PDA

View Full Version : ASK VIC: Here are my 'TOP FIVE TEAMS' ... May 29, 2013

woodbuck27
05-29-2013, 09:48 PM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/Here-are-my-top-five-teams/6631edae-1774-48f3-a703-9f9bfb92b481

Mike Neal is a Dom Capers experiment

Here are my top five teams

and much more in the latest installment of Ask Vic:

Posted 11 hours ago

Michael from Los Angeles, CA

Vic, who are your top five teams going into this season?

Tis the season for lists and rankings, right? OK, I’ll play along. 1.) 49ers, 2.) Falcons, 3.) Broncos, 4.) Packers, 5.) Texans. " Fr. LINK

Please click on LINK for the entire question and answer session with Vic Ketchum.

RashanGary
05-29-2013, 10:25 PM
His column is something I look forward to reading every week. We've been lucky to have some pretty damn good people covering the Packers over the last 12 years. I feel privileged to be able to read his columns. He's my favorite sports writer. It used to be Cliff Christl, now it's Vic.

His columns are to sports reading as Game of Thrones is to TV watching for me.

Speaking of Game of Thrones, I don't read anything online, I don't talk about it to anyone who reads the books. I want to experience it exactly as it is intended to be experienced. I don't know what's coming, I don't know the fate of any of the characters. Game of Thrones every week feels like a Packer game to me. I download it, get something to eat so I don't have to get up, then put it on. 34 episodes in (or whatever it is.) every time it ends, it feels like 20 minutes, not 50 and every time I can't believe it's already over. Amazing show.

Guiness
05-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Speaking of Game of Thrones, I don't read anything online, I don't talk about it to anyone who reads the books. I want to experience it exactly as it is intended to be experienced. I don't know what's coming, I don't know the fate of any of the characters. Game of Thrones every week feels like a Packer game to me. I download it, get something to eat so I don't have to get up, then put it on. 34 episodes in (or whatever it is.) every time it ends, it feels like 20 minutes, not 50 and every time I can't believe it's already over. Amazing show.

If you want to experience GoT the way it was intended to be experienced, read the books!

Seriously though, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm reading them, finishing up book 3 now. I don't know if I'm going to end up watching the show or not. I got season 1, and watched the first few episodes, but found I was waiting for stuff to happen to see how they handled it, rather than being shocked and surprised when it did. There are a lot of good books, and not a lot of good TV, so I'm considering stopping reading the books so I can watch the show!

woodbuck27
05-29-2013, 10:42 PM
His column is something I look forward to reading every week. We've been lucky to have some pretty damn good people covering the Packers over the last 12 years. I feel privileged to be able to read his columns. He's my favorite sports writer. It used to be Cliff Christl, now it's Vic.

Mae and I are big Game Of Throne...fans. We got acquainted with it through my sister who loves this series. It's excellent...and this guy blows us away:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Peter_Dinklage_2012_cropped.jpg/225px-Peter_Dinklage_2012_cropped.jpg

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister led the principal cast in seasons 2 and 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

We really dig:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl1PVoASGMjz7Ec6t9Oi9ObxbCpvvvw zD3EQlYPu5v-SKxFiGM

Willard
05-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Mae and I are big Game Of Throne...fans. We got acquainted with it through my sister who loves this series. It's excellent...and this guy blows us away:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Peter_Dinklage_2012_cropped.jpg/225px-Peter_Dinklage_2012_cropped.jpg

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister led the principal cast in seasons 2 and 3.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl1PVoASGMjz7Ec6t9Oi9ObxbCpvvvw zD3EQlYPu5v-SKxFiGM

We like both of these series too. One more nasty show -- Breaking Bad. We started watching this year on Sundance channel.

George Cumby
05-29-2013, 11:04 PM
If you want to experience GoT the way it was intended to be experienced, read the books!

