PDA

View Full Version : A hungry Aaron Rodgers has a conversation with JS beat writer Tyler Dunne

woodbuck27
06-02-2013, 11:50 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-qb-considers-his-legacy-green-bays-new-offense-b9923255z1.html

He's got the ring, the MVP, the big contract. But he's hungry for more.

Please click on the above LINK for this Q and A Session with our QB.

GO PACK GO !

bobblehead
06-02-2013, 07:17 PM
I loved the comment about the "used car salesman" in the backfield. That was respect. Don't be surprised if little DeJuan makes this team.

Old School
06-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Nice article. Not only do we have the best QB in the business; ours has his head on straight.

swede
06-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Q. Is there any vindication to you that the deal was struck on draft day?

A. Well, I think irony is the better word. Vindication, I'm not looking for vindication. I'm looking to be the best player that I can be. Every time the draft comes on, they show my mug on there and talk about the wait that I had and guys who have had similar waits over the years as well.

In an interview like this it is so easy to agree with a characterization from the interviewer that is close. But Aaron's distinction between irony and vindication is impressive. It would be impressive with long minutes to think about it, but even moreso as a snap answer in an interview.

Vindication is a confirmation of good standing against some ill word brought against you. It implies a sense of personal relief.

Irony is situational, and the target of the irony was not Aaron but the teams who passed on him in the draft, none of whom would do so if given another chance.

I like his distinction. His life goes on and he needs no feeling of relief from the slight he felt back then. But the irony of the situation will be visited upon the other teams for long years, especially those who have suffered without a good quarterback.

pbmax
06-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Vindication is a confirmation of good standing against some ill word brought against you. It implies a sense of personal relief.

Isn't this a close cousin to carrying around a chip on your shoulder, though? Rodgers might not want to claim the fruits of vindication (personal relief), but you can't carry a grudge about your draft status and doubts about your abilities (stemming from High School) without some consideration for what people think of you.

It might very well be healthier not to become self-satisfied, but he's splitting a hair here, isn't he? I would not doubt that he enjoyed the contract timing and not simply in an ironic way.

swede
06-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Isn't this a close cousin to carrying around a chip on your shoulder, though? Rodgers might not want to claim the fruits of vindication (personal relief), but you can't carry a grudge about your draft status and doubts about your abilities (stemming from High School) without some consideration for what people think of you.

It might very well be healthier not to become self-satisfied, but he's splitting a hair here, isn't he? I would not doubt that he enjoyed the contract timing and not simply in an ironic way.

Hmmm. Everything you say is certainly true. Aaron has been fueled by his collection of "chips". His new chip is the message that the value of his play will not match the amount of his contract.

I think what I am admiring here is his ability to split hairs in the middle of the interview in a meaningful way. It seems to me that his rhetorical hair-splitting turned the spotlight away from himself and back on the other teams.

3irty1
06-03-2013, 08:58 AM
I loved the comment about the "used car salesman" in the backfield. That was respect. Don't be surprised if little DeJuan makes this team.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the majority of the load this season. Even with rookies it should be his job to lose given how strong he came on at the end of 2012.

pbmax
06-03-2013, 09:10 AM
I think what I am admiring here is his ability to split hairs in the middle of the interview in a meaningful way. It seems to me that his rhetorical hair-splitting turned the spotlight away from himself and back on the other teams.

Fair point.

And your earlier one, that he does not accept the terms of the original question is good as well. He does this with Wilde all the time in their weekly interview. He conducts a weekly masters class in how to frame questions (or reframe them) so that you can answer them without revealing anything you would rather not.

Fritz
06-03-2013, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the majority of the load this season. Even with rookies it should be his job to lose given how strong he came on at the end of 2012.

Given the interview and the whole Aaron-Rodgers-has-a-chip-on-his-shoulder narrative, it's no wonder he would like DeJuan Harris. Rodgers sees himself in any underdog, especially those who are passed over before those anointed have ever competed.

I think Rodgers is very smart, and I like his response - trying to turn it away from being personal. On the other hand, I don't believe it for a minute. It's all personal to him, which is why there is a part of me that is leery of Rodgers.

swede
06-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Given the interview and the whole Aaron-Rodgers-has-a-chip-on-his-shoulder narrative, it's no wonder he would like DeJuan Harris. Rodgers sees himself in any underdog, especially those who are passed over before those anointed have ever competed.

I think Rodgers is very smart, and I like his response - trying to turn it away from being personal. On the other hand, I don't believe it for a minute. It's all personal to him, which is why there is a part of me that is leery of Rodgers.

Yeah, I've thought of that also. If Rodgers ever went Favre on us we'd be toast.

denverYooper
06-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Fair point.

And your earlier one, that he does not accept the terms of the original question is good as well. He does this with Wilde all the time in their weekly interview. He conducts a weekly masters class in how to frame questions (or reframe them) so that you can answer them without revealing anything you would rather not.

Speaking of framing. It seems telling that he mentioned the 2 rookies an Harris specifically. I wonder if Starks and Green are both on the outs.

Fritz
06-03-2013, 11:29 AM
That is a good question. And too bad, cuz I like Green's potential, although in his brief opportunities when healthy he didn't impress me as I'd hoped.

Maybe Rodgers doesn't think much of guys who can't stay on the field, no matter whose fault. I dunno.

I would be far more concerned with what Rodgers thinks of me than what the fans think, but then again I'd be even more concerned with what MM thinks. And if I were a vet with a higher-end salary, I'd be concerned with what TT thinks.

