PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers' B. J. Raji not worried about (New) contract

woodbuck27
05-29-2013, 09:21 PM
http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/story/Packers-Raji-not-worried-about-contract?blockID=906139&feedID=5200

Packers' Raji not worried about contract

By: PAUL IMIG ... Published: Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 3:20pm

GREEN BAY, Wis. —

" B.J. Raji isn't worried about his contract, at least not yet. After the Green Bay Packers handed out huge contracts this offseason to quarterback Aaron Rodgers and outside linebacker Clay Matthews, the team's 337-pound nose tackle should be next in line.

"I'm not really going to talk contracts," Raji said Tuesday in the locker room. "Obviously the Packers are a great organization. I feel they'll do right by me."..." Fr. LINK

Please click on LINK for the whole story.

Comment woodbuck27:

With the big signings of Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews III the Green Bay Packers still have approx. $10 million$ in CAP space remaining for the 2013 season.

Please click on LINK for the whole story.

GO PACKERS!

Jimx29
05-29-2013, 09:26 PM
What do you think the numbers will be of his new contract?

RashanGary
05-29-2013, 09:30 PM
5 yrs 42.5m

rbaloha1
05-29-2013, 10:59 PM
What do you think the numbers will be of his new contract?

It certainly will not be with the Packers.

woodbuck27
05-29-2013, 11:29 PM

He has to muster up better than we saw last season and especially at the end. He certainly needs to be rested more. That's where another 'Big Man' must step up.

Otherwise... I'm afraid their going to be simply tossing valuable CAP money away.

PACKERS !

Pugger
05-30-2013, 06:53 AM

With Pickett near the end of his career who do you see as our NT if we dump Raji? A future draft pick? Jolly? Jordan Miller? Gilbert Pena? Moving a DE to nose? Unless we draft a stud DT I don't see Raji going anywhere.

Patler
05-30-2013, 07:00 AM
With Pickett near the end of his career who do you see as our NT if we dump Raji? A future draft pick? Jolly? Jordan Miller? Gilbert Pena? Moving a DE to nose? Unless we draft a stud DT I don't see Raji going anywhere.

Couldn't the same questions have been raised about the center position and resigning Wells going into the 2011 season? A player isn't resigned automatically just because the roster indicates a need to keep the player.

Sometimes the salary cap dictates letting a player leave even if the likely result is a decline in performance at his position.

Pugger
05-30-2013, 07:05 AM
We did go out and sign Saturday to take Wells' place but that didn't work out so well. Maybe one of these kids will shine or we'll get another Pickett in the 2014 draft. Raji just might price himself off the roster like Wells did. We shall see.

3irty1
05-30-2013, 07:52 AM
If we just go with JH's guess which I think is a tad on the high side, that would put Raji at just over 8 per. He's already due to make 6.5 this year so with a bit of signing bonus his cap impact will remain mostly unchanged. He's unlikely to be a cap casualty IMO. Nose tackles generally keep improving well into their 2nd contract as well. Raji could be one of those guys who isn't even in his prime yet.

pbmax
05-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Ted doesn't normally play games but I wonder if the Packer want to see him in a contract year.

woodbuck27
05-30-2013, 09:54 AM

Yup. It looks like he's 'a LOCK' to stay and clean $up$ no matter what he does/doesn't do. That 'of course' depended on a realistic timetable to make another real Super Bowl run. Do we have any chance for that in 2013... YES.

I believe we should make the playoff's and depended on the present then 'after regular season adversity and strength'... of our OL and DL!?? We have a more or less reasonable 'REAL' shot to go through to the Super Bowl and then win another Championship.

RE: B. J. Raji... I just hope that he has the pride necessary to play his tail off. He must not ever again be over used Pugger. That = burnout on BJ Raji and = stupidly on behalf of anyone responsible for such foolish and irresponsible need to do.

It's over the top too obvious to us that over use of Raji and Pickett cannot continue.

'Well Jeee ! That didn't work out as we hoped ... excuses' and overuse of these two BIG MEN. Isn't going to wash with astute Packer fans. The present plan is full of holes as it is and more so 'what if's'.

a) Good grief ... what pressure on the Johnny Jolly 'wish and a prayer'.

b) Is that Rookie prospect supposed to step right in. What's the logical guarantee there?

c) What is Mike Neal?

All we have is the same as the Packer brass and coach's....HOPE ... with a more severe limitation on any guarantee than needed be as I view/viewed it.

