PDA

View Full Version : Jarrett Boykin: What are your expectations?

3irty1
05-15-2013, 08:07 AM
With the loss of Jennings and Driver, Boykin was the defacto 4th receiver but he'll now have a pair of 7th round picks to battle for that job. Boykin is a pretty "high floor low ceiling" receiver IMO. He does all the small things well, but he's pretty slow which will limit the damage he can do in an offense that spreads the ball around so well.

I think Boykin will get a lot of snaps this year on the outside and will be the next up should something happen to Jordy or Jones. The Packers seem intent on running the ball this season and in that regard Boykin is probably a better blocker than a few of our tight ends. I believe only the Grand Valley State receiver makes the 53 and really only sees the field to run the occasional fly route.

What fate do you predict for Mr. Boykin?

pbmax
05-15-2013, 08:09 AM
If we keep five, there are two spots, correct? Jones, Nelson, Cobb, Draft and Develop.

I would expect Boykin to get on spot on ST alone unless he comes a cropper. One draft pick makes the roster and the other gets moved to PS.

Fritz
05-15-2013, 08:17 AM
If we keep five, there are two spots, correct? Jones, Nelson, Cobb, Draft and Develop.

I would expect Boykin to get on spot on ST alone unless he comes a cropper. One draft pick makes the roster and the other gets moved to PS.

I like the guy. Maybe he'll be a big red zone target, and the guy you know will make the tough catch on third and three.

rbaloha1
05-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Antonio Freeman

RashanGary
05-15-2013, 09:27 AM
33 catches, 425 yards, 1 TD

Patler
05-15-2013, 09:36 AM
It's really hard to say. Historically, there have been a lot of young WRs come through GB that look like they might have what it takes, but just a few years later they are gone and no where to be found. I think the offense and the QBs especially have made it so a guy with good effort becomes noticeable, even if he really doesn't have much of a future in the league.

I suspect Boykin and the two draft picks will look OK in preseason, and a couple will be kept. Whether any of them eventually emerges as a real player is uncertain.

Upnorth
05-15-2013, 09:50 AM
I expect him to step up his play if/when one of the important wr's gets injured. I expect him to contribute on ST's. I hope the two draft picks out play him and blow us away with skill.

Packers4Glory
05-15-2013, 10:03 AM
I figure one of the 7th rounders will make the roster, the other to the PS. Boykin's time is now. if he doesn't have a good camp/pre I can see him being cut.

pittstang5
05-15-2013, 10:11 AM

Jeremy Ross will be in that mix too.

3irty1
05-15-2013, 10:14 AM
I think Ross is toast. Sounds like Franklin is making McCarthy's loins tingle in the return game and Ross doesn't have much value outside of that. Boykin is wayyyy ahead of him as a WR and the rookies likely are as well.

Patler
05-15-2013, 12:19 PM
I think Ross is toast. Sounds like Franklin is making McCarthy's loins tingle in the return game and Ross doesn't have much value outside of that. Boykin is wayyyy ahead of him as a WR and the rookies likely are as well.

Gotta admit though, Ross looked darned good running with the ball. The muff was unfortunate, but Cobb has had a bunch of those, too.

smuggler
05-15-2013, 12:27 PM
My honest expectations for Boykin are for him to make the team and never play. Anything more than that is gravy.

MadScientist
05-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I expect he will be cut at the end of camp when others out play him. He made the team last year because Gurly and Borell tanked in camp, not because he was a stud. Keep shuffling the bottom of the roster around until someone shows up who is not a JAG.

Packgator
05-15-2013, 02:10 PM
33 catches, 425 yards, 1 TD

I'd take that from him in a heartbeat.

Patler
05-15-2013, 03:26 PM
33 catches, 425 yards, 1 TDI'd take that from him in a heartbeat.

Unless it is because one or more of Jones, Nelson and Cobb has even less.

Freak Out
05-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Cut before the regular season.

Brandon494
05-15-2013, 11:18 PM
He'll easily be the 4th WR, there is a reason they kept this guy on the roster last season. Yes the two rookies do have speed over him but they don't have the experience and knowledge of the playbook. If he can make the roster with Jennings and Driver on the team I pretty sure he can beat two 7th round draft picks.

Joemailman
05-15-2013, 11:32 PM
I expect he will be cut at the end of camp when others out play him. He made the team last year because Gurly and Borell tanked in camp, not because he was a stud. Keep shuffling the bottom of the roster around until someone shows up who is not a JAG.

Boykin was very noticeable in the preseason practices I went to last year. In the preseason games, he was the Packers leading receiver, and 8th overall in the NFL. He had an outstanding training camp. He did not make the team by default.

woodbuck27
05-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Boykin was very noticeable in the preseason practices I went to last year. In the preseason games, he was the Packers leading receiver, and 8th overall in the NFL. He had an outstanding training camp. He did not make the team by default.

This post bodes well for Jarrett Boykin.

Fritz
05-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Gotta admit though, Ross looked darned good running with the ball. The muff was unfortunate, but Cobb has had a bunch of those, too.

How true that is.

I'd like to see Ross given every chance to make it as a return man. If he can show that A) he can hang onto the ball consistently, and B) he's special on returns, and C) he can function as a wide receiver if need be, then he'd be worth a roster spot.

pbmax
05-16-2013, 09:46 AM
I'd be very happy if someone looked better than Ross, but every time we get a decent returner it seems that they move on; either to the starting lineup (which is the way it should work on this team) or to another team because of roster composition.

