PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys draft board leaked... Had Datone Jones in round...

packers11
05-30-2013, 06:00 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/30/cowboys-accidentally-reveal-their-draft-board-again/

It’s also worth mentioning the players chosen far higher than the Cowboys thought they should have been. Dallas had a fourth-round grade on quarterback E.J. Manuel, whom the Bills selected in the first round, as well as third-round grades on first-round picks Kyle Long, Desmond Trufant and Datone Jones.

Joemailman
05-30-2013, 06:03 PM
That makes me feel a lot better about Datone.

woodbuck27
05-30-2013, 06:17 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/30/cowboys-accidentally-reveal-their-draft-board-again/

It’s also worth mentioning the players chosen far higher than the Cowboys thought they should have been. Dallas had a fourth-round grade on quarterback E.J. Manuel, whom the Bills selected in the first round, as well as third-round grades on first-round picks Kyle Long, Desmond Trufant and Datone Jones.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/5/30/4378574/dallas-cowboys-2013-draft-board-leaked-almost-complete-7-round-board

Although that revelation is somewhat amazing to me. There's a Packer Rookie Prospect up on their board in Round 5.

The fella I'm going to watch closely this off season and in TC >>> is Packers DT Josh Boyd:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/DE-Josh-Boyd-is-a-hard-nosed-physical-player/10ba92d1-4bec-476f-9339-5bcea9542377

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/205015171.html

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/josh-boyd/abc7d6fe-37b6-4601-8763-9475bb5a8942/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1620948-josh-boyd-to-packers-how-does-defensive-lineman-fit-with-green-bay

GO Josh Boyd.

LP
05-30-2013, 06:41 PM
That Jerrah really knows his football. No wonder they're a perennial playoff team.

HarveyWallbangers
05-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Isn't Dallas going to a 4-3 defense? Makes sense that they wouldn't have a 3-4 DE ranked very high.

Pugger
05-31-2013, 06:20 AM
That makes me feel a lot better about Datone.

:lol: Even if you are switching to a 3-4 I can't imagine many GMs grading Datone this low.

pbmax
05-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Isn't Dallas going to a 4-3 defense? Makes sense that they wouldn't have a 3-4 DE ranked very high.

At this point, I am still confused. What was the best part of this kid's game in college? At 6' 4" and 285, he sure seems like he could be DE in Kiffin's scheme, but he probably could not be one of his DTs.

pbmax
05-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Love that Lacy is draftable and 2nd rounder, Ball is 3rd. Bahktari is a 4th rounder. Franklin is a fifth.

Schwenke, the center who got away is a fifth rounder too.

rbaloha1
05-31-2013, 11:18 AM
At this point, I am still confused. What was the best part of this kid's game in college? At 6' 4" and 285, he sure seems like he could be DE in Kiffin's scheme, but he probably could not be one of his DTs.

Kiffin watched him at USC. Maybe there is some unfortunate validity.

smuggler
05-31-2013, 11:25 AM
He had a 2nd round grade by some pundits. He rose up because he had a stellar week at Senior Bowl practice.

run pMc
05-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Jokes about DAL's personnel moves aside, I'm not surprised Jones wasn't ranked as high -- DAL is moving to a 4-3 and the consensus is he's a better fit in a 3-4. They must have thought enough of him to not remove him from their board completely.
That said, Jerry is a salesman and a gambler, so I wonder how much of that is real and how much is bluffing (i.e., shuffling players around to throw other teams off)? I can't imagine after showing the board once they'd do it again on purpose. Jerry has someone clean his glasses for him, so he could have a media lackey to keep his board secret. Either that, or they just didn't care who saw the board since the interview was done after the draft.

MadScientist
05-31-2013, 12:22 PM
These "round" grades are more like talent tiers, as they are not full rounds. Going by the numbers Jones is a late second (#59). What is interesting is how little there is for later prospects. They only have 132 players on that board, but maybe experience tell them that that is enough since everyone they picked was on their board. It would be really interesting to see another teams board.

