PDA

View Full Version : PIMPING STOCKS

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bretsky
06-04-2013, 11:44 PM
OK....maybe not a ton of interest on this stuff in here
But my guess is we have some savvy investors.

This thread is for making any cases for investing in certain companies......or posting articles on specific stock investments.

In retail, two of my more favorite stocks (I am long both) are UA (Under Armour) and LULU
I am in both long term. I invested in them equally hoping one of the two will hit a home run long term. Both have a market cap small enough for a lot of profit and growth over the next 20 years.

Here is a decent article on three of the most beloved retail stocks out there

http://beta.fool.com/madhudube/2013/06/04/3-sports-apparel-companies-you-should-buy-in-june/35877/?source=TheMotleyFool

Bretsky
06-12-2013, 08:57 PM
I think RDN is a great spec play with nice upside; huge provider of PMI. Rules...ratios tightening...with improved housing market it's one to ponder. Anybody else want to bring a few stocks to the table. This was the last one I bought as just shy of 12; hopefully I don't lose my @ss :)

Patler
06-13-2013, 12:07 PM
I think RDN is a great spec play with nice upside; huge provider of PMI. Rules...ratios tightening...with improved housing market it's one to ponder. Anybody else want to bring a few stocks to the table. This was the last one I bought as just shy of 12; hopefully I don't lose my @ss :)

Radian Group Inc.?

Took a quick look. They have missed earning estimates for the last six quarters. It looks like they have missed significantly, too. Negative earnings since Q3 2011. Yet, a year ago it was a $4 stock, now $12. Not sure why. Usually companies that miss estimates badly suffer in the market, especially when they do it for a year and a half.

What's their story? Might they be primed for a price collapse?

Freak Out
06-13-2013, 05:53 PM
LULU got it's ass beat the other day B. Did you buy after that?

Bretsky
06-15-2013, 06:54 PM
LULU got it's ass beat the other day B. Did you buy after that?

I'm not sure what to do on LULU; their earnings were fine..........but IMO they had a fabulous CEO and she just resigned....or was let go. So I have a lot of concerns there.
Had she not resigned I think the stock would have been fine short term. They had some pants that came out last year that were partially see through and she recalled them all. I think that call was not liked by some at LULU. I am considering cashing in on LULU and rolling it toward Under Armour and a couple others.

Bretsky
06-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Radian Group Inc.?

Took a quick look. They have missed earning estimates for the last six quarters. It looks like they have missed significantly, too. Negative earnings since Q3 2011. Yet, a year ago it was a $4 stock, now $12. Not sure why. Usually companies that miss estimates badly suffer in the market, especially when they do it for a year and a half.

What's their story? Might they be primed for a price collapse?

You have to buy into the story and the recovery of the housing market to be in a believer of RDN. It's the largest provider of PMI out there. They are cleaning up their books and the regulations for getting homes with PMI and tightening and things will be getting more conservative in 2014 as well for homebuyers. I have been looking at RDN and Genworth as two potential ways to benefit form the improved housing market. I think RDN is more speculative but also more of a gamble. I am looking forward to taking a very close look at their next earnings report.

Bretsky
06-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Jim Cramer (who I find entertaining) had family night Friday and every couple years he recommends five stocks to buy and stick away for your kids and sleep well at night. On his list WERE Hasboro, Nike, McDonalds, Disney, and Apple

His new list is GAP (replaced NIKE) Dinsney, McDonalds, Disney, and Google as a FYI. I was watching thes how with my daughter and started jokingly chanting Under Armour to bump Nike. He later admitted he almost went with UA over Gap, but the growth and valuation was a bit too rich. He still recommends it as a buy......just rated it as the backup plan for kid portfolios

call_me_ishmael
06-16-2013, 11:52 PM
Follow @PeterGhostine. Best stock guy on the web. My advice: Buy AAPL. You're paying 50 cents for something that is worth a dollar. Peter is getting very bullish about Apple. Me? I recently bought Panera on Pete's adviec at 165 and sold at 192. Nice little flip in two or three weeks. Peter has Apple hitting 550 is the next few months and 850 before the end of 2014. Fundamentally, it's the strongest company in the world with a PEG at .5ish. PE is dirt cheap, too. Technically, trading volume is picking up and the 50 day moving average is about to jump up significantly as the 300s are falling off the trend line. I'm bullish.

FB is fricking cheap. Peter has a target of 32 on it. Not sure if that still applies as they have been getting hammered + all the privacy stuff. 32 - 23 = 9. 9/23 is 40%. 40% gain is solid.

Bretsky
06-17-2013, 08:39 PM
I have been bullish on AAPL but I'm taking a wait and see approch now. I would personally buy FB before AAPL; I have been pondering that one for a couple months and I think it offers huge upside

Joemailman
06-20-2013, 04:39 PM
A bit off topic, but the Dow dropped over 2% today supposedly due to investors worried about the Fed's plan to wind down their stimulus program. If the Fed feels the economy has strengthened enough that they can wind down the stimulus program, shouldn't that be greeted as good news?

MJZiggy
06-20-2013, 08:49 PM
A bit off topic, but the Dow dropped over 2% today supposedly due to investors worried about the Fed's plan to wind down their stimulus program. If the Fed feels the economy has strengthened enough that they can wind down the stimulus program, shouldn't that be greeted as good news?Yes. That's why you should buy index funds immediately.
(Know any good index funds?)

swede
06-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Think of the economy as the eponymous cadaver of "Weekend at Bernie's" fame and the fed's monetary policy of printing Monopoly money as the two guys holding him up.

If the two guys holding up Bernie have to let him go, he's sliding right down into the cheese log.

There are no new jobs, less wages, and almost no expansion of the manufacturing base. Corporations in the stock market have been cruising around Bernie's party and being profitable by reducing costs, not wanting to admit that the host isn't smelling too good, and not just because of the cheese.

MJZiggy
06-21-2013, 05:55 AM
Think of the economy as the eponymous cadaver of "Weekend at Bernie's" fame and the fed's monetary policy of printing Monopoly money as the two guys holding him up.

If the two guys holding up Bernie have to let him go, he's sliding right down into the cheese log.

There are no new jobs, less wages, and almost no expansion of the manufacturing base. Corporations in the stock market have been cruising around Bernie's party and being profitable by reducing costs, not wanting to admit that the host isn't smelling too good, and not just because of the cheese.

But if profits are up, there is SOME health there. There are other indications too, like my house selling in 12 hours with two offers, each for $10k more than the asking price, and the fact that my company can't hire fast enough, nor can our colleagues.

Patler
06-21-2013, 07:52 AM
But if profits are up, there is SOME health there. There are other indications too, like my house selling in 12 hours with two offers, each for $10k more than the asking price, and the fact that my company can't hire fast enough, nor can our colleagues.

You always have to be cognizant of the quality of any reported profits. Many companies achieve profits through accounting. There has been a lot of that recently.

It seems there are isolated pockets in the economy that are doing well, but overall it is unclear how healthy the economy really is. Much like real estate. In some areas prices seem to be recovering slightly, in other areas not so much. One resulting of tapering is likely to be an increase in mortgage rates, which could foster a decline in prices and/or slow down in sales.

Many investors are scarred of the stock market right now, with the experience of losing a lot of money just a few years ago. Many have sat on the sidelines during the last couple years, when good returns were relatively easy to achieve. Many who have gotten back into the market are leery of any change in the economy, and will sell because of a change without knowing if its good or bad. In short, there was some panic selling just because of the announcement. Panic selling means a decline in prices.

MJZiggy
06-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Many who have gotten back into the market are leery of any change in the economy, and will sell because of a change without knowing if its good or bad. In short, there was some panic selling just because of the announcement. Panic selling means a decline in prices.

In other words, when that happens, buy index funds?

Upnorth
06-22-2013, 10:26 AM
In other words, when that happens, buy index funds?

Buying an index fund is like saying I want to make slightly less than market returns. Either buy stocks or mutual funds whose managers have a history of getting higher than market returns after fee's.
As an aside once gold goes to 1250 I will start a small holding. I sold in July 2011 and prices are looking tempting.

Canadian REITs just went on sale and have attractive yields.

Patler
06-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Buying an index fund is like saying I want to make slightly less than market returns. Either buy stocks or mutual funds whose managers have a history of getting higher than market returns after fee's.
As an aside once gold goes to 1250 I will start a small holding. I sold in July 2011 and prices are looking tempting.

Canadian REITs just went on sale and have attractive yields.

That's the problem with index funds. My goal is to do better than the market as a whole. You can do that with market segment funds, but only if you know the segment very well.

I did fairly well with some US REITS the past year or so. while their dividends are still appealing, their prices have stagnated the last month or two, so I sold all of mine. If their prices decline, the nice dividend returns are eaten up quickly.

Gold does look like it could be an opportunity, doesn't it?

SkinBasket
06-24-2013, 08:42 AM
A bit off topic, but the Dow dropped over 2% today supposedly due to investors worried about the Fed's plan to wind down their stimulus program. If the Fed feels the economy has strengthened enough that they can wind down the stimulus program, shouldn't that be greeted as good news?

The idea being that when you stop cooking the books with federal tax revenue and government purchases of bonds, the stock market is primed for another H-U-G-E correction. All this printed money via "quantitative easing" has been flowing into the market, creating a false economic indicator the administration can point to to tell everyone that their policies are working despite an undead economy, stagnant unemployment which is much higher than reported if approach the number honestly, and growth that would embarrass a third world garbage dump.

Our economy is being manipulated the same way others have been in recent history, and it doesn't end well. I would think you're safe investing while this administration is around to provide enough smoke and mirrors to hide the Great Wall of China, but not any longer. The can hasn't been kicked down the road, it's been kicked off the end of the earth, and at some point, we will have to answer for it. When we do, there's going to be a lot of Americans that just lost literally everything to the shell game being played by our government and others with the market.

In other words, while I'm not alarmist enough to call the money man and tell him to move our investments 100% into foreign currency, preferably Muslim, I sure as shit wouldn't be dumping additional money into this market, unless you're prepped to lose 50% or more in a heartbeat. but then again, I'm no investor.

3irty1
06-24-2013, 08:55 AM
The idea being that when you stop cooking the books with federal tax revenue and government purchases of bonds, the stock market is primed for another H-U-G-E correction. All this printed money via "quantitative easing" has been flowing into the market, creating a false economic indicator the administration can point to to tell everyone that their policies are working despite an undead economy, stagnant unemployment which is much higher than reported if approach the number honestly, and growth that would embarrass a third world garbage dump.

Our economy is being manipulated the same way others have been in recent history, and it doesn't end well. I would think you're safe investing while this administration is around to provide enough smoke and mirrors to hide the Great Wall of China, but not any longer. The can hasn't been kicked down the road, it's been kicked off the end of the earth, and at some point, we will have to answer for it. When we do, there's going to be a lot of Americans that just lost literally everything to the shell game being played by our government and others with the market.

In other words, while I'm not alarmist enough to call the money man and tell him to move our investments 100% into foreign currency, preferably Muslim, I sure as shit wouldn't be dumping additional money into this market, unless you're prepped to lose 50% or more in a heartbeat. but then again, I'm no investor.

I figured you for more of a canned goods and ammo type investor.

SkinBasket
06-24-2013, 10:24 AM
I figured you for more of a canned goods and ammo type investor.

I got my thumbs in all kinds of pies. And honestly, the market is the one I feel worst about, because everyone knows it can't last. Everyone knows it's artificially inflated. But outside of stocks, which are also being pushed by government policies of low interest rates, there aren't a lot of options for 401k and some other money we have, some of which is tied up by tax implications - again by government regulation. So like the rest of the sheep, I still leave a chunk there, knowing damn well I'm going to regret it when the market corrects and loses 30-50% of it's fake value. I guess I'm kind of stupid that way.

Upnorth
06-24-2013, 10:55 AM
That's the problem with index funds. My goal is to do better than the market as a whole. You can do that with market segment funds, but only if you know the segment very well.

I did fairly well with some US REITS the past year or so. while their dividends are still appealing, their prices have stagnated the last month or two, so I sold all of mine. If their prices decline, the nice dividend returns are eaten up quickly.

Gold does look like it could be an opportunity, doesn't it?

I have been encouraging clients to move towards consistent dividend, ride out the short term insanity and use dividends to repurchase at a lower price. Or if they are really fearfull go money market for the next 30+days and get back at it.

Upnorth
06-24-2013, 10:58 AM
I got my thumbs in all kinds of pies. And honestly, the market is the one I feel worst about, because everyone knows it can't last. Everyone knows it's artificially inflated. But outside of stocks, which are also being pushed by government policies of low interest rates, there aren't a lot of options for 401k and some other money we have, some of which is tied up by tax implications - again by government regulation. So like the rest of the sheep, I still leave a chunk there, knowing damn well I'm going to regret it when the market corrects and loses 30-50% of it's fake value. I guess I'm kind of stupid that way.

Canada is ready for a big real estate correction, much like yours in 2008-2009 (maybe not quite so bad) which is why we sold all non argicultural real estate in April. We put it short term in the bond market, whoops, in the first 2 weeks we were up 2%, then lost 2.5% in the next 15 days. From a global perspective USA has some of the best investment stability right now, which does not say alot.

Patler
06-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Follow @PeterGhostine. Best stock guy on the web. My advice: Buy AAPL. You're paying 50 cents for something that is worth a dollar. Peter is getting very bullish about Apple. Me? I recently bought Panera on Pete's adviec at 165 and sold at 192. Nice little flip in two or three weeks. Peter has Apple hitting 550 is the next few months and 850 before the end of 2014. Fundamentally, it's the strongest company in the world with a PEG at .5ish. PE is dirt cheap, too. Technically, trading volume is picking up and the 50 day moving average is about to jump up significantly as the 300s are falling off the trend line. I'm bullish.

FB is fricking cheap. Peter has a target of 32 on it. Not sure if that still applies as they have been getting hammered + all the privacy stuff. 32 - 23 = 9. 9/23 is 40%. 40% gain is solid.

I have been bullish on AAPL but I'm taking a wait and see approch now. I would personally buy FB before AAPL; I have been pondering that one for a couple months and I think it offers huge upside

AAPL continues to fall. Two straight closes under $400.

From its high of $700 last September, AAPL's trading chart shows consistently lower highs and lower lows in the steady decline from $700. NASDAQ goes up, but AAPL goes down. At some point I will probably buy AAPL again, but not yet. No matter what the financial analysts say about a stock, ultimately, the market determines its price. AAPL has fallen from almost everyone's favorite to a stock many investors loath. People look at AAPL as a "loser" for them even though they made money on it, because they held on and ended up selling so far off it's high.

The market still dislikes AAPL. As long as it does, the stock will continue lower. I will wait.

Patler
06-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Interesting situation now with AAPL. It will start popping up on screens for income investors. Annualized dividend yield is now above 3%.

Upnorth
06-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Interesting situation now with AAPL. It will start popping up on screens for income investors. Annualized dividend yield is now above 3%.

Is a three % yeild worth investing in a company whose core business market share is under attack while also having trouble finding new markets? I would hold off on them a bit longer until just before their next product launch.

Also I am re thinking my 1250 gold statement. It came down in another rush and I am holding off until I see more price support above 1200. Im still bullish on REITs

Patler
06-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Is a three % yeild worth investing in a company whose core business market share is under attack while also having trouble finding new markets? I would hold off on them a bit longer until just before their next product launch.

