PDA

View Full Version : What player(s) do you expect to break out this season?

3irty1
05-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Rookies are fun but most of the time they turn out to play like rookies. Who on the roster can you predict will break out this season? Criteria: No picking bounce back guys like Raji or Jolly or anything. I'm talking about guys for whom the light will go on.

pittstang5
05-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Rookies are fun but most of the time they turn out to play like rookies. Who on the roster can you predict will break out this season? Criteria: No picking bounce back guys like Raji or Jolly or anything. I'm talking about guys for whom the light will go on.

Realistically - Andrew Quarless

Hopeful the light turns on, but have my doubts - Morgan Burnett

smuggler
05-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Hoping for Perry/Moses or Neal/DJones

Probably going to be Burnett, though.

pbmax
05-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Perry, Moses and Manning.

Basically if you are a LB (or a Offensive Tackle) I am rooting for you to come out of nowhere and make it obvious you should start.

Zool
05-15-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm hoping that House comes in and plays well enough for TWill to be gone next year without issue.

I'm guessing it's either Quarless or one of the 38 OLineman vying for a job.

MadScientist
05-15-2013, 01:46 PM
McMillian. He showed some promise last year, but saftey is a tricky position for a rookie (Sharper and Collins both struggled early). This year the light goes on and he makes the position a strength for the Packers.

hoosier
05-15-2013, 01:52 PM
House sounds right to me. He had some moments last year, and it wouldn't be surprising to see him emerge as their most physical corner this year and allow them to play more man defense.

Biggest improvement, though, might come from Randall Cobb. They probably spread it around too much for any one receiver to have a huge year statistically, but Cobb will clearly establish himself as their most dangerous receiver and all-around threat.

Packgator
05-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Perry, Moses and Manning.

Perry would be a huge boost.

rbaloha1
05-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Jarret Bush -- nah just joking.

Perry, Alex Green and Crosby

3irty1
05-15-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm thinking Mike Neal is ripe for a breakout.

rbaloha1
05-15-2013, 03:02 PM
I'm thinking Mike Neal is ripe for a breakout.

Do not have faith in this fake tough guy.

RashanGary
05-15-2013, 04:48 PM
i could see Neal, Mike Daniels, Boykin, House, Moses, Barclay and maybe Datko.

Smidgeon
05-15-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm hoping Perry, McMillian, and Quarless (in that order).

I'm expecting Burnett, House, and someone on the O-Line.

Players who've already broken out previously but need to do it again/consistently: Finley, Tramontana, Raji.

Joemailman
05-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Fergy is due for a breakout year.

woodbuck27
05-15-2013, 06:19 PM
McMillian. He showed some promise last year, but saftey is a tricky position for a rookie (Sharper and Collins both struggled early). This year the light goes on and he makes the position a strength for the Packers.

Terron McMillian may start to get it near seasons end. By then he'll have nearly two years in.

I would place my bet on (S) Morgan Burnett to show the best and most consistent step up in his game. He's showing me real promise already.

PACKERS!

The Shadow
05-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Pimples or performance?

bobblehead
05-15-2013, 07:08 PM
This is hard for me to pigeon hole one guy, but how about defensive backfield. I think we are loaded with talent back there and several guys will step up. I love both Mcmillan and Richardson and actually believe they are the future not Burnett. Mcmillian this year, and Richardson next. House and Heyward are looking the part and should improve. Shields, I believe, is an all pro waiting to happen. In the playoffs he was the only DB hitting besides CWood. Guy has sick talent and instincts (when he wants to play). I think all of this is the number one reason a) we didn't draft a safety and b) TWill may be expendable if he isn't looking like that guy who beat Atlanta damn near single handedly.

pittstang5
05-15-2013, 07:43 PM
This is hard for me to pigeon hole one guy, but how about defensive backfield. I think we are loaded with talent back there and several guys will step up. I love both Mcmillan and Richardson and actually believe they are the future not Burnett. Mcmillian this year, and Richardson next. House and Heyward are looking the part and should improve. Shields, I believe, is an all pro waiting to happen. In the playoffs he was the only DB hitting besides CWood. Guy has sick talent and instincts (when he wants to play). I think all of this is the number one reason a) we didn't draft a safety and b) TWill may be expendable if he isn't looking like that guy who beat Atlanta damn near single handedly.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks Burnett isn't all that and a bag of chips. He blows too many assignments and unlike Collins, doesn't have the speed to make up for it.

