PDA

View Full Version : Will this growing OT be lost in the OL shuffle?

woodbuck27
05-30-2013, 10:44 AM
http://packerpedia.com/barclay.html

Comment woodbuck27:

It's an older article from the end of TC entering the 2012 season; but a decent one RE: DT Don Barkley. Reading it made me think about this you man's role on the Packers OL. Transitioning from the 2012 season where he stepped up late... to this upcoming 2013 season. This fella can give a lot.

Versatility Helps Barclay Beat Odds

by Mike Conklin

E-mail: mikeconklin@packerpedia.com ... September 1, 2012

GO PACK GO !

Pugger
05-30-2013, 12:37 PM
The only way Barclay - or any of the other kids vying for the RT job - will get lost in the shuffle is if he doesn't perform. It appears from here all of these players are gonna get a shot at that job.

denverYooper
05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
I would think Barclay has value as a G/T swingman, at least.

pbmax
05-30-2013, 03:56 PM
He has more value now. He is far more likely to unseat Newhouse than thought to be returning RT Bulaga.

Pugger
05-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Newhouse is a better pass blocker than Barclay (and that's not saying much) but Barclay is a very good run blocker.

woodbuck27
05-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Newhouse is a better pass blocker than Barclay (and that's not saying much) but Barclay is a very good run blocker.

Yes It does look like he's in with a solid effort, which is his rep. Reading the article I wonder if Barkley has some potential as a Center?

RashanGary
05-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Yes It does look like he's in with a solid effort, which is his rep. Reading the article I wonder if Barkley has some potential as a Center?

Gosh, I don't know. I thought he showed some pretty friggin good potential as a tackle. For being a rookie starter, he performed similarly to Bulaga as a rookie. I have high hopes for Barclay. Hopefully he shows the start of a nice growth curve this preseason/season.

Guiness
05-30-2013, 11:00 PM
I wonder what his 'ceiling' is?

He was a UDFA tackle. Can a guy at a major program with all the tools really slip between the cracks? The thinking is that there are only so many good big men -- I wonder if he will be a guy who sticks for a couple of years because he backs up a few positions, but the team is always looking for an upgrade, or if he can be a long term starter.

RashanGary
05-31-2013, 12:19 AM
I wonder what his 'ceiling' is?

He was a UDFA tackle. Can a guy at a major program with all the tools really slip between the cracks? The thinking is that there are only so many good big men -- I wonder if he will be a guy who sticks for a couple of years because he backs up a few positions, but the team is always looking for an upgrade, or if he can be a long term starter.

It's weird, cuz his height/weight/vertical/broad numbers show him to be a really bad-ass athlete for the position. Then the scout who talked about Barclay said he was impressed that he jsut seemed to "get it" with angles and leverage and all that. It sounded like he was sort of a natural blocker according to that guy. Real strong guy, good athlete, "gets it". I better go check out the Brad Jones thread. I'm feeling way too optimistic about way too many things. I need a good bring-me-down to take me back to reality.

Fritz
05-31-2013, 06:02 AM
It's weird, cuz his height/weight/vertical/broad numbers show him to be a really bad-ass athlete for the position. Then the scout who talked about Barclay said he was impressed that he jsut seemed to "get it" with angles and leverage and all that. It sounded like he was sort of a natural blocker according to that guy. Real strong guy, good athlete, "gets it". I better go check out the Brad Jones thread. I'm feeling way too optimistic about way too many things. I need a good bring-me-down to take me back to reality.

Your mother never loved you.

There. Happy to help!

Joemailman
05-31-2013, 06:23 AM
Maybe Barclay is Tauscher II. Doesn't really look the part, but knows how to use angles and leverage to get the job done.

rbaloha1
05-31-2013, 11:26 AM

This is legit analysis.

Guiness
05-31-2013, 02:51 PM

He does seem to have most of the numbers you want. Although I haven't seen the vaunted 'hand measurement' that KY talks about! The article did say "His lack of strength and power are limitations at the moment" which I think is the most fixable of faults, especially when you have the benefit of working under the guidance of professional strength coaches - as long as your name is not Junius Coston.

RashanGary
05-31-2013, 03:19 PM
He does seem to have most of the numbers you want. Although I haven't seen the vaunted 'hand measurement' that KY talks about! The article did say "His lack of strength and power are limitations at the moment" which I think is the most fixable of faults, especially when you have the benefit of working under the guidance of professional strength coaches - as long as your name is not Junius Coston.

His hands make his wiener look small. That's code for, "he has big hands." 10-7/8.