I just want one good season of returns to remind me of Allen Rossum then we can go back to best of the bad options.

Fritz
05-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Ross really ran north-south, and I liked that. Cobb needs to be off ST, not ony for his health, but because he danced too much.

RashanGary
05-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Ross really ran north-south, and I liked that. Cobb needs to be off ST, not ony for his health, but because he danced too much.

He did seem to be a little better than Cobb, oddly. Reminded me a little of Jacoby Jones.

Brandon494
05-18-2013, 01:05 AM
Jonathan Franklin and Micah Hyde both have return experience in college, I could see either one getting the opportunity to win the return job. Ross is ok but nothing special IMO, a better athlete then football player.

RashanGary
05-18-2013, 01:43 AM
Jonathan Franklin and Micah Hyde both have return experience in college, I could see either one getting the opportunity to win the return job. Ross is ok but nothing special IMO, a better athlete then football player.

He had very limited opportunities, but in that time, I don't know how you could make that judgement considering he did so damn well with the few chances he had (muffed punt aside.)

I wanna say his average would have been up quite a bit more as I think he had a long return called back for a penalty. I could be wrong.

Either way though, his production was on par with Cobb's in the limited time we got to see him return.

Like Fritz said above, he runs north and south (a big positive IMO.) And I thought he looked a clear step faster than Cobb. Ross (in my view) has game breaking football speed. He'll be a returner somewhere. I think his return game is explosive, reminds me of Jacoby Jones.

Brandon494
05-18-2013, 03:00 AM
The guy has 0 career catches, 4 punt returns, and 3 kick off returns. Yes he did well last season with his opportunities but like I said hes a better athlete then football player. I think Boykin is by far better WR/football player and I believe one of the 7th rounder WRs lock up the 5th WR spot. I don't see us keeping 6 WRs and Ross imo is the odd man out. Hes not on the same level as Jacoby Jones and I feel a player like Franklin could easily take over the duties next season.

Smeefers
05-19-2013, 08:59 AM
It all comes down to what you need. Is it pretty much accepted knowledge that Charles Johnson kid is going to make our roster or is there still a real debate about that? For recievers we have Finley, Nelson, Jones and Cobb. Nobody else is going to get any reasonable production. If Ross competes well for the returner job, which he very well could - just because his experience with the increased speed of the game, he would be hard to get rid of. Boykin is a talented receiver, but you have to look at the team you're on. We already have a much better Boykin on the roster and his name is James Jones. Simply because of his physical abilities, I think Johnson is going to see more snaps this year than Boykin will. Throw all those thoughts together and mix them around and it's hard to see Boykin staying on the team. Someone will pick him up, he'd be a good slot receiver for the Jags or someone, but on this talented team he's never going to shine.

Simply put, I think we need returners more than we need receivers.

rbaloha1
05-19-2013, 09:13 AM
It all comes down to what you need. Is it pretty much accepted knowledge that Charles Johnson kid is going to make our roster or is there still a real debate about that? For recievers we have Finley, Nelson, Jones and Cobb. Nobody else is going to get any reasonable production. If Ross competes well for the returner job, which he very well could - just because his experience with the increased speed of the game, he would be hard to get rid of. Boykin is a talented receiver, but you have to look at the team you're on. We already have a much better Boykin on the roster and his name is James Jones. Simply because of his physical abilities, I think Johnson is going to see more snaps this year than Boykin will. Throw all those thoughts together and mix them around and it's hard to see Boykin staying on the team. Someone will pick him up, he'd be a good slot receiver for the Jags or someone, but on this talented team he's never going to shine.

Johnson is a seventh round pick -- which automatically makes him a longshot to make the active roster.

Lets wait until preseason.

Joemailman
05-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Johnson has a ton to learn about route running. I actually think Dorsey has a better chance of making the 53, although no one talks about him. I think Johnson is headed for PS, unless he shows enough in preseason games that you can't put him there without another team grabbing him. I think Boykin makes the team if he doesn't regress. He'd be insurance in the event Jones leaves in FA next year.

pbmax
05-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Johnson has a ton to learn about route running. I actually think Dorsey has a better chance of making the 53, although no one talks about him. I think Johnson is headed for PS, unless he shows enough in preseason games that you can't put him there without another team grabbing him. I think Boykin makes the team if he doesn't regress. He'd be insurance in the event Jones leaves in FA next year.

The beat writers agree with this. But its hard not to root for the GVS kid given his backstory.

Brandon494
05-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Ross may very well make the team because of his return skills but I don't see them cutting Boykin over him. There is a reason TT kept Boykin on a roster last season loaded with WRs. Hes does't have the flashy speed but I really like his game. He might have the best hands of any WR on the team, the guys hands are HUGE.

As far as Charles Johnson goes he still has to prove that he can play against NFL talent. Hes 2 years older then Boykin, extremely raw, and is far from a lock. Like someone said in the post above, Dorsey from Maryland might make the team over him. Either way I do like the potential of both 7th round WRs. Another rookie to keep in mind is RB Franklin, I think he'll get a shot at returner as well.

3irty1
05-20-2013, 07:26 AM
I think Johnson lasts about 10 minutes on the PS. Not saying that means Dorsey won't beat him out just saying Johnson's upside is enough to get him poached for sure. This was an outrageously deep WR class.