PDA

View Full Version : Phones

MJZiggy
05-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Thinking of getting a new Android phone. (note I said Android) Thoughts on what cool out there, what specs and battery life I should demand and what features I should be looking at?

RashanGary
05-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Go all out. Make it your phone, tablet, best friend and vibrator :)

MJZiggy
05-19-2013, 12:09 PM
So a Galaxy Note then...

RashanGary
05-19-2013, 01:24 PM
HTC one and GS4 are probably your two best phones right now. The HTC has better speakers, better camera, aluminum body. . . It's similar to the iphone in that they went all out with the build. The Samsung, while maybe not as refined, does have a bigger screen, micro-SD card and a removable battery.

As a phone, the things I read, the HTC one is the more solid, better built phone. But, if you use your phone ALL OF THE TIME like so many people do, the bigger screen and micro-SD card on the Samsung gives you some tablet-like substance over the HTC.

I'd probably get the HTC one. The pictures, speakers and solid design would edge the bigger screen and storage space for me. But I have a laptop, PS3 and ipad-mini, so that definitely plays in. I don't use my phone for all of my internet browsing, social apps or games like some people do. If I did, I'd get the Samsung.

MJZiggy
05-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks. Anyone else have either of these phones and can weigh in?

MadtownPacker
05-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Behind the insane intention there appears a great idea. Whoever comes up with it will be the next big thing.

MadtownPacker
05-19-2013, 04:02 PM
When is Partial showing up to peddle the iPhone?

red
05-19-2013, 04:15 PM
i have a nice net 10 phone with a handy qwerty keyboard and a camera

this is really all i need

mostly because i'm not some phone obsessed fag

MJZiggy
05-19-2013, 04:33 PM
i have a nice net 10 phone with a handy qwerty keyboard and a camera

this is really all i need

mostly because i'm not some phone obsessed fag

I'd be lost without navigation...and love pandora (store music on there too) and sometimes use the camera because it's easier to share photos than using the good camera. And I use the Kindle app to read when I'm waiting. Oh, and the texting app that saves me having to add texting to my phone. If the Google phone had a changeable card and battery, I might have gotten it. I've heard from some corners that the Galaxy's reception is not that great and that the screen sometimes cracks. I like the Droid Maxx HD, but that one has a sealed case too....

MJZiggy
05-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Behind the insane intention there appears a great idea. Whoever comes up with it will be the next big thing.

All you really need to do is drop your phone down your pants and call yourself and you'll be all set...

Joemailman
05-19-2013, 04:40 PM
When is Partial showing up to peddle the iPhone?

He's not available. Would you settle for some guy named call_me_ishmael ?

RashanGary
05-19-2013, 05:02 PM
they could make an app, when yur husband or bf call, the phone could vibrate when he talks. not a bad idea. The pressure would be on tho. once she got close, yud have to make sure u have somethin good to say, or at least enough to say to not stop :p

RashanGary
05-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Or, there cld b a pic of yur lady's, lady parts. The faster u rub it, the faster her phone vibrates :p

MadtownPacker
05-20-2013, 01:28 PM
He's not available. Would you settle for some guy named call_me_ishmael ?That chump is weak. I can't settle for a wannabe mature Partial. Give me the son of a 1000 maniacs we are use to any day.

MadtownPacker
05-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Or, there cld b a pic of yur lady's, lady parts. The faster u rub it, the faster her phone vibrates :p

they could make an app, when yur husband or bf call, the phone could vibrate when he talks. not a bad idea. The pressure would be on tho. once she got close, yud have to make sure u have somethin good to say, or at least enough to say to not stop :pYou truly are wasting your talents. But let's not forget all the Bluetooth accessories/attachments you can make.

3irty1
05-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Have you considered a google nexus phone?

http://www.google.com/nexus/4/

The advantages are that they are just $300, come unlocked for use with a sim card from any provider, and are allied with google so you get the newest Android and fastest updates.