Seriously though, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm reading them, finishing up book 3 now. I don't know if I'm going to end up watching the show or not. I got season 1, and watched the first few episodes, but found I was waiting for stuff to happen to see how they handled it, rather than being shocked and surprised when it did. There are a lot of good books, and not a lot of good TV, so I'm considering stopping reading the books so I can watch the show!

+1 on READ THE BOOKS. You will get so much more out of the show.

I just finished book 5. It's going to be a long wait for book 6. Shit is getting GOOD, lads.

Oh, and Ask Vic is seriously good stuff.

woodbuck27
05-29-2013, 11:08 PM
We like both of these series too. One more nasty show -- Breaking Bad. We started watching this year on Sundance channel.

Please ;-) don't drop a hint of what's going on in the Finale of DEXTER. Is that going in the Fall?

OK just checked on that:

http://www.themovienetwork.ca/series/dexter/?ext_id=Google_Dexter_Season_8_Dexter&gclid=CITk5d37vLcCFWJlMgod6XcAWQ

The Season Eight Premiere of DEXTER begins on June 8, 2013.

Whooop ! Whoop !! Get the bad guys DEXTER.

Mae and I are certainly intrigued to see this last series of Dexter. We usually get a rental of the whole series to really get into it. We can hardly wait. Dexter is 'the MAN'. Don't piss him off.

Thanks on the lead for the Series 'Breaking Bad'...we'll be looking for that soon. I read everything that Michael Connelly writes. Mae just picked me up 'The Black Box' by MC. Detective Harry Bosch is an amazing MC Hero Character.

I highly recommend Michael Connelly as 'a Detective Mystery' writer. He's very solid.

smuggler
05-31-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm surprised he has the Falcons so high and dismisses the Seahawks.

My list would probably be

1. SF
2. GB
3. DEN
4. SEA
5. ATL

ThunderDan
05-31-2013, 01:22 PM

No doubt. The books are excellent. I finshed book 5 last summer.

The TV show is now "off the rails." I am not sure how they get back to the book on certain plot details.

wist43
05-31-2013, 11:39 PM
I do get such a kick out of you guys :)

The Packers lose 2 out of their last 3 games - and just got completely mauled and run over in both of them; our offensive line was a disaster, and our defense wasn't even competitive - and we're a top 5 team?? That's a lot of faith.

1. 49ers
2. Broncos
3. Falcons
4. Patriots
5. Ravens

swede
05-31-2013, 11:42 PM
Oh ye of little...

Brandon494
05-31-2013, 11:54 PM

The Packers lose 2 out of their last 3 games - and just got completely mauled and run over in both of them; our offensive line was a disaster, and our defense wasn't even competitive - and we're a top 5 team?? That's a lot of faith.

1. 49ers
2. Broncos
3. Falcons
4. Patriots
5. Ravens

Lmao do you even watch football? Ravens #5? You do realize they lost Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Boldin amoung others. You act like we are some scrub team as if we don't have the best QB in the league, an improved running game, and a defense which is only goin to get better. Man I hope we win the SB this year so you can disappear for months again.

RashanGary
06-01-2013, 12:07 AM

1. 49ers
2. Broncos
3. Falcons
4. Patriots
5. Ravens

The Patriots defense is worse than ours. ST's too. Nice offense though. Mostly finesse, smaller OL, but nice.

wist43
06-01-2013, 02:03 AM
Lmao do you even watch football? Ravens #5? You do realize they lost Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Boldin amoung others. You act like we are some scrub team as if we don't have the best QB in the league, an improved running game, and a defense which is only goin to get better. Man I hope we win the SB this year so you can disappear for months again.

Yeah, I watch football... not as much as I used to, but yeah I watch a game here and there. The last game I watched was Baltimore winning the SB - and since Ed Reed and Ray Lewis were both severely on the downside, and Dumervil is major upgrade; they drafted Brandon Williams, Arthur Brown, and Matt Elam, all players I like... what's not to like?? They have a lot of talent.

