PDA

View Full Version : Packers Curious 'Love Affair' with Rookie Prospect Nate Palmer

woodbuck27
05-30-2013, 12:36 AM
http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2013/05/29/packers-curious-love-affair-with-nate-palmer/

Packers Curious Love Affair with Nate Palmer

Fr.... ALLGreenBayPackers.com ... May 29, 2013

"Ted Thompson didn’t have to do it. Nate Palmer was not going to be drafted. You would be hard pressed to find him breaking the top 400 in anyone’s big board or player rankings.

Yet, when the Packers’ turn came up in the sixth round, they made Palmer the 193rd player drafted. This despite the fact they were holding three seventh round picks, and could have surely taken him with their last pick at # 232..." Fr. LINK

Please click on the LINK above for the rest of this story:

GO PACK GO !

RashanGary
05-30-2013, 01:08 AM
I'll admit, he's intriguing as hell. Just reading these stories and looking at his athletic marks. Size, burst (10-yard dash), power (jumps), agility (3-cone). . Then you read about how hard of a worker he is, all that. He's probably not an ideal 4-3 LB He's kind of got that DL/LB hybrid feel to him, probably not quite as good in space as you want your 4-3 players to be. But he has some impressive athletic ability (the kind pass rushers have.) Illinois was probably starting a smaller space player at linebacker and wanted to keep Palmer cuz he's a prototype ST's player/3rd down pass rusher. They didn't want to let him go, I know I read that. That small school he went to absolutely loved him, said they'd never get another transfer like him. I'm curious.

A nice interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ziQZBlRUc

http://cdn.wrn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Palmer_nate.jpg

Old School
05-30-2013, 01:52 AM
Could he be another TT find???? He is another candidate to wear his college number, #4, along with Charles Johnson. C'mon Packers, give that number away!!!

hoosier
05-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Ted Thompson didn’t have to do it. Nate Palmer was not going to be drafted. You would be hard pressed to find him breaking the top 400 in anyone’s big board or player rankings.

Gee, how do these internt journalists get such intimate access to NFL GMs draft boards?

pbmax
05-30-2013, 08:31 AM
I just hope this LB performs better than the last LB chosen by a coach (Pellini and Marshall).

Cleft Crusty
05-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Gee, how do these internt journalists get such intimate access to NFL GMs draft boards?

I get inside information and evaluation from former high school football players who are now overweight part-time teachers.

denverYooper
05-30-2013, 09:12 AM
I get inside information and evaluation from former high school football players who are now overweight part-time teachers.

How is Barnchuck anyway?

woodbuck27
05-30-2013, 09:42 AM

Point well delivered. :grin:

PACKERS !

Guiness
05-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Point well delivered. :grin:

PACKERS !

Indeed. Remember the journalists screaming at the waste of a 2nd round pick on Nick Collins, he wasn't in the top 100 on anyone's board, he could've been had a round later...Then a couple of GMs said it was a good pick at the spot, before he even took the field.

MadScientist
05-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Could he be another TT find????
From the article, it sounds like he is a Kevin Green find.

If he pans out, people will be wondering how he lasted until the 6th round. If he doesn't, it's just another meh late round pick, and people will say TT should have grabbed someone else that did pan out but was taken later or not at all.

Of course it could just be that the Illinois State coach has some pictures of TT, given all the ISU players that were drafted or signed by the Packers.

Old School
05-30-2013, 11:41 AM
The Packers weren't the only ones who picked thru the ISU roster. He wasn't specific, but Thurman said he had friends signed by Huston and Jacksonville. I drew the conclusion he might have been inferring to teammates. I don't follow college ball closely until draft time, but it seems to me a lot of good prospects toiled in anonymity at ISU.

rbaloha1
05-30-2013, 11:48 AM
This prospect and the Eastern Michigan fa could mean aloha to fake tough guy and Moses.

run pMc
05-30-2013, 12:05 PM
His measurables compare pretty well, and he was recruited to a Big-10 school, so athletically he's no slouch. I haven't seen any youtube video so don't know if he's actually any good, but he had decent stats in what I'd think journalists consider a lower-echelon conference. He's not a character risk, and I'd expect he will backup Perry. They were light on OLB's with Walden & Zombo gone, so it wasn't a surprise they drafted one.

