PDA

View Full Version : OTAs 2013 Edition

pbmax
05-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Where Mike McCathy changes the schedule again. Could it be that the CBA changes hurt the Packers more than most teams, given QB school and (un)draft and development?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKzYEXNCAAEEOHx.jpg:large

pbmax
05-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Pictures courtesy of Packer Twitter feed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKzYZzcCQAIQGX5.jpg:large

pbmax
05-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Mike Applesauce Tweets:

Marshall Newhouse lining up at right tackle, for what it's worth.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Ty Dunne thinks this is evidence of Bishop being cautious. The leg wraps? Standing next to Pickett? No helmet group not working out today? Why is House not working out, nor Moses? Dammit, I already mad at the 2013 season.

Its like being a satellite surveillance technician in 1963.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKza1tuCYAAcPuy.jpg:large

pbmax
05-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Lacy looks wider than the hole he will be running through. via Packers Twitter.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKzbKHXCQAACLFc.jpg:large

pbmax
05-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Perry practicing but still has substantial cast on wrist.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKzbkCkCMAEabiU.jpg:large

pbmax
05-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Dammit. No Sherrod.

WesHod Twitter
#Packers not participating thus far: Worthy, Sherrod, Bishop, Moses, House, Richardson, DuJuan Harris, Johnson, Forsey

Also WesHod
Shields, Jolly and JC Tretter not seen on field.

WesHod again
Newhouse RT with first team. Barclay with #2s. Datko woking at RG.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Ty Dunne's Twitter counts the walking wounded.

Out for #Packers today: Harris, Worthy, Sherrod, Johnson, Moses, Bishop, House, Richardson, Forsey, Tretter.

Also looks like both seventh-round wideouts are out today. Dorsey doesn't have his helmet. #Packers

Jolly and Shields not present.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Applesauce

RBs Lacy and Franklin getting some work with No. 1 unit.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Jonathan Franklin demonstrates to Jermichael Finley how to catch a ball. Via Packer Twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKzf4BkCYAAjOve.jpg:large

pbmax
05-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Alex Green running with 1st team in early Team drill puts the ball on the ground.

Applesauce Twitter:

Rookie Bakhtiari lining up at RT.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Wilde can't find Tretter either.

Shields still unsigned.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Applesauce Twitter

Returning punts: James Nixon, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Tramon Williams.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 12:19 PM
This is a football ... via Packer Twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKziJYZCAAAAfXL.jpg:large

pbmax
05-21-2013, 12:20 PM
TyDunne Twitter:

Returning punts: Nelson, Tramon Williams, Cobb, Nixon (in pic) ... Not Jeremy Ross for now. pic.twitter.com/BDMXzgbvhT

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKzjLaXCMAE384_.jpg:large

QBME
05-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the feeds PB. Great stuff, keep 'em coming!!

pbmax
05-21-2013, 12:21 PM
http://vine.co/v/b9dij3xgUwn

pbmax
05-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Nixons nickname should be "Mojo". This pic from Packer Twitter.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKzkB73CEAAx6Nk.jpg:large

Guiness
05-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Wilde can't find Tretter either.

Shields still unsigned.

Shields didn't sign his tender? He got a 2nd round one, IIRC?

pbmax
05-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Shields didn't sign his tender? He got a 2nd round one, IIRC?

Yep. I think he and his agent are waiting on a longer term deal. The Packers were discussing it with them but they haven't arrived at a number obviously.

Cleft Crusty
05-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Assume Perry's cast is for protection?

Cleft Crusty
05-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Where Mike McCathy changes the schedule again. Could it be that the CBA changes hurt the Packers more than most teams, given QB school and (un)draft and development?

If you think it through, it hurts the players the most. These opportunities are all non-contact, learning heavy experiences. The CBA should have had the purpose of reducing injuries from contact, etc. not limiting the access the players have to environment(s) that can make them better players. Reminds Clefty of the work hour restrictions on Medical Residents - the idea was to have better rested, alert physicians in training to improve their training and patient safety - ultimately it resulted in turning physicians into shift workers and clock watchers, who are not as well trained, especially in the fields that require severely steep learning curves. The best laid schemes of mice and men...

3irty1
05-21-2013, 12:40 PM
If you think it through, it hurts the players the most. These opportunities are all non-contact, learning heavy experiences. The CBA should have had the purpose of reducing injuries from contact, etc. not limiting the access the players have to environment(s) that can make them better players. Reminds Clefty of the work hour restrictions on Medical Residents - the idea was to have better rested, alert physicians in training to improve their training and patient safety - ultimately it resulted in turning physicians into shift workers and clock watchers, who are not as well trained, especially in the fields that require severely steep learning curves. The best laid schemes of mice and men...

