PDA

View Full Version : Neal The Tweener

pbmax
06-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Mike Neal has some company. Rex Ryan has similar ideas. Hybrid 3-4 here we come!

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/06/jets_quinton_coples_still_tryi_1.html

Upnorth
06-08-2013, 07:16 PM
He mentioned rep a couple of times, mad's lord of the rats thread is really affecting the league

3irty1
06-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Hmmm. Not sure what's going on with the Jets but Mike Neals experiments at OLB probably have more to do with Clay Matthews than with Mike Neal. If Neal can stand up and shift into Matthews spot, Matthews is free to go anywhere.

wist43
06-08-2013, 11:32 PM
I wouldn't bitch about the 2-4 if we had more size, and more options meandering around the LOS presnap.

The way Baltimore ran it, they had guys wandering around the line in the 260-270 lbs range - that gave them a lot of size up front, and offered a lot of options for their pass rush. Capers 2-4 is much more static, and our players are smaller.

I thought about Neal in this role last year, but dismissed it b/c I didn't think he was athletic or fast enough to carry out all of the other non-rush duties. If they do stand Neal up, I'll certainly be pulling for it to work - the idea is a step in the right direction IMO.

pbmax
06-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Who was on the field for the Ravens 2-4. Suggs and Kruger almost certainly. Ngata? And who else?

pbmax
06-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Hmmm. Not sure what's going on with the Jets but Mike Neals experiments at OLB probably have more to do with Clay Matthews than with Mike Neal. If Neal can stand up and shift into Matthews spot, Matthews is free to go anywhere.

Could be. But does Neal start at DE (in a 3 man line) and stand up, allowing Mattthews to move?

Or does he line up at OLB in a base 3-4 with Matthews elsewhere?

Putting him at OLB with a 3 man line means it would be easy to force him into coverage.

My first guess is that its a 3-4 personnel package that can then morph into a 2-4 look with Matthews as nickel or rover. Gives some flexibility to D without needing to substitute. But you would seem to want to pass on it.

rbaloha1
06-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Naah -- Neal is a scrub one dimensional d-lineman that could be a late cut.

Bossman641
06-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Naah -- Neal is a scrub one dimensional d-lineman that could be a late cut.

Capers is wasting time cross-training a cut candidate?

rbaloha1
06-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Capers is wasting time cross-training a cut candidate?

Maybe.

Carolina_Packer
06-09-2013, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't bitch about the 2-4 if we had more size, and more options meandering around the LOS presnap.

The way Baltimore ran it, they had guys wandering around the line in the 260-270 lbs range - that gave them a lot of size up front, and offered a lot of options for their pass rush. Capers 2-4 is much more static, and our players are smaller.

I thought about Neal in this role last year, but dismissed it b/c I didn't think he was athletic or fast enough to carry out all of the other non-rush duties. If they do stand Neal up, I'll certainly be pulling for it to work - the idea is a step in the right direction IMO.

He's been hard to depend on, given injury history and his suspension last year. I hope it works too. He needs to find a role and show what he's got. Maybe this will give him that opportunity.

rbaloha1
06-10-2013, 09:17 AM
He's been hard to depend on, given injury history and his suspension last year. I hope it works too. He needs to find a role and show what he's got. Maybe this will give him that opportunity.

Certainly this is Neal's last chance. Packers are probably fed up with his injury issues.

3irty1
06-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Back in 2006 Capers did similar stuff with Vonnie Holiday back when they ran a 3-4/4-3 hybrid. For the most part that team would run a 4 man front in obvious passing situations and a 3 man front otherwise. Capers had some fancy presnap moves though where he'd shift Holiday into a 7-tech and the rest of the DL would shift to the right with him. Their strong-side DE was Kevin Carter who was big for a 4-3 DE at 290 lbs so it was no big deal for him to move inside. This shift would essentially shift from a 4-3 to a 3-4 or 4-3 under depending on where Jason Taylor went after being displaced by Holiday. Since it was all presnap, this kind of stuff made for a lot of timeouts called by the offense and a lot of Jason Taylor going unblocked or being blocked by TE's and RB's and some very effective zone blitzes. He won DPOY that year.

