PDA

View Full Version : PIMPING STOCKS

Pages : 1 [2] 3

call_me_ishmael
09-05-2020, 10:40 AM
But so many people have tried to make the same product Zoom makes and have not been great at it. Slack, Hangouts, Skype, GoToMeeting, WebEx, etc all were earlier entrants and just not nearly as good. Zoom consistently works every time. That’s the differentiator.

Patler
09-05-2020, 10:41 PM
But so many people have tried to make the same product Zoom makes and have not been great at it. Slack, Hangouts, Skype, GoToMeeting, WebEx, etc all were earlier entrants and just not nearly as good. Zoom consistently works every time. That’s the differentiator.

That's not really much of a differentiator. In my experience, Zoom does not work consistently every time. I have used it at least 2-3 times each week since March, and have had issues with it from time to time. Others I have talked to are not committed to it either. Like me, they use it because it is the most popular right now, and probably the best right now to our knowledge, but we have no loyalty to it. I will willingly try others, because I think there is room for improvement.

call_me_ishmael
09-05-2020, 11:07 PM
That's not really much of a differentiator. In my experience, Zoom does not work consistently every time. I have used it at least 2-3 times each week since March, and have had issues with it from time to time. Others I have talked to are not committed to it either. Like me, they use it because it is the most popular right now, and probably the best right now to our knowledge, but we have no loyalty to it. I will willingly try others, because I think there is room for improvement.

Fair enough. So I've worked remotely 100% the past 5 years, and at least 50% the past 10 years. In my experience of taking at least ~3-4 hours of zoom calls per work day, Zoom is by far the best in my opinion. It is really, really good compared to the others in my opinion. In my opinion, the only thing that could sink them presently is continued flirtation with China and if they decide data needs to get be stored or routed through China is which case many US companies would jump ship.

Patler
09-06-2020, 12:35 AM
Fair enough. So I've worked remotely 100% the past 5 years, and at least 50% the past 10 years. In my experience of taking at least ~3-4 hours of zoom calls per work day, Zoom is by far the best in my opinion. It is really, really good compared to the others in my opinion. In my opinion, the only thing that could sink them presently is continued flirtation with China and if they decide data needs to get be stored or routed through China is which case many US companies would jump ship.

I actually started working remotely 50% of the time in 1999, when virtually no one was doing it. One week at home, next week in the office. That quickly evolved to all at home except a few days each month in the office. By 2005 or so, I went to the office a day or two just a couple times a year.

Initially we had some sort of conferencing "system" that I do not even recall the name of. It was a real pain in the ass, so I seldom used it. Some of us had clunky old cameras clamped on to our monitors; the office had a conference room with cameras. I found conference telephone calls, with concurrently transmitted emails for documents worked just as well.

At some point we used "Google Go to Meeting" (is that the right name??), also something from Microsoft I think, and then Skype. There were others, too. My work didn't require me to use it more than a few times a week. I use Zoom now much more than I ever used the others, more for family/personal reasons than for business/volunteer purposes.

What I was an early, very heavy user of was voice recognition software, probably because my typing is poor and dictating/transcription was cumbersome working remotely. For a short time I emailed audio files to my support staff for transcription, but it took forever to send even just an hour or so of dictation. I became a very early user of Dragon Naturally Speaking, when it only worked well if you paused after each word. That quickly improved. Found it to be fantastic.

SkinBasket
09-09-2020, 07:17 AM
Any ideas on where to stick some money? Sold MGM right before COVID at 3x what I paid, so turned that around into AMD at 52, which we dumped at 91. Bought the wife a Mercedes and putting a roof on the house, but haven't found anything interesting since to spend the leftovers. We have plenty of long term safe holdings, just looking for something fun. Maybe I should just buy more farm equipment to offset taxes.

Bretsky
09-10-2020, 10:03 PM
Any ideas on where to stick some money? Sold MGM right before COVID at 3x what I paid, so turned that around into AMD at 52, which we dumped at 91. Bought the wife a Mercedes and putting a roof on the house, but haven't found anything interesting since to spend the leftovers. We have plenty of long term safe holdings, just looking for something fun. Maybe I should just buy more farm equipment to offset taxes.

CRWD= Crowdstrike I bought more the other day; they recently came out with great earnings.

SPCE is a very interesting stock; read about it. Not sure how much I love that one but long term I think CRWD will be huge.

call_me_ishmael
09-11-2020, 12:07 AM
Bretsky you'll like this thread.

https://twitter.com/patio11/status/1304277229090684929

Freak Out
09-11-2020, 12:16 AM

Alaska Airlines. Gotta hold it though.

Freak Out
09-11-2020, 12:19 AM
I bought a bunch of ConocoPhillips and other oil sector stuff when it bottomed.

Bretsky
09-11-2020, 05:58 PM
Bretsky you'll like this thread.

https://twitter.com/patio11/status/1304277229090684929

THANK YOU !!!

I track all of these and love seeing that on CRWD as well.

So what price should I enter Apple and MSFT at ???

SkinBasket
09-12-2020, 07:54 AM
Wasn't Crowdstrike a part of the whole Russian collusion thing? I don't want any money in Hillary's friends hands or at risk of a federal investigation.

SPCE, and AKA, don't fit so well, as I've already got a big pile of BA stock from when it bottomed out.

COP might have enough of an upside yet. I still have some Sony stock from like 15 years ago to let go of soon and could add that to the mix.

Was looking at NATR the other day, but thought of that idea too late it looks like. Other than that, just waiting on AGRX to take off. Girls like birth control and most of them are sluts these days.

Bretsky
09-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Probably, but CRWD is young and just IPO'd a year ago. In that space I love CRWD and Palo Alto Networks. What is AGRX ?

Patler
09-12-2020, 01:22 PM
Other than that, just waiting on AGRX to take off. Girls like birth control and most of them are sluts these days.

I have considered AGRX off and on the last couple years, but never bought any. Now that they received FDA approval for their patch it could take off. But, I have had a number that have fallen flat on their faces trying to commercialize approved drugs that looked to have significant advantages.

Is AGRX trying to go it on their own, or are they looking to license their patch?

SkinBasket
09-14-2020, 07:13 AM
Bretsky, AGRX got FDA approval for a long term patch for women’s birth control. I just bought in because their name for it, Twirla, sounds to me like a genius marketing stroke that will blow up the young black market. Like grape jelly. P, I’m not sure to an answer to your question as my “research,” as you can see, never goes that deep, but has worked out grandly for me. If only I was as good at horse races.

call_me_ishmael
09-17-2020, 11:47 PM
https://twitter.com/jonsakoda/status/1306605051511668736

If AWS were a public stock, it would trade for ~$2-4 trillion at the high end of today’s cloud multiples

Amazon is worth ~$1.5 trillion today

Even when tech valuations are at all time highs, AWS somehow always seems undervalued

Meanwhile Snowflake has 1200 new multi-millionaires and I've never heard of it, lol! This is why I am long AMZN. The largest cloud provider + the largest retailer = it is comically undervalued right now.

Bretsky
09-18-2020, 04:59 PM
I know of the Snow and loved the stock; but it opened to the public at 245, which was ludicrous

call_me_ishmael
09-23-2020, 10:24 AM
Microsoft fighting Zoom hard here.

https://twitter.com/mikemaccana/status/1308747129620434944

The data doesn't suggest that most people use Macs, but I certainly get the impression that most people that use computers a lot use Macs so not overly worried about it one way or another. Of course, I'm in a programmer bubble so I haven't known anyone using a Dell or an HP in at least 8 years.

Freak Out
09-23-2020, 06:14 PM
Yep...you are in a bubble Dan.

Bretsky
09-23-2020, 08:54 PM
AGX
WITH THE DIP THINING OF TAKING A POSITION SKINNNNN

call_me_ishmael
09-23-2020, 09:26 PM
What I wouldn’t give to get some Stripe before the inevitable IPO. Will be the biggest IPO ever by a county mile I https://twitter.com/BrandonReeves08/status/1308847653405577218?s=20

call_me_ishmael
09-23-2020, 11:37 PM
https://twitter.com/profgalloway/status/1308599076661927936

Freak Out
09-25-2020, 08:58 AM
The $$$ will pour in. (Stripe)

call_me_ishmael
09-25-2020, 09:43 AM
The $$$ will pour in. (Stripe)

Wouldn't shock me if Stripe is in the top 5 biggest companies in the world in 20 years.

call_me_ishmael
09-28-2020, 04:46 PM
Stripe is so big now they are actually an early stage investor.

Gimme that Stripe stock plzz I want it so badly.

https://twitter.com/iamFPlaza/status/1310409964452638721

Freak Out
11-09-2020, 08:57 PM
What a day.

call_me_ishmael
11-09-2020, 09:46 PM
Heh, I lost ~3% today. Good day for non-tech though. Great call on AMD. They sure smoked Intel. I will be very eager to see how the ARM Mac's are tomorrow. If Qualcomm or TI or whomever can ever get their shit together, Intel is gonna go the way of the buffalo.

Patler
11-10-2020, 04:18 AM
Heh, I lost ~3% today. Good day for non-tech though. Great call on AMD. They sure smoked Intel. I will be very eager to see how the ARM Mac's are tomorrow. If Qualcomm or TI or whomever can ever get their shit together, Intel is gonna go the way of the buffalo.

I was similar, but not quite as bad. Up a tiny 0.03% due to tech and stay at home stocks not doing well on Monday. Can't complain, as those same stocks are the primary reasons I am up very nicely overall, YTD. I am glad to see some of my laggards catching up. The stocks down on Monday will recover soon enough.

Freak Out
11-10-2020, 09:50 AM
I bought a bunch of airline, travel and energy stuff on the big dip and it killed it.

Bretsky
11-11-2020, 05:18 PM
I bought a bunch of airline, travel and energy stuff on the big dip and it killed it.

What goodies did you buy ?

I am looking for entry points to buy more MSFT, AAPL, PINS, and QCOM, and BABA

I thought we would have a couple more down days and planned on making some buys Thursday or Friday

I have lost some faith in Rocket Mortgage but I want to see how earnings comes in for them

I've lost some faith in Zinga and Vroom as well

I want to take new positions in ROKU

Freak Out
11-11-2020, 07:51 PM
I bought Alaska Airlines, United at half their high before the pandemic. USO, COP and XOM at the same. Bought some cruise line mix. Even bought Movie Theater. I was a bit worries United would fail but they should make it out.

Freak Out
11-11-2020, 07:52 PM
My wife and I cashed out of Alaska before the pandemic at around $70 and bought back at a bit over $20.

Freak Out
11-11-2020, 07:55 PM
Airlines and oil are still cheap historically. It's pretty insane that oil is as high as it is still. Imagine when things get rolling.

Freak Out
11-11-2020, 07:56 PM
Pfizer saved us.

call_me_ishmael
11-13-2020, 02:13 PM
I should probably buy some United Airline stock, right?

Freak Out
11-13-2020, 07:46 PM
Airline stocks are historically cheap. Just plan on holding for a bit.

Freak Out
11-13-2020, 07:47 PM
Oil is a little closer to call but still a safe bet at these prices.