MJZiggy
05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Have you considered a google nexus phone?

http://www.google.com/nexus/4/

The advantages are that they are just $300, come unlocked for use with a sim card from any provider, and are allied with google so you get the newest Android and fastest updates.

I researched that one a little, and I know the Navagation on it would be outstanding, but isn't that one of those that has the battery sealed in? How do you change the battery?

MJZiggy
05-20-2013, 06:44 PM
they could make an app, when yur husband or bf call, the phone could vibrate when he talks. not a bad idea. The pressure would be on tho. once she got close, yud have to make sure u have somethin good to say, or at least enough to say to not stop :p
Couldn't you just start singing then?

Freak Out
05-20-2013, 07:16 PM
I have been an Android guy from day one, and have bought basically every unlocked phone directly from Google when it was released. I was close to getting the HTC one or the Nexus 4....but got an iPhone 5 instead. If Apple didn't have Google Maps I would not have gotten it, but I have to say it is a damn nice phone....and the battery life blows away any Nexus that I have ever had.

Cleft Crusty
05-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Clefty has been using the same reliable mobile telephone for 26 years:

http://www.connected-earth.com/Journeys/Firstgenerationtechnologies/Mobilecommunications/Thefirsttruemobiles/Earlytransportablecellphone.jpg

3irty1
05-20-2013, 08:32 PM
I researched that one a little, and I know the Navagation on it would be outstanding, but isn't that one of those that has the battery sealed in? How do you change the battery?

I don't even have a smartphone but my friend says it takes a screwdriver to do it. I guess there is an induction coil in there for wireless charging which is why they sealed it up the way they did.

MJZiggy
05-20-2013, 10:14 PM
I don't even have a smartphone but my friend says it takes a screwdriver to do it. I guess there is an induction coil in there for wireless charging which is why they sealed it up the way they did.I guess that makes sense. I just know I've had to replace a couple batteries and want to make sure I actually can...

call_me_ishmael
05-20-2013, 11:53 PM
I have been an Android guy from day one, and have bought basically every unlocked phone directly from Google when it was released. I was close to getting the HTC one or the Nexus 4....but got an iPhone 5 instead. If Apple didn't have Google Maps I would not have gotten it, but I have to say it is a damn nice phone....and the battery life blows away any Nexus that I have ever had.

This. If you have to get an Android phone, do yourself a favor and get an HTC one. Anything else is pure trash. The One is hands down the best Android phone available in terms of hardware.

Personally, I would wait and get an iPhone 5s. All of these new phones have way too big of screens. I can see the allure up to about 4.5" maybe but after that it's just too large to be useable.

RashanGary
05-21-2013, 01:05 AM
ishmael,

There are a lot of people who use their phone like a mini-tablet who would rather have the GS4, and I understand that. The micro-SD and the screen size are a big draw for some people. If I didn't have an ipad-mini, I'd probably want the GS4 just because of how often I'd be looking at the screen. Size does matter.

Zool
05-21-2013, 08:39 AM
ishmael,

There are a lot of people who use their phone like a mini-tablet who would rather have the GS4, and I understand that. The micro-SD and the screen size are a big draw for some people. If I didn't have an ipad-mini, I'd probably want the GS4 just because of how often I'd be looking at the screen. Size does matter.

The problem I can see with the huge phones and being a male is carrying the beast. I have mine in my pocket. I can't imagine carrying a mini tablet everywhere I went. I just don't need it.

I personally went iPhone so that it works 100% of the time. I never have to reboot it, I never have to take the battery out to hard reset, and like Par...I mean Ishmael said, the battery life puts all the other phones to shame. That is the selling point for me. I've only had 1 Android and I didn't like OS much. I'm no company shill for Apple, but it's a ridiculously rock solid piece of hardware.

Upnorth
05-21-2013, 01:50 PM
If yo want a keyboard go with the Blackberry q10, mine is kicing butt. I have never had to recharge during the day and I can multitask very easily. It takes a day or two to get used to the swipes etc but once you do it is comfortable. My wife got the GS3 at christmas had the iphone 3 before that. She way preferres the GS3 but now she wants the new BB Z10 (no keyboard) since I have shown her the bells and whistles it can do.