Guiness
05-31-2013, 02:36 PM
These "round" grades are more like talent tiers, as they are not full rounds. Going by the numbers Jones is a late second (#59). What is interesting is how little there is for later prospects. They only have 132 players on that board, but maybe experience tell them that that is enough since everyone they picked was on their board. It would be really interesting to see another teams board.

Maybe it should tell you something that the guy you wanted at a given pick was always there???

One interesting thing pointed out in the article is that the Cowboys twice passed over an available QB they had ranked higher than the player they took - leaving Nassib and Barkley. Not smart, imo. How do you not draft good value at the QB position???

pbmax
05-31-2013, 03:11 PM

Not sure about that. When the number of picks left is greater than players with grades for that round, you consider trading up (Morgan Burnett). When they run out of first rounders on the board at pick #20, you trade down to the second (Jordy Nelson). That is one of the things TT means when he says he has to trust the board.

When there are more players than picks left in the round, you get 2 trades down for Lacy and dropping out of the third round into the fourth.

Patler
05-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Not sure about that. When the number of picks left is greater than players with grades for that round, you consider trading up (Morgan Burnett). When they run out of first rounders on the board at pick #20, you trade down to the second (Jordy Nelson). That is one of the things TT means when he says he has to trust the board.

When there are more players than picks left in the round, you get 2 trades down for Lacy and dropping out of the third round into the fourth.

Sure, but if you can't find a willing trade partner, you have no choice but to draft the highest player available, even if you gave him a 2nd round grade and you are picking in the 1st.

red
05-31-2013, 06:43 PM

they said in one article that they only had players that they wanted on the board. everyone else in the draft they either didn't want, or thought were just undraftable

so they liked datone, they just didn't like him as a high round pick

RashanGary
05-31-2013, 09:05 PM
The thing that surprises me is how few tiers there are. It's not like it's broken up into 20 tiers. Seems like trading back makes sense a lot of the time if you have this many draftable players in the same round

pbmax
06-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Sure, but if you can't find a willing trade partner, you have no choice but to draft the highest player available, even if you gave him a 2nd round grade and you are picking in the 1st.

True, sometimes you can't help it. But I think the chart reflects the true desire of the team not to overvalue the players left and that is why there are not 32 players in each round.

pbmax
06-01-2013, 10:21 AM
The thing that surprises me is how few tiers there are. It's not like it's broken up into 20 tiers. Seems like trading back makes sense a lot of the time if you have this many draftable players in the same round

I think at that point it becomes far harder to track where you are and what to do. With the chart as it is, all you need to do is ask how many players are left and how many picks are left.

Patler
06-01-2013, 10:26 AM
So, who is going to keep track of the Dallas list, and post it in 4-5 years when it really will be worth discussing?????

pbmax
06-01-2013, 10:33 AM
So, who is going to keep track of the Dallas list, and post it in 4-5 years when it really will be worth discussing?????

We can go back and look at the Mike Neal draft.

pbmax
06-01-2013, 10:37 AM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?19761-Cowboys-draft-board-leaked&highlight=cowboys

Also here: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?19727-Understanding-the-Neal-Pick&p=508967&viewfull=1#post508967

gbgary
06-01-2013, 11:27 PM
that's why dallas has had mostly shit drafts ever since jimmy left and jerra took over. long live jerra.

Iron Mike
06-02-2013, 07:24 AM
that's why dallas has had mostly shit drafts ever since jimmy left and jerra took over. long live jerra.

And of course, Jimmy did a stellar job of drafting when he went to Miami. :roll:

pbmax
06-02-2013, 09:27 AM
And of course, Jimmy did a stellar job of drafting when he went to Miami. :roll:

He had a pretty good team in Miami. Better than Shula's. He never found a QB though. First picks in the draft helps when Aikman is available.

Bretsky
06-02-2013, 03:53 PM
He had a pretty good team in Miami. Better than Shula's. He never found a QB though. First picks in the draft helps when Aikman is available.