Bretsky
11-14-2020, 04:53 PM
Oil is a little closer to call but still a safe bet at these prices.

What are some of the favorite underdogs ?

Norweign Cruise Lines ?

Freak, do you like Alaska Airlines better than the rest ?

Favorite Oil Stocks ?

Last two stocks I bought recently were PLUG and GRWG (my first POT stock)

Tony Oday
11-16-2020, 01:58 PM
Absolutely crushed NIO, bought this stock at $11.20 a share in my side account, main investments go through my financial advisor, and it it at $44.88 at the moment. It has been an awesome ride. Should be able to put the kid through college with this one stock. Then I can give him his IRA when he turns 30 so he has a HUGE head start in life.

Tony Oday
11-16-2020, 02:02 PM
What are some of the favorite underdogs ?

Norweign Cruise Lines ?

Freak, do you like Alaska Airlines better than the rest ?

Favorite Oil Stocks ?

Last two stocks I bought recently were PLUG and GRWG (my first POT stock)

Plug is a solid long play.

Bretsky
11-16-2020, 07:21 PM
Absolutely crushed NIO, bought this stock at $11.20 a share in my side account, main investments go through my financial advisor, and it it at $44.88 at the moment. It has been an awesome ride. Should be able to put the kid through college with this one stock. Then I can give him his IRA when he turns 30 so he has a HUGE head start in life.

NICE JOB !!!!!!!!!!! I actually started watching it as 5, and pussied out and never bought it.

What else are you buying and/or looking at ?

Bretsky
11-16-2020, 07:23 PM

My top is SQ; I bought at 13 and am riding that baby til the end. I always love taking some long shots and it's great if you can hit a few home runs like you did with NIO !!

SkinBasket
11-17-2020, 08:02 AM
AGX
WITH THE DIP THINING OF TAKING A POSITION SKINNNNN

Lol, I don’t even know what this means, but I’m thinking you were drinking.

Freak, thanks for the COP suggestion. I forgot to buy anything for like a month fucking around with other stuff, but when I did, got it at 28.25. Still probably going to drop Sony, so I’m all ears to more ideas. Probably going to wait until this president stuff is settled though to see which sectors to explore on the buying end.

Tony Oday
11-17-2020, 11:56 AM
Right now, and again this is in a Robinhood Account just side fun money, started with $8300 in deposits over 2 years starting December. I lost BIG on PG&E and PIR which sucked. I bought NIO because it is a luxury Chinese Brand that has Batteries as a Service and other Tech that I like.

Right now I have PLUG on a 2 month Call Option thats up, Carnival Cruise Lines on a 01/22 Call option that I REALLY like, Ideanomics which does financial services for commercial electric vehicles and its cheap, took a flier on it and bought 200 shares at .85 a share it could go big or crap out. My FAVORITE one right now is I have 2,195 shares in Zomedica, all I really know is that it is a Vet support company that should go to $2-$3 end of 2021, got that tip from a day trader friend of mine. Again it could crap out but with NIO making me $13k in the last 3 months I can afford to take the risks.

Not a fan of airline stocks because of their unions, staying away from US Auto Stocks because of Unions, but I see support in the "vacation" stocks when this "pandemic" is no longer newsworthy.

Tony Oday
11-17-2020, 12:03 PM
My top is SQ; I bought at 13 and am riding that baby til the end. I always love taking some long shots and it's great if you can hit a few home runs like you did with NIO !!

Hope you bought a ton of it! I am riding NIO to $2k then cashing out ;)

call_me_ishmael
11-17-2020, 02:48 PM
Personally, I am not a big fan of buying Chinese companies. More than likely they steal all of American IP to make their stuff. That's not right.

Freak Out
11-18-2020, 12:27 AM
Most of the travel sector will bounce back big if they survive this stretch...union shops or not. If you can triple or quadruple value in 16 months I'm down.

call_me_ishmael
11-18-2020, 10:10 AM
I just bought 15K of UAL. Let's hope it's 30K in a year or two.

Tony Oday
11-18-2020, 11:46 AM
I just bought 15K of UAL. Let's hope it's 30K in a year or two.

Not a huge fan of UAL, They rely more on international and business travelers compared to other US Carriers and business travel recovers slower than personal travel. AAL at least has a newer air fleet. I have always been partial to Delta but that is because I am in MN :)

Tony Oday
11-18-2020, 11:52 AM
But all that said I really hope you triple your money!

call_me_ishmael
11-18-2020, 02:56 PM
Not a huge fan of UAL, They rely more on international and business travelers compared to other US Carriers and business travel recovers slower than personal travel. AAL at least has a newer air fleet. I have always been partial to Delta but that is because I am in MN :)

Who are the big domestic airlines that will go up? I am happy to sell it and buy something else, I don't really care about the stock beyond I generally fly united 'cause it's convenient out of Milwaukee.

Tony Oday
11-19-2020, 04:20 PM
Who are the big domestic airlines that will go up? I am happy to sell it and buy something else, I don't really care about the stock beyond I generally fly united 'cause it's convenient out of Milwaukee.

Delta feels like the best but I usually get burned by them, I am too dumb at this to give you advice on your money. You might like Workhorse in MI, should get a chunk of the USPS Delivery Truck bid next month.

call_me_ishmael
11-23-2020, 10:53 PM
Studying my ass off every single night for the past 3 months to complete interviewing at FAANG. I am really hoping to land a staff engineer job at Stripe though, 'cause I believe at ~35B valuation they are gonna at least 10x over the next 10 years and I'd love to get a nice chunk of stock options.

The software world is just insane right now.
https://www.levels.fyi/company/Stripe/salaries/Software-Engineer/L4/

Like WTF - I am a good engineer and a good leader but _not_ that good. I will happily take it if offered though.

Tony Oday
11-24-2020, 02:50 PM
Studying my ass off every single night for the past 3 months to complete interviewing at FAANG. I am really hoping to land a staff engineer job at Stripe though, 'cause I believe at ~35B valuation they are gonna at least 10x over the next 10 years and I'd love to get a nice chunk of stock options.

Like WTF - I am a good engineer and a good leader but _not_ that good. I will happily take it if offered though.

If they are going to pay you take it. I agree this year has been by far my best in 20 years. I wont hit 7 figures but damn I was in yelling distance this year :) I just need to get my 20 townhouses and $3.5 cash liquid and I am retiring.

call_me_ishmael
11-30-2020, 02:44 PM
This is a major opportunity. Who is going to take advantage? Apple is so far ahead that somebody has gotta take the plunge on the Windows side of things and do it. Qualcomm? Microsoft themselves? Wouldn't shock me if MS does it but due to their size would they have anti-trust issues then?

Why is Apple’s M1 Chip So Fast?

https://erik-engheim.medium.com/why-is-apples-m1-chip-so-fast-3262b158cba2

SkinBasket
12-01-2020, 06:05 PM
Like WTF - I am... a good leader.

Like, LOL, tell me more. Seriously. I am interested.

call_me_ishmael
12-01-2020, 08:56 PM
I fucked up the tech question in the Stripe interview today. Fuck! It was super easy in retrospect and I fucked it up.

call_me_ishmael
12-02-2020, 05:03 PM
https://twitter.com/sama/status/1334256582574526464

Some areas for huge technological progress in the next 5 years:

*General-purpose AI
*Energy (particularly fission and fusion)
*VR/AR (gets to "real trend" phase)
*Bio (meaningful progress ending many diseases, at least one big gain for longevity, psychedelic medicine)
*Silicon

Smells like opportunity.

SkinBasket
12-02-2020, 05:58 PM
I fucked up the tech question in the Stripe interview today. Fuck! It was super easy in retrospect and I fucked it up.

Again, tell me more about leadership.

Tony Oday
12-03-2020, 10:29 AM
Again, tell me more about leadership.

Everyone fucks up every now and then

Bretsky
12-03-2020, 06:04 PM
Skin, that stocks with the patch birth control sucks !! lol...........hopefully this post will push it to a double :))

Bretsky
12-03-2020, 06:06 PM
What Pot stocks you all buying ? My first was GRWG; got lucky as it's doubled since JoeJoe got elected.

Thinking of Canopy Growth CGC now.

What stocks is everybody pondering ?

I also bought a health food stock lately; spec stock. VRYYF; this one is my most recent buy

SkinBasket
12-07-2020, 08:10 AM
Skin, that stocks with the patch birth control sucks !! lol...........hopefully this post will push it to a double :))

Yeah, you don’t have to tell me. At least it’s a small holding.

I haven’t heard of anyone really having much luck in the whole pot field despite several attempts. I stay away from it, but then again that’s another personal matter. My own crop this year turned male and the only one that survived a deer attack looked like Charlie brown’s Christmas tree. You know you’re a shitty gardener when you can’t make weeds grow.

I do think the industry suffers from a lack of real confidence and support. I know things are different in the city, but I know a dozen or so growers out here, and no one really pays for it, just trading back and forth and even the most ardent users always have like a closet full of previous years goods. with the taxes on the legal stuff what they are, and the prevalence of a cultural adherence to underground pride, the more risk friendly home growers are always going to put a heavy drain on the demand in urban areas too.

SkinBasket
12-07-2020, 05:52 PM
Everyone fucks up every now and then

No. I get it. I helped author an award winning speech about the importance of accepting your mistakes and leadership. This is more of a birds eye view of the last like 15 years or whatever looking at someone who has, I believe, quite literally - used in the actual context, never once accepted responsibility for not only his mistakes, but for some shockingly reprehensible behavior. I’m not shocked now, nor am I actually concerned about it. It’s just humorous, after all this time, to see literary irony played out in front of me. I don’t blame the little fella, he’s always been this way. But after you get over hating him, you can’t help but love him for the humor he provides, given the context.

SkinBasket
12-07-2020, 05:58 PM
I also bought a health food stock lately; spec stock. VRYYF; this one is my most recent buy

Cocktease. This would have been useful a month ago! Now you’re just trying to pump your own tires.

Freak Out
12-07-2020, 10:53 PM
What Pot stocks you all buying ? My first was GRWG; got lucky as it's doubled since JoeJoe got elected.

Thinking of Canopy Growth CGC now.

What stocks is everybody pondering ?

Pot stocks? Is that even a thing? I financed a indoor grow operation once and made a ton of money. I prefer indica over sativa for my usage.

call_me_ishmael
12-10-2020, 09:34 AM
I cannot wait to get to buy AirBnB too. Super long on that. Going to be a huge company (already is). These folks are saying bubble, but I disagree on a 10 year timeline. AirBnB is going to be way bigger than Marriot or Hilton. Totally different model. https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1337054272383496195

YCombinator has gotta low-key be one of the most valuable companies in the world. They own 8% of AirBnB, Stripe, Cruise, Coinbase, Doordash, Instacart, Reddit, Dropbox, Twitch, Gusto which are all gigantic companies on the trajectory to be over 100B if not already.

