PDA

View Full Version : OTAs Week 2 - May 28th 2013

pbmax
05-28-2013, 03:25 PM
From Twitter accounts of Vandermause, Dunne, Wilde, Dougherty, Oates, WesHod and their retweets.

Neal works at OLB and De

No Shields, no Jolly.

Newhouse is #1 RT. Barclay backs him up. Bahktiari is at LT

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod
#Packers nonparticipants: Dorsey, Johnson, Harris, Richardson, House, Moses, Bishop, Tretter, Sherrod, Worthy. No Shields or Jolly

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 3h
Seventh round rookie WRs Kevin Dorsey and Charles Johnson standing on sideline, just like last week.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2h
#Packers have also signed a safety, David Fulton, out of Chowan (N.C.) University

Alex Green with Starters. Has early fumble.

ROSS! ROSS! ROSS! ROSS! ROSS! ROSS! ROSS! ROSS!
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 2h
#Packers punt returners at OTA: Cobb, Ross, Franklin, Nelson. Last week they were working on punt coverage, which is where Ross was.

MD Jennings over McMillan at #1 safety

Hayward at outside CB, Bush in slot.

Boykin left field with injury

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2h
During team drills, #Packers kickers Mason Crosby and Giorgio Tavecchio taking turns on field goals on other field

Barclay later got reps with #1s

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 2h
Don Barclay was lining up everywhere again --- tackle, guard and center. #Packers

pbmax
05-28-2013, 03:25 PM
M3 Interview Post Practice
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy: Statistically, we have not done well at forcing fumbles. 48% of fumbles caused due to sacks/blitzes. Definitely emphasis of ours.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy: Really thought Manning came on at the end of the season. ...Would have made impact earlier if not for injuries.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 1h
MM: Quarless is in best shape he's been in since he's been with us. Looks good, appears to be past his injury.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h
MM on '12 rookies: Played lots of snaps, so experience is there. Says Perry looks good. "Second-year player is where you make biggest" jump

pbmax
05-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 2h
Dime with Hyde n McMillan in slots, Williams n Hayward outside

pbmax
05-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Wilde's Sulia account with Capers quote on preparing for Pistol and Read Option:

"We’re mixing some in. Obviously, the first two teams we open up with (run it). Really, the Redskins did more than the 49ers last year. The 49ers just kind of fell into it in the playoffs. Over 50 percent of what they did all year came in the last three games. The Redskins did a lot more of it. So, I don’t know how much they’ll do now but they certainly did a lot of it last year. Any time your first two games people are doing it, you’re going to work it in. I’m sure that a lot of teams will have a certain element of it in their game.

"I just think working on it and guys getting a feel for it. If guys are doing that and the quarterback’s running, you just can’t pin your ears back and rush the passer, like a lot of guys get paid to do in this league. You have to reel that in a little bit. We’re trying to work our way through to get ready for everything in training camp. Obviously, prior to this, we really hadn’t worked (on read-option stuff) much in the offseason but that seems to be the thing everybody’s looking at. We’ll mix it in where our guys will feel comfortable with it."

http://sulia.com/channel/green-bay-packers/f/91b93491-8ddd-4751-b693-d40f3517f0c1/

Pugger
05-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Good news on the Quarless front I must say. :glug:

hoosier
05-28-2013, 07:34 PM
And there goes Boykin....

Too bad they didn't swing that straight-up trade for Anquan Boldin.

woodbuck27
05-28-2013, 08:03 PM
M3 Interview Post Practice
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy: Statistically, we have not done well at forcing fumbles. 48% of fumbles caused due to sacks/blitzes. Definitely emphasis of ours.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy: Really thought Manning came on at the end of the season. ...Would have made impact earlier if not for injuries.

MM: Quarless is in best shape he's been in since he's been with us. Looks good, appears to be past his injury.

MM on '12 rookies: Played lots of snaps, so experience is there. Says Perry looks good. "Second-year player is where you make biggest" jump

Comment woodbuck27:

Good stuff there. :?

Thanks pbmax.

GO PACK GO !

red
05-28-2013, 08:52 PM
so with newhouse at RT can we assume bulaga is the LT from now on?

Joemailman
05-28-2013, 09:01 PM

Where the heck have you been? :lol: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25443-It-is-official-Bulaga-and-Sitton-are-on-the-left-side

packer4life
05-28-2013, 10:47 PM

Did you just stroke out?

Guiness
05-29-2013, 01:00 AM
Is Shields hurt?