The only problem is do you even have the BB10 in the US yet?

MadtownPacker
05-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Why the hell does ziggy need to change the battery anyways? Thinking its like her bed toy? I got a i5 too and can't say it has any issues. Agree with those not wanting to carry a tablet in their pocket.

George Cumby
05-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Clefty has been using the same reliable mobile telephone for 26 years:

http://www.connected-earth.com/Journeys/Firstgenerationtechnologies/Mobilecommunications/Thefirsttruemobiles/Earlytransportablecellphone.jpg

No school like old school you old fucker.

Those were great phones.

MJZiggy
05-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Why the hell does ziggy need to change the battery anyways? Thinking its like her bed toy? I got a i5 too and can't say it has any issues. Agree with those not wanting to carry a tablet in their pocket.
You're forgetting they haven't made that app yet...a couple months ago, the battery on my HTC stopped holding its charge. It needed to be replaced. I just want to make sure that if it happens again, I can change the battery again. I talked to a couple people at work who have Galaxy 3s. Now I have to go play with some of the other phones...

MadtownPacker
05-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Hate to sound like and Apple fanboy but given the i5 a chance. I believe AT&T and Verizon give folks 14 or 30 days to return the phone if they don't like it right?

George Cumby
05-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Hate to sound like and Apple fanboy but given the i5 a chance. I believe AT&T and Verizon give folks 14 or 30 days to return the phone if they don't like it right?

You and me both. Loves me the iPhone.

MJZiggy
05-23-2013, 06:22 PM
The other option I have is that I have insurance on my Thunderbolt. I could always just get a refurb insurance phone for free until I feel like doing the upgrade...That way I can wait until prices on some of the phones I want come down and I have more time to mess with them before making a decision. With the iPhone, don't you become a slave to proprietary software like iTunes? I was talking today with someone at a conference who said that she HAD to get the iPhone because all of her music was from iTunes so if she didn't get the iPhone, she couldn't play music from her phone in her car. I can play whatever I want in my car through Bluetooth, including Pandora and Slacker.

George Cumby
05-23-2013, 11:22 PM
The other option I have is that I have insurance on my Thunderbolt. I could always just get a refurb insurance phone for free until I feel like doing the upgrade...That way I can wait until prices on some of the phones I want come down and I have more time to mess with them before making a decision. With the iPhone, don't you become a slave to proprietary software like iTunes? I was talking today with someone at a conference who said that she HAD to get the iPhone because all of her music was from iTunes so if she didn't get the iPhone, she couldn't play music from her phone in her car. I can play whatever I want in my car through Bluetooth, including Pandora and Slacker.

I don't get the problem with music in the car, multiple Apple devices, multiple vehicles, male-male jack and Muzak. I haven't done it, but if you need to get out of the walled garden, jail-breaking your phone looks pretty easy.

That being said, like any gear, IME it's what YOU like, not what someone else likes.

Zool
05-24-2013, 09:23 AM

This whole thing about iTunes is a scare tactic.
iTunes is the software interface to your phone yes. If you purchase music other places and have it stored on your computer, you use iTunes to put that music on your phone. If you purchase music through iTunes then you do the same. I use Spotify and Pandora on my phone. Haven't used slacker but there is an iPhone app. If you purchase your music through iTunes then yes you generally will always use iTunes to access that music.

**You can burn your iTunes music to a CD then use another app to rip that CD essentially removing the DRM**

Who the hell buys music anymore? Spotify has an offline mode that pulls songs directly to your device so you can listen even offline. 1 Spotify account lets you use the app on every device you have. The Android fear tactics aside, I never use iTunes. Like I had an iPhone4 and now a 5. I use it to back up now and then, but your contacts automatically go to the free 5G cloud storage. I save my pictures in the cloud too. What else do you store locally on your device?