TT needed to address the DL in FA or draft a solid DT prospect in April failing the first obvious move. He was pre-occupied with other things I'm guessing. He's like most men. He can 'only' do one thing at a time. :-)

GO PACK GO !

swede
05-30-2013, 11:50 AM
If we just go with JH's guess which I think is a tad on the high side, that would put Raji at just over 8 per. He's already due to make 6.5 this year so with a bit of signing bonus his cap impact will remain mostly unchanged. He's unlikely to be a cap casualty IMO. Nose tackles generally keep improving well into their 2nd contract as well. Raji could be one of those guys who isn't even in his prime yet.
I am kind of on board with this, but I feel as if the team is slow-walking the Raji contract for a while. I think, in the Matthews/Rodgers era, we will let anybody else walk who can't keep their numbers at a value level. Raji's value # is way higher than another player's would be, but there is still a number. Greg Jennings couldn't get paid here at his number, and Raji might not either.

Let's hope Raji plays the best low-profile football in the league so we can keep his $ down to fit under the budget and keep him out of a purple jersey.

Cleft Crusty
05-30-2013, 11:53 AM
What is Mike Neal?

what is the sound of one hand clapping?

rbaloha1
05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Ted doesn't normally play games but I wonder if the Packer want to see him in a contract year.

What are you smoking?

Try and play poker with TT.

rbaloha1
05-30-2013, 11:55 AM
I am kind of on board with this, but I feel as if the team is slow-walking the Raji contract for a while. I think, in the Matthews/Rodgers era, we will let anybody else walk who can't keep their numbers at a value level. Raji's value # is way higher than another player's would be, but there is still a number. Greg Jennings couldn't get paid here at his number, and Raji might not either.

Let's hope Raji plays the best low-profile football in the league so we can keep his $ down to fit under the budget and keep him out of a purple jersey.

The fat pig needs to get ready for a luau.

rbaloha1
05-30-2013, 11:57 AM

Lets see how Boyd turns out along with the other remote options you mentioned.

Why do you think some rats were screaming for Jesse Williams.

Upnorth
05-30-2013, 12:30 PM

If these numbers are doable, then do it already. Raji is worth that imo and possibly a little bit more.

wist43
05-30-2013, 12:47 PM
TT has made a mess of both lines - and he had an opportunity to at least stabalize the DL a little bit by drafting Brandon Williams in the 3rd round... TT of course spit on the idea.

Both our offensive and defensive lines have been in turmoil every year that TT has been here - it's what he does. How do you evaluate players when they are perpetually misused?? Raji belongs on the nose only in a pinch - yet, Capers, MM, and TT can't seem to figure that out.

If I'm Raji, I wouldn't even consider resigning with the Packers - unless they drastically overpaid.

pbmax
05-30-2013, 01:41 PM
What are you smoking?

Try and play poker with TT.

I said he doesn't play games. Why would he play poker just because I asked him?

Brandon494
05-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Couldn't the same questions have been raised about the center position and resigning Wells going into the 2011 season? A player isn't resigned automatically just because the roster indicates a need to keep the player.

Sometimes the salary cap dictates letting a player leave even if the likely result is a decline in performance at his position.

Totally different situations, Scott Wells was 31 while Raji is only 26. DL is also harder position to replace, you rarely see centers take in the 1st round. Also with Finley most likely coming off the books I don't see cap space being a problem either.

Patler
05-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Totally different situations, Scott Wells was 31 while Raji is only 26. DL is also harder position to replace, you rarely see centers take in the 1st round. Also with Finley most likely coming off the books I don't see cap space being a problem either.

To compare apples to apples, Wells was 30 during his final Packer season, and Raji will be 27 during his. But you missed my point.

I wasn't suggesting that Raji absolutely won't be signed, I'm just saying that you can't ignore the financial component. Before his last Packer season the need for Wells was just as significant, and the Packers probably would have signed him at a lower, but decent, contract (if the stories are to be believed). I think they would like to sign Raji, too; but if he and his agent want to get the largest contract they can, I think there is a good chance it won't be from GB.

Just because they need him doesn't mean they will pay whatever he wants.

Joemailman
05-30-2013, 08:09 PM
My guess is TT would have drafted a little differently if he was planning on letting Raji walk. Raji says he wants to stay in Green Bay. My guess is Raji will be offered a decent extension and will sign to get the security that goes with a long term deal rather than play out his contract and risk a career-altering injury. If he does end up entering free agency however, then I wouldn't expect him back.