I would expect Jolly on sidelines, they probably want to see how he reacts to the environment.

MadScientist
05-29-2013, 02:20 AM
Is Shields hurt?

I would expect Jolly on sidelines, they probably want to see how he reacts to the environment.

Shields is not under contract. He wants a longer term deal so he has not signed his tender yet. Can't blame him, but he's been a little up and down and playing for $2M this year might lead to much more next than he could get this year.

Apparently there is still a bit more 'process' with Jolly. That is as much as they will tell us at this point. He really needs to get to the OTA's soon to have any chance of making the team, but legal crap is legal crap.

Patler
05-29-2013, 06:31 AM
Disappointing that Shields is not there, signed contract or no signed contract. As I recall, when he was an RFA holdout, Ryan Grant attended everything, watching and learning but not participating. Shields should be doing the same, assuming that the new CBA allows that.

It was said once before that Jolly could experience delays in getting permission to leave the state, since he is on probation. I'm not suggesting he should receive special treatment, but through this whole ordeal the system (both legal and NFL) has seemed to work against him getting to the best support system he has for a change, his football family.

pbmax
05-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Disappointing that Shields is not there, signed contract or no signed contract. As I recall, when he was an RFA holdout, Ryan Grant attended everything, watching and learning but not participating. Shields should be doing the same, assuming that the new CBA allows that.

It was said once before that Jolly could experience delays in getting permission to leave the state, since he is on probation. I'm not suggesting he should receive special treatment, but through this whole ordeal the system (both legal and NFL) has seemed to work against him getting to the best support system he has for a change, his football family.

Yep, he seems to be caught off guard by the delay as well. At first he thought he would be up here last week, then he amended it to yesterday on Twitter. So even the guy on probation is confused about his own calendar.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-29-2013, 10:12 AM
That would hurt if Jolly is not able to prove himself. He very well might be that missing piece up front that we have been waiting for. On a positive note I'm excited to see what Quarless can do this year. I thought he played very well in 2010 and was becoming a solid player. I hope he earns and large role in the offense this year.

Brandon494
05-29-2013, 02:13 PM
That would hurt if Jolly is not able to prove himself. He very well might be that missing piece up front that we have been waiting for. On a positive note I'm excited to see what Quarless can do this year. I thought he played very well in 2010 and was becoming a solid player. I hope he earns and large role in the offense this year.

I believe we will be seeing a lot of Ouarless next season since he is really the only TE on the roster who has proven to be a all-around TE. Jolly imo is a long shot to make the team though being out of football for 3 years now.

Fritz
05-29-2013, 03:08 PM
And there goes Boykin....

Too bad they didn't swing that straight-up trade for Anquan Boldin.

Any word on the extent of Boykin's injury?

swede
05-29-2013, 03:58 PM

Cowboys fan in parole office secretly shredding documents to hold up Jolly's paperwork! #Jerrah #Conspiracy

KYPack
05-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Cowboys fan in parole office secretly shredding documents to hold up Jolly's paperwork! #Jerrah #Conspiracy

I can't help but wonder if the league isn't going to do a couple "pop wiz quizzes" on JJ.

They need to know for sure that Jolly and purple are indeed strangers.

Guiness
05-29-2013, 04:04 PM
I believe we will be seeing a lot of Ouarless next season since he is really the only TE on the roster who has proven to be a all-around TE. Jolly imo is a long shot to make the team though being out of football for 3 years now.

I'd bet Jolly sticks around somehow. They didn't bring him to camp because they felt bad for him, they did because they think he can contribute.

Unless he shows that he's really lost it, they will find a way to keep him - I wouldn't discount PUP to start the season for him, and that's valid. It will take him sometime to get back into shape physically and to come back to the game mentally.

Brandon494
05-29-2013, 04:11 PM
I'd bet Jolly sticks around somehow. They didn't bring him to camp because they felt bad for him, they did because they think he can contribute.

Unless he shows that he's really lost it, they will find a way to keep him - I wouldn't discount PUP to start the season for him, and that's valid. It will take him sometime to get back into shape physically and to come back to the game mentally.

I'd been very surprised if he makes the roster and I'm hoping he does because that would mean he still has it. Which DL would u cut in favor of him?

Cleft Crusty
05-29-2013, 04:13 PM
I'd been very surprised if he makes the roster and I'm hoping he does because that would mean he still has it. Which DL would u cut in favor of him?

someone will go on IR, whether they are injured or not. Most likely Worthy at this point.

Brandon494
05-29-2013, 04:17 PM
someone will go on IR, whether they are injured or not. Most likely Worthy at this point.