God, I miss Nick Collins.

MadtownPacker
05-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Think I might even buy his jersey.
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/15/55/12/3592838/3/628x471.jpg

George Cumby
05-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Do not have faith in this fake tough guy.

I'm with you one this one.

Offense: Datko

Defense: house, but I hope for Perry.

Brandon494
05-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Hayward of course, House, Perry, and hopefully Jones or Neal. I really think we could be back to a solid defense this season.

smuggler
05-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Think I might even buy his jersey.
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/15/55/12/3592838/3/628x471.jpg

He was playing at an All-Pro level last year. He was pro level coming out of Vandy and what you saw last season is pretty much his ceiling.

Iron Mike
05-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Brandon Bostick.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Brandon+Bostick+Kansas+City+Chiefs+v+Green+WS9XACZ 3do5l.jpg

3irty1
05-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Not sure what a Hayward breakout would look like. Guy was already one of the top slot guys in the league last year.

Fritz
05-16-2013, 08:30 AM
I'm with you one this one.

Offense: Datko

Defense: house, but I hope for Perry.

Datko, House, Burnett - all will:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZo9PdNR_jgqI9b25y_nugfYQTxXRWA zhzys1pld8BmF1a2pUzOg

denverYooper
05-16-2013, 12:15 PM
CJ Wilson.

Carolina_Packer
05-16-2013, 02:19 PM

It's pretty obvious that the Packers are high on him, or they at least want to see if their fourth round investment will pay off before they commit any pick that high to the position. The problem is, if McMillan gets hurt and Sean Richardson has to play is that enough depth? I know it didn't work out with the Illinois State kid who was going to sign as a safety (didn't pass his physical apparently). I was surprised they didn't scoop up a Robert Lester (2 down player at this point, but an Alabama guy who was well coached) before Carolina nabbed him. I would agree that this is a big year for McMillan and if he doesn't develop (health assumed) then they are going to have to look at another safety next year.

George Cumby
05-16-2013, 08:26 PM
CJ Wilson.

That would be a pleasant surprise.

wootah
05-17-2013, 01:17 AM
Just like last year, I'm selecting Ryan Taylor. The guy has to break out someday, right?

http://www.roemerphotoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/24-Packers-Bike-Patrol.jpg

Fritz
05-17-2013, 07:58 AM
He looks like he needs to learn to ride a bike first.

Pugger
05-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Datko, House, Burnett - all will:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZo9PdNR_jgqI9b25y_nugfYQTxXRWA zhzys1pld8BmF1a2pUzOg

This kid needs Proactive - which actually works BTW.

Fritz
05-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Why does he need Proactiv? He's breaking out this year!

hoosier
05-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks for turning this thread into a vomitorium.

Fritz
05-17-2013, 10:52 AM
A little play on words never hurt anyone.

And besides, it is going to be Neal and House this year, with Perry not close behind!

MadtownPacker
05-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Not sure what a Hayward breakout would look like. Guy was already one of the top slot guys in the league last year.
True. I guess the fact I would buy his jersey kinda disqualifies him.

rbaloha1
05-17-2013, 01:31 PM
That would be a pleasant surprise.

and means Jones is a potential bust.

Mazzin
05-17-2013, 02:02 PM
He was playing at an All-Pro level last year. He was pro level coming out of Vandy and what you saw last season is pretty much his ceiling.

I understand, but do you truly believe a player in his rookie year is AT HIS CEILING? Can you elaborate? Like do you not think that things could slow down for him more and he get even better?

Brandon494
05-17-2013, 02:12 PM
I understand, but do you truly believe a player in his rookie year is AT HIS CEILING? Can you elaborate? Like do you not think that things could slow down for him more and he get even better?

I don't think he has hit his ceiling yet, just because a guy had 6 picks doesn't mean he can't improve in other areas of his game. Hes not the most athletic guy but he knows how to play the game.

Guess Mayock knows what he is talking about, here's what he said on draft day last season.

Mayock's take: "He's one of the most instinctive corners in this draft. After Morris Claiborne, Hayward has the best ball skills of any of the corners in this draft. I love this pick for the Packers."

rbaloha1
05-17-2013, 02:30 PM
I don't think he has hit his ceiling yet, just because a guy had 6 picks doesn't mean he can't improve in other areas of his game. Hes not the most athletic guy but he knows how to play the game.

Guess Mayock knows what he is talking about, here's what he said on draft day last season.