Patler
05-30-2013, 09:23 PM
My guess is TT would have drafted a little differently if he was planning on letting Raji walk. Raji says he wants to stay in Green Bay. My guess is Raji will be offered a decent extension and will sign to get the security that goes with a long term deal rather than play out his contract and risk a career-altering injury. If he does end up entering free agency however, then I wouldn't expect him back.

I'm not sure one has much to do with the other. TT made no advance preparation via the draft for the eventual loss of Wells, either.

It's good to hear Raji say he wants to stay in GB, but it isn't often they say anything else. Although Jennings basically said he was on his way out.

In the end, I think you might be right, that he will sign a fairly reasonable contract.

RashanGary
05-30-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure one has much to do with the other. TT made no advance preparation via the draft for the eventual loss of Wells, either.

It's good to hear Raji say he wants to stay in GB, but it isn't often they say anything else. Although Jennings basically said he was on his way out.

In the end, I think you might be right, that he will sign a fairly reasonable contract.

Damn it, Patler, I think the Packers really like Raji. I think he's gonna get paid. But. . . I've posted with ya for 8 years. . . Your doubt about paying him high dollars kinda scares me. Your Jennings doubt started the same way. In Ted I trust though. If Ted doesn't feel like keeping Raji is a good move, I trust it's not a good move, or at least it's a move made with a high level of knowledge, and skill at his craft. I'm over trying to out GM our GM.

I hope we keep Raji though. I value him very highly as a player. I think he's our 2nd best defensive player after Matthews.

George Cumby
05-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Damn it, Patler, I think the Packers really like Raji. I think he's gonna get paid. But. . . I've posted with ya for 8 years. . . Your doubt about paying him high dollars kinda scares me. Your Jennings doubt started the same way. In Ted I trust though. If Ted doesn't feel like keeping Raji is a good move, I trust it's not a good move, or at least it's a move made with a high level of knowledge, and skill at his craft. I'm over trying to out GM our GM.

I hope we keep Raji though. I value him very highly as a player. I think he's our 2nd best defensive player after Matthews.

Iirc, Patler was the first to predict that GJ would be gone. Tough to bet against the OG.

Joemailman
05-30-2013, 10:48 PM

I don't think the Jennings situation and the Raji situation are all that comparable. Jennings had missed a lot of games the last 2 years due to injury, and the Packers have 3 outstanding players at WR. If Raji leaves, I think there will be a bigger dropoff in terms of production at his position than there will be at WR with Jennings gone.

Pugger
05-31-2013, 06:18 AM
I don't think the Jennings situation and the Raji situation are all that comparable. Jennings had missed a lot of games the last 2 years due to injury, and the Packers have 3 outstanding players at WR. If Raji leaves, I think there will be a bigger dropoff in terms of production at his position than there will be at WR with Jennings gone.

This is why I suspect Raji might not be going anywhere because we aren't exactly stacked with DTs if Raji leaves - unless we draft one early next May.

Patler
05-31-2013, 07:31 AM

The issues with Jennings were age and durability.
The issues with Raji are performance and consistency.

In the end, most second and subsequent contracts with players come down to a cost/benefit analysis. Some limited salary cap impact range exists below which the Packers will be happy to sign Raji and above which they will be willing to let him go. Within the range they will look for other contract protections. Most contracts they sign are within the range for the player, that's why they sign so many with bonuses for each game played (Woodson the best example), performance bonuses (Grant, for example) two tier salaries even for veterans on IR (Benson), etc. It is that way for every player good enough to earn another contract.

It became fairly obvious a year or so in advance that Kampman, Wells and Jennings were very open to playing somewhere else, for various reasons. Wells and Jennings seemed to want the biggest contracts available. Kampman wanted to be a 4-3 DE.

A year ago, I felt rather certain that Raji would not be re-signed, mostly because I suspected he would prefer playing where he would have more freedom. Early in his career he made casual comments about the difficulty of controlling his instincts and compulsions to just get up field and go directly to the QB or runner, that controlling space was not natural for him. I'm not so sure of that now, it seems he might have bought into the program, so to speak; and the earlier comments might have been his descriptions of his learning curve.