Upnorth
06-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Back in 2006 Capers did similar stuff with Vonnie Holiday back when they ran a 3-4/4-3 hybrid. For the most part that team would run a 4 man front in obvious passing situations and a 3 man front otherwise. Capers had some fancy presnap moves though where he'd shift Holiday into a 7-tech and the rest of the DL would shift to the right with him. Their strong-side DE was Kevin Carter who was big for a 4-3 DE at 290 lbs so it was no big deal for him to move inside. This shift would essentially shift from a 4-3 to a 3-4 or 4-3 under depending on where Jason Taylor went after being displaced by Holiday. Since it was all presnap, this kind of stuff made for a lot of timeouts called by the offense and a lot of Jason Taylor going unblocked or being blocked by TE's and RB's and some very effective zone blitzes. He won DPOY that year.

I remember watching clips of Jason Taylor from that year and thinking he was a beast at first, but he played with some very talented and underpraised people around him. The real question is who do we have that could fill Kevin Carter's role? Is JOnes that guy?

Patler
06-10-2013, 11:49 AM
I remember watching clips of Jason Taylor from that year and thinking he was a beast at first, but he played with some very talented and underpraised people around him. The real question is who do we have that could fill Kevin Carter's role? Is JOnes that guy?

Johnny Jolly.

Upnorth
06-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Johnny Jolly.

So thats why he bulked up in prison:wink:

3irty1
06-10-2013, 12:01 PM

I think so. He's about the right size and has college experience playing outside and inside. CJ Wilson was a 4-3 DE in college as well so he could probably handle an assignment like this. Not sure Wilson will make the team this year though, touch competition on the DL and it could well come down to 1 cheap year of Wilson vs 3 cheap years of Boyd. Daniels is a possibility as well, he's pretty stout for a man of his dimensions.

Another player this could really work for is Raji. For him this would represent a shift from a NT position to DT superstar 3-tech position which is exactly where a lot of folks on this board feel he would do the most damage. Big fat Keith Traylor was the Dolphins NT in 2006 and unsurprisingly collected a career high in sacks.

denverYooper
06-10-2013, 12:05 PM
So thats why he bulked up in prison:wink:

It's funny that not a whole lot is being made about Jolly's comeback attempt. With Vick, there was a humongous media circus and much was made about the second chance that the league and the Eagles were giving him. With Jolly, it's pretty quiet.

cheesner
06-10-2013, 03:07 PM
It's funny that not a whole lot is being made about Jolly's comeback attempt. With Vick, there was a humongous media circus and much was made about the second chance that the league and the Eagles were giving him. With Jolly, it's pretty quiet.
The big difference is that Vick was a boderline superstar and #1 overall pick. He also hurt animals and in this country, that is viewed by the media as worse than rape, murder, or raping a murderer; let alone taking a little codeine.

Fritz
06-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm interested to see how this plays out with Neal. I'm wondering if this means they keep seven defensive linemen now: Raji, Pickett, Wilson, Jones, Daniels, Neal, and Jolly, with Neal also serving as a backup outside linebacker, thus keeping one less of those. Perry, Matthews, Moses, Neal, and Jones sliding outside if need be?

pbmax
06-11-2013, 07:13 PM
I think Jolly's weight is mainly a byproduct of his choice of mixer. Should have used Diet Dr. Pepper.

Maxie the Taxi
08-16-2013, 09:28 AM
pb, here's an interesting take on Neal...the possibility of reviving Mathews' role as a "spy." I remember a few weeks ago I suggested the Pack play a "spy" defense to contain mobile QB's and you weren't to keen on it.

Does this article change your mind?