True but will Jolly show enough for the team to keep him over Neal, Wilson, or Daniels? He might but like I continue to say its not 2009 anymore, hes not going to be the same player we remember.

Joemailman
05-29-2013, 04:19 PM
They would normally would keep 6 DL. However, it would be expected that Jolly might need some extra time before he's ready to contribute, so they might need to keep 7 if they keep him. I'm wondering if that has something to do with Mike Neal working out at OLB. If he can play some there, they might be able to go with 1 more DL and one less LB than normal.

Brandon494
05-29-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't know what the hell they are thinking with Mike Neal at OLB but they aren't even in pads yet so I'm not taking the move seriously. I'm guessing they just want him to practice dropping into zone coverage so when we called for zone blitzes he'll have some idea of what hes doing.

Cleft Crusty
05-29-2013, 04:25 PM
I don't know what the hell they are thinking with Mike Neal at OLB but they aren't even in pads yet so I'm not taking the move seriously.

Mr. Wist43.5 noted that the Ravens had some pretty large LBs out there crowding the LOS in their 2-4 schematic against the Patsies. It may be that he will be used in some similar capacity. Just so long as they aren't playing against Kelly's "super speed" offense.

Brandon494
05-29-2013, 04:26 PM
I don't see them keeping more then 4 OLBs anyway with Jones having experience at the position.

Guiness
05-29-2013, 06:48 PM

Or like I said, Jolly starts the season on the PUP.

pbmax
05-29-2013, 07:11 PM

That's tough though, he would have to miss all of camp.

woodbuck27
05-29-2013, 08:35 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/dom-capers-emphasizes-more-takeaways-in-packers-otas-b9920599z1-209291001.html

Word From The OTA's:

Notes

Dom Capers emphasizes more takeaways in Packers OTAs

Please Click on LINK for news.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
05-29-2013, 10:10 PM
http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=22371

OTA practices still a work in progress

May 29, 2013 -- 12:58am

GREEN BAY –

" Mike McCarthy didn’t sound like a man happy with his team’s performance Tuesday – even the Green Bay Packers coach has presided over enough organized team activity practices to know that things aren’t always going to operate smoothly.

“We’re trying to get better as a football team. We’re installing offense, defense and special teams. This is the installation phase, so it’s disjointed,” McCarthy said after the second open-to-the-media practice ended Tuesday afternoon. “You have some mental errors. You have some, particularly in the team period, some things that don’t look very good, but there’s definitely a new emphasis in a couple of different areas, which happens every year.

“You’re trying to maintain the success that you’ve had in the past and continue to build off them with variation but also identifying the things you need to work on. So I think our practice reflects that.”..." Fr. LINK

Please ... Click on LINK for more of the latest story fr. the OTA's

GO PACKERS !

Joemailman
05-29-2013, 10:12 PM

Doesn't there have to be an injury to be on PUP?

swede
05-30-2013, 12:09 AM
MM: If you are hurt we can PUP you. Otherwise you are the 54th guy.

Bubble Guy: Owie!

woodbuck27
05-30-2013, 10:20 AM

Thank goodness for your humor, Swede.

It's solid Packer fan.

GO PACK GO !

Guiness
05-30-2013, 02:06 PM

Yup, that about sums it up. Problem with the PUP list is that as soon as he steps on the practice field, he is ineligible - kind of counter intuitive, but I guess it saves guys getting stashed there. He has to miss all of TC.

The other one is the Non-Football Injury list, then of course the IR. Here's a description of them, and I'm sure there's wiggle room to get him on one if they want to.
https://www.nflplayers.com/news.aspx?section=Articles&cat=Public-News&title=Hurt-What-Injured-Players-Need-to-Know

Brandon494
05-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Like I said hes a long shot to make the team and Worthy will be the player on PUP for sure.

Guiness
05-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Like I said hes a long shot to make the team and Worthy will be the player on PUP for sure.

It is looking like worthy is PUP, or even IR for this season. What was the actual injury? All I ever saw was 'knee injury'

The guy I'm wondering about is House. It certainly hasn't started off well for him this off-season if he can't even participate in non-contact drills.

Patler
05-30-2013, 06:32 PM
The guy I'm wondering about is House. It certainly hasn't started off well for him this off-season if he can't even participate in non-contact drills.

I'm not too worried about House yet, he had shoulder surgery at the end of January and they said 3 months before resuming workouts. No sense pushing him too hard now. I suspect his day is filled working with PT's and trainers.