PDA

View Full Version : Raji's Going To Have To Earn It

pbmax
06-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Thompson rolling the dice:

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 2h
MT @RapSheet: After early talks, #Packers plan to make @rajifreezer90 play out final year of his deal to earn big, long-term payday

http://t.co/I5Jf38KKCB

pbmax
06-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
If DT BJ Raji has the huge year he wants, it'll benefit #Packers on the field, then benefit him off it (either with a deal from GB or in FA)

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
From Total Access: BJ Raji is eating healthier, in shape. Scheme will help. He'll be allowed/asked to attack & create like in 2010 (7 sacks)

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
From Total Access: After early talks, #Packers plan to make DT BJ Raji play out the final year of his deal to earn a big, long-term payday

pbmax
06-03-2013, 11:03 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208778/article/packers-to-take-waitandsee-approach-with-bj-raji?campaign=Twitter_atl

Rapoport has been told that Raji is focused, in shape and eating healthy. The Packers are confident some tweaks to their scheme will help Raji, who will be asked to attack and create like he did in 2010. That was Raji's breakout season, which he finished with seven sacks.

I dunno, he was on the nose in a 3-4 Oakie in 2010 and then played a metric ton of 3 tech in the nickel and dime. We'll have to see if he really gets a different role. could spell trouble for Hawk and Bishop. And it didn't work against Peterson. The more I think about this quote, the more it sounds like his agent's wishful thinking.

packer4life
06-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Perfect play from TT. Takes the guesswork out of paying a guy who has underachieved but flashed at times.

Patler
06-04-2013, 12:16 AM
"After early talks......"

A week ago or so Raji said there had been no discussions yet.
Now, the Packers have already determined it is a waste of time to continue discussions.

Sounds to me like they were quite far apart in the terms.

Maybe Raji DOES have big dollar signs in his eyes, and/or isn't as committed to GB as his comments last week implied. It always makes me question motives when the first time we hear how much a player loves GB and wants to stay there is just before contract negotiations start.

pittstang5
06-04-2013, 06:23 AM
There's always the Franchise tag. I have no idea what that would cost, but it could be an option. I'd hate to see another decent player go and all the Packers get is a Comp. Pick the following year.

Is Raji the only "Big" free agent possiblity after this upcoming season?

Joemailman
06-04-2013, 06:44 AM
There's always the Franchise tag. I have no idea what that would cost, but it could be an option. I'd hate to see another decent player go and all the Packers get is a Comp. Pick the following year.

James Jones and Finley.

Patler
06-04-2013, 07:51 AM

James Jones and Finley.

Shields, too as a possible "big" one.

Lesser ones include lots of starters from last year:
Newhouse
Pickett
Burnett
Wilson
Jennings
EDS
Kuhn

To complete the list of those who should play regularly:
Neal
Quarless

pbmax
06-04-2013, 08:06 AM
"After early talks......"

A week ago or so Raji said there had been no discussions yet.
Now, the Packers have already determined it is a waste of time to continue discussions.

Sounds to me like they were quite far apart in the terms.

Maybe Raji DOES have big dollar signs in his eyes, and/or isn't as committed to GB as his comments last week implied. It always makes me question motives when the first time we hear how much a player loves GB and wants to stay there is just before contract negotiations start.

How was the Q&A phrased? Because there could have been discussions weeks ago when Matthews and Rodgers were negotiating and Raji was saying there had been nothing substantial recently. Not sure if that changes the inference that there is a substantial gap between player and team.

Its a strange story to leak for the player, you would think his agent would want to play up the connection to the team and city and not focus on having to prove it.

rbaloha1
06-04-2013, 10:22 AM
This is the right move to motivate the fat pig that is underachieving.

Use the cap money for Shields and Jones.

Patler
06-04-2013, 10:22 AM
How was the Q&A phrased? Because there could have been discussions weeks ago when Matthews and Rodgers were negotiating and Raji was saying there had been nothing substantial recently. Not sure if that changes the inference that there is a substantial gap between player and team.

Its a strange story to leak for the player, you would think his agent would want to play up the connection to the team and city and not focus on having to prove it.

