PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers on new Pack of receivers: I like the guys we got

woodbuck27
05-27-2013, 04:36 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2013/05/26/packers-new-generation-of-receivers-james-jones-jordy-nelson-randall-cobb/2361561/

Rodgers on new Pack of receivers: I like the guys we got

Weston Hodkiewicz, ... USA TODAY Sports ... 8:07 AM EDT ... May 26, 2013

"I still like the guys we got," said Rodgers, whose team's passing game has ranked in the top 10 in the league each year he's started in Green Bay. "We have a lot of talent at that position. I think Randall Cobb is a guy who could be a 100-plus-catch guy every year. James Jones led the league in touchdown receptions last year. (And) Jordy has had some real big years for us." Aaron Rodgers Fr. LINK above

"We're going to be the same guys we were last year," Jones said. "All of us that are here were the lead receivers on the team last year in some category. We're going to be the same leaders we were last year. It's not going to change just because Donald and Greg are gone. We feel like we all were leaders in that room. We'll be the same guys, have fun and lead when we have to lead." Packers WR James Jones Fr. LINK above

Please hit that LINK for the entire story.

GO PACK GO !

George Cumby
05-27-2013, 08:37 AM
At least he didn't say its the most talented team he's ever been on...........

Fritz
05-27-2013, 08:59 AM
I like ol' James Jones. We're gonna miss him. Kind of a lesser version of Sterling Sharpe. But a damn good receiver. And blocker.

Joemailman
05-27-2013, 09:00 AM
At least he didn't say its the most talented team he's ever been on...........

What if he had? Would that be a problem?

Jimx29
05-27-2013, 07:05 PM
We got, or We have?

George Cumby
05-27-2013, 08:13 PM
What if he had? Would that be a problem?

Remember the last guy who used that line every off-season?

Joemailman
05-27-2013, 08:54 PM

I remember him saying it prior to the 2007 season. They went 13-3 and made it to the NFL Title Game, so maybe he wasn't real far off.

RashanGary
05-27-2013, 09:00 PM
I like the guys we got too. I'm hoping Finley gets his act together. For some reason, with that knucklehead, I suspect he'll humble up and do it like they ask in his contract year. He has no choice. It's that or lose out on a lot of money from someone. He desperately needs a big year if he wants to get his career deal from someone.

I like Jones, Jordy and Cobb. That's plenty of talent on the outside. None of them are particularly old. None of them are particularly injury prone. We should be pretty alright with our top guys. The running game can't get worse, and we added talent. That should be a boost.

Brandon and I are the resident Boykin honks. He's a talented kid though. He's real natural, smart, tough, big, strong, hands. . . Maybe he's not fast, but if he's pressed into action, I'm really excited to see him play. He's kinda like Anquon Boldin. Not nearly as slow as Boldin, probably not as smart/tough. But in that mold, a possession guy. He's real strong and explosive for his size. I think he has some physical talent too, not just a slow loser eating snaps.

Tori Gurley was that slow loser type. He sort of crawled off the line, had no suddeness to his breaks, no strength for his size. Boykin is different. He's big and plays that way. He's explosive, sudden, all that. He's not a slug like Gurley. And Boykin has a natural feel for the game. He was a real smart, natural, heady player in college. Real reliable, knows how to get open.

And then we have the speed demons. Who's not excited about a 6'2" 217lb WR who runs a 4.38. Johnson's coaches say he's real natural playing the ball. YOu'd think his 4.38 speed would be his #1 quality, but the coaches said it was his ball skills. That's exciting. He's probably going to only be able to run one route well, but hell, if he's the #5 WR and he cracks ST's, you can trot him out there 3 or 4 times per game and let him run as fast as he can straight up field. AR has the arm and accuracy to put it on him.

We miss Jennings, but such is life in the NFL. You have to draft well to replenish the talent you can't afford to keep under the cap. It's a good problem to have, having too much talent to pay.

Carolina_Packer
05-27-2013, 09:23 PM
I like the guys we got too. I'm hoping Finley gets his act together. For some reason, with that knucklehead, I suspect he'll humble up and do it like they ask in his contract year. He has no choice. It's that or lose out on a lot of money from someone. He desperately needs a big year if he wants to get his career deal from someone.

I like Jones, Jordy and Cobb. That's plenty of talent on the outside. None of them are particularly old. None of them are particularly injury prone. We should be pretty alright with our top guys. The running game can't get worse, and we added talent. That should be a boost.

Brandon and I are the resident Boykin honks. He's a talented kid though. He's real natural, smart, tough, big, strong, hands. . . Maybe he's not fast, but if he's pressed into action, I'm really excited to see him play. He's kinda like Anquon Boldin. Not nearly as slow as Boldin, probably not as smart/tough. But in that mold, a possession guy. He's real strong and explosive for his size. I think he has some physical talent too, not just a slow loser eating snaps.

Tori Gurley was that slow loser type. He sort of crawled off the line, had no suddeness to his breaks, no strength for his size. Boykin is different. He's big and plays that way. He's explosive, sudden, all that. He's not a slug like Gurley. And Boykin has a natural feel for the game. He was a real smart, natural, heady player in college. Real reliable, knows how to get open.