Also I am re thinking my 1250 gold statement. It came down in another rush and I am holding off until I see more price support above 1200. Im still bullish on REITs

As I wrote above, I have no intention to buy AAPL now, just mentioned the dividend because some income investors arbitrarily screen for =/+3%. AAPL was never even a consideration for them before. Strictly a growth play previously. It opens up a new pool of potential buyers.

Patler
06-29-2013, 01:54 PM

I read an article today that said many of the biggest gold mines have production costs of nearly $1200/oz. It could provide a floor for prices over a prolonged time frame.

Upnorth
06-29-2013, 08:44 PM
I read an article today that said many of the biggest gold mines have production costs of nearly $1200/oz. It could provide a floor for prices over a prolonged time frame.

That was why I want to see price support there, if there is none or little there could be a large spill over as Indians and Chinese re think there portfolio. Misunderstood you apple comment Btw before sorry.

call_me_ishmael
07-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Perception is a funny thing. Apple's market share is growing, not shrinking. The entire market in general is exploding, too, so Apple will continue to see massive growth.

My guy Pete is bearish on gold. He is long term bullish on AAPL (850 in 2014) but still waiting for it to turn around.

It's iPhone season. I would buy now. Why be greedy? It's, what, a 6 forward PE right now? That's robbing a fricking bank.

call_me_ishmael
07-06-2013, 04:32 PM

I disagree with you. SPX is going up. 1800 soonish. Check out Scott Redler on Twitter. He's an SPX/SPY magic man.

call_me_ishmael
08-09-2013, 11:18 PM
FB made some cash - Up like 40% since I posted that, then AAPL had a nice 10% climb in the past two weeks, too.

Bretsky
08-17-2013, 01:59 PM
I sold my RDN for a profit of around 20%
I am concerned that with the Fed not investing in Mortgage Bonds the Housing Market is going to be in pain again soon. Nothing wrong with taking a profit and trying to find another gem. I also sold off my Bank of America (I hate the company but I bottomfeeded on this one when I bought) and EMC for a profit, and my BRCM for a loss. I wanted to have some available cash for the next month when I think some opportunities will come up to buy good companies at somewhat discounted prices on days the market tanks.

I've invested some money in ECOM; this one might be a Partial Special. It IPO'd this year and first earnings report really impressed me. It's highly speculative; a Bretsky specialty.....high risk...high reward.....who knows. I put money in about half my position.....plan on buying more by end of year

I am confident I want to invest in the following stocks over the next few months. Yahoo....new management is turning this company around, Facebook.....I am pissed at myself for not jumping in when I told me dad I was going to in mid 20's, EBAY (I think this one is fairly valued but I think they will spin off Pay Pal down the road and that IMO may be the future of billing, WWAV (food company who just had nice earnings and is in stage one of growth), and maybe MU (Micron Technologies)

I am intrigued by and still reading about ZNGA as a turnaround play now that they hired the Micrsoft Exec and he's cleaning some house and restructuring, but this one has been a dog.

KEEP IN MIND: this is kind of my play money and my investing style often leads to stocks that are home runs or strikeouts. I've got kids to put through college so my dream is these investments.....which function as my play money......I find one or two home runs. I am heavily vested in IRA's and 401K's so what I get out of my small stocks are a bonus.
At this point those are the birds I want to own by end of 2013 along with LULU, UA...UNDER ARMOUR , and AMAT...APPLIED MATERIALS...AND ECOM 9ChannelAdvisor.com).....whiich I will probably buy more soon).

I do think there are some great values out there, such as CSCO and even AAPL. But I'm not looking for a CSCO that will get you 20%. And while I'm confident AAPL will get you twenty percent over the next year.......this little portfolio is my lottery and I think it may take a while to double.

ANY IDEAS...............WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THEM !!!!!!

Bretsky
08-17-2013, 02:01 PM
BTW.....>VERY PISSED AT MYSELF for not putting my money where my mouth was (I touted the company to investing friends and jumping in Z (Zillow) while in the 20's. Since I'm in that industry, not showing balls with that stock will probably haunt me forever :(((((

call_me_ishmael
08-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Long with 155 shares of AAPL right now. Very confident in 650 and SOON. It's forming a gigantic cup on the chart. Technically, it is incredibly solid. Fundamentally, my opinion is it's very solid (low PE, high PEG though growth has slowed)

call_me_ishmael
08-18-2013, 12:39 AM
401Ks are the shit, man. I have been maxing mine out for 4 years, so inserted a total of 66K with like 3% of that coming from my employer. It's now valued at 98K. Baller as shit! I have put in zero effort managing this and it just grows and grows and grows!

I firmly believe that the 20s are the most important years of a person's life financially due to compound interest. Wife and I are both earning big bucks right now and pumping cash into the bank and house like mad. Goal is to pay off the 400K house by 32.

Bretsky
08-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Long with 155 shares of AAPL right now. Very confident in 650 and SOON. It's forming a gigantic cup on the chart. Technically, it is incredibly solid. Fundamentally, my opinion is it's very solid (low PE, high PEG though growth has slowed)

I agree AAPL is going up ...to the 600's....I'm just looking for multi baggers so I'm looking for the more gems

Bretsky
01-30-2014, 08:58 PM
OK HOMIIEEEEES

What's hot and not with stocks ? I want to meet and have drinks with Patler. His last stock analysis in the Packer thread really impressed me. I thought he was going to just be a low risk value only guy. I was deal wrong

I HIT ONE and MISSED ONE by NOT SWINGING

UA...............DA HOODY GENIUS OF APPAREL.......BOOM.........UNDER ARMOUR
Have owned this one for a year; crushed estimates and up $20 bucks today. Not much to dislike about this stock

I told me dad he HAS TO BUY DAM FACEBOOK early summer; then when they crused earnings estimates the first time he asked if I was in cause it went up $8 that day
Now it's about $30 more and I keep waiting for pullbacks that just aren't FRICKING COMING............I was a LOSER on this one by not swinging

Any views on Facebook here ?

If Partial is still reading, I hope he sold his Apple and rolled it to Facebook or other stocks.........lots of nice profits lately

any BIOTECH GUYS :????

Views on ISIS Pharmaceuticals ????? It is on my hitlist.

Also closely watching YELP and WDAY.

Would love to hear what others are doing

Bretsky
01-30-2014, 09:56 PM
REVOLUTIONARY TECHNOLOGY ALERT

THE CLOUD

Anybody following Cloud Stocks ? Concur blew estimates away today. CNQR. Facebook as well. I've been watching WDAY (Workday) and YELP lately.

Any pimping ?

call_me_ishmael
01-31-2014, 01:05 PM
AAPL is going to 900 in 2014. Allegedly, it will bottom at 425 first. I'd get long soon. I told you FB was gonna double. I sold it too early.

I've been too busy with other stuff to trade a lot lately.

Bretsky
02-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Partial.....I think you need to get back into the research game SOON
I'm a bit disappointed....with you being a techie...that you dont have your list of the BEST CLOUD STOCKS

I'm also surprised you are still pimping Apple; it's just not the stock it used to be. Their price is about where it should be.

New innovative technogies are coming out where you can hit multibaggers IMO; I'd much rather Chase those than throw my money at Apple right now; the evidence out there is things are just slowing there. It's a few great quarters away from being a 900 stock IMO

Bretsky
02-01-2014, 06:32 PM
AAPL is going to 900 in 2014. Allegedly, it will bottom at 425 first. I'd get long soon. I told you FB was gonna double. I sold it too early.

I've been too busy with other stuff to trade a lot lately.

Read about Facebooks last earnings report and listen to the conference call. I'm thinking about swallowing my pride about not getting in earlier and finding an entry point.
I'll put my money there before APPL

MJZiggy
02-01-2014, 06:43 PM
I should invest in FB considering how much I use it. There was an article recently that predicted that FB would lose 80% of its users based on an epidemiological study. I LOL'd.

Kiwon
02-01-2014, 08:18 PM
I should invest in FB considering how much I use it. There was an article recently that predicted that FB would lose 80% of its users based on an epidemiological study. I LOL'd.

MJZ - Social Media Change Denier. You troglodyte.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-stock-minute/facebook-to-lose-80--of-its-users-by-2017--according-to-a-new-study-142057526.html;_ylt=A0SO8yXMqe1SfioAMzhXNyoA;_ylu=

Bretsky
02-01-2014, 09:00 PM

Read and listed to facebook's conference call from last week; their earnngs, growth, and that call were scary good

Bretsky
02-01-2014, 09:04 PM
MJZ - Social Media Change Denier. You troglodyte.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-stock-minute/facebook-to-lose-80--of-its-users-by-2017--according-to-a-new-study-142057526.html;_ylt=A0SO8yXMqe1SfioAMzhXNyoA;_ylu=

I don't buy into this; Facebook is growing on so many levels even if it loses some of it's users....the ad revenew and mobile are growng so fast.
For what it's worth I'm not an investor in Facebook yet....still trying to figure this one out..........but they just reported, to my surprise, a dynamic report and growth outlook.
Each time they've did this they follow through with a better quarter than projected.

Got any stock ideas ? I'm always game to research

Patler
02-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Late 2013 was a pretty easy time to make money, so I don't claim any great investing acumen for having done so. More winners than loser, and some up big. I made a few blunders too. Some of the stocks I own right now:

I bought FB in late October under $50, so I am up about 30%.
UBNT bought twice, sold half when I was up 20%. it rose more, then fell. Up 4% on what I have left.
MPAA in November, up 18%.
Z in September, down 6%

Biggest mistake in 2013 - CRUS - stubbornly held on as it fell, lost nearly 35% before I came to my senses. The only thing that makes me feel "better" is that it fell even more and is still lower today than when I sold.

Been playing with Biotechs a lot the last year. Very mixed results so far. Currently own MDVN (prostate cancer drug) that just released some very good clinical study reports. Jumped about 13% early last week. I'm up 32%. I own PCYC, which hasn't made any $ for me.

Owned a couple that had some interesting drugs in clinical trials, which ended up inconclusive, or worse. Lost $ on THLD.

Bought QCOR in 2012. Held for a long time waiting for FDA approvals and final clinical reports. FDA came back with questions and the stock fell. There seemed to be more than normal publicized back & forths between the company and the FDA. I held through a lot of ups and downs, some analyst turned sour on them, which confused me because I thought things seemed to be in a hold rather than negative with the FDA. But, as more experts turned negative I figured I wasn't knowwledgeable about the procedures, so I waited for a good point, got out losing just a little. It dropped a bit again. then turned around and has climbed ever since. I bought and ultimately sold at around $32. It's gotten into the $70's since I sold, so I missed a 100%+ gain. Oh well.........

I wanted to buy AAPL last spring/summer when it was hanging around $400, because that was...ridiculous. But, I was fully invested and didn't have anything I wanted to sell. Right now, investors really have no patience with AAPL

Kiwon
02-03-2014, 10:29 AM
I don't buy into this; Facebook is growing on so many levels even if it loses some of it's users....the ad revenew and mobile are growng so fast.
For what it's worth I'm not an investor in Facebook yet....still trying to figure this one out..........but they just reported, to my surprise, a dynamic report and growth outlook.
Each time they've did this they follow through with a better quarter than projected.

Got any stock ideas ? I'm always game to research

I was looking hard at FB at $29 but did nothing. I DO believe the research and I think they will need to adjust their business model and find other streams of revenue in the future. Americans are very privacy conscious and Zuckerburg is way too cozy with D.C. for me. I think he's capable of selling out his members if it benefits his own personal ambitions.

Personally, I think Twitter could have more permanence than Facebook in the long run. But, again, it's business model is also unproven.

But I can't complain about missing out of FB because my two single remaining stocks did outstanding. I'm getting gun-shy with individual stocks so I have been in the 'buy and hold' camp for a while. Watching Amazon cross the $400 barrier after I sold it at $13 in 2002 will do that to you. :wink:

Short-term, I do have a little cash that I will probably invest after there is a bigger correction. Long-term, I hate the Fed's interference in the Market and changing the rules as they go along. I think the Market is artifically high and several underlying systemic problems have still not been addressed. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a major pull-back after November 2014 for domestic reasons or possibly sooner for international reasons.

Approval and construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline could change everything, however. Wow, imagine real jobs again and a country heading toward energy independence!

Patler
02-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Long-term, I hate the Fed's interference in the Market and changing the rules as they go along. I think the Market is artifically high and several underlying systemic problems have still not been addressed. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a major pull-back after November 2014 for domestic reasons or possibly sooner for international reasons.

Agreed, and weening from it will cause a lot of turbulence in the market on its own, even apart from the real economic factors. Even the announcements months ago of the Fed pulling back sometime in the future made the market gasp.

I had several really nice winners that I almost sold two weeks ago. It is a relatively small account that I actively trade just for the fun of it. I wish I had now. I should anyway, because my gut tells me there are better things to go to right now than the ones I almost sold then. I should have spent some time over the weekend planning.

call_me_ishmael
02-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Read about Facebooks last earnings report and listen to the conference call. I'm thinking about swallowing my pride about not getting in earlier and finding an entry point.
I'll put my money there before APPL

I wouldn't. Check out @PeterGhostine on Twitter. He is the single best tech analysts I've seen. I intend to get back into Apple in the coming weeks and run it all the way up to 900. I'm trying to convince the wife to let me put 100K into it. I doubt she'll let me, though.

I want the home run. I owe 300K on my house. I want to pay the bitch off within a year or two. Leaving AAPL with 200K would be a pretty sweet and life changing event for me.

Rodgers12
02-03-2014, 08:06 PM
I want the home run. I owe 300K on my house. I want to pay the bitch off within a year or two. Leaving AAPL with 200K would be a pretty sweet and life changing event for me.

Whatever happened to paying off the mortgage in 30 years? To do so by age 30, man, that's impressive. You're da man, Partial. Capitalism has been kind to you. Better hope I don't conquer the world. :)

Bretsky
02-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Palter and Kiwon...what stocks are you guys floating with ? Right now I'm in
Applied Materials
Under Armour
Yahoo
Channel Advisor (ECOM)
ZU-Zulilly
LOCK (Life Lock)

Had great returns with the first two, ok returns on the next two...and the last two are pretty recent and both pretty speculative IMO

I TOO almost jumped at Facebook at 24.....pissed now that I didn't.

Partial.....still shocked at you. Apple is fine....but there are so many with huge growth right now I'm surprised you are not embracing some of the futuristic ideas. I'm close friends with the investing guy at our company. He's looking for an exit point with AAPL as he's taken a loss and thinks it's not that well positioned.

Patler
02-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Partials's estimates of AAPL getting to 1000, or whatever by the end of the year missed badly in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Is the fourth time a charm?

Bretsky
02-03-2014, 11:11 PM
Partials's estimates of AAPL getting to 1000, or whatever by the end of the year missed badly in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

I don't doubt it's a good investment around these levels. But I think there are many many better bets to double that APPL....just IMO

call_me_ishmael
02-04-2014, 09:53 AM

Check out Peter Ghostine. He is the best technical analyst I've seen. He has AAPL hitting 900 in 2014. If Peter is actively calling for it, you can take it to the bank.

Again... Peter called for FB to double when it was at 25. Sure enough... it did.

call_me_ishmael
02-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Palter and Kiwon...what stocks are you guys floating with ? Right now I'm in
Applied Materials
Under Armour
Yahoo
Channel Advisor (ECOM)
ZU-Zulilly
LOCK (Life Lock)

Had great returns with the first two, ok returns on the next two...and the last two are pretty recent and both pretty speculative IMO

I TOO almost jumped at Facebook at 24.....pissed now that I didn't.