Ya, nothing conclusive, but somehow these things always tend to follow specific patterns; and this one is starting to look like one that might be a difficult negotiation.

In thinking more about it, it probably doesn't matter if there were discussions weeks ago or not. Breaking off discussions at the end of May, three months before the start of the season is not a good sign. It could be a ploy by the Packers to get Raji to come back closer to what GB has in mind by adding the element of doubt. Regardless, it still seems to suggest (not conclusively) that the negotiations were not making progress. Maybe GB's show of indifference will be the catalyst to more aggressive discussions later this summer, and they will still get it done.

Patler
06-04-2013, 10:30 AM
This is the right move to motivate the fat pig that is underachieving.

Use the cap money for Shields and Jones.

It kind of always perturbs me when I read about the player who, in his contract year, suddenly decides to "eat healthier", or work extra hard in the off-season. I have read both about Raji, It seems like contract year effort is rarely of the life-changing variety, and the player often reverts quickly to his old ways after getting his new contract from somebody.

Raji, Shields, Jones, Finley - hard to see how they can sign all of them.

Fritz
06-04-2013, 11:26 AM
It kind of always perturbs me when I read about the player who, in his contract year, suddenly decides to "eat healthier", or work extra hard in the off-season. I have read both about Raji, It seems like contract year effort is rarely of the life-changing variety, and the player often reverts quickly to his old ways after getting his new contract from somebody.

I imagine one of the factors the team considers is which players seem to be motivated more often than in just a contract year.

If I remember, James Jones did not amp up his offseason training to super-human levels until after he'd hit the free agent market, found himself mostly unwanted, and re-upped with the Pack.

I would imagine that Finley's future with the Pack depends in large part upon the shape he's in when he gets to camp and his attitude as well as his play; same for Shields.

And I've said several times that I just don't think Raji will re-up with the team. I don't think he really wants to. I have no solid proof, just a suspicion that he doesn't like the scheme or the town.

run pMc
06-04-2013, 12:22 PM
I just don't think Raji will re-up with the team. I don't think he really wants to. I have no solid proof, just a suspicion that he doesn't like the scheme

This.
For some reason I have the idea stuck in my head that he'd rather play 3 tech in a 4-3. Good player, somewhat miscast in Capers scheme IMO. You'd think by now they know how to best use him. I think he'll chase the money elsewhere and TT will spend the money elsewhere. If that's the case, I wish Raji well as long as he stays out of the NFCN.

rbaloha1
06-04-2013, 12:33 PM

Yup -- Cleditus Hunt, Joe Johnson, etc.

Brandon494
06-04-2013, 01:49 PM

Unless Finley has a break out season he is pretty much gone, same can be said for Tramon Williams contract. Rodgers new contract is huge but it is actually cap friendly, I could see us resigning 3 of the 4 without a problem.

wist43
06-04-2013, 02:04 PM
It's all on Capers, not Raji... If he plays Raji 46,843 snaps, and most of them are on the nose, or that stupid 2-4 he runs, then Raji will have another pedestrian year, and he'll be playing somewhere else next year.

It doesn't make sense to sign anyone on defense... we could be playing a completely different scheme next year, and then we're right back where we were with Kampman. Pickett and Raji are the only fat guys we have, and both of them could be gone next year.

RashanGary
06-04-2013, 02:11 PM
It's still up in the air. If Raji has a great year, the Packers have the franchise tag. He has potential to be more important than Jennings was to us and it's highly unlikely he'll command the same dollar amount. I don't think it's a given we lose him.

Let's see how he plays. I like Raji. I think he can be a big-time playmaker for us. He stops the run first, rushes 2nd. That's very different from a guy who gets to shoot gaps. It sounds like he's a little bit of improved hand-work away from getting sacks. Hand fighting, inside, takes a lot of experience and know-how. 3irty1 said it earlier, Raji plays a position where guys don't max out until later in their careers often times. Raji's best could still be to come.

If Raji has a so/so year, he's probably gone. The Packers truly don't play to his skillset like some teams will. If Raji takes yet another step and becomes a rare run stopping player who also gets sacks on his second effort, then he's probably worth top dollar to us too.

wist43
06-04-2013, 03:32 PM
It's still up in the air. If Raji has a great year, the Packers have the franchise tag. He has potential to be more important than Jennings was to us and it's highly unlikely he'll command the same dollar amount. I don't think it's a given we lose him.