Maxie the Taxi
08-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Oops. Forgot to post the link:

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-point-of-veau-mike-neal-to-free-up-clay-matthews-to-spy-mobile-qbs

bobblehead
08-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Funny, I think it has everything to do with Neal.....and the fact that his next suspension will be huge so he went off the juice and can't hold 300 lbs anymore.

pbmax
08-16-2013, 10:10 AM
I definitely think Neal's change in role will affect Matthews job. However, Kapernick is not Rothliesberger and represents a different threat. So yes Matthews role will change but I am not sure spy is that role. I think it might be more Woodson's rover role occasionally.

That BR video demonstrates a weird use of a spy. BR is not a threat to run, he is a threat to bounce off sack attempts, stand tall and force your coverage to breakdown from exhaustion. He stays in the pocket like Favre used to, keeping plays alive past 6 seconds. That Zombo sack was coverage plus a good Matthews force. By the way Cullen Jenkins didn't go anywhere, but he did draw a double team. :)

CK is a danger to break the pocket. I agree with the author that Walden was a poor spy as he is WAY late in committing when he is in space. Matthews might do better dedicated to that role in passing downs.

But CK is also a danger to run the read-option. The offense gets to pick which side it runs an option to and WHO to option (someone is ALWAYS unblocked). I am not sure a spy helps in that case and I think its a simple answer to a very complicated scheme question: how to defend the option. So I would not be surprised to see Matthews roam free on passing downs but I would be surprised to see him roam free when the read option is in play.

mraynrand
08-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Kapernick can run away from a LB spy, even Matthews. To me the difficulty seems to be how to defend against a mobile QB when you're running man coverage. If Capers and Co. don't have that figured out (either a way to defend during man coverage or improved zone coverage) I think they get lit up again. They seemed to be able to defend Vick, but I think they didn't worry as much about his passing game because it lacked accuracy. Also, Vick wasn't running the same way as CK. The Packers have had a whole offseason to prepare for this, and the Niners have had a whole off season to prepare counter measures, which makes game one especially interesting.

denverYooper
08-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Vick's been tuned up several more times than CK at this point, too. That will put a hitch in a guy's giddyup.

Speaking of Vick... the Eagles will be a team to keep an eye on. Will the Vick-led Chip Kelley O be the next killer app, or will it just be another pets.com?

wist43
08-16-2013, 12:38 PM
The read-option becomes easier to deal with, as does any offensive alignment, when you control the LOS. Controlling the LOS isn't much of a consideration for Capers though, if it were, he'd play more DL.

If we could control the LOS, spying Kapnerfucker becomes an easier task. You don't need to be able to run with him stride for stride if you're forcing him east-west, and forcing him to wait for the play to develop. Capers may have "studied" up on how to defend the pistol, and that may help some, but he can't wait to abandon any responsibility at the LOS for coverage in the back end - which is a mess half the time anyway.

That said, I do wish they'd employ more big, athletic rovers akin to Neal at the LOS - ala Baltimore; and spying Kapnerfucker makes a lot of sense if you can at least break even at the LOS, and play more zone in the back end.

I don't expect Capers to do any of those things though. I fully expect he'll play the Niners almost identical to the way he did last year. They'll run all over us, and we'll leave SF licking our wounds and bemoaning the fact that they didn't fire Capers 8 months earlier.

packer4life
08-16-2013, 12:59 PM
I definitely think Neal's change in role will affect Matthews job. However, Kapernick is not Rothliesberger and represents a different threat. So yes Matthews role will change but I am not sure spy is that role. I think it might be more Woodson's rover role occasionally.

That BR video demonstrates a weird use of a spy. BR is not a threat to run, he is a threat to bounce off sack attempts, stand tall and force your coverage to breakdown from exhaustion. He stays in the pocket like Favre used to, keeping plays alive past 6 seconds. That Zombo sack was coverage plus a good Matthews force. By the way Cullen Jenkins didn't go anywhere, but he did draw a double team. :)

CK is a danger to break the pocket. I agree with the author that Walden was a poor spy as he is WAY late in committing when he is in space. Matthews might do better dedicated to that role in passing downs.