It hurts rookie players the most. So did the pay scale.

Joemailman
05-21-2013, 04:06 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/208376401.html

Mike Neal with reps at OLB. Maybe they are trying to get bigger on defense. ;) http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/208376401.html

Brandon494
05-21-2013, 04:13 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/208376401.html

Mike Neal with reps at OLB. Maybe they are trying to get bigger on defense. ;) http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/208376401.html

Didn't they do this with Jenkins early in camp back in 2010? I don't see anyway he stays there, dude is nearly 300 pounds.

Joemailman
05-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Didn't they do this with Jenkins early in camp back in 2010? I don't see anyway he stays there, dude is nearly 300 pounds.

Maybe they figure he'll weigh less if they ever approve testing for HGH.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 05:31 PM

I would agree it would be better to concentrate on contact but I think the lesson of the previous CBAs was that enforcement was tough and required players to rat out the team which they were reluctant to do. So enforcement was lax and somewhat arbitrary.

What they could have done instead was use one of the few dozen former players at the NFL or NFLPA and review ALL practice tapes and then fine teams based on that.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Assume Perry's cast is for protection?

Could be but its the same thing he was wearing in the picture from around Christmas that we saw from Wilde on Twitter. Might be just a protective cover and the cast underneath is more of a sleeve, where before underneath was more a traditional cast. Not sure.

Cleft Crusty
05-21-2013, 05:58 PM
I would agree it would be better to concentrate on contact but I think the lesson of the previous CBAs was that enforcement was tough and required players to rat out the team which they were reluctant to do. So enforcement was lax and somewhat arbitrary.

What they could have done instead was use one of the few dozen former players at the NFL or NFLPA and review ALL practice tapes and then fine teams based on that.

CBA will probably be looking to ban fumble drills next

pbmax
05-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Fumble drills are fun but probably stupid overall. Had a coach who only ran it when it rained. Was very fun that way, in the mud.

Only thing to learn about a fumble is when to dive on it and when to pick it up and run. Never practiced that.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Jolly Tweets he will be at OTAs next week.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130521/PKR0101/130521040/Green-Bay-Packers-rookie-OL-J-C-Tretter-breaks-ankle:

Jolly said Tuesday on Twitter that he would return on May 28.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 5h
Don Barclay also got some work at guard. Greg Van Roten worked extensively as reserve center

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 5h
McMillian now working at safety with No. 1 defense.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 5h
Mike Neal, dropping in coverage as an OLB. Yup didnt figure I'd see that today

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5h
Jarrett Bush just limped off the field with an injury. Checking out his calf.

Bush injured when tangled up with Cobb.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 5h
Brad Jones and Finley exchange shoves and punches after whistle.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5h
No Shields [and no House] means Casey Hayward is the starting CB wide, opposite Tramon Williams in team's base defense.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5h
M.D. Jennings is the safety next to Morgan Burnett with the first-team D. pic.twitter.com/SeLBYBszK7

McMillan later got 1st team reps as well.
Perry did practice with whatever cast/sleeve/power glove was on his left wrist.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 5h
Perry beats bakhtiari for what would have been sack of Matt brown

At RT, Newhouse, Barclay trading off snaps with no. 1 offense

pbmax
05-21-2013, 06:45 PM
No. 1 dline for team run drill: Raji at nose, Daniels and Wilson. Pickett not practicing

pbmax
05-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Ross plans to win both returner jobs but was on punt coverage today while others (including Nelson and Williams) returned punts.

Quarless was a practice participant.

Guiness
05-21-2013, 06:57 PM

Stop making sense, you're going to make my head explode.

Great idea, and would be so ridiculously easy to do, effective and might solve another problem - there is certainly no shortage of ex-NFLers who are cash strapped. Pay some guy who played 4-5 years in the league to view the practices, and flag the ones that he thinks are questionable, then review those more closely. The guy doing the initial review doesn't need to be the final word, just whittle things down.

Make it up to the teams to get the tapes in, and treat not sending them in like a DUI - if you don't blow, you're automatically guilty. No tape, assume it was an illegal practice.