Let's see how he plays. I like Raji. I think he can be a big-time playmaker for us. He stops the run first, rushes 2nd. That's very different from a guy who gets to shoot gaps. It sounds like he's a little bit of improved hand-work away from getting sacks. Hand fighting, inside, takes a lot of experience and know-how. 3irty1 said it earlier, Raji plays a position where guys don't max out until later in their careers often times. Raji's best could still be to come.

If Raji has a so/so year, he's probably gone. The Packers truly don't play to his skillset like some teams will. If Raji takes yet another step and becomes a rare run stopping player who also gets sacks on his second effort, then he's probably worth top dollar to us too.

What are the odds that Capers changes anything he did from last year??

After the season, all of the comments from the coaching staff led me to believe they think the problems were the players. Making comments to the effect that we needed height and length at DE - viola!!, TT takes Jones in the 1st round, and then promptly does nothing else to help the defense. It's as head-scratching as when we first went to the 3-4, and TT couldn't even be bothered to spend a few draft picks on actual 3-4 players... instead, he throws Kampman out at LOLB, and pushes the "ON" button.

Again, TT says all the time... he doesn't care if a player fits a scheme or not, all he cares about is if he is a good football player. Raji could end up lining up at CB if Capers and TT have their way.

No, if I were Raji, or any defensive player, I'd be looking for the first bus out of town. I think one of the reasons Woodson was let go was b/c he was beginning to speak out about Capers and his idiotic game plans and play calling.

I'd like Raji to stay, but not if it means that Capers stays... and if Capers stays, anything we do on defense with respect to players is a moot point anyway.

RashanGary
06-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Again, TT says all the time... he doesn't care if a player fits a scheme or not, all he cares about is if he is a good football player. Raji could end up lining up at CB if Capers and TT have their way.

I see what you're saying. Capers has coached a lot of good defenses with a lot of different types of personnel. The 2010 defense was a unique style defense. Matthews Woodson were his centerpieces. Capers only has one blue-chip defensive player. That's the problem IMO. That would be a problem for any DC.

Right now, envisioning a SB win, I envision our running game being better, Crosby being better and our defense getting a little better across the board. I'm not pinning it all on the defense. I hope the offense, defense and ST's all get a little better.

I'd love one more blue-chip defender to step forward. I don't know if that's going to happen though. We might have to win the SB with AR and Clay as our superstars and a lot of good players around them.

rbaloha1
06-04-2013, 04:13 PM
26 tackles and 0 tackles against the niners -- enough said.

wist43
06-04-2013, 05:55 PM
I see what you're saying. Capers has coached a lot of good defenses with a lot of different types of personnel. The 2010 defense was a unique style defense. Matthews Woodson were his centerpieces. Capers only has one blue-chip defensive player. That's the problem IMO. That would be a problem for any DC.

Right now, envisioning a SB win, I envision our running game being better, Crosby being better and our defense getting a little better across the board. I'm not pinning it all on the defense. I hope the offense, defense and ST's all get a little better.

Capers is perfectly capable of putting together a solid defense, and good week-in/week-out game plans - but seriously, at this stage of his coaching career (the bitter end) maybe he's searching for some sort of innovative genius immortality?? Playing traditional defenses isn't going to win him any innovation titles - "... let's try this; let's try lining up with 11 DB's; let's try rushing 1; let's try not covering anyone; on and on...

There's no rational explaination for why Capers has been playing the defenses he has - lack of talent notwithstanding.

Yes, I agree that TT, and the Packers have absolutely sucked at drafting defensive players, but playing sound, fundamental football is the remedy to a lack of talent - not trying to be creative and exotic... how many times have you been watching a game, and opposing receivers catch passes well downfield, without a single defender even on the screen??

The players walk off the field pointing fingers at each other... nobody knows what's going on out there - that's on Capers. The things he does are unsound.

I'd love one more blue-chip defender to step forward. I don't know if that's going to happen though. We might have to win the SB with AR and Clay as our superstars and a lot of good players around them.