3irty1
05-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah that music stuff is pretty much nonsense I think. If anything, you'll get more functionality with a popular phone in your car. My mom just got a new Camry that has all kinds of spaceship shit it can do through your phone but she's got an obscure Samsung US Cellular Android and the only thing that works is the regular hands free stuff that every phone with bluetooth can do.

I still care about size, battery-life, and contract cost above all things which is why I pay $16/month for my non-smart phone that needs to be charged once a week. I aggressively negotiated my contract over the years and switching to data now would cost me all my hard-fought winnings. If I were to switch right now though that google nexus is a no brainer. From my time spent with my girlfriends various iphones and androids, the software on the phone matters 3 or 4 times more than the hardware IMO. iOS is really good, but android can be just as good and the best version of android will always come right from google with updates right from google. Then there is the fact that the iphone costs more than double a nexus. In December I wanted to get my gf off her money sucking $90/mo plan and put her on straight talk so I needed to get her a new unlocked phone. I pitched the nexus to her, but as a girl with friends who all have iphones she predictably rang up $700 for an iphone. Its a beautiful piece of hardware and I think it was smaller than the nexus, except not because a $700 phone needs a case. To do the things her last phone can do it also needed to be jail broken which I'll never get around to doing. I'd rather buy a nexus, haul it around with no case until I drop it in a toilet or something then buy the next nexus when that comes out and still come out ahead.

MadtownPacker
05-24-2013, 12:47 PM
I cant believe there are whiteys so damn cheap!! You MFers make plenty so quit penny pinching and get what you want cuz you only live once!

Cleft Crusty
05-24-2013, 01:14 PM
cuz you only live once!

and sometimes, not even once

MadtownPacker
05-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Ain't that about a bitch!! How you manage that?

Zool
05-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Yeah that music stuff is pretty much nonsense I think. If anything, you'll get more functionality with a popular phone in your car. My mom just got a new Camry that has all kinds of spaceship shit it can do through your phone but she's got an obscure Samsung US Cellular Android and the only thing that works is the regular hands free stuff that every phone with bluetooth can do.

I still care about size, battery-life, and contract cost above all things which is why I pay $16/month for my non-smart phone that needs to be charged once a week. I aggressively negotiated my contract over the years and switching to data now would cost me all my hard-fought winnings. If I were to switch right now though that google nexus is a no brainer. From my time spent with my girlfriends various iphones and androids, the software on the phone matters 3 or 4 times more than the hardware IMO. iOS is really good, but android can be just as good and the best version of android will always come right from google with updates right from google. Then there is the fact that the iphone costs more than double a nexus. In December I wanted to get my gf off her money sucking $90/mo plan and put her on straight talk so I needed to get her a new unlocked phone. I pitched the nexus to her, but as a girl with friends who all have iphones she predictably rang up $700 for an iphone. Its a beautiful piece of hardware and I think it was smaller than the nexus, except not because a $700 phone needs a case. To do the things her last phone can do it also needed to be jail broken which I'll never get around to doing. I'd rather buy a nexus, haul it around with no case until I drop it in a toilet or something then buy the next nexus when that comes out and still come out ahead.

Jail breaking a phone is a 5 minute process. Plug the phone in, launch the software, mash 1 button. Wait. The end.

3irty1
05-24-2013, 03:05 PM
How many minutes will I have to spend googleing, reading, and downloading the aforementioned software with the aforementioned button to mash? Is it reversible? because I'm also not down with voiding the warranty on a $700 phone.

3irty1
05-24-2013, 03:06 PM
I cant believe there are whiteys so damn cheap!! You MFers make plenty so quit penny pinching and get what you want cuz you only live once!

That's how whiteys get rich.

George Cumby
05-25-2013, 04:34 AM
How many minutes will I have to spend googleing, reading, and downloading the aforementioned software with the aforementioned button to mash? Is it reversible? because I'm also not down with voiding the warranty on a $700 phone.