Partial.....still shocked at you. Apple is fine....but there are so many with huge growth right now I'm surprised you are not embracing some of the futuristic ideas. I'm close friends with the investing guy at our company. He's looking for an exit point with AAPL as he's taken a loss and thinks it's not that well positioned.

I only invest in things I follow closely. I have over 100K growing in the 401K, so I let that just do it's thing and don't worry about it. There is a lot of opportunity in 3D printing but again - I don't follow it closely enough to invest in it.

I do have a few bitcoin and litecoin but that is really just a moonshot thing to see what happens. I intend to hold these for a very long time.

My uncle swing trades triple leverage EFTs and I guess he has an algorithm where he hasn't lost a trade yet. He says it takes some serious balls and he has come close to losing his ass a few times, but he has always ended up coming out a head or even. I may start doing this and following his algorithm.

Right now... my focus is on the really big win. I'm building companies now. That is the best way to make big bucks.

Kiwon
02-04-2014, 11:51 AM
The two individual stocks I'm in are SIRI and ALU.

I have held positions for several years and many times wished I hadn't. Bankruptcy was a possibility with both. However, SIRI is finally profitable and ALU came back to life in 2013. Both are risky and you shouldn't invest money you can't afford to lose.

But, both companies have good leadership now and are innovative. And when Tech recovers and D.C. gets out of the way, these two should purchase me a house one day. That's the plan, at least.

Otherwise, these days I'm all about maxing out my 401K contributions and lowering my taxes and investment expenses.

One thing missing from my portfolio are ETFs. I would be interested in knowing which ETF fund families appeal to the Packer Rat financial brain trust and their expense ratios.

3irty1
02-04-2014, 12:03 PM
The new microsoft CEO is a UWM grad. Time to buy.

Patler
02-04-2014, 12:14 PM
The only ETFs I have traded with any regularity are TZA and its opposite TNA, Direxion'se 3x small cap bear and bull. Overall, I have done OK, but certainly haven't profited every time.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda - kept telling myself a correction was due, and that it was time to play with these. It would have been a good time to invest equal amounts in both until the market direction was clear. It works out that you make money even if they respond identically on a percentage basis day to day, then when direction seems clear, dump the one and hold the other.

Probably should do that now, maybe later this week. Have to check the ouija board since I don't have an algorithm that is 100% accurate like some supposedly do.

call_me_ishmael
02-04-2014, 12:21 PM
My uncle does SPY and SPX is my understanding. He does a few more, too, but I don't know the details of those. He has told me that he's been over 100K in the hole before but luckily they bounced back up to bail him out. The premise of his algorithm (which he didn't write, it is from some book or something) is that you keep putting money in as it dips. I believe there is a fairly complicated set-up (way more complicated that a Tom DeMark sequential or something like that).

Here is the link to Peter Ghostine's twitter. He has started a company and taken much of his trading charts private, but he still posts pretty good advice publically at least once a day. This guy is generally considered one of the best at what he does. He flies under the radar, but his reputation is stellar. He isn't a finance guy, he's an electrical engineer. Just about everything is based around math and Fibonacci sequences.

https://twitter.com/PeterGhostine

Bretsky
02-04-2014, 08:39 PM
I only invest in things I follow closely. I have over 100K growing in the 401K, so I let that just do it's thing and don't worry about it. There is a lot of opportunity in 3D printing but again - I don't follow it closely enough to invest in it.

I do have a few bitcoin and litecoin but that is really just a moonshot thing to see what happens. I intend to hold these for a very long time.

My uncle swing trades triple leverage EFTs and I guess he has an algorithm where he hasn't lost a trade yet. He says it takes some serious balls and he has come close to losing his ass a few times, but he has always ended up coming out a head or even. I may start doing this and following his algorithm.

Right now... my focus is on the really big win. I'm building companies now. That is the best way to make big bucks.

You are in the tech industry, right ?
Do you embrace the idea that the cloud is going to be HUGE ?
There are a ton of start ups still in their very early stages as well as some due to IPO this year as well.

Bretsky
02-04-2014, 08:39 PM
The two individual stocks I'm in are SIRI and ALU.

I have held positions for several years and many times wished I hadn't. Bankruptcy was a possibility with both. However, SIRI is finally profitable and ALU came back to life in 2013. Both are risky and you shouldn't invest money you can't afford to lose.

But, both companies have good leadership now and are innovative. And when Tech recovers and D.C. gets out of the way, these two should purchase me a house one day. That's the plan, at least.

Otherwise, these days I'm all about maxing out my 401K contributions and lowering my taxes and investment expenses.

One thing missing from my portfolio are ETFs. I would be interested in knowing which ETF fund families appeal to the Packer Rat financial brain trust and their expense ratios.

Of the two, which do you think one should be buying now ? I have been pondering ALU myself.

call_me_ishmael
02-04-2014, 11:07 PM
You are in the tech industry, right ?
Do you embrace the idea that the cloud is going to be HUGE ?
There are a ton of start ups still in their very early stages as well as some due to IPO this year as well.

Cloud will be huge, yes, but cloud is vague. What is cloud? I think TWTR will be huge eventually because it provides a value proposition. Are you talking abut virtual machine providers, or what do you mean by cloud? Cloud hosts, or software makers? I think Salesforce will be big, Jive seems like a decent buy at 10 bucks, etc.

I think Google and self driving cars will be insanely, unfathomably large.

I'm a gambler to a degree, but I don't really mess with stocks that I don't feel confident in. I'm extremely bullish on Apple. They are the strongest company in the world and valued like a chump. This soon, will change.

Kiwon
02-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Of the two, which do you think one should be buying now ? I have been pondering ALU myself.

SIRI's majority stakeholder, John Malone at Liberty Media, is trying to take 100% ownership right now so it's possible that small guys like me will get bought out and not get to enjoy the benefits as SIRI brings video and other services to cars, along with other developments in the future.

ALU still isn't profitable but they have finally found a leader with a plan and have been downsizing for years to address their debt problem. They have new loans and near-term bankruptcy is off the table. They are being innovative, creating new products and are globally positioned. When the global business environment finally improves, there will be a ton of spending in telecom hardware upgrades. The more tablets and smart phones sold, the greater the need for the ISPs to improve their systems. Their LTE products are strong and have several contracts to build 4G networks in developing countries.

Overall, they have only a small market share compared to CSCO and ERIC but they have gotten off the mat and are making some noise. In addition, the financial firms are starting to believe in ALU's CEO and investing, hence the rise in their stock price from $1.27-$4.68 (52-week low and high). I added to my positions in 2012 at $0.99 and $1.61 so you know that I'm happy right now.

I live in South Korea where everything is broadband and 4G networks are available almost nationwide. We love our speed here. But wouldn't it be cool to have 1 gigabit-per-second residential service in the good 'ole USA? It's possible. - http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/chattanooga-tenn-announces-only-1-gigabit-broadband-service-in-us-for-both-residential-and-business-customers-102768309.html

ALU is doing some good things and they are worth investigating. The whole sector, though, when it recovers will make a lot of people wealthy. I think we will visit some of the valuations of the Internet-bubble age again. Everything will be about data, speed, and storage, driven relentlessly by business and consumer demand.

Again, don't invest money that you can't afford to lose but I think ALU is relatively safe at this point. But I would definitely look to get in before they turn profitable though because once they cross that barrier I think the momentum will take them much higher. Overall, they will go as the sector goes. It's not a question of 'if' but a matter of 'when'. Buy and hold.

(P.S. - Somebody believes in the stock. It was off 3.5% yesterday and then up 8% today before their earnings report on Thursday. Yes, I'm smiling.)

SkinBasket
02-05-2014, 10:26 AM
I made a killing on MGM. Or I did last time I checked. Maybe I'll switch to this ALU, whatever that is. I invest like a blind retard, and it works.

Bretsky
02-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Check out Peter Ghostine. He is the best technical analyst I've seen. He has AAPL hitting 900 in 2014. If Peter is actively calling for it, you can take it to the bank.

Again... Peter called for FB to double when it was at 25. Sure enough... it did.

CURIOUS.........What was he saying about Apple two years ago ?? Was he calling it a dog ?

Bretsky
02-05-2014, 07:00 PM
I made a killing on MGM. Or I did last time I checked. Maybe I'll switch to this ALU, whatever that is. I invest like a blind retard, and it works.

It is interesting; I do too much stock research and like SIRI and ALU before it was noted in here. I watch Mad Money...aka...Jim Cramer each night for starter ideas to investigate. Under Armour has been my kick ass stock so far. But it's one of those that has had such a great run it's almost scary to throw more money at. So I'm just going to keep riding the wave.

Bretsky
02-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Hate to say it...but Apple is now a slow growth stock with a HUGE cash position...so I don't thnk there is a ton of risk at these levels....but the reward IMO is not what it used to be either. It may double in the next three years and I'd be happy to see that happen. If Apple is growing then the odds are some of the turbo growth stocks will be kicking ass as well.

Cloud stocks I've been watching, for what it's worth, include WDAY, NOW, YELP, and FB...which the latter is really a play on multiple things that are growing fast within the company.

Bretsky
02-05-2014, 07:16 PM
If you are a believe in TWTR a chance to get in might come soon. Disappointing growth for a stock that is very richly priced.
FB reported last week; TWTR this week. Two very contrasting outlooks. Facebook crushed expectations and went way higher and TWTR is probably going to get crushed tomorrow due to not hitting expectations.

call_me_ishmael
02-05-2014, 10:51 PM
CURIOUS.........What was he saying about Apple two years ago ?? Was he calling it a dog ?

Yep, he called it. That was easy to see if you followed tech analysis (which I didn't). Trading completely dried up. Gotta look at volume and option prices. It made NO sense for it to happen - the company was so strong - but the indicators surely supported it happening and if you were into technical analysis you would have saw it coming a mile away.

call_me_ishmael
02-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Hate to say it...but Apple is now a slow growth stock with a HUGE cash position...so I don't thnk there is a ton of risk at these levels....but the reward IMO is not what it used to be either. It may double in the next three years and I'd be happy to see that happen. If Apple is growing then the odds are some of the turbo growth stocks will be kicking ass as well.

Cloud stocks I've been watching, for what it's worth, include WDAY, NOW, YELP, and FB...which the latter is really a play on multiple things that are growing fast within the company.

I couldn't invest in any of those but FB. I can't invest in something I don't think is fundamentally sound. What does Yelp do for money? Are they in the black or red? What kind of growth can we expect? Lots of funny money in the valley.

AAPL is a growth stock. It's the law of large numbers. 8% growth at 200B is a hell of a lot more additional profit compared to 50% growth at 5B.

iWatch rumors have it coming out soon with sensors galore. I'm a little skeptical personally... but I guarantee you they are pumping an absurd amount of money to getting glucose level through a sensor without the prick. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but it'll happen, and it will be an additional 50 billion in revenue per year. The race for the diabetes market is on. Diabetes is going to be the world's biggest health problem very soon. Google has prototypes of contact lenses that can measure glucose, but they are a very long well from market.

TWTR is down 20%. Good time to buy in the coming weeks. Follow Pete and see what he says about it.

Patler
02-06-2014, 07:50 AM
I couldn't invest in any of those but FB. I can't invest in something I don't think is fundamentally sound. What does Yelp do for money? Are they in the black or red? What kind of growth can we expect? Lots of funny money in the valley.

AAPL is a growth stock. It's the law of large numbers. 8% growth at 200B is a hell of a lot more additional profit compared to 50% growth at 5B.

iWatch rumors have it coming out soon with sensors galore. I'm a little skeptical personally... but I guarantee you they are pumping an absurd amount of money to getting glucose level through a sensor without the prick. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but it'll happen, and it will be an additional 50 billion in revenue per year. The race for the diabetes market is on. Diabetes is going to be the world's biggest health problem very soon. Google has prototypes of contact lenses that can measure glucose, but they are a very long well from market.

TWTR is down 20%. Good time to buy in the coming weeks. Follow Pete and see what he says about it.

Google is not even certain that tears or anything else associated with the eye are reliable indicators of glucose levels, let alone having a contact lens suitable for using it. In a lot of ways, Google has the cart before the horse on that one.

call_me_ishmael
02-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Google is not even certain that tears or anything else associated with the eye are reliable indicators of glucose levels, let alone having a contact lens suitable for using it. In a lot of ways, Google has the cart before the horse on that one.

Yep. Long way from market. I guarantee you that Apple is pumping as much money as they need to figure out how to get glucose levels through the skin via the wrist within 2-3 years. iWatch isn't about today, it's about tomorrow. They get the glucose level, they get the 100B market.

3irty1
02-06-2014, 10:26 AM
The prickless blood sugar sensor has been the holy grail of biosensors for over 10 years. Are there actual breakthroughs?

call_me_ishmael
02-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Peter just said today that he wouldn't bet his IRA, but he'd bet anyone 100K that AAPL hits 900 in 2014 after retesting 425ish.

call_me_ishmael
02-06-2014, 11:30 AM
http://charts.61point8.com/Tradewinds/20140128/20140128-aapl.png

This is the earnings chart.

call_me_ishmael
02-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Another good chart detailing the rise and fall.

http://charts.61point8.com/20140106-AAPL.png

call_me_ishmael
02-06-2014, 11:37 AM
He used to put really good notes on them detailing exactly what was happening and why. Now, he makes 35 bucks a month for a subscription so he doesn't include that level of detail for free very often.

This is the scenario that's unfolding in AAPL. You can take it to the bank.

http://www.61point8.com/Portals/0/Article%20Images/20140106/20140106-AAPL-7.png

This is a detailed essay on why.

http://www.61point8.com/TradeWinds/TradeSetups/tabid/97/ID/61/Forecasting-Apple-Using-Evidence-Driven-Technical-Analysis--Members-Only.aspx

mraynrand
02-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Ha! I predicted the rare triple zig zag abc-X-abc-X-abc z slash halfback flat slot Z cross correction!

call_me_ishmael
02-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Either way, whether the cup finishes, or the bat finishes, just about everybody has AAPL hitting 750 in 2014. The chart really says it all.

Bretsky
02-06-2014, 10:19 PM

Dude.....answer your questions by going to read about YELP's earnings and conference call. They just killed it. FB and GOOD are safer investments, but YELP...WOW........up 20 % today.

Truth be told, I'm PISSED at myself for not jumping into YELP when it was in the 60's a sort time ago. Now it's 90.. I think this one...and FB...will be going way higher.

Bretsky
02-06-2014, 10:27 PM
You are one of the best Apple Pimps I know, and I hope you are right. I'd still buy GOOD or FB before Apple right now. And if you want to go more risky with a much greater rewad trying to find companies like YELP whose growth is going through the roof is exciting as well.

Truth be told. a company like Apple should buy YELP. But I hope it doesn't because I think I'd taking the plunge soon taking about half the position I want long term.

In the past week, we have learned some of these new IPO stocks are pretenders while others are contenders to get way bigger. Twitter, right now...a definite pretender. YELP has a shot to make people wealthy. I think the same of Workday and ServiceNow.

Apple is a safe pick IMO but GOOG is far more impressive right now if you are looking at stocks priced at those high levels IMO.

But I'm not looking for what Apple can offer me now. I get that it can double in the next one to three years. I'm looking for a high growth gamechanger that can offer multi baggers....... in the constant quest to get the huge returns of a company making a run like Apple did. So we're looking for different things. No rights or wrongs here.

Hopefully we both kick ass

call_me_ishmael
02-06-2014, 10:35 PM
GOOG will be the biggest company in the world someday. Self driving cars will get them there.