I seriously doubt you'll be getting any blue chip players any time soon... Jones might be a blue chip player on another team, but certainly not for the Packers, having to play for Dom Capers. Were we 1 miscast DE away from being better than below average??

TT has had multiple chances to draft players that would go a long way to fixing the mess, but passes on good players that would shore up a weakness, for a chance at drafting bartenders that never turn out. When the dust settles, we still have the same mess - or worse, as in what happened in 2011.

We win the SB, but are a very flawed team. Any honest observer could tell that our front seven was a recipe for disaster going into the 2011 season - does TT do anything to help the defense in the 2011 draft?? Of course not... instead we got 2 1/2 players out of the entire draft - Cobb, House - and Green.

Everyone else was complete junk.

Our defense is completely dysfunctional - as it has been for quite a while. TT doesn't care, and Capers is senile... so we're stuck with the mess we have - at least for another year.

RashanGary
06-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Capers is perfectly capable of putting together a solid defense, and good week-in/week-out game plans - but seriously, at this stage of his coaching career (the bitter end) maybe he's searching for some sort of innovative genius immortality?? Playing traditional defenses isn't going to win him any innovation titles - "... let's try this; let's try lining up with 11 DB's; let's try rushing 1; let's try not covering anyone; on and on...

Wist, I think people argue with you rather than agree because you're so black and white about things. A bunch of the time, I'm pretty sure you're joking, but you joke about things you're sometimes very serious about, so it's hard to tell the difference.

That said, I agree with this part of your post. MM and DC are big-picture, creative types. I think you are too, for what that's worth. They are certainly guilty of trying to out-clever people. Capers 2010 defense was very special. I think defenses started copying us with the all nickle, all the time defense. But yeah, I do think it's possible Capers is addicted to that power, being smarter than everyone power.

I'd say he keeps it in check, but I get the feeling it's a weakness of his. YOu know what though, every single person, no matter how successful (Hoodie, Lombardi, EVERYONE) have character/personality quirks that keep them from being perfect. What weaknesses are OK? Every guy will have some of them, and it WILL hurt their job. That's just a fact.

wist43
06-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Wist, I think people argue with you rather than agree because you're so black and white about things. A bunch of the time, I'm pretty sure you're joking, but you joke about things you're sometimes very serious about, so it's hard to tell the difference.

That said, I agree with this part of your post. MM and DC are big-picture, creative types. I think you are too, for what that's worth. They are certainly guilty of trying to out-clever people. Capers 2010 defense was very special. I think defenses started copying us with the all nickle, all the time defense. But yeah, I do think it's possible Capers is addicted to that power, being smarter than everyone power.

I'd say he keeps it in check, but I get the feeling it's a weakness of his. YOu know what though, every single person, no matter how successful (Hoodie, Lombardi, EVERYONE) have character/personality quirks that keep them from being perfect. What weaknesses are OK? Every guy will have some of them, and it WILL hurt their job. That's just a fact.

I just see the situation on defense as utterly hopeless... we've been on this TT merry-go-round for years now. We got lucky and hot for that stretch of games that brought us a SB - but unless TT takes the blinders off, that really will be a one-fart wonder.

We're just not a very good football team after Rodgers and the receivers. I guess we're about average on defense - Capers drags us down to that. I like a lot of the players, but not all on the same roster, and not all attempting to play in that POS scheme Capers is putting out there. For whatever reason TT and the organization don't see it, or just don't care. I suspect they don't care.

Their focus is offensive football - and of course, inparticular, passing; that's what they strive to do well - everything else is incidental or a distraction. McCarthy has exactly nothing to do with the defense - nothing. It's all Dom. TT goes thru the entire 2011 draft, and only drafts 1 defensive player that has a shot to contribute (House).

How do you explain that?? Our defense was an obvious disaster waiting to happen - TT does nothing; our defense set league records for futility in '11 - McCarthy does nothing.

Then?? The silver-haired genius panics, and does an entire draft of defensive players that don't fit the scheme... WTF?? The defense again sucks major dick - McCarthy does nothing.