I don't really have an issue with him being taken in R6 -- there's always a "Who??!?!?" factor with some of these guys, and TT is good for that. He sounds better than Ricky Elmore -- at least he's played some of that DE/LB hybrid role, and Greene will coach the hell out of him.

I'm not on the bandwagon yet, but I'll be rooting for him.

run pMc
05-30-2013, 12:09 PM
given all the ISU players that were drafted or signed by the Packers.

I don't follow college ball closely until draft time, but it seems to me a lot of good prospects toiled in anonymity at ISU.

I don't follow college ball either and don't know a thing about ISU, but I thought it a strange coincidence that so many ISU guys were getting attention by GB...I figured the travel budget got slashed and that was as far as they could go scouting. Hopefully that's not the case and the ISU roster actually had a lot of talent.

Upnorth
05-30-2013, 12:29 PM
If he was a WR then i would believe the hype based of the packers recent track record. Seeing how we have done drafting the front 7 on the d side of the ball outside of the first round you can color me sceptical.

bobblehead
05-30-2013, 03:56 PM

I did a fantasy draft last year where I picked Mike Trout. Another guy said I was crazy to draft a guy starting in the minors that high. The guy picking after me swore. I guess we never really know where another guys draft board is.

woodbuck27
05-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Indeed. Remember the journalists screaming at the waste of a 2nd round pick on Nick Collins, he wasn't in the top 100 on anyone's board, he could've been had a round later...Then a couple of GMs said it was a good pick at the spot, before he even took the field.

That pick likely surprized 90% of Packer Nation following the proceedings that afternoon.

PACKERS !

Carolina_Packer
05-30-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm intrigued to see how Sam Barrington does as well. Check this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiB5MdtvgQ0) out. Looks like he's got a nose for the ball.

Here's another link from Bleacher Report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1621196-sam-barrington-to-packers-how-does-lb-fit-with-green-bay

I think this guy could stick.

RashanGary
05-31-2013, 12:13 AM
I'm intrigued to see how Sam Barrington does as well. Check this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiB5MdtvgQ0) out. Looks like he's got a nose for the ball.

Here's another link from Bleacher Report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1621196-sam-barrington-to-packers-how-does-lb-fit-with-green-bay

Wow, that second hit on his youtube video, the one where he rocked the QB, I felt ashamed because a had a reflex sinister laugh. I felt evil for liking it. Then he had all kinds of nasty plays. He certainly seems like a hostile fellow on the field. He looks like a leader of men too. One of those clips, it looks like his guys woulda went to war with him. He seems to have a contagious passion for high stakes, physical sport.

Hopefully something bad happened on the 40, cuz he plays with the right level of anger.

Pugger
05-31-2013, 06:29 AM
You have to tip your hat to TT and his scouts for finding these players that other GMs seem to pass over. If this Barrington kid plays at times like he showed in that highlight video we'll have a lot of fun watching our D this season.

swede
05-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Note to Sam Barrington:

During Family Night hit James Starks so hard that people sitting right under the JumboTron can hear the collision. You will get a three year ticket and annual opportunities to declare imminent GOAT status. #Abdul Hodge

Smidgeon
05-31-2013, 09:51 AM
You have to tip your hat to TT and his scouts for finding these players that other GMs seem to pass over. If this Barrington kid plays at times like he showed in that highlight video we'll have a lot of fun watching our D this season.

I think the Cowboys had him ranked in the fifth.

Cleft Crusty
05-31-2013, 10:21 AM
Wow, that second hit on his youtube video, the one where he rocked the QB, I felt ashamed because a had a reflex sinister laugh. I felt evil for liking it. Then he had all kinds of nasty plays. He certainly seems like a hostile fellow on the field.