But CK is also a danger to run the read-option. The offense gets to pick which side it runs an option to and WHO to option (someone is ALWAYS unblocked). I am not sure a spy helps in that case and I think its a simple answer to a very complicated scheme question: how to defend the option. So I would not be surprised to see Matthews roam free on passing downs but I would be surprised to see him roam free when the read option is in play.

Agree, that video of "allowing Zombo to sack the QB" was completely ineffective for the author's point.

packer4life
08-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Vick's been tuned up several more times than CK at this point, too. That will put a hitch in a guy's giddyup.

Speaking of Vick... the Eagles will be a team to keep an eye on. Will the Vick-led Chip Kelley O be the next killer app, or will it just be another pets.com?

Had a chance to watch the first half of the Philly-Carolina game last night. Vick looked solid, and I tell ya in that offense regardless of whether the starting QB is Vick or Foles, McCoy is going to abolutely destroy opposing defenses. The good thing in this equation is that Philly's improvement will lead to more losses by NYG and the skins; also if Vick is named starting QB you know eventually shit will hit the fan and he will resort to playing horrendous, mistake-ridden football.

pbmax
08-16-2013, 02:07 PM
The read-option becomes easier to deal with, as does any offensive alignment, when you control the LOS. Controlling the LOS isn't much of a consideration for Capers though, if it were, he'd play more DL.

They double team two of the lineman and the 3rd (DE/OLB) is weakside. The DON'T BLOCK the playside DE. Its not about controlling the LOS, its about assignments and speed.

The single drum in your one man band is broken. Despite having seen the physical and dominant Green Bay Packers D line destroyed by the smaller, althletic and mobile Broncos O line in the 1997 Super Bowl, you still want us to think you can manhandle any offensive line strategy and succeed.

Ask Gilbert how being beefy worked. Ask Dotson and Reggie about how their length allowed them to dominate. They got worked by the smaller and more mobile line.

Its patience, assignment and execution football (speed always helps). No amount of hand waving over toughness, size or dominance changes that fact.

Non traditional offenses are DESIGNED to neutralize an opponents natural advantage. You don't bother with this offense if all you want to do is win one on one battles on the LOS. Its built to eliminate the need.

mraynrand
08-16-2013, 02:14 PM
PB, what do you think the major adjustment the Packers will make and what the counter the Niners will use? Both teams have been planning for this game for 6 months.

wist43
08-16-2013, 04:46 PM
They double team two of the lineman and the 3rd (DE/OLB) is weakside. The DON'T BLOCK the playside DE. Its not about controlling the LOS, its about assignments and speed.

The single drum in your one man band is broken. Despite having seen the physical and dominant Green Bay Packers D line destroyed by the smaller, althletic and mobile Broncos O line in the 1997 Super Bowl, you still want us to think you can manhandle any offensive line strategy and succeed.

Ask Gilbert how being beefy worked. Ask Dotson and Reggie about how their length allowed them to dominate. They got worked by the smaller and more mobile line.

Its patience, assignment and execution football (speed always helps). No amount of hand waving over toughness, size or dominance changes that fact.

Non traditional offenses are DESIGNED to neutralize an opponents natural advantage. You don't bother with this offense if all you want to do is win one on one battles on the LOS. Its built to eliminate the need.

That's a bunch of crap max...

The ZBS used by the Broncos was nothing short of dirty - and ask Gilbert, the first thing he'll tell you is Mark Schlereth should be publicly executed. I think Schlereth still has a restraining order against Gilbert. The way they cut on the backside is the reason Gilbert never walked right again - and I think they've made rule changes to deal with that.

As for your contention that defending the pistol is about speed as opposed to being able to control the LOS - again BS. Yes, they may leave the playside DE unblocked - but that's where he has to be disciplined and assignment sure - we're in agreement there. But if you have DL on the field who can 2-gap effectively, and at least neutralize those double teams, then you've controlled the LOS, and if Kapernerfucker does go ahead and hand it off to Gore, Gore is going exactly 2.1 yds - if he doesn't hand it off, Kapnerfucker is going for -1.3 yds b/c the DE, or OLB stayed home, did his job, and put Kapnerfucker on his ass.