Then?? The silver-haired genius drafts another misfit toy in the first round, and ignores solutions to his defensive problems by trading back and taking more ballarina offensive linemen - again, WTF??

How do you explain any of that??

I have no idea how TT can look at his defense and do the things he does... call it ambivalence or indifference, I don't know what to call it. But TT certainly hasn't seemed too concerned about trotting an embarrassment of a defense out on the field.

I hate watch the Packers play defense as much as I hate watching the Patriots play offense - ick :shtf:

ThunderDan
06-04-2013, 10:33 PM
I just see the situation on defense as utterly hopeless... we've been on this TT merry-go-round for years now. We got lucky and hot for that stretch of games that brought us a SB - but unless TT takes the blinders off, that really will be a one-fart wonder.

Yeah, 19 in a row second most in NFL history to the Patriots 21.

wist43
06-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Yeah, 19 in a row second most in NFL history to the Patriots 21.

Lucky and hot... yeah, that about sums it up. We're a completely QB and WR driven team - those guys took off and played at an All-World level for a stretch of games; and the rest of the team did just enough.

Everyone has come back down to earth, TT is back to his turtle routine, we can't run block, we can't pass block, we can't stop the run, we can't stop the pass, and our DC has spray painted hair.

I think that about sums up the past 3 seasons ;)

RashanGary
06-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Lucky and hot... yeah, that about sums it up. We're a completely QB and WR driven team - those guys took off and played at an All-World level for a stretch of games; and the rest of the team did just enough.

Everyone has come back down to earth, TT is back to his turtle routine, we can't run block, we can't pass block, we can't stop the run, we can't stop the pass, and our DC has spray painted hair.

We had the #2 scoring defense in the league, I think #2 in yards too that year. And we played some really complete football teams in the post-season/superbowl. We were more than just a WR/QB team. Starks had fresh legs and ran alright too. And our ST's was pretty good, especially during that stretch when our punter really hit his stride as a player.

A lot more than AR and the WR's went right in that stretch, Wist. And that defense was good for more than a 4 or 5 game stretch. They were an elite defense that whole year.

It's like you didn't even watch that 2010 football team. They were good, man. Really good. Sacks, interceptions, great run defense, everything. They were good in every way.

NewsBruin
06-05-2013, 12:06 AM
If I were Raji, I'c be super-leery about playing for my next contract. It just seems that if he plays as instructed and structured in previous years of Capers' D, he's going to look like a plugger and space-eater, not the DL type that is going to get the best offers on the market. Also, there's the balance between not enough snaps to feature him and too many snaps to keep him effective.

I understand that MM, and theoretically, Dom Capers, keep the money side separate from the play-calling side, but I fear that someone (agent, family member, fellow NFLer) is going to get in his ear and tell him that he's not being used with 2014 in mind. I know as an overgeneralized group, we Rats take the "He should just shut up and celebrate anything he gets over veteran's minimum for the privilege to play for God's Favorite Athletic Club" for just about every free agent or free agent-to-be, but if it were me playing for next year's supper, that would be a heck of a mind game and a huge temptation to freelance if I thought it would pad my stats.

(Maybe he'll get a Dr's note from Dom Capers when he negotiates with other teams.)

Also, I'm below-skeptical whenever I read an athlete talk about "nutrition." Nutrition. Tauscher, please.

rbaloha1
06-05-2013, 12:08 AM

Super Bowl year was a lot of luck with free agents like Howard Green, Zombo playing exceeding well.

wist43
06-05-2013, 01:54 AM
Super Bowl year was a lot of luck with free agents like Howard Green, Zombo playing exceeding well.

Good grief, Bush had an interception, Zombo had a sack, and Green had the hurry, that led to the Collins pick and TD.

I'm gonna say those names again - Bush, Zombo, and Green. Do we even win that game without those 3?? And none of 'em is a legit, full time, from scrimmage player.

Lightning in a bottle.

wist43
06-05-2013, 02:02 AM
We had the #2 scoring defense in the league, I think #2 in yards too that year. And we played some really complete football teams in the post-season/superbowl. We were more than just a WR/QB team. Starks had fresh legs and ran alright too. And our ST's was pretty good, especially during that stretch when our punter really hit his stride as a player.