If AAPL bought a company like YELP, that's when I would say they're fucked and get out. That would be a true sign that they don't know what they're doing and just trying to do ANYTHING to get some mojo back. YELP and AAPL have very different business models and they don't align at all IMO. Web advertising is rapidly dying - that's why GOOG is getting into other areas of exploration rapidly.

I see TWTR providing far more business and economic value than YELP. Certainly long term. TWTR is, what, 3x the size in market cap? I see them as 100x more valuable of a company personally. It's all funny money and smoke and mirrors, though. Remember when GRPN and Living Social were the darlings despite not making any real money? Fundamentals matter when investing for the long term, but short term technical measures almost always win.

3irty1
02-07-2014, 07:30 AM
The engineer in me wants the google self-driving car to be a thing but the business administrator in me thinks Tesla's less ambitious autopilot that doesn't require a crazy expensive Lidar unit is a lot more likely to become a thing.

Kiwon
02-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Some ALU news brought to you by Inspector Clouseau.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101392466

Kiwon
02-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Ha! I predicted the rare triple zig zag abc-X-abc-X-abc z slash halfback flat slot Z cross correction!

Oh yeah? I predicted the first offensive play in the Super Bowl would result in a safety. It was obvious. The signs were all there.......IF you knew where to look.

I usually don't do this but if you'll pay me $20 a month I'll share my unique insights with you. Don't you want to impress the other Rats and overtake Harlan in the reputation bar race? As Russell Wilson's dad might ask you, "Why not you, mraynrand? Why can't you be the most popular Rat?"

$20 a month, such little money to gain a wealth of self-esteem. You deserve to be successful. You owe it to yourself, the Packer Rats, and the world to be the best 'you' you can be.

Are you ready to take that next step? Armed with superior knowledge and insight, are you ready to debut the new and improved, confident and self-assured 'mraynrand'? I can see those green reputation ticks pouring in now. You're a born #1. You have always sensed it but now you can prove it. You just need my insights to help put you into that top position you are destined for.

Com'on Champ! Just $20 a month for the ultimate in online respect.

Order now! :tup:

mraynrand
02-07-2014, 10:18 AM
I'll give you $20 to explain the crab harmonica

mraynrand
02-07-2014, 10:29 AM
I usually don't do this but if you'll pay me $20 a month I'll share my unique insights with you.

Are you referring to the 1 weird trick that can let me retire 100% tax-free?

call_me_ishmael
02-07-2014, 11:24 AM
I'll give you $20 to explain the crab harmonica

Crab is a common chart pattern. I don't understand a significant amount of the stuff. The big premise is that when certain counts are achieved, you have these predefined pullbacks and bounces that follow some % based on the 1.618 golden ratio.

I typically just observe the chart patterns and follow the advice we normally posts about it. Peter is easily the best I've ever seen.

Bretsky
02-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Crab is a common chart pattern. I don't understand a significant amount of the stuff. The big premise is that when certain counts are achieved, you have these predefined pullbacks and bounces that follow some % based on the 1.618 golden ratio.

I typically just observe the chart patterns and follow the advice we normally posts about it. Peter is easily the best I've ever seen.

It worried me when you say you don't understand a lot of the stuff but take his word like a Bible. If he's calling all of ths stuff, I'm wondering why you are still in Apple. Woudn't you have sold long ago and now wait for the $425 ? I'm honest here in that I am NOT remotedly a technical expert. I read a lot about the fundamentals and companies I invest in and really read about their earnings reports and forecasts going forward.

I'm pretty much only searching for hyper growth companies....so I understand the valuations of some of the stocks I own and am most interested in will be high.

I also understand I'm looking for the multi baggers and with that comes a very high amount of risk....and reward if I hit the right ones. So I'm investng with money I can lose so I feel fine looking mainly at high risk/reward stocks

Bretsky
02-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Partial......you should watch Mad Money. I tape it every night and watch it DVR wise. Really a nice spot to discover companies for future research.

call_me_ishmael
02-08-2014, 07:53 PM
It worried me when you say you don't understand a lot of the stuff but take his word like a Bible. If he's calling all of ths stuff, I'm wondering why you are still in Apple. Woudn't you have sold long ago and now wait for the $425 ? I'm honest here in that I am NOT remotedly a technical expert. I read a lot about the fundamentals and companies I invest in and really read about their earnings reports and forecasts going forward.

I'm pretty much only searching for hyper growth companies....so I understand the valuations of some of the stocks I own and am most interested in will be high.

I also understand I'm looking for the multi baggers and with that comes a very high amount of risk....and reward if I hit the right ones. So I'm investng with money I can lose so I feel fine looking mainly at high risk/reward stocks

He explains how the charts will play out based on trade volume, etc in plain english. It's easily understandable. The charts are a little harder to read every detail but the gist is pretty straight forward.

I use stops a lot. I trust him and am pretty confident in him, but I wouldn't bet all my money that's he's right. I bet he is, though. He has been INCREDIBLY accurate in the past year. People have made millions from following him and buying options accordingly. I don't do that sort of trading. Don't understand it nor do I want the risk.

As for the 425, I do think it will happen, but what if he's wrong? I'd rather get stopped out than sell it and be wrong. I use trailing stops to prevent loss and just let it ride for the most part.

You are more of a gambler than I. I only invest in stuff I follow closely and fully understand. I will buy a lot of GOOG eventually but it's not time yet.

I'll check out your show, but like I said I don't invest in many companies. I have to follow it closely or I won't do it. I check AAPL probably 100 times a day in all honesty. Every time I restart a server, compile, etc.

Patler
02-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Do you realize your stop orders are known the the mm's, and on any day they feel like, they might simply go down and pick it off?

Patler
02-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Personally, I have a fundamental problem with chart pattern trading. It presupposes that past events are determinative of future performance. Like any trading system, it works sometimes, for some companies, if there isn't a fundamental change for the good or bad. In the end, the market works on supply and demand. Demand is based on appeal of the company. Over the long term, appeal comes from perceived future performance.

mraynrand
02-09-2014, 07:20 PM
It presupposes that past events are determinative of future performance.

http://hakimiyetimilliye.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/karl-popper-alertou-para-o-perigo-da-fe-dogmatica-na-ciencia-509x330.jpg

SkinBasket
02-10-2014, 03:51 PM
I know I've said it before, but I honestly hope ya'll aren't sticking a lot of cash into this house of cards. I may invest like a retard, but I don't invest a lot... at all. It's more for personal enjoyment. Because when they stop printing that money, the entire market is going to correct, no just this stock or that stock, and it's going to correct big time. You would have to be retarded to think this market is anything other than a political mirage. I know everyone thinks they'll see it coming THIS time, and jump off just as the engine jumps the rails, but some of you are nice people, and I don't want you to be poor.

mraynrand
02-10-2014, 04:39 PM
I know I've said it before, but I honestly hope ya'll aren't sticking a lot of cash into this house of cards. I may invest like a retard, but I don't invest a lot... at all. It's more for personal enjoyment. Because when they stop printing that money, the entire market is going to correct, no just this stock or that stock, and it's going to correct big time. You would have to be retarded to think this market is anything other than a political mirage. I know everyone thinks they'll see it coming THIS time, and jump off just as the engine jumps the rails, but some of you are nice people, and I don't want you to be poor.

you can't eat gold or government bonds either. So what are you investing in. You seem pretty well situated to buy farmland, animals, generators, fuel, guns, ammo, and other things that will have value once the crash comes. I was thinking of stockpiling fuel, generators, refrigerators and maybe perhaps insulin production equipment.

call_me_ishmael
02-10-2014, 10:03 PM

My SPX guy said it'd hit 1800. It's about to. Haven't checked in lately on when he said it'd be a top. I don't follow it closely.

SkinBasket
02-11-2014, 10:21 AM
you can't eat gold or government bonds either. So what are you investing in. You seem pretty well situated to buy farmland, animals, generators, fuel, guns, ammo, and other things that will have value once the crash comes. I was thinking of stockpiling fuel, generators, refrigerators and maybe perhaps insulin production equipment.

Balanced approach. Still use traditional investment tools, but I am prepared to lose 50% or more. True you can't eat gold, but gold has retained it's value for thousands of years and there's no reason to think the economic collapse of another festering civilization will change that. I don't have nearly enough to be a baron in the new world, but enough to make some critical trades if need be. Moving to the country was part of the plan, and allows us to be 80% self sufficient without any real stockpiling outside of common tools, including firearms and ammo. We also have the type of community here that would provide support and has an absolute wealth of practical knowledge for survival, which you simply can't buy. Speaking of which, I should also invest in more booze. I already do, but it tends to get used at an equal rate. In the case of threatening civil unrest, we would simply barricade the two ends of the road and carry on. Fresh water and food are in abundance, and we have some MRE type stuff squirreled away in case of emergency. Going forward, investing in a year's supply of 25 year shelf food (if nothing happens in 20 years I'll gladly eat it then and consider myself blessed), is a larger priority than any kind of market investment. Maybe a higher caliber rifle as well.

I'm not interested in any fueled device or fuel, as that resource will disappear almost immediately anyway.

I really think that the best case scenario is going to be a massive economic collapse - which at this point is all but unavoidable if you believe in math, followed by mainly urban unrest and destruction when government and basic services collapse, with bleed-out to the rural areas where the lawless will be put down like stray dogs until martial law restores a "benevolent dictator" to rule the democrats and other commies on the eastern seaboard while Texas leads a southern split for the folks who still cherish freedom, and the west is abandoned to Mexican and Chinese rule. Of course, after a couple decades of boarder confusion and mass population relocation, that will most likely lead to an internationally backed second war of northern aggression when the progressive regime mills through it's resources and continues to degrade and militarize while the limited government southern regime flourishes and renews relations with traditional allies, which won't be good for investing either.

Anyway, we've got more money than I would like invested in market based shit, but I'm also not counting on that money being there or being worth anything at the drop of a hat.

call_me_ishmael
02-11-2014, 11:04 AM
http://aviatalker.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/wut-babka.jpg

I imagine Skin in his 'coon hat out huntin' coyotes living off the land. Dude you're a rich white male you are golden. You will live a posh life of opulence. Bathing in milk type shit.

My investment plan going forward is to build a company. I'm looking for the 10x payback. I do okay right now but I want to make 1M annually. I'm constantly tired though so that is a drag. Tough to get by on 4-5 hours of sleep a night. I drink about 4-5 cups of coffee each day to get through but damn do I sleep hard when the time comes. Last weekend my wife let me sleep in and I slept 15 hours straight. It was glorious.

mraynrand
02-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Speaking of which, I should also invest in more booze.

I'm not interested in any fueled device or fuel, as that resource will disappear almost immediately anyway.

In KY, fuel and booze come from the same backyard contraption. Used to see a lot of them in the hills outside Morehead...

SkinBasket
02-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Why the fuck would someone bath in milk?

I hope this clusterfuck of a country stays together. I don't want my kids hunting to live and killing to protect themselves. But like I said, the math of modern ignorance doesn't add up - not even close to reality, so we prepare. If nothing catastrophic happens, we'll still have had a good, rewarding experience filled with shooting and eating and growing and building things. The way life used to be before wealth was measured in paper promissory notes and digitized numbers, both of which can disappear in a blink.

Not saying that trying to pull a few more years of pretend time with fake money isn't rewarding to some. Just don't bank on having anything to show for it, especially if you're horde of gold is in an absurdly inflated market with a pump about to run out of air.

Patler
02-11-2014, 12:41 PM
I really think that the best case scenario is going to be a massive economic collapse - which at this point is all but unavoidable if you believe in math,

Math? Nothing but a fad. Believe me, in another generation or two, it will all but be forgotten.
(All kidding aside, based on the performance of our public school system, it actually might be forgotten.)

SkinBasket
02-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Math? Nothing but a fad. Believe me, in another generation or two, it will all but be forgotten.
(All kidding aside, based on the performance of our public school system, it actually might be forgotten.)

No kidding there. Common Core dictates that if you can explain how you got your wrong answer, then it is right.

Patler
02-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Common Core dictates that if you can explain how you got your wrong answer, then it is right.

PLEASE tell me that is NOT something schools actually follow?!?!

MJZiggy
02-11-2014, 07:45 PM
No kidding there. Common Core dictates that if you can explain how you got your wrong answer, then it is right.
I'm so glad my kid learned actual math before they came up with this crap.

Bretsky
02-11-2014, 08:44 PM
:jack:

mraynrand
02-11-2014, 09:11 PM
SodaStream (SODA) rebounded Thursday on speculation PepsiCo (PEP) could reach a deal with the in-home soft drink maker after Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) stunned the industry late Wednesday by announcing a deal with Coca-Cola (KO) to develop a cold beverage machine. Deutsche Bank's Bill Schmitz believes there is a "small possibility" PepsiCo will form a similar partnership with SodaStream. He kept his hold rating and $53 price target on the stock.

Symbol: GMCR

Trailing PE 33; Forward PE: 24

PEG: 1.17

Dividend: 1.20%

Estimate Trend: UP

Ransom Note Trendline: Buy Green Mountain Coffee

call_me_ishmael
02-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Tom Demark sell sequential achieved in AAPL today. Not the best indicator, though, imo.

call_me_ishmael
02-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Kinda forgot about it as I only have 8 shares but Peter told me to buy TSLA right around 120 after a pullback from 160. I did. Now it's at 200. Bam! I'm telling ya, this guy is the best on the internet.

Bretsky
02-18-2014, 10:57 PM
I think we should pick a date to start and list the prices of Apple as compared to a few of my faves in the high growth tech dept....say....YELP, WDAY, FB, and AAPL ?

Logistically AAPL is WAY cheaper than these.....but it'd still be fun to track months down the road.

call_me_ishmael
02-18-2014, 11:57 PM
I think we should pick a date to start and list the prices of Apple as compared to a few of my faves in the high growth tech dept....say....YELP, WDAY, FB, and AAPL ?

Logistically AAPL is WAY cheaper than these.....but it'd still be fun to track months down the road.

You could pick any number of high growth stocks and do better maybe. That's not what it's about. When it doubles a year or so from now, I will be more than happy with my 2x returns and next to no risk. Think of me as a Warren Buffett type. I don't gamble, I take calculated risks.

Yours is a crap shoot. Those companies are not fundamentally sound. Most are houses of cards, if you will. While I think fundamentals mean jack shit on the 6 month timeline, they matter a lot of the 1-2 year timeline.

The fact that Google is valued at more than AAPL now is just crazy. Look at cash flow. Google will be worth more in 10 years but they aren't even close to in the same ball park today.

My gut feeling is this: Apple is aggressively buying back shares right now way ahead of schedule because they know the price is going to go up - way up.

My big bold prediction is this: IF they win the glucose-through-skin race (it's a crap shoot at this point, but I guarantee they are paying more money to get it then just about anybody) AND they are still valued at a chump change PE (say... 6-9), they will start the process of taking the company private in 2-3 years. That's right. The world's richest company is so rich they will be able to begin the process of buying themselves shortly. Obviously they won't have 450B in cash but they will have 250-300B.

Patler
02-19-2014, 08:02 AM
You could pick any number of high growth stocks and do better maybe. That's not what it's about. When it doubles a year or so from now, I will be more than happy with my 2x returns and next to no risk. Think of me as a Warren Buffett type. I don't gamble, I take calculated risks.