I still believe there are teams out there that will be willing to pay Raji more than GB will. It will likely be determined by Raji's willingness to forgo the security of an early contract renewal with GB for the potential of more dollars in free agency from someone else.

Finally. it is somewhat interesting that there have been no rumors of even preliminary discussions on a renewal for Raji. Not yet overly surprising, because the Packers likely have only about two people who actively work on player contracts. Before the draft, the Rodgers and Matthews contracts occupied most their time, and since the draft their attention has been on getting the draft picks signed and filling out the TC roster with URFA's ond street FA's. That work is just about done. If Raji negotiation rumors don't start by training camp, it could indicate an attitude from the Packers that Raji has more to prove.

If it seems like I am vacillating about Raji, that's because I am. I really think it will come down to whether or not Raji wants the top dollar available to him.

rbaloha1
05-31-2013, 08:47 AM

As non Raji apologists have mentioned enough times by film observation, Raji had a bad year getting off blocks -- 26 tackles for the year:cry:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers31-b9922642z1-209603361.html

If the picture is recent, Raji looks less like a pig. Clearly they read McGinn.:roll:

Patler
05-31-2013, 09:09 AM
As non Raji apologists have mentioned enough times by film observation, Raji had a bad year getting off blocks -- 26 tackles for the year:cry:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers31-b9922642z1-209603361.html

If the picture is recent, Raji looks less like a pig. Clearly they read McGinn.:roll:

In all honesty, even in his best years, he never came across to me as a real stud, play in and play out.
He's OK and a valuable player at the right price. He just seems to me like a guy that another team or two might be willing to throw a huge contract at.

pbmax
05-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Everyone recognizes his talent, which is penetration and quickness. But everyone also agrees with wist that he is not asked to do that very often. Its a weird fit quite often. Pass rush is different, but then the O line is ready.

What has been disappointing since 2010 is that he has not gotten better at anchoring. And that goes to Patler's point about a 2nd contract. There is uncertainty that is unwelcome when you have to project development for your FA, 5 year vet NT.

Cleft Crusty
05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Before his last Packer season the need for Wells was just as significant, and the Packers probably would have signed him at a lower, but decent, contract (if the stories are to be believed). I think they would like to sign Raji, too; but if he and his agent want to get the largest contract they can, I think there is a good chance it won't be from GB.

Clefty disputes your need claim. As Mr. Brandon949 suggests, the two positions don't compare well in need and availability, or better procurability, if that's even a word. But the rest of what you argue makes sense. One thing to re-consider, as raised by Mr. Wist43.2, is that the problems with consistency for Raji may be due to him being miscast as a nose tackle. Regardless of whether it is out of necessity, it's a bad fit.

Patler
05-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Everyone recognizes his talent, which is penetration and quickness. But everyone also agrees with wist that he is not asked to do that very often. Its a weird fit quite often. Pass rush is different, but then the O line is ready.

What has been disappointing since 2010 is that he has not gotten better at anchoring. And that goes to Patler's point about a 2nd contract. There is uncertainty that is unwelcome when you have to project development for your FA, 5 year vet NT.

Ya, I think it remains to be seen how strongly he wants to stay in GB, and how much he is simply being diplomatic and saying the right thing at this time. It further remains to be seen if the Packers are satisfied with the relatively poor fit of Raji in their scheme, and if they will make a competitive offer. We will see if and when offers cross the table

rbaloha1
05-31-2013, 10:43 AM
In all honesty, even in his best years, he never came across to me as a real stud, play in and play out.
He's OK and a valuable player at the right price. He just seems to me like a guy that another team or two might be willing to throw a huge contract at.

Yup a 4-3 team will show Raji the $.:eyes:

Cleft Crusty
05-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Yup a 4-3 team will show Raji the $.:eyes:

He'll get more than Cullen Jenkins, for sure.

Fritz
05-31-2013, 12:49 PM
Is it possible, given the difficulty of finding talent like Raji's, and given Capers' age, that they would ask Capers to retire so they could implement a scheme more suited to Raji's talents?

Brandon494
05-31-2013, 01:20 PM
To compare apples to apples, Wells was 30 during his final Packer season, and Raji will be 27 during his. But you missed my point.

I wasn't suggesting that Raji absolutely won't be signed, I'm just saying that you can't ignore the financial component. Before his last Packer season the need for Wells was just as significant, and the Packers probably would have signed him at a lower, but decent, contract (if the stories are to be believed). I think they would like to sign Raji, too; but if he and his agent want to get the largest contract they can, I think there is a good chance it won't be from GB.