No wonder AJ Hawk keeps restructuring.

pbmax
06-03-2013, 01:34 PM
It's all personal to him, which is why there is a part of me that is leery of Rodgers.

Yep. Favre good ol' boy'd all this stuff and then stayed away from the weekly media in his later years. So the public really had to piece together scattered fragments to understand his unhappiness when it occurred. He just didn't cross paths publicly with too many questions about it until the Summer of Favre.

Rodgers is, so far, much more accessible. I could see the whole package curdling if the team hits a real bad patch. That is just pure speculation on my part as I don't really know him obviously, but I get the sense that he is wound pretty tight.

MadtownPacker
06-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Leery? You MFers make me sick. The same traits you probably hate about Favre are the same ones that made you cheer for him. Now you pulling the same shit on Rodgers. He is a fucking human, they all are right? Eventually they will get upset or disagree with something. You cant expect to piss out the fire that fuels them IMO.

pbmax
06-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Leery? You MFers make me sick. The same traits you probably hate about Favre are the same ones that made you cheer for him. Now you pulling the same shit on Rodgers. He is a fucking human, they all are right? Eventually they will get upset or disagree with something. You cant expect to piss out the fire that fuels them IMO.

No one wants them to. But that same fire serves them less well, from the team's perspective, as they age.

Unavoidable.

MJZiggy
06-03-2013, 07:51 PM
He'll be fine. He has the fire, but also is smart enough not to get all wrapped up in his own hype. He had a front row seat into how it can all go wrong.

RashanGary
06-03-2013, 09:40 PM

I disagree with you from time to time, but rarely do I strongly disagree with you. I think the odds of Harris carrying the bulk of the load are slim to none. There's something I don't like about him, don't know what it is. Maybe I'm not used to seeing a guy that short carry the ball, but something just doesn't look right. He seems jittery, kind of chaotic. In my experience, RB's who are good usually look decisive.

packer4life
06-03-2013, 09:55 PM

I think you are spot on. Dajuan Harris is talented. Perhaps not 16-game durable, but talented nonetheless. I am excited to see his progress in this offense with an offseason of study time.

woodbuck27
06-06-2013, 09:05 PM
I disagree with you from time to time, but rarely do I strongly disagree with you. I think the odds of Harris carrying the bulk of the load are slim to none. There's something I don't like about him, don't know what it is. Maybe I'm not used to seeing a guy that short carry the ball, but something just doesn't look right. He seems jittery, kind of chaotic. In my experience, RB's who are good usually look decisive.

Please....give him a break on some more time to really know the playbook better and get into some more manageable comfort zone. DuJuan Harris has enough going against him now with his health issue (we're just learning of) and needs all the positive karma we might choose to give him.

Personally I liked the way he hit a hole in the LOS. He just needs to learn how to set up and cover his blocking assignments.

GO PACK GO !

mraynrand
06-06-2013, 09:40 PM

Shades of De'Mond Parker in the '99 game at Chicago

Pugger
06-07-2013, 09:57 AM
He'll be fine. He has the fire, but also is smart enough not to get all wrapped up in his own hype. He had a front row seat into how it can all go wrong.

This.

woodbuck27
06-08-2013, 06:07 AM
Hmmm. Everything you say is certainly true. Aaron has been fueled by his collection of "chips". His new chip is the message that the value of his play will not match the amount of his contract.

Aaron Rodgers didn't beg the Green Bay Packers for the money their paying him now. He seemed rather satisfied to be patient for his next contract. It seems to me that neither side. Aaron's or the PACKERS need make an issue of this large contract and future Green Bay Packer success.

The fact of the large contract doesn't change the water on the beans. Aaron Rodgers is simply one part of the whole towords winning the next Super Bowl. If he feels he must do more than simply play his part and do so to the very best of his ability he might very well fail. Aaron Rodgers must simply relax and center on being the best QB in the NFL.

If another Super Bowl ring comes with that. Awesome for the Green Bay Packer organization and it's fans. It's not always about the results but rather how you play the game that truly matters.

Aaron Rodgers is maturing. Aaron Rodgers is doing alot right.

GO PACK GO !

Fritz
06-08-2013, 11:29 AM
aaron rodgers sucks. He's not as good as Favre. Jennings made Rodgers who he is.

He holds the ball too long.

I hope Rodgers reads Packerrats, for now he'll have chips to last a lifetime.

woodbuck27
06-14-2013, 09:53 AM
aaron rodgers sucks. He's not as good as Favre. Jennings made Rodgers who he is.

He holds the ball too long.

I hope Rodgers reads Packerrats, for now he'll have chips to last a lifetime.

Aaron Rodgers 'of course' has been tested (measured). Such is the way of the fan.

Attitude ... in terms of being positive means so much Fritz. I see some real strength coming out of Aaron Rodgers now. He 'no longer' needs to accept the cockiness label. He's paving his own highway to the NFL HOF. He's in his own drivers seat.

Too often we all need a little attitude adjustment. I believe that Aaron Rodgers is somehow changing too more positive. I certainly hope so.

GO PACKERS !

falco
06-15-2013, 04:45 PM
When I saw the thread title, I wondered why he didn't grab a bite to eat beforehand. Interviewing on an empty stomach is a good way to make a gaffe.

denverYooper
06-15-2013, 05:40 PM
When I saw the thread title, I wondered why he didn't grab a bite to eat beforehand. Interviewing on an empty stomach is a good way to make a gaffe.

Lol. I keep thinking the same thing every time this thread bubbles up.