PDA

View Full Version : Shields inks RFA deal

smuggler
06-03-2013, 02:34 PM
According to some, there are talks to extend him, also.

http://inagist.com/all/341637566858153984/

QBME
06-03-2013, 02:52 PM
According to some, there are talks to extend him, also.

http://inagist.com/all/341637566858153984/

Unless I'm missing something, it says that he hasn't signed yet, and he needs to sign to participate in OTA's tomorrow.

pbmax
06-03-2013, 03:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/03/sam-shields-signs-his-packers-rfa-tender/

PFT says they have a source that claims he signed it. Negotiations on a longer term deal might still be ongoing according to Demovsky at the GBPG, but his report preceded the tender signing and could be affected by it.

Rosenhaus has a reputation for not holding out but signing tender deals in RFA and then making noise for a longer term deal or trade after the signing. See Javon Walker.

pbmax
06-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Adam Schefter has it signed as well.

pbmax
06-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 10m
Player to remember is Davon House. Before shoulder injury last camp, he was positioning himself as the front-runner for starting CB job.

Dunne, explaining, I think, the risk Shields runs by missing OTAs and the offseason.

pittstang5
06-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Player to remember is Davon House. Before shoulder injury last camp, he was positioning himself as the front-runner for starting CB job.

Dunne, explaining, I think, the risk Shields runs by missing OTAs and the offseason.

But isn't House sitting out because of surgery on the shoulder he injured in preseason last year? Or is he full go?

Patler
06-03-2013, 04:47 PM
WTMJ reported that Shields has signed.

Patler
06-03-2013, 04:49 PM
But isn't House sitting out because of surgery on the shoulder he injured in preseason last year? Or is he full go?

House sat out during the optional camp the last two weeks. Shoulder surgery was late January. I saw only one prognosis at the time, which said 3-4 months.

Guiness
06-03-2013, 04:52 PM

In the last OTA thread it was mentioned he is still out.

I'm not too worried about House yet, he had shoulder surgery at the end of January and they said 3 months before resuming workouts. No sense pushing him too hard now. I suspect his day is filled working with PT's and trainers.

So it's not like Shields is falling behind, but maybe he realized he was missing a chance to get ahead. Or maybe he realized $2million is not so bad for a former UDFA!

pbmax
06-03-2013, 05:56 PM

He was out last week but unsure about this week.

The post was mainly about House having passed Shields prior to his DH's injury in camp last year. In addition, Hayward has been getting Shields reps in practice this year. Dunne thought two talented guys were a threat to Shields spot. Plus Hyde.

Guiness
06-03-2013, 07:01 PM
He was out last week but unsure about this week.

The post was mainly about House having passed Shields prior to his DH's injury in camp last year. In addition, Hayward has been getting Shields reps in practice this year. Dunne thought two talented guys were a threat to Shields spot. Plus Hyde.

Nice problem to have, no doubt about that.

House had the shoulder surgery in January. What was the TC injury? He was out at the start and the end of the season, played a bit in between, did he aggravate the TC injury or was it a new one?

Joemailman
06-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Nice problem to have, no doubt about that.

House had the shoulder surgery in January. What was the TC injury? He was out at the start and the end of the season, played a bit in between, did he aggravate the TC injury or was it a new one?

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/an-offseason-look-at-injured-players-on-packers-roster

Davon House

The injury: After sustaining a subluxation to his left shoulder in the 2012 preseason, House came back to play in nine games with a brace. He then re-aggravated his shoulder in December, was inactive the rest of the way, and underwent offseason surgery. He hasn’t taken part in the team’s offseason program.

The prognosis: Unless there are aspects of House’s injury that have not been made public, he has not broken any bones or torn any muscles or ligaments. There’s no reason to think he’ll lose any speed or mobility, and that bodes well for a full recovery. The recent shoulder injury to fellow cornerback Tramon Williams may serve as a cautionary tale, however.

ETA: Until told otherwise, I’m working under the assumption that House will be available for the start of training camp. Of course, it’s always dangerous to make assumptions.

Sean Richardson

packer4life
06-03-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm torn about Shields. Do you extend him early to get a bit of a long-term discount, or do you make him "earn" it?

pbmax
06-03-2013, 10:27 PM
I'm torn about Shields. Do you extend him early to get a bit of a long-term discount, or do you make him "earn" it?

At the right price yes, because TWill and Bush are the only other CBs making serious money and Bush makes his for ST. If Williams gets asked to take a cut or face a waiver wire, a 3 year deal for Shields still makes this a pretty cheap, young and talented backfield.