Raji was a top ten pick, hes already getting paid nicely. Wells was a 7th rounder looking for his first big contract, totally different situation. Also I've heard nothing from Raji or his agent about wanting an outrageous contract.

Brandon494
05-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Iirc, Patler was the first to predict that GJ would be gone. Tough to bet against the OG.

He also said we would keep Wells over Finley. :-)

I was one of the few who thought Jennings would stay but after watching Randall Cobb and Jones break out last season to go along with GJ's durability issues the writing was pretty much on the wall. Unlike our WRs we don't have a lot of depth on the D-line and with Pickett aging it makes no sense to let Raji walk. Raji is getting paid 3.35M while the best NT in the league (Vince Wilfork) is getting paid 4.5M so I don't understand why anyone would think Raji is going to try and break the bank on his next contract.

RashanGary
05-31-2013, 01:31 PM

I was one of the few who thought Jennings would stay but after watching Randall Cobb and Jones break out last season to go along with GJ's durability issues the writing was pretty much on the wall. Unlike our WRs we don't have a lot of depth on the D-line and with Pickett aging it makes no sense to let Raji walk. Raji is getting paid 3.35M while the best NT in the league (Vince Wilfork) is getting paid 4.5M so I don't understand why anyone would think Raji is going to try and break the bank on his next contract.

Raji could be one of the best 3-techs in football IMO. He would be stupid to take 4.5M. If Raji leaves GB, I have absolutely no problem with it. None. GJ thought he was worth more than he was. Raji, I have a feeling he'll be worth as much as he thinks, maybe more.

Brandon494
05-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Raji isn't Geno Atkins, I don't know why you guys think some other team is going to break the bank for him.

Brandon494
05-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Here is a article on the top 50 DTs in the league, notice who isn't even on the list. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444340-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-50-defensive-tackles/page/39

RashanGary
05-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Raji isn't Geno Atkins, I don't know why you guys think some other team is going to break the bank for him.

We'll see. I do see what you're saying. I see this one differently, but I've been wrong my fair share of times too.

rbaloha1
05-31-2013, 02:33 PM

It is called hype and having a good agent.

Did anyone think Walden would attract interest and receive a decent payday?:-|

pbmax
05-31-2013, 03:05 PM
Is it possible, given the difficulty of finding talent like Raji's, and given Capers' age, that they would ask Capers to retire so they could implement a scheme more suited to Raji's talents?

There is an argument for this. The $64,000 question is does Matthews fit your new scheme?

That plus giving wist credit for predicting it. :D

Cleft Crusty
05-31-2013, 03:34 PM
It is called hype and having a good agent.

Did anyone think Walden would attract interest and receive a decent payday?:-|

For a guy rated one of the worst outside LBs in the NFL by Pro Football Focus, Walden still got a better contract than Charles Woodson. Maybe he just has a better agent!

Patler
05-31-2013, 03:40 PM

So, who is right 100% of the time? I'm certainly not. Never claimed to be. Just form opinions and offer them.

As for Wells vs. Finley, I think I said they should keep Wells over Finley, and that I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but I always qualified that by saying it was sounding more and more like Wells was anxious to get out of town. Seemed to have a chip on his shoulder because of the Packers unwillingness to commit to him throughout his career. I don't think he ever forgave them for handing his job to Spitz in the off-season a few years before. Can't say I blame him.

All in all, they might have been just as well off if they had worked a deal with Wells instead. Finley is costing a fortune for the two seasons, center was a weak spot last year for the Packers, they may or may not have the center spot solved for 2013, and who knows if Wells would or wouldn't have been injured if on a different field with a different team. No Finley, but possibly two or three years of solid play from Wells, I would make that trade. Especially if Quarless has indeed recovered. (My Wells vs. Finley consideration assumed that Quarless would be back last year.)

The Packers have drafted 4 DL the past two years, and there is always a Howard Green type body to bring in and take up space. If Raji leaves, it won't be for the pay of a 3-4 NT, the Packers will be happy to pay him that. If he leaves it will be for the pay of a 4-3 DT. That's the whole point.

But again, I'm not saying he will leave, although I thought so a years ago. We will have a lot better idea if they ever actual begin to talk. Personally, I don't much care one way or another.