As for the Packers - yeah, we have Rodgers. We have a punchers chance every year b/c of that. We have blue-chip calibur receivers... we're very tough in the passing game. We'll see about the running game. And defensively nobody can really say anything until we see what Capers does. I like a lot of the players - all depends on what Capers and MM do.

I like Jones, Raji, Pickett, Neal, Worthy, and Daniels; I like Matthews and Perry; and I'm always willing to give spitball shots to guys like Lattimore, et al. So if I like that many guys in our front seven - yet the results on the field are pathetic - Sun tzu says 'shoot the messenger' - no wait, maybe it was hold the General accountable?? One of those 2, can't remember which.

wist43
06-01-2013, 02:09 AM
The Patriots defense is worse than ours. ST's too. Nice offense though. Mostly finesse, smaller OL, but nice.

I hate the Patriots, and I hate their style of football more than ours... but I like Amendola better than Welker, and their running game is much better than ours. Wilfork is better than anyone we have up front... and there's no accounting for how much of a handicap Capers is.

3irty1
06-01-2013, 03:48 AM
1. Saints
2. Broncos
3. Seahawks
4. Texans
5. Patriots

People are high on the wrong team in the NFC South IMO. Atlanta was lucky to be what they were last year and was gutted in FA much like the Ravens but did a much worse job of recovering IMO. The Saints will have their coach back and a really underrated defense that quietly had crazy rookie production last year and now finished a very nice safety tandem.

Broncos had a cupcake schedule last year and pooped the bed in the playoffs but I think they've improved and also had a lot of rookie contributors that should only improve this year. I might have them too high though.

The Seahawks won a lot of games they shouldn't have last year and were aided by a ton of health and luck but they've got the best secondary in football and an offense that will be as good as their 2nd year QB. I think they've legitimately gotten better across the board.

The Texans lost a lot of important pieces due to injury last year. With Cushing in there that D will go to the next level. This is probably the most balanced all-around team in football when its healthy.

The Pats got better. Especially on defense although it'd be hard not to. If any of those guys sticks as a pass rusher they'll have enough defense to win when it counts.

Bretsky
06-01-2013, 07:22 AM
1. Saints
2. Broncos
3. Seahawks
4. Texans
5. Patriots

People are high on the wrong team in the NFC South IMO. Atlanta was lucky to be what they were last year and was gutted in FA much like the Ravens but did a much worse job of recovering IMO. The Saints will have their coach back and a really underrated defense that quietly had crazy rookie production last year and now finished a very nice safety tandem.

Broncos had a cupcake schedule last year and pooped the bed in the playoffs but I think they've improved and also had a lot of rookie contributors that should only improve this year. I might have them too high though.

The Seahawks won a lot of games they shouldn't have last year and were aided by a ton of health and luck but they've got the best secondary in football and an offense that will be as good as their 2nd year QB. I think they've legitimately gotten better across the board.

The Texans lost a lot of important pieces due to injury last year. With Cushing in there that D will go to the next level. This is probably the most balanced all-around team in football when its healthy.

The Pats got better. Especially on defense although it'd be hard not to. If any of those guys sticks as a pass rusher they'll have enough defense to win when it counts.

Dude...u stole my thunder on the Saints as I was going to pimp them but now I'm pimp #2

NFC
Saints
SF
Packers
Falcons
Seattle

AFC
Texans
Denver
NE
Baltimore

Those are the teams that can win the big show, and a Saints Texans SB would not surprise me at all. This is do or die year for Matt Schwab. If he rots ass in the playoffs again he might be gene. That team, between free agents and draft picks, is greatly improved on paper and the real deal

My gut tells me Denver's coming out of the AFC though....

packer4life
06-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Dude...u stole my thunder on the Saints as I was going to pimp them but now I'm pimp #2

NFC
Saints
SF
Packers
Falcons
Seattle

AFC
Texans
Denver
NE
Baltimore

Those are the teams that can win the big show, and a Saints Texans SB would not surprise me at all. This is do or die year for Matt Schwab. If he rots ass in the playoffs again he might be gene. That team, between free agents and draft picks, is greatly improved on paper and the real deal

My gut tells me Denver's coming out of the AFC though....