All depends on his asking price. He's missed time and has not done it for a full season yet. It shouldn't be extraordinary.

packer4life
06-03-2013, 10:29 PM
At the right price yes, because TWill and Bush are the only other CBs making serious money and Bush makes his for ST. If Williams gets asked to take a cut or face a waiver wire, a 3 year deal for Shields still makes this a pretty cheap, young and talented backfield.

All depends on his asking price. He's missed time and has not done it for a full season yet. It shouldn't be extraordinary.

Would you try to renegotiate with Tramon? Do you think he will be on the outs?

pbmax
06-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Would you try to renegotiate with Tramon? Do you think he will be on the outs?

No. It certainly looks tempting to redo him if everyone is healthy. Asking prior to Week 1 when he will be hard pressed to get a guarantee even for the year would be persuasive if he hasn't returned to near Pro Bowl form. However, its not TT's style to put a player on that much of a spot. So I think he stays for this year at this price.

But I think they can afford one more year of he and Shields even if SS gets a bigger, longer term deal.

Patler
06-04-2013, 12:35 AM
At the right price yes, because TWill and Bush are the only other CBs making serious money and Bush makes his for ST.

Bush? Isn't he making less than the RFA tender for Shields?

smuggler
06-04-2013, 01:34 AM
Pretty sure the average over the length of Bush's contract was 2.5

Patler
06-04-2013, 05:57 AM
I found this about Bush from 2012:

The three-year contract that Bush signed Tuesday totals $5.25 million over three years. His previous contract was for $4.5 million over three years.

Bush received a signing bonus of $1M, the same as he did in 2009. His base salaries will be $1M this season, $1.35M in 2013 and $1.6M in 2014. In addition, he has a $100,000 workout bonus each year.

pbmax
06-04-2013, 07:56 AM
I found this about Bush from 2012:

I thought he should be included because he is substantially over the vet minimum and on his third multi-year contract (avg per year of $1.75 mil by your quote).

No one else is over $1 mil per besides Williams.

If Shields signs a long term deal, his cap number this year could go down if they wished.

Patler
06-04-2013, 10:40 AM
I thought he should be included because he is substantially over the vet minimum and on his third multi-year contract (avg per year of $1.75 mil by your quote).

No one else is over $1 mil per besides Williams.

If Shields signs a long term deal, his cap number this year could go down if they wished.

They would have to sign Shields awfully cheap on salaries, and without much of a guarantee by way of a signing bonus to get much of a cap savings. I suspect Shields is looking for something much better than that, especially after being so cheap so far.

When you look at it, the D-backfield certainly is playing quite cheaply for the Packers. Kind of amazing, really. If Williams isn't back to his former self, it could get even a lot cheaper.

Fritz
06-04-2013, 11:31 AM
And despite this cheapness, the Pack has a fairly long list of guys who were significant contributors at varied positions and whose contracts are up this year.

Is it like this for every team, or does Ted set it up to be this way so he always has flexibility?

rbaloha1
06-04-2013, 12:39 PM

Earn it. The biggest downside is that Jew agent of his.

MadScientist
06-04-2013, 01:02 PM
And despite this cheapness, the Pack has a fairly long list of guys who were significant contributors at varied positions and whose contracts are up this year.

Is it like this for every team, or does Ted set it up to be this way so he always has flexibility?

Pretty much all teams have this problem to some extent. The exceptions would be teams that suck and have no worthy players. Teams just starting to ascend have a lesser problem because the players that are on contract years are mostly the players they don't care about.

pbmax
06-04-2013, 01:09 PM
rb, the schtick is wearing thin. But that post is beyond even your previous trolling.

rbaloha1
06-04-2013, 01:19 PM
rb, the schtick is wearing thin. But that post is beyond even your previous trolling.

So is yours.

Cheesehead Craig
06-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I hope they do sign him to a multi year deal. I like the guy and think he's going to be a very solid CB for many years.

RashanGary
06-04-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm not a huge shields guy, but I do think now is better than later. Something similar to what we did with James Jones. I think the longer he plays, the more he'll be worth. I also have a hunch he's kind of immature. He seems like the kind of guy you'd rather have on 3-year deals than 5 and 7 year deals.

rbaloha1
06-05-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm not a huge shields guy, but I do think now is better than later. Something similar to what we did with James Jones. I think the longer he plays, the more he'll be worth. I also have a hunch he's kind of immature. He seems like the kind of guy you'd rather have on 3-year deals than 5 and 7 year deals.

Watch the tape and check out the improved tackling.

Immature is a slight issue but what about Finley?