And then we have the speed demons. Who's not excited about a 6'2" 217lb WR who runs a 4.38. Johnson's coaches say he's real natural playing the ball. YOu'd think his 4.38 speed would be his #1 quality, but the coaches said it was his ball skills. That's exciting. He's probably going to only be able to run one route well, but hell, if he's the #5 WR and he cracks ST's, you can trot him out there 3 or 4 times per game and let him run as fast as he can straight up field. AR has the arm and accuracy to put it on him.

We miss Jennings, but such is life in the NFL. You have to draft well to replenish the talent you can't afford to keep under the cap. It's a good problem to have, having too much talent to pay.

Good thoughts. I think Boykin might make a move this year. A chain mover if Finley can't be. If the running game can bring one more guy up in the box, perhaps Finley can get some mismatches.

I would love to see that Johnson kid make like Marques Colston and have the rest of the league say, where the hell did this guy come from and how did we miss on him? If this kid can get into the playbook, stay healthy, get some opportunities and confidence, he could make some people stand up and take notice.

I agree with you on Jennings walking. I really liked him as a player, and would like to see him stay, but the economics of the salary cap era are such that you can only declare so many core guys and he was too pricey for what was needed.

RashanGary
05-27-2013, 09:32 PM
You watch Boykin in college, Carolina? I only saw youtube clips and read what people wrote about him coming out. Then, watched him in preseason.

Brandon494
05-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Like Justin said I'm a big fan of Boykin, being a Virginia Tech fan I've watched every game he played and this guy is a natural football player. He only ran the 40 in 4.7 seconds which is slow but he was the combine's top performer for the 60 yard dash which shows he does have nice burst off the line. He is also the complete opposite of Finley in that he catches everything thrown his way. Like I said there was a reason TT kept him on the team last season and I believe he'll show that this upcoming season.

Zool
05-28-2013, 08:53 AM
What do he suppose to say? He hate his WR's?

RashanGary
05-28-2013, 08:57 AM

That would be the more entertaining comment, for sure.

But how does this picture not inspire confidence. Cobb looks looks really strong, athletic, flexible, loose. Looks to be in fantastic shape. Sometimes athleticism/flexibility/arm length makes guys play longer than they are tall. Cobb seems to fit that bill in this pic.

http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20130525&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=305250436&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Packers-start-season-new-generation-receivers

RashanGary
05-28-2013, 08:59 AM
If I did what Cobb did there, I'd probably have a strained core muscle, my spine would need correcting and when I landed, I'd have a three-ligament tear in my left knee. And I'm not in that bad of shape, haha.

Zool
05-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I agree there is some really good talent in the WR core. Really the only thing missing is GJ. Driver was a ghost last season. I just generally make fun of fluff "news" pieces.

hoosier
05-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Like Justin said I'm a big fan of Boykin, being a Virginia Tech fan I've watched every game he played and this guy is a natural football player. He only ran the 40 in 4.7 seconds which is slow but he was the combine's top performer for the 60 yard dash which shows he does have nice burst off the line. He is also the complete opposite of Finley in that he catches everything thrown his way. Like I said there was a reason TT kept him on the team last season and I believe he'll show that this upcoming season.

Boykin's 60 yd shuttle time was 11.22, which was 9th in his class, not first. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a clear correlation between elite 60 times and success in the NFL.

The Best 60-Yard Shuttle Times in NFL Combine

Brian Hartline, Ohio State, (WR), 10.92 —2009

David Bruton, Notre Dame, (Safety), 10.96—2009

Craig Dahl, North Dakota State (DB), 11.03—2007

A.J. Jefferson, Fresno State, (CB) 11.04—2010

Alterraun Verner, UCLA, (CB) 11.06—2010

Scott Long, Louisville, (WR) 11.06—2010

rbaloha1
05-28-2013, 10:46 AM
If I did what Cobb did there, I'd probably have a strained core muscle, my spine would need correcting and when I landed, I'd have a three-ligament tear in my left knee. And I'm not in that bad of shape, haha.

There is nothing unique about this type of NFL catch.

Anything else you looking to sell?

Brandon494
05-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Boykin's 60 yd shuttle time was 11.22, which was 9th in his class, not first. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a clear correlation between elite 60 times and success in the NFL.

The Best 60-Yard Shuttle Times in NFL Combine

Brian Hartline, Ohio State, (WR), 10.92 —2009

David Bruton, Notre Dame, (Safety), 10.96—2009

Craig Dahl, North Dakota State (DB), 11.03—2007

A.J. Jefferson, Fresno State, (CB) 11.04—2010

Alterraun Verner, UCLA, (CB) 11.06—2010

Scott Long, Louisville, (WR) 11.06—2010

Weird, on NFL.com they had him as the top performer on the 60 yard shuttle. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/jarrett-boykin?id=2532799

I don't know much about the other guys but I do know Hartline had a pretty good season last year for the Fins as their go to receiver.

Tony Oday
05-28-2013, 11:18 AM

Except 90% of NFL WR cant do that...