Huh??? Now you proclaim to be a value investor? Earlier in this thread you proclaimed to be a follower of a chart pattern trader. You also told us you are a frequent user of stops. Others of your posts seem to imply you are a momentum trader. Not much consistency in the way you describe yourself. That's OK, if you realize that you are simply feeling your way through investment philosophy education, looking for your own comfort zone. On the other hand, if you are simply bouncing from one hot hand to another hot hand, and justifying your reasons for low performance retrospectively, you could be following a dangerous path.

SkinBasket
02-19-2014, 10:31 AM
I got $50 from a liquidated company burning a hole in my account. Any suggestions on a dangerous sub $2.00 position?

Also, I've ridden MGM from $10 to $26. Should I stay on or jump off the boat?

Looks like a picked the wrong supplier of outdated communications equipment. NSATF is languishing, although they just secured a MASSIVE $1.5 million (Canadian) deal. I'm sure that'll send it through the roof any time now.

SkinBasket
02-19-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm considering dumping my $50 into SFBE and hoping they pick up a friend in government.

call_me_ishmael
02-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Huh??? Now you proclaim to be a value investor? Earlier in this thread you proclaimed to be a follower of a chart pattern trader. You also told us you are a frequent user of stops. Others of your posts seem to imply you are a momentum trader. Not much consistency in the way you describe yourself. That's OK, if you realize that you are simply feeling your way through investment philosophy education, looking for your own comfort zone. On the other hand, if you are simply bouncing from one hot hand to another hot hand, and justifying your reasons for low performance retrospectively, you could be following a dangerous path.

Technical + fundamentals. Technicals short term, fundamentals long term. Don't bother with stocks that are not fundamentally sound. I only invest in stuff I follow extremely closely outside of the crazy idea to buy TSLA, where I did okay on my few shares.

call_me_ishmael
02-20-2014, 04:06 PM
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/02/19/apple-ibillionaire-buffett-soros-icahn/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+fortuneapple20+%28FORTUNE%3A+ Apple+2.0%29

AAPL is the favorite stock of billionaires apparently.

call_me_ishmael
02-20-2014, 09:48 PM
A fundamental difference Bretsky is you are playing with money you are okay with losing. I am not. I will walk away with 150K when AAPL hits 1000. Maybe more if I can convince my wife.

Age plays a big factor. Every penny I earn right now is critically important. When I'm in my 40s, I hope it is less important because I will be more financially stable and comfortable.

Bretsky
02-26-2014, 12:11 AM
A fundamental difference Bretsky is you are playing with money you are okay with losing. I am not. I will walk away with 150K when AAPL hits 1000. Maybe more if I can convince my wife.

Age plays a big factor. Every penny I earn right now is critically important. When I'm in my 40s, I hope it is less important because I will be more financially stable and comfortable.

You are completely right here Partial
In a sense my investments in stocks are my fun money
I'm in mid 40's and am heavily vested in 401K's...etc....and am aggressively paying mtg off

So I'm not looking for the low risk stock that doubles in 2-3 Years

While I have a few stocks that are more established such as Yahoo and Applied Materials, the rest of my positions are high risk, high reward stocks that I'm hoping can be ten baggers someday.

The hyper growth stocks I own are YELP, ZU (Zulily), ECOM (ChanelAdvisor.com), and UA (Under Armour)

I also own WWAV (Whitewave Foods) and LOCK (Lifelock)
and to be completely honest I'm not sure what category I'd put them in but they are both in early stages as a company

ON A SIDENOTE.........another company I've really wanted to get a position in has been the cloud HR stock Workday (WDAY)

I have a terrible feeling they are going to blow away earnings expectations tomorrow and take off from about 98 to 120. We'll see. My two big regrets in the past year have been not jumping in Facebook and Zillow.

Patler
02-26-2014, 06:17 AM
So I'm not looking for the low risk stock that doubles in 2-3 Years

Low risk that will double in 2-3 years? Not asking for much, huh Bretsky? :lol:

While I have a few stocks that are more established such as Yahoo and Applied Materials, the rest of my positions are high risk, high reward stocks that I'm hoping can be ten baggers someday.

The hyper growth stocks I own are YELP, ZU (Zulily), ECOM (ChanelAdvisor.com), and UA (Under Armour)

I also own WWAV (Whitewave Foods) and LOCK (Lifelock)
and to be completely honest I'm not sure what category I'd put them in but they are both in early stages as a company

ON A SIDENOTE.........another company I've really wanted to get a position in has been the cloud HR stock Workday (WDAY)

I have a terrible feeling they are going to blow away earnings expectations tomorrow and take off from about 98 to 120. We'll see. My two big regrets in the past year have been not jumping in Facebook and Zillow.

I bought FB in October at $48+. The big question now is, should I take some profits out, expecting the price to pull back at some point allowing me to buy back in?

I bought Zillow in September at $87+. It has been a lot to a little lower ever since. I have to be patient with it. Seems like a business that could be wildly successful in the years ahead.

My biggest regret the last couple years? Not leaving some of my investment ride in stocks that I made nice quick gains in. For example, GOOG bounced around above and below $600 for a while. I bought it and sold it a couple times as soon as it reversed directions, making about 10% in just a few weeks each time. The last time I sold it was the summer/fall of 2012 after buying it around $580 and seeing it go quickly to $750, then turn lower. I made a very nice quick gain, but never bought back in again because it never fell below $600. I should have only sold 50% each time and left the rest ride. That would have allowed me to take out some profit several times, yet still leave some in for the long haul. At $1220 now, I would have more than doubled.

Even worse, I also did the same with YELP two years ago. Again, I made quick 10%-20% gains a couple times, but sold completely in September 2012 at $25. I felt pretty smart when it dropped to $17 just a couple months later, but not so smart now as it pushes toward $100.

My last regret was AAPL at $400 last spring/summer. That seemed like a no brainer, but I didn't have cash available at the time. I thought about selling one of my smaller mutual funds that has been a laggard and making a strong investment in AAPL.

Bretsky
02-26-2014, 07:08 PM
OK....well maybe low risk that doubles in 2-3 years was a bad way to put it :)

I would run with Facebook; it's always good to take some profits but I think they'll hit 100 before they hit 55. Just my view. Come on Man...jump back into da YELP

Zillow is a very sore one for me; I'm in the dam industry and think it's a great company. I was watching it and nearly pulled the trigger in the high 20's but pussied out. Since then I've just watched it run. I'm too demoralized in the stock to get in anymore.

I've read about Workday's earnings. To me it was a great report but I'll be curious how the market reacts to the report

Bretsky
02-26-2014, 07:14 PM
I got $50 from a liquidated company burning a hole in my account. Any suggestions on a dangerous sub $2.00 position?

Also, I've ridden MGM from $10 to $26. Should I stay on or jump off the boat?

Looks like a picked the wrong supplier of outdated communications equipment. NSATF is languishing, although they just secured a MASSIVE $1.5 million (Canadian) deal. I'm sure that'll send it through the roof any time now.

MGM...they've beat earnigns expectations the last four quarters and crushed them in December. If you find a new fun stock you like take half off the table and then what you have left in the stock is house money :) I'd probably run some more with MGM though. For what it's worth analysts expectations have improved the past six months and the growth looks impressive. In general...as long as a company keeps kicking the expectations ass I roll with it.

SkinBasket
02-27-2014, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the advice Bretsky. I don't read any of that complicated stuff. I just look at the line graphs. Only failed me once so far, but that company isn't dead... yet.

Patler
02-27-2014, 09:14 AM
OK....well maybe low risk that doubles in 2-3 years was a bad way to put it :)

I would run with Facebook; it's always good to take some profits but I think they'll hit 100 before they hit 55. Just my view. Come on Man...jump back into da YELP

Zillow is a very sore one for me; I'm in the dam industry and think it's a great company. I was watching it and nearly pulled the trigger in the high 20's but pussied out. Since then I've just watched it run. I'm too demoralized in the stock to get in anymore.

I've read about Workday's earnings. To me it was a great report but I'll be curious how the market reacts to the report

Yelp is my sore point. After it started to take off, I "almost" bought back in several times, but always figured if I waited I could get a better price. Of course, that is a sign of a poor investor. If it's a good company for a long term investment, a few % points in stock price don't matter a great deal. It is impossible to buy the absolute low and sell the absolute high with any regularity. A little market timing is good, but sometimes I rely too much.

I knew nothing about WDAY until you brought it up. It's been on a holy terror the last 6-8 mos, and has a great opening today (>10% up). Yet, an awful lot of advisors seem very down on it, with sell recommendations not even hold.

Bretsky
02-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Yelp is my sore point. After it started to take off, I "almost" bought back in several times, but always figured if I waited I could get a better price. Of course, that is a sign of a poor investor. If it's a good company for a long term investment, a few % points in stock price don't matter a great deal. It is impossible to buy the absolute low and sell the absolute high with any regularity. A little market timing is good, but sometimes I rely too much.

I knew nothing about WDAY until you brought it up. It's been on a holy terror the last 6-8 mos, and has a great opening today (>10% up). Yet, an awful lot of advisors seem very down on it, with sell recommendations not even hold.

DAMMIT.......I can honestly say if I had cjhing to spare I'd have taken a small position in WDAY about 20% ago but I went with YELP, which to me was a bit more safe. WDAY is up 14 points today. Better then expected growth and less than expected loss. But you have to really buy into the story long term since that is what you are investing in...as opposed to the valuations...which are insane.

Patler.....I'm on the Manhunt to find the next big things. On Mad Money about six months ago I watched highlights and many CEO interviews at the big Dreamforce Technology Conference in California. That is when I began my research on YELP, WDAY, ECOM, and even shortly after ZU.

All of these are hyper growth stories. I'm forever in search of the next Salesforce that appreciated 1,000%. I fully understand I could loss my ass with this money.........but I'm intrigued by finding the youthful hyper growth stories and in doing so I'm always curious about new IPO's coming out as well.

To me there are all good companies; if I diversify and just hit one or two big and the rest fail it will still be worth it. I might fail with them all...............and in the end........be left with just the Clothing Technology store...............UNDER ARMOUR :)

Bretsky
02-27-2014, 05:08 PM
http://money.msn.com/money-video/stock-ticker.aspx?from=gallery_en-us&videoid=99ef32c1-77f1-4772-9409-fa6c266b72df&sf=Relevancy#3

call_me_ishmael
02-28-2014, 10:07 AM
See, that sort of investment pisses me off. SalesForce doesn't actually make any significant money.

Patler
02-28-2014, 10:37 AM
See, that sort of investment pisses me off. SalesForce doesn't actually make any significant money.

You could say the same thing about most of the new bio/pharma companies out there. You invest in those based on potential, not current performance.

call_me_ishmael
03-03-2014, 04:58 PM
You could say the same thing about most of the new bio/pharma companies out there. You invest in those based on potential, not current performance.

Right. I don't buy stuff like this.

Bretsky
03-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Right. I don't buy stuff like this.

That is why the experiment comparing AAPL to WDAY, YELP, ECOM, and ZU would be so interesting. My guess is AAPL is stable and two of those companies make a ton of stock appreciation and two lose there asses over the next few years. Which ones...who knows ? By the Way, I'd like to throw in my favorite Bio company in ISIS as well.

call_me_ishmael
03-04-2014, 10:54 AM
I have a few bitcoin and other risky investments but not enough to make any sizeable dent. I wouldn't roll the dice with 75K. Gotta put that in a safe place.

Kiwon
03-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Hindsight is always 20/10

I was thinking 10 days ago to take a small, short-term position in JCP......when it was $5.25. Today it hit $8.67.

Oh well........ Gut Instinct - 1 / Head - 0

Kiwon
04-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Attention, Bargin Shoppers........

It looks like a sustained pullback is finally underway.......Which stocks are you looking to buy and at which levels?

Patler
04-11-2014, 05:21 PM
I sure picked the wrong time to be focusing my attention in biotech! Declines 2x or 3x the general market this week.
OUCH !

woodbuck27
04-21-2014, 06:18 AM
http://thestockmarketwatch.com/markets/topstocks/?google=1&gclid=CKfG-IO68b0CFSISMwodGV0A3g

StockMarketWatch

Joemailman
06-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Apple to do a 7-1 stock split on Monday. http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/06/investing/apple-stock-split/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

From 647.50 to 92.50

call_me_ishmael
08-25-2014, 12:10 PM
AAPL is looking pretty damn good these days.

This is a great video from @PeterGhostine explaining why he thinks it's headed to 120ish. Cha-ching!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FeX7QB6Vr8#t=1335

120 split adjusted is 840 on the old scale. Looking pretty damn good! Could go as high as 150ish.

My plan is to sell around 120 unless there is a lot of evidence the stock is moving up. My wife and I are looking into building a house and there is a plot of land in New Berlin, WI we are eyeing up.

Bretsky
11-08-2014, 10:31 AM
AAPL seems incredibly solid these days

Some of the stocks I had mentioned a while back have had their @sses kicked by AAPL the past six months

I am dam happy with my Under Armour as well !!!

call_me_ishmael
11-16-2014, 02:37 PM
My guy Pete has AAPL going to 142ish then to 110 before making it's final leg up to 190ish. I will likely hold to 140ish then sell and see what happens. Have way too much money tied up in it right now to be safe.

Freak Out
11-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Are you guys still trying to manage a stock portfolio while working a full time job? You're both crazy. A friend in the business showed me how much money I was losing doing it my way.....needless to say I don't mind paying fee's now.

mraynrand
11-17-2014, 04:57 PM
I sold all my stocks for magic beans. Now I have magic gas.

Bretsky
11-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Are you guys still trying to manage a stock portfolio while working a full time job? You're both crazy. A friend in the business showed me how much money I was losing doing it my way.....needless to say I don't mind paying fee's now.

hell yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!

SkinBasket
11-19-2014, 06:18 AM
I lost my password to my scottrade account, so now I can't do anything. Guess I'm locked in for the long haul, because I'm way too lazy to call and have it reset.

mraynrand
11-19-2014, 09:18 AM
I lost my password to my scottrade account, so now I can't do anything. Guess I'm locked in for the long haul, because I'm way too lazy to call and have it reset.

you know, they'll reset your password if you send 'em an email, loser. Then you don't have to talk to anyone on the phone:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/KGeJV7_0Wsg/maxresdefault.jpg

call_me_ishmael
11-24-2014, 02:38 PM

I only have AAPL and TSLA right now so I can manage it.

I have heard that index funds basically perform the same as mutual funds without the fees. Any thoughts on this?

Freak Out
11-24-2014, 05:08 PM
They are passively managed so you reduce a bunch of fees right off the bat...they also sell on a much reduced schedule so you save money there. My wife bought into some with Vanguard six years ago and has done really well.

Freak Out
11-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Dan....great call on Tesla. I fucking love those cars. Funny you mention them today...I ran into old friends from Kodiak last night in the airport and they purchased one a couple months ago. They absolutely love it. In fact Tesla in opening a dealership here soon from what they said.

call_me_ishmael
11-30-2014, 12:26 AM
I've never been in one. I hear they are amazing, though. That PayPal mafia has sure done well for themselves.

SkinBasket
12-09-2014, 06:49 AM
you know, they'll reset your password if you send 'em an email, loser. Then you don't have to talk to anyone on the phone:

I don't know my account number either. I'm sure its on a piece of paper somewhere, but then I'd have to look for it. This is how I passively manage my long term positions, I guess.

mraynrand
12-09-2014, 06:55 AM
I don't know my account number either. I'm sure its on a piece of paper somewhere, but then I'd have to look for it. This is how I passively manage my long term positions, I guess.