Zool
12-10-2020, 10:54 AM
I cannot wait to get to buy AirBnB too. Super long on that. Going to be a huge company (already is). These folks are saying bubble, but I disagree on a 10 year timeline. AirBnB is going to be way bigger than Marriot or Hilton. Totally different model. https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1337054272383496195

YCombinator has gotta low-key be one of the most valuable companies in the world. They own 8% of Stripe, Cruise, Coinbase, Doordash, Instacart, Reddit, Dropbox, Twitch, Gusto which are all gigantic companies on the trajectory to be over 100B if not already.

Just an FYI, the last 2 places I stayed in Florida were condo complexes. They were trying to push out Air BnB and VRBO. The units were originally setup to have a main lobby and they would charge the owners to manage the whole thing. The property owners are banding together down there to push them out. No idea if they will succeed, just a heads up.

Freak Out
12-10-2020, 02:25 PM
I fucking hate airbnb. Its destroying neighborhoods and towns.

SkinBasket
12-10-2020, 03:38 PM
We stayed in one of those when we went on the bourbon trail but it was a big 1940s bilevel where two old people died. They still had all their old pictures and awards up and all the beds smelled like old skin until I glazed a couple of them. Otherwise it was pretty nice.

Bretsky
12-12-2020, 09:43 AM

YCombinator has gotta low-key be one of the most valuable companies in the world. They own 8% of AirBnB, Stripe, Cruise, Coinbase, Doordash, Instacart, Reddit, Dropbox, Twitch, Gusto which are all gigantic companies on the trajectory to be over 100B if not already.

did you close your eyes and buy at the open, or are you waiting in hopes the price comes down.

The little guys get screwed on these IPO's often. They announce it was coming public at 68 but when it opened for trading to the normal investor it opened at around 143

call_me_ishmael
12-12-2020, 10:29 PM
Yeah I am not a big fan of IPO. Haven't a few companies (maybe Square?) not gone that route and made it accessible to the commoner on day one? I didn't buy yet, no. I may not even though I think it's a home run. The points people made in here about it are valid and I don't like to do harm with anything I own (Why I sold most of my FB stock).

I am saving all the money that I can for the inevitable IPO of Stripe in the next year or two. THey're worth about 100B now and the IPO will be silly and probably pump it up to 2x that. That said, I believe they're gonna be a 1T company in short order. They are destined to be one of the biggest companies in history and everything is in front of them.

Freak Out
01-07-2021, 08:47 PM
Crazy times. If it wasn't for completely irrational exuberance Tesla would crash hard along with many others. Nothing makes sense any longer but hey...I'm making a bunch of money. I did bail on Bitcoin though.

call_me_ishmael
01-07-2021, 09:43 PM
Crazy times. If it wasn't for completely irrational exuberance Tesla would crash hard along with many others. Nothing makes sense any longer but hey...I'm making a bunch of money. I did bail on Bitcoin though.

Haha I don't believe in BTC at all but I balajis on Twitter is changing my opinion. I've had some for a long time just in case I am wrong 'cause I am wrong a lot.

I too have made a shitload on TSLA and agree nothing makes sense but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ as long as the money keeps flowing in. You own an QQQ? I am thinking about moving all of my old 401Ks into an IRA and just buying SPY and QQQ with it.

Bretsky
01-07-2021, 09:47 PM

Not going to lie; most of my stocks would crash if it all had to make sense.

I loaded up on PLUG a few months ago and GRWG. And more CRWD too

Not sure what i'm buying next but I have a nice portfolio of stocks and when the shit hits the fan I'll look to add to some of them

call_me_ishmael
01-07-2021, 10:00 PM
Not going to lie; most of my stocks would crash if it all had to make sense.

I loaded up on PLUG a few months ago and GRWG. And more CRWD too

Not sure what i'm buying next but I have a nice portfolio of stocks and when the shit hits the fan I'll look to add to some of them

Do you ever sell or are you a buy and hold for the future kinda guy? Also, do you do any ETFs or index funds?

Bretsky
01-08-2021, 01:19 AM
Do you ever sell or are you a buy and hold for the future kinda guy? Also, do you do any ETFs or index funds?

I do a lot of research on the stocks I own. If the news changes and I don't like their growth going forward I sell and invest in something different. But overall I'm a buy and hold guy.

No index funds or ETF's. I am heavily vested in 401K'/retirement programs so I'm very well vested if I make it to retirement :))

I really enjoy stock research; I self manage a Roth IRA that is fully vested in stocks via Ameritrade and that is where I do most of the stock investing.

Bretsky
01-14-2021, 09:26 PM
it's obvious that some Pot Stocks are going to blow up this year; I've made great ching on GRWG

Anybody else investing in the weed stocks ? And if so which ones ?

Fosco33
01-14-2021, 09:40 PM
I’m up 200% in greenthumb. Gtbif

Bretsky
01-14-2021, 10:01 PM
I’m up 200% in greenthumb. Gtbif

Would you buy more of it at these levels ?

I think APHA might be my fave right now. Blew out expected revenues and upcoming merger with Tillray makes it look appealing

Fosco33
01-15-2021, 08:24 AM
Hard to say B. If Biden legalizes - I’d wish I had some position in lots of these. Can’t imagine they’ll go down over a 5 year period.

When I buy stocks / I buy long - on the trend.

And usually I prefer etf over individual stocks.

Fosco33
01-15-2021, 08:26 AM
Look into Cresco Labs (CRLBF)

MadtownPacker
01-16-2021, 11:39 AM
it's obvious that some Pot Stocks are going to blow up this year; I've made great ching on GRWG

Anybody else investing in the weed stocks ? And if so which ones ?I have APHA, CGC, CRON, NBEV and TLRY.

I’m guessing my $500 I put into those isn’t shit to privileged Whiteys but it is first time stocks ever for me. I got Tilray when it fell down to 26 after having been around 200.

Fosco33
01-16-2021, 12:09 PM
That’s great Mad. You gotta start somewhere- I started when I was 11 after saving money from cutting lawns and babysitting.

I wish I had more time for this - so I’m mostly in etfs by industry. Cheaper than most mutual funds and more predictable. I prob should have someone doing it for me

Zool
01-16-2021, 02:08 PM
I have APHA, CGC, CRON, NBEV and TLRY.

I’m guessing my $500 I put into those isn’t shit to privileged Whiteys but it is first time stocks ever for me. I got Tilray when it fell down to 26 after having been around 200.

I do like that you capitalize Whitey. You at least know your place in the pecking order.

call_me_ishmael
01-16-2021, 10:10 PM
That’s great Mad. You gotta start somewhere- I started when I was 11 after saving money from cutting lawns and babysitting.

I wish I had more time for this - so I’m mostly in etfs by industry. Cheaper than most mutual funds and more predictable. I prob should have someone doing it for me

What do you own? I was thinking of converting all of my old 401Ks across a bunch of vendors into a single IRA and go in on SPY and QQQ. I know nothing about ETFs, though.

SkinBasket
01-23-2021, 07:44 PM
I do like that you capitalize Whitey. You at least know your place in the pecking order.

Looks like all these guys are freaking out a bit. Sounds like an AA session where everyone took a sip last week.

Tony Oday
01-25-2021, 08:09 AM
NIO is still rocking the EV Bubble and looks like Lucid Motors is going public through CCIV, got in at $11 with 10 $25 calls and 200 shares. My fun side account is rocking right now :)

To hedge my bets I have been investing in physical silver and gold.

call_me_ishmael
01-27-2021, 10:28 AM
NIO is getting pumped by redditors apparently. This GameStop stuff is crazy. A couple of my coworkers joined the fun but I am sitting this one out. I did sell most of my TSLA and took profits. Gonna put most of it in SHOP I think. SHOP and AMZN I guess. AMZN is so big but I still think there is a ton of room to grow.

Tony Oday
01-27-2021, 10:44 AM
NIO is getting pumped by redditors apparently. This GameStop stuff is crazy. A couple of my coworkers joined the fun but I am sitting this one out. I did sell most of my TSLA and took profits. Gonna put most of it in SHOP I think. SHOP and AMZN I guess. AMZN is so big but I still think there is a ton of room to grow.

NIO is not on the GME, BB, AMC bandwagon it is getting some pump but the car is going to be the E Car in China.

call_me_ishmael
01-28-2021, 02:03 PM
Fuck the hedge funds. This is one of the most remarkable, insane things that has happened in my 34 years. Ken Griffin managed to halt the market and everyone just went along with it. Apparently the White House was involved too allegedly. Robinhood forced people to sell?? What in the actual fuck how is that not illegal? Read the EULA I guess wtffff.

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1354848771184750598

Was going to apply at Robinhood. Really glad I didn't obviously. That company is toast after today.

Fosco33
01-28-2021, 08:55 PM
That’s crazy. Wall Street has always been criminal. 2008 proved that without any jail time for anyone.

Microsec day trading is not what the market was intended to do either.

call_me_ishmael
01-28-2021, 10:48 PM
I don't understand what happened behind the scenes and how they're gonna cover the paper trail. Robinhood - a company on the verge of IPO for billions of dollars - is completely toast after today. So why did they make that choice? Was it a threat from Ken Griffin? Was it a payoff? Seems fishy.

According to this, Robinhood was worth ~12B in 2020. It's worth essentially nothing now since who would use it now? WTF. https://www.coindesk.com/robinhood-660m-extended-funding-round-valuation

Not too often do you see 12 weigh in on current events, but even he shared Portnoy's tweets.

https://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12

Fosco33
01-29-2021, 09:12 AM
Well if the rationale was preventing over speculative bets - they can do that. It’s just shady as fuck how they did it.

For example - I use fidelity. They have flags when I have to call in if I’m betting on a penny or otc stock.
And in crypto - Coinbase makes you prove identify and income for the super speculative crypto market.

Rich people have rich lawyers... but they pissed off the consumer and hopefully will fix it or suffer from the cancel culture.

call_me_ishmael
01-29-2021, 09:41 AM
I really don't think what they did was legal. I'm sure there is some EULA terms in there to cover their ass. Here's what I think happened:

Citadel securities processes the orders for all of the major brokerages that shut down (allegedly). Citadel also in invested in companies with a short position and they have a hefty one themselves (allegedly). To me, where there's smoke, there's generally fire. Kinda seems like Big Bad Ken shut down trading our said he'd stop doing business with the brokers and processing their trades.

Tony Oday
01-29-2021, 10:28 AM
I don't understand what happened behind the scenes and how they're gonna cover the paper trail. Robinhood - a company on the verge of IPO for billions of dollars - is completely toast after today. So why did they make that choice? Was it a threat from Ken Griffin? Was it a payoff? Seems fishy.

According to this, Robinhood was worth ~12B in 2020. It's worth essentially nothing now since who would use it now? WTF. https://www.coindesk.com/robinhood-660m-extended-funding-round-valuation

Not too often do you see 12 weigh in on current events, but even he shared Portnoy's tweets.

https://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12

Robinhood is 40% owned by Citron. Robinhood sells the information from retail traders to the Hedge Funds so they get more accurate information for their trades.

call_me_ishmael
02-02-2021, 11:55 PM

Signed an offer today for a big job, but not at Stripe. Just an incredible time to be an engineer. This will be life changing for my family. Basically 2.3x what I make now.

