PDA

View Full Version : Cornerback Depth

packer4life
05-26-2013, 12:54 AM
Was just thinking about our cornerbacks tonight:

1. Tyrone Williams:
- improved from 2011, but was still a gunshy tackler in 2012
- will improve with another year of shoulder micronerve healing
- could approach 2010 success (see: domination of Falcons in playoffs)

2. Sam Shields,
- did not progress in 2011; regained prowess in a dominant CB2 role by the end of last season
- tackling ability vastly improved
- fastest/quickest defensive player, easily

3. Casey Hayward
- solidified the slot after Woodson's (failed) switch to safety
- caught every wayward pass thrown his way, excellent ball skills in a crowd
- no lag in transitioning to a pro defensive playbook; game will only slow down more in 2013

4. House
- would've earned CB2 to start season if it wasn't for his shoulder injury
- good size and strength to matchup well against the Calvin Johnsons and Brandon Marshalls
- an incomplete for 2012 but will at the least add valuable depth this year

I think our CBs are in the top 5 in the NFL. This is a true position of strength on our team. Any ideas on how these 4 may evolve this year?

I'm starting to wonder if Shields could transition to Woodson's old rover position. He is effective outside; in Woodson's old role, it could allow him to truly become a gamechanger. Haven't heard this idea mentioned yet, so I'm throwing it out there. Could it work? Could either Hayward or House be effective outside to free up Sam?

Pugger
05-26-2013, 07:08 AM
It all depends upon Williams' shoulder. If indeed is is healed and he can return to close to his 2010 form we'll have a pretty nice CB group for sure.

rbaloha1
05-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Certainly on paper it appears to be a top five group.

The cb position is changing since cbs are going to play a bigger role in playing the run against read option plays.

KYPack
05-26-2013, 11:37 AM
It all depends upon Williams' shoulder. If indeed is is healed and he can return to close to his 2010 form we'll have a pretty nice CB group for sure.

I dunno about Tramon Williams, Pug.

(I'm pretty sure Tyrone Williams won't help us this season)

Still dinged after two years?

Sounds like nerve damage and that kind doesn't heal up.

I think he might be toast.

rbaloha1
05-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Ditto.

Guiness
05-26-2013, 03:46 PM

I'm tending to agree.

Nerves take a long time to heal - if they do at all. I'd like to hear expert opinion on what can be expected in the way of recovery. I remember one quote from him that said something to the effect that he was told they would never fully heal. In this article from earlier this month, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/07/tramon-williams-2011-shoulder-injury-still-hasnt-fully-healed/ he's saying it was still bothering him at the beginning of the 2012 season but he toughed it out. Some really bad decisions were made there - I'm assuming he didn't bringing it to the coaches attention, AND his coaches had to of noticed it was affecting him. If it needed rest to heal, he should've been given some.

Now that I think about it a bit though, I'm not so sure rest would help? It's not a muscle or soft tissue injury. Maybe the coaches knew rest would not speed the healing process, so just decided to play him because even in his state, he was still the best option?

Anyways, I would put Tramon on my dark horse list to get cut in TC, for the reasons in the OP. If Shields continues to improve, and they decide either House or Hayward is a viable starter, I think they offer Tramon a salary reduction. Should he refuse it, he could be gone. Not helping him is his age - 30. Magic number that.

He injured the shoulder in week 1 of 2011. By the time TC rolls around this year, it will be close to 2 full years, if he isn't back, I don't think he'll come back.

wist43
05-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Was just thinking about our cornerbacks tonight:

1. Tyrone Williams:
- improved from 2011, but was still a gunshy tackler in 2012
- will improve with another year of shoulder micronerve healing
- could approach 2010 success (see: domination of Falcons in playoffs)

2. Sam Shields,
- did not progress in 2011; regained prowess in a dominant CB2 role by the end of last season
- tackling ability vastly improved
- fastest/quickest defensive player, easily

3. Casey Hayward
- solidified the slot after Woodson's (failed) switch to safety
- caught every wayward pass thrown his way, excellent ball skills in a crowd
- no lag in transitioning to a pro defensive playbook; game will only slow down more in 2013

4. House
- would've earned CB2 to start season if it wasn't for his shoulder injury
- good size and strength to matchup well against the Calvin Johnsons and Brandon Marshalls
- an incomplete for 2012 but will at the least add valuable depth this year

I think our CBs are in the top 5 in the NFL. This is a true position of strength on our team. Any ideas on how these 4 may evolve this year?