Set it, and forget it!

http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u127998/ron-popeil---showtime.jpg

SkinBasket
12-11-2014, 10:08 AM
I need like $150,000. Where can I get it?

mraynrand
12-11-2014, 11:28 AM
I need like $150,000. Where can I get it?

How skilled are you with walnut shells?

SkinBasket
12-12-2014, 12:19 PM
How skilled are you with walnut shells?

No, you see, I don't want to have to work for it. Someone must have a hot stock tip with how well the market is doing this week.

Deputy Nutz
12-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Wall St. Never sleeps

call_me_ishmael
12-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Perfect time to buy AAPL.

mraynrand
12-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Oil. Put all your money in oil

Freak Out
01-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Anyone use Betterment for investing? I am tempted to open an account with some cash I have available and then feeding it with a pension I activated.

woodbuck27
03-30-2016, 10:36 AM
Bump.

Bretsky
04-01-2016, 11:28 PM
What stocks are we a pimpin ????? I am still holding Under Amour

call_me_ishmael
04-01-2016, 11:54 PM
I have expanded my holdings to include AAPL, TSLA, GOOG, and AMZN.

woodbuck27
04-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Dan....great call on Tesla. I fucking love those cars. Funny you mention them today...I ran into old friends from Kodiak last night in the airport and they purchased one a couple months ago. They absolutely love it. In fact Tesla in opening a dealership here soon from what they said.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/01/why-teslas-model-3-is-blowing-away-expectations.html

UPDATE: Tesla CEO Musk says Model 3 orders now at 232K

By: Phil LeBeau | @Lebeaucarnews .......8 Hours Ago

CNBC.com

call_me_ishmael
10-10-2016, 11:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CudXtLsUMAAT3Tq.jpg

Freak Out
10-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Man....pretty happy started dumping $ in Nvidia a couple years ago.

Bretsky
10-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Nvidia a couple years ago ........GREAT JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a good investment now; but a couple years ago....awesome.

Are you buying the Brewers soon ?? lol

Freak Out
10-15-2017, 05:09 AM
Nvidia a couple years ago ........GREAT JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a good investment now; but a couple years ago....awesome.

Are you buying the Brewers soon ?? lol

No...lol.

mraynrand
10-29-2017, 02:47 PM
probably a good time to buy PetroChina Co.

Bretsky
08-08-2018, 06:35 PM
YO; WHAT SHIT ARE YA BUYING ?

KUDOS to FREAK for NVDA and Partial for FANG investing.

I'm pouring some funds into the CLOUD stocks lately.

Got a home run investing in Square at $13 a share.

Recently took at position in a high risk stock called Dropbox at $28

And I also have positions in Alibaba, Splunk, Under Armour, and SalesForce

Considering positions in NVDA, Adobe, and ServiceNow (definitely getting in the 3rd due to potential), and Spotify

THOUGHTS ???

call_me_ishmael
08-08-2018, 08:51 PM
High risk stock called Dropbox as if we all don't know what Dropbox is LOL :) I am skeptical on Dropbox personally because I see no place for it versus something like Google Drive, but lots of companies have been using it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Twilio seems like a good buy to me. Any sort of authentication and identity company will likely continue to grow.

The only stocks I personally manage are GOOG, AAPL, AMZN, TSLA, NFLX, MSFT, FB.

Bretsky
08-08-2018, 10:11 PM
Dropbox just IPO'd and while everbody knows what it is I think it's high risk. Earnings coming out Thursday as well.

I like Twillo as well.

Zool
08-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Dropbox’s Paid service is a bit more secure than Googles as far as COPA and FERPA. That will be their niche for a long time.

Bretsky
08-10-2018, 12:23 AM
funny; Dropbox beat all esimates today on earnings report but CEO is stepping down so stock is falling a bit

Hey Techees........ANY THOGHTS on SPOTIFY ??????

Zool
08-10-2018, 09:56 AM
funny; Dropbox beat all esimates today on earnings report but CEO is stepping down so stock is falling a bit

Spotify's only competitors are Apple music (which has the worst interface on earth) and Google Play. Those 2 are built into the devices so they will probably always be larger. Great service but has a ceiling.

call_me_ishmael
08-13-2018, 10:52 AM

I genuinely do not see anything on Drew Houston resigning. Why would he resign?

Patler
08-15-2018, 07:37 PM
I genuinely do not see anything on Drew Houston resigning. Why would he resign?

It is the COO who is leaving. He was brought in to oversee their IPO, so much of what he did is finished. They said they aren't filling the position again. No rational reason for the stock to drop on that news.

Bretsky
08-30-2018, 08:48 PM
I like ULTA and FIVE ………...what else are ya looking at ?

call_me_ishmael
08-31-2018, 09:28 PM
If I had some spare cashola, I'd buy Apple. It's still dirt cheap.

Bretsky
09-02-2018, 03:23 AM
If I had some spare cashola, I'd buy Apple. It's still dirt cheap.

you are into technology; give me some fresh ideas. Apple is always a great stock. I want some newbie insider thoughts :)

Zool
09-03-2018, 03:00 PM
Is BAI still trending up?

call_me_ishmael
09-04-2018, 01:36 AM
you are into technology; give me some fresh ideas. Apple is always a great stock. I want some newbie insider thoughts :)

IDK man, none of the next gen big tech companies are near an IPO. I'd buy Palantir in a second if I could. Zenefits, Stripe would be companies I'd buy too. But we can't. No motivation for the big cos to IPO today I guess.

call_me_ishmael
09-10-2018, 08:39 PM
If Elastic Search IPOs, I think they could be a good buy. There product is going to get more and more usage big time over the next 10 years.

http://tomtunguz.com/elastic-s-1-analysis/

mraynrand
09-12-2018, 11:39 AM
Take a risk: Starsky Robotics

mraynrand
11-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Drop in bucket. (I did notice that Apple is stopping announcing iPhone - and other products? - sales numbers...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/02/warren-buffett-loses-nearly-4-billion-in-single-day-on-his-apple-stake.html

Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway lost more than $3.5 billion on Friday as Apple's stock headed for its worst day on Wall Street in more than four years.

Apple — which posted its fifth consecutive week of losses for the first time since 2012 on Friday — finished the day down 6.6 percent, its worst one-day move since January 2014. The Oracle of Omaha owned more than 250 million shares of the Cupertino, California-based company as reported in Berkshire's latest holdings filing at the Securities and Exchange Commission.

At Friday's closing price for Apple of $207.48, Buffett is down $3.7 billion. The company closed at $222.22 on Thursday before the disappointing report.

Apple's stock sank after the company's iPhone shipments for last quarter fell short of analyst expectations. The company also issued a financial outlook for the rest of the year that underwhelmed some investors. Those factors foiled the company's stronger-than-expected earnings and revenue.

However, Buffett's losses are likely even more painful: he told CNBC at the end of August that he bought more Apple shares since the end of June, when he reported that he bumped his stake up by 5 percent.

"We bought just a little [more]," he said about two months ago on CNBC in an interview with Becky Quick.

Bretsky
11-03-2018, 06:36 PM
There seems to be a great opportunity for those who can spot the best stocks to benefit from WEED.

Who is our residential Pot Expert ?

call_me_ishmael
11-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Great time to buy AAPL, Goog and AMZN. Buy it, set it, forget it, watch money 4x in 10 years.

Bretsky
11-04-2018, 12:50 PM
I would completely agree with you Partial.

Now shut up with FANG and give me some Weed stocks that will 5x

Patler
11-05-2018, 09:35 AM
I would completely agree with you Partial.

Now shut up with FANG and give me some Weed stocks that will 5x

If I wanted to buy one, it would be CGC. The major investment in them by STZ should give them a head start in effective retail marketing.

Bretsky
11-06-2018, 08:23 PM
THANKS PATLER

I can let you know my two favorites are CGC and CRON

Are you invested in CGC ?

Patler
11-07-2018, 07:43 AM
THANKS PATLER

I can let you know my two favorites are CGC and CRON

Are you invested in CGC ?

No, I do not own any CGC, nor any other "sin" stock like casinos, tobacco, distilleries, breweries or wineries. Not because I oppose them, just that I am not interested in their businesses and I have no desire to learn about them. Instead, I invest in companies involved in activities I enjoy learning more about.

Bretsky
11-10-2018, 03:49 PM
No, I do not own any CGC, nor any other "sin" stock like casinos, tobacco, distilleries, breweries or wineries. Not because I oppose them, just that I am not interested in their businesses and I have no desire to learn about them. Instead, I invest in companies involved in activities I enjoy learning more about.

Have you taken any fliers on cloud stocks ? That has been my most recent passion

Patler
11-10-2018, 07:19 PM
Have you taken any fliers on cloud stocks ? That has been my most recent passion

Depending on your definition of "cloud stocks". I own INOV, ADBE and CRM. I also own some NVTA, which has a cloud based records subsidiary. I own a bunch of tech that I think will benefit from the growth of cloud related things. There are probably a half-dozen or so that I am considering.

mraynrand
10-26-2019, 08:39 AM
The bottom line for Generac: $100 million to $200 million of annual revenue, perhaps as soon as 2022, Jagdfeld said in an interview in New York on Friday, a day that saw his shares hit an all-time high. California, with its generally mild climate, wasn’t a big market for Generac until the blackouts began. While an expansion in the state will take time, Generac is gearing up a sales force and a marketing push to make it work.

Broadly, getting into stocks for companies making stuff government/government regulated entities can/will no longer provide is probably a good bet.

call_me_ishmael
10-27-2019, 12:39 AM
I am still just holding a handful of stocks in the aspect of my portfolio that I manage:

BTC, LTC, ETH for crypto

AAPL, GOOG, MSFT, AMZN, TSLA, NFLX.

Apple continues to be the most fundamentally sound company on earth. I bought in around 200 in 2009-2010 before the iPad came out. It has gone up 8.6x in that time!!

Goog is a company looking for it's next big hit.

MSFT is figuring out how to reach developers for the first time in my life.

AMZN is the company ready to be the world's biggest and they might be able to do it with their cloud business alone. I think AMZN is still very cheap compared to how big their opportunity is.

TSLA makes a product that everyone loves and lusts after. They have their manufacturing challenges but at the end of the day that will resolve itself in time since it's a far easier problem than making something that people lust after.

NFLX is a stock I don't really know why I hold. I don't really watch much TV and very rarely turn on Netflix beyond streaming reruns of the Office for background noise. It has gone up too much in price to the point where I don't personally see the value in it. Great SaaS business so far but I do wonder when others will start to feel the same as I do. There's only so many hours in the day and I have maybe an hour or two free at the most, it's a tough thing to fill that valuable time with brain rotting TV.

Anyone have any interesting stocks they think there is money to be made on? I'd like to take 20K and walk out with 40K in the next year or two if possible. Gotta buy a new car.

MadtownPacker
10-28-2019, 12:46 PM
There seems to be a great opportunity for those who can spot the best stocks to benefit from WEED.

Who is our residential Pot Expert ?
I thought you knew!

Did you end up buying when you made this post? If so you went on a helluva roll coaster ride man. Big ones like Tilray and Canopy went off only to come tumbling down the past few months. I bought in a little too soon but not doing bad.

australianpackerbacker
10-31-2019, 04:30 AM
Bitcoin has been the best performing asset over the last 10 years, and due to a lot of factors, one fo them being economic uncertainty, will be the bext performing asset over the next 10 years. If you bought 100$ of bitcoin 10 years ago, you would have 16 million dollars. Fuck the stock market its a game played by the rich to keep everyone else poor, like the federal reserve.

call_me_ishmael
10-31-2019, 01:13 PM
Bitcoin has been the best performing asset over the last 10 years, and due to a lot of factors, one fo them being economic uncertainty, will be the bext performing asset over the next 10 years. If you bought 100$ of bitcoin 10 years ago, you would have 16 million dollars. Fuck the stock market its a game played by the rich to keep everyone else poor, like the federal reserve.

This is a bad take. Bitcoin has done jack shit over the past few years unless you've timed it perfectly.

My opinion is in twenty years my BTC will probably be worth 0 dollars but maybe could be worth a million or more.

australianpackerbacker
11-01-2019, 12:33 AM
This is a bad take. Bitcoin has done jack shit over the past few years unless you've timed it perfectly.

My opinion is in twenty years my BTC will probably be worth 0 dollars but maybe could be worth a million or more.

Sorry but this is incorrect except for your last sentence. Bitcoin goes through hype cycles, and each hype cycle is greater than the last. Look up Bitcoin stock to flow. The stock to flow ratio of bitcoin will be equal to that of gold, calling for a market cap of 7-8 trillion dollars, which would potentially put bitcoin at 350k-400k. Thats not gonna happen until around 2028. Also you need to understand bitcoin halving. Every 4 years BTC goes through a reduction in the available bitcoins mined, basically forcing the price up. This is the most GENUIUS financial instrument EVER created, based on Austrian economics. Its scarcity is exactly why it is valuable, but people just dont understand what it truly is yet. So the hype cycles will continue for another 10 years until people realize what it is, and why it exists.

And this is something everyone can agree with. If the dollar was working fine for 100% of people, we wouldnt have people that are broke. Nor would even the IDEA of Bitcoin exist. Get it? The idea of being broke, is the system reflecting its brokenness on the people in which its meant to serve. There are over 2 billion unbanked humans, and bitcoin has the ability to change that, by being a bank account in your phone, and these days smart phones are a dime a dozen. This means 2 billion people who cant get accredited by a bank, now have a bank account in their phones. This is REVELATORY.

Bitcoin has the power to erase government. And it has the power to replace the USD as world reserve currency. Once this happens the world will change tremendously. If the US Federal Reserve cannot print money, they cannot go to war and put "sanctions" on other countries.

Bitcoin hasnt done jack shit? Right. Its price at the beginning of the year, 3200. Current price 9100. 200% increase in value. Pick ANY stock, precious metal, whatever....what has PERFORMED better than bitcoin in 2019? NOTHING.

Bitcoin has been the best performing asset over the last 10 years. Especially if you understand how to DCA(dollar cost average). You'd be in the green like a motherfucker.

Bitcoin is BLOCKCHAIN. Bitcoin is a revolution.

As for your last sentence. You could say the exact same thing about any and every stock. Nobody knows what technological shifts can occur in that span of time that makes certain parties or entities obsolete. Apple? Who the fuck really knows if they will last for more than 5 years from this date, there are so many variables at play in all of this, thats why they call it speculation. But knowledge allows you to take a calculated RISK.

So in saying that, if a stock(or in this case bitcoin, has a proven track record of 10 years, of consistently providing ridiculous gains, you need to reevaluate your story about bitcoin and what information you are believing that is limiting you from exploring this seriously. Volatility is a common aspect in a brand new, nascent asset class, because the liquidity(money, belief, investments) isnt quite there yet. And in saying that, THIS IS WHY IT IS THE BEST OPPURTUNITY to make serious gains. Its like investing in the concept of the internet in the early 90s, yet the difference here is bitcoin is competing to be GLOBAL MONEY. Think of that potential, think of the power that a fixed, limited supply currency that you can send over the internet for basically pennies, think about the power that has to undermine the current power structure. When you realize its power, you will find it impossible to ignore.

Fuck stocks and investing in something that has zero meaning to my life just because im greedy and wanna live a different expression of life. Buy bitcoin, youre buying into a financial revolution.

Stay woke.

call_me_ishmael
11-02-2019, 03:59 PM
I have owned Bitcoin since 2013. I bought 5K back then. Still have it. Haven't spent a dime of it. I know all about it.