Tony Oday
02-03-2021, 11:55 AM
Signed an offer today for a big job, but not at Stripe. Just an incredible time to be an engineer. This will be life changing for my family. Basically 2.3x what I make now.

lol just started the tax marathon and this year was insane, made more this year then in last 5 years, made a BOATLOAD on the Dogecoin gamble.

*edit* and this year I mean fiscal 2020

Bretsky
02-05-2021, 11:38 PM
what's everybody considering ? Any views of the EV charging stocks ? I won SBE for a profit. But I'm thinking of taking the profits out of this one. Thoughts ?

Tony Oday
02-06-2021, 11:16 PM
what's everybody considering ? Any views of the EV charging stocks ? I won SBE for a profit. But I'm thinking of taking the profits out of this one. Thoughts ?

I am in Idex, Nio and Workhorse haven't done charging yet because I think these EV players will be like NIO and own their own and do Batteries as a Service. Dunno though all I know is I'm killing it in this easy market.

Bretsky
02-06-2021, 11:34 PM
I am in Idex, Nio and Workhorse haven't done charging yet because I think these EV players will be like NIO and own their own and do Batteries as a Service. Dunno though all I know is I'm killing it in this easy market.

I seem to be killing it as well, But I'm not in options or ETF's; only long term stocks.

Recent buys in past months have been many and include PLUG, GRWG, SPCE, INSG (only went up modestly so far but expecting more), APHA, and SBE

I am torn on SBE; see great upside but I can see this one going down too. I feel least confortable with the EV stocks. They are the future, but they can't all go to the moon and they are very high risk.

Tony Oday
02-06-2021, 11:42 PM
I'm just playing with side cash, got the main retirement with a real professional but man it's fun. I took a flier on GHSI and ZOM and have made a ton. NIO was my major play, in at $11.

Tony Oday
02-06-2021, 11:46 PM
Got my ass kicked by UWMC, PIR and PG&E but NIO brought it all back :) DOGE has been fun too.

Bretsky
02-07-2021, 12:24 AM
I'm just playing with side cash, got the main retirement with a real professional but man it's fun. I took a flier on GHSI and ZOM and have made a ton. NIO was my major play, in at $11.

Congrats !! SQ was my big one as I bought at around 11/share.

Any stocks you in love with now at current prices ?

Tony Oday
02-07-2021, 09:15 AM
NIO and Workhorse. NIO is fully backed by the Chicoms and should do amazing things this year, most think it will hit $100, good cars, increased production and they have battery as a service which will bring in cash for the life of the cars. Workhorse should get a big chunk of the USPS contract which should send it to the moon.

Tony Oday
02-08-2021, 10:24 AM
ZOM, DOGE and Bitcoin popped :)

Bretsky
02-08-2021, 09:56 PM
You like any of the EV charging stocks or do you veer away from those ?

Tony Oday
02-09-2021, 11:30 AM
You like any of the EV charging stocks or do you veer away from those ?

1. I do not know a lot about them. 2. I think they would be ripe for either takeover, which is good, or these EV companies will do BAAS, Batteries as a Service, to pad their bottom line and add another revenue stream. If they do this in house I think that will be REALLY bad for the EV Charging Companies.

call_me_ishmael
02-09-2021, 12:14 PM
What is a SPAC? I want to invest in Chamath's fund but I dunno how to do it or exactly what it is. Can I buy stock in it?

Tony Oday
02-09-2021, 10:38 PM
What is a SPAC? I want to invest in Chamath's fund but I dunno how to do it or exactly what it is. Can I buy stock in it?

It is a blank check company that helps a company go public. Usually they are priced at like $10 per share, yes you can buy them no I have never made much off them.

Tony Oday
02-09-2021, 10:40 PM
That's because I dumped the shares in CCIV before the rise but its VERY speculative.

Tony Oday
02-09-2021, 10:40 PM
Bought 2 BTCs today, that is a chunk of change but I want it to hit 100k this year...could be a major loss.

call_me_ishmael
02-10-2021, 12:06 AM
It is a blank check company that helps a company go public. Usually they are priced at like $10 per share, yes you can buy them no I have never made much off them.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. It doesn't sound like what I thought it was. I probably won't invest in that case.

call_me_ishmael
02-10-2021, 12:07 AM
What do y'all think about Open Door stock? I think the symbol is OPEN. Keith Rabois is a smart business man.

Bretsky
02-10-2021, 07:07 AM
What do y'all think about Open Door stock? I think the symbol is OPEN. Keith Rabois is a smart business man.

I am not a current owner, but it's on my watchlist in AMTD to track daily and hopefully buy some the road. . What do you think of it ?

Tony Oday
02-10-2021, 08:47 AM
I personally am staying away from banks, lenders, builders basically anything in housing. We are in another MASSIVE bubble. I have clients offering 50k over a 350k listing price and not getting houses. I saw this in 2007-8 before the crash. Bidens anti US policies, increased reliance on government programs, insane "stimulus" packages and a fauxdemic are going to hit the economy soon. Wait until until tax cuts are gone.

call_me_ishmael
02-10-2021, 10:01 AM
I am not a current owner, but it's on my watchlist in AMTD to track daily and hopefully buy some the road. . What do you think of it ?

I don't know enough to have an opinion but I do personally believe that pretty much anything Keith Rabois gets involved with does very well. See PayPal, LinkedIn, Square, and now OpenDoor.

call_me_ishmael
02-10-2021, 10:02 AM
I personally am staying away from banks, lenders, builders basically anything in housing. We are in another MASSIVE bubble. I have clients offering 50k over a 350k listing price and not getting houses. I saw this in 2007-8 before the crash. Bidens anti US policies, increased reliance on government programs, insane "stimulus" packages and a fauxdemic are going to hit the economy soon. Wait until until tax cuts are gone.

I am kinda tempted to get out of the market and go back to cash with a nice chunk of money. My investment account has gone up from like ~175 to 450 the past couple years. On the other hand, if stonks are priced so high because the dollar is so shitty, it doesn't make sense to go back to cash right now.

Tony Oday
02-10-2021, 10:26 AM
I am kinda tempted to get out of the market and go back to cash with a nice chunk of money. My investment account has gone up from like ~175 to 450 the past couple years. On the other hand, if stonks are priced so high because the dollar is so shitty, it doesn't make sense to go back to cash right now.

I hedge with physical metals. My cash accounts are pretty insane right now because the wife and I want to load up on townhouses when the market crashes so we can get more rentals at a cheaper price.

call_me_ishmael
02-10-2021, 02:42 PM
I hedge with physical metals. My cash accounts are pretty insane right now because the wife and I want to load up on townhouses when the market crashes so we can get more rentals at a cheaper price.

How do you manage the townhouses? Kinda wondering if buying something like that would be a good idea for me.

Tony Oday
02-10-2021, 02:53 PM
How do you manage the townhouses? Kinda wondering if buying something like that would be a good idea for me.

My wife does it, she has a primary job as a National Account Manager for a Chinese company and her old VP owns 4-500 apartment units in like 40 buildings (I never get this number right) so she does his books as a side gig because she doesn't trust anyone else to not rip him off :) So she takes care of the money side of the rentals and I take care of the upkeep and repairs. Like today I had a dishwasher put in. We are planning on having a minimum of 20 paid off when we retire so we have another stream of retirement income. It really is not that hard unless you work like 60 hour weeks then you have to pay a management company which eats your profits. I love the rentals for the tax write offs.

If SSI is still around that will be just bar money ;)

MadtownPacker
02-10-2021, 08:37 PM
And here I was happy my bud stock is almost back to the amount I started with.

Tony Oday
02-12-2021, 08:52 AM
And here I was happy my bud stock is almost back to the amount I started with.

Did you buy Aurora?

MadtownPacker
02-17-2021, 09:36 PM
Did you buy Aurora?APHA, CGC, CRON, NBEV and TLRY. Had them for about 3 years.

Bretsky
02-17-2021, 10:04 PM
APHA, CGC, CRON, NBEV and TLRY. Had them for about 3 years.

You'll make some nice bucks; I recently bought APHA around 12; I have been considering CRON. I wish I bought CGC in the mid 20s when I was eyeing it up. They're coming out with a good tasting drink laced with the fun stuff. TLRY and APHA merger will create a beast IMO

Freak Out
02-18-2021, 06:00 PM
Bitcoin. What the holy fuck? I'll take the insane increase but man its so hard to hang onto now. Another super skeptical friend bailed at the new year and is kicking himself...just a little though as he has a fuck ton of cash/assets already. Such a crazy time (scary).

Tony Oday
02-19-2021, 12:30 PM
Bitcoin. What the holy fuck? I'll take the insane increase but man its so hard to hang onto now. Another super skeptical friend bailed at the new year and is kicking himself...just a little though as he has a fuck ton of cash/assets already. Such a crazy time (scary).

Made $12k so far so I sold one coin and bought more CCIV to cash in on the Lucid going public.

Tony Oday
02-19-2021, 12:36 PM
Also sold some NIO for Ebang, its a Chinese Company that sells bitcoin mining machines, the are also going to open their own exchange. I am having an awesome time with this market. Im up 160% the last 12 months :) Its like a casino.

call_me_ishmael
02-19-2021, 03:44 PM
Yeah for real, it is insane how much money I have made in the past year. I feel like I am loaded when I know it's gonna come crashing down and I'm not

Tony Oday
02-20-2021, 10:08 AM
Yeah for real, it is insane how much money I have made in the past year. I feel like I am loaded when I know it's gonna come crashing down and I'm not

Agreed. It's my fun money so it doesn't affect my real life but it would be nice to really hit on one or two and get the side hustle to $120k so I can pay for my kids school in full.

Tony Oday
02-22-2021, 11:52 AM
My Churchill is doing great NIO is getting crushed :( lol hoping for a merger announcement tomorrow, should be a huge upswing.

Tony Oday
02-23-2021, 10:37 AM
wow, 33% loss ouch.

call_me_ishmael
02-23-2021, 10:58 AM
I wish this was my fun money account. This was my invest 35K in 2011 account that has peaked at nearly 500K. Fuckin' A I hate losing money in this bitch. I still predominantly own blue bloods like AMZN and AAPL so it will be fine since those businesses are so strong.

Tony Oday
02-23-2021, 11:30 AM
I wish this was my fun money account. This was my invest 35K in 2011 account that has peaked at nearly 500K. Fuckin' A I hate losing money in this bitch. I still predominantly own blue bloods like AMZN and AAPL so it will be fine since those businesses are so strong.

I use the professional on the actual retirement money, I want to get this to $100k by 2028 so I can pay for my kids full school and then give him his college IRA we have so he can pay for med school.

SkinBasket
02-25-2021, 07:27 PM
Here’s a fun game that had us drinking copiously today: how many stimulus checks did you buy this year? For us it was about 160. The return was pretty fucking terrible. Keep it honest... straight federal only.

SkinBasket
02-25-2021, 07:44 PM
I also think it’s humorous that a lot of people who were/are outraged by either aspects of or the entirety of the continuing gamestop/ robinhood saga are the ones who previously would align with the sociopolitical agenda behind the moves. LOL. It’s all fun and games until someone pokes YOUR eye out.

MadtownPacker
02-27-2021, 05:36 PM
This thread is about stocks not the politics behind it.

