PDA

View Full Version : QBs drafted in 2007

Guiness
06-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Jamarcus Russel is being brought in for a tryout in Chicago (please, please please let this happen! I've been good...) and I saw a comment that despite being a massive bust, he is probably the best QB out of the 2007 class!

I couldn't believe it, so went looking. Here are the QBs from that draft:
JaMarcus
Brady Quinn
Kevin Kolb
John Beck
Drew Stanton
Trent Edwards
Jeff Rowe
Troy Smith
Jordan Palmer
Tyler Thigpen

So...JaMarcus has the most starts from that group, but I'll chalk that up to draft status. That makes Kevin Kolb or Trent Edwards is the pick of that litter I guess? Not a good year to be looking for a quarterback!

smuggler
06-05-2013, 12:11 AM
Scary to think that Kolb is hands-down the best from that group. If his brains weren't always scrambled, he might not be that bad of a player, really.

Carolina_Packer
06-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Jamarcus Russel is being brought in for a tryout in Chicago (please, please please let this happen! I've been good...) and I saw a comment that despite being a massive bust, he is probably the best QB out of the 2007 class!

JaMarcus
Brady Quinn
Kevin Kolb
John Beck
Drew Stanton
Trent Edwards
Jeff Rowe
Troy Smith
Jordan Palmer
Tyler Thigpen

So...JaMarcus has the most starts from that group, but I'll chalk that up to draft status. That makes Kevin Kolb or Trent Edwards is the pick of that litter I guess? Not a good year to be looking for a quarterback!

Not exactly the class of 1983 is it? :-) Weird to think that nobody from the same QB class made it long-term. You'd think one player in a group that big would.

Fritz
06-06-2013, 06:34 AM

JaMarcus
Brady Quinn
Kevin Kolb
John Beck
Drew Stanton
Trent Edwards
Jeff Rowe
Troy Smith
Jordan Palmer
Tyler Thigpen

Brady Quinn's name always triggers a memory of that draft - one of the few times I was right and TT was wrong. It was obvious Cleveland was nearly desperate to trade up to get Quinn, and apparently offered GB their first rounder (was it 23? Not sure), their second, plus their next year's first. I wanted so badly for TT to take that trade. Get an extra second and set yourself up like Belichek does in NE with two firsts the following year - one probably pretty high up in the first.

But no. TT took some guy named Justin Harrell.

Guiness
06-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Brady Quinn's name always triggers a memory of that draft - one of the few times I was right and TT was wrong. It was obvious Cleveland was nearly desperate to trade up to get Quinn, and apparently offered GB their first rounder (was it 23? Not sure), their second, plus their next year's first. I wanted so badly for TT to take that trade. Get an extra second and set yourself up like Belichek does in NE with two firsts the following year - one probably pretty high up in the first.

But no. TT took some guy named Justin Harrell.

I don't know how you could turn down a first rounder from a perenial loser like Cleveland!!! You have to know it's going to be a top 10 pick, minimum.

Actually, I can think of one reason...before this latest CBA, I would rather NOT of had a top 10 choice? Fraught with disaster, that is.

Patler
06-06-2013, 08:40 AM
2006 didn't turn out so good either:

1 3 Vince Young
1 10 Matt Leinart
1 11 Jay Cutler
2 49 Kellen Clemens
2 64 Tarvaris Jackson
3 81 Charlie Whitehurst
3 85 Brodie Croyle QB
5 148 Ingle Martin QB
5 164 Omar Jacobs QB
6 194 Bruce Gradkowski
7 223 D.J. Shockley

Cutler and not much else.

Bossman641
06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Remember when there were calls for TT to draft Quinn over fear Rodgers wouldn't turn out?

Guiness
06-06-2013, 12:07 PM
2006 didn't turn out so good either:

1 3 Vince Young
1 10 Matt Leinart
1 11 Jay Cutler
2 49 Kellen Clemens
2 64 Tarvaris Jackson
3 81 Charlie Whitehurst
3 85 Brodie Croyle QB
5 148 Ingle Martin QB
5 164 Omar Jacobs QB
6 194 Bruce Gradkowski
7 223 D.J. Shockley

Cutler and not much else.

At least 1!

No one else on the list had lasting success, but at VY did make a Pro Bowl, Gradkowski and Jackson were starters. Poor class, but certainly better than '07.

Leinart is interesting, obviously never lived up to his promise, but so far has stuck around, he was with Oakland last year. Is he a decent clipboard holder? He is unsigned so far this year.

Fritz
06-06-2013, 03:02 PM
At least 1!

No one else on the list had lasting success, but at VY did make a Pro Bowl, Gradkowski and Jackson were starters. Poor class, but certainly better than '07.

Leinart is interesting, obviously never lived up to his promise, but so far has stuck around, he was with Oakland last year. Is he a decent clipboard holder? He is unsigned so far this year.

I wonder if some of these guys get so used to the clipboard job that they kinda hope they never have to go into the game. Easy paycheck, y'know?

Guiness
06-06-2013, 03:24 PM
I wonder if some of these guys get so used to the clipboard job that they kinda hope they never have to go into the game. Easy paycheck, y'know?

It used to be guys could make a long career out of it, when most teams carried 3 QBs. I haven't looked, but it seems to me that carrying just 2 into the season is commonplace now, so there is no emergency QB that can be a game day inactive but can be pressed into duty. Given that, I think this line from Leinart's wiki dooms him: " Leinart has suffered three season-ending injuries (2006, 2007, 2011) within his last 8 starts". That seems to happen a lot though, we've seen it twice in GB, with both Pederson and Rodgers going down for teh season after stepping in for Favre.

Smidgeon
06-06-2013, 03:48 PM
It used to be guys could make a long career out of it, when most teams carried 3 QBs. I haven't looked, but it seems to me that carrying just 2 into the season is commonplace now, so there is no emergency QB that can be a game day inactive but can be pressed into duty. Given that, I think this line from Leinart's wiki dooms him: " Leinart has suffered three season-ending injuries (2006, 2007, 2011) within his last 8 starts". That seems to happen a lot though, we've seen it twice in GB, with both Pederson and Rodgers going down for teh season after stepping in for Favre.

If I remember the stat correctly, there were six games that Favre couldn't finish due to injury. In three of them, his backup succumbed to a season ending injury. The first one must've been years before Pederson.