I know especially how much VC money has been pumped into infrastructure around it, and still its usage is minuscule since everyone holds it on speculation.

Saying it went from 4000 to 9000 this year is factually true, but it ignores that from 2017 to 2019 it crashed from over 19K after being artificially pumped by Russia allegedly.

BTC is too slow and will require some significant forking and revamping to ever be a serious player. Can't buy those groceries without a many-minute-long-payment process to check the ledger is my understanding. I wouldn't know, I've been holding the whole time.

Maybe it's the future, but is there any reason for optimism thus far? In my opinion, not really. Seems to me like most of the VC money in crypto has dried up. The biggest reason to continue holding is the scarcity aspect and since I don't have a good answer for why it won't be a big thing.

Apple? Who the fuck really knows if they will last for more than 5 years from this date

With the money Apple has in the bank, they could continue to operate without earning a penny of revenue for the next 20 years or more.

australianpackerbacker
11-04-2019, 03:48 AM
I have owned Bitcoin since 2013. I bought 5K back then. Still have it. Haven't spent a dime of it. I know all about it.

I know especially how much VC money has been pumped into infrastructure around it, and still its usage is minuscule since everyone holds it on speculation.

Saying it went from 4000 to 9000 this year is factually true, but it ignores that from 2017 to 2019 it crashed from over 19K after being artificially pumped by Russia allegedly.

BTC is too slow and will require some significant forking and revamping to ever be a serious player. Can't buy those groceries without a many-minute-long-payment process to check the ledger is my understanding. I wouldn't know, I've been holding the whole time.

Maybe it's the future, but is there any reason for optimism thus far? In my opinion, not really. Seems to me like most of the VC money in crypto has dried up. The biggest reason to continue holding is the scarcity aspect and since I don't have a good answer for why it won't be a big thing.

With the money Apple has in the bank, they could continue to operate without earning a penny of revenue for the next 20 years or more.

Bitcoin in 2019 is akin to the Internet in 1995. People also said things like, you're never gonna be able to stream a video on the internet, much less listen to music. Email? Who needs that? We have fax baby! Who remembers AOL? Same thing with scalability of bitcoin, and also use case and adoption, but youre not gonna see that with the lens you are currently looking through, the same way internet naysayers couldnt visualize a future where the internet was in any way shape or form useful. If you really knew as much as you say you do about it, you would also understand, that it is a nascent asset class, and it goes through major hype cycles, like you mentioned when price went up to 19.3k and dropped to 3.2k. This is entirely normal in an asset class that is in the hundreds of billions that doesnt have a clear-cut use case, other than being digital gold 2.0, an excellent store of value, just like gold, but better, because more gold can always be mined, but bitcoin is and always will be capped at 21million. Im not pro crypto as much as pro bitcoin, i think 99% of altcoins are scams. Think about the stock market, it fluctuates 1-5%, and its market cap is in the TRILLIONS. So there is literally hundreds of billions of dollars being traded daily, basically more than the value of the ENTIRE cryptocurrency market cap. So put that into perspective with regrads to volatility. Same thing happend with Amazon and a lot of early tech stocks in the late 90s/2000s, they crashed hard because "no use case". When was a great time to buy Amazon? Exactly that time, just like it was a great time to buy BTC at 3k.

Yes, its usage is minimal right now, just like people using computers in the late 90s and smart phones in the mid 2000s was minimal. But consider this. The amount of people in the millions, that know and use bitcoin(and many like me dont spend their bitcoin, right now for me its a store of value with future potential as a medium of exchange) is roughly 25-30 million. The global population is 7.8 billion. And LOOK at the price, from simply 25-30 million people interacting and engaging in the protocol!!! As of today still 9200. Lets call it 10k for arguements sake. Now imagine 300 million people all over the world actively adopt bitcoin as a store of value or medium of exchange. The potential is on a level that is soo fucking ridiculous im shocked more people dont genuinely look into it. But its hard for most people to use an alternative currency when fiat currency, i.e. paper money, still works for 2 billion people. So in many ways the system has to fail people, just like it did in 2008 before the Federal Reserve started printing money to bail out the greedy fuckers that got us into this mess in the first place, debasing the very currency that everybody "trusts".

None of us were taught about money in school. Coincidence? Hell no, its by design. Just like you werent taught how to eat the right foods or heal yourself. Most people dont truly understand how fiat money works, if they did, they would riot. The average lifespan of a fiat currency is 27 years, so the USD is an anomaly, in many ways, and the bankers(the fraudsters) just started printing money again, calling it quantitative easing and negative interest rates, to prop up and continuously beat the dead horse. This is called Keynesian economics. It doesnt work. Fiat money, is essentially what is called "soft money". So i have 1000USD and that can buy me a new car in 1940, but since the bankers continuously print more and more money, naturally that 1000USD has much less buying power than it did even 10 years ago, essentially robbing you of your spending power, while your wages are exactly the same! This is why we all live in a global kleptocracy, the value of what we EARN, through hard work, is undermined by the greedy fuckers in power.

Bitcoin reintroduces the concept of Austrian economics, where a fixed supply currency can never be devalued or lose buying power. Consider this concept, that is unfortunately a sad reality. Would bitcoin exist at all if everybody totally and implicitly trusted the current economic paradigm to serve them and all their needs wholeheartedly? Why would it even exist if the current system was honest and worked for everybody?

Also, like i said earlier, bitcoin is an evolving tech, in 2017 maybe at worst case you had to wait 1hr at the HEIGHT of its hype cycle for a transaction to be completed because the network was congested. But since then we have had other protocols built on top of bitcoin that have evolved. Look up lightning network. Instant transactions(less than 10 secs) with almost minimal fees. This is an evolving tech so your stories that you had about it in 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021.....constantly need to be checked and evolved as computer science and cryptography does. Its not fair to compare bitcoin in 2010 to bitcoin in 2019 or 2029, but the overall trajectory is constantly evolving and going in the direction of largescale adoption.

https://www.lookintobitcoin.com/charts/bitcoin-profitable-days/

In the entirety of bitcoins existence, it has been profitable to hold bitcoin during nearly 94% of its ENTIRE EXISTENCE. Show me a stock, commodity, real estate, asset that has produced this result.

https://medium.com/@100trillionUSD/modeling-bitcoins-value-with-scarcity-91fa0fc03e25

This is what i was talking about earlier with regards to price appreciation, long term. Bitcoins stock to flow will be equal to that of gold, by 2024. Potentially valuing bitcoin up to 350-400k.

https://medium.com/coinmonks/bitcoins-natural-long-term-power-law-corridor-of-growth-649d0e9b3c94

Bitcoins long term power law.

All in all, ive put in 1000s of hours of research into understanding what the fuck this exactly is. And bottom line is, bitcoin in 5-7 years will become the defacto world reserve currency. And when this happens. There will be no more USD, EURO, FRANC, YEN, POUND. Why? Because bitcoin has the best, cryptographically secure, mathematically proven, sound monetary policy that is easily defined and predictable over the next 120 years, that cannot be altered or disrupted by any single entity or government. This is its true power. You no longer need to trust anyone or anything with financial honesty.

call_me_ishmael
11-04-2019, 10:16 AM
But Bitcoin price was already inflated 4x by Russia.

And there is an inordinate amount of Bitcoin owned by the Chinese government.

Like I said, I am long Bitcoin, so I am not a total hater, but I have healthy skepticism about it. Everyone should. Right now it's just a value store as you mentioned. I am extremely skeptical that in 5-7 years the situation will be dramatically different than it is today.

3irty1
11-04-2019, 01:37 PM
BTC is mostly used as a store of value, but it is a functional currency. I've traded for it, paid bills with it, bought a property with it, and sold it for cash. Its cumbersome but it works and the infrastructure has improved a lot since I received my first coins. In truth validation is much faster on the chain than with real world banks. It takes a week for a check to clear after all. It's as-if instant because there is infrastructure to repair a doublespend after that fact. Infrastructure for crypto is primitive today but like I said, it's night and day compared to 5 years ago.

I view it as a more practical version of dealing in something like gold. Similar in that it is counter cyclical and immune to inflation; better in that I don't need a literal vault to secure it or an armored car to transport it. Yes the splashes of whales can manipulate the value but this is also true of gold. Bitcoin smart contracts need more development, it's a small nightmare for example to figure out how to make BTC resistant to embezzlement in a joint situation or inheritable such that the benefactor can't just clean you out at their pleasure.

australianpackerbacker
11-04-2019, 11:17 PM

And there is an inordinate amount of Bitcoin owned by the Chinese government.

Like I said, I am long Bitcoin, so I am not a total hater, but I have healthy skepticism about it. Everyone should. Right now it's just a value store as you mentioned. I am extremely skeptical that in 5-7 years the situation will be dramatically different than it is today.

With regards to Russia, i have no idea. Nor does it matter. There are cypherpunks and geeks that own 10s of 1000s of BTC, that if my prediction came true, would be richer than most COUNTRIES. Thats a bit of a mindfuck. If this does take over i do see a potential for global instability and civil war, short term.

The thing about the USD being the defacto reserve currency of the world is, they can push other countries around because of their power through monetary policy. When the playing field is equal, and this is the big shift i see happening, when the playing field is equal, when all countries currencies are comletley digitized and you and I can send a message on packer rats, and if i like your comment i can send you 5USD or whatever, when that happens, the clear winner in all of this will be the digital currency that has the most honest, transparent monetary policy, that cannot be altered or debased. If that 5 dollars i send you today is worth 3 tommorow, youre not gonna accept something thats not worth as much as the currency that over time constantly grows in value. And this day will come when paper money is no longer physical, but just numbers on a screen, were halfway there in many ways.

Well done for being long and also for buying in early, I only found out about it late 2017, and have been possessed by its potential to create a giant seismic shift in our understanding of money and how i feel that should work, for everybody.

australianpackerbacker
11-04-2019, 11:27 PM

Also, if were gonna talk about manipulation. Lets first turn our attention to our own backyards. The CME futures gaps constantly fucks with bitcoins price, same thing Bakkt is trying to do. Futures trading is also a great way to manipulate price. They also announced that starbucks will be accepting crypto which is a ploy to steal your bitcoin, so that they have an even better chance of suppressing the price. The constant feet dragging by the SEC to approve a bitcoin ETF. I could go on, theres so much seedy shit goin down its not even funny, this is why transparent fixed supply currency is important, because it has the potential to eliminate bad actors....in government ESPECIALLY.

australianpackerbacker
11-04-2019, 11:29 PM
BTC is mostly used as a store of value, but it is a functional currency. I've traded for it, paid bills with it, bought a property with it, and sold it for cash. Its cumbersome but it works and the infrastructure has improved a lot since I received my first coins. In truth validation is much faster on the chain than with real world banks. It takes a week for a check to clear after all. It's as-if instant because there is infrastructure to repair a doublespend after that fact. Infrastructure for crypto is primitive today but like I said, it's night and day compared to 5 years ago.

I view it as a more practical version of dealing in something like gold. Similar in that it is counter cyclical and immune to inflation; better in that I don't need a literal vault to secure it or an armored car to transport it. Yes the splashes of whales can manipulate the value but this is also true of gold. Bitcoin smart contracts need more development, it's a small nightmare for example to figure out how to make BTC resistant to embezzlement in a joint situation or inheritable such that the benefactor can't just clean you out at their pleasure.

This guy gets it.

call_me_ishmael
11-06-2019, 10:03 PM
Maybe it will, maybe it won't, I have no idea so I stay long because I don't want to miss out if/when it does take off.

I am merely saying it is hardly the sure thing crypto enthusiasts make it out to be. My stance is cautious optimism with a hearty side of we'll side.

To the guy merely reading tech crunch headlines, it seems that a lot of the excitement around blockchain has waned in the past two years or so.

I don't have enough info to know if I think it'll blow up or sink. The story makes sense to me that it'll blow up but in practice it doesn't really jive with reality or perhaps I'm not patient enough.

3irty1
11-07-2019, 09:09 AM
Maybe it will, maybe it won't, I have no idea so I stay long because I don't want to miss out if/when it does take off.

I am merely saying it is hardly the sure thing crypto enthusiasts make it out to be. My stance is cautious optimism with a hearty side of we'll side.

To the guy merely reading tech crunch headlines, it seems that a lot of the excitement around blockchain has waned in the past two years or so.

I don't have enough info to know if I think it'll blow up or sink. The story makes sense to me that it'll blow up but in practice it doesn't really jive with reality or perhaps I'm not patient enough.

Like so many promising technologies I get the sense that thousands of people are writing about it while only dozens of people are actually working on it.

call_me_ishmael
11-07-2019, 09:28 AM
Like so many promising technologies I get the sense that thousands of people are writing about it while only dozens of people are actually working on it.

There was a huge influx of VC money and it seems like most of those companies never got past a seeding round or series A or are still very quietly working on it.

It sort of makes sense that if very few people are actually spending the stuff 'cause everyone is hodl-ing (or using it as a jump-between-other-cryptos currency) that the companies building infrastructure aren't generating a lot of cash.

How'd you buy a property with it?

3irty1
11-07-2019, 11:07 AM
There was a huge influx of VC money and it seems like most of those companies never got past a seeding round or series A or are still very quietly working on it.

It sort of makes sense that if very few people are actually spending the stuff 'cause everyone is hodl-ing (or using it as a jump-between-other-cryptos currency) that the companies building infrastructure aren't generating a lot of cash.

How'd you buy a property with it?

Nothing special in my case. I had an uncomfortable portion of my money in crypto and found a person who was willing accept it just through normal craigslist. We used a crypto escrow service and I paid title people in regular cash.

I know someone who did something similar on Open Bazzar.

These days I'm told there are fancy smart-contract based real estate transaction solutions that cut out almost all the intermediaries and put all the paperwork on the blockchain. With that kind of tech there I bet there is a real future for real estate brokers who are crypto-literate.

call_me_ishmael
03-08-2020, 12:22 AM
As mentioned numerous times, I don't really buy stocks outside of big tech since I believe it's still Day One for Amazon, Google, Apple, etc. With globalization, those stocks have SOOO much room to grow.

I am thinking about getting long Peloton. It's a great product that people lust after with great margins. If you like 10xing your money, join me in Peloton, set it and forget it and wake up 10x richer in 10 years.

Bretsky
03-08-2020, 01:31 AM
As mentioned numerous times, I don't really buy stocks outside of big tech since I believe it's still Day One for Amazon, Google, Apple, etc. With globalization, those stocks have SOOO much room to grow.

I am thinking about getting long Peloton. It's a great product that people lust after with great margins. If you like 10xing your money, join me in Peloton, set it and forget it and wake up 10x richer in 10 years.

TELL me more about PELOTON. I have recently bought some ZOOM and DOCU and think they have some high upside in next ten years as well. I'm also pretty invested in Cloud Stocks and got into Square pretty early and still have that

Freak Out
03-08-2020, 06:28 PM
I like my dividends.

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2020, 11:06 AM
TELL me more about PELOTON. I have recently bought some ZOOM and DOCU and think they have some high upside in next ten years as well. I'm also pretty invested in Cloud Stocks and got into Square pretty early and still have that

ZOOM is awesome and makes a great product. I should look at their stock too. They completely usurped the video chat market which is bound to grow 10x over the next 10 years. I use Zoom at least 20 times per work day and it's consistently excellent.

Peloton makes high end fitness equipment but their core product is a SaaS offering where you join fitness classes with other people via streaming from home. People love it.