The Houston Texans are a one-and-done playoff team. Their true weakness is Matt "Noodle-arm" Schaub. Sure they have a running game and a defense, but they just can't keep up in any offensive shootout. This is especially a problem when you are going up against Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in the playoffs...they are gonna put up 30, can Schaub keep up?

wist43
06-01-2013, 09:04 PM
I agree on the Saints... they're certainly in the mix.

As for Atlanta, I've been skeptical of them for a long time, but I thought they showed some toughness last year - and that's been my knock on them, not very physical, not very tough. That said, Ryan is ascending, White, Jones and Gonzalez are as good as it gets... they're not a pushover.

Other teams that are about at the Packers level, or a little higher are the Giants and Seahawks. We just don't match up very well with either.

For my money, the NFC is pretty wide open... with a lot of good teams.

smuggler
06-02-2013, 02:51 AM
The only team in the AFC that could make it to the SB out of the NFC is the Broncos, IMO.

Smeefers
06-02-2013, 08:11 AM
I have not drank the cool aid on the seahawks. I like Russel Wilson and all, but I don't know how well he's going to do after teams have had a year to game plan for him. The same goes for Kapernick. This year we'll find out if the read option is here to stay. If it's not, Wilson is going to have a tough time sticking around. The dude's got NFL calibur skills, that's no doubt, but his height and his propensity to run can get him hurt and out of the game in a hurry. I also think that the Seahawk's CB's got away with murder last year and I'm not sure that the same is going to happen. I think what happened to us after we went 15-1 is what's going to happen to them. Teams are keying in on them, trying to figure out how to beat them. Once someone figures it out, they'll be the ones who have to adapt. The Packers had the talent to do that last year to a certain extent. Do the Seahawks?

The Broncos? Peyton Manning is good, no doubt. Dude's 37 this year. He's starting to get old. I'm not saying the guy's not going to throw for 4,500 yards this year, I'm just saying that when he does drop off, it's going to be like a rock off a cliff. As long as he's healthy and playing like he's 28, they have an excellent shot.

I actually like the Falcons. I think they're tough enough to bloody your nose but finesse enough to throw for 350 yards in a game. I see Matt Ryan only getting better because his awesome recievers are only getting better. For the first time in years I'm thinking the packers don't have the best WR core in the league because the Falcons are pushing for that distinction.

pbmax
06-02-2013, 09:32 AM
As for Atlanta, I've been skeptical of them for a long time, but I thought they showed some toughness last year - and that's been my knock on them, not very physical, not very tough. That said, Ryan is ascending, White, Jones and Gonzalez are as good as it gets... they're not a pushover.

How long has this been your knock on them?

Prior to Green (2 years), all they could so was be tough, run the ball and play D.

bobblehead
06-02-2013, 11:31 AM

Well JH, I read all the book long before the TV show and I still can't believe he ........Just kidding, wouldn't do that to you.

wist43
06-02-2013, 12:16 PM

Prior to Green (2 years), all they could so was be tough, run the ball and play D.

Who, and what are you talking about??

pbmax
06-02-2013, 12:55 PM
As for Atlanta, I've been skeptical of them for a long time, but I thought they showed some toughness last year - and that's been my knock on them, not very physical, not very tough.

I quoted and then asked a question about the first sentence that appears in this post. Its a comment by you, about the Falcons and claiming your critique of them for "years" has been that they are not very tough or physical.

And I am disagreeing, saying that before Jones [edit: said Green first] arrived (and even after) their calling card was pretty physical football on both sides of the ball, but especially on offense. Defense was a little up and down but their performance outside of 2011 was pretty respectable. The offense is changing and Turner is done, but that doesn't change the past few years.

