PDA

View Full Version : OTAs/Minicamp Week 3

pbmax
06-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Jolly Is Coming To Town

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h
And there you go. Thanks, Johnny. RT @JJolly97: Yep RT @jasonjwilde: I think #PackNation is wondering if you'll be at minicamp tomorrow.

swede
06-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Good deal.

Joemailman
06-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Jolly good!

pbmax
06-04-2013, 01:59 PM
All info from Twitter accounts of Wilde, Dougherty, Vandermause, Dunne and WesHod. Took entire Tweet if it was the only place I saw it.

Shields and Jolly present and in unis

Gary Andersen is at packers practice

PD says Jolly "Looks a little heavy but horribly so" which I take to be text speak for "not horribly so"

Starks, not Green, running with the ones early

Charles Johnson practicing, marking the official start of his Hall of Fame career at (checks Google) WR!

Dezman Moses back as well

PD: Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty
Packers not practicing: Boykin, Dorsey, Harris, House, Richardson, House, Bishop, Tretter, Sherrod, Boyd, Worthy, [Pickett out too]

pbmax
06-04-2013, 02:00 PM
This one is for Red: with House still out and Shields on 1st day back, JBush is at outside CB with Williams, Hayward is in slot

Ross getting reps in Cobb's spots with 2nd team and Harrell

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause
1h
Returning punts: Cobb, Nelson, Tramon Williams.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod
1h
Tavecchio and Crosby both good from 38,43 and 50...Tavecchio hit the 50 yarder strong, down the middle

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
… Tavecchio's 50-yarder would have been good from 60.

pbmax
Shields, later in team segment, gets the reps at CB replacing Buah

Moses leaves field with trainer (lower leg calf or shin)

McMillan gets blitz work

Tramon Williams nice coverage on Rodgers deep pass to Nelson in 7 on 7.

Rodgers. Cobb. Touchdown. In 7 on 7 drive. Makes it look easy. #Packers

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
McMillian (vs the first team), James Nixon (vs the second) both with impressive PD's in 7 on 7. McMillian broke up a bullet to Finley.

Harrell. Bostick. Touchdown pass in 7 on 7 drive. Nice grab by Bostick in front corner of end zone.

Starks running with No. 1 offense. Mike Neal standing up at OLB.

Starks had two fumbles I think, one to end practice and it seemed like another one earlier.

ThunderDan
All info from Twitter accounts of Wilde, Dougherty, Vandermause, Dunne and WesHod. Took entire Tweet if it was the only place I saw it.

Shields and Jolly present and in unis

Gary Andersen is at packers practice

PD says Jolly "Looks a little heavy but horribly so" which I take to be text speak for "not horribly so"

Starks, not Green, running with the ones early

Charles Johnson practicing, marking the official start of his Hall of Fame career at (checks Google) WR!

Dezman Moses back as well

PD: Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty
Packers not practicing: Boykin, Dorsey, Harris, House, Richardson, House, Bishop, Tretter, Sherrod, Boyd, Worthy, [Pickett out too]

House's injury must be worse than thought if mentioned twice on the not practicing list.

pbmax
06-04-2013, 02:06 PM
McCarthy's PC:

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m
MM says Finley looks "excellent." added weight, which is what MM wants. Stronger, more confidence.

pbmax
06-04-2013, 02:07 PM
House's injury must be worse than thought if mentioned twice on the not practicing list.

I think that might be shorthand for two separate injuries :)

Fritz
06-04-2013, 02:11 PM
I think that might be shorthand for two separate injuries :)

What is the word on Boykin's injury? I heard he had gotten hurt a couple days ago, but nothing on what it was or how serious.

Freak Out
06-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Sounds like Crosby is going to have to work for his job this summer.