Bretsky
03-09-2020, 08:14 PM
ZOOM is awesome and makes a great product. I should look at their stock too. They completely usurped the video chat market which is bound to grow 10x over the next 10 years. I use Zoom at least 20 times per work day and it's consistently excellent.

Peloton makes high end fitness equipment but their core product is a SaaS offering where you join fitness classes with other people via streaming from home. People love it.

For what it's worth I bought Zoom in the 90's; I'm honestly looking at when to add to my positions. I think it's also a stock that can be a ten bagger. It' just IPO'd in the last year

I'm going to research Peloton; I need to get an understanding of the company before I throw some money there

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2020, 09:24 PM
Zoom is a new/ish company though. We must be thinking of different Zooms.

Bretsky
03-09-2020, 09:47 PM
Zoom is a new/ish company though. We must be thinking of different Zooms.

Nope; same company. ZM is the ticker. Stock price around 115
They IPO'd last year. Video Conferencing leader

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2020, 09:56 PM
Nope; same company. ZM is the ticker. Stock price around 115
They IPO'd last year. Video Conferencing leader

How’d you buy ‘em in the 90s then? I’m confused!

Bretsky
03-09-2020, 10:17 PM
How’d you buy ‘em in the 90s then? I’m confused!

LOL

My buy in was Ninety Dollars per share you egghead...haha

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2020, 11:16 PM
lol, too funny, I legit thought you meant the 1990s!

Freak Out
03-10-2020, 03:42 PM
Funny...I just used the Zoom app on my phone to conference with some folks. There were issues...I believe on their end that was causing audio to cut out.

call_me_ishmael
03-10-2020, 04:15 PM
Funny...I just used the Zoom app on my phone to conference with some folks. There were issues...I believe on their end that was causing audio to cut out.

The general consensus is Zoom is the best option available. I have to imagine they are getting slammed with additional traffic due to Covid and WFH.

It has been a little spotty for me today too, normally it is rock solid though.

Bretsky
03-13-2020, 07:56 PM
The general consensus is Zoom is the best option available. I have to imagine they are getting slammed with additional traffic due to Covid and WFH.

It has been a little spotty for me today too, normally it is rock solid though.

If ZM tanks I'm getting more. I love a TON of stocks here; wish I had some real cash

Bretsky
03-23-2020, 10:20 PM
If ZM tanks I'm getting more. I love a TON of stocks here; wish I had some real cash

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/03/21/top-10-coronavirus-stocks-to-buy-right-now.aspx

GOOD ARTICLE THAT DISCUSSES SOME OF THE STOCKS WE'RE PIMPIN INCLUDING PTON

Fosco33
03-24-2020, 03:58 PM
I jumped out on fed 20th and back in on a few stocks/ETFs about a week ago.

TTD (up 20%) and SDGR (up 40%). Also have a handful of others at super value (Inspire, BerkB).

Buy on the fear - WB

Tony Oday
03-27-2020, 04:50 AM
Wow this stock market is awesome! I took a chunk out of our new rental savings and invested in Boeing at $101.00, missed the bottom, but man that has been the easiest money I have ever made.

Fosco33
03-27-2020, 07:45 AM
Yeup. I’ve ‘made’ some of what I ‘lost’ back. It’s not real til I spend it on something. And that’ll be 30 years from now. Lol

mraynrand
03-27-2020, 07:53 AM
Wow this stock market is awesome! I took a chunk out of our new rental savings and invested in Boeing at $101.00, missed the bottom, but man that has been the easiest money I have ever made.

I sold a kidney to a Mexican oligarch for 50K and invested it all when the Dow went below 20K.

Tony Oday
03-27-2020, 09:07 AM
I sold a kidney to a Mexican oligarch for 50K and invested it all when the Dow went below 20K.

We sent more to our Financial Advisor as our investments tanked as and I ramped up my personal investing.

Bretsky
03-31-2020, 06:14 PM

CURIOUS; have you been a buyer yet ? The more I research the stock, the more I'm liking the product

call_me_ishmael
04-01-2020, 02:07 AM
I haven't bought and won't be buying anytime soon until there's some clarity on how things and going to shake out and the employment picture gets a little more rosie. I actually got a fat raise at work one week before this hit, but now I'm afraid my entire business unit is gonna get chopped in the next couple months. The company I work for is booming during covid because they're a health company but the company that owns them is seeing slowing business I guess. We shall see how it shakes out.

My wife and I were talking with some builders about building a home but now I'm thinking that is gonna be on hold as well. The mortgage rates we could get are great; We're presently at 3.25% but I think you can ~2.75-3 these days. Would be awesome but again, would be very painful if one of us is out of a job for a year or something.

mraynrand
04-01-2020, 01:31 PM
https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/01/zoom-doom/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

call_me_ishmael
08-19-2020, 11:39 PM
Always bet on AMZN. By my uninformed estimation, they're as likely to double in the next few years as anybody.

My favorite Bezos quote: “If you think [Fire Phone] is a big failure, we’re working on much bigger failures right now — and I am not kidding. Some of them are going to make the Fire Phone look like a tiny little blip.”

Bretsky
08-21-2020, 10:38 PM
GOT KINDA LUCKY LATELY

I bought some ZOOM and DOCUSIGN in the 90's and ServiceNow and Splunk both around 100. So have hit it will with the cloud stocks.

The above is my fun dice roll portfolio.

I have honestly transferred a Roth IRA to Ameritrade and now within a year it will all be in stocks. Has roughly about 50G and that is my fun project as well. If I lose it I'll be fine, but I'm going High Risk, High Reward stocks.

In that Roth IRA, I currently have AMD (timed that very nicely), CRWD (Crowdstrike) FSLY (Fastly), DDOG (Datadog), NOK (Nokia), VRM (Vroom), LVGO (Livongo Health), ZNGA (Zinga), BABA (Alibaba), and have recently bought into Rocket Mortgage (recent IPO)

I have about fifty percent of my funds in cash.

I think I'll be buying JD.COM next (China Stock)and am researching many many others.

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR SOME STOCK TIPS FROM ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

call_me_ishmael
08-21-2020, 11:50 PM
Love that you're so in on software. It's funny, I'm sure those are great stocks but I don't view a lot of them as great companies. They're probably gonna get gobbled up but that is probably a good thing for the stock. I do love me some Datadog, but holy fuck is it ever getting expensive. They're getting too big for their britches and it's almost hard to justify paying the prices. Use it every day though.

I am still just long on the same 5-6 companies I have been for awhile. Have about ~350K in them now.

AAPL
TSLA
AMZN
MSFT
NVDA
FB - although not much anymore as I don't like buying stocks for companies I don't believe in their mission.

My hope is the big players double again in the next 2-3 years. That + about 600K in 401Ks has us at 35 sitting pretty.

I would not mind diversifying a bit and going high growth with half of it. I am not super confident in TSLA and feel that the stock is overpriced. I think it's inevitable that AMZN eats the rest of the world. I predict they'll be the first 3T market cap company. Amazon literally "owns" every house in the suburbs and it's still shockingly early for AWS despite being a what, fortune 50 company on it's own?

Bretsky
08-22-2020, 10:15 PM
Love that you're so in on software. It's funny, I'm sure those are great stocks but I don't view a lot of them as great companies. They're probably gonna get gobbled up but that is probably a good thing for the stock. I do love me some Datadog, but holy fuck is it ever getting expensive. They're getting too big for their britches and it's almost hard to justify paying the prices. Use it every day though.

I am still just long on the same 5-6 companies I have been for awhile. Have about ~350K in them now.

AAPL
TSLA
AMZN
MSFT
NVDA
FB - although not much anymore as I don't like buying stocks for companies I don't believe in their mission.

My hope is the big players double again in the next 2-3 years. That + about 600K in 401Ks has us at 35 sitting pretty.

I would not mind diversifying a bit and going high growth with half of it. I am not super confident in TSLA and feel that the stock is overpriced. I think it's inevitable that AMZN eats the rest of the world. I predict they'll be the first 3T market cap company. Amazon literally "owns" every house in the suburbs and it's still shockingly early for AWS despite being a what, fortune 50 company on it's own?

Which of those stocks would you buy at today's levels ?

I kinda think MSFT is the best one to add to right now at current prices.

NVDA is a s great stock, but a bit too expensive. But I'd buy that one on a pullback.

YOU ARE MISSING A NO BRAINER that would be the perfect addition to what you have

SHOPify

call_me_ishmael
08-22-2020, 10:16 PM
Shopify is a great company and a new brained, I agree. I should buy some. Been following them for many, many years now and I am shocked but also not shocked at what they became.

Bretsky
08-25-2020, 09:22 PM
I have taken an interest in IPO's. A few years ago I bought SQ Square
More recently I have bought some Vroom and Rocket Mortgage

Upnorth
08-26-2020, 12:46 PM
I have taken an interest in IPO's. A few years ago I bought SQ Square
More recently I have bought some Vroom and Rocket Mortgage

I don't think rocket is a solid long term buy. 2-3 years max

Also at some point we will see a broad based tech pull back but it wont be like the 90's for depth and severity.

Freak Out
08-26-2020, 04:44 PM
I bought AMD recently.

Bretsky
08-28-2020, 11:23 PM
Good buy; I bought AMD at about 53 here

I'm looking to add more to some tech stocks I own that include Fastly, DataDog, and Crowdstrike. I also wanna buy some Apple and IF the market corrected I'm so into Shopify !!

So I want a flipping market correction !!!

Patler
08-29-2020, 12:27 PM
I bought a bunch of NVDA over the last three years, luckily hitting near several of its lows. Have sold just over half of my shares for just under 2x my total investment in all NVDA shares, and I still own a bunch of shares. I'm sitting at a 3.5x on my total NVDA investment right now. Will probably sell out in September.

Also more than doubled on AAPL. Unfortunately, that was a while back, and I sold out my last at around $300. I bought AAPL with the intent of just holding, and had for a number of years. Owned some I bought under $100. But, needs arose, so I sold several different times. It was my largest investment in a single stock ever. Had I kept it............. Oh well!!

Have also done well with MSFT (still own some) and ADBE (sold out).

Mostly now I spend my time with small biotechs. Have done extremely well with some (ACAD, NVTA, KPTI, ITCI, PTGX, SNDX, SBBP and more) lost (and losing). my shirt on others (such as ADMP, ADMS, ACRX, SYN (sold out for pennies) and EYPT). Lost more than 50% on ARWR, if I had kept another 6 months I would have caught a run up to 4x what I paid. Woulda, shoulda, coulda! :) Got a covid gift on one (INO) I was underwater on for several years. Early on it was a "front runner" for a vaccine and rocketed from under $10 to around $30. I was in it in the teens and sold often as it went up. Managed to get out with a decent but not great profit. Fun way to spend my time.

call_me_ishmael
08-29-2020, 01:55 PM
Lotta people in here have ripped on my investing in here but I have 10x’d since 2011.

I have way too much TSLA which I believe is very overpriced right now so I am going to sell half of it, maybe more. Road that bad Larry from 150-360, sold half, now took it back to 2100.

Patler
08-29-2020, 03:03 PM
TSLA is a cult stock with unbelievable momentum. I do not regret in the least that I never jumped on that train, because it would have violated every rule of discipline that I have tried to follow. I am too old to take anything but very small gambles on what I see as pure momentum plays, because they can reverse at anytime. If I was a young man, I probably would have bought in, but I'm not and have to follow the disciplines I have set for myself. I still take long shot chances with smaller investments, but ones where I can see the "if this, this and this....then that" scenario for the company, not just momentum. Other than pure momentum from its cult following, I've never found a reason to invest in Tesla. Not yet, anyway; but I do consider it from time to time.

Patler
08-29-2020, 03:07 PM
BTW - I predict the TSLA share price goes down 80% next week! :-):-):-)

Bretsky
08-29-2020, 03:35 PM
I enjoy the market. I am pretty vested in my 401K and should be fine if I live long enough.

So my project has been trying to grow a new all stock Roth IRA in hopes of at least doubling it over the next 6 years and then giving it all to my kids to payoff any college debts they have.

Started a couple months ago on this project. Hit really good with AMD. Overall the value is up about 12% but over half of the funds are still in cash waiting for a correction.

call_me_ishmael
08-30-2020, 01:01 AM
Bretsky are you paying for your kids college? Or are they doing it themselves? I gotta start planning for this. My oldest is 5 but the years seem to fly by way too fast. Better to start getting ready now.

Bretsky
08-31-2020, 12:28 AM
Bretsky are you paying for your kids college? Or are they doing it themselves? I gotta start planning for this. My oldest is 5 but the years seem to fly by way too fast. Better to start getting ready now.

I have opened up a 529 for each kid; most gifted money goes into their college savings fund. And we've put some money in there over the years. My oldest daughter is going to the UW Madisoin.

At this point she's using the 529 and I think she'll end up with around 35,000 of student loans after she graduates

Bretsky
09-02-2020, 06:13 PM
TORN; is it time to sell my ZOOM or keep it ?

call_me_ishmael
09-03-2020, 11:47 AM
I just got my clock cleaned today lol.

If I were you Bretsky, I would personally hold it. Zoom isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They own a growing market. They could double their prices and what, are people not going to pay? What's the alternative? Commerce stops?

Remote is going to be increasingly prevalent in the coming years and the cost of zoom is peanuts compared to a good employee so expect zoom to be on every employees computer for the next ten years.

call_me_ishmael
09-04-2020, 10:40 AM
Wish I would have dumped half of my TSLA a few days ago, but I did do it today and picked up some other "discounted" stocks so it was likely a was. Bought 1/3 of AAPL, 1/3 of ZM, and 1/3 of SHOP.

oldbutnotdeadyet
09-05-2020, 09:23 AM
Wish I would have dumped half of my TSLA a few days ago, but I did do it today and picked up some other "discounted" stocks so it was likely a was. Bought 1/3 of AAPL, 1/3 of ZM, and 1/3 of SHOP.

You won't be sorry, TSLA got rejected for S&P. As far as Zoom, not sure I understand the love cause the barrier for entry in this market is tiny for just about any other well funded large company.

Patler
09-05-2020, 09:56 AM
TORN; is it time to sell my ZOOM or keep it ?

It doesn't have to be, and really shouldn't be an all or nothing proposition. You have had this since Feb/March when you bought in the $90s. On Tuesday you had a 5x increase, and even after the drop the last few days you are sitting on a 4x increase. I assume that makes ZM a very large portion of your portfolio. Determine what % of your portfolio you are comfortable having invested in a single stock generally, and ZM specifically, then sell some to hit your range. Use the proceeds for another stock you like. I did this with NVDA. I have already "cashed out" almost a 2x profit on the entire investment, but still own half the total number of shares I bought. I was planning to sell out when it hit $600. Just missed earlier this week, so I will let the rest ride for the time being.

I have much improved my discipline in taking partial profits with fast rising stocks, and it has improved my overall performance. It seems like no matter how fast a stock goes up, it can come down even faster. Overall I have found that the upside missed by selling portions on the way up is small compared to the downside avoided by locking in some profits. Of course, I invest in a lot of small biotech that can be very volatile, but for the last few years, and 2020 in particular, it seems any stock can be quite volatile.

Patler
09-05-2020, 10:05 AM
As far as Zoom, not sure I understand the love cause the barrier for entry in this market is tiny for just about any other well funded large company.

That is my concern with ZM, and they have just a single "product". Zoom is the online meeting answer right now for many, but there have been a lot of other online meeting options in the past, and I see no reason why there won't be new ones, or resurrected old ones in the future. I don't know what ZM or anyone can do to protect their market.