PDA

View Full Version : Two Weeks till preseason

Upnorth
06-06-2013, 02:27 PM
And does anyone south of the border want updates on the greatest CFL team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders??? How about the rest of the teams?

swede
06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Is it like Australian football where you have three different sized balls and you kick some, run with others, and throw the biggest one at wallabies?

Guiness
06-06-2013, 03:28 PM
And does anyone south of the border want updates on the greatest CFL team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders??? How about the rest of the teams?

8 days until they make the trip to Commonwealth stadium!

mraynrand
06-06-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm going to avoid the pre-season rush and start being bored right now

Upnorth
06-06-2013, 04:23 PM
8 days until they make the trip to Commonwealth stadium!

We are so lucky with 2 whole months more of football that matters. I still can't believe you cheer for the damn eskies you poor lost soul.

Cheesehead Craig
06-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Is it like Australian football where you have three different sized balls and you kick some, run with others, and throw the biggest one at wallabies?

That's just awesome. Repped.

MadtownPacker
06-06-2013, 07:52 PM
No I think it's like the one from Starship Troopers where they use a metal ball.

Fritz
06-06-2013, 08:26 PM

Three different-sized balls? I saw that at a freak show in Armadillo Texas in '74.

gbgary
06-06-2013, 08:28 PM
letmethinkaboutitno!

woodbuck27
06-06-2013, 08:39 PM

Funny as usual Swede. Up here it's against the law to throw footballs or balls of any kind at wallabies. We simply try to avoid them.

There are many differences in the Canadian and American football styles of football. I'll try to cover some of those differences:

The NFL utilizes four downs to move the ball 10 yards Vs the CFL, which has three downs to move the ball 10 yards. Thus the Canadian game is more passing-oriented than the American style of offense that utilizes a balanced attack of rushing and passing the ball.

The American field is 100 yards long and 53 1/3 yards wide, with end zones 10 yards deep and the goalposts situated at the back of the end zone. The Canadian field is 110 yards long and 65 yards wide, with end zones 20 yards deep and the goalposts situated on the goal line. The larger field in Canada provides for a more wide-open style of play.

The Canadian teams have 12 players per side. American teams have 11 per side.

In Canadian football, a receiver needs to put only one foot down inbounds for a legal catch.
In American football, a receiver must put two feet down inbounds for a catch to count.

In Canadian ball, a kick not returned out of the end zone results in a 1-point "rouge" or "single" for the kicking team. That scoring play doesn't exist in American football.

In Canadian ball, if a ball is fumbled out of bounds, the last team to touch before it leaves play is given possession. In American ball, if a ball is fumbled out of bounds, possession is given to the team that had possession on the play, unless the play was a fourth down and the team in possession did not convert for a first down.

In Canadian ball, the defensive team can return a botched extra point attempt and score a 2-point defensive conversion. In American ball, a botched extra point attempt following a touchdown (equivalent to the conversion in rugby) is considered dead.

Canadian football a little more like rugby in that players can kick from any point on the field, at any time, and anyone who was onside at the time of the kick can recover. American football only allows kicks from behind the line of scrimmage.

The Canadian game is somewhat faster-paced and more wide open or explosive in terms of turn- arounds, making the Canadian game fun to watch or exciting right down to the wire.

The NFL players are better gridiron players than what we have in the CFL. Still the style of play in the CFL is of an excellent quality and awesome to watch...very exciting football.

GO Montreal Alouettes !

Cheesehead Craig
06-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Funny as usual Swede. Up here it's against the law to throw footballs or balls of any kind at wallabies. We simply try to avoid them.

There are many differences in the Canadian and American football styles of football. I'll try to cover some of those differences:

The NFL utilizes four downs to move the ball 10 yards Vs the CFL, which has three downs to move the ball 10 yards. Thus the Canadian game is more passing-oriented than the American style of offense that utilizes a balanced attack of rushing and passing the ball.

The American field is 100 yards long and 53 1/3 yards wide, with end zones 10 yards deep and the goalposts situated at the back of the end zone. The Canadian field is 110 yards long and 65 yards wide, with end zones 20 yards deep and the goalposts situated on the goal line. The larger field in Canada provides for a more wide-open style of play.

The Canadian teams have 12 players per side. American teams have 11 per side.

In Canadian football, a receiver needs to put only one foot down inbounds for a legal catch.
In American football, a receiver must put two feet down inbounds for a catch to count.

In Canadian ball, a kick not returned out of the end zone results in a 1-point "rouge" or "single" for the kicking team. That scoring play doesn't exist in American football.

In Canadian ball, if a ball is fumbled out of bounds, the last team to touch before it leaves play is given possession. In American ball, if a ball is fumbled out of bounds, possession is given to the team that had possession on the play, unless the play was a fourth down and the team in possession did not convert for a first down.

In Canadian ball, the defensive team can return a botched extra point attempt and score a 2-point defensive conversion. In American ball, a botched extra point attempt following a touchdown (equivalent to the conversion in rugby) is considered dead.

Canadian football a little more like rugby in that players can kick from any point on the field, at any time, and anyone who was onside at the time of the kick can recover. American football only allows kicks from behind the line of scrimmage.

The Canadian game is somewhat faster-paced and more wide open or explosive in terms of turn- arounds, making the Canadian game fun to watch or exciting right down to the wire.

The NFL players are better gridiron players than what we have in the CFL. Still the style of play in the CFL is of an excellent quality and awesome to watch...very exciting football.

GO Montreal Alouettes !

They make up these rules as they go along? It's like a game Calvin and Hobbes play.

mraynrand
06-06-2013, 09:31 PM
They make up these rules as they go along? It's like a game Calvin and Hobbes play.

Calvinball! repped

http://www.insaner.com/imgs/cball.gif

mraynrand
06-06-2013, 09:33 PM
No I think it's like the one from Starship Troopers where they use a metal ball.

awesome! Ref to gayest game in cinematic history. repped

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_omajrOlT4Tc/SYCt2Fd1UKI/AAAAAAAAAJA/ea4KeFIC3u0/s400/zanderrico.jpg

MadScientist
06-07-2013, 09:15 AM
In Canadian ball, the defensive team can return a botched extra point attempt and score a 2-point defensive conversion.
That is one rule that would be worth bringing into the NFL. College allows it as well. The defense should be able to score as much as the offense on any given play.

Guiness
06-07-2013, 12:13 PM
The drop kick from anywhere on the field by any player is an interesting one, I don't know that I've ever seen it.

My college team had a punter with a monster leg, if left unmolested he could punt the ball 60+ yards. We got more than a few points for kicking through the endzone from near midfield.

Teamcheez1
06-07-2013, 12:31 PM
I thinks it's nice that they have cupcakes and juice boxes for the players after every game.

Iron Mike
06-08-2013, 12:02 AM
The drop kick from anywhere on the field by any player is an interesting one, I don't know that I've ever seen it.

My college team had a punter with a monster leg, if left unmolested he could punt the ball 60+ yards. We got more than a few points for kicking through the endzone from near midfield.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loyxi1hh3x1qzw4lno1_500.jpg

Dropkick??

Upnorth
06-11-2013, 11:33 AM
So tomorrow at 8pm Toronto visist Winnipeg in the preseason start. As a preseason game without the riders it will be exciting to watch the first five minutes, then I will be satisfied until Friday at 9pm when the Riders own Commonwealth stadium (again)!!!