Maybe TH could get to Charles Woodson 2009-2010 levels.

Shoal
05-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Lacy....1,000 yards.

Smidgeon
05-17-2013, 05:43 PM
I've thought about this more, and I expect ILB Manning to be a much better player. He may not "break out" this year, but I expect big things out of him.

Joemailman
05-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Brandon Bostick.

Finley has underachieved and the other guys haven't stepped up. Bostick is an athletic guy who has moved his weight up to 260. With Finley in the final year of his contract and possibly not coming back, the young guys will be given opportunities to show they can do the job.

RashanGary
05-17-2013, 09:37 PM
I've thought about this more, and I expect ILB Manning to be a much better player. He may not "break out" this year, but I expect big things out of him.

That's an interesting one I didn't think of. Manning certainly has some intrigue factor. In college, it sounded like he was an impact player. Injuries dropped him and probably affected his combine too. Hopefully he had a great offseason and the big plays he made in college are just who he is as a football player.

Bretsky
05-17-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm going with Neal....again............Manning.....they must see something in him if they were shoppin Bishop.............and hopefully McMillen

smuggler
05-18-2013, 05:55 AM

I think the best slot corner in the league is a pretty good ceiling for a player like Heyward. I also think it's much more likely that his play declines than elevates in 2013. I'd be happy to be wrong, but he was just too good when he played last season to match it.

Carolina_Packer
05-18-2013, 11:19 AM

I wonder if he was a healthy scratch for most of the season, or does anyone recall him dressing for a game? You'd think with all the LB's going down he would have had his chance for playing time. I don't really recall seeing him get much playing time; perhaps on special teams.

smuggler
05-18-2013, 11:20 AM
He played in a few games, but never got any significant playing time.

MadtownPacker
05-18-2013, 11:53 AM
I think the best slot corner in the league is a pretty good ceiling for a player like Heyward. I also think it's much more likely that his play declines than elevates in 2013. I'd be happy to be wrong, but he was just too good when he played last season to match it.Maybe you're right about him not getting any better. I just don't see why he would drop off. He didn't get lucky on a bunch of fluke plays. He took that shit on every INT. On some it looked like he was the WR. He is like Woodson, just has a sense for the ball. Let's say offenses stop throwing towards him as much so he has less INTs is that considered a decline? If he has the same # of INTs is that consider improvement? He is another TT diamond IMO and we haven't seen the best yet.

Brandon494
05-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Just because a guy has 6 INTs his rookie season doesn't mean hes reach his "ceiling". I think the main reason he got so many picks last season was because he was a rookie and teams were trying to pick on him. I'm with the Mexican on this, I think TT found a gem with this Hayward.

Smeefers
05-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Hope for the best and expect the worse I suppose. I think Hayward has the tools to be great. I also remember drooling on myself while giving Sam Shields high praises and he pretty much hit his ceiling his rookie year. SS hasn't gotten any worse really, he's just been scouted now. QB's know what he'll bite at and all that other stuff they keep an eye on. The same will be true for Hayward. I can definitely see him taking a dip this year and then climbing back up to where he was at as a pretty darn good player. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect to be.

rbaloha1
05-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Hope for the best and expect the worse I suppose. I think Hayward has the tools to be great. I also remember drooling on myself while giving Sam Shields high praises and he pretty much hit his ceiling his rookie year. SS hasn't gotten any worse really, he's just been scouted now. QB's know what he'll bite at and all that other stuff they keep an eye on. The same will be true for Hayward. I can definitely see him taking a dip this year and then climbing back up to where he was at as a pretty darn good player. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect to be.

Shields is still evolving -- criticized for tackling but certainly improved in this area big time. Bulked up and is on the verge of becoming a pro bowl player.

pbmax
05-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Yeah, give Shields credit. Had a hard camp (couple of nagging injuries) and under enormous pressure to tackle better. He got healthy and tackled better. That defines coachable in my book.

Joemailman
05-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Yeah, give Shields credit. Had a hard camp (couple of nagging injuries) and under enormous pressure to tackle better. He got healthy and tackled better. That defines coachable in my book.

He got a break when House got hurt, but then he took advantage. The CB's will be interesting to watch in TC this year. If House is healthy, Tramon will have a battle on his hands to keep the starting job. And if he can't keep the starting job, do you pay him 6 million?