I spend too much time reading about and documenting past coaches...IMO....JJ.......one of the best ever. I would put him on top 5 hands down and maybe #3

But I wonder what would have happened if the Magic Man had not led up to two late season wins....pushing us to the #2 pick in the draft and getting us stuck with Mandarich

If Jimmy Johnson gets stuck with Mandarich instead of Aikman....wow...way different

Guiness
06-02-2013, 04:35 PM
I spend too much time reading about and documenting past coaches...IMO....JJ.......one of the best ever. I would put him on top 5 hands down and maybe #3

But I wonder what would have happened if the Magic Man had not led up to two late season wins....pushing us to the #2 pick in the draft and getting us stuck with Mandarich

If Jimmy Johnson gets stuck with Mandarich instead of Aikman....wow...way different

If he gets Madarich insead of Aikman, it probably would've been different...but if the Pack was drafting #1, it's quite likely they still would've taken the former! Remember, he was the top rated prospect, and as you just pointed out, the Pack had a good, young QB in Magic!

bobblehead
06-02-2013, 07:02 PM

I have had that discussion (while drunk) way too many times....or if we slipped back another pick and got Deion or Barry.

Anyway, in the spirit of the thread:

1) Packers (not just a homer, I believe it)
2) Broncos
3) 49ers
4) Patriots
5) Redskins (guess I am alone on this one).

I don't like Atlanta or Seattle, or even N.O. What do these teams have in common?

bobblehead
06-02-2013, 07:07 PM
That draft had 4 HOF's in first 5 picks....we got Mandarich

Joemailman
06-02-2013, 08:51 PM
That draft had 4 HOF's in first 5 picks....we got Mandarich

They got the Hall of Famers, We got the Hall Of Shamer.

They got the goldmine. We got the shaft.

They got the penthouse. We got the outhouse.

gbgary
06-02-2013, 10:10 PM

i have no idea how he did in miami...but i'm not reaching when i say he did ok here in dallas. lol

Iron Mike
06-03-2013, 08:14 AM
i have no idea how he did in miami...but i'm not reaching when i say he did ok here in dallas. lol

You yourself would be able to make the HOF with the bounty that "The Trade" provided.

As far as coaching, he had a regular season winning percentage of .550 in Dallas and .563 in Miami.

By comparison, Mike Sherman had a .594 regular season winning percentage in GB.

pbmax
06-03-2013, 08:27 AM
You yourself would be able to make the HOF with the bounty that "The Trade" provided.

As far as coaching, he had a regular season winning percentage of .550 in Dallas and .563 in Miami.

By comparison, Mike Sherman had a .594 regular season winning percentage in GB.

Johnson's numbers from his first two seasons look abysmal because they really did rebuild when they took over. That hurts the overall totals.

I know woodbuck thinks we could make a draft pay off with those picks, and consultatively build a championship defense, but I think Johnson deserves some credit for not blowing those picks.

Fritz
06-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Common thinking was that the last couple games of that season were the "Troy Aikman Sweepstakes" and whoever "won" - Dallas or GB - was definitely picking Aikman. He was seen as the clearcut number one pick, because of his talent and the position he played.

But then, that GB management team might've mucked up the pick anyway.

Smidgeon
06-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Common thinking was that the last couple games of that season were the "Troy Aikman Sweepstakes" and whoever "won" - Dallas or GB - was definitely picking Aikman. He was seen as the clearcut number one pick, because of his talent and the position he played.

But then, that GB management team might've mucked up the pick anyway.

If Aikman went to the Pack, would they have hired Wolf and would have the Pack not gotten Favre, Reggie, Holmgren, etc?

Fritz
06-03-2013, 11:23 AM
In this alternative universe does Lindy Infante become a Packer coaching great in the annals of team history?

pbmax
06-03-2013, 01:22 PM
In this alternative universe does Lindy Infante become a Packer coaching great in the annals of team history?

Does Troy Aikman get an Official Thread that has 10,000 posts about whether or not he is a saint, turncoat or reprobate (Zubaz pics) after forcing a trade to the Vikings via the Jets so he can work with Dennis Green, Randy Moss and Chris Carter?