My understanding is you just reset factory settings and you are unjailbroken. I don't think it voids the warranty, but I could be wrong on both counts.

Tony Oday
05-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Love my HTC One had the Evo before that.

MJZiggy
05-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Love my HTC One had the Evo before that.
That's one of the ones I'm looking at. I have a Thunderbolt, but can't see the screen at all in the sunlight. How is the One in sunlight?

Tony Oday
05-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Perfect inside and out. Great speakers. Incredibly fast and decent camera.

Tony Oday
05-25-2013, 03:17 PM
It does get hot on heavy use and the metal trim is easily damaged.

MadtownPacker
05-25-2013, 08:52 PM
That's how whiteys get rich.
Notice I said I cant believe YOU Whiteys on this forum are so damn cheap. Most of the Whiteys around here that got bank always have nice shit. Multiple properties with nice whips and sweet redneck 4x4 trucks with boats, etc. Lots of these mfers even got Cessnas. Truly living the American Dream the way I see it. Maybe I'm just materialistic or maybe there are just more was of coming up fast in Cali.

There is a man I know that has done the right thing his whole life and saved while living a frugal lifestyle. Now he is in his 60s and worried about retiring too early because he wont have enough to cover everything. He also still has a flip phone that he is happy with. That's cuz he likes it's simplicity. Says he can't justify spending that much on a phone. IMO you should enjoy the time and money (a reasonable amount of course) you have now. If you dont want a smartphone cuz you don't like him, cool. But if you want one and you're not getting it because of a few miserable dollars then really how rich can you ever be. You are worried about fucking up a 700 phone, fuck that phone! I lost one and honestly the only thing that bothers me was that I hadn't backed my pics up for a few months. Shit comes and goes but time is lost forever.

So Ziggy quit being a cheap B and get yourself the shit you want. Get a damn contract if you have to, fuck it your gonna need a phone one way another.

MadtownPacker
05-25-2013, 08:53 PM
That's one of the ones I'm looking at. I have a Thunderbolt, but can't see the screen at all in the sunlight. How is the One in sunlight?
This is a fucking lie. Youre probably too pale to claim to have been in the sunlight. :lol:

3irty1
05-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Notice I said I cant believe YOU Whiteys on this forum are so damn cheap. Most of the Whiteys around here that got bank always have nice shit. Multiple properties with nice whips and sweet redneck 4x4 trucks with boats, etc. Lots of these mfers even got Cessnas. Truly living the American Dream the way I see it. Maybe I'm just materialistic or maybe there are just more was of coming up fast in Cali.

There is a man I know that has done the right thing his whole life and saved while living a frugal lifestyle. Now he is in his 60s and worried about retiring too early because he wont have enough to cover everything. He also still has a flip phone that he is happy with. That's cuz he likes it's simplicity. Says he can't justify spending that much on a phone. IMO you should enjoy the time and money (a reasonable amount of course) you have now. If you dont want a smartphone cuz you don't like him, cool. But if you want one and you're not getting it because of a few miserable dollars then really how rich can you ever be. You are worried about fucking up a 700 phone, fuck that phone! I lost one and honestly the only thing that bothers me was that I hadn't backed my pics up for a few months. Shit comes and goes but time is lost forever.

So Ziggy quit being a cheap B and get yourself the shit you want. Get a damn contract if you have to, fuck it your gonna need a phone one way another.

Had I not bought one for my gf I'd more than likely have one for myself. As is, I might have the best of all worlds. You know those apple commercials where the celebrities have conversations with Siri but how in reality that shit barely works? Well having a girlfriend with a smartphone is just like that. "Katy where are we?" "Katy how far is it to Des Moines?" "Katy is there a new Game of Thrones tonight?" Pretty fucking awesome. And I charge my phone once a week.

There are things I'm super cheap with a few things I spare no expense on either though. I sleep on 1500 tc sheets, wash my shit in tide, and have a bidet in my bathroom. Nothing is more luxurious than shooting warm water up your brownie gun.