Brandon494
05-19-2013, 12:25 PM
The thing also with Shields is you have to remember CB was still a position he was learning his rookie season having played WR in college his first three years. He did have a sophomore slump but I mean our defense was shit that year.

Also I don't understand this Tramon Williams getting cut talk, the guy was still our #1 CB last season. Yes House showed promise last year in training camp but that doesn't mean hes ready to take on other teams #1 WRs. The real battle will be between Shields and House in training camp, Williams isn't losing his job.

pbmax
05-19-2013, 12:53 PM
The thing also with Shields is you have to remember CB was still a position he was learning his rookie season having played WR in college his first three years. He did have a sophomore slump but I mean our defense was shit that year.

Also I don't understand this Tramon Williams getting cut talk, the guy was still our #1 CB last season. Yes House showed promise last year in training camp but that doesn't mean hes ready to take on other teams #1 WRs. The real battle will be between Shields and House in training camp, Williams isn't losing his job.

He was, and is, the most proven, but 2012 was year #2 below his peak performance in the middle of a contract that envisioned more production.

He's not the 4th worst CB, but he is the most expensive. He also could still be getting healthier and stronger, so a return to form wouldn't be out of the question.

Carolina_Packer
05-19-2013, 07:39 PM

That said, if Tramon has an off-year and House stays healthy/has a productive year and Shields goes next-level, that will give the Packers leverage to possibly ask Williams to lower his cap number which will be 9.5 in 2014 (the last year of his current deal).

Here is Tramon's contract info (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/tramon-williams/).

rbaloha1
05-19-2013, 08:02 PM

TW has not been the same player since the super bowl. Avoids contact, poor tackler, consistently gets beat with a huge cap number.

If House or Hayward prove to be more consistent its aloha TW.

Joemailman
05-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Tramon was definitely passing up opportunities to tackle late last season. My concern is that as the season wore on, that shoulder was getting worse, not better. Tramon at 100% may be better than Hayward or House at 100%, but is that true if Tramon is at 70%? I'm not so sure, and I don't think the coaching staff would be afraid to make a change if need be.

http://www.totalpackers.com/2013/01/17/tramon-williams-days-in-green-bay-look-numbered/

“It’s going to be interesting to see who are going to be the guys who run out there on Day One,” Whitt said, “because right now I couldn’t tell you who’s going to do what because the way that Sam and Casey have played. And with Tramon and House there, there’s four guys that are vying for two spots. Maybe three with nickel. It will be interesting to see who gets it.”

Brandon494
05-19-2013, 08:38 PM
That article is 4 months old, if they were going to get rid of Williams for salary reasons they would have done it by know. I also like how the article says Williams isn't even a top three secondary player for us and hinted at cutting him before cutting Woodson....how did that work out?

rbaloha1
05-19-2013, 08:57 PM
That article is 4 months old, if they were going to get rid of Williams for salary reasons they would have done it by know. I also like how the article says Williams isn't even a top three secondary player for us and hinted at cutting him before cutting Woodson....how did that work out?

Why cut TW now when others body of work is too small? Should others emerge it may be sayonara.

Joemailman
05-19-2013, 10:13 PM

I don't think so. The only reason they would get rid of Williams is if the shoulder continues to be a problem. They'll want to give Williams as much time as possible to show he can get back to 2010 form. But if he can't, I don't think releasing him would be out of the question. It's not likely to happen, but under the right circumstances it could.

RashanGary
05-19-2013, 10:18 PM
I don't think so. The only reason they would get rid of Williams is if the shoulder continues to be a problem. They'll want to give Williams as much time as possible to show he can get back to 2010 form. But if he can't, I don't think releasing him would be out of the question. It's not likely to happen, but under the right circumstances it could.

Makes sense.

pbmax
05-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Could happen or they could ask for a salary reduction, though I am not sure if the Packers have pulled that before on vets in camp rather than in March. They need to do it before the week of the first game so his salary is not guaranteed.

Just remember that part time players with high salary numbers have been kept on the roster before, while everyone expected them to be cut loose (KGB).

Brandon494
05-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Listen we just cut Woodson and even though I like House he is still unproven. So lets say we do cut Williams, that leaves us with Shields, Hayward, and House as our starting CBs. If any one of those guys goes down then we are left with Bush and possibly Hyde at depth. I'm sorry but in this passing league it would make absolutely NO SENSE to release Williams just to save money when we are a contending team. Now next season if he is still struggling with the shoulder then yes I could see him being released. You guys should know how TT runs the team by now.

