PDA

View Full Version : Lambeau #10

Upnorth
06-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Espn bloggers have voted Curly as the tenth best coach in history. I am happy he made top ten but after three losing seasons in 31 and 6 titles while pioneering the passing game I thought he would be higher.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyPage=greatestcoach10

Fritz
06-03-2013, 09:52 AM
There's usually a bias in favor of more recent players and coaches in these kinds of lists.

woodbuck27
06-08-2013, 08:07 AM
What a legacy for Mr. Earl Louis "Curly" Lambeau (April 9, 1898 – June 1, 1965)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/CurlyLambeauNotreDame.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_Lambeau#Founding_the_Packers

" 'Curly' Lambeau and George Whitney Calhoun formed the Green Bay Packers on August 11, 1919, while Lambeau was working as a shipping clerk at the Indian Packing Company.

The Packers initially played teams from Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula; however, the success of the team in 1919-20 quickly led to its joining of the American Professional Football Association, with the league changing its name to the National Football League in 1922."

Playing career

" Lambeau played for the Packers from 1919 to 1929. Although Lambeau played halfback, he was both the primary runner and passer, as was common practice during that period; most teams used the single wing offense at the time. Lambeau threw the Packers' first official pass, first official touchdown pass, and kicked the Packers' first official field goal." Fr. LINK above

GO PACK GO !

Carolina_Packer
06-08-2013, 11:50 PM
What does penicillin and the Packers have to do with one another?

If one existed, the other one might not.

Curly Lambeau did not return to Notre Dame (played for Knute Rockne) after his freshman year of 1918 because of severe tonsillitis. Penicillin was not discovered until 1928. Had it existed in 1918, Lambeau likely would have returned to Notre Dame for his sophomore season and beyond, and professional football may have never been known to Green Bay.

Strange, but true.

Upnorth
06-10-2013, 06:13 PM
With Walsh being #2 Lombardi is voted # 1.

I am surprised Walsh was #2, I thought if brown wasn't #1 he was #2 at worst.

Guiness
06-10-2013, 07:57 PM
With Walsh being #2 Lombardi is voted # 1.

I am surprised Walsh was #2, I thought if brown wasn't #1 he was #2 at worst.

Pretty rarefied air, and a good case could be made for Brown to be higher, of course. His influence in unparalleled. #2 and #3 on the list are from the 1st generation of his coaching tree, and Belichick has said he was inspired (at the age of 8!) by watching a Brown practice.

Marc Trestman is precariously attached to the Brown coaching tree - via Howard Schnellenberger. Ya, I don't know who he is either.

mraynrand
06-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Espn bloggers have voted Curly as the tenth best coach in history. I am happy he made top ten but after three losing seasons in 31 and 6 titles while pioneering the passing game I thought he would be higher.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyPage=greatestcoach10

it's unfortunate they have the traitor on that video

Upnorth
06-11-2013, 11:04 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/greatestcoach1/greatest-coaches-nfl-history-vince-lombardi

As told by Bart Starr

"For the folks who weren't in the meeting rooms and on the practice field, I would tell you the story of how Coach Lombardi approached us when he first came to Green Bay. I had already been there for three seasons, and we had not had much success.

Well, in our first session, he was so strong and dynamic and powerful; when we took our first break after 30 minutes or so, I ran down the hall and into one of the offices and called my wife back here in Alabama. I said, "Honey, we're going to start winning." I mean, it was that obvious. "

"One time in my first or second year, he just chewed my butt out in a big group meeting. I had made some errors, some small things, but he really got into me. Later that day, I asked permission to see him. I said to him, "I know I made some mistakes, but the next time I do that, I would ask you respectfully to do it in the privacy of this office. I have to lead these men and I can't do it to the full extent if you're undermining me in front of them."

Well, he looked at me and he apologized and said, "It will never happen again." And, nope, it never did."

KYPack
06-11-2013, 08:13 PM
What does penicillin and the Packers have to do with one another?

If one existed, the other one might not.

Curly Lambeau did not return to Notre Dame (played for Knute Rockne) after his freshman year of 1918 because of severe tonsillitis. Penicillin was not discovered until 1928. Had it existed in 1918, Lambeau likely would have returned to Notre Dame for his sophomore season and beyond, and professional football may have never been known to Green Bay.

Strange, but true.

Lucky they invented that shit.

I'm sure Curly had a few shots of penicillin in his time.