Joemailman
06-02-2013, 01:01 PM
I quoted and then asked a question about the first sentence that appears in this post. Its a comment by you, about the Falcons and claiming your critique of them for "years" has been that they are not very tough or physical.

And I am disagreeing, saying that before Green arrived (and even after) their calling card was pretty physical football on both sides of the ball, but especially on offense. Defense was a little up and down but their performance outside of 2011 was pretty respectable. The offense is changing and Turner is done, but that doesn't change the past few years.

Who is Green?:cnf: Are you confusing Julio Jones with A.J. Green?

pbmax
06-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Who is Green?:cnf:

Meant Julio Jones and confused him with AJ Green.

smuggler
06-02-2013, 03:30 PM
The reason I don't like Atlanta that much is because if either of Roddy White or Julio Jones get injured, they go from a top-tier team to a borderline playoff team.

In Roddy's case, he might also fall off a cliff. Granted it's not a likely scenario.

wist43
06-02-2013, 03:45 PM

And I am disagreeing, saying that before Jones [edit: said Green first] arrived (and even after) their calling card was pretty physical football on both sides of the ball, but especially on offense. Defense was a little up and down but their performance outside of 2011 was pretty respectable. The offense is changing and Turner is done, but that doesn't change the past few years.

I've never viewed them as physcial or tough - that percerption might come from the fact that they had an effective running game, but they weren't physical in doing so. They ran/run a zone blocking scheme, and cut block everybody - they had a smallish OL, that simply clipped the living hell out of everyone. Ala Mark Schlereth, dirty, rotten, stinking, cheating, clipping, techniques.

I don't consider that tough - I consider that dirty... even if it's legal.

And on defense, they were small and pedestrian everywhere - pretty much still are, but they've improved enough to at least not be a huge liability. Their defense is certainly much better than ours.

Brandon494
06-02-2013, 03:57 PM
I like Russel Wilson and all, but I don't know how well he's going to do after teams have had a year to game plan for him.

Yea not like a rookie QB is going to get better or anything. Russel Wilson is a star in the making whos only weakness is being short.

3irty1
06-02-2013, 04:12 PM
I've never viewed them as physcial or tough - that percerption might come from the fact that they had an effective running game, but they weren't physical in doing so. They ran/run a zone blocking scheme, and cut block everybody - they had a smallish OL, that simply clipped the living hell out of everyone. Ala Mark Schlereth, dirty, rotten, stinking, cheating, clipping, techniques.

I don't consider that tough - I consider that dirty... even if it's legal.

And on defense, they were small and pedestrian everywhere - pretty much still are, but they've improved enough to at least not be a huge liability. Their defense is certainly much better than ours.

The defensive MVP for the Falcons is whoever wrote their schedule. They'll be worse this year both because they got worse, and because the law of averages will eventually catch up with them. That level of health and luck is for a prolonged period of time is a right strictly reserved for the Bears. Nobody stays on top of the NFC South for long. Falcons aren't a playoff team in 2013 imo and I certainly wouldn't trade defenses with them.

wist43
06-02-2013, 05:52 PM
The defensive MVP for the Falcons is whoever wrote their schedule. They'll be worse this year both because they got worse, and because the law of averages will eventually catch up with them. That level of health and luck is for a prolonged period of time is a right strictly reserved for the Bears. Nobody stays on top of the NFC South for long. Falcons aren't a playoff team in 2013 imo and I certainly wouldn't trade defenses with them.

I don't think I'd swap defensive personnel with them either - but their defense is better than ours simply b/c of Capers.

Fritz
06-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Capers is responsible for the offense's lack of a running game. And the tornado in Oklahoma.

Look, I'm not a huge Capers fan, either. But you seem to demonize the guy. And we've already demonized Slocum, dammit. Can't you blame the bad defense on him?

wist43
06-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Capers is responsible for the offense's lack of a running game. And the tornado in Oklahoma.

