PDA

View Full Version : Chad Johnson's jibes get little response

woodbuck27
08-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Posted on Wed, Aug. 23, 2006

Chad Johnson's jibes get little response

Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Even though it's a preseason game, Cincinnati's Chad Johnson is up to his familiar charades with the Green Bay Packers on the schedule Monday night.

The Packers are refusing to play along with the flamboyant Pro Bowl wide receiver, however.

"We just go out there and play football. We'll let him make all of the jokes," Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson said.

Johnson said Tuesday that he was eagerly awaiting the matchup with Woodson and Al Harris, the Packers' other highly regarded cornerback.

Johnson made reference to the jersey numbers of Woodson (21) and Harris (31) as well as his own (85).

"Twenty-one plus 31 equals 85," Johnson said.

When informed of Johnson's fuzzy math, Woodson laughed incredulously.

"I don't know. I guess you do the math on that one. I haven't took a math class in years," said Woodson, whom the Packers signed as a free agent from Oakland in the offseason.

With Harris covering him most of the game, Green Bay held Johnson to five catches for 62 yards without a touchdown in the Bengals' 21-14 win last October in Cincinnati.

Johnson lavished praise on Harris by referring to him as the second best cornerback in the league, behind Denver's Champ Bailey.

Harris' response to Johnson's attempt this week to stir up a pregame exchange of words?

"All I know is that over two seasons I've been matching up (with the top receiver) and haven't (allowed) a 100-yard game yet. I don't know what that adds up to, how many quarters," Harris said.

LIGHT TURNS GREEN:

Head coach Mike McCarthy said after practice Wednesday that running back Ahman Green will play no more than the first two series in Monday's game.

It will be Green's preseason debut. He hasn't played since suffering a ruptured quadriceps tendon last Oct. 23, a week before the Packers-Bengals game.

"We're going to be smart with him," McCarthy said. "Probably a couple of series. We'll see how it goes."

Green will come out long before the rest of the starters. McCarthy plans to play the first-string offense as much as three quarters.

Strong safety Marquand Manuel and backup linebacker Brady Poppinga also will play for the first time in the preseason.

Manuel missed the first two weeks of training camp with a strained calf. Poppinga made a hasty recovery from a torn anterior-cruciate ligament in his left knee, sustained in December.

McCarthy said Manuel and Poppinga will be on the same playing schedule as Green for Monday.

"We played the starters 18 to 20 plays that first game (Aug. 12), so that's what we're looking at," McCarthy said.

OPEN AUDITION:

With fullback William Henderson's status for the Sept. 10 season opener up in the air, the Packers continue to experiment with fill-in's from other positions.

Tight ends David Martin and Donald Lee received reps at fullback in practice.

"We're just creating depth, and if we get into a problem where we do lose a fullback, you don't have to just can your whole game plan. You can keep rolling with it, just with a different personnel grouping but the same plays," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said.

Running backs Samkon Gado and Noah Herron also have been used at fullback this week.

Henderson underwent arthroscopic surgery Monday on a knee he injured in the Packers' 38-10 win over Atlanta on Saturday. The 12th-year veteran will be out at least two weeks. He watched practice Wednesday.

Vonta Leach is next on the depth chart at fullback, but he's had trouble catching the football out of the backfield during the preseason. He dropped two passes Wednesday.

NOTES:

Running back Najeh Davenport was sidelined with a hip flexor he suffered in practice Tuesday.

Tight end Bubba Franks returned to practice after missing a day because of a strained foot.
Cornerbacks Mike Hawkins and Patrick Dendy returned to practice on a limited basis. Dendy had been out since suffering an ankle injury on the first day of training camp July 28. ...

Offensive tackle Todd Williams was released. Williams, a third-year player, suffered a knee injury while blocking on an extra-point kick in Saturday's game.

PACKERS ! FAITH !!