Half of those hits are illegal in today's more sensitive NFL. Also, he is a man among boys in those clips; the opposition will be moving a lot faster, will be a lot bigger at the next level. This kid will be lucky to make the PS.

rbaloha1
05-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Maybe Barrington is the next Bishop.

Remember Bishop was a seventh round pick.

Cheesehead Craig
05-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Half of those hits are illegal in today's more sensitive NFL. Also, he is a man among boys in those clips; the opposition will be moving a lot faster, will be a lot bigger at the next level. This kid will be lucky to make the PS.

Well, in some of those clips he's playing against WV, Miami and FSU. So it's not like he's beating up on crampuffs. So I'm not sold on the level of competition argument. We'll see what happens.

smuggler
05-31-2013, 11:59 AM
NaPalm has a lot of measurables that people covet. Even though he went to Nowheresville College, those are the kinds of players that people draft in the 7th round, when you've got nothing to lose. There's no guarantee that Palmer is there for the Packers when they picked first in the 7th round. Of all the guys left on the draft board, he's who they wanted most.

run pMc
05-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Barrington will see the field on special teams. Assume he will backup Hawk. (?)

run pMc
05-31-2013, 12:12 PM
According to McGinn, there were some scouts who didn't feel Palmer was not a reach in R6. I think it's a worthwhile gamble.

Bishop was drafted by the Packers in the sixth round out of Cal in the 2007 NFL Draft.

QBME
05-31-2013, 12:19 PM
According to McGinn, there were some scouts who didn't feel Palmer was a reach in R6. I think it's a worthwhile gamble.

Bishop was drafted by the Packers in the sixth round out of Cal in the 2007 NFL Draft.

FIFY

Cleft Crusty
05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Well, in some of those clips he's playing against WV, Miami and FSU. So it's not like he's beating up on crampuffs. So I'm not sold on the level of competition argument. We'll see what happens.

12,52,and 9th ranked in total offense. Point taken, some teams weren't cram puffs, but hey did put up some of those numbers against IS. anyway, you're right, it's wait and see time, unfortunately it's not also "let's be realistic" time here on Packerrats, but when has it ever been that?

Fritz
05-31-2013, 12:35 PM
12,52,and 9th ranked in total offense. Point taken, some teams weren't cram puffs, but hey did put up some of those numbers against IS. anyway, you're right, it's wait and see time, unfortunately it's not also "let's be realistic" time here on Packerrats, but when has it ever been that?

Cram puffs? I would be mighty leery of playing teams described as such.

Cleft Crusty
05-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Cram puffs? I would be mighty leery of playing teams described as such.

Talk to Mr. Craig. I was just playing along. I really have no idea what they might be, but it sounds like gluttony of some sort with an artificial cheese-derived snack.

Carolina_Packer
05-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Talk to Mr. Craig. I was just playing along. I really have no idea what they might be, but it sounds like gluttony of some sort with an artificial cheese-derived snack.

Now you're talkin!

Cheesehead Craig
05-31-2013, 02:07 PM
Leggo my Crampuffs!

woodbuck27
05-31-2013, 02:52 PM

I'm actually just checking out Sam Barrington (again) after seeing that ** Dallas Cowboys (supposed) Draft Board and him on that board in Rd. 5. Somehow when I was doing my MOCK I missed this guy. He looks strong and seems to have a nose for the ball.

** http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/5/30/4378574/dallas-cowboys-2013-draft-board-leaked-almost-complete-7-round-board

Packers Depth chart:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/assessing-the-packers-depth-chart-4u9q68s-205909211.html

OLB - Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Dezman Moses, Nate Palmer, Andy Mulumba, Micah Johnson.

ILB - Desmond Bishop, A.J. Hawk, Brad Jones, Rob Francois, Jamari Lattimore, Terrell Manning, Sam Barrington.