Patler
05-31-2013, 03:52 PM

They wouldn't have to break the bank for him, just offer more than GB is willing to pay him.

Patler
05-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Here is a article on the top 50 DTs in the league, notice who isn't even on the list. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444340-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-50-defensive-tackles/page/39

If Raji isn't even in the top 50 DTs, the Packer should not even make an offer to keep him around. They should shake is hand, and open the door so he can leave. Why should they pay millions of dollars to a DT not even in the top 50? Unless he is willing to play for the vet's minimum salary.

woodbuck27
05-31-2013, 04:03 PM
This 3-4 defensive scheme is the problem.

Get rid of that.

Joemailman
05-31-2013, 04:17 PM

That's because they have him listed as the #11 3-4 defensive end. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444335-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-35-3-4-defensive-ends/page/26Worthy, Neal and Wilson are also in the top 50.

wist43
05-31-2013, 05:58 PM
If Raji isn't even in the top 50 DTs, the Packer should not even make an offer to keep him around. They should shake is hand, and open the door so he can leave. Why should they pay millions of dollars to a DT not even in the top 50? Unless he is willing to play for the vet's minimum salary.

The problem isn't Raji - it's Capers and TT.

I think Raji is among the top 50 DT's, but he's asked to play out of position, and Capers does exactly nothing to put him positions to make plays. That said, it wouldn't make sense to resign Raji unless they fire Capers.

If Capers is determined to play as little 3-anything as possible; and 4 down linemen is out of the question - then use draft picks and money on linebackers and safties.

Our ILB's are not very good, and we have no depth. The guy I wanted to plug in the middle was Sio Moore - for some reason, TT thinks we're okay in the front seven. My guess is he hasn't watched much of the Packers defensive film - b/c if he had?? he would have seen a unit get utterly destroyed, pushed backward, out hit, out flanked, out run, out everything...

We're gonna be a mess on defense as long as Capers is there. He is the Anti-Christ.

wist43
05-31-2013, 06:11 PM
That's because they have him listed as the #11 3-4 defensive end. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444335-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-35-3-4-defensive-ends/page/26Worthy, Neal and Wilson are also in the top 50.

Whoever put that list together is out of their mind.

According that ranking, Green Bay has 4 of the top 30 3-4 DE's in the entire league, lol... why is it we suck ass so bad in our front seven then?? If Matthews is a world-beater, and Hawk is above average, and we have the best collection of 3-4 DE's in the entire league - why do we suck?? lol...

Beyond that, if we have 4 of the top 30 3-4 DE's in the entire league - why did TT draft a 3-4 DE in the 1st round?? Do we now have 5 of the top 30 3-4 DE's in the league?? Too bad Capers only plays 2 at a time - we have so much super-awesome talent!!

Patler
05-31-2013, 06:13 PM
The problem isn't Raji - it's Capers and TT.

I think Raji is among the top 50 DT's, but he's asked to play out of position, and Capers does exactly nothing to put him positions to make plays. That said, it wouldn't make sense to resign Raji unless they fire Capers.

If Capers is determined to play as little 3-anything as possible; and 4 down linemen is out of the question - then use draft picks and money on linebackers and safties.

Our ILB's are not very good, and we have no depth. The guy I wanted to plug in the middle was Sio Moore - for some reason, TT thinks we're okay in the front seven. My guess is he hasn't watched much of the Packers defensive film - b/c if he had?? he would have seen a unit get utterly destroyed, pushed backward, out hit, out flanked, out run, out everything...

We're gonna be a mess on defense as long as Capers is there. He is the Anti-Christ.

I was replying sarcastically to a statement by Brandon that implied Raji was not among the top 50 tackles. It's not my position that he isn't in the top 50.

mraynrand
05-31-2013, 06:35 PM

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/345/f/e/damien_thorn_10_by_ravenlunatic666-d34oxkq.jpg

Bretsky
05-31-2013, 06:37 PM

Patler has a history if hearbreaking predictions that come true
He was also the first to predict a Packers loss against the Giants when the NYG came to Lambeau the first time and beat us in the playoffs and went on to win the SB

mraynrand
05-31-2013, 06:41 PM

IT's all for you Dom! It's ALL FOR YOU!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7N7TDBceHY

Joemailman
05-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Whoever put that list together is out of their mind.

According that ranking, Green Bay has 4 of the top 30 3-4 DE's in the entire league, lol... why is it we suck ass so bad in our front seven then?? If Matthews is a world-beater, and Hawk is above average, and we have the best collection of 3-4 DE's in the entire league - why do we suck?? lol...