Joemailman
06-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Some video of Jolly at practice today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csN7hQmImRA&feature=youtu.be

red
06-04-2013, 05:26 PM
This one is for Red: with House still out and Shields on 1st day back, JBush is at outside CB with Williams, Hayward is in slot

fuck this season, we're done

red
06-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Some video of Jolly at practice today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csN7hQmImRA&feature=youtu.be

he looks a little bit bigger in the gut, but not totally horrible for a guy who hasn't played in 3 years

still got some fast hands and a violet punch

Joemailman
06-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Johnny Jolly locker room Q & A.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Johnny-Jolly-blessed-to-be-back-with-the-Packers/9caf416d-0bf8-4dfc-aa27-6be208592920

RashanGary
06-04-2013, 11:19 PM
he looks a little bit bigger in the gut, but not totally horrible for a guy who hasn't played in 3 years

still got some fast hands and a violet punch

That was my thought too. He looked kind of agile on his feet too, for being so fat. We'll see. I did not expect to hear him sound so down-to-earth and real in his interview. Man, that guy seems to have really turned the corner. I don't care where he plays. I hope it works out for him.

pbmax
06-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Jolly said he weighed in at 340 lbs.

swede
06-04-2013, 11:25 PM

Maybe he can drop ten pounds and play OLB.

RashanGary
06-04-2013, 11:26 PM

Man, I hope he can get some really good work in the coming months. I can't imagine he wants to play at 340. I trust him, as a person, just listening to his interview. I do think he has it together. I hope he can get himself in good shape. He's a natural football player. His only huge challenge now is his body. I don't know how hard it is to get in football shape after that much time off. I know Reggie did it after a couple years in Carolina. He had a decent year for a guy pushing 40.

rbaloha1
06-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Man, I hope he can get some really good work in the coming months. I can't imagine he wants to play at 340. I trust him, as a person, just listening to his interview. I do think he has it together. I hope he can get himself in good shape. He's a natural football player. His only huge challenge now is his body. I don't know how hard it is to get in football shape after that much time off. I know Reggie did it after a couple years in Carolina. He had a decent year for a guy pushing 40.

Brilliant analysis from the self proclaimed genuis:clap::bow:

smuggler
06-05-2013, 12:03 AM
He was never much of a looker. Hopefully his knees are all the better for the rest.

rbaloha1
06-05-2013, 12:05 AM

Supports McGinn's writings.

smuggler
06-05-2013, 04:44 AM
:bs: Tell Bob we all said hi.

pbmax
06-05-2013, 07:59 AM
What is the word on Boykin's injury? I heard he had gotten hurt a couple days ago, but nothing on what it was or how serious.

He was praised by Bennett so without direct proof I think he is back and practicing.

Patler
06-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Starks had two fumbles I think, one to end practice and it seemed like another one earlier.

If Starks isn't careful, he might not even make it to TC with the Packers.

rbaloha1
06-05-2013, 09:11 AM
:bs: Tell Bob we all said hi.

Shall do:bclap:

Guiness
06-05-2013, 10:35 AM
If Starks isn't careful, he might not even make it to TC with the Packers.

I think of this when I hear his name

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM3NzA1MjM2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzY3MTMzNA@@._ V1_SX214_.jpg

RashanGary
06-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Can't make it today, guys. Have to be at work. Was gonna try though.

packers11
06-05-2013, 11:42 AM
per rotoworld.c.om

Coach Mike McCarthy said Jermichael Finley looks "excellent" so far this offseason.

After an extremely slow start last year, Finley satisfied coaches in the second half and produced 33 catches for 402 yards and one touchdown over the final eight games. He's building on that momentum as he heads into a contract year. "He's stronger. He's playing with more confidence," McCarthy said. "I really like the offseason that Jermichael has put together so far." At a very thin tight end position, Finley projects as a borderline fantasy starter.

run pMc
06-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Thought Boykin hurt his ankle in OTA's catching a deep pass?
Why is Boyd not practicing?

340 is on the heavy side for Jolly IMO; I think he'll shed that before/during training camp as he works into football shape. Didn't show a lot, but it looked like he was disengaging from blocks ok.

Joemailman
06-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Thought Boykin hurt his ankle in OTA's catching a deep pass?
Why is Boyd not practicing?

340 is on the heavy side for Jolly IMO; I think he'll shed that before/during training camp as he works into football shape. Didn't show a lot, but it looked like he was disengaging from blocks ok.

Jolly was listed at 320 on the 2009 opening day roster, and the Packers have him listed at 325. So he has 15-20 to lose. That shouldn't be a huge problem. Looked like he was moving okay.