He's going to have to make like SUPERMAN and leap over (tall) big things.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
05-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Note to Sam Barrington:

During Family Night hit James Starks so hard that people sitting right under the JumboTron can hear the collision. You will get a three year ticket and annual opportunities to declare imminent GOAT status. #Abdul Hodge

Abdul Hodge... didn't he disappoint us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Hodge

There's an solid example of a prospects college game not translating to the NFL but he suffered injuries as a factor too.

That's a huge difference to have too make >>> going from College ball too >>> the BIG TIME NFL.

Here's a look at the picks (again) this year>>> Where do any of these fellas fit in terms of the 53-man roster?

Rd. No. Pick

1 26 Datone Jones ( DE ... See Below Please )

2 61 Eddie Lacy ( NO. 1 RB $$$ ... See Below Please )

4 109 David Bakhtiari ( OT Backup ... See Below Please )
4 122 J.C. Tretter ( OT - INJURY ... See below Please )

OT - Bryan Bulaga, Marshall Newhouse, Don Barclay, David Bakhtieri, J.C. Tretter, Andrew Datko, Derek Sherrod.4 125 Johnathan Franklin (RB $$$)

$$$ RB - Eddie Lacy, DuJuan Harris, Johnathan Franklin, Alex Green, James Starks, Angelo Pease.

5 159 Micah Hyde (CB) ... CB - Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Casey Hayward, Davon House, Jarrett Bush, Micah Hyde, James Nixon, Loyce Means.

5 167 Josh Boyd ( DE ... See Below Please )

DE - B.J. Raji, Datone Jones, C.J. Wilson, Mike Neal (being tried at OLB), Mike Daniels, Josh Boyd, Johnny Jolly.

6 193 Nate Palmer ( OLB - Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Dezman Moses, Nate Palmer, Andy Mulumba, Micah Johnson )

7 216 Charles Johnson (WR and 4.4/40)

7 224 Kevin Dorsey (WR and 4.47/40) ... Myles White UFA - (WR 4.42/40) ***

WR - Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb, Jeremy Ross, Jarrett Boykin, Charles Johnson, Kevin Dorsey, Myles White, % Sedderik Cunningham

7 232 Sam Barrington (ILB ... Desmond Bishop, A.J. Hawk, Brad Jones, Rob Francois, Jamari Lattimore, Terrell Manning, Sam Barrington )

*** WR ... The Packers will need to develop their NO. 4 and 5 WR's. Jarrett Boykin won a roster spot last year and Jeremy Ross offers ability in the return game. Two, maybe? three spots will be available.

% UFA WR/KR ... Sedderik Cunningham played in 44 games at Furman, a Football Championship Subdivision team, from 2008-11. He was neither drafted nor signed at any point last season and will be getting his first professional experience with the Green Bay Packers.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/04/16/packers-sign-rookie-wr-sederrik-cunningham-fcs-furman/#ixzz2Uu8huR3e:

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/story/Packers-sign-undrafted-WR-Cunningham?blockID=892805

GO PACKERS !

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Just because some no name writer states that Palmer wouldn't have been drafted doesn't mean Palmer wouldn't have been drafted.

swede
05-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Just because some no name writer states that Palmer wouldn't have been drafted doesn't mean Palmer wouldn't have been drafted.

You are correct, of course, but what matter if he would not have been drafted?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-saw-something-in-illinois-states-nate-palmer-9a9onji-205337481.html

If the story of Kevin Greene stopping in to see the Illinois State Coach is true, they found a guy with all the elements they like that they felt was easily worth a pick in the 6th. It really doesn't matter if he was on no one else's radar. Why risk losing him?

And if it makes KG happy, I am all for keeping KG happy.

RashanGary
06-01-2013, 12:12 AM
There are too many good scouts and good personnel men to do anything but take the guy you like best. If you drafted Tom Brady in the first round, James Harrison in the 2nd and Donald Driver in the 3rd, nobody is going to complain. If you let Tom Brady go because you think nobody else knows how good he is, you're not going to be a GM for very long.