To me, that is controlling the LOS.

That said - what DE?? In Capers scheme, what DE?? In his vaunted 2-4, there is no DE.

As it is, we only have one 2-gap DL on the roster; Raji gets washed out; and nobody is assignment sure or disciplined - and that is almost all on Capers.

I don't know who you are trying to apologize for, but if it's Capers, you've lost that battle before I've fired the first shot at you.

Guiness
08-16-2013, 05:00 PM
That's a bunch of crap max...

The ZBS used by the Broncos was nothing short of dirty - and ask Gilbert, the first thing he'll tell you is Mark Schlereth should be publicly executed. I think Schlereth still has a restraining order against Gilbert. The way they cut on the backside is the reason Gilbert never walked right again - and I think they've made rule changes to deal with that.

I'd be curious to watch an old Denver game with someone who understands the rules as they pertain to inline blocking (I know I don't) and see how many of their 'blocks' would result in penalties today - even before the change to peel-back blocks this year.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2013, 05:10 PM
I think we need to see some real games before deciding that Neal can be a stand-up linebacker. It could be that offensive coordinators will find weaknesses in his game and abuse him.

Guiness
08-16-2013, 06:20 PM
I think we need to see some real games before deciding that Neal can be a stand-up linebacker. It could be that offensive coordinators will find weaknesses in his game and abuse him.

If Raji can successfully drop into coverage, I'm sure Neale will be fine :thank:

bobblehead
08-16-2013, 06:49 PM
I'd be curious to watch an old Denver game with someone who understands the rules as they pertain to inline blocking (I know I don't) and see how many of their 'blocks' would result in penalties today - even before the change to peel-back blocks this year.

I have no idea what rule got changed, but I can tell you one thing. You can not block a player below the waist who is engaged by another player. Never could. If Gilbert can't walk right, its because he didn't have the technique to defeat a chop block while not engaged....or the refs weren't throwing flags they should have. The rule was in place then and now.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2013, 06:50 PM
If Raji can successfully drop into coverage, I'm sure Neale will be fine :thank:

Of course when Raji drops in the middle he is covering a zone, to put it kindly. His job might also be described as imitating a big tree stump.

Pass coverage, yes, but the linebacker has responsibility for more space than a DE against runs. Will Neal have the instincts to recognize wide runs, or will he be another Erik Walden?

I'm hopeful that Neal will be a contributor somewhere, he's on large side of a "tweener" so is fine on defensive line if that is the best spot for him.

Guiness
08-16-2013, 07:34 PM
I have no idea what rule got changed, but I can tell you one thing. You can not block a player below the waist who is engaged by another player. Never could. If Gilbert can't walk right, its because he didn't have the technique to defeat a chop block while not engaged....or the refs weren't throwing flags they should have. The rule was in place then and now.

One rule change would be the ban on 'clipping' that came in '99. There's no skill involved in throwing yourself at a guy's knees from behind, and no defense against it.

pbmax
08-16-2013, 09:50 PM
PB, what do you think the major adjustment the Packers will make and what the counter the Niners will use? Both teams have been planning for this game for 6 months.

That's going to be the fun of that first game. The Niners have some options as they could open with plays that counter what they expect from Capers and if at all successful revisit the basic read option later in the game. Even the scrape technique the Packers tired to use (and failed esp. in the second half) has a counter.

They could try conventional running, more like they did with Alex Smith at QB in the first game and vary off that.

I don't think they want Kap in the pocket five steps deep trying to do three reads yet, though he may be closer to that now with another offseason.