A lot more than AR and the WR's went right in that stretch, Wist. And that defense was good for more than a 4 or 5 game stretch. They were an elite defense that whole year.

It's like you didn't even watch that 2010 football team. They were good, man. Really good. Sacks, interceptions, great run defense, everything. They were good in every way.

The '10 defense was okay... I think that's where you have to start looking at Capers - he was in his 2nd year then?? third?? I don't remember.

The point would be, he played a lot more base 3-4, he had a lot better players in Woodson and Jenkins; and Green was the fat guy I've been calling for ever since. Even though Green wasn't going to be a long term answer - the position of fat guy, has to be pencilled into the roster, and it is up to TT to go find that guy. After Green left, and Jenkins left, TT did nothing.

We fell off very quickly from '10 to '11.

A combination of all those things... Capers MO with other teams, and the way he fades; losing some players that filled key needs, i.e. Green the fat guy, and Jenkins the tough penetrator that could also hold the edge; and TT doing nothing to replace the players that need to be on your roster to carry out those duties.

It's not like we can't disect what happened forensically - we all had quite a few arguments over TT doing nothing to replace Jenkins and Green.

smuggler
06-05-2013, 04:34 AM
Good grief, Bush had an interception, Zombo had a sack, and Green had the hurry, that led to the Collins pick and TD.

I'm gonna say those names again - Bush, Zombo, and Green. Do we even win that game without those 3?? And none of 'em is a legit, full time, from scrimmage player.

Lightning in a bottle.

Probably not, if you just assume that Driver, Shields, Williams, Collins, and Woodson will all be injured for stretches in that game.

If you're taking that roster into the game healthy and not mandating those injuries, it's probably a blow out win, even without Zombo, Green, and especially Bush.

pbmax
06-05-2013, 07:55 AM
If I were Raji, I'c be super-leery about playing for my next contract. It just seems that if he plays as instructed and structured in previous years of Capers' D, he's going to look like a plugger and space-eater, not the DL type that is going to get the best offers on the market. Also, there's the balance between not enough snaps to feature him and too many snaps to keep him effective.

I think its a little of both here. Despite what the source said about him getting more freedom to attack, I suspect they will ask him NOT to penetrate as much out of the base 3-4. Similar to the Vikings playoff game.

But he does get plenty of chances to rush the passer as part of a 4 man line. He might like to see his snaps come down, but that might be the only serious area of contention.

Or we could be in store for something new this year from Capers.

pbmax
06-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Wasn't 2010 the first year of nickel all the time? Or was that 2011?

Patler
06-05-2013, 08:48 AM

Yup -- Cleditus Hunt, Joe Johnson, etc.

I agree, Hunt is a good example of my complaint. He proclaimed to have a new attitude and commitment, etc. It lasted about one year.

Not sure that Joe Johnson is a good example, though. Johnson was a two-time Pro Bowl player, was All-Pro two years before coming to GB, and had been named the Comeback Player of the Year. Johnson was a very accomplished player throughout his career in New Orleans. He didn't just turn it up, or do anything different in his contract year, that I recall. He was on at least his third contract when he came to GB.

rbaloha1
06-05-2013, 09:13 AM

Lightning in a bottle.

Yup -- Bush was playing like an all pro from the line of scrimmage.

rbaloha1
06-05-2013, 09:15 AM
I agree, Hunt is a good example of my complaint. He proclaimed to have a new attitude and commitment, etc. It lasted about one year.

Not sure that Joe Johnson is a good example, though. Johnson was a two-time Pro Bowl player, was All-Pro two years before coming to GB, and had been named the Comeback Player of the Year. Johnson was a very accomplished player throughout his career in New Orleans. He didn't just turn it up, or do anything different in his contract year, that I recall. He was on at least his third contract when he came to GB.

JJ signed the Packer contract and restarted smoking dope.

Patler
06-05-2013, 09:45 AM
JJ signed the Packer contract and restarted smoking dope.

Ya, I remember the traffic stop. Described like a scene from a bad movie at the time! :smile: :smile:

RashanGary
06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Wasn't 2010 the first year of nickel all the time? Or was that 2011?