Bretsky
02-27-2021, 06:29 PM
I took an initial position in OPEN at about 27 Friday.

SkinBasket
02-27-2021, 10:17 PM
This thread is about stocks not the politics behind it.

What politics? Being serious.

If it’s my comments on robinhood/gamestop my only retort would be that separating the stock market and macro politics has never been an option. They have always been gay lovers, no matter the party. They literally are the definition of the 69 position. I don’t think anything I said was any more or less “political” than any other post, but maybe I’m missing some subtext.

MadtownPacker
02-28-2021, 11:03 AM
“Social political agenda”. The word political.

Dude I know you don’t come around often so hate to do it but I promised I would heavily enforce the FYI thing. You are not in violation just trying to avoid heading that direction. I appreciate your asking. It’s all good.

SkinBasket
02-28-2021, 07:14 PM
Cool. You’re right, I don’t look around enough to know if shits out of hand or not. I’ll refrain from saying the “p” word, even though it’s like saying we’re going to have a frank discussion out sex but we can’t mention genitalia. If you’re not on top of “current events” you’ll never make a buck at this money game was the point I guess. I’ll keep it in mind.

Freak Out
03-02-2021, 02:43 PM
The airline stocks I bought when this all started have doubled in value. The oil stuff is close. I own a ton of transportation stock (helicopter) as part of a pay/severance which was worthless a couple years ago but due to a merger have quadrupled in value. As the economy moves further out of this they could continue to climb. Sometimes you just gotta hold.

call_me_ishmael
03-02-2021, 03:05 PM
The airline stocks I bought when this all started have doubled in value. The oil stuff is close. I own a ton of transportation stock (helicopter) as part of a pay/severance which was worthless a couple years ago but due to a merger have quadrupled in value. As the economy moves further out of this they could continue to climb. Sometimes you just gotta hold.

What is your view on the state of the dollar and the economy in general? I kind of think it's being held together with duct tape and due for a huge correction. Kinda seems like the dollar is depreciating big time.

Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'd love to hear from people smarter than I on the subject.

Bretsky
03-02-2021, 10:04 PM
I sold my Rocket Mortgage today; now watch is go to 200.

Got about a 100% return so I'll take that. I don't love the stock so nothing wrong with taking profits sometimes

Bretsky
03-02-2021, 10:05 PM
I think Ford is a nice buy here

Any other suggestions for buys to consider ???

Freak Out
03-02-2021, 10:33 PM

I'm starting to get interested in auto makers just because of the emerging tech but don't know enough to jump in big yet. There are great things coming though.

Freak Out
03-02-2021, 10:38 PM
What is your view on the state of the dollar and the economy in general? I kind of think it's being held together with duct tape and due for a huge correction. Kinda seems like the dollar is depreciating big time.

Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'd love to hear from people smarter than I on the subject.

I've thought a few times shit was coming down but have always been wrong. I am friends with a big capital investor/manager and we joke about this. Liquidity liquidity liquidity. So much money and cheap money available to invest. People are buying dogecoin and shit for fucks sake. As far as the economy it really depends where you are at. Alaska is fucked six ways from Sunday but other areas are doing fine. AK tax revenue was down 42 percent.

SkinBasket
03-03-2021, 02:24 PM

Bought into a small holding of WNDW today after dropping Sony. But I don’t really know what I’m doing even though that works for me.

Freak Out
03-03-2021, 04:18 PM
Bought into a small holding of WNDW today after dropping Sony. But I don’t really know what I’m doing even though that works for me.

Interesting. Looks like you bought on a nice dip. I'm going to research this a bit.

SkinBasket
03-03-2021, 05:29 PM
Interesting. Looks like you bought on a nice dip. I'm going to research this a bit.

Awesome. Let me know what I bought when you’re done. As far as I can tell they have the means to capitalize on a very common sense idea and since they’re Korean company I’m sure it was the Chinese putting out disinformation to hurt them until they can steal it. I’m betting on real investors seeing through that forcing the chinks to buy them out instead.

Freak Out
03-04-2021, 12:40 AM
Don't bet on it.

SkinBasket
03-11-2021, 08:27 PM
Don't bet on it.

Well, I did hit it two days too early, but the recovery is on!

On a side note, it’s times like this I wish I had poured 4x what I did into BA, that was a gimme, but was buying too much other actual shit at the time. Like a roof.

Bretsky
03-19-2021, 09:45 PM
I recently bought some SKLZ and OPEN

Bretsky
03-25-2021, 05:25 PM
What are you shitfaces buying ?

I added to Draft Kings and SKLZ today and took a small position in LAZR

Freak Out
03-28-2021, 02:25 PM
I sold everything but oil a week ago. My airline stuff hit a high so I took the profit. I'm getting nervous.....

Bretsky
03-28-2021, 04:31 PM
I sold everything but oil a week ago. My airline stuff hit a high so I took the profit. I'm getting nervous.....

You think we're going to crash ?

I keep reading about pot stocks and kinda wanna buy more

call_me_ishmael
03-28-2021, 09:32 PM

Did you go to cash, hold or BTC or what?

Freak Out
03-29-2021, 11:03 PM
Did you go to cash, hold or BTC or what?

Cash in a high interest account. I'll buy something soon probably.

Freak Out
03-29-2021, 11:04 PM
Well high for cash that is lol. BTC is a cult and scares the hell out of me.

call_me_ishmael
05-07-2021, 02:42 PM
Housing market is insane right now. I am gonna buy a house, the market is gonna collapse, and I am gonna lose 20-40% of value, aren't I?

MadtownPacker
05-07-2021, 07:24 PM
Yes you dumb fuck. Wait until all the foreclosures protections expire. Next year will be the time to buy IMO.

Any of you hoes get dooshcoin? Some fucker at work said he bought $200 few weeks ago and it’s $2000 now.

Spaulding
05-08-2021, 07:52 PM
That coin was created as a joke. Ruins the whole crypto currency landscape. Would think a market correction is coming soon but then again the herd buys what the herd buys. I can't complain though as bitcoin cash has been kind as of late even with bitcoin fairly stagnant. Speculating on ADA too now.

Freak Out
05-08-2021, 08:56 PM
Chia

call_me_ishmael
05-08-2021, 11:56 PM
Yes you dumb fuck. Wait until all the foreclosures protections expire. Next year will be the time to buy IMO.

Any of you hoes get dooshcoin? Some fucker at work said he bought $200 few weeks ago and it’s $2000 now.

Yeah unfortunately so few houses that check our boxes come on the market that we gotta jump when they do.

Not a lot of 5-6 bedroom in our town and we ain't moving, so beggars can't be choosers.

call_me_ishmael
05-19-2021, 10:20 PM
Lost a shit load of money on paper but still up bigly in covid times cha ching

call_me_ishmael
05-24-2021, 11:05 PM
Anybody use anything like Wealthfront? I want to set something up where my money gets invested automatically without even thinknig about it.

call_me_ishmael
09-09-2021, 10:54 PM
Alright folks - let's say hypothetically I pocketed enough money to have ~150K to invest per year post tax. I already max out 401K, etc. I know some folks do backdoor roth, etc but I haven't researched this.

Would I be better served investing in real estate or stocks? I don't want to actually manage the properties, just invest in them and own them since right now time is a limiting factor for me. I have young kids and a demanding job so I don't want to spend my time f'ing around with real estate too much.

What other types of investments should I consider?

Bretsky
09-11-2021, 12:04 AM
What type of real estate, and why would you choose this over stocks when you seem to have don well with stocks. It's not all roses in real estate. Eventually this insanity will correct and some will pay for excessively overpaying for homes

call_me_ishmael
09-12-2021, 11:41 PM
What type of real estate, and why would you choose this over stocks when you seem to have don well with stocks. It's not all roses in real estate. Eventually this insanity will correct and some will pay for excessively overpaying for homes

I don't know the answer to any of these questions. I am just trying to maximize my ROI with as little time commitment as possible. We get a big equity grant each year at my job so I intend to invest the the whole thing and hopefully set my kids up. Just not sure how to best do that. Seems like some peeps in real estate can make some serious coin, but conversely it also seems like they invest a lot of time.

Something I do want is the money to be relatively liquid so if we decide to buy a new house we can.

Tony Oday
09-14-2021, 02:00 PM
I don't know the answer to any of these questions. I am just trying to maximize my ROI with as little time commitment as possible. We get a big equity grant each year at my job so I intend to invest the the whole thing and hopefully set my kids up. Just not sure how to best do that. Seems like some peeps in real estate can make some serious coin, but conversely it also seems like they invest a lot of time.

Something I do want is the money to be relatively liquid so if we decide to buy a new house we can.

Best way to make money in this environment is rentals but if you do not want to spend time you have to have a management company that cuts into your profits. This type of investment is NOT liquid at all. Right now I would leverage primary residences because rates are ridiculously low, so put it in rentals, if you want it to pay out to your kids, and then put less down on a house.

the other option is just get a financial advisor and open a brokerage account. Usually at $300k they start managing it better, at $500k the costs go down and over a mil they get even better.

call_me_ishmael
09-20-2021, 09:37 PM
What are the stocks they are a good buy right now? Looking for phat returns and don’t need to touch the money anytime soon - in Roth IRA

Tony Oday
09-21-2021, 11:52 AM
What are the stocks they are a good buy right now? Looking for phat returns and don’t need to touch the money anytime soon - in Roth IRA

My guy is telling me stay away from China with main money. I dumped $200k in Amazon last week and $200k in Microsoft. I doubt those two are going anywhere. The rest my money guy takes care of.

call_me_ishmael
09-21-2021, 04:55 PM
My guy is telling me stay away from China with main money. I dumped $200k in Amazon last week and $200k in Microsoft. I doubt those two are going anywhere. The rest my money guy takes care of.

I ended up just buying Apple. I <3 Amazon the web service but am getting increasingly frustrated with the store and the worsening consumer experience. Fake reviews, shitty chinese products everywhere, etc. It is sort of a mess.

Tony Oday
09-22-2021, 12:15 PM
I ended up just buying Apple. I <3 Amazon the web service but am getting increasingly frustrated with the store and the worsening consumer experience. Fake reviews, shitty chinese products everywhere, etc. It is sort of a mess.

I hate apple, not as a company just in general ;) Great Stock though! I really should put some in Coke but I haven't yet. I am just trying to stay whole and liquid with the coming crash.

Tony Oday
09-22-2021, 05:57 PM
Honestly my favorite investment is a HUGE gamble $10k into Shiba Inu Coin, only time I have ever owned over a billion of something :) If it reaches .0045 cents its worth $4.9 mil lol. Then I buy my island!

call_me_ishmael
09-22-2021, 10:39 PM
You think stocks are crashing Tony? I think we're due for a big reset too but am unsure if I should go to cash and get raped on capital gains or what exactly.

Tony Oday
09-23-2021, 08:18 AM
You think stocks are crashing Tony? I think we're due for a big reset too but am unsure if I should go to cash and get raped on capital gains or what exactly.

