PDA

View Full Version : It's a young men's game.....

Patler
06-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Saw this in an article about Jolly today:

In some ways, Jolly said he feels like he never left. Then again, things are vastly different. Just 18 players remain on the Packers’ roster since Jolly last played with the team in 2009, including only three defensive starters.

pbmax
06-05-2013, 08:10 AM
If you count backups at the time it would be Pickett, Raji, Matthews, Jones, Hawk, Bishop, Matthews and Tramontana. Not many.

rbaloha1
06-05-2013, 09:20 AM
If you count backups at the time it would be Pickett, Raji, Matthews, Jones, Hawk, Bishop, Matthews and Tramontana. Not many.

Good point.

Iron Mike
06-18-2013, 06:52 PM
http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Charles-Woodson-Chats-with-Media/3cd95f3d-39ce-4998-9f98-df7bcf681544

KYPack
06-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Um, how's Johnny playing or looking or whatever.

I keep seeing blurbs on him knowing that it will be a challenge, but does he have a shot, is he in some shape, what is up?

Joemailman
06-18-2013, 08:32 PM

I keep seeing blurbs on him knowing that it will be a challenge, but does he have a shot, is he in some shape, what is up?

He was heavy, but there was a video where he seemed to be moving okay. Hard to judge the big uglies until the pads go on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csN7hQmImRA

Fritz
06-18-2013, 08:34 PM

It's all a guessing game right now. By most accounts Jolly wasn't in fightin' shape, as you'd hope, but was not too far out of shape. He looked rusty but quick enough with his ha ds and feet. No purple lips, either. My guess is the Mike Neal experiment could mean coaches are already looking for ways to keep an extra lineman by counting him as an OLB. Just a guess.

Joemailman
06-18-2013, 08:37 PM
It's all a guessing game right now. By most accounts Jolly wasn't in fightin' shape, as you'd hope, but was not too far out of shape. He looked rusty but quick enough with his ha ds and feet. No purple lips, either. My guess is the Mike Neal experiment could mean coaches are already looking for ways to keep an extra lineman by counting him as an OLB. Just a guess.

That's my guess too. I think they're looking for a way to fit 7 DL on the roster.

bobblehead
06-18-2013, 08:40 PM

WEll, we know he has the skills. He is a quick/sudden guy for his size. He is big and strong. He has some semi polished moves. Really, the only question is, is he in any kind of athletic shape? If he is close enough to be in game shape by week 1 he makes the team, maybe starts. If not, he probably gets cut. How bad has he let his body slip?

bobblehead
06-18-2013, 08:41 PM
That's my guess too. I think they're looking for a way to fit 7 DL on the roster.

And as I said in another thread, this is the best battle of camp. We have 8 guys who WILL play DL in the NFL this season. Who do we keep and can we get anything for the other 2....or do we find a mystery injury to stash one.

Guiness
06-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Don't know that I'd put Jolly in the same category as the subject of the OP - Woodson is 7 years older than Jolly, who is 30 and should be in his prime, physically. Jolly's problem is mental and years away from the game, Woodson's is that he's over, or nearly over, the hill.

pbmax
06-19-2013, 11:10 AM
WEll, we know he has the skills. He is a quick/sudden guy for his size. He is big and strong. He has some semi polished moves. Really, the only question is, is he in any kind of athletic shape? If he is close enough to be in game shape by week 1 he makes the team, maybe starts. If not, he probably gets cut. How bad has he let his body slip?

If Raji just put the fight up against double teams that Jolly does, the run defense would improve immediately. Jolly at DT could get rooted out of a spot unlike Pickett a few years ago, but you could not get the second OL off him and on to the second level.