Pugger
05-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Listen we just cut Woodson and even though I like House he is still unproven. So lets say we do cut Williams, that leaves us with Shields, Hayward, and House as our starting CBs. If any one of those guys goes down then we are left with Bush and possibly Hyde at depth. I'm sorry but in this passing league it would make absolutely NO SENSE to release Williams just to save money when we are a contending team. Now next season if he is still struggling with the shoulder then yes I could see him being released. You guys should know how TT runs the team by now.

This.

Smeefers
05-20-2013, 06:04 PM
I had no idea so many people were still high on Sam Shields. I remember telling JH that with how he was playing as a rookie, he had no ceiling at CB. Could be a great. Then I watched him crash and burn in his second year. Then his third year, he's not starting and the only reason he goes back in is because House got injured. He played well, but nowhere near where I'd hoped he'd be. I'm not saying he's bad, I'm just saying that perhaps there is no more to the guy. This is what we got, a good CB who has crazy closing speed and good hands. It's not a bad piece of the puzzle to have. I don't think anyone is suggesting that he's going to loose his starting position. All I'm saying is the same could very well be true with Hayward. He's a smart CB who seems to disappear in coverage and then come out of nowhere to mess up a play. I don't think he's ever going to have the physical traits needed to be a top CB, but that doesn't mean he can't be a good CB. I hope I'm wrong and he comes in next year running like lightning and jumping to the skylights, but I don't plan on it. With him, the only thing that is going to improve is his smarts. It's enough to have him keep his job, but not enough to consider throwing him against a #1.

Brandon494
05-20-2013, 06:22 PM
House never won the starting job, he got injured in the 2nd preseason game last year. He was pushing Shields for the starting job but if you remember Shields was also having a strong training camp. Also with Shields he didn't play CB til his senior season in college so he was still learning the position when he came to GB. Yea he did have a sophomore slump but the whole defense played like crap that season. Unlike Shields Hayward doesn't run a 4.3 so people act like he doesn't have potential. I see a guy who in college played against the top teams in the nation in the SEC and still put up huge numbers even though he played for bad team in Vandy. Hayward might not have blazing speed but he has all the tools you want from a CB. Not saying he'll be our #1 CB next season but watching him play last season its not out of the question that one day he very well could be.

Bretsky
05-20-2013, 06:46 PM

FIVE CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP post

STOP THE INSANITY; we need to keep T Williams on our team this year

Cleft Crusty
05-20-2013, 08:31 PM

Deion Sanders couldn't tackle his own grandmother; As long as Williams can cover, the Packers will have plenty for him to do.

HarveyWallbangers
05-20-2013, 11:32 PM
I had no idea so many people were still high on Sam Shields. I remember telling JH that with how he was playing as a rookie, he had no ceiling at CB. Could be a great. Then I watched him crash and burn in his second year. Then his third year, he's not starting and the only reason he goes back in is because House got injured. He played well, but nowhere near where I'd hoped he'd be. I'm not saying he's bad, I'm just saying that perhaps there is no more to the guy. This is what we got, a good CB who has crazy closing speed and good hands. It's not a bad piece of the puzzle to have. I don't think anyone is suggesting that he's going to loose his starting position. All I'm saying is the same could very well be true with Hayward. He's a smart CB who seems to disappear in coverage and then come out of nowhere to mess up a play. I don't think he's ever going to have the physical traits needed to be a top CB, but that doesn't mean he can't be a good CB. I hope I'm wrong and he comes in next year running like lightning and jumping to the skylights, but I don't plan on it. With him, the only thing that is going to improve is his smarts. It's enough to have him keep his job, but not enough to consider throwing him against a #1.

Shields was a surprise as a rookie and a real asset. He started off slow in tackling and in coverage his second season, but the coverage woes turned around during the season. The tackling was atrocious throughout. He was good in coverage and much improved in tackling last year. He's a good CB. He needed some adversity (and tough love) to deal with his major weakness. I think the light went off last year, and he'll be a good starting corner from here on out. He'll probably never be elite (with his athleticism, I wouldn't completely write it off), but the guy still has room for improvement. He's played the equivalent of a college career at corner now.

I'm excited about the future of Shields (provided he stays in GB), House (provided he stays healthy), and Hayward

mission
05-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Shields was the best Packers CB in the second half of the 2011 season and second best on the team behind Heyward last year. He doesn't get enough credit and people will complain when he gets a big pay raise thinking he's not worth it.

