PDA

View Full Version : Concussion Lawsuit

pbmax
05-16-2013, 04:52 PM
How the NFL keeps the players hopes up.

Elliot Pellman, the guy on the original committee who thought concussions were not serious injuries and that most players could return to a game after having one?

He is still employed by the League.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/47668524/

Joemailman
05-16-2013, 04:54 PM
All this talk about concussion lawsuits gives me a headache.

pbmax
05-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Just so we are clear, he is a Rheumatologist.

In film noir or detective fiction (or was it the Mob?), would this guy be the bag man? Really wants to be inside, a player, knows just enough to sound convincing to outside authorities unless there is close scrutiny. Basically running a front operation to make it look like science is happening while girls, dice and cards are being run out of the backdoor?

I don't think bag man is precise enough though. There has to be another term for running interference here, giving plausible deniability.

bobblehead
05-16-2013, 06:14 PM
If I were representing the playes I would bring out the video of the playoffs and superbowl. On one of the last plays in the SB there was a major spear to the head and no flag. Then they made out like the non call on the PI a play later was such a big deal. In the packers/SF game the 49ers D went helmet to helmet 4 times that I noticed. No flags...not ONE. Ravens/Broncos I recall 2 blatant helmet to helmets.

Yea, they "cleaned up" the regular season, but when it counted, head shots were fair game.

edit: as were facemasks as proven by the picked up flag.

hoosier
05-16-2013, 08:45 PM

In film noir or detective fiction (or was it the Mob?), would this guy be the bag man? Really wants to be inside, a player, knows just enough to sound convincing to outside authorities unless there is close scrutiny. Basically running a front operation to make it look like science is happening while girls, dice and cards are being run out of the backdoor?

I don't think bag man is precise enough though. There has to be another term for running interference here, giving plausible deniability.

I think the term you are looking for is "Shoeshine Tommy".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fcWORP7Tl8

pbmax
05-17-2013, 08:31 AM
I think I could defend the inconsistent calls as part of the development of new procedures. New procedures after we learn more about head injuries.

What no one quite seems to know is why this guy Pellman is still around. At one point recently, he was referred to by the PR guys as their Medical Director. Later, they referenced his as a Medical Advisor.

Speculation in the article ran from institutional blindness (some of the original members of Pellman's committee are on the new one after they declared they were starting fresh with a new committee) to fear of what would happen if they cut him completely loose. Seems most likely that its better to keep him close and happy than to cut him loose.

Here is his bio on his own site: http://www.prohealthcare.com/ViewDoctor.aspx?phid=182

He does practice Orthopaedics and is no longer affiliated with the Jets. And in answer to my own question, he does seem to be Medical Director of the NFL Players Foundation and Medical Advisor to the League. He is still chairing committees if this is to be believed and is current.

The NFL Players Foundation is the charity arm of the NFL I believe and used to be called NFL Charities.

pbmax
11-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Had to post this somewhere. Story of the kid who died two years ago during a practice (preseason 2011). Has a head injury and his coach keeps sending him back into drills. This genius of a coach has a drill (player's collapse happens after this drill) where his fullbacks act as linebackers being blocked by the other fullbacks for an outside zone drill. The catch? The fullback posing as a linebacker has to stand stone still. Like, say, a tackling dummy. Coincidentally, after the school told the parents they had identified the accidental hit (just one) on tape, tape of the incident and the drill that caused the initial injury have disappeared.

There is no doubt in my mind stories like this played a part in the eventual settlement.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/11/inside-the-house-on-the-corner-ken-sheely-rests-hi/?page=all

red
11-13-2013, 07:23 PM

isn't that the guy who shoves his finger up your ass?

red
11-13-2013, 07:26 PM
i think the NFL should adopt something a long the lines of what the NCAA does. after a flag for H2H, they go to the replay booth. if the hit looks likes its malicious and not just an accident, then the offending player is ejected from the game