I think 49ers stay with the run game and try to catch the Packers sneaking everyone closer to the LOS on play action. Then try to pass deep with 2 patterns. If I am Capers I open in base and freely deploy whatever Neal is designed to do with the Nickel. I presume its some kind of big nickel package. But I haven't a clue who comes out of the game for him. The only reason to put Neal in the game is to stay big against the run and provide alternate pass rush. Matthews isn't coming off the field so he will be elsewhere, blitzing, covering Vernon Davis or spying I haven't any idea yet.

pbmax
08-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Kapernerfucker does go ahead and hand it off to Gore, Gore is going exactly 2.1 yds - if he doesn't hand it off, Kapnerfucker is going for -1.3 yds b/c the DE, or OLB stayed home, did his job, and put Kapnerfucker on his ass.

To me, that is controlling the LOS.

Even Ngata had trouble escaping that double team and Gore ran roughshod over them in the Super Bowl. The Raven had success in the first half by using the unblocked OLB to force a give and sending the ILBs and safety up to force immediately. That pulls someone out of coverage and CK had some success throwing the ball against it, but he was off target early.

Raji (who wants to be quick and penetrate, has had trouble with this) and Pickett have to occupy the two blockers and keep them off the ILBs but they won't be tackling Gore on read option. The give is essentially an on tackle play.

That said - what DE?? In Capers scheme, what DE?? In his vaunted 2-4, there is no DE.

On several plays, including the TD from CK, they were in Eagle Oakie and had three DL in there (Wilson most often).

I will say this, I am not sure Eagle Oakie is the best alignment to have facing that play. Even if Raji stymied the double team, by virtue of his alignment at 3 tech, the Guard and Tackle had an angle on him and that left a huge hole to his right. Had Kap given to Gore, Walden was tied up with Walker and Jones would have had an acre of ground to cover one on one. Hawk got caught up in the middle lost somehow.

Maybe this is part of the Neal thing, but having a DT at 3 tech on the playside of read option is probably not ideal. We'll see.

Maxie the Taxi
08-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Great discussion, even though most of it is over my head. The one thing I know for sure is that the 1st game will indeed be interesting. Too bad the Pack can't play the Niners three or four weeks into the season so they'd be able to see what San Fran does on offense and how other teams defense it.

mraynrand
08-16-2013, 10:33 PM
The Raven had success in the first half by using the unblocked OLB to force a give and sending the ILBs and safety up to force immediately.

I kinda figured the Packers might do something similar - try to force the action from the start - force CK to declare to the side they want - into Matthews if they can. But they have to do it with zone - and Matthews and whoever is forcing can't blow it. Trouble is, what down and distance do they deploy that and it all falls apart if they can't stop the run. Only worried about 3rd and long if they man cover.

I feel like what I just wrote is garbage. I don't have a good feel at all about what's going to happen.

wist43
08-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Even Ngata had trouble escaping that double team and Gore ran roughshod over them in the Super Bowl. The Raven had success in the first half by using the unblocked OLB to force a give and sending the ILBs and safety up to force immediately. That pulls someone out of coverage and CK had some success throwing the ball against it, but he was off target early.

This is why drafting Brandon Williams when he was available in the 3rd round was so important. For one, Pickett is going to hit the wall sooner rather than later - and having 2 legit 2-gap DL would go a long way toward shutting down SF's running game, or any teams running game.

The first thing I would look to shut down against that alignment would be the give to Gore - that is just fundamental football to me; control the LOS on every snap, and that allows you do what you need to do elsewhere. Capers simply does not view DL play in that way.

Capers is very unsound in what he does up front - everyone notices the mess in the back end b/c receivers run free against us more than any other team - it's so obvious even my wife can see it; but for my money, the number 1 reason Capers should be fired is how he assembles the front six - I don't even consider that we have a front seven, so I'm just going to stop using the term in relation to Capers defense.

Raji (who wants to be quick and penetrate, has had trouble with this) and Pickett have to occupy the two blockers and keep them off the ILBs but they won't be tackling Gore on read option. The give is essentially an on tackle play.