RashanGary
05-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Smeefers, I thought I really liked SS as a rookie, thought the sky was the limit. It was you (and rightfully so) who wanted to see more before you crowned his ass.

We'll see how it all blends together this year. If the deeper DL rotation along with the healthy addition of Perry, there's a chance our run defense gets significantly stronger up front. If that's the case, and Perry can really set a mean edge, we'll be able to play man defense without getting gouged in the run game.

If you ask SS to go out and just play man defense, he can be a stud. It's his zone defense that's holding him back IMO. Down the stretch there, Capers sort of went away from zone defense. We were mostly a man defense with 2 safeties over the top. Shields shines as a man defender. When he plays zone, this is something I notice, but he gets lost. Very, very lost.

rbaloha1
05-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Deion Sanders couldn't tackle his own grandmother; As long as Williams can cover, the Packers will have plenty for him to do.

Not even close -- TW was also getting beat.

rbaloha1
05-20-2013, 11:50 PM
FIVE CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP post

STOP THE INSANITY; we need to keep T Williams on our team this year

Not the way he is trending...

rbaloha1
05-20-2013, 11:52 PM
House never won the starting job, he got injured in the 2nd preseason game last year. He was pushing Shields for the starting job but if you remember Shields was also having a strong training camp. Also with Shields he didn't play CB til his senior season in college so he was still learning the position when he came to GB. Yea he did have a sophomore slump but the whole defense played like crap that season. Unlike Shields Hayward doesn't run a 4.3 so people act like he doesn't have potential. I see a guy who in college played against the top teams in the nation in the SEC and still put up huge numbers even though he played for bad team in Vandy. Hayward might not have blazing speed but he has all the tools you want from a CB. Not saying he'll be our #1 CB next season but watching him play last season its not out of the question that one day he very well could be.

Excuse me SS was having a poor camp and picked it up at the end.

House was on the verge of starting but that stupid injury on ST ruined it.

Brandon494
05-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Shields was the best Packers CB in the second half of the 2011 season and second best on the team behind Heyward last year. He doesn't get enough credit and people will complain when he gets a big pay raise thinking he's not worth it.

At least someone knows what they are talking about. Same goes with Tramon Williams, seems like fans only remember those two games against the Vikings and 49ers and act like Tramon Williams was getting toasted all season.

rbaloha1
05-21-2013, 12:05 AM
At least someone knows what they are talking about. Same goes with Tramon Williams, seems like fans only remember those two games against the Vikings and 49ers and act like Tramon Williams was getting toasted all season.

SS is not the problem. TW has had 2 mediocre years in row -- that is what fans remember.

Guess where the option plays are headed if TW is on the field? The Jarrett Bush of run defense:doh:

pbmax
05-21-2013, 08:13 AM
There’s been the occasional bump in the road, but Shields molded into one of the top defenders in the league last year. According to Pro Football Focus, no NFL cornerback was tougher to foil than Shields, who led the league in coverage snaps per reception (16.3).

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130520/PKR0101/130520044

As I recall, Shields wasn't having a tough camp because of his play, but unavailability/limited action due to nagging injuries. House took advantage of this opening and played the best of the rest until he was hurt. Shields then came back late and had good practices but not enough that he could dissuade the coaches from starting Bush.

The doubts about Shields lasted less than one week.

Patler
05-21-2013, 08:55 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130520/PKR0101/130520044

As I recall, Shields wasn't having a tough camp because of his play, but unavailability/limited action due to nagging injuries. House took advantage of this opening and played the best of the rest until he was hurt. Shields then came back late and had good practices but not enough that he could dissuade the coaches from starting Bush.

The doubts about Shields lasted less than one week.

My recollection is that he was just playing poorly in camp, but I could be wrong about that.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 08:59 AM

He is still not the same guy as 2010, but the news about his shoulder seemed to suggest that the nerve damage would not have healed by the start of the 2012 season. So he could still be recovering. If the shoulder was still the issue, he should be markedly more consistent this year.