Beyond that, if we have 4 of the top 30 3-4 DE's in the entire league - why did TT draft a 3-4 DE in the 1st round?? Do we now have 5 of the top 30 3-4 DE's in the league?? Too bad Capers only plays 2 at a time - we have so much super-awesome talent!!

The people at Bleacher Report are clowns. Plenty of people here who know more than they do. Doubt they even know that Neal and Worthy are primarily inside pass rushers. Datone Jones is a different story though. There is some talent here on the DL. Just don't know if Capers can make it all fit together.

Brandon494
05-31-2013, 09:07 PM
I was replying sarcastically to a statement by Brandon that implied Raji was not among the top 50 tackles. It's not my position that he isn't in the top 50.

Never said he wasn't a top 50 DT, just pointing out that you guys are over hyping him if you think he is going to get a huge pay day.

RashanGary
05-31-2013, 09:09 PM
He was also the first to predict a Packers loss against the Giants when the NYG came to Lambeau the first time and beat us in the playoffs and went on to win the SB

Um, I remember that game. Me and Wist were pretty friggin negative going into that game too. I do join forces with the dark side when I have to.

wist43
05-31-2013, 09:22 PM
The people at Bleacher Report are clowns. Plenty of people here who know more than they do. Doubt they even know that Neal and Worthy are primarily inside pass rushers. Datone Jones is a different story though. There is some talent here on the DL. Just don't know if Capers can make it all fit together.

That's been my gripe all along. I like a lot of the players, but they all have to be used in specific ways to make the best use of their talents. Capers is obviously failing miserably at that - I can't fathom why they gave him another year.

Patler
05-31-2013, 10:53 PM

On a positive note, I also predicted at mid-season that the WI Badgers Mens and Womens Hockey teams would both win NCAA National Championships in 2006. It hasn't all been negative!! :lol: :lol:

pbmax
06-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Capers does exactly nothing to put him positions to make plays. That said, it wouldn't make sense to resign Raji unless they fire Capers.

The Eagle Oakie was the base 3-4 last year. Jolly at 1 tech, Raji at 3, Wilson at 5 or 7 (probably 7) and then Matthews and Walden at OLB and DE depending a O strength.

That's 4-3. Under front I believe with Raji at 3 tech. This defense still struggled with defending the run, though not as bad as 2011. Next idea please.

wist43
06-01-2013, 01:19 PM
The Eagle Oakie was the base 3-4 last year. Jolly at 1 tech, Raji at 3, Wilson at 5 or 7 (probably 7) and then Matthews and Walden at OLB and DE depending a O strength.

That's 4-3. Under front I believe with Raji at 3 tech. This defense still struggled with defending the run, though not as bad as 2011. Next idea please.

Substitute Perry for Walden, D. Jones for Wilson, and Jolly for Jolly, lol...

Yeah, I could live with that a lot easier than taking one of the DL off the field and putting Brad Jones in there.

Packer4life commented about Neal standing up in 2-4... I don't think he can play standing up, but I'd be willing to give it an audition. If not Neal, then put some effort into finding an athletic tweener and scheme to take advantage of that.

That's why I had my eye on a guy like Cornelius Washington - he played like a slug as a Sr, but watch his Jr year, and that's the type of player we need roving and wrecking havoc in sub-packages.

I just use Washington as an example... he played so poorly as a Sr, I don't know that I would have drafted him - but I would have been on the look out for that type of player.

TT passed on so many guys that could have helped though, and he threw a bunch of money at Brad Jones... so that tells ya right there that he sees defensive players differently than just about anyone else on the planet.

I have absolutely no idea how TT evaluates front seven personnel, but it certainly isn't with a care in the world about how their strengths and weaknesses fit, or don't fit, a scheme. He's said more than once that he cares more about drafting "good football players", and how they fit a particular scheme is a secondary consideration.

That's how we've ended up coming to own the Island of Misfit Toys.

mraynrand
06-01-2013, 02:48 PM
That's how we've ended up coming to own the Island of Misfit Toys.

"Oh, I'll NEVER fit in!"
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l33/baran_i_kanu/blog/hermie.jpg

Maybe as a tweener on the Packers' front seven!

pbmax
06-01-2013, 04:58 PM

That should be Pickett at 1 tech.