Nobody is going to win playing manipulation games in the draft. Being clever is for people who have something to prove, who want to feel special at the end of the day because they tricked someone. Being good just happens when a guy has talent, work ethic and an opportunity.

People here arguing with Ted are arrogant and ignorant. Not one or the other. Both. And the arrogance isn't the kind based in reality, it's the foolish kind, the kind people have when they don't know how incapable they really are.

HarveyWallbangers
06-01-2013, 01:11 AM
You are correct, of course, but what matter if he would not have been drafted?

Well, if you are 100% absolutely sure he wouldn't get drafted, then you take him with your last pick in the 7th round. Of course, despite what this article states, nobody knows if he would have been drafted or not. Thus, you go off your own board of where he ranks, and you draft him accordingly.

Carolina_Packer
06-01-2013, 09:13 AM
There are too many good scouts and good personnel men to do anything but take the guy you like best. If you drafted Tom Brady in the first round, James Harrison in the 2nd and Donald Driver in the 3rd, nobody is going to complain. If you let Tom Brady go because you think nobody else knows how good he is, you're not going to be a GM for very long.

Nobody is going to win playing manipulation games in the draft. Being clever is for people who have something to prove, who want to feel special at the end of the day because they tricked someone. Being good just happens when a guy has talent, work ethic and an opportunity.

People here arguing with Ted are arrogant and ignorant. Not one or the other. Both. And the arrogance isn't the kind based in reality, it's the foolish kind, the kind people have when they don't know how incapable they really are.

Well said. One of the easiest things to do in life is be a second guesser. I salute all those people who work behind the scenes because they are the first guessers, and they have the most pressure to get it right and help find the Packers the talent they need.

rbaloha1
06-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Big TT supporter but TT does make mistakes.

RashanGary
06-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Big TT supporter but TT does make mistakes.

Do you have any friends?

rbaloha1
06-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Do you have any friends?

Do you?

Guiness
06-01-2013, 07:21 PM
I have to shake my head at the original title. 'love affair'? They spent a 6th rounder on the guy. Did they maybe take a bit of a flier? Ya, probably, likely could've had him in the 7th. 'Curious love affair' would've been an Oakland-like reach taking a guy ranked in the late rounds in the second, a la Mike Mitchell.

I wanted to say Janikowski, but couldn't imagine this guy going in the first no matter what!

woodbuck27
06-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Ted Thompson makes moves that in all fairness sometimes puzzle me in terms of my more that casual interest as a Packer fan. I'm sometimes more puzzled than upset with TTT as I'm 'only' a fan.

I seldom as a fan sit here without some concentrated focus on at least having a feel for the better prospects. Then the values I see at a particular point in the draft. I mean I'm locked on. I'm at the puter very actively observing it all. That way moreso than what's being covered on the tube which misses some of it. That is slow in terms of the immediate reaction I get from my puter.

The tube isn't as partial to things focused on The Packers too. The TV crew is looking at the whole thing and obviously doesn't give me what I need 'PACKER'.

GO PACK GO !

gbgary
06-02-2013, 10:38 PM
barrington is a head-hunting son of a gun. he did a chuck cecil and knocked himself out on one of those plays. lol

hoosier
06-03-2013, 09:09 AM
I have to shake my head at the original title. 'love affair'? They spent a 6th rounder on the guy. Did they maybe take a bit of a flier? Ya, probably, likely could've had him in the 7th. 'Curious love affair' would've been an Oakland-like reach taking a guy ranked in the late rounds in the second, a la Mike Mitchell.

I wanted to say Janikowski, but couldn't imagine this guy going in the first no matter what!

The Mitchell example is a good one: he wasn't listed on any of the draft reports, but after Oakland took him there were several reports indicating that other teams had said they were looking at him in the second or third round. Those reports might or might not be true, and the y might or might not contain misinformation, we'll never know. But that is exactly the point: we have no way of knowing what is a "reach" and what isn't, and more often than not the apparent reaches turn out to have some rhyme and reason.