They have to crash and I would imagine crash hard, that is when you invest heavily and make bank. My guess is the S&P drops back to 3000 by the end of next year but AGAIN this is why I have a money guy because I am just a random mortgage jockey that likes to throw around money and really I want a crash because that is when you make more money! I wish I had more in 2008, now I am set up to buy 10ish new townhouses in the next crash after liquidating our rentals.

call_me_ishmael
10-01-2021, 09:53 PM
What are some things that folks think are gonna grow? I am totally unaware of companies that are no brainer gonna 5-10x in 10 years like Apple, Amazon, etc in 2010ish. Bretsky what are you roling the dice on?

I sort of like Cloudflare. They're doing some interesting things and are quietly becoming a robust cloud provider for simple applications (which is the vast majority of them) that is quite a bit more affordable than the big players.

Freak Out
10-06-2021, 08:42 PM
I sold all my remaining energy stuff a few days ago....it made a ton of money and will probably continue to climb but I got leery. I stopped buying homes awhile ago as everything is so expensive out west. I did invest in a home in NY though with my son though. I'm searching for a startup now to invest in.

call_me_ishmael
10-07-2021, 10:38 AM
I sold all my remaining energy stuff a few days ago....it made a ton of money and will probably continue to climb but I got leery. I stopped buying homes awhile ago as everything is so expensive out west. I did invest in a home in NY though with my son though. I'm searching for a startup now to invest in.

What stocks are you thinking are going to grow like crazy the next ten years? What stocks are you excited about?

Personally - I just don't know. I like ABNB in practice but as you previously mentioned they are destroying a lot of shit so maybe not a good ethical stock to buy. Stripe is obviously a no brainer but they aren't available yet. Maybe Coinbase? Seems like they'll be a proxy for all things crypto.

Bretsky
10-17-2021, 08:40 PM
Sorry I missed this; I had a knee replacement surgery 6 days ago and the recovery is pretty dam brutal.

Ideas I really like would be Crowdstrike (CRWD) as well as CloudFlare

I also like Coinbase; but I need to become more schooled on the company.

What else are you considering ? Take a look at CRWD as one to consider for sure.

Tony Oday
10-27-2021, 11:50 AM
Well Shiba Inu Coin is crushing it :)

call_me_ishmael
10-27-2021, 12:44 PM
Well Shiba Inu Coin is crushing it :)

Yolo, I just bought 5K. Lets go

call_me_ishmael
10-27-2021, 02:15 PM

Up 10% in an hour or two lol. My employer's stock is down a lot so hoping to really nail something like this to offset the difference.

Freak Out
10-27-2021, 04:44 PM
I bought a bunch of LIT recently. I hope cryptos are banned. What a waste of energy and such a huge crime enabler.

Bretsky
10-27-2021, 05:37 PM

What trading platform did you use to buy the shares ?

call_me_ishmael
10-27-2021, 08:06 PM
I bought a bunch of LIT recently. I hope cryptos are banned. What a waste of energy and such a huge crime enabler.

Crime enabler yes but crypto will be what actually pushes for green energy IMO. Nuclear will happen at scale worldwide ‘cause crypto.

call_me_ishmael
10-27-2021, 08:07 PM
What trading platform did you use to buy the shares ?

Coinbase, but I warn you the fees are stupid high to buy in. It’s easy to see why Coinbase is worth billions with fees like that.

Tony Oday
10-27-2021, 09:56 PM
Lol Cryptos cause crime, less crime then central banks.

call_me_ishmael
10-27-2021, 10:00 PM
Lol Cryptos cause crime, less crime then central banks.

Ransomware is a very real problem though.

call_me_ishmael
11-05-2021, 11:21 AM
Alright Tony where is this shiba coin going? I was up 50% and now down about 20% lol. It's a roller coaster but I wanna get out and move to ETH, but hoping to at least break even before I do.

Tony Oday
11-05-2021, 12:10 PM
Alright Tony where is this shiba coin going? I was up 50% and now down about 20% lol. It's a roller coaster but I wanna get out and move to ETH, but hoping to at least break even before I do.

What did you buy in at? I am not selling until it is on Kraken and Robinhood, I would bet that is 1st Q. My average is .000007 cost so I can ride the waves. I also have been buying weekly max on Dogelon Mars which is more than likely 100% crap but screw it I spend that much at a bar playing pulltabs ;)

call_me_ishmael
11-05-2021, 12:35 PM
What did you buy in at? I am not selling until it is on Kraken and Robinhood, I would bet that is 1st Q. My average is .000007 cost so I can ride the waves. I also have been buying weekly max on Dogelon Mars which is more than likely 100% crap but screw it I spend that much at a bar playing pulltabs ;)

Ha I have no idea, I have 71,919,631.832 from 5000 principle - like a 200 dollar fee so like 0.00006674116557 so like 10x more than where you got in.

Tony Oday
11-09-2021, 11:34 AM
Ha I have no idea, I have 71,919,631.832 from 5000 principle - like a 200 dollar fee so like 0.00006674116557 so like 10x more than where you got in.

Ok yeah I have 564 million now and 235 million ELON, I am thinking that is the next Shib but who knows I like to gamble ;)

Freak Out
11-10-2021, 12:37 PM
RIVN.

Tony Oday
11-10-2021, 01:59 PM
RIVN.

Took a gamble and dropped in $3k at $97

Tony Oday
11-10-2021, 02:09 PM
I should sell it because I see a MAJOR drop after a crazy valuation.

Freak Out
11-10-2021, 02:15 PM
Lot's of people will buy/sell right away to make some money. I plan on holding for awhile. I don't need the money now so let it grow.

Tony Oday
11-11-2021, 08:00 AM
I just want SHIB to go to .01 so I can retire on my island ;)

call_me_ishmael
11-16-2021, 02:43 PM
I know it is a shit stock right now but Peloton isn't going anywhere at 1.8B in revenue to 16B valuation feels like the stock is at a discount right now (I have lost my ass on Pton this past year)

Tony Oday
11-18-2021, 01:53 PM
I know it is a shit stock right now but Peloton isn't going anywhere at 1.8B in revenue to 16B valuation feels like the stock is at a discount right now (I have lost my ass on Pton this past year)

I thought Pton doesnt make money and has a negative cash flow? Not a huge fan of their one product company :)

Cashed out Rivian and profited $1,793.81 :)

Tony Oday
11-18-2021, 01:54 PM
Im thinking of increasing positions in Backblaze and NIO, Though I have a decent chunk in my main accounts in NIO, cashed out 200m shib to get my initial investment and a $3k profit so the rest is just there to ride out the next 3 years

call_me_ishmael
11-18-2021, 02:34 PM
I have been a total grown-up and just buying SPY right now. I just had my 2021 employee stock purchase program stuff come in and I immediately sold the offering and took the 15% profit they give you and bought SPY.

I have never bought an index fund before. This is uncharted territory but trying to spend half of investment money on responsible stuff and half on some moon shots (crypto) and indivdual stocks (not moon shots, but stuff I feel very confident from my vantage point of tech).

Remote work changed the world. I make so much more money than I did working for a local company. Getting a six figure chunk of RSUs in addition to a nice salary is something I would recommend to all tech workers right now. I am living a frugal life as I always have and am essentially banking every extra penny I am earning from what I earned in the past. It is awesome and if I do it for four years, all of my kids college will be paid for or whatever they need. Just need to put my politics aside, shut up, keep my head down and keep stacking those checks.

Tony Oday
11-18-2021, 02:43 PM
I have been a total grown-up and just buying SPY right now. I just had my 2021 employee stock purchase program stuff come in and I immediately sold the offering and took the 15% profit they give you and bought SPY.

I have never bought an index fund before. This is uncharted territory but trying to spend half of investment money on responsible stuff and half on some moon shots (crypto) and indivdual stocks (not moon shots, but stuff I feel very confident from my vantage point of tech).

Remote work changed the world. I make so much more money than I did working for a local company. Getting a six figure chunk of RSUs in addition to a nice salary is something I would recommend to all tech workers right now. I am living a frugal life as I always have and am essentially banking every extra penny I am earning from what I earned in the past. It is awesome and if I do it for four years, all of my kids college will be paid for or whatever they need. Just need to put my politics aside, shut up, keep my head down and keep stacking those checks.

lol I have the trouble with the politics ;) I want to retire in 17 years, 60 years old, I will be able to part time it in 12 easy but I don't want to become an alcoholic! hehe

My wifes salary goes to retirement and mine pays the bills, I invest my extra cash for the moonshot fun. Ive pulled out $20k in profits this year and the wife was happy. I want to have a lot more then they recommend in retirement because I have one kid and want to make sure his life is easier than mine and I hope he does the same thing for his kids.

call_me_ishmael
12-03-2021, 02:59 PM
I kind of like twtr at this price point. That said, it is a clown show there these days.

Bretsky
12-03-2021, 11:33 PM
Best crypto plays you would be buying now ? Seems like it’s been hit lately

call_me_ishmael
12-04-2021, 01:26 AM
I would buy a little bitcoin and ethereum and let it sit for 10 years. It'll either be worth a lot or basically nothing. Could go either way.

Tony Oday
12-07-2021, 01:25 PM
I would buy a little bitcoin and ethereum and let it sit for 10 years. It'll either be worth a lot or basically nothing. Could go either way.

this for sure if it is a long term. I personally am looking for the lottery ticket crypto ;) I have a billion ELON right now, 400 million SHIB, 2,000 CRO, 1 ETH, 1 BTC and some other alt coins. Total investment is less then $10k so it worked out but I hit pretty great on a couple of them and bought BTC REALLY low at the end of 2019.

call_me_ishmael
12-07-2021, 03:20 PM
Right, that was for Bretsky

Bretsky
12-07-2021, 08:35 PM
SHIBA is investor sites I often read on pretty often. I am going to start tracking a few of these.

I'm looking for home runs though as I'll invest money I can afford to lose

Tony Oday
12-09-2021, 08:55 AM
SHIBA is investor sites I often read on pretty often. I am going to start tracking a few of these.

I'm looking for home runs though as I'll invest money I can afford to lose

Yup mine are longshot gambles :)

call_me_ishmael
01-21-2022, 11:17 AM
I like PTON a lot long term. It is on major sale right now.

Bretsky
01-21-2022, 11:44 AM
I like PTON a lot long term. It is on major sale right now.

'
Didn't I hear PTON halted production ? If that is the case it's concerning. Man it seems like there are a bunch of stocks on sale. Did you ever but into any of the cybersecurity stocks ? I though you were considering a couple.

How has SHIBA been doing ?

I don't understand CRYPTO; which is frustrating to me cause I like a gamble.

call_me_ishmael
01-21-2022, 12:25 PM
Shiba is doing horribly :) I think my 5K principle is like 1000 now. Crypto has crashed hard.

I am not in a rush to sell anything so I assume it'll all come back eventually.

Freak Out
01-22-2022, 02:43 PM
Crypto is worse than a Ponzi scheme.

Man....I always buy the dip but am being very selective right now. Looking for dividends etc. The numbers are so bad this ship is still sinking. Big time liquidity crisis at a number of leveraged long funds.

call_me_ishmael
02-03-2022, 11:30 AM
I bought the FB dip. a 17 PE ratio seems really good right now.