Look, I'm not a huge Capers fan, either. But you seem to demonize the guy. And we've already demonized Slocum, dammit. Can't you blame the bad defense on him?

I merely pointed out the obvious, Ayn is the one who actually posted photographic proof of the demon spawn's existence. This is an old photo of course, but you can tell it's Dom - and I think I can see some spray paint on his hair even at that age.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews42/damien%20omen%202%20blu-ray/large/large%20omen%202%20blu-ray11.jpg

He's probably guarded closely during the games, but if you see him wandering about, don't hesitate to act - having the seven holy daggers would help though... I saw a documentary once, this woman flung herself off a roof - it was really cool - but I digress.

Just remember, you must act quickly upon seeing the beast... any hesitation?? and you'll likely be impaled upon a 1st down marker ;)

Fritz
06-03-2013, 11:26 AM
On a serious note - though I wonder if you are half-serious?! - I think Capers is an excellent teacher, which is why his first-year units do so well. But I wonder is the scheme, with the emphasis on assignments and NOT just trying to make a play, is too against-the-grain of too many football players and so is hard to draft for, and I wonder if Capers' weakness is his game-day adjusting.

Then again, you have to wonder why his defenses seem to play so well in their first year. It's an interesting question.

pbmax
06-03-2013, 01:27 PM
On a serious note - though I wonder if you are half-serious?! - I think Capers is an excellent teacher, which is why his first-year units do so well. But I wonder is the scheme, with the emphasis on assignments and NOT just trying to make a play, is too against-the-grain of too many football players and so is hard to draft for, and I wonder if Capers' weakness is his game-day adjusting.

Then again, you have to wonder why his defenses seem to play so well in their first year. It's an interesting question.

Just trying to make a play depends on who is trying to make a play and their success rate. Atari Bigby had a lot of chances to make a play and simply let it hit the ground. The downside is how out of shape do you leave the defense when you short circuit your assignment to jump to another? The better the player, the better their chance of success on a gamble.

Its not the first year success with the Packers. It was year two they hit the ground running and dominated.

Fritz
06-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Waldo did some statistical juju and showed that wherever Capers went, his first year showed great improvement in defenses. His second year was good, but after that, well, Wist may actually have a point. Can't they retain Capers as the teacher (think Jethro Tull) and let someone actually be the defensive coordinator?

mraynrand
06-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Jethro Tull was a teacher?

Smeefers
06-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Yea not like a rookie QB is going to get better or anything. Russel Wilson is a star in the making whos only weakness is being short.

I like Russel Wilson and all, but I don't know how well he's going to do after teams have had a year to game plan for him. The same goes for Kapernick. This year we'll find out if the read option is here to stay. If it's not, Wilson is going to have a tough time sticking around. The dude's got NFL calibur skills, that's no doubt, but his height and his propensity to run can get him hurt and out of the game in a hurry. I also think that the Seahawk's CB's got away with murder last year and I'm not sure that the same is going to happen. I think what happened to us after we went 15-1 is what's going to happen to them. Teams are keying in on them, trying to figure out how to beat them. Once someone figures it out, they'll be the ones who have to adapt. The Packers had the talent to do that last year to a certain extent. Do the Seahawks?

The Broncos? Peyton Manning is good, no doubt. Dude's 37 this year. He's starting to get old. I'm not saying the guy's not going to throw for 4,500 yards this year, I'm just saying that when he does drop off, it's going to be like a rock off a cliff. As long as he's healthy and playing like he's 28, they have an excellent shot.

I actually like the Falcons. I think they're tough enough to bloody your nose but finesse enough to throw for 350 yards in a game. I see Matt Ryan only getting better because his awesome recievers are only getting better. For the first time in years I'm thinking the packers don't have the best WR core in the league because the Falcons are pushing for that distinction.

See bolded text.