Brandon494
05-28-2013, 11:21 AM

:grin:

As long as TT is our GM I doubt we'll ever hear those words coming out of ARod's mouth, finding talent at WR is TT specialty.

Upnorth
05-28-2013, 11:33 AM
While I think we are pretty good at WR, I don't think Boykin will be the second coming. If we are lucky he will be a good 4th option, but to compare him to Boldin, pass me the kool aid. (If I am wrong on this please bump this and we will celebrate my error toghther)

RashanGary
05-28-2013, 11:41 AM

How about some, "fuck you!", I'd be happy to sell you a couple orders of that.

rbaloha1
05-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Except 90% of NFL WR cant do that...

Where did you come up with this number?

rbaloha1
05-28-2013, 12:09 PM

How do I order it?

woodbuck27
05-28-2013, 12:11 PM

Yes I do;

He was one solidly great football player. One truly great NFL QB. Is that the same fella that led the Green Bay Packers ... to the best winning percentage in the NFL in his time with us George?

woodbuck27
05-28-2013, 12:15 PM

You also might catch that football.

woodbuck27
05-28-2013, 12:20 PM
While I think we are pretty good at WR, I don't think Boykin will be the second coming. If we are lucky he will be a good 4th option, but to compare him to Boldin, pass me the kool aid. (If I am wrong on this please bump this and we will celebrate my error toghther)

Would the San Fran 49ers trade A. Bolden straight up for Boykin? Would the age difference swing that action?

PACKERS !

RashanGary
05-28-2013, 02:25 PM
How do I order it?

You don't have to do anything. Just be yourself.

hoosier
05-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Weird, on NFL.com they had him as the top performer on the 60 yard shuttle. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/jarrett-boykin?id=2532799

I don't know much about the other guys but I do know Hartline had a pretty good season last year for the Fins as their go to receiver.

Looks like "top performer" means part of a group of top performers. That and the top performers are grouped by position, so what you saw wasn't comparing Boykin to DBs. There are a few really good WRs who have done well on the 60 yd shuttle (Julio Jones, Greg Jennings, Hartline). But there are also lots and lots of guys you and I have never heard of.

Upnorth
05-28-2013, 02:43 PM
I seriously doubt any team would give up much of anything for Boykin or else we would have heard that rumor from somewhere by now.

Regarding the Cobb catch, while the 90% statement cannot be confirmed nor disproven, that is one hell of a catch and anyone who thinks it is routine (or implies it with diminishing statements) is either being a troll or does not watch receptions in football. When I watch a game I watch the line play live and then focus on the receiving and running during the replay. routine catches are not replayed extensivley and I garentee that that catch would make a lot of highlight reels.

rbaloha1
05-28-2013, 02:46 PM
You don't have to do anything. Just be yourself.

Is there any other PACKER BULLSHIT you want to sell?:talk:

rbaloha1
05-28-2013, 02:47 PM
I seriously doubt any team would give up much of anything for Boykin or else we would have heard that rumor from somewhere by now.

Regarding the Cobb catch, while the 90% statement cannot be confirmed nor disproven, that is one hell of a catch and anyone who thinks it is routine (or implies it with diminishing statements) is either being a troll or does not watch receptions in football. When I watch a game I watch the line play live and then focus on the receiving and running during the replay. routine catches are not replayed extensivley and I garentee that that catch would make a lot of highlight reels.

Who do you think you are Judge Wapner?:trll:

Upnorth
05-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Who do you think you are Judge Wapner?:trll:

Jury and Executioner :cat:

swede
05-28-2013, 03:01 PM
...Regarding the Cobb catch, while the 90% statement cannot be confirmed nor disproven, that is one hell of a catch and anyone who thinks it is routine....

Not having seen the play, I think it is a very, very good catch if he makes it and keeps possession. It is a ridiculously good catch if he makes it and stays on his feet for YAC...that is Cobb being Cobb after all.

swede
05-28-2013, 03:02 PM
First DP in like, forever.

Zool
05-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Jury and Executioner :cat:

Dredd?

Upnorth
05-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Dredd?

Intimidating aren't I

As an aside, awesome comic horrible movie.

Joemailman
05-28-2013, 04:10 PM

http://deadcowgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/1Big-Cup-of-Shut-The-Fuck-Up_7397ec4c8bb83e02987950e65c92d94e-395x400.jpg

woodbuck27
05-28-2013, 05:37 PM

Then I would agree with you Upnorth:

Is there a LINK you can supply here on this thread, of that Randall Cobb outstanding reception, for us all to enjoy again.....please.

If so .... Thanks Upnorth.

GO PACK GO !

Upnorth
05-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Just look at post #13 in this thread, great extension and concentration. I realize its just pratice, but that is still amazing (to me anyway). Ask JH for the link details.

woodbuck27
05-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Just look at post #13 in this thread, great extension and concentration. I realize its just pratice, but that is still amazing (to me anyway). Ask JH for the link details.

'Of course' I saw and responded to the Pic of what looked like a possible completion on post #13 this thread.

I don't recall seeing this pic before today; or any video of the entire play....I'd enjoy seeing that.

THANKS Upnorth. Maybe someone can supply such in a LINK!?