The ILB's have to honor their responsibility inside on read option, but we don't have any DL that can anchor. On Kapnerfuckers 56 yd run, Raji got blown off the line with a simple shove, Walden had no clue what he was doing; and Woodson took himself out of the play with false steps. Capers is the one who put those guys in those positions to fail.

Capers has misused Raji since the day the Packers drafted him - if I'm Raji, I'm running for the exit unless they fire Capers by the end of the season. I don't think Jones has a clue what kind of mess he's been drafted into.

On several plays, including the TD from CK, they were in Eagle Oakie and had three DL in there (Wilson most often).

I will say this, I am not sure Eagle Oakie is the best alignment to have facing that play. Even if Raji stymied the double team, by virtue of his alignment at 3 tech, the Guard and Tackle had an angle on him and that left a huge hole to his right. Had Kap given to Gore, Walden was tied up with Walker and Jones would have had an acre of ground to cover one on one. Hawk got caught up in the middle lost somehow.

On Kapnershitheads 56 yd run, Raji was at 5T, DE - and simply got shoved out of the way... maybe his assignment was the inside gap, and the combination of his responsibility and the offensive play call contributed to his being blown away so easily, I don't know - but playing Raji in that way against the Niners was a recipe for disaster; all 3 DL needed to be 2-gapping, and keep the LB's free to flow to the ball. Of course we don't have DL capable of doing that - so we end up with the mess we got handed to us.

Maybe this is part of the Neal thing, but having a DT at 3 tech on the playside of read option is probably not ideal. We'll see.

Not drafting Brandon Williams when they had the chance will haunt this team for a long time - b/c even next year, after Capers is hopefully fired - I don't think TT will do anything about addressing our lack of 2-gap players... which is insane considering we play a 2-4 most of the time.

Notice which team did snap Williams up?? The Ravens.

The Ravens are a defensive minded team - the Packers are not. They improved their defense, the Packers did not.

pbmax
08-16-2013, 11:00 PM
I kinda figured the Packers might do something similar - try to force the action from the start - force CK to declare to the side they want - into Matthews if they can. But they have to do it with zone - and Matthews and whoever is forcing can't blow it. Trouble is, what down and distance do they deploy that and it all falls apart if they can't stop the run. Only worried about 3rd and long if they man cover.

I feel like what I just wrote is garbage. I don't have a good feel at all about what's going to happen.

I know the feeling. The problem with forcing the give is that unless you pull the safety down early, those big lineman are going to disrupt or slow the ILBs at some point and Gore will be gone. Kind of like that Adrian Peterson play right though a hole over right tackle just one millisecond ahead of Jones closing the hole. The Ravens stopped CK running, but Gore was killing them.

And once CK settled down, he started to find holes, including VD, in the single safety coverage. Unless you want Gore or don't fear the pass, you have to be patient front side and get penetration from someone backside to hit the QB if he decides to wait or throw.

Here is another thing Neal could achieve at OLB and its precisely what Walden couldn't. If Neal is OLB and scraping (crashing inside) and the 49ers do their alteration to get a blocker on him (usually H-Back), Neal could bury that TE/H-back where Walden was dancing. Do that, and the man advantage dries up.

Frightening thing there is that CK is headed out wide.

Guiness
08-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Frightening thing there is that CK is headed out wide.

I still have trouble believing a pro team will continue to send their franchise QB out wide.

CK and RW are making relative peanuts. Washington has more invested in RGIII, but still not money that even approaches the franchise QB tender. Heck, it doesn't even approach the franchise TE number! So they're playing with house money, and will continue to run these guys around, although the Redskins have already made noises about slowing that down. Will teams keep this up when these players sign their second contract? Will they last until their second contact?

So many NFL rules over the years were about protecting the quarterback.

packer4life
08-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Kaeperdick was in for 4 plays last night. He ran no read option, nor did the backups from what I saw. Harbaugh is intent on hiding any adjustments he may have made to that package, and for good reason. Game 1 is going to be a true chess match.