That's what I thought too, and I think other NFL teams started copying us after we won the SB that way. Woodson played like 75% of the snaps inside, meaning we played like 75% nickle because a LB never played CB.

Capers is still an innovator. The amount he played nickle was different, effective, and helped us win a championship.

wist43
06-05-2013, 12:33 PM
That's what I thought too, and I think other NFL teams started copying us after we won the SB that way. Woodson played like 75% of the snaps inside, meaning we played like 75% nickle because a LB never played CB.

Capers is still an innovator. The amount he played nickle was different, effective, and helped us win a championship.

My memory of that game is pretty fuzzy, as I was very sick at the time and ended up in the hospital the next day... that said, I went and looked at some highlights.

I don't think it a coincidence that, in the highlights I watched... we were much more effective with 3 man lines.

Take a look at Mendenhall's TD. 1st and goal from the 8, Spraypainted Hair comes out in a 2-4, and the Steelers laughed as Mendenhall scored pretty much untouched. On Mendenhall's fumble, 2nd and 2 from our 33 yd line, we had 4 down linemen on the field and stuffed the run.

When Capers started throwing more 2-4 out there, that's when Pittsburgh really started to move the ball.

mraynrand
06-05-2013, 01:02 PM

Ole Cleedeeus lost too much weight on the AbLounger

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/abloungeHunt.jpg

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/JJHunt.jpg

mraynrand
06-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Yup -- Bush was playing like an all pro from the line of scrimmage.

He just guessed right on that INT; Rapelisburger missed the open guy. Bush is totally lost in the secondary. I had a chance to watch him up close in the season ender versus Detroit in 2011. Guy plays with great heart and athleticism, but is absolutely clueless. He has no idea what he's doing. his failure as a db is entirely mental.

3irty1
06-05-2013, 01:28 PM
I think the fact that Raji will be playing out his final year is just a matter of numbers. The fact that he might play better is icing on the cake. Dude already makes a bunch of money and if he wants way more than 8M or so, you might as well just tag him for around 9. 2014 has a lot of deals to get done. Its probably best to get Shields and Burnett done for purposes of managing the cap. I seriously doubt a guy like Raji gets away. All the reasons you drafted him #9 overall are still true. You just don't let a big guy like this get away.

Cheesehead Craig
06-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Would Raji be better in a 4-3? He just seems to be a better player when asked to attack the backfield and a 4-3 would give him that more often. I think that perhaps his asking price is high on purpose so that way GB lets him walk to a team where he can play more the way he is better at.

pbmax
06-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Would Raji be better in a 4-3? He just seems to be a better player when asked to attack the backfield and a 4-3 would give him that more often. I think that perhaps his asking price is high on purpose so that way GB lets him walk to a team where he can play more the way he is better at.

He might be, but then you have asked your best player on D, Matthews, to change positions or change his role. Its going to be a weird fit either way.

Raji has done it. The question is whether he wishes to do it more often.

Cheesehead Craig
06-05-2013, 02:10 PM
He might be, but then you have asked your best player on D, Matthews, to change positions or change his role. Its going to be a weird fit either way.

Raji has done it. The question is whether he wishes to do it more often.

I don't expect the Packers to go to a 4-3 (even if it's my preferred defense). My comment was more directed that perhaps Raji would do better as a 4-3 DT and would rather play for a team that plays that scheme instead of in GB. His contract demands are aligned as such as to make the Packers really think hard if they want to pay him it. It would be a case of that he'll stay and play a position he's not overly crazy about but the Packers will have to pay him a premium to do it.

Just a thought about the situation.

rbaloha1
06-05-2013, 02:46 PM
I don't expect the Packers to go to a 4-3 (even if it's my preferred defense). My comment was more directed that perhaps Raji would do better as a 4-3 DT and would rather play for a team that plays that scheme instead of in GB. His contract demands are aligned as such as to make the Packers really think hard if they want to pay him it. It would be a case of that he'll stay and play a position he's not overly crazy about but the Packers will have to pay him a premium to do it.

Just a thought about the situation.

Raji is a much better 4-3 dt than a ng in the 3-4.