PDA

View Full Version : How Not To Run A Football Team

pbmax
06-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Raiders Fire P.R. Director Zak Gilbert

He was a McKenzie hire but Mark Davis didn't like a profile in SI about the 4-12 season and how it portrayed himself and his father.

http://blog.sfgate.com/raiders/2013/06/01/raiders-fire-p-r-director-gilbert/

I wonder how Mike Silver will spin this as McKenzie's fault.

Guiness
06-02-2013, 01:16 PM
I be Mckenzie is seething over this, and it looks like MD is going to interfere in the manner his father did, and with just as thin a skin.

Although this isn't a football move, it tells me that the Silver and Black are not righting the ship.

Out of curiosity, did anybody read the SI article they refer to? Was it based on an interview with Gilbert or something?

pbmax
06-02-2013, 01:33 PM
I be Mckenzie is seething over this, and it looks like MD is going to interfere in the manner his father did, and with just as thin a skin.

Although this isn't a football move, it tells me that the Silver and Black are not righting the ship.

Out of curiosity, did anybody read the SI article they refer to? Was it based on an interview with Gilbert or something?

The article as of earlier today wasn't available except behind a paywall. So there are a lot of mentions of the firing but little info on the piece. It was said to be unflattering to both Mark and Al.

Guiness
06-02-2013, 01:40 PM
The article as of earlier today wasn't available except behind a paywall. So there are a lot of mentions of the firing but little info on the piece. It was said to be unflattering to both Mark and Al.

Found a free link to the article in the SI vault. Tafur couldn't be bothered to find it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1207435/index.htm

read it and tell me what it says, ok? :)
All I can tell you is that it's 7 pages long!

smuggler
06-02-2013, 03:27 PM
If Mark Davis can keep himself from making football decisions, he'll be just fine. Why would he pay a guy to besmirch his family? Even if what the PR dude related was true, it's still a failure to do his job. I have no problem with this firing, and I doubt McKenzie does either.

Guiness
06-02-2013, 04:33 PM
If Mark Davis can keep himself from making football decisions, he'll be just fine. Why would he pay a guy to besmirch his family? Even if what the PR dude related was true, it's still a failure to do his job. I have no problem with this firing, and I doubt McKenzie does either.

IF Gilbert said anything bad. Al Davis had a famously thin skin. If his son is the same, he might well have fired Gilbert because he didn't prevent the article from being printed. I don't know, as I said I didn't read the article, but the events surrounding the firing, including the 2 month lapse between the article and the firing are odd.

smuggler
06-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Maybe he did something stupid and the firing isn't related whatsoever.

Guiness
06-02-2013, 10:46 PM

You're giving that chowder head the benefit of the doubt? lol

Watch the movie Tommy Boy, minus the last 20 minutes and you have Mark Davis summed up. If it wasn't for an accident of birth, you can be pretty certain the highlight of his job would be when he got a new head for the mop.

pbmax
06-03-2013, 08:17 AM

Anything is possible, except that after the article appeared, he as suspended indefinitely while Davis the Younger decided what to do. So fired for the article being published has the timeline on its side.

Fritz
06-03-2013, 09:51 AM
How long will Mckenzie last until this dung-head son gets a but up his butt and feels the need to exert himself by firing his coach and/or GM?