Historically I haven't held much FB due to ethical reasons, but I work for an equally evil competitor now so time to make some money ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

call_me_ishmael
02-03-2022, 11:31 AM
Crypto is worse than a Ponzi scheme.

Man....I always buy the dip but am being very selective right now. Looking for dividends etc. The numbers are so bad this ship is still sinking. Big time liquidity crisis at a number of leveraged long funds.

Where do you think we're heading? Keith Rabois says this is 2000. He is a pretty smart tech investor so I listen carefully when he speaks. Lots of tech has lost their ass. I joined my current company at the absolute top so my equity is worth like half of what it was - sucks!

Fosco33
02-03-2022, 11:41 AM
I got rivian mid 50s. Happy with that entry point after the initial hype

call_me_ishmael
02-03-2022, 01:15 PM
Man do I ever want an affordable but big ass Rivian SUV. Like Tahoe sized but doesn't drive like a Tahoe since I don't need the towing and I don't think an electric could do it anyway (I have no idea what I'm talking about)

call_me_ishmael
02-03-2022, 09:10 PM
This is insane. Cost to build a house in 2021 up 61% from 2019.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2021-us-housing-construction-costs/

The real question is when is this shit going to come back down? Kinda seems like we're entering that phase.

Freak Out
02-04-2022, 12:14 PM
Made a ton off of Amazon. Fools drove it down with FB and it bounced back after hours big time. Easy money.

Freak Out
02-04-2022, 12:16 PM
I got rivian mid 50s. Happy with that entry point after the initial hype

I bought and sold......and bought again because why not? Price was almost to IPO again. Shipping is where it's at though...

Bretsky
02-05-2022, 08:58 PM
AMZN was really ez money if you had funds to buy stocks there.

FREAK, are you typically long term ? What else you looking at ?

Freak Out
02-06-2022, 12:48 PM
AMZN was really ez money if you had funds to buy stocks there.

FREAK, are you typically long term ? What else you looking at ?

No...I do buy stocks and hold for dividends etc. but lately its been buy the illogical dip and sell. I bought a tone of ZIM a couple weeks ago as dividends should be huge. The value has risen nicely as well.

call_me_ishmael
02-06-2022, 10:25 PM
Post your trades in here in real time bruh so I can mirror you can make some money.

Bretsky
04-08-2022, 11:05 PM
I took a position in chargepoint a few weeks ago at about 15.75…….who else can post some recent trades ? Anybody buying more crypto ?

Bretsky
04-08-2022, 11:07 PM
QS looks tempting here as well

call_me_ishmael
04-11-2022, 10:48 AM
I'm personally bullish at Twitter at these price points, especially knowing Elon is likely going to do a hostile takeover and as a result balloon the share price.

Bretsky
04-12-2022, 09:17 PM
I'm personally bullish at Twitter at these price points, especially knowing Elon is likely going to do a hostile takeover and as a result balloon the share price.

Would seem that Twitter has some nice upside here if the news occurs.

I may nibble on more Chargepoint tomorrow

call_me_ishmael
04-12-2022, 10:37 PM
Interesting thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/comments/u1ocku/nine_years_ago_someone_here_asked_what_stock_to/

I should buy more Costco. I love the company, the products they sell, and how they run their business. We shop there every week.

Freak Out
04-16-2022, 01:19 PM
I'm a Costco holder.

Bretsky
04-17-2022, 09:03 PM
Costco is a great stock

call_me_ishmael
05-11-2022, 10:18 PM
Coinbase is such a good buy right now. That PE is dirt cheap. Easy 10x return on 10 year timeline IMO.

call_me_ishmael
06-24-2022, 10:13 AM
https://twitter.com/Austen/status/1540350896663474178

True for most good stocks.

Bretsky
07-09-2022, 07:48 PM
Coinbase is such a good buy right now. That PE is dirt cheap. Easy 10x return on 10 year timeline IMO.

You still like COIN ? They have a lot of challenges.

What are yall pondering now ?

It's the right time to find bargains; the trick is getting them right

call_me_ishmael
07-09-2022, 09:38 PM
Yes, very much so. It is a great buy if you plan on holding 10 years. You will probably 10x your money or have nothing left. I am banking on 10x minimum. Brian Anderson is one of the best CEOs in the country.

I like Shopify, Coinbase, Amazon a lot at these price points. Amazon is a steal because it just continues to grow and grow and grow.

Bretsky
07-10-2022, 12:18 PM
Yes, very much so. It is a great buy if you plan on holding 10 years. You will probably 10x your money or have nothing left. I am banking on 10x minimum. Brian Anderson is one of the best CEOs in the country.

I like Shopify, Coinbase, Amazon a lot at these price points. Amazon is a steal because it just continues to grow and grow and grow.

At these prices I really don't think anybody will lose money on Apploe or Google either :)

call_me_ishmael
07-11-2022, 12:00 AM
At these prices I really don't think anybody will lose money on Apploe or Google either :)

I dunno where the bottom is but I think shit is gonna get bad. A savvy veteran move would be to dollar cost average it for the next year or so and let the chips fall where they may. 5-10 years out I think you'll make a lot of money on most things.

Bretsky
07-11-2022, 09:48 PM
NVDA here seems like an ez call as well

bobblehead
07-21-2022, 03:18 PM
I don't visit here often, but I saw the thread from the forums page. The market predicts the economy by 6 months generally speaking. The fed has/is forcing us into a recession to deal with inflation and the massive growth tech sector was sold off as a result. Now however the market is showing signs of resistance to a further drop. A nice lazy easy way to profit during a recovery is to play QQQ (nasdaq etf).

If you like to pick stocks though, SLG is an office REIT with an absurd 7.9% dividend. Its pretty good quality and pays monthly. Offices are finally set to rebound as the work from home idea is fading at many big companies. They are figuring out that they don't get their employees attention when said employee is sitting at home.

bobblehead
07-21-2022, 03:21 PM
If you are super conservative (as I am) PFFA is a leveraged/managed preferred fund that pays near 9% dividend. Typically you wouldn't expect any upside from capital gains, but its trading below par so there is an upside there as well of at least 10%. Locking into a 9% yield with some upside is never going to hurt you.

call_me_ishmael
07-21-2022, 03:57 PM
How are both of the above affording such a high dividend? What's the catch? Who wouldn't take 10% return in this market?

bobblehead
07-21-2022, 09:23 PM
How are both of the above affording such a high dividend? What's the catch? Who wouldn't take 10% return in this market?

Office REITs were crushed to say the least. SLG was owning some high quality product and their revenues suffered, but not nearly as much as the market priced in. since dividend is a correlation to price, the % got pretty high. The underlying assets they own are producing again. They need to do a little catch up as far as payout ratio, but its getting there. When that ratio gets under 80% the price will correct to about a 5% dividend or so.

PFFA is preferred stocks, many of which offer yield of 6%+ (with no capital upside). So now, get a professional like Jay Hatfield picking out the best valued ones and then leveraging them you end up with 8%....then the market sells off (irrationally in the case of most preferreds) driving price below the standard par of $25 and you end up with a 9% yield on a pretty safe and diverse portfolio.

call_me_ishmael
07-21-2022, 10:06 PM
How do I know when to sell them? I am interested in making the 10%.

bobblehead
07-22-2022, 10:58 AM
How do I know when to sell them? I am interested in making the 10%.

My personal investment strategy is to only sell a quality dividend stock when it becomes over valued. So if SLG becomes priced to the point the dividend resides around 4.6% or lower I might sell...but I like to just take my monthly income from my portfolio and generally only sell when things are absurdly overvalued. PFFA likely won't ever get to that point. Preferreds are stable and safer than equity stocks. If somehow it priced up well over the $25 mark that most preferreds call "par value" then its probably smart to sell, but that just doesn't happen often.

I have a few rules when investing that have helped me dodge bad outcomes. I don't pay for absurd growth estimates (tesla and such). I don't buy china (alibaba and such). For the most part I don't buy stocks with dividends under 4%. I try to buy stocks that are trading at 20% or below historical norms. Stocks with a longer track record ideally. Then before I buy them I analyze whether there is a fundamental reason the valuation has fallen. If not, then that is usually a great investment. 4+% cash flow to wait for valuation to correct. Sometimes it happens fast, sometimes it takes years. Altria has been in a bear market for a decade, yet they keep paying a monster dividend and keep buying back their shares. They remain profitable, even growing profits year after year. I have owned it for awhile and am down overall, but I still rake in a nearly 7% dividend on the cost I payed for it. I can live with that playing out for another decade.

bobblehead
07-22-2022, 12:56 PM
Hey Ish, MFC is also WAYYY down from historical norms and pays a 5.9% dividend. Now I'm wary of it since I think there could be an explanation for their big hit to profits, but since you don't believe me in the other forum this would be a great investment opportunity. I'll pass however.

call_me_ishmael
07-22-2022, 04:17 PM
Yeah I'd love to hear more. I have 220K in cash sitting around right now. I want to invest ~100K of it. I am _very_ comfortable getting an 8-10% ROI. If it's basically guaranteed, I'm in. This is my "this is going to be a really bad recession" fund so losing it is not an option.

bobblehead
07-23-2022, 10:39 AM
Yeah I'd love to hear more. I have 220K in cash sitting around right now. I want to invest ~100K of it. I am _very_ comfortable getting an 8-10% ROI. If it's basically guaranteed, I'm in. This is my "this is going to be a really bad recession" fund so losing it is not an option.

There is no basically gauranteed. That is the reason you diversify. You need to find 10-20 stocks that are valued properly. That mitigates risk. You need to think long term. Investing done right is boring. Done wrong its gambling.

I'm not sure your age, but guessing it to be 40ish or under? You should take all your coinage that is for investing, split it between S&p 500 and QQQ (nasdaq). You will be heavy in all the big tech companies, but that is ok because you have near a 20 year timeline. It will have good years and bad. No one I have ever met is smart enough to predict when those will occur with any great accuracy. Again, done right its boring.

My advice to nearly everyone I meet (because very very few have the skill AND desire to study stocks) is simple. 1) Max your 401k if you have one, or IRA if not 2) Pay off your house and if you move put all the equity into your new house. 3) If you have done both of those and have money left over split the S&P and QQQ in a TDameritrade account.

Unless you are truly a professional investor that is the best play in 99% of the cases....which is why I haven't spent a lot of time on this thread. To my knowledge no one in this thread is a professional trader, so picking individual stocks is a fools errand. They will panic at the wrong times and get frothy at the wrong times. Most people who don't just invest and leave it average around 3% return because they get excited and buy when stocks are going up and get scared and sell when they are down. i.e. buy high and sell low.

