, but there are enough little things that aren't likely to happen, but not completely unlikely either to make it for one hell of a question mark. This year, I guess LT to RG are somewhat set, but we have enough developing talent where you just never know who may really impress in the coming months.

RashanGary
05-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Bulaga - Solid Piece
Sitton - Excellent piece
Lang - Solid piece

Then we have to get 2 more pieces out of our next 8 players (one in every 4) to have a good OL.

Barclay
Datko
Sherrod
EDS
Bakhtiari
Newhouse
Tretter
Van Rotten

Individually, I don't think you would say any one of those guys is a good bet to be good, but for all 8 of them to be below average players, those are long odds too. We just have so many, someone is bound to rise to the forefront.

Fritz
05-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Bulaga - Solid Piece
Sitton - Excellent piece
Lang - Solid piece

Then we have to get 2 more pieces out of our next 8 players (one in every 4) to have a good OL.

Barclay
Datko
Sherrod
EDS
Bakhtiari
Newhouse
Tretter
Van Rotten

Individually, I don't think you would say any one of those guys is a good bet to be good, but for all 8 of them to be below average players, those are long odds too. We just have so many, someone is bound to rise to the forefront.

Is it just me or does this team seem deeper in several positions than it has in the past? I see more competition than in the last couple years. I like the tone so far.

3irty1
05-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Is it just me or does this team seem deeper in several positions than it has in the past? I see more competition than in the last couple years. I like the tone so far.

I think it only looks that way because they are relatively healthy right now.

Pugger
05-16-2013, 11:08 AM
I am rooting for both Sherrod and Datko, but I think Datko actually has a better chance of contributing this year. In fact, I believe he'll win the right tackle job, and I think Sherrod will be PUP'd and then Ir'd, unless there are serious tackle injuries by week seven.

The problem with this thread is that as fun as it is to make fun of the Bears' apparently dumb first round pick of Carimini, our own first round pick at left tackle hasn't done much, though it in my opinion is more due to injury.

We are all assuming Sherrod may not be ready to play but no one seems to know what his health status is right now. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

Fritz
05-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Usually when we don't know someone's health status we do know their health status - and it's not good.

Smeefers
05-19-2013, 08:42 AM
I also think it's Newhouse is around to stay. You don't toss a guy like that just because you have prospects. Newhouse is a proven starter for the last couple years. Is he the best tackle out there? God no, he's not even good. He was pretty much average in my book. When you compare him to all the other LT's in the league, he was near the bottom. When you compare him to all the OL in the league though, he's probably in the upper half. If you disagree, that's fine, but the way that I look at it is like this; LT is the best of the best of the best on the OL. There were LT's in the league that were worse than Newhouse that bears guy, Webb I think, for one. So Being a bad LT isn't better than being a good G or C, but it is better than being an average G or C, simply because of the talent you face, right?

So I think to myself, Newhouse has been going up against the clay mathews of the league, right? He's held his own... kind of. Well, with help. He hasn't excelled, but he hasn't screwed the pooch either. How is this guy going to perform when he's going up against the CJ Wilson's of the league? I don't think it's going to be as bad as people think. He may even be that breakout player of the year for the pack.

That RT spot is his to loose. MM has said as much. Wait for him to loose it before you trade him away.

bobblehead
05-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Usually when we don't know someone's health status we do know their health status - and it's not good.

Winner. Give him his money Shirley.

pbmax
05-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Winner. Give him his money Shirley.

Nice to know there is another Norman Chad reader out there.