I'm starting to wonder if Shields could transition to Woodson's old rover position. He is effective outside; in Woodson's old role, it could allow him to truly become a gamechanger. Haven't heard this idea mentioned yet, so I'm throwing it out there. Could it work? Could either Hayward or House be effective outside to free up Sam?

Top 5 in the NFL?? Without looking at anyone else's CB's, and saying that I like all of those guys to whatever extent - top 5 in the NFL?? That's nuts.

It's next to impossible to evaluate any of the DB's though b/c of the disaster that is Dom Capers. I expect Capers will be fired after this season though, so hopefully we can get a decent DC in there, and this guys can be coached up to their potential.

Pugger
05-26-2013, 11:48 PM

Neither do I, that's why I said IF. We'll know soon if he is indeed toast or not. I hope not.

Upnorth
05-28-2013, 11:57 AM
If we do have top 5 CB potential then we must ahve horrible coaching to have the defense we do. I just don't think we have top 5 cb talent, and honestly while they all look good and seem talented it has not translated into consistency.

run pMc
05-28-2013, 12:08 PM
If not Top 5, I'd say something like Top 8. Now about those safeties...

I think Heyward might be better at Woodson's rover spot. Heyward has a natural nose for the ball and already has the slot down. Shields is faster and a better fit outside IMO.

If Bush had better cover skills/instincts I'd think he would be a Woodson rover candidate -- when they blitzed him it was like a missile looking for a target...that usually missed and hit the civilians.

Injuries plays a big role in whether a squad is considered great or not. Tramon is worth keeping around as a #1CB at his salary IMO. The nerves still aren't going to be all the way -- they likely never will -- but they'll be better than they were last year and I think his play will reflect that. If Joe Whitt can keep a fire lit under TW (esp. w/r/t his run defense and tackling) we'll be debating whether to extend Raji or TW in a few months.

smuggler
05-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Yeah, the CBs are pretty good. The safeties are either unproven, incomplete, or terrible.

Smeefers
05-29-2013, 08:03 PM
We were tied at #8 with 18 interceptions. That's minus Charles Woodson most of the season and Williams banged up. Not to shabby in my eyes. Just the year before we blew everyone out of the water with 31. I would agree that we have an excellent CB core.

rbaloha1
05-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Yeah, the CBs are pretty good. The safeties are either unproven, incomplete, or terrible.

Yup. Burnett needs to take his game to a pro bowl level.

IMO Hyde should be tried at safety opposite Burnett.

LEWCWA
05-31-2013, 03:10 AM
Neither do I, that's why I said IF. We'll know soon if he is indeed toast or not. I hope not.

He was alluding to the fact that Tyrone Williams played over a decade ago and probably isn't in very good shape these days....

Pugger
05-31-2013, 06:36 AM
He was alluding to the fact that Tyrone Williams played over a decade ago and probably isn't in very good shape these days....

Good catch!! :lol: I didn't notice he said Tyrone instead of Tramon Williams!! Evidently Tramon has worked hard and says his shoulder is much better now. If he is back close to his old self that will be welcome news indeed. :grin:

rbaloha1
05-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Good catch!! :lol: I didn't notice he said Tyrone instead of Tramon Williams!! Evidently Tramon has worked hard and says his shoulder is much better now. If he is back close to his old self that will be welcome news indeed. :grin:

Lets wait until TW attempts to tackle Gore, AP, etc.