3irty1
05-21-2013, 07:10 PM
They did the same thing with Jenkins in 2010. I think it probably has more to do with learning the intricacies of the job next to his in order to make him better at his own.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 07:47 PM
They did the same thing with Jenkins in 2010. I think it probably has more to do with learning the intricacies of the job next to his in order to make him better at his own.

McCarthy said they were looking to expand his role.

OS PA
05-21-2013, 08:14 PM
McCarthy said they were looking to expand his role.

You do this to add a wrinkle to our defense. No, Neal will not be playing OLB in many defenses, but you teach him how to drop in coverage. You teach him how to play off of the line, teach him how a linebacker plays gaps. This allows you to bring in an extra pass rusher on passing downs. It also allows you the ability to disguise your blitzes. It will always be a given that if Neal is in on a passing down, he's going to rush, but if he has the ability and training to drop into coverage, it lets you confuse the responsibilities of the blockers.

pbmax
05-21-2013, 08:18 PM
You do this add a wrinkle to our defense. No, Neal will not be playing OLB in many defenses, but you teach him how to drop in coverage. You teach him how to play off of the line, teach him how a linebacker plays gaps. This allows you to bring in an extra pass rusher on passing downs. It also allows you the ability to disguise your blitzes. It will always be a given that if Neal is in on a passing down, he's going to rush, but if he has the ability and training to drop into coverage, it lets you confuse the responsibilities of the blockers.

Yes, that's perfectly reasonable. But my memory tells me that the moment he lines up at OLB, that play formation the 49ers use will be put to immediate use to force Neal into coverage, like Perry was, because there are three wide on his side and no TE.

Now if the Packers have a plan for THAT, then I am good.

RashanGary
05-21-2013, 08:26 PM
You do this add a wrinkle to our defense. No, Neal will not be playing OLB in many defenses, but you teach him how to drop in coverage. You teach him how to play off of the line, teach him how a linebacker plays gaps. This allows you to bring in an extra pass rusher on passing downs. It also allows you the ability to disguise your blitzes. It will always be a given that if Neal is in on a passing down, he's going to rush, but if he has the ability and training to drop into coverage, it lets you confuse the responsibilities of the blockers.

Well said, sir.

RashanGary
05-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Rodgers singled out Boykin as a guy behind the top 3 WR's who's going to get some opportunities.

"I like what Jarrett Boykin brings to the table. He's a big, physical receiver."

Fritz
05-22-2013, 06:42 AM
He could end up being a bit of a security blanket - he's big, he's smart, he seems to catch the ball well.

Iron Mike
05-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Its like being a satellite surveillance technician in 1963.

I went to the same military school as the imagery interpreter guys did 20 years later....they went from images in the 60s where you could barely make out vehicles to images in the 80s where you could make out faces. I can only imagine the technology now.

Pugger
05-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Ross plans to win both returner jobs but was on punt coverage today while others (including Nelson and Williams) returned punts.

:bclap:

Fritz
05-22-2013, 03:30 PM
I went to the same military school as the imagery interpreter guys did 20 years later....they went from images in the 60s where you could barely make out vehicles to images in the 80s where you could make out faces. I can only imagine the technology now.

Now you can see the size of the pores in their noses, and whether the stuff in the pore is white or black.

Joemailman
05-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Packers sign QB-turned-WR Alex Gillett of Eastern Michigan. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/208554691.html

I wonder if this guy ran the read option at EMU.

pbmax
05-22-2013, 06:57 PM
WR is the new TE.

Iron Mike
05-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Now you can see the size of the pores in their noses, and whether the stuff in the pore is white or black.

Srsly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1shlTNnlV9w

I just read that imagery acquired by the SR-71 was sufficient to read the expiration tag on a license plate, if it was horizontal to the ground. :shock:

MJZiggy
05-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Ew.

RashanGary
05-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Ew.

Is it weird to think it's hot when a woman says, "ew"

I need a girlfriend. This is getting bad.

MJZiggy
05-22-2013, 08:46 PM

We've met. You know better than to think that's hot. Fritz can still think it if he wants...

Fritz
05-22-2013, 09:00 PM
We've met. You know better than to think that's hot. Fritz can still think it if he wants...

Ew.

MJZiggy
05-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Ew.Touche...

...baby!

woodbuck27
05-22-2013, 09:57 PM

They can now count your nose hairs.

woodbuck27
05-22-2013, 09:59 PM

Yea sure it's hot ! Very very HOT!

EW....those are my initials. :grin:

run pMc
05-23-2013, 12:38 PM

Contributions from Quarless, Boykin and Sherrod this year would really boost the team.