Joemailman
06-05-2013, 04:26 PM
DuJuan Harris had a fist-sized cyst removed from his lung near his heart. He will miss the rest of the offseason workouts but will be back for training camp.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/210298471.html

pittstang5
06-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Holy Crap! Damn!

Patler
06-05-2013, 05:11 PM
If it was "next to his heart", from the picture it looks like they took the long way to get to it.

HarveyWallbangers
06-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Jolly was listed at 320 on the 2009 opening day roster, and the Packers have him listed at 325. So he has 15-20 to lose. That shouldn't be a huge problem. Looked like he was moving okay.

Kind of disappointing. I was hoping he'd be motivated with this second chance and he'd come into camp in tip top shape.

pbmax
06-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Now Harris should be really fast and have extra lung capacity.

swede
06-05-2013, 06:40 PM
DuJuan Harris had a fist-sized cyst removed from his lung near his heart. He will miss the rest of the offseason workouts but will be back for training camp.

It doesn't look too bad. It's probably good that they took it out when they did.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fSFhJvKceKc/TZtaXc2A2eI/AAAAAAAAA0I/D6Fg6fLMiTI/s1600/alien1.jpg

Patler
06-05-2013, 07:02 PM

Kind of disappointing. I was hoping he'd be motivated with this second chance and he'd come into camp in tip top shape.

A few thoughts:

- Comparing "roster weight" to what a player states is kind of an apples to oranges comparison. When the roster listed him at 320, he might well have been 330 or more. It's possible he is fairly close to his playing weight in 2009. Lots of the bigger guys (Pickett, for example) reportedly are much heavier than what the roster indicates.

- 10 to 15 pounds isn't much for those big guys.

- This isn't training camp yet. That is still almost 2 months away. He has time to get into better shape before the real work starts at training camp.

- It sounds like he had lots of lose ends to tie up with his probation, rehab, etc. He might not have really been able to focus on his training. That seems all to be behind him now and he can focus on football.

MadtownPacker
06-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Kind of disappointing. I was hoping he'd be motivated with this second chance and he'd come into camp in tip top shape.Count me the same as you except with all my teeth. Seems that a guy given what is likely his last shot at the NFL would care enough to give his best effort for everything.

Freak Out
06-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Cut the guy a little slack assholes......getting clean from the drank is like quitting smoking....you are going to add a few pounds along that path. :)

Joemailman
06-05-2013, 11:28 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/210310021.html

"It was actually pressing against his lung," said Harris' agent Dave Lee. "Now his lungs are open to breathe all the way again -- at 100% again. He should be able to get more oxygen in his body and have more endurance and be able to do more as a football player now."

Harris has dealt with the cyst on his lung his entire life. The cyst has always affected the running back without Harris ever knowing why.

"He didn't know about it," Lee said. "He said that as a kid, he'd feel pressure on his chest in the same area but he'd always chalk it up to indigestion or something like that. So it's a blessing in disguise and it actually may make him, physically, a better player.

"He'll get more oxygen into his body and be able to make more big plays."

Fritz
06-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Wow. Now DeJuan Harris is even more underdoggy.

I do wish Jolly had come in lighter, but I'm not panicked. If he shows up to training camp looking like a complete sloth, I'll be concerned. I'd like to see the guy make it.

Can he play the nose?

rbaloha1
06-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Now Harris should be really fast and have extra lung capacity.

Agent speak.

rbaloha1
06-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Looks fine to me.

Backup to Pickett an Raji, playing 10 -20 snaps.

pbmax
06-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Day 2 all rom Twitter feeds of Dunne, Dougherty, Vandermause, Wilde and WesHod

Dezman Moses out after leg injury yesterday

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 21h 
Also, Pickett, Boyd and Worthy

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 21h 
Here's what I have as non participants: Boykin, Dorsey, Johnson, Harris, Richardson, House, Moses, Bishop, Brad Jones, Tretter, Sherrod

Lattimore with the 1s and AJ Hawk at ILB with Jones and Bishop out

Dunne: a lot of work with screens with Green and Starks

Masthay puts kickoff attempt 5 yards deep

Worthy doing conditioning on sidelines, has not yet cut on his repaired knee

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 20h
Newhouse RT with No. 1 offense, Barclay with No. 2. Rest of No. 2 line: Bakhtiari LT, Datko LG, Van Roten C, Taylor LG.