3irty1
05-21-2013, 09:00 AM
I think the House love might be kind of premature. He's looked good so far in limited roles but the whole thing seems rooted in the 2012 camp battle between Shields, House, and Bush. A battle that ultimately resulted in Bush starting against the 49ers week 1. As of now Williams and Shields seem pretty entrenched as starters.

run pMc
05-21-2013, 11:58 AM
I think they keep TW this year. Those CB's will get dinged up and I like Bush on ST but not at CB. Hard to have 4 good-enough corners, you don't give that up w/o good reason. AFAIK, TW's not a locker room problem or a crazy evil felon. The shoulder will be better this year and the increased competition will help. I think Whitt will push him to play better, including tackling and run defense.
House doesn't have much of a track record, and Heyward is a slot corner. Skeptical he has the speed to play outside, and I like his instincts to play slot. I like but don't love Shields -- he's coachable and still has room to grow, so I consider him "good but not great" and not at his ceiling. If he were playing for MIN or DET he'd easily be their top corner.

Nominating/hoping for a breakout year from EDS.

Cleft Crusty
05-21-2013, 12:58 PM
He is still not the same guy as 2010, but the news about his shoulder seemed to suggest that the nerve damage would not have healed by the start of the 2012 season. So he could still be recovering. If the shoulder was still the issue, he should be markedly more consistent this year.

When you are hurt, your willingness to throw your body in there goes way down. Even with a full recovery, you can still have that trepidation. Williams may need a confidence boost as much as any physical improvement.

MadScientist
05-21-2013, 05:15 PM
J.C. Tretter.

Oh wait, break out, not break down.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 06:24 PM
When you are hurt, your willingness to throw your body in there goes way down. Even with a full recovery, you can still have that trepidation. Williams may need a confidence boost as much as any physical improvement.

I hope so. Williams apparently gave an interview in Baltimore that indicated his shoulder was still bothering him but he told the media that he had been referring back to 2011.

He says nerve is still getting better but shoulder (structurally?) is sound. Claims it did not bother him in 2012. But if he knows nerve is not back, then it must manifest itself in some way.

Today: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/208371061.html

Radio: http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/03/04/green-bay-packer-tramon-williams-talks-football/

RashanGary
05-21-2013, 10:11 PM

This could very well be. If the nerv damage is still there, I imagine it's harder to get the injury out of his head even though he probably can do everything. He has to get his head right though. Now that's on him. You just have to do it, learn to trust it.

Joemailman
05-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Tramon was clearly avoiding making some tackles late last year. Something wasn't right. His shoulder. His head. Something.

Fritz
05-22-2013, 06:41 AM
J.C. Tretter.

Oh wait, break out, not break down.

Maybe we need a thread called "Players you expect will break this season."

RashanGary
05-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Just read a fluff piece on Williams. It sounds like he's in fantastic friggin shape and ready to roll. There was also a really interesting comment on Woodson. Apparently Williams met two of Woodson's trainers and both said Wood was the hardest worker they've seen. I woulda never guessed that. Woodson has a lot of pride. I hope he gets 5 more picks this year. That guy loves football.

rbaloha1
05-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Just read a fluff piece on Williams. It sounds like he's in fantastic friggin shape and ready to roll. There was also a really interesting comment on Woodson. Apparently Williams met two of Woodson's trainers and both said Wood was the hardest worker they've seen. I woulda never guessed that. Woodson has a lot of pride. I hope he gets 5 more picks this year. That guy loves football.

Again Woodson is a great role model off the field.

hoosier
05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
I think the House love might be kind of premature. He's looked good so far in limited roles but the whole thing seems rooted in the 2012 camp battle between Shields, House, and Bush. A battle that ultimately resulted in Bush starting against the 49ers week 1. As of now Williams and Shields seem pretty entrenched as starters.

If I remember correctly, Bush started only because House was already hurt by the season opener. In his JSO interview this past January Joe Whitt said there would be competition at both CB positions. What makes you say that Williams and Shields are entrenched starters?

swede
05-23-2013, 12:02 PM

Isn't he two pick 6s away from all time?

Smeefers
05-23-2013, 06:06 PM
If I remember correctly, Bush started only because House was already hurt by the season opener. In his JSO interview this past January Joe Whitt said there would be competition at both CB positions. What makes you say that Williams and Shields are entrenched starters?

I agree with the entrenched starters idea. The reason is that they're paying Tramon Bank and SS has produced as of late. It's going to take SS regressing in order for him to loose his spot and it's going to take Tramon being canned in order for him to loose his. I doubt either of those things are going to happen.

Man, isn't this the best problem in the world to have? The only better one would be if we had a back up QB trying to push Rodgers out of the starting role.