Right now we are in a historically HORRIBLE first 6 months of a year. I am all in and have extended my margin buying about 12% (and it has gone up nearly daily). I expect we are heading in the right direction since the market precedes the economy by 6-8 months. The market already has had the recession we are in/headed into and its already moving out of it. this is also why its imperative to be honest with yourself and not follow the media who continually insist that 9% inflation and a shrinking economy isn't a recession. It certainly is. When they say things like "we might have a mild recession next year" they are lying with an agenda. But I'm getting political here and don't want to offend others in this thread. We are in a recession and we likely will be coming out of it very early next year. So I expect the market to begin improving....BUT that doesn't mean I went all in on my margin because predicting the market is a fools errand. I simply cost average on the way down, then trim profits on the way up. At a certain point of over valuation I will begin to build a cash position (which I was in by late 2021). Sometimes I sit on cash for longer than I am comfortable, sometimes my margin is extended for longer than I am comfortable because I can't guess WHEN the market will reflect valuations properly. But I never get more than 20% into the margin or 20% into cash. Again, slow, steady, boring.

So that was a hell of a response to a simple question, but I hope at least a few people walk away with a little more knowledge (and a little less gambling in the market).

australianpackerbacker
09-13-2022, 08:06 AM
Bitcoin in 2019 is akin to the Internet in 1995. People also said things like, you're never gonna be able to stream a video on the internet, much less listen to music. Email? Who needs that? We have fax baby! Who remembers AOL? Same thing with scalability of bitcoin, and also use case and adoption, but youre not gonna see that with the lens you are currently looking through, the same way internet naysayers couldnt visualize a future where the internet was in any way shape or form useful. If you really knew as much as you say you do about it, you would also understand, that it is a nascent asset class, and it goes through major hype cycles, like you mentioned when price went up to 19.3k and dropped to 3.2k. This is entirely normal in an asset class that is in the hundreds of billions that doesnt have a clear-cut use case, other than being digital gold 2.0, an excellent store of value, just like gold, but better, because more gold can always be mined, but bitcoin is and always will be capped at 21million. Im not pro crypto as much as pro bitcoin, i think 99% of altcoins are scams. Think about the stock market, it fluctuates 1-5%, and its market cap is in the TRILLIONS. So there is literally hundreds of billions of dollars being traded daily, basically more than the value of the ENTIRE cryptocurrency market cap. So put that into perspective with regrads to volatility. Same thing happend with Amazon and a lot of early tech stocks in the late 90s/2000s, they crashed hard because "no use case". When was a great time to buy Amazon? Exactly that time, just like it was a great time to buy BTC at 3k.

Yes, its usage is minimal right now, just like people using computers in the late 90s and smart phones in the mid 2000s was minimal. But consider this. The amount of people in the millions, that know and use bitcoin(and many like me dont spend their bitcoin, right now for me its a store of value with future potential as a medium of exchange) is roughly 25-30 million. The global population is 7.8 billion. And LOOK at the price, from simply 25-30 million people interacting and engaging in the protocol!!! As of today still 9200. Lets call it 10k for arguements sake. Now imagine 300 million people all over the world actively adopt bitcoin as a store of value or medium of exchange. The potential is on a level that is soo fucking ridiculous im shocked more people dont genuinely look into it. But its hard for most people to use an alternative currency when fiat currency, i.e. paper money, still works for 2 billion people. So in many ways the system has to fail people, just like it did in 2008 before the Federal Reserve started printing money to bail out the greedy fuckers that got us into this mess in the first place, debasing the very currency that everybody "trusts".

None of us were taught about money in school. Coincidence? Hell no, its by design. Just like you werent taught how to eat the right foods or heal yourself. Most people dont truly understand how fiat money works, if they did, they would riot. The average lifespan of a fiat currency is 27 years, so the USD is an anomaly, in many ways, and the bankers(the fraudsters) just started printing money again, calling it quantitative easing and negative interest rates, to prop up and continuously beat the dead horse. This is called Keynesian economics. It doesnt work. Fiat money, is essentially what is called "soft money". So i have 1000USD and that can buy me a new car in 1940, but since the bankers continuously print more and more money, naturally that 1000USD has much less buying power than it did even 10 years ago, essentially robbing you of your spending power, while your wages are exactly the same! This is why we all live in a global kleptocracy, the value of what we EARN, through hard work, is undermined by the greedy fuckers in power.

Bitcoin reintroduces the concept of Austrian economics, where a fixed supply currency can never be devalued or lose buying power. Consider this concept, that is unfortunately a sad reality. Would bitcoin exist at all if everybody totally and implicitly trusted the current economic paradigm to serve them and all their needs wholeheartedly? Why would it even exist if the current system was honest and worked for everybody?

Also, like i said earlier, bitcoin is an evolving tech, in 2017 maybe at worst case you had to wait 1hr at the HEIGHT of its hype cycle for a transaction to be completed because the network was congested. But since then we have had other protocols built on top of bitcoin that have evolved. Look up lightning network. Instant transactions(less than 10 secs) with almost minimal fees. This is an evolving tech so your stories that you had about it in 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021.....constantly need to be checked and evolved as computer science and cryptography does. Its not fair to compare bitcoin in 2010 to bitcoin in 2019 or 2029, but the overall trajectory is constantly evolving and going in the direction of largescale adoption.

https://www.lookintobitcoin.com/charts/bitcoin-profitable-days/

In the entirety of bitcoins existence, it has been profitable to hold bitcoin during nearly 94% of its ENTIRE EXISTENCE. Show me a stock, commodity, real estate, asset that has produced this result.

https://medium.com/@100trillionUSD/modeling-bitcoins-value-with-scarcity-91fa0fc03e25

This is what i was talking about earlier with regards to price appreciation, long term. Bitcoins stock to flow will be equal to that of gold, by 2024. Potentially valuing bitcoin up to 350-400k.

https://medium.com/coinmonks/bitcoins-natural-long-term-power-law-corridor-of-growth-649d0e9b3c94

Bitcoins long term power law.

All in all, ive put in 1000s of hours of research into understanding what the fuck this exactly is. And bottom line is, bitcoin in 5-7 years will become the defacto world reserve currency. And when this happens. There will be no more USD, EURO, FRANC, YEN, POUND. Why? Because bitcoin has the best, cryptographically secure, mathematically proven, sound monetary policy that is easily defined and predictable over the next 120 years, that cannot be altered or disrupted by any single entity or government. This is its true power. You no longer need to trust anyone or anything with financial honesty.

Best performing asset of the last decade. Will continue to be the best performing asset of the next decade. Why?

Bitcoin is the invention of ultimate scarcity, the most perfect monetary good ever invented. Fixed supply currency that's highly divisible. Erases the idea of a central authority. Own as much of it as you can while people still don't understand these concepts. Your grandchildren will be grateful.

The next 3 years will be the world discovering Bitcoins role to protect against hyperinflation, and total currency collapse. Dark times ahead, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Ask yourself what inflation is and how it works? What is its relationship to the idea of "time" and "money"? How do they share space? This is why Bitcoin is the best monetary asset ever invented.

Also, if anyone is wondering, when is the best time to buy bitcoin? Did you buy it when the price was bouncing between 3-13k in 2018-2019? Nope. Because you're stuck in short term trader mentality. In retrospect, long term, you will realise it is the only asset you ever need to own, because it is THE asset by which our future selves will understand what a true medium of exchange is. When this sinks in there will be no point holding any other, stock, bond, "crypto", or even to hoarde real estate. These things only make sense from the perspective of state controlled money.

Bitcoin will always be cheap until you realise what it is and how it works. You're witnessing the creation of a new monetary paradigm.

Gotta let the demons who are running the show bring us closer to the light for y'all to understand.

Also funny how quiet this thread has gone over the past 9 months! 🤣 REKT...🤣

call_me_ishmael
09-13-2022, 09:02 AM
I mean, I guess. I own several bitcoin and a lot of eth and I agree on some points but the proof is in the pudding, no?

Crypto also got rekted. It got rekted _a lot_ worse than my other holdings.

I agree the currency is very well designed and will eventually be a thing. I kind of want to go work at Square on payment infrastructure around BTC and work on making it a thing.

BTC needs to get to the state where I can just use a credit card and everything just magically works and insurance is a thing, etc. It's not there yet.

australianpackerbacker
09-13-2022, 11:23 AM
I mean, I guess. I own several bitcoin and a lot of eth and I agree on some points but the proof is in the pudding, no?

Crypto also got rekted. It got rekted _a lot_ worse than my other holdings.

I agree the currency is very well designed and will eventually be a thing. I kind of want to go work at Square on payment infrastructure around BTC and work on making it a thing.

BTC needs to get to the state where I can just use a credit card and everything just magically works and insurance is a thing, etc. It's not there yet.

Not sure what you mean when you say proof is in the pudding, unless you're referring to an "I'll believe it when I see it" type mindset. By that time the price will be on a different planet in terms of "USD" valuation. The opportunity is in the leap of faith. What bitcoin is essentially doing is erasing the idea of TRUST between two parties, by acting as an incorruptible medium of exchange. By erasing the need to trust, you build a level of comfort, honesty and truth in a society, and in a race of people, aka the human race, that has faith in one another in built into the concept of energetic exchange between one human being and another, so you're essentially evolving humanity. Imagine being able to trustlessly trust a person you do not know because the money is incorruptible. It also psychologically erases the need be dishonest, since everyone receives a fair cracking at earning a living. Show me the incentives and I'll show you the outcome. This is where true capitalism can be born, not the kleptocratic version of capitalism we are looking at today.

Also, Ethereum and all other "crptos" are designed to distract you from the reality of the points I've made above in different posts. The overlords in power can't lose control of the money supply, once they do its game over for all these endless wars, because then you have to ask for permission from people who will not give up their scarce asset to go and fight an external battle on foreign lands. This point is also the beginnings of the potential for true world peace between nations, because through true scarcity you can breed true prosperity. Inflation has the opposite effect, because the money being inflated is controlled by the people in power who dictate where that goes and how it gets washed through the system. Once hyperinflation kicks off, which we're already seeing with gas prices and household goods, people are going to start to wonder why the shelves at the supermarkets are empty. Its not just a supply-chain issue, it's a currency issuance/lack of scarcity and reliability in the medium of exchange aka lack of trust. Ultimate scarcity breeds trust, ultimately, leading to true wealth and prosperity, for as close to 100% as it can get. That in itself is a revolution.

Crypto is a pump and dump scheme, mostly. Sell people a pretty story with bells and whistles and.put a bit of marketing behind it and wholla, you got yourself a bunch of suckers buying tops. It's all designed to distract from the bitcoin invention. Nobody is going to know fuck all about NFTs same as nobody cares about the 2017 ICO craze with the "next bitcoin". Eth is garbage primarily because there is no fixed supply issuance and it's designed to enrich its developers.

Check out the lighting network.

Regarding your last paragraph, check out what's going on in El Salvador. They have adopted bitcoin as legal tender over a year ago and have rolled out applications for transferring cash into bitcoin instantly, and vice versa, via the lightning network. The technology people are asking for to get bitcoin in a position to have instant settlements ala visa and Mastercard, that's already here. It's just a little clunky, but given time all these things will evolve.

Most people will only start using it out of necessity, because what's coming in the very near future is all state controlled currencies will begin to hyperinflate, so all that money we spent working hard earned time for, will evaporate. It will be 2008 but on steroids. Their plans to replace it will be with a CBDC, so you have the option of going for freedom money or using programmable government money that will be linked to a carbon credit system and will dictate how you eat and move through the world. Aka social credit score. It's already like this in China.