PDA

View Full Version : Odds and Ends (random NFL discussion)

RashanGary
05-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Watching NFL's top 100.

Cameron Wake is amazing. We played him one year, I wanna say he absolutely destroyed Bryan Bulaga. He doesn't get nearly the attention he deserves.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Lambeau Leap #1 with Butler. Butler knocks ball loose and then gets the lateral from Reggie. Was this Ray Rhodes as DC? Because Jurko dropped off the nose to cover the TE at the snap. Overload blitz on D right worked to perfection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGEQy5fJzEk

RashanGary
05-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Surprising how well Collins wore that number. We need to save 36 for our top safety prospects.

bobblehead
05-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Watching NFL's top 100.

Cameron Wake is amazing. We played him one year, I wanna say he absolutely destroyed Bryan Bulaga. He doesn't get nearly the attention he deserves.

Do you recall the year Clay won DOPY? I pointed out that cameron wake was his equal and didn't get a vote (or something like that).

Brandon494
05-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Do you recall the year Clay won DOPY? I pointed out that cameron wake was his equal and didn't get a vote (or something like that).

You mean the year he should have won but Troy Polamalu got it instead.

3irty1
05-21-2013, 12:30 PM
James Harrison probably should have won it.

RashanGary
05-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Anyone know what the big rule change was in 1978, the one that changed OL play was. I looked it up a little, but I don't really know what the big change was. Vic Ketchman on packers.com is really interesting. He knows a lot about the history of the NFL. I love reading his chats. I just don't know what he's talking about with that rule change.

Joemailman
05-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Anyone know what the big rule change was in 1978, the one that changed OL play was. I looked it up a little, but I don't really know what the big change was. Vic Ketchman on packers.com is really interesting. He knows a lot about the history of the NFL. I love reading his chats. I just don't know what he's talking about with that rule change.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/brief-fact-filled-history-the-nfl-passing-game/6778/

he Modern Age (1978-2003)
Two major events launched NFL offenses into the Modern Age:
One, the NFL instituted wholesale rule changes to open up offense in 1978. Primarily, defenders could no longer rough up receivers beyond 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, while offensive linemen were allowed to extend their arms and use their hands in pass blocking.

RashanGary
05-21-2013, 09:44 PM
How in the fuck do you pass block without extending your arms. Holy fuck, that must have been brutal. Could you imagine blocking Clay Matthews without extending your arms?

swede
05-21-2013, 09:53 PM
How in the fuck do you pass block without extending your arms. Holy fuck, that must have been brutal. Could you imagine blocking Clay Matthews without extending your arms?

And meanwhile Deacon Jones was clubbing you upside the head.

Joemailman
05-21-2013, 09:53 PM

I guess those old football cards were actually pretty accurate.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jraxGgg9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

RashanGary
05-21-2013, 10:01 PM
LMAO. That's cruel. Head punches, motha fucker.

pbmax
05-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Not that one sided. Because if Deacon beat you once like that you could chop block him the next play. Or punch him in the kidneys or stomach.

swede
05-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Not that one sided. Because if Deacon beat you once like that you could chop block him the next play. Or punch him in the kidneys or stomach.

Around the Lombardi era, in the sweet spot of the viciousness which you cite, there was a tall defensive end that played really insane and violent. He clotheslined runningbacks and drilled quarterbacks into the ground. I think he played for the Bears and then New Orleans. I was surprised that I had never heard of the guy and his name escapes me now. He looked like a Pennsylvania steel mill kind of dude, six-four, 260, long arms with huge meathooks for hands. Ring any bells?

Patler
05-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Around the Lombardi era, in the sweet spot of the viciousness which you cite, there was a tall defensive end that played really insane and violent. He clotheslined runningbacks and drilled quarterbacks into the ground. I think he played for the Bears and then New Orleans. I was surprised that I had never heard of the guy and his name escapes me now. He looked like a Pennsylvania steel mill kind of dude, six-four, 260, long arms with huge meathooks for hands. Ring any bells?

The guy who played for the Bears and Saints was Doug Atkins.
A guy known for viciousness and clothesline tackles of running backs was Ben Davidson of the Raiders.

Both were 6'7" - 6'8".

QBME
05-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Sounds like Bill George, although he wasn't quite that big, he was pretty sizeable for his era.

Joemailman
05-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Doug Atkins. He was 6-8, 275, which was huge for a DE then. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Atkins

Patler
05-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Sounds like Bill George, although he wasn't quite that big, he was pretty sizeable for his era.

If my memory isn't completely gone. Bill George was a linebacker, not a DE.

Joemailman
05-22-2013, 12:38 PM
If my memory isn't completely gone. Bill George was a linebacker, not a DE.

Right. Many consider Bill George to be the first true MLB, His ability to drop off the line of scrimmage from his Nose Guard position is credited by many as the start of the 4-3 defense.

Iron Mike
05-22-2013, 07:10 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_leoGYAeiH44/TOnzPyCRjUI/AAAAAAAAMHk/g-BBP7T13h0/s1600/PDVD_042.jpg

I think I broke his freakin' neck!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGjEZIZQIIk

woodbuck27
05-22-2013, 09:01 PM
I guess those old football cards were actually pretty accurate.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jraxGgg9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It appears as if Forrest Gregg was playing two handed 'Rock, Paper, Scissors.