Iron Mike
05-23-2013, 06:43 PM

Linkage??

http://networkedblogs.com/LvLhS

red
05-23-2013, 07:15 PM

they use to find woodson running the bleachers in lambeau alone all the time, like non stop, during the lambeau field tours

they made it sound like he was at the stadium from almost sun up to sun down every day

the guy doesn't look like a workout warrior at all, but he worked his ass off to become the player he is

pbmax
05-23-2013, 08:00 PM
they use to find woodson running the bleachers in lambeau alone all the time, like non stop, during the lambeau field tours

they made it sound like he was at the stadium from almost sun up to sun down every day

the guy doesn't look like a workout warrior at all, but he worked his ass off to become the player he is

Where did you hear or see this? I hadn't heard that one.

Bretsky
05-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Where did you hear or see this? I hadn't heard that one.

Me either; I heard many stories about Driver as a workout warrior...and Robert Brooks before him

But I never heard anything about Woodson

I think Red is drunk :)

Fritz
05-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Sometimes too they'd find him in the back room of Zimmerman's Meat Market in Appleton, working over the sides of beef hanging back there.

And doing sitting-ups in dumpster-filled alleyways while homeless people shot up and sat around a small fire.

Damn.

Bretsky
05-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Sometimes too they'd find him in the back room of Zimmerman's Meat Market in Appleton, working over the sides of beef hanging back there.

And doing sitting-ups in dumpster-filled alleyways while homeless people shot up and sat around a small fire.

Damn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddymqt28uwo

Patler
05-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Isn't he two pick 6s away from all time?

Woodson is the career leader with 12.
Woodson is second, tied with Sharper, at 11.

The first Woodson is Rod, the second one is Charles! :grin:

run pMc
05-24-2013, 09:46 AM

Damn.

During the summer, I heard he would chop down trees with a beat-up ax and run through kneedeep snow in the mountains outside Green Bay.

Fritz
05-24-2013, 10:10 AM
That's also true. In fact, several times it was reported that during those runs he would encounter black bears and wrassle 'em. Once, in the spring, a reporter trailing Woodson spotted him working out on a mountain trail, running uphill while carrying a boulder. Woodson saw a mother bear carrying her cub, so he shifted the boulder under one arm, raced until he caught up with the mother bear, then knocked the cub out of her grasp. A forced fumble, for sure.

th87
05-24-2013, 10:12 AM
During the summer, I heard he would chop down trees with a beat-up ax and run through kneedeep snow in the mountains outside Green Bay.

While the Soviets watched with growing concern.

3irty1
05-24-2013, 10:22 AM

With buckets on his feet. And do vertical situps from a hayloft.

Patler
05-24-2013, 10:26 AM
That's also true. In fact, several times it was reported that during those runs he would encounter black bears and wrassle 'em. Once, in the spring, a reporter trailing Woodson spotted him working out on a mountain trail, running uphill while carrying a boulder. Woodson saw a mother bear carrying her cub, so he shifted the boulder under one arm, raced until he caught up with the mother bear, then knocked the cub out of her grasp. A forced fumble, for sure.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. The real story is this:

Being the humanitarian individual that he is, Woodson befriended the mother bear who was still weak from hibernating. He shifted the boulder under one arm and carried the cub under the other until they got to the stream where the mother bear was headed for the spring spawning run of fish. After being sure both the mother bear and cub were well fed, Woodson continued on with his work out.

Fritz
05-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Well, if that's the real story, then how is he practicing his punching-the-ball-out move?

Hmm. This requires some thought.

Patler
05-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Well, if that's the real story, then how is he practicing his punching-the-ball-out move?

Hmm. This requires some thought.

I forgot one detail:

Being weak from hibernation, the mother bear was having difficulty catching any but the few weakened fish already near death. Woodson waded into the water, and Knocked fish cold as they jumped from the water going upstream. It improved his timing and forcefulness, not to mention his reaction time as the fish appeared from different spots all around him.

Fritz
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
That's why - and this is little known - the Dolphins' helmet looks like it does. Woodson designed it.

MadtownPacker
05-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Hahahaha!! The last 2 pages are so fucking sweet! I didn't know Woodson was the Black Chuck Norris.

Iron Mike
05-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Are we talking about Charles Woodson, or Bill Brasky????

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/braskys-buddies-at-the-bar/n11181/

Iron Mike
05-25-2013, 09:52 PM
http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/story/Packers-Perry-eager-to-prove-himself?blockID=905085&feedID=5196