Barclay later gets reps with the 1s

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 20h
Williams, Hayward CBs in No, 1 base D

Guiness
06-06-2013, 12:20 PM
They are experimenting with Datko at guard, are they? The Pack seems to love trying to convert college tackles to guards, seems to me that Datko is too 'long' to play guard. Is he near strong enough? I just don't see that working.

Masthay on kick offs???

Guiness
06-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Any timeline on Bishop?

Any chance Hawk, Bishop and Jones all make the team? All 3 are in the $4million/year range.

rbaloha1
06-06-2013, 01:24 PM
They are experimenting with Datko at guard, are they? The Pack seems to love trying to convert college tackles to guards, seems to me that Datko is too 'long' to play guard. Is he near strong enough? I just don't see that working.

Masthay on kick offs???

Interesting.

Maybe coaching staff is happy with Persian guy and Braclay as tackles.

Joemailman
06-06-2013, 04:07 PM
If Datko wants to make the team, he'll have to show he can play something other than LT. Hard to make the team as a backup at only 1 position. I too wonder though if he can get low enough to play Guard.

RashanGary
06-06-2013, 04:18 PM
If Datko wants to make the team, he'll have to show he can play something other than LT. Hard to make the team as a backup at only 1 position. I too wonder though if he can get low enough to play Guard.

I'm very curious to see Datko. I wouldn't say I expect big things out of him, but based on his college game and athletic numbers, there's really no ceiling that would surprise me.

A dream scenario would be Datko coming in and winning the RT job from Barclay/Newhouse. Then you could move Barclay inside to backup the two guard spots. Newhouse could backup the tackle spots, and you'd have developmental roster slots to go around. It would be really, really ideal if Sherrod or Datko stepped forward.

rbaloha1
06-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Any timeline on Bishop?

Any chance Hawk, Bishop and Jones all make the team? All 3 are in the $4million/year range.

Bishop needs to get back by training camp and takeout Hawk.

woodbuck27
06-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Johnny Jolly locker room Q & A.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Johnny-Jolly-blessed-to-be-back-with-the-Packers/9caf416d-0bf8-4dfc-aa27-6be208592920

He's impressive in that interview. His wind looks OK and he has to work hard on his core. He looked comfortable overall in practise for a man so long away from the game. He has natural ability and if he works his tail off he'll contribute to our DL.

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
06-06-2013, 07:47 PM

Ohh that's awful.

Fritz
06-06-2013, 08:29 PM
I am rooting for Johnny Jolly. Not because I like feel-good stories, but because I want the Packers to win the damn Super Bowl and if he can play like he did in '09 he would go a long way toward helping solidify the d-line. Knock down some passes, Johnny!

HarveyWallbangers
06-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Any timeline on Bishop?

I think it's very likely -- unless Bishop is a shell of himself.

HarveyWallbangers
06-12-2013, 12:09 AM
Good to read:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/young-players-impress-mike-mccarthy-b9931486z1-211147471.html

Quarterback AaronRodgers has been very cautious this offseason about not praising anyone too much. The team is not in full-contact practice and he's seen too many players who look good now fade in training camp.

But he broke away from that Tuesday when talking about Jones.

"I'm very confident that guys like Datone Jones are going to look even better in pads," said Rodgers. "He's had a great spring, he's been everything we were hoping for."

Fritz
06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
It's June. Why not?

RashanGary
06-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Quarterback AaronRodgers has been very cautious this offseason about not praising anyone too much. The team is not in full-contact practice and he's seen too many players who look good now fade in training camp.

But he broke away from that Tuesday when talking about Jones.

"I'm very confident that guys like Datone Jones are going to look even better in pads," said Rodgers. "He's had a great spring, he's been everything we were hoping for."

Datone seems like a very natural football player. Competitive, strong, knows how to make things happen. . . . . It would be a huge boost if him and Mike Neal had good years for us.

Fritz
06-12-2013, 05:20 PM
How true that is.

woodbuck27
06-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Ohh that's awful.

As we learn more of this it appears more a good thing now that this was diagnosed and in a state of repair. DuJuan Harris should feel like a new man.

PACKERS !

rbaloha1
06-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Datone seems like a very natural football player. Competitive, strong, knows how to make things happen. . . . . It would be a huge boost if him and Mike Neal had good years for us.

Jones -- yes

Neal aka fake tough guy -- hell no

rbaloha1
06-12-2013, 10:05 PM

Jones -- yes

Neal -- heck no

Fritz
06-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Here's something I've noticed in the past eight or nine months or so from McCarthy - this annoying dropping of subjects in sentences: "“Expectations for the run game, don’t have a number for you."

Has anyone else noticed this? Lines like "Didn't run the ball well. Passed well, had some opportunities to go deep. Need to run block better."

It's annoying as all get out, and I don't recall him doing that a year or two ago. I may have to imitate this style in a few posts of my own. Maybe I'll learn to like it.

Could even be fun.

swede
06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Here's something I've noticed in the past eight or nine months or so from McCarthy - this annoying dropping of subjects in sentences: "“Expectations for the run game, don’t have a number for you."

Has anyone else noticed this? Lines like "Didn't run the ball well. Passed well, had some opportunities to go deep. Need to run block better."

It's annoying as all get out, and I don't recall him doing that a year or two ago. I may have to imitate this style in a few posts of my own. Maybe I'll learn to like it.

Could even be fun.

We'll get that fixed. When? Don't know.

KYPack
06-13-2013, 12:15 PM

Masthay on kick offs???

Last year Datko was saying that moving him to RT messed him up, he had always been an LT in college.

So now they move him to G?

G & T are two totally different mentalities, espec in pass pro.

I think they are saying this is the only way he makes the club.

woodbuck27
06-13-2013, 12:36 PM

Could even be fun.

This may seem harsh but I believe in it all the same as there has to more in Mike McCarthy; with his excellent winning record set to the side.

It's called 'candy assing' it. Saying something and 'nothing', to save geting his ears pinned back with. It's next to being non-committal or saying little to nothing. You do NOT get the maximum respect of players from Mike McCarthy's style.

It's of 'mice or men'.

Mike McCarthy's style:

It's far away from what Vince Lombardi would have approved of in a Green Bay Packer HC.

Mike McCarthy has to get angry more often. Act like an Irishman and not simply display that last name. Demonstrate some true substance. That's the best way to get the absolute best out of all 53 men on his roster.

He needs to demonstrate 'a real and unique' Mike McCarthy. Take a page from Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers is showing me some growth and that in terms of the leadership his teammates need.

If MM doesn't get there. We'll not likely ever see that man be a HC for another Super Bowl winning team. Mike McCarthy has to demonstrate some more push. Not act so 'wishey washey'. Tie on a fricken pair. Be the man we need him to be as the green bay packer HC.

I mean this 'only' as constructive criticism. Mike McCarthy is obviously missing something and you 'only' go through this life once. He needs to pay a lot more attention to the lessons that Vince Lombardi has tried to teach us all.

GREEN BAY PACKERS and VINCE LOMBARDI !

Come on Mike McCarthy...GROW! This time and age isn't too late for 'YOU'

woodbuck27
06-13-2013, 01:09 PM
This may seem harsh but I believe in it all the same as there has to more in Mike McCarthy; with his excellent winning record set to the side.

It's called 'candy assing' it. Saying something and 'nothing', to save geting his ears pinned back with. It's next to being non-committal or saying little to nothing. You do NOT get the maximum respect of players from Mike McCarthy's style.

It's of 'mice or men'.

Mike McCarthy's style:

It's far away from what Vince Lombardi would have approved of in a Green Bay Packer HC.

Mike McCarthy has to get angry more often. Act like an Irishman and not simply display that last name. Demonstrate some true substance. That's the best way to get the absolute best out of all 53 men on his roster.

He needs to demonstrate 'a real and unique' Mike McCarthy. Take a page from Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers is showing me some growth and that in terms of the leadership his teammates need.

If MM doesn't get there. We'll not likely ever see that man be a HC for another Super Bowl winning team. Mike McCarthy has to demonstrate some more push. Not act so 'wishey washey'. Tie on a fricken pair. Be the man we need him to be as the green bay packer HC.

I mean this 'only' as constructive criticism. Mike McCarthy is obviously missing something and you 'only' go through this life once. He needs to pay a lot more attention to the lessons that Vince Lombardi has tried to teach us all.

Again ... in these words of Vince Lombardi it's so much this towords all that's important and WINNING:

Leadership

" ...“Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile.”

“It is essential to understand that battles are primarily won in the hearts of men. Men respond to leadership in a most remarkable way and once you have won his heart, he will follow you anywhere.”

“Leadership is based on a spiritual quality --- the power to inspire, the power to inspire others to follow.”

“Having the capacity to lead is not enough. The leader must be willing to use it.”

“Leadership rests not only upon ability, not only upon capacity – having the capacity to lead is not enough. The leader must be willing to use it. His leadership is then based on truth and character. There must be truth in the purpose and will power in the character.”

“A leader must identify himself with the group, must back up the group, even at the risk of displeasing superiors.

He must believe that the group wants from him a sense of approval.

If this feeling prevails, production, discipline, morale will be high, and in return, you can demand the cooperation to promote the goals of the community.” ..." Vince Lombardi

GO PACK GO !

ThunderDan
06-13-2013, 01:17 PM

It's of 'mice or men'.

Mike McCarthy's style:

In 2010 the Packers won the Super Bowl
In 2011 the Packers had the best regular season record
In 2012 we won the North for the 2nd straight year and won a playoff game

Yup, MM gets nothing out of his players and needs to grow.

Does he have room to improve? Yes but to question how he runs the team is silly.

woodbuck27
06-13-2013, 02:07 PM
In 2010 the Packers won the Super Bowl
In 2011 the Packers had the best regular season record
In 2012 we won the North for the 2nd straight year and won a playoff game

Yup, MM gets nothing out of his players and needs to grow.

Does he have room to improve? Yes but to question how he runs the team is silly.

Please...don't cloud a mere suggestion of a simple and decent concept of living a life ... to it's fullest.

" Does he have room to improve? Yes but to question how he runs the team is silly. " ThunderDan

Isn't there a contradiction in your response above?

How Mike McCarthy runs the team from here on out, is depended on his improvement, which takes a concerted effort on his own part to certainly grow as a leader. What he did yesterday is merely a measure of encouragement for what he needs to do for today/tomorrow.

Mike McCarthy can never get too ... 'good enough'.

Mike McCarthy needs to project the fact of his growing as a man. That has to come through in his actions and by what he says that to me is clearly missing something. I measure Mike McCarthy at a different standard than you because of my age and experience.

No man should ever live with... 'it's good enough'.

Mike McCarthy certainly needs to grow. I believe that he would be remiss to not agree. Never as naïvely arrogant too not strive for such.

I wonder if MM has a pic of Vince Lombardi on his wall? A framed copy of some of Vince Lombardi's most generous quotes? If I might give good advice to MM I would certainly recommend that. To look at that Pic of Vince Lombardi and those quotes ... too often. :-)

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
06-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Please...don't cloud a mere suggestion of a simple and decent concept of living a life ... to it's fullest.

" Does he have room to improve? Yes but to question how he runs the team is silly. " ThunderDan

Isn't there a contradiction in your response above?

How Mike McCarthy runs the team from here on out, is depended on his improvement, which takes a concerted effort on his own part to certainly grow as a leader. What he did yesterday is merely a measure of encouragement for what he needs to do for today/tomorrow.

Mike McCarthy can never get too ... 'good enough'.

Mike McCarthy needs to project the fact of his growing as a man. That has to come through in his actions and by what he says that to me is clearly missing something. I measure Mike McCarthy at a different standard than you because of my age and experience.

No man should ever live with... 'it's good enough'.

Mike McCarthy certainly needs to grow. I believe that he would be remiss to not agree. Never as naïvely arrogant too not strive for such.

I wonder if MM has a pic of Vince Lombardi on his wall? A framed copy of some of Vince Lombardi's most generous quotes? If I might give good advice to MM I would certainly recommend that. To look at that Pic of Vince Lombardi and those quotes ... too often. :-)

GO PACK GO !

ThunderDan I'll add this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/jerry-kramer-channels-his-inner-facenda/

Jerry Kramer channels his inner Facenda

Posted by Mike Florio on June 13, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT

" ...“One of his (Vince Lombardi's) favorite sayings was,

‘All the rings, all the color, all the money, all the display, all the trophies linger only in a memory for a short time and are soon gone but the will to win, the will to excel, these are the things that endure and these are the things that are far more important than any of the events that occasion them. So develop in you the will to win, the will to excel.’” ..." Fr. LINK above

Comment woodbuck27:

In simple words 'we cannot live today on past laurels'.

GO PACK GO !

run pMc
06-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks for sharing the quotes Woodbuck.

I think that McCarthy certainly has earned respect from fans and players. Winning a SB is no easy task, especially as a wildcard team with what was considered an outlandish number of injuries/IR'd players.
As they say, "it's a business" and a "what have you done for me lately" league, so a little bit of urgency this year would be welcomed. McCarthy has worked with TT to develop a team that has reached a level of excellence that requires a lot to sustain, and one many fanbases only dream about.

Fritz -- I'm looking forward to the clipped posts.

pbmax
06-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Why should fans care one iota how the coach answers questions publicly? Its the relationship with the players that matters.

McCarthy himself has spoken about keeping himself in check in order to be most effective. He's clearly an emotional coach whether that appears in press conference transcripts or not.

Do Belichick or Dungy strike anyone as angry in public? Does anyone doubt that in the 24/7 cable sports news cycle that Lombardi would court reporters differently if he were still coaching today?

Does anyone who posts Lombardi quotes know whether the material they post was used in a locker room or a paid public speech?

woodbuck27
06-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks for sharing the quotes Woodbuck.

I think that McCarthy certainly has earned respect from fans and players. Winning a SB is no easy task, especially as a wildcard team with what was considered an outlandish number of injuries/IR'd players.
As they say, "it's a business" and a "what have you done for me lately" league, so a little bit of urgency this year would be welcomed. McCarthy has worked with TT to develop a team that has reached a level of excellence that requires a lot to sustain, and one many fanbases only dream about.

Fritz -- I'm looking forward to the clipped posts.

I certainly believe we're all pulling for Mike McCarthy. The HC for a second Super Bowl win puts him in elite company as a Green Bay Packer. I hope he does all it will take to get there.

There can be no greater influence to that end, then allowing Vince Lombardi's quotes and otherwise leadership ways and manners strongly influence anyone. That overall influence will 'in fact' help take Mike Mccarthy to where Vince would desire for him. Elite status as a Green Bay Packer HC.

Good enough ... is never enough... among professionals. Never enough for Packer fans that crave for Championships for a distinctly proud organization:

THE GREEN BAY PACKERS !

Come on Mike McCarthy ... get errrr done. Do what would make Vince Lombardi proud.

GO PACK GO !

Pugger
06-15-2013, 08:51 AM
I believe Mac is underrated nationally and by Packer fans. His record of success since he's been here is excellent. I fear we have become spoiled.

packer4life
06-16-2013, 05:07 AM
Again ... in these words of Vince Lombardi it's so much this towords all that's important and WINNING:

Leadership

" ...“Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile.”

“It is essential to understand that battles are primarily won in the hearts of men. Men respond to leadership in a most remarkable way and once you have won his heart, he will follow you anywhere.”

“Leadership is based on a spiritual quality --- the power to inspire, the power to inspire others to follow.”

“Having the capacity to lead is not enough. The leader must be willing to use it.”

“Leadership rests not only upon ability, not only upon capacity – having the capacity to lead is not enough. The leader must be willing to use it. His leadership is then based on truth and character. There must be truth in the purpose and will power in the character.”

“A leader must identify himself with the group, must back up the group, even at the risk of displeasing superiors.

He must believe that the group wants from him a sense of approval.

If this feeling prevails, production, discipline, morale will be high, and in return, you can demand the cooperation to promote the goals of the community.” ..." Vince Lombardi

GO PACK GO !

Honestly, this post rambles and has bold type in random places.