PDA

View Full Version : The Green Bay Packers position at Safety ... Hope To Avoid Deja Vu.

woodbuck27
05-29-2013, 11:12 AM
http://www.packerpedia.com/deja-vu.html

Packers Hope To Avoid Deja Vu

by Mike Conklin

E-mail: mikeconklin@packerpedia.com ... May 28, 2013

" Baseball legend Yogi Berra was the king of quirky one-liners. After watching his Yankees teammates Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris hit back-to-back home runs, something they did no fewer than ten times, Berra once famously quipped, "It's deja vu all over again."

There may be a strangely familiar feeling in Green Bay as well these days, in terms of how this year's roster is shaping up. Packers fans may not need to try very hard to channel their inner Yogi. " Fr. LINK

Comment woodbuck27:

This article touches on some very interesting points. I hope it's a decent focus of conversation and information.

Please Click on the LINK for the rest of the authors views.

GO PACK GO !

HarveyWallbangers
05-29-2013, 11:31 AM
The Packers have rolled the dice at other positions with youth, and it worked. In 2008 at QB they kicked Brett Favre to the curb and rolled with Aaron Rodgers, Brian Brohm, and Matt Flynn. Last year, they rolled with Sam Shields, Casey Hayward, and Davon House at corner. Sometimes it works to roll with youth. Sometimes it doesn't. On the plus side, it keeps the roster young and relatively inexpensive--which is important in today's NFL.

rbaloha1
05-29-2013, 12:15 PM
The Packers have rolled the dice at other positions with youth, and it worked. In 2008 at QB they kicked Brett Favre to the curb and rolled with Aaron Rodgers, Brian Brohm, and Matt Flynn. Last year, they rolled with Sam Shields, Casey Hayward, and Davon House at corner. Sometimes it works to roll with youth. Sometimes it doesn't. On the plus side, it keeps the roster young and relatively inexpensive--which is important in today's NFL.

Nice post.

It is interesting you bring up youth. Andrew Brandt had a piece in Sports Illustrated last week about part of his job with the Packers to sign money ball players which continues today.

Sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

woodbuck27
05-29-2013, 01:38 PM
This is my take regarding the authors position.

It's simply an interesting 'watch' or a wait and see for Green Bay Packer fans.

PACKERS !

Fritz
05-29-2013, 01:53 PM

To get a sense of balance, it would be interesting to compare this organization's way of doing business as set forth against an organization that does not "roll the dice with youth" and see both short and long term how each strategy plays out.

pbmax
05-29-2013, 02:05 PM
The article only selects comparables that have not worked out (RB and OLB) but omits some key info about each.

Those emerging OLBs (Jones, Zombo, Walden)? They all had a fantastic 2010. So it wasn't really a gamble except perhaps injury. I went in thinking Jones was the odds on favorite and Walden and Zombo would compete to back him up.

At RB its a little more head on, but Starks was a vet whose questions were about durability. And sure enough he spent time dinged up in 2012. And no mention of relying on young RBs is complete for 2012 without the caveat of the offensive line woes. And there is no mention of Cedric Benson who was neither young nor developing.

3irty1
05-29-2013, 02:10 PM
there is no mention of Cedric Benson who was neither young nor developing.

Yeah there was.

"The Packers stuck with that plan all throughout last offseason, until they were faced with no other alternative but to seek veteran help a couple weeks into training camp. Both James Starks and Brandon Saine were missing practice time due to injuries, Alex Green was still on a snap count coming off of his ACL injury, and the Packers could not avoid the fact that the position desperately needed to be fortified. The Packers signed Cedric Benson, a relatively proven commodity."

Brandon494
05-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Weak article but its the off season so they have to write about something.

pbmax
05-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Yeah there was.

"The Packers stuck with that plan all throughout last offseason, until they were faced with no other alternative but to seek veteran help a couple weeks into training camp. Both James Starks and Brandon Saine were missing practice time due to injuries, Alex Green was still on a snap count coming off of his ACL injury, and the Packers could not avoid the fact that the position desperately needed to be fortified. The Packers signed Cedric Benson, a relatively proven commodity."

My bad, I missed it.

Fritz
05-29-2013, 03:12 PM
I have hopes for McMillian, but it's only year two, and I think it may not be till his third year that the light really goes on. Nonetheless, I think he'll improve enough to beat out Doc Jennings.

Now if we can get Morgan Burnett to let us nickname him "wife" we've got a perfect backfield tandem for those watching television in the 1970's.

mraynrand
05-29-2013, 03:30 PM
I have hopes for McMillian, but it's only year two, and I think it may not be till his third year that the light really goes on. Nonetheless, I think he'll improve enough to beat out Doc Jennings.

Now if we can get Morgan Burnett to let us nickname him "wife" we've got a perfect backfield tandem for those watching television in the 1970's.

I prefer to call McMillian "Carol"

MadScientist
05-29-2013, 03:37 PM
There are only so many high picks to work with, so some positions will have to get ignored for a couple of years, with the hope that a later round draft pick will step up. When doing draft and development, you have to expect 2nd and 3rd year players to be able to step into a starting role after the previous starter is gone. That is generally a better plan than pinning hopes on a rookie. If the players don't step up as expected